#551 ANTHP2000  Online

Glad to see you're catching up!

RedHeathen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Congrats @wollfmyth209 =) And no wonder we have SW EU in the line-up ;)

Nice job, everybody, as usual.

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Issue #81

No Caption Provided

Battle Threads of the Week

Provided by @professorrespect

DCEU Justice League vs 616 Thor

Kev’s post, through now sadly locked, was a good exercise in critical thinking- Can a team of rather unremarkable superheroes deal with a massive physical gap through teamwork, prep, and removing some of the opinions of the powerhouse?

Unfortunately, most people didn’t see it that way and thought of it as “bait” which sadly is an abused word these days and not used in a serious manner. This thread regardless created a decent debate with people on both sides having good arguments and strong opinions.

MCU BATTLE- Hela Vs Thanos

A classic matchup brought up, yes, but with Thanos’s added feats from Endgame and the battle taking place in a place that Hela is stronger in, does anything change?

This thread has been very busy with arguments about Hela’s piercing capabilities, and how well Thanos can deal with her ranged offence (something that he hasn’t really had to deal with outside of Iron Man or Thor) and how much the Asgard amp really goes in this battle.

120mm M256 Tank Cannon runs the MCU/DCEU Gauntlet

A very dangerous contextual weapon is brought into the world of fiction and the question is asked- how much damage CAN a tank round actually do to these types of characters, and how does the math work behind them?

It’s a very interesting concept, to say the least, and there’s some good detailed posts going into detail about how far it can go.

Full adapted Zod vs a Pissed off Wanda (Endgame)

Zod has speed, power, and a lot of versatility, while Wanda has the hax, energy projection, and the range. Both characters do share one factor- they can easily kill the other if they wanted.

The main consideration is which one is more effective at wiping out the other before the other person does, and this has been a pretty active debate in terms of how many people have a talking point here. With Wanda almost soloing Thanos by herself (something that Thor, Captain America, and Iron Man couldn’t do) she’s very quickly became a massive high tier powerhouse, while Zod has been consistent since the start.

Either way, it’s a good matchup and worth looking at.

CaVs of the Week

CaV: Thanos(CIB) vs Gorr(Kev)

Two pretty good debaters squared off in a debate between two individually powerful characters for a battle for the…..week, I guess

As someone who read this and voted, I thought this was a pretty solid debate and easy to understand, even for people who haven’t read anything about these characters, and while a bit salty in places (to be expected from two debaters who are familiar with each other) it’s not toxic and more or less comes across as healthy aggression than anything else.

CaV: Big Boss (The_Hajduk) vs Samurai Jack (IG-88B)

Hajduk and some other guy who’s not well-known [but I love the name!--Owie] square off, with CQC-Force in full effect against Samurai Jack, who shockingly not used in almost anything despite having great feats and a pretty good show in comparison.

Anyway, this debate’s been going strong, with Hajduk arguing for Big Boss’s stealth and sneaking advantage, making the case that Boss can just take Jack out without even fighting him at all, while the dude arguing for Jack is saying that he can just outright kill Boss in the first encounter between them.

Basically, this is endurance vs offence, with both debaters playing very different games to argue them winning. I'm enjoying the read, hopefully you will as well.

Respect Threads

Provided by @owie

Professor Respect has written up two respect threads, one on Major Disaster and one on Mister Miracle. Major Disaster, I had never heard of before, not being as much of a DC person. However, having now read his RT, he seems like a totally hilarious and yet dangerous villain that I ope to see more of in the future.

Mister Miracle, on the other hand, I have been a longtime fan of. He is ALSO hilarious and yet dangerous. At his most powerful he can really take on teams of significant power. Which is all the more entertaining given his silly origins with the Fantastic Four.

I'd like to emphasize, we don’t want to just post RT’s or battles or anything else by our own folks—please PM any of us TDD contributors about battles, respect threads, or other battle-related topics that you’d like to see us cover.

Character Of The Week: Apocalypse

Provided by @wollfmyth209

No Caption Provided

Aliases: Apocalypse, The Eternal One, The Eternal Pharaoh, Kali-Ma, Huitzilopochtli, Set.

Race: Mutant

Sex/Gender: Male

First Appearance: X-Factor #5

Memorable quotes:

"Mutant must fight mutant, if the weak are to be winnowed from the strong. And when only the strong are left, Apocalypse will make his move. Pray, all of you, that you are among the strong."

-- X-Factor #6

"Peace does nothing to test -- to INCREASE -- mutants' strength. To force them to evolve into the strong."

-- X-Factor #23

"I'll remake this world in my image -- just as I'll remake you! As you sought to make me bow to you -- you shall be my slave -- for all the days of your life!"

-- Rise of Apocalypse #4

Five millennia ago, En Sabah Nur was born amongst the tribe of Baal in Egypt. Being the foremost strongest, most intelligent, and best fighter of the entire tribe, Nur garnered hatred, envy and fear from every member of his tribe, and all other tribes. The ruling Pharaoh at the time: Rama-Tut -- who was in truth Kang the Conqueror, time-travelling to try and acquire the power of Nur -- hunted down all the tribes like dogs, which caused great rage to boil within the first mutant. He envisioned a world that he would rule, one where all the weak shall be winnowed out and destroyed. When En Sabah Nur refused to join the Rama-Tut's ranks, he was left for dead, until his latent mutant powers kicked in. Decimating the Pharaoh's army, and defeating Ozymandias, En Sabah Nur emerged victorious that day, and was set on the path to become Apocalypse.

With his new-found power to control every molecule in his body, and newly donned Celestial armour, Apocalypse took many aliases throughout history with each new incarnation. Each time, Apocalypse would be followed in-toe by the latest icarnation of his Four Horsemen, always with the credo "survival of the fittest". Through the centuries, Apocalypse has fought many notable historic figures such as Draculaand Loki; and has gone head-to-head with the Mighty Thor, twice, though he was defeated both times.

In the 20th century, with the new emergence of the Homo-Superior mutant race, Apocalypse has monitored and studied many mutants globally, taking a particular fascination with the X-Men. His attempts to create a world where the Homo-Superior rule over, hunt and terrorize regular humans is continuously thwarted by the X-Men, however.

Apocalypse's legend of "The Twelve", where he sought to become more powerful than even the Celestials by absorbing the power of 12 crucial and powerful mutants, was also stopped in its tracks and Apocalypse was forced into hiding.

After the events of M-Day, where 90% of the mutant population lost their powers, Apocalpyse was ressurected. For "as long as a drop of his blood remains, Apocalypse lives". Upon realizing that only ten percent of the mutant population still existed, Apocalypse devised a meta-plague that would cause the death of 90% of the human population, so as to put the Homo-Superior and Homo-Sapiens on equal footing once again. At the last instant, Apocalypse was betrayed by Ozymandias and defeat by the X-Men and Avengers. Accepting his death, Apocalypse drifted into space before being revived by the Celestials to pay his debt: because for greater power, comes the price of even greater suffering.

In the most recent events of Powers of X, Apocalypse is revived to once again lead mutantkind to his definition of "savlation", with his ever-lasting credo "survival of the fittest". He confronts Nimrod, in a battle to the determine the fate of mutantkind.

Extra Credits

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel honored to have my battle thread mentioned

ANTHP2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#556 ANTHP2000  Online

Kev feels honored that his bait thread was mentioned.

ANTHP2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#558 ANTHP2000  Online
Avatar image for cosmicallyaware1
cosmicallyaware1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

Owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cosmicallyaware1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@owie: Fantastic. Quite eager to work on a piece for the DD!!

fifaonlinehp2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure if I'm able to commit to the time restrictions and such of a tourney just as of yet.........mainly going to focus on doing some spectacular CaV's with some of the Vine's elite and up and coming. But I will do so if I'm able, honored by the invite good sir.

MrNico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#564  Edited By MrNico

I was expecting a Bloodshot respect thread from K4tzm or IlikeSwords, not TTBA but the man knows how to make a damn good respect thread for sure. Another brilliant issue from all involved! still don't really see Thanos vs Mangog as a good battle. https://libertic.xyz/

Owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#565  Edited By Owie

Issue #82

No Caption Provided

Team Maxima vs Team Jean Grey

Marvel’s best psychics go against DC’s best. As a fellow researcher on both Marvel and DC telepaths in the past (I actually think DC’s telepaths are massively underrated compared to the more popular ones usually found in Marvel) I enjoy seeing them being compared to each other, and there’s a lot of feats being passed around, which is always nice to see.

Fit Thor and Wakanda heroes vs DCEU Justice League

The Infinity War cast go against the World’s Finest in a rather interesting match. While the Justice League have the heavyweights, the Marvel team have more members AND the assistance of some helpful glass cannons like the Scarlet Witch, so it’s quite even on both sides and has made for a pretty engaging fight.

New 52 Aquaman vs Sinister Six

A high tier guy fights against a team of street/mid tier guys with gimmicks. While Aquaman has prep, he doesn’t seem to have much to exactly exploit, while the other side have good teamwork, and a range of methods to annoy or hurt Arthur and bypass his superior striking and strength. It’s a fun one for sure, and there’s a lot to argue about.

Kol Mikaelson (The Vampire Diaries) vs Wonder Woman (WoDC)

Guy with tons of speed goes against chick with gear/experience advantage. Diaries isn’t exactly the most popular medium on CV (it’s about as popular as Transformers sadly, lol) but it has strong and rather effective characters, which seems to be enough to go against a heavyhitter like Diana, who even right now is getting more and more impressive feats and will likely continue to get them. One to watch in future, considering the thread will likely pick up again after Wonder Woman 84 (where’s the other 82 movies?) and the speed arguments might need to start up again.

CAVs and Tourneys of the Week

Provided by @owie

Street Level Live Action Tournament 2019 - Round 1 - Ashrym vs. Subline

This tourney between Ashrym and Subline features the DCEU Deadshot against both the CW Green Arrow and MCU Bullseye. It's a battle of accuracy, obviously, but there's also strategy and perception at play. Since this is a tourney, the posts are short and--laudably--efficient. They get across the necessary info in a short amount of space. It's great to see these live action marksmen go up against each other, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the rest of the debate shapes up.

2v2 CaV: Darthjhawk & Maestromage vs Gilgamesh & TheVivas

This CAV features Ichigo Kurosaki (darthjhawk) & Alibaba Saluja (Maestromage) vs Yusuke Urameshi (GilgameshThePimpToEndAllPimps) & Sasuke Uchiha (TheVivas). It's well-written, civil, and thoughtful, with the debaters really thinking through the details of the characters and how they would interact. I always like when I read a debate where I can really learn something and not just get a list of feats; this is one of those.

Street Level Live Action Tournament 2019 - Round 1 - ANTHP2000 vs. Death4Bunnies (OPEN FOR VOTES)

This tourney has Anthp2000 repping MCU Black Widow and Death4Bunnies arguing for Dick Grayson from Titans. I haven't seen Titans yet so it was interesting to get some of the flavor of the show. This tourney debate is solid, but honestly what made me want to recommend it is how fast it is going--it was completed in 2 days! Even in the shorter tournament format that's pretty amazing. In a scene where some debaters write book-length posts (OK, that's me) and others take weeks or months to get something up (OK, me again), this debate is impressive for its alacrity and focus. Go reward them with some votes (and for everyone else here too, once they're finished).

CaV: Tanjirou (Sy8000) vs Rai X (HigherPower) - Voting Open!

This one is also open for votes. You only have to read some of the enthusiastic comments at the end to get a sense of how good this CAV is. And they're not exaggerating: Both debaters are very thoughtful and subtle in their presentation of evidence and their counters. They're taking the approach that this is about getting to the truth and not just about winning. A stellar effort at being civil, honest, and discerning in presenting your case.

Respect Threads of the Week

Provided by @owie

Absorbing Man Respect Thread

Created by @professorrespect, this is a huge, detailed respect thread on Carl Creel, the Absorbing Man. As he said, there weren't any good, organized, thorough threads on this powerful and complex character. It's already gotten a lot of comments. Go check it out and learn about the Absorbing Man, his powers, and the many powerful opponents he is capable of taking on.

Black Widow Respect Thread

Created by me. Since the movie is coming out, I figured it would be worth getting some accurate information on the character out there. Also, Black Widow is a character that often gets a bit lowballed, so this can help put the record straight on where she stands within the streetlevel tier. Learn about the fighting techniques she uses, her shooting accuracy, her battles, and her long list of gear.

If there are users who would like us to write up your respect threads, send one of us a PM.

Archival Battle of the Week (AKA Random Old but Interesting Battle)

Provided by @owie

Boomerang beats the Hulk! In Incredible Hulk #294.

Who knew that Fred Myers, aka Boomerang, could roll with heavyweights like the Hulk? Boomerang is mostly used for comic relief these days, especially since the entertaining Superior Foes of Spider-man, and now in the pages of the current Amazing Spider-man volume. But back in the day, Fred was packing an impressive arsenal, as you'll see.

Boomerang and Hulk first mixed it up in Boomerang's first appearances, in Tales to Astonish 81-88. Fred had a very different costume then, but ultimately things didn't work out for him.

Here in Incredible Hulk, a gangster is dying of cancer. Bruce won't cure him because the process isn't ready yet, so the gangster pays Fred to kidnap Bruce's current lab assistant/girlfriend, Kate, as an incentive. At this time, Bruce's mind is in control of the Hulk, so he's not as powerful as some other incarnations. Even Boomerang says Hulk is "a shadow of his former savage self," although he may be exaggerating a bit for the purposes of trash talk.

No Caption Provided

Bruce was taking a shower when the kidnapping started, so he races out and puts on his pair of tighty-purple-ies on the run.

No Caption Provided

Boomerang first uses a "Screamerang" on Hulk, and it definitely causes him pain, but Bruce manages to break it into pieces.

No Caption Provided

Fred next uses some "Reflexerangs" to strike Hulk's nerve clusters, dropping him to the floor, an attack rarely used against the green behemoth.

No Caption Provided

Once he's on the ground, Fred keeps him there with a "Gravity-rang," which increases the pull of gravity--an impressive heavyweight piece of tech!

No Caption Provided

However, Hulk is still the strongest one there is, and he starts to slowly push himself up.

No Caption Provided

Fred then uses a "Shatterang" to knock a huge pile of machinery down on Hulk, burying him underneath. Hulk eventually digs his way out, but Boomerang and Kate are long gone. It's a clear win for the villain.

No Caption Provided

It will not surprise you to learn that Hulk confronts Boomerang again next issue and quickly defeats him. But this battle in issue 294 is an impressive foray for the C-lister bad guy. He shows off impressive weaponry and has a nice example of accuracy as well, when he strikes multiple nerve clusters at once.

I hope you enjoyed this battle from the archives. You can see the whole battle here.

Character of The Week Showcase: Taskmaster!

We happily welcome back @cosmicallyaware1 with today's COTW!

No Caption Provided

Quick Biography // History and Evolution

Enter into Tony Masters, the man who would become the Taskmaster. At an early age, he discovered his very unique abilities in a random occurrence. Tony was watching a western TV show. To great surprise, he found he could replicate all the rope tricks he had observed all the people on the show do!!!. Not long after that incident he began to slowly understand his ability through much trail and error. Once he watched an athlete on a show execute some advanced techniques in swimming.; he duplicated the dive, but almost drowned because he didn’t know how to swim at all!. After this with great concern, his mother called in mental health professionals / Experts & psychiatrists who studied his ability, terming it “photographic reflexes.” He exploited his amazing talent several times during his youth for clearly professional gain, most notably when he became a star quarterback of his high school football team after watching one pro football game. After graduating high school Tony briefly thought about being a crimefighter and costumed hero, but quickly settled on that a life of crime and living outside the laws would be much more lucrative / financially rewarding. That's the original origin story of Taskmaster.

No Caption Provided

Since his initial debut however, Tony has seen some evolution and revamping of his origin a bit. Anthony Masters was one of the best agents S.H.I.E.L.D had to offer, and a superstar amongst field agents. After being dispatched on a official mission to obliterate a neo-nazi organization that was working with Baron Von Strucker (HYDRA), there were complications for the SHIELD agent. The agents were working on developing variations of the Super Soldier Serum (which was used to create Captain America) by incorporating Adolph Hitler's blood. By the time Tony arrived on this mission, he was already wounded and delusional. The scientist and creator told Tony about a perfected serum he developed which would not only boost people to peak levels of what was humanly possible, including assimilating knowledge instantly. However the enemy compound and building was unstable, and began to collapse from battle at this point. This, along with the factor of the scientists demise would mean all data on the serum and experiments would be destroyed. All work lost and no way to hopefully utilize the quasi-serum or replicate it.

In the heat of the moment, Tony injected himself with the highly experimental Serum. In the hopes of being able to memorize notes on the Serum from the scientist, and escape from the compound before it collapsed completely Tony escaped and developed some negative side effects from the untested and unpure Serum. As a side-effect of the Serum, Tony now had quite a degree of memory loss. This led him to be confused and illogical along with delusions. After some time, he came to create an alter-ego called "Taskmaster" which worked as a mercenary for criminal organizations. Even though ironically enough..., he subconsciously still worked for S.H.I.E.L.D (crazy right?)

No Caption Provided

Being aware of much news of superhuman activity, he executed several successful crimes, but underestimated the dangers involved in such work. He in turn utilized his profits to start up academies/schools where he trained aspiring super-villains, including the Red Skull employee Crossbones, to become dangerous adversaries. He designed a costume and established the name alter-ego of Taskmaster. He remained undetected until the activities of one head of an academy caused the Avengers to become aware of these facilities. Taskmaster battled Captain America and Iron Man for the first time. Knowing he would not prove victorious, he fled fearing capture.

Taskmaster was soon easily put on the radar of the international mega-terrorist organization known as HYDRA. He was immediately recruited for his talent, and hired to train their new recruit, Spider Woman (1st incarnation, Jessica Drew). This wouldn't be his first time training deadly villains, but marked a milestone in his inclusion into the dark ranks of the underworld of the Marvel Universe. Taskmaster had several run-ins with superheroes, especially Spider-Man and Scott Lang as Ant-Man during this time, as was fastly becoming noticed by the heroes of the Marvel Universe. . Each time he was defeated, he managed to escape as villians do and started anew.

In the 1990's, Taskmaster even laughingly teamed up with the likes of the Wizard (FF Villian), Deadpool, and the Constrictor to form a brand new roster of the (infamous) "Frightful Four", even though this association didn't last very long at all (or look good. Their uniforms were atrocious!).

No Caption Provided

Tony proceeded to have quit the illustrious career of a Mercenary and training rouges throughout the Marvel Universe. Taskmaster is exceptionally good at training others. Among those he has trained is: Agent-X, Crossbones, Diamondback, Spider-Woman, Spymaster and U.S.Agent (amongst many, many others. Too many to name, and most probably wouldn't be familiar anyway. A lot of "B" list criminals and the such). Taskmaster specially trained the Scarlet Spiders at Camp Hammond in the Initiative for example by having his mind connected to theirs and relaying recordings of Spider Man's moves collected by S.H.E.I.L.D.

*Point of Notice.....

After an interesting altercation with (at the time) Avengers Academy trainee Finesse, who has photographic reflexes just like Taskmaster's, he admits that, while he can't be certain about it, he is more than likely Finesse's father (as she already strongly suspects that). He tells her in confidence that the way his abilities work, each time he picks up a new technique, it pushes non-combat-oriented data out of his brain permanently; so he can't remember jack squat about his own life and past. This is both an explanation for how he could forget having a daughter and a warning for her to not get too close.

No Caption Provided

And that should just about wrap it up for educating on Tony Masters. Any questions? Just ask!!!

Current Operations // more modern activities

Since then he has been sporadic in the Marvel Universe. He's appeared briefly in some events ( S.I.E.G.E, Old Man Logan story continuity, etc) and featured in animated proprieties.

More recently was tied up in a situation with a synthetic twisted version of Nick Fury from SHEILD. The individual, named Max Fury (who is a variation of the SHIELD LMD's from the 70's and 80's) had Taskmaster involved with a situation involving an object of power from the Marvel Universe (similar to the fabled Serpent Crown, this one called "Crown of Wolves" which is related), and the Secret Avengers.

After that he has been connected with A.I.M, as the Minister of Defense (cool huh?), and back under the employment of HYDRA. Currently he is still employed by HYDRA, and currently the personal bodyguard of Madame Hydra. Movin up in the world indeed.

Powers and Abilities // What makes Taskmaster unique??

Taskmaster has what he calls "photographic reflexes". After seeing someone perform an action once, he can perfectly copy the action. He has used this ability to copy the fighting styles and skills of many heroes and villains, mixing them up and turning them into his own style.

No Caption Provided

The people he has copied styles/skills are quite varied throughout the Marvel Universe and some more notable ones include: Black Knight, Black Widow, Bullseye, Captain America, Daredevil, Deadpool, Elektra, Hawkeye, Iron Fist, Punisher, Shang Chi, Silver Samurai, Spider-Man, Swordsman, and Wolverine.

He need only observe an individual for a very short amount of time to replicate a fighting style or technique. One time he observed a Martial Artist utilize a technique, and after replicating it the individual stated it took him 10 years to learn and perfect. To which Taskmaster replied: "It took me 10 minutes".

It's also notable to mention that Taskmaster can replicate fighting styles not born of this Earth. He once copied and performed a Sh'iar Martial Art fighting style within minutes of observing it.

He can only mimic actions to the extent that his body will allow. For example, he can copy the way Spider-Man fights, but can't replicate Peter's superhuman agility and strength capacity. He can copy the way Daredevil moves to avoid danger, but he doesn't have his "radar sense". He can copy the fighting style of Deadpool but can't copy his unpredictability and healing factor (he has quite the relationship with Deadpool by the way). He has stated that even though he has the fighting style of a person, he still doesn't utilize them necessarily the way that person does (such as Moon Knight. Tony has commented that he thinks Moon Knight's way of fighting is asinine, as MK would take a strike, opposed to avoid it altogether. ). Copying skills doesn't give him an understanding of what is needed to do them either. For instance, he could copy an Artist painting a specific painting (think Bob Ross for example), but be unable to do another different one . In a flashback once he demonstrated something like this: when he was a young child, he almost drowned after perfectly duplicating a swimmer's dive he watched, forgetting that he couldn't swim at all!

To add to his abilities when he can't find someone to watch, Taskmaster uses media materials. He has studied films and footage to research super-humans, professional athletes, movie actors and martial artists, military personnel, Olympic performances, etc. By doing this, he has acquired a vast scope of fighting abilities as well as acrobatic skills. Including but not limited to: aerial acrobatics, gymnastics, boxing, martial arts (all the ones presently used and some historical ones), wrestling, swordsmanship, marksmanship, archery, and a plethora of others. By watching a video in fast forward, Taskmaster picked up the ability to move in "double time," giving him above peak human speed for short periods of time. This however was not something that he has performed many times due to the stress it caused on his body, and almost fatal.

No Caption Provided

That's impressive to say the least. He is effectively the best H2H fighter in existence.

He has also shown the ability to mimic a person's speech patterns and sound of voice for the purpose of espionage and impersonation (2002 volume). This has shown to be useful in the Mercenary spy "game" that is often closely tied to connections with the military/government and S.H.E.I.L.D.

Weapons and Paraphernalia // "Standard Gear"

Taskmaster carries a wide variety of weaponry he uses to mimic the fighting styles he managed to copy. It's relevant to mention, as the character always used his gear in conjunction with his abilities for enhanced performance. Within his consistent and most famous gear, he showcased: A Captain America style shield (probably just made of Vibranium), A sword similar in appearance (but clearly not in origin or composition) as the Black Knight, Daredevil's Billy Club, and Hawkeye's style bow and Trick Arrows.

No Caption Provided

All this gear along with less known objects were carried manually by Taskmaster until his first solo series in 2002 introducing a new gear, commonly known as UDON suit. He changed his outfit and devices, but most importantly, he stole a S.H.I.E.L.D device which allowed him to create his weaponry by solidifying energy (which has come in quite handy). This change proved to be very practical since he could move faster, avoid possible disarmament and utilize more weaponry in an easier way. Within the added weapons and gadgets: Wolverine's Claws, an energy version of Cap's shield, and Spider-Man's web-shooter's. Along with this, in his UDON incarnation it was the first time Taskmaster was shown showcasing Firearms (twin pistols, "mimicking" the Punisher). It was also the first time he utilized "image inducer" technology to be able to change his appearance quickly for espionage and impersonating purposes.

Some common examples of Taskmaster using Weaponry:

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5

1) Utilizing Cap's vaunted Shield throwing skills 2) mimicking Punisher's shooting 3) Shield defense against multiple enemies 4) Hawkeye arrows = explosive 5) the shield once again, precision aim against Spider Man's webbing

Why you should be interested in this character...

Tony Masters is a very underrated and sadly sporadically used characters. Why is that? Great question that nobody rightfully has the answer to.

• He has the combined fighting ability of Marvel's premier H2H fighters all rolled into one along with the agility and acrobatic skill to capitalize on the powersets.
  • Rich history in classic Marvel Universe.....silver age all way up until current modern age.
  • Originally penciled by one of Comic's creative legends.
  • About to be featured in one of the newest phases of Marvel Cinematic Universe movies (Black Widow).
  • His outfit is super awesome.

Needless to say, the man known as Taskmaster is worth checking out. Not as many appearances as other characters, and at times not utilized properly. However, I feel his inclusion into the Marvel Cinematic Universe may change that immensely.

Enjoy!

Recommended Reading...

*Avengers: vol.1 #195 first app, # 196 full #223 (showing with Hawkeye. Explains powers first time fully with examples)

Also noteworthy appearances in: Dark Reign, The Initiative, and SEIGE

*Captain America: vol.1 #334 training Captain America replacement John Walker

*Daredevil: vol.1 #292 - 293

* Taskmaster: mini series:

1.) 2002 (4 issues. great writing. artwork very "anime/manga" feel)

2.) 2010 series (4 issues. shield agent history retcon.)

No Caption Provided

Extra Credits

ANTHP2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#566 ANTHP2000  Online

Fantastic issue, and thanks for the shout out. Keep it going!

UberCoffeeTime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh yay, my bait thread made it

Owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cosmicallyaware1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hope the CoTW piece recruits more Taskmaster fans!!!!

BOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kolkent said:

I did most of the work

UberCoffeeTime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boc said:
@kolkent said:

I did most of the work

Oat did actually

andromeda101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another fantastic work, guys.

BOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Issue #83

No Caption Provided

Hulk & Captain Marvel VS Iron man & Thor

While not a particularly close fight before, the newly established power levels of Captain Marvel (beating up Thor pretty badly and killing him, etc) have meant that she’s became a contender to the heavyhitters of Marvel. In this thread, there’s an attempt to try and establish her new status by placing the character with Hulk (already known as being perhaps the quintessential brick of Marvel) and having them square off against two high tier characters. Definitely quite interesting to read for the arguments for both teams, and there’s no clear consensus on which team wins.

General Grievous vs Venom

A very unique matchup placing two feared monsters of their stories against each other: Grievous, an alien cyborg responsible for killing dozens of Jedi with his furious style, and Venom, a fearsome creature that physically dominates his foes with his size and strength. In this fight, the question is about who is able to overcome the other with their raw power. Grievous has weak points in his suit but has a weapon that could slice through Venom like butter.

Personally, it’s a very strongly made thread with passionate arguments on both sides. Give it a read and see what you think.

Martian Manhunter vs World War Hulk

Manhunter has always been known as being an individual with not only remarkable potential, but also a tendency to hold back against many of his foes due to his strong pacifism and morals. In this battle, such factors are removed, as J’onn goes all out against a nearly unstoppable foe in a battle between a strong brick vs a character with boundless versality. Regardless of the matchup, the structure of it makes it particularly unique (J’onn lacks his fire weakness, something which has stumped him in the past rather easily) and is facing someone who has dealt with telepathy, phasing, telekinesis, and many other offensive attacks.

It’s more of a matter if J’onn can actually do better than the teams who faced Hulk before, rather than simply if he can deal with those attacks in the first place. Worthy of being here based on the premise alone, but the arguments help as well.

Thanos vs thor,beta ray bill,hulk and hercules

Thanos is regarded as perhaps the most well rounded teambuster in all of fiction: almost perfect physical stats in strength and durability, strong energy manipulation, and a high intelligence to boot. While he has quite easily slapped individual members of this team, he hasn’t ever faced all of them at once, and this thread seems to try and establish if he could be capable of getting through all of these heavyweights without being overcome in the process. Not perhaps the most unique of threads, but the matchup is interesting enough to garner a great amount of attention from users.

CaVs and Tourneys

Provided by @owie

CAV: Luo Zheng (mass) vs Dark Samus (AmethystGravity)

This CAV, between Dark Samus from Metroid and Luo Zheng from Apotheosis, immediately comes across as extremely thoughtfully written and incredibly civil and respectful from both @mass and @amethystgravity. It’s well-written and insightful. Really it couldn’t be more pleasurable to read. They both do an excellent job explaining their characters and their worlds to readers who don’t know anything about them. Extra points to Mass for including a glossary!

Street Level Live Action Tournament 2019 - Round 2 - KoLKent vs. ComicGirl21

They’ve only written one post each so far, but I’m intrigued by this tourney entry between Eggy from Kingsman and Deckard Shaw from Fast and Furious, vs DCEU Batman and MCU Hawkeye. @comicgirl21 puts in her usual detailed, intense arguments for the latter team, and @kolkent fights right back with a cutting array of counters. It gets a little spicy right off the bat, but we’ll see what happens. The combatants look pretty evenly matched from where I sit and I’m interested to see how these peak humans battle it out.

Beyond Omnipotence Tourney: MCU Grant Ward (ANTHP2000) vs. Chuck Norris (Ashrym)

Yes, this whole tourney is a joke, but I found myself pretty entertained as I read it. Nice work by both @anthp2000 and @ashrym as they try to prove why their character is the most godlike in the most absurd ways possible. I highly enjoyed the scaling and rhetoric. C’mon, I had to include this one.

2020 All-Star CaV | Drake Sinclair (TheTrueBarryAllen) vs Waxillium Ladrian (Lunacyde) - Open for Votes!

There’s an all-star tourney going on right now, and perhaps not shockingly, two of the match-ups made the best list here today. @thetruebarryallen and @lunacyde do an amazing job in a tourney format, where you have to be a little faster on your feet than in a CAV. They manage to be incredibly thoughtful, civil, and even concise. It’s evidence of how good they are that they manage to take two very rare characters/worlds and explain them very clearly and succinctly in this debate. Open for votes, readers!

2020 All-Star CaV | Beerus (EmperorThanos) vs King Thor and Gorr the God Butcher (HigherPower)

Another All-Star entry, this is what @higherpower says may be his last debate. I’ll admit that while @emperorthanos- did his usual stellar job so far, I was particularly taken by HigherPower’s very poetic, speculative, and detailed take on Gorr in particular. His writing really whisked me away to the end times of the Necroverse! Is it short? Oh no. No it is not. But it’s excellent. Check out his prologue to the whole thing for a very nice piece of writing. However, debates aren’t won by the best poesy, and ET may win by eschewing “fluff” and going for the jugular! Definitely keep an eye on this one.

Recent Respect Threads!

Provided by @owie

@andromeda101 has been on a tear making Marvel cosmic supernatural respect threads. Check out his RTs for Mephisto, Nightmare, and especially his very in-depth post for Dormammu!

You know that @professorrespect is always making one respect thread after another. Digging through the many he made in just the past couple weeks, I was particularly drawn to this one of Gizmo, from DC's Fatal Five. He had me at "Gizmo, the Evil MacGyver."

Of course, @thetruebarryallen, who has just joined us at TDD, is no slouch in the respect thread department either, with recent threads for Hank Henshaw, the Cyborg Superman; Drake Sinclair from The Six (who we also saw in a tourney, above); Hydro-Man; and yes, The Spot. Respect The Spot!

Finally, I don't know who this @owie guy is, but I was thoroughly amazed by his stupendous Devil-slayer RT, fleshing out yet another obscure but awesome character for this week's round-up of respect threads.

Comic News

Provided by @emperorthanos-

Event Leviathan: DC's Checkmate Returns with Green Arrow, Question & More

Michael Bendis and artist Alex Maleev are teaming up to working a 6 part miniseries Event Leviathan: Checkmate where they will be forming new Checkmate. This new team is set to be compromised of a Green Arrow, Question, Lois Lane and Talia Al Ghul who will be working as a team against Leviathan. The first issue will come out in April

Marvel Empyre Teaser Promises the Kree-Skrull War Was Just the Beginning

Marvel's latest major crossover event Empyre will see return of the Kree-Skrull War as its focus. The even is set to kick off in April this year and it sees a classic avengers line up of Thor, Captain America, Iron Man, Hulk, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver and Vision all teaming up once more. The even is also teased to be connected the Celestial Madonna Saga and the Young Avenger Hulkling.

X-Men: Marvel Editorial Teases Major 2020 Mutant Developments, Event

X-men editors have teased a big crossover for the X-men that is in the works as well as new class of X-men. Most the Mutant Race including the X-men and their rogues like Magneto, Sebastion, Mr Sinister and more are now all relocated, totally changing the status quo. We set to see several new X-men titles in the coming year such as Hellions, X Corp and new titles for Wolverine and Cable.

Battle from the Archives

Provided by @owie

Actually, battles this week, as we present the fearsome Commodore (Donny) Planet! He only had a couple appearances, but did a surprisingly good job taking on Moon Knight, Iron Fist, and Luke Cage in 1982.

No Caption Provided

Iron Fist runs into him first, in Power Man and Iron Fist 87, and has trouble with the not-so-gentle giant. Planet explains that he can change the density of his body much like Danny can do with his fist! He says he learned this somewhere akin to K'un-Lun, so it's a skill, not a power (in contrast to what he uses later against Moon Knight).

No Caption Provided

He almost squishes Iron Fist to death against a wall, surely one of the Immortal Weapon's more ignominious near-death experiences.

No Caption Provided

Luckily he gets out and takes down the Commodore with a double kick.

No Caption Provided

As he walks off, Danny thinks to himself that Commodore Planet is "almost as tough as anyone I've ever encountered." Look out Sabretooth and Shang-Chi, there's a new tough guy in town and his name is easily confused with Captain Planet!

No Caption Provided

Later that issue, Luke Cage runs into Donny again. The Commodore smashes Luke back into a wall, breaking the bricks apart. However, Luke doesn't take kindly to Planet's racist "barbarian" remarks, and flattens him with one punch.

No Caption Provided

Incidentally, Moon Knight is in this issue of Power Man and Iron Fist, but never runs into Planet. Which is weird, because in a seemingly totally unrelated incident, Moon Knight runs into Planet in Marc's own comic, Moon Knight 26, which came out just one month later.

There, Marc confronts Planet, who is sort of like a knock-off Kingpin in that he uses his bulk to keep from getting pushed around, and also to create so soft a target that blows just get dampened in his rotundity, as we have already seen him do so expertly against Danny.

No Caption Provided

He also claims to be superstrong and durable due to the good ol' comic background story of "an experiment," so he has powers in addition to his special "semi-Iron-Fist-y-belly" skillz.

No Caption Provided

He's stronger than Moon Knight, but Spector dodges and hits him solidly in the back--to no avail, as Commodore Planet is made of sterner stuff than that.

No Caption Provided

Moon Knight realizes what a dangerous foe the Commodore is, and thinks that he could get killed in the next shot, underlining Planet's dangerous striking power. Luckily Marc realizes that he can use his weight and lack of balance against him and knocks him overboard FTW. Alas, the poor Commodore has never been seen again.

No Caption Provided

This ends the saga of Commodore Planet, another (set of) battle(s) from the archives.

Extra Credits

ANTHP2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#576 ANTHP2000  Online

Nice!

andromeda101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yay! Great! Thanks for featuring me.

Avatar image for thetruebarryallen
TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

So funny to see the archive battle chosen! I just read that issue last night while working on my Iron Fist respect thread!

Owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#579  Edited By Owie

@thetruebarryallen: Oh that is funny. I had the same thing happen the other day, someone referenced a random 80s Spectacular Spiderman I had read the night before. Well, clearly Iron Fist must be respected due to his defeat of the Commodore!

@andromeda101:Glad to!

HigherPower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@owie: Thanks for featuring my threads and for the very gracious words!

Owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@owie: Thank you so much for your kind words on my CAV.

BruceRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Nice!

Battle123axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great Issue as usual

noobmaster2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good job.

RedHeathen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whoa! Check out Iron Fist!

Nice edition! Thank you, and please continue to tag me.

I can't wait to see what goes on with the Kree-Skrull War, and I'm anxious to find out what Marvel characters we'll see this year in new movies.

GhostRavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Surprised to see this is still going. Nice.

Owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghostravage: Thanks. We'll have a new one out in a couple days.

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GhostRavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#592  Edited By Owie

Issue #84

No Caption Provided

Callouts

Provided by @emperorthanos-

Mid-Tier Trio Runs a One Punch Man Hero Gauntlet

All Might from My Hero Academia, Meruem from Hunter X Hunter and Kaneki from Tokyo Ghoul all team up face the various heroes in One Punch Man universe. Individually neither would get too far in the verse but together they form quite the team with different strengths and weakness that compensate for one another. The gauntlet starts off with A Class warriors and ends at 3 of the strongest heros in the OPM verse. This thread discusses how this trio compares in the OPM universe and potentially what rank they would get in the OPM universe.

Hit and goku black vs naruto and sasuke

Now normally this would be a huge mismatch but the stats are equalized in this particular adaptation of the fight which makes it a lot more interesting. While most DB characters are very limited in what they can do and often lose such battles, Hit and Goku Black are amongst the most unique and versatile characters in the DB universe. Both have an interesting array of abilities that no one else the verse is able to perform. However they are up against Naruto and Sasuke, both whom have a vast set of abilities at their disposal. It is interesting to see how they various techniques and moves will work against each other.

Cosmic Armor Superman vs Hadou Gods Featherine and EoS Battler

Battles between Nigh Omnipotents have seen a big rise on CV recently and this fight here is one example of such a fight. Cosmic Armor Superman, one of DC's most powerful characters in ever resulting in very people few fiction being able to give him a debatable match. The two he is up against do fit that bill, some even argue that they could individually solo.

Cal Kestis and The Second Sister vs Coleman Trebor and Halsey

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order came out not to long ago and has been incredibly successful. This battle sees the main protagonist and the main antagonist of the game team up against two other Jedi in star wars. This battle gives us an idea on how the Fallen Order characters compare to the rest of the star wars universe.

CaVs and Tourneys

Provided by @owie

MCU Black Panther vs 2008 Hellboy

This live action CaV between @kingantagonist, repping Hellboy, and @death4bunnies, backing Black Panther, is an enjoyable read. It's up for votes, and the voters so far seem to think the battle might be uneven, but there's agreement that it's a fun read. There's a nice mix of writing and GIF/video usage, with the GIFs really supporting the arguments. I'm impressed with the way kingantagonist has made an argument for Hellboy being relatively fast and agile, and props to death4bunnies for the best quote from the meteor movie Armageddon! Read and vote before it's closed!

Gon Freecss vs Jirou Azuma

@defiant_will argues for Gon Freecss from Hunter X Hunter and @maestromage takes Black Torch's Jirou Azuma's corner in this CaV. It's just getting started, but there are good, in-depth arguments for both sides, with strong writing and scan usage. I always like a debate where I start off not knowing anything about the characters and by the end I feel like I'm very comfortable in my understanding of them. This feels like it will be one of those CaVs. Check it out while there are only a couple posts and it's easier to keep up.

2020 High Tier SBT 1st Edition RD1: Geekryan vs Thevoidofdeath

@geekryan has a huge team of Martian Manhunter, Sue Storm, Kuurth Juggernaut, Zatanna, Jean Grey in this tournament. His opponent, @thevoidofdeath, luckily only has to argue in favor of Raven and Wonder Woman. They both put a lot of detail into their arguments. Geekryan is particularly impressive for staying relatively succinct with that big team. This kind of battle can be hard to figure out--do numbers matter, making it hard for the opposing team to concentrate their fire? Or is it easier to take them down one by one, if they're weaker? And this one gets plenty complicated, because there's magic or psionics on both teams, plus some impressive physicals to contend with. Read the arguments and see what you think.

Respect Threads

Provided by @owie

Respect Tyrannus!

Created by @noobmaster2001, this respect thread traces the feats of Tyrannus, "the handsome, immortal, Roman emperor," as he puts it. Tyrannus has been around since Incredible Hulk 5, and while he has never risen to be a top-level villain, he is always lurking around in Subterrania plotting against the surface world or the Mole Man. He's got more abilities than you might think. Check him out!

Respect The Shade and Iron Fist!

Two RTs created by @thetruebarryallen. One covers Richard Swift, the Duke of Darkness, another long-lived character who has been published for decades, this time from DC. He has a plethora of powers, and this well-organized thread goes into them in detail. His other thread on Iron Fist is something we've needed around here for a long time. A character this high in the streetlevel rankings, and used so often, needs an RT that's well-organized. As TTBA states, he's particularly proud of this thread but doing one on such a prominent character takes a lot of work!

Respect Whirlwind, The Doombot, and The Awesome Android!

Direct from the keyboard of @professorrespect, here we have RTs on three characters that I know a lot of people might think are not deserving of respect. And yet! Here we see how even a goofy character like Whirlwind, a literal stand-in for an actual character like Doombots, or a character with the knowingly dumb nickname of Awesome Andy, have had some good feats over the last several decades. I have actually been trying to track down feats for a couple of these lately so it is great to see them given the encyclopedic treatment they deserve. They may not get used a lot in the forums, but now that you know a little more about them, maybe they will be.

Battle from the Archives

Provided by @owie

Thing vs Sasquatch (Marvel Two-in-One 83, 1982)

A classic match-up between two heavyweights: one a classic name in the world of class-100 fisticuffs, the other respected but not as well-known. Sasquatch goes into this battle with less experience, both in-universe and on-panel, but with a slightly better results in fighting the Hulk than the Thing had at this time. More details of their comparative abilities will come out during the fight.

The fight starts by accident. They run into each other in the wilderness and Sasquatch (Walter Langkowski) trips towards Ben Grimm (due to nefarious things going on underground that are causing the earth to move). Ben sees this as an aggression and the battle begins. He sucker-punches Walter.

No Caption Provided

Sasquatch may be a refined scientist at heart, but he's not going to take that. He smacks the Thing with a tree.

No Caption Provided

Walter explains that he's just taking this as a chance to test himself--but he clearly doesn't think Thing has a chance, and continues to batter him with his tree.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Ben's got some solid durability, however, and comes right back at him. In fact, his punch is nothing to be laughed at--Walter may have underestimated his opponent when he is "actually staggered" by his blow.

No Caption Provided

Sasquatch has the strength advantage here, but part of why Ben's doing just fine is his speed and technical fighting skills, which allow him to dodge the stronger and much taller Langkowski.

No Caption Provided

In terms of strength, Sasquatch says he's stronger, below and that does bear out in his past feats--for instance tossing a huge plane or lifting a huge ship, which are both way over 100 tons. Those are some pretty high-level strength feats for Marvel in this era. However, the OHOTMU of the time actually lists Langkowski as a 70 tonner and Grimm as an 85 tonner! Ultimately I tend to side with the way the story presents it, with Walter as stronger.

However, Ben's advantage is his fighting spirit and his boxing and wrestling skill.

No Caption Provided

Langkowski is outmatched when it comes to pugilistic ability, and he realizes his head is not in the game. He needs to readjust his attitude. He goes after Ben more seriously, and takes him down. Note that even Ben states that Sasquatch is stronger--and that he sees himself as fighting an uphill battle. Sasquatch reiterates his sense that the Thing was outmatched due to the hairy physicist's massive muscle power.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

But, that's not the end of it. Because the Thing is never out. Recall when Ben stopped the Juggernaut's forward motion during Secret Wars II (despite the amp Ben had had from Mephisto being taken away). Or, Ben's recent battle against the Immortal Hulk. He's a never-say-die kinda guy.

No Caption Provided

Now Sasquatch goes nuts. His reserved scientist manner is gone, and he goes berserk, whaling on Ben again and again.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Doesn't matter though...Ben comes right back:

No Caption Provided

Sasquatch is tired of this and asks for them to call it a draw, he just doesn't care that much. But Ben is always up for a brawl and is willing to take it to the end. However, the fight is interrupted by more earth-shaking, and (no surprise), the two titans team up to take out a magical malefactor.

No Caption Provided

You can read the entire battle here.

I like this battle because it shows that stats on paper don't necessarily show who's going to win a fight. According to the handbooks Ben is stronger; according to feats and both fighters in the story, Sasquatch is. But then you have to take into account their fight training and experience, and their determination to win, both of which Ben has in spades, and which kept the ever-lovin' Thing in the fight long after Langkowski thought he would have won.

If the fight hadn't been interrupted, who do you think would have won?

Extra Credits

noobmaster2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for linking my respect thread, great job as well.

Stomps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow my thread got a nomination

:))))):))))

subline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers