Welcome one and all to this brand new tournament hosted by @higorm and myself! Comicvine is sometime difficult to get into and many give up on it before getting the full experience. It can be hard to get your name out there, but joining a tournament or CaV is a surefire way to spread the word of your arrival. But if you're anything like I was, going in your first time and getting stomped by a veteran debater is a likely and foreboding possibility that may deter you away from competing in these fun little things. So I, upon suggestion by the user @youngkaiser, have decided to create this, a tournament just for the newcomers of Comicvine!
Before we go on, I'd like to get briefly explain what exactly is going on for those who aren't 100% aware.
What is a Tournament?
A tournament on Comicvine is a fun little competition where a set number of Viners do battle in a fight of words and wit. They represent fictional characters and try to debate why their character would defeat the other in combat if they were to do combat. Most tourney's have a special little twist on them to set them apart, but I'll be keeping this one relatively simple.
First, we'll get 16 Viners to pick a squad of two fictional characters to debate with (Rules on who you are allowed to pick will be below.). After everyone has secured a spot, two contestants will be matched together at random and an individual thread will be made for them to debate in. One debater will post an intro on their characters, then the other will. Then they'll both go on to explain why their character wins and refute and counter the other's points for 2 or 3 posts before moving on to a conclusion and opening it up for the public to vote on who did better. The one who either gets the most votes in 1 week or gets 5 votes first will win and move on to the next round. This'll continue until one Viner is left and claims ultimate glory!
If all goes to plan, 1 round should take about 3 weeks at most, including voting. That leaves you with a solid 2 weeks to debate, plenty of time.
This being a tournament for a specific group of people, I'd like to lay down some basic rules for joining before we start. These can can stretched and bent a tad bit, but nothing too big.
- You must have under 500 posts. A little over is acceptable, but absolutely no more than 700-800 without proper reasoning.
- You must have competed in no more than 2-3 tournaments or CaVs.
- You must be sure this is something you want to do and that you won't flake out on as soon as there's a challenge. These things take real time and effort and there's no need to join if you aren't fully committed.
Lastly, it is highly HIGHLY recommended that you at least skim the original post in this thread. It is probably one of the most helpful and informative tools for new debaters on this site and is highly underrated. If you are lost on how to do something in a debate (Make in intro, post feats, format, counter.), it'll steer you in the right direction.
And now that all that's out of the way, we can get on to...
In order to join, you must of course choose fictional characters who you'll be repping. For this specific tourney you will pick two who have to stay "Street Level." Basically, that means they shouldn't be able to easily defeat someone like Spider-Man in a fight.
Your character can be from any form of media-comic, anime, movie, book, whatever-as long as you have access to a decent amount of feats for him or her. Don't use a character if you won't be able to prove what you claim with showings from the source material. If you are for some reason unable to find feats on your own, Respect Threads can be helpful. Just make sure not to rely too heavily on these, otherwise you may find yourself using out of context scans or spamming them when not necessary.
Limits For Characters
Like I said, I'm putting limits on the characters you can use so we can have fair matches for everyone. Make sure your character doesn't exceed these limits, or they can not be used.
Nerfing away powers is allowed, but you aren't allow to take someone above the limits and ignore specific feats to make him fit.
- Strength: 5 Tons maximum. To put it to scale, a car weighs 2 tons. If your character can lift much more than that, they're too much.
- Speed: Mach 1. You're character should not exceed the speed of sound in travel or combat speed. Nor should they be able to blitz people who are bullet timers.
- Durability: A tank shell should be able to put them down for good. This includes things like force fields and armor.
- Damage Output: Your character should not be able to destroy more than a tank with a single attack of any kind. This includes energy attacks, elemental control, or anything else.
- Regeneration: Healing broken bones and cuts is fine, but your character must go down when the head is destroyed.
- Telepathy/Telekinesis: Telepathy and powers like it (Illusions included) are limited to mind reading, no control. TK is allowed but you can't directly grapple the opponent and it's limited to 2 tons.
- Summons: Your character will not be allow to bring more than 2 fodder level summons into the battle. Thus only includes things that can be summoned mid battle, not friends of the character.
Lastly, here's a list of banned powers. These are deemed overpowered and make it unfair for those participating.
- Reality or Time Manipulation/ Time Travel
- Probability altering (good or bad luck)
- Mind control or possession of any kind
- Attacks that are completely unavoidable given the scenario limits
- Power draining/negating/copying
- Powers that affect your opponent internally (blood bending, etc.)
- Intangibility (may only use for up to 5 seconds and must have 55 second cool down)
No gear is allowed to amp your characters past the limit either.
Also, keep in mind teamwork and morals. A team of someone like Batman and Joker wouldn't work well together, while two characters that know each other would do significantly better.
Once you make sure all your characters fit those limits, you can post in the thread that you want to join and once everyone is ready we can begin.
Without further ado, let's do this!
@youngkaiser-Gorgon(No Stone Vision)/Daken(Muramasa)
@hittheassasin-Skulduggery Pleasant/The Black Cleaver
@black_panther18-Black Panther/Blade the Daywalker
@legendarysuns-616 Captain America/Nightcrawler
@tjtheduelist-Skipper The Penguin (Madagascar)/Kirito (Sword Art Online)
@foxerdes-New 52 Ra's al Ghul/New 52 Rose Wilson
@kibo-Damian Wayne/616 Falcon
@amethystgravity-Anthony Higgs/James Pierce
@kinghype-Harry Dresden (Pre-Changes)/Diego Brando (Scary Monsters)
If anything is unclear ask me or @higorm for help!