Thor (MCU) vs. Ragnarok (FFXIII)

drudged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By drudged

Although, we know that the third movie of the Thor series is entitled "Ragnarok", the Ragnarok I'm talking about is the beast incarnate that Oerba yung Fang and Oerba Dia Vanille turn into at the ending of Final Fantasy XIII.

Some feats of this Ragnarok:

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Ragnarok_(Final_Fantasy_XIII)

Supposedly a legendary beast who was destined to destroy Cocoon (then, a small planet hovering around Pulse to bring about the deaths of many), it was supposedly an unstoppable beast (Given the power levels of the characters available by then)

However, at the ending, instead of using the beast to destroy the planet, they (Fang and Vanille) use Ragnarok to form a crystal pillar to prevent Cocoon from crashing onto Pulse (Cocoon would've acted like a giant meteor). Ragnarok gathered energy from lava the beasts around it to form the said pillar, viewable from 1:13 - 3:16 on the link below.

https://youtu.be/bn14Bu8vl5g?t=1m13s

That being said, while it was described as an unstoppable beast at the FFXIII verse (at that time), perhaps someone in the Marvel verse could stop it in battle. Would Thor be sufficient?

Round 1: MCU Thor (At his strongest in Asgard)

Round 2: Comic book Thor

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

drudged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By drudged

Bumping. Any thoughts, Thor experts?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46927fc5463
deactivated-5a46927fc5463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor, I think.

drudged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46927fc5463
deactivated-5a46927fc5463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drudged:

Comic book Thor should definitely win, not sure about MCU Thor though.

drudged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bumping.

Also, Thor at his strongest in Asgard is the one I'm referring to w/ regards to the MCU version (In this video)

https://youtu.be/mSbyknf4vJ4?t=2m55s

I'm not certain if that beast = Ragnarok in power though but size-wise (and speed wise), they look pretty similar.

Avatar image for don_higashikata
Don_Higashikata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drudged said:

Bumping.

Also, Thor at his strongest in Asgard is the one I'm referring to w/ regards to the MCU version (In this video)

https://youtu.be/mSbyknf4vJ4?t=2m55s

I'm not certain if that beast = Ragnarok in power though but size-wise (and speed wise), they look pretty similar.

Holy crap, I forgot how awesome Thor was in his solo outing. Then Whedon got his hands on him...

F* that guy

Lord_Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor.

drudged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@don_higashikata: Yeah. Thor appears to have been severely downgraded, (but I will assume that's due to Earth taint or something...not)

BTW, Thor or Ragnarok?

Don_Higashikata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drudged said:

@don_higashikata: Yeah. Thor appears to have been severely downgraded, (but I will assume that's due to Earth taint or something...not)

BTW, Thor or Ragnarok?

Haven't played the game. Is it some kind of planet buster?

drudged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@don_higashikata: Well, supposedly...but it apparently did not reach that level (you can just judge by how the beast behaves based on the video I posted in the intro and a description of it in the wiki link I posted). Had it been a planet buster, I wouldn't really classify it as an overpowered one (since the planet it was assigned to "destroy" was rather small, like a moon or something) but what it did instead was it cracked through the shell of the planet and dove into lava to erect a pillar to hold the "planet" it was supposed to destroy up to prevent it from crashing. (That beast is actually a fusion of two of the characters in the game).

The planet it could've destroyed was the size of the US (and probably housed only 3 ~ 5 million citizens, so its a pretty small place). I'd say at par to what Thor did to Sokovia. (At least, in terms of destroying force)

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Cocoon_(Final_Fantasy_XIII) (URL to the planet)

Don_Higashikata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drudged said:

@don_higashikata: Well, supposedly...but it apparently did not reach that level (you can just judge by how the beast behaves based on the video I posted in the intro and a description of it in the wiki link I posted). Had it been a planet buster, I wouldn't really classify it as an overpowered one (since the planet it was assigned to "destroy" was rather small, like a moon or something) but what it did instead was it cracked through the shell of the planet and dove into lava to erect a pillar to hold the "planet" it was supposed to destroy up to prevent it from crashing. (That beast is actually a fusion of two of the characters in the game).

The planet it could've destroyed was the size of the US (and probably housed only 3 ~ 5 million citizens, so its a pretty small place). I'd say at par to what Thor did to Sokovia. (At least, in terms of destroying force)

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Cocoon_(Final_Fantasy_XIII) (URL to the planet)

If it can really destroy a city the size of the USA then it would obliterate MCU Thor, no questions asked. Honestly Thor would get owned in a fight by comic book Spider-Man, so fighting a monster this size is probably out of the question...

drudged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By drudged

@don_higashikata: I'd actually estimate it to be the same size of the beast Thor fought in the first movie. While it can destroy the planet indeed, I doubt it can destroy it instantaneously however.

EDIT: Actually, I goofed. Ragnarok was actually NOT supposed to destroy the planet directly, but was supposed to slay "Orphan", a large robotic like fa'lcie that acted as the planet's "life force" (Keeping it afloat). http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Orphan

With Orphan destroyed, that would've caused the planet (Cocoon) to fall from the sky and crash onto the other world below (Gran Pulse), resulting on the deaths of millions. In the end of the game, the heroes ended up slaying Orphan (although not by using Ragnarok), which caused Cocoon to start falling and Ragnarok was used instead to make a crystal pillar to keep the planet (Cocoon) afloat. So it turns out, while this Ragnarok beast was "unstoppable", it doesn't look anywhere close to being a planet buster.