• 99 results
Avatar image for galactusasssdin
Posted by Galactusasssdin (11 posts) 3 months, 7 days ago

Poll: Thor (Post-Infinity War) vs Superman and Doomsday: Lightning vs Heat Vision (61 votes)

Lightning 64%
Heat Vision 36%

Thor takes them on in an energy struggle:

No Caption Provided

#1 Posted by KalKent (1698 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor's lightning is not this good

#2 Posted by xZone (10339 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor get to charge his lightning or not? If he does he curbstomps

X

#3 Posted by ThunderPrince (6923 posts) - - Show Bio

@xzone said:

Thor get to charge his lightning or not? If he does he curbstomps

X

#4 Posted by CyberpunkCop (2779 posts) - - Show Bio

We really need some new live action powerhouses because this is getting tiresome

#5 Posted by Buckwheat (2259 posts) - - Show Bio

Is Thor up against both at the same time?

Either way, Thor looses IMO

#6 Posted by xZone (10339 posts) - - Show Bio
Gallery image 1Gallery image 2

Show me HV doing anything even close to these

X

Avatar image for darkpsychiclord_prime
#7 Posted by DarkPsychicLord_Prime (4041 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor stomps lol, they aren't on his level.

#8 Posted by DammeFavour (8288 posts) - - Show Bio

Heat vision generates enough force and heat to cut clean through a skyscraper in about a second, it would absolutely have no problem cleaving through a leviathan. Lightning might be better aoe but it's not worth much in a direct attack like this since thor's self generated lightning aren't exactly impressive

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6891767abb2
#9 Posted by deactivated-5c6891767abb2 (1820 posts) - - Show Bio

Bunny Bugs wins

#10 Posted by TheGrat1 (471 posts) - - Show Bio

Uh, I think they would just pass through each other. I can not recall Thor getting into a "beam struggle" with his lightning ever.

For what it is worth: This calculation states that the energy of Kal-El's heat vision is equivalent to a 3 mile long bolt of lightning per second in terms of energy.

#11 Posted by Erkan12 (8342 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Edited by Amcu (16213 posts) - - Show Bio

Heat vision is the least impressive aspect of DCEU Kryptonians. Not saying it isn't powerful but its not up to this level. Thor's lighting has feats that utterly dwarf the best we've seen from heat vision.

#13 Posted by uugieboogie (13023 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends really. Thor’s lightning beams have been powerful enough to shatter an infinity stone so there’s that. He also completely rag dolled Thanos who barely moved a few feet from Hulk barrage. Summoned lightning has been strong enough to completely decimate the surrounding area. The most I remember Heat Vision doing is melting metal, cutting though concrete, heating up a door knob, damaging in he batplane’s wing, and damaging the inside of the Kryptonian ship. The last feat is impressive but not really compared to Thor’s lightning going though a leviathan and one shotting it. Both the leviathan and Kryptonian pretty much has the same durability feats so there’s that.

Avatar image for thebestofthebest
#14 Posted by ThEBeStOfTheBeST (10449 posts) - - Show Bio

Heat Vision.

#15 Posted by geeman2 (2006 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor.

#16 Posted by xZone (10339 posts) - - Show Bio

@thebestofthebest: You must be joking. I know you overrated HV, but come now, let’s be reasonable people here. Thor’s lightning from phase one was destroying massive building sized leviathan for goodness sake

X

#17 Edited by ThEBeStOfTheBeST (10449 posts) - - Show Bio

@xzone said:

@thebestofthebest: You must be joking. I know you overrated HV, but come now, let’s be reasonable people here. Thor’s lightning from phase one was destroying massive building sized leviathan for goodness sake

X

It killed it, it didn't destroy its entire body. It had a building sized body but it was light as shit. And honestly, destroying 4 skyscrapers at the same time > destroying a Leviathan.

#18 Posted by Fictional_Fan (246 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor by far

#19 Posted by Cahddz (85 posts) - - Show Bio

@xzone said:

X

It killed it, it didn't destroy its entire body. It had a building sized body but it was light as shit. And honestly, destroying 4 skyscrapers at the same time > destroying a Leviathan.

You just made that up.

#20 Edited by ThEBeStOfTheBeST (10449 posts) - - Show Bio

@cahddz: It fell on a building at high level speed without even destroying the top floor. How's that made up?

#21 Edited by Cahddz (85 posts) - - Show Bio

@thebestofthebest said:

@cahddz: It fell on a building at high level speed without even destroying the top floor. How's that made up?

Two planes flew into two buildings at high speeds during 9/11 and they barely destroyed the top floor, but they still weigh a ton. How is it not made up?

#22 Edited by ThEBeStOfTheBeST (10449 posts) - - Show Bio

@cahddz said:
@thebestofthebest said:

Two planes flew into two buildings at high speeds during 9/11 and they barely destroyed the top floor, but they still weigh a ton. How is it not made up?

Really a piss poor comparison (those planes "with the passengers inside" weighted about 300 tonnes at best IIRC, the Leviathan should be around 500 tonnes), but I never claimed it weighted a ton. Still, how's that better than destroying 4 skyscrapers, nigh-instantly?

#23 Posted by Cahddz (85 posts) - - Show Bio

@cahddz said:
@thebestofthebest said:

Really a piss poor comparison (those planes "with the passengers inside" weighted about 300 tonnes IIRC, the Leviathan should be around 500 tonnes), but I never claimed it weighted a ton. Still, how's that better than destroying 4 skyscrapers, nigh-instantly?

It's a perfect analogy to debunk your argument. The Leviathans likely weigh in excess of 500 tonnes, probably closer to the weight of a few million -just because the film doesn't accurately portray real world physics doesn't diminish how much they weigh.

#24 Edited by Rajjar (1767 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor's charged lightning has far more destructive feats than HV. HV can't replicate the feats since it is an energy beam. Even if it could replicate said feats in destructive capabilities, it would only end up looking like a Bifrost beam, which is more latent energy than the all of the DCEU Kryptonians combined.

I think a better idea would be Thor's AOE vs DD's AOE, because that would be useful in battle comparisons. Otherwise, I will rest with the opinion that they will pass through each other, and that lightning is leagues ahead in damage output.

@thebestofthebest said:

@cahddz said:
@thebestofthebest said:

Really a piss poor comparison (those planes "with the passengers inside" weighted about 300 tonnes IIRC, the Leviathan should be around 500 tonnes), but I never claimed it weighted a ton. Still, how's that better than destroying 4 skyscrapers, nigh-instantly?

Didn't it cut the skyscrapers? That doesn't mean HV is sky-scraper level. The AOE energy output just isn't there. Nor the potency either, but I will say, it is hot enough to melt steel very quickly.

And you are referring to when Zod discovered he had HV right?

#25 Posted by ThEBeStOfTheBeST (10449 posts) - - Show Bio

@cahddz: I remember that quote from somewhere. Anyways.. lmao

>Million tonnes.

>Couldn't even destroy the top floor of a building.

Make sense. Note the sarcasm.

The Leviathans likely weigh in excess of 500 tonnes, probably closer to the weight of a few million -just because the film doesn't accurately portray real world physics doesn't diminish how much they weigh.

I suppose you have evidence for it weighting over a million ton?

#26 Edited by deltahuman (4969 posts) - - Show Bio

This isn't a great comparison in the first place since HV basically is a laser beam. It won't be able to do certain stuff that lightning can do and vice versa. Better comparison is Doomsday's AoE vs Thor's lightning in which Doomsday's AoE utterly and absolutely stomps.

Still, putting in my two cents on Lighting vs HV

Area damage - Lightning

(Thor can spread the energy on a larger area evident from the Jotunheim/Sokovia feat)

Heating effect/Melting stuff - Heat Vision

(Lightning has a higher temperature, specially if you take into account real life numbers but Temperature ≠ Heat. HV has better melting feats by virtue of instantly melting steel, bisecting skyscrapers and Kryptonian metal which can no sell everything from reentry to singularity gravity to 30mm bullets etc )

Range - Heat Vision

(Can be shot further with accuracy)

Speed - Heat Vision

(Doomsday's HV reached upper atmosphere in 2 seconds)

Precision and Control of Attack - Heat Vision

(Zod's HV bisected 4 skyscrapers instantly in the military simulation while Superman at the same time can control HV to precisely cauterize wounds)

Another notable feat of HV comes from Zack Snyder's comments. He said, HV causes burning sensation in Krytonains specially noticeable when Superman was visibly hurt after Doomsday overpowered his HV. This is specially impressive since not even a nuclear fireball can burn DCEU Kryptonian skin.

#27 Posted by ThEBeStOfTheBeST (10449 posts) - - Show Bio

@rajjar: I'm referring to the tie-in comics. Where Zod wiped out four skyscrapers almost instantly. Although it was a CGI simulation created by the military, but it was still based on the Kryptonians actual capabilities as stated on panels.

The AOE energy output just isn't there. Nor the potency either, but I will say, it is hot enough to melt steel very quickly.

Nope.

#28 Edited by Alavanka (2386 posts) - - Show Bio

While I don't contest Superman's ability to take down a leviathan with heat vision, the material of the Chitauri's armour is not comparable to the construction material that make up a skyscraper. Iron Man could easily cut the concrete, steel, glass, or wood that would make up any skyscraper with his red laser beams. Iron Man would run out of power before his lasers could penetrate the shell of a leviathan, much less kill one with it. Thor held off two at least 2 Leviathans trying to pass through the portal, and killed one of them with the resulting explosion. The outrider drop ships are larger than most skyscrapers, as it dwarfs every building in Wakanda. Thor's lightning was also able to completely destroy that too. Thor actually destroys multiple ships, as he was chasing them down offscreen. It's actually the reason he was late to meet Thanos. Superman is stronger overall than Thor and would beat him badly in a fight, but in terms of energy projection attacks Thor simply has the better onscreen feats.

Iron Man lasers cutting through the metal of the hammer drones and trees
Iron Man lasers cutting through the metal of the hammer drones and trees
Jarvis telling Tony that the Iron Man suit would run out of power before they penetrate the shell of the Leviathan
Jarvis telling Tony that the Iron Man suit would run out of power before they penetrate the shell of the Leviathan
Thor holding back 2 Leviathans. The one in the back is killed as the lightning explodes. The one in the back is hit by the shrapnel of the explosion.
Thor holding back 2 Leviathans. The one in the back is killed as the lightning explodes. The one in the back is hit by the shrapnel of the explosion.
Thor taking down a sky-scraper sized Outrider dropship that can cause massive shockwaves after impacting the earth from space.
Thor taking down a sky-scraper sized Outrider dropship that can cause massive shockwaves after impacting the earth from space.

#29 Posted by xZone (10339 posts) - - Show Bio

@xzone said:

X

No Caption Provided

You're misremembering things. It was completely destroyed

X

#30 Edited by ThEBeStOfTheBeST (10449 posts) - - Show Bio

@xzone said:
@thebestofthebest said:
@xzone said:

X

No Caption Provided

X

He pushed it back, it is shown in the very gif you posted lol. Regardless, still not better than wiping out four skyscrapers "in less time it takes to tell" and it's actually applicable to Superman considering it was based on "the actual capabilities of an average male Kryptonian", outright stated on panels. Isn't Superman an average Kryptonian male?

#31 Posted by DrPepperMan (6288 posts) - - Show Bio

WECOMEFRUMDALANDOFDEICEANDSNOW

#32 Posted by xZone (10339 posts) - - Show Bio

@xzone said:
@thebestofthebest said:
@xzone said:

X

No Caption Provided

X

He pushed it back, it is shown in the very gif you posted lol. Regardless, still not better than wiping our four skyscrapers "in less time it takes to tell" and it's actually applicable to Superman considering it was based on "the actual capabilities of an average male Kryptonian", outright stated on panels. Isn't Superman an average Kryptonian male?

No, actually there were two leviathan. The first one was destroyed, the second one retreated

X

#33 Edited by ThEBeStOfTheBeST (10449 posts) - - Show Bio

@xzone: And they weren't completely destroyed, as in turned into alien ash or disintegrated, as you originally insinuated.

#34 Posted by xZone (10339 posts) - - Show Bio

@xzone: And they weren't completely destroyed, as in turned into alien ash or disintegrated, as you originally insinuated.

It exploded... What more do you want from me ;/

X

#35 Edited by ThEBeStOfTheBeST (10449 posts) - - Show Bio

@xzone said:
@thebestofthebest said:

X

WHERE????!!!! lol

#36 Posted by xZone (10339 posts) - - Show Bio

@xzone said:
@thebestofthebest said:

X

WHERE????!!!!

Are we looking at different gifs or something... Don't you see the blue and red explosions?

No Caption Provided

The last couple of seconds of the gif

X

#37 Edited by ThEBeStOfTheBeST (10449 posts) - - Show Bio

@xzone said:
@thebestofthebest said:
@xzone said:
@thebestofthebest said:

X

WHERE????!!!!

Are we looking at different gifs or something... Don't you see the blue and red explosions?

No Caption Provided

X

My apologies, the gif wasn't fully loading. But destroying a portion of it, isn't exactly "completely destroying it". Besides, Thor was using the empire state building to amplify his lighting. Even then, it's less impressive than the aforementioned feat.

#38 Posted by Oreoghoul (1659 posts) - - Show Bio

>Million tonnes.

No Caption Provided

this sorta contradicts that no?

#39 Posted by xZone (10339 posts) - - Show Bio

@xzone said:
@thebestofthebest said:
@xzone said:
@thebestofthebest said:

X

WHERE????!!!!

No Caption Provided

X

My apologies, the gif wasn't fully loading. But destroying a portion of it, isn't exactly "completely destroying it". Besides, Thor was using the empire state building to amplify his lighting. Even the, it's less impressive than the aforementioned feat.

So we really were viewing different gifs! lmao

It sure looks like it is totally destroyed... But I mean this is from Phase one Thor.. Thor's lightning now>>> that

No Caption Provided

X

#40 Posted by ThEBeStOfTheBeST (10449 posts) - - Show Bio

@thebestofthebest said:

>Million tonnes.

No Caption Provided

It doesn't prove it weighted a million tonnes either.

#41 Edited by Oreoghoul (1659 posts) - - Show Bio

@thebestofthebest said:
@oreoghoul said:
@thebestofthebest said:

>Million tonnes.

No Caption Provided

never said it did. it's more likely around 1500 tons

#42 Posted by xZone (10339 posts) - - Show Bio

@oreoghoul said:
@thebestofthebest said:

>Million tonnes.

No Caption Provided

I don't think anyone is arguing they weigh millions of tons, cause that would be stupid, considering Hulk would now be a million tonner...And physics.. I think they are probably closer to multiple thousands of tons

X

#43 Edited by ThEBeStOfTheBeST (10449 posts) - - Show Bio

@xzone:

So we really were viewing different gifs! lmao

It wasn't fully loading but whatever.

It sure looks like it is totally destroyed...

Its head was destroyed. Hell, even if it was completely destroyed, it still wouldn't be more impressive than destroying four skyscrapers nigh-effortlessly.

But I mean this is from Phase one Thor.. Thor's lightning now>>> that

Sure, I can buy this. But the gif you posted wasn't PURE lighting.

I don't think anyone is arguing they weigh millions of tons, cause that would be stupid, considering Hulk would now be a million tonner...And physics.. I think they are probably closer to multiple thousands of tons

Post #23 begs to differ. I still don't see how it weights more than a thousand tonnes, but that's a discussion for another day.

#44 Posted by xZone (10339 posts) - - Show Bio

@thebestofthebest:

1) I know, I was just messing with you lol

2) Erm, it was the whole body, and once again, cutting a through a skyscraper=\=destroying a skyscraper...That’s like saying you destroyed a person when you cut them in half, it requires a totally different level of energy

3) It wasn’t pure lightning? Not exactly sure what you mean, tbh... Do you mean the one destroying he outrider ships? Debatable, but I don’t see how it’s implausible really

X

#45 Posted by xZone (10339 posts) - - Show Bio

@thebestofthebest: And like I said, that’s stupid to think it weighs millions of tons... Just by looking at the size it’s far above 1000 tons

X

#46 Posted by ThEBeStOfTheBeST (10449 posts) - - Show Bio

@xzone: I'm aware, lol.

2) Erm, it was the whole body, and once again, cutting a through a skyscraper=\=destroying a skyscraper...That’s like saying you destroyed a person when you cut them in half, it requires a totally different level of energy

The panels explicitly stated he destroyed them. Your point being?

3) It wasn’t pure lightning? Not exactly sure what you mean, tbh... Do you mean the one destroying he outrider ships? Debatable, but I don’t see how it’s implausible really

We're only comparing "lighting" attacks with Heat Vision. So anything that involves SB, is irrelevant to the topic.

#47 Posted by xZone (10339 posts) - - Show Bio

@thebestofthebest:

1) And one could say he destroyed them by cutting them in half and they collapsed, but it doesn’t mean his HV is skyscraper level, and you know that

2) Well Thor does in fact summon lightning from Stormbreaker

X

#48 Posted by ThEBeStOfTheBeST (10449 posts) - - Show Bio

@xzone:

1) And one could say he destroyed them by cutting them in half and they collapsed, but it doesn’t mean his HV is skyscraper level, and you know that

The panel clearly shows him destroying the whole building, not just cutting it in half. And he did it with super speed. That's a multi-building busting attack. But unlike Thor, he didn't struggle, he preformed the feat almost casually.

2) Well Thor does in fact summon lightning from Stormbreaker

That's a striking force feat, which is not the same thing. Are we going over this again, really?

#49 Posted by xZone (10339 posts) - - Show Bio
#50 Posted by Oreoghoul (1659 posts) - - Show Bio

@thebestofthebest:

He never destroys the whole building, what?

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

In all of these instances, he NEVER destroys an entire building in a "multi-building busting attack." He just cut the buildings and they collapsed. They even say "he brought down four skyscrapers" not he vaporized, or destroyed, or busted, etc.

No Caption Provided

THIS is a building-busting attack. Zod's heat vision doesn't come close to being able to destroy an entire skyscraper like how you're insinuating.