#401 Posted by Lvenger (36338 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for including my CAV with Gear, great issue this month guys!

#402 Posted by Vertigo- (17727 posts) - - Show Bio

Issue 70

No Caption Provided

Comic News

Rob Liefeld working on X-Men crossover

Known for his stint on X Force as well as Image Comics, Rob Liefeld has reportadly been contracted by Marvel to do a "huge" X Men crossover. While the plot details, as well as creative team is, at this point, unknown, this is certainly something interesting.

The Horsemen cometh to Marvel (sorta)

While X Men fans are most likely familliar with Apocalype's Four Horsemen, a new team of horsemen is set to debut dubbed The Four Horsemen of Salvation. While the exact roster is unknown at this point, the image in the link, which shows the cover to Uncanny X Men #4 does offer a look at the team and has some speculation as to possible members. It's sure something to talk about.

provided and written by BlackestNight93/@vertigo-

Battle threads of the week

Team 7 runs a Marvel gauntlet

For those of you who are not familiar, Team 7 is a team composed of 4 main characters from the Naruto Manga, Naruto, Sasuke, Sakura and Kakashi. And here, they all work together to try and clear the gauntlet of Marvel Comics characters and/or teams. The versions of the characters are all End of Shippuden (EoS). SO6P Naruto with all Biju, Rinnegan Sasuke, Byakugo Seal Sakura and DMS Kakashi. Pretty much the strongest versions of the characters (aside from adult versions, although some think Naruto got weaker but that is irrelevant). Team can win by all means necessary, even sealing and battle field removal, they are healed between every round and are bloodlusted. There are 10 rounds.

CW Flash vs. MCU Thanos

Flash will get yet another Season shortly, and Thanos will appear in another movie soon enough. So it's very likely that this thread will get bumped again at some point. But, I decided to include it anyway because it is a match-up I haven't seen before. This thread was made 3 months ago, but was bumped recently. One thing that differentiates this thread from other battle forum threads is that the OP actually asked specific questions. 1) Can this Flash blitz this Thanos? 2) Can he do to Thanos what Fox Quicksilver did to Fox Apocalypse? 3) Can Thanos do anything to counter it? What Infinity Gems Thanos has or if he has them at all wasn't specified.

New 52 Superman vs. Rebirth Superman

New 52 Superman, despite being accepted as weaker version of his Pre-Flashpoint counterpart, still had a bunch of Superman worthy feats, tactical showing and effective use of speed. Rebirth Superman on the other hand, despite being Post-Crisis Superman and New 52 Superman, was called out on having lackluster feats for mainstream Superman by a bunch of comic viners ever since his run came out. Until recently that is, when a lot of people started to compare him to his Post-Crisis showings (I am not informed because I'm not reading DC Rebirth comics yet). So, maybe Rebirth Superman finally surpassed his New 52 counterpart feat wise?

Maul vs. Dooku

This is again one of those rare instances where I will include a Star Wars thread here. And it is a battle between two disciples of Darth Sidious and the main villains of the first two respective Star Wars movie prequels, Maul and Dooku. One was known for his double edged light saber and the other was known for being pretty calm for a sith lord (at least that's what I heard of, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to Star Wars). Both are at their prime but Dooku is not allowed to use lightning.

Battle of the week: H'el vs Cyborg Superman

No Caption Provided

This weeks battle of the week features 2 heavy hitters from DC. It has Pre Flashpoint Cyborg Superman going up against Post-Flashpoint H'el. Both are known for how well they thrash their respective Superman, so the folks in the Battle of the week crowd decided to see who really comes out on top. While there isn't much of a debate yet, there is still time to make a solid argument for either side. If you wish to drop a comment, simply click on the link provided in the header above. Happy debating to anyone who wants to leave a comment.

If you want to recommend a certain match-up for next Battle of the Week you would like to see, leave a comment on this thread:

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/battles-7/battle-of-the-weekbest-battles-suggestion-thread-1767994/?page=1#js-message-16233438

If you want to read some older Battles of the Week, check out @wyldsong's BOTW tracker thread:

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/battles-7/battle-of-the-week-tracker-1924312/#68

written by @krleavenger

CaVs of the Week

King vs Tatsumaki and Black Sperm

King from the Seven Deadly Sins take on an OPM duo of Tatsumaki and Black Sperm. With @hittheassasin representing the Sin of Sloth against the @vsw representing the hero and monster. Two of the most popular manga at the moment, King recently got a massive upgrade right now, but is it enough to take on the #2 Hero alongside one of the most deadly monsters. This cav will give you chance to find out.

Killua vs Sasuke

A street level CaV between Killua represented by @gearsecond659 against @darthjhawk who is debating for Kid Sasuke. PT1 Sasuke is one of the most commonly used characters from Naruto, usually for street level characters. He is going up against Killua from Hunter X Hunter. Killua hasn't been seen in the HXH for a while but he got plenty of showings from prior to this arc. While he doesn't hold a candle to adult Sasuke he can certainly can give his younger version trouble.

Superman vs Naruto

One of the most hotly contest battle on vine right now. New 52 Superman vs Naruto. Some consider it a mismatch in favour of Superman, other consider Naruto to be superior of the two. In this cav @streak619 is representing the current Hokage against @_kingoflatveria representing the Man of Steel. While this cav may not give a final conclusion to this battle, it will give us a different take on it and maybe change people's opinions on who wins.

Usopp vs PTS Zoro

An all One Piece CaV. Current Usopp takes on Pre Time Skip Zoro. With @gearsecond659 representing the former for the second cav in this week against @shirso debating for the latter. Now Usopp has always been much weaker than Zoro and he wouldn't stand a chance against current Zoro. However Usopp has gotten significantly stronger and me may just be able to take on Zoro prior to him getting haki.

Written by @emperorthanos-

Character of the week: Korvac (written by @warlockmage)

No Caption Provided

Michael Korvac is one of the Avengers most powerful and most deadly opponents. Korvac originally was a human born on earth-691 in the 31st century. He was a highly skilled technician who offered his services to the Badoon. Unfortunately humans still have limits and they made Korvac work until he collapsed. After he collapsed the Badoon amputated his lower extremities and hooked him up to a floating module.

First Appearance

His first appearance was in Defenders Giant Size #3 the Grandmaster had teleported Korvac from the 31st century to contest the Defenders.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3
Giant Size Defenders #3

Korvac was supposed to fight Doctor Strange, but it turns out he was defeated... or was he? As it turns out Korvac had allowed himself to be defeated so that he could scan the Grandmasters technology, this in turn awakened a whole new set of powers for Korvac

No Caption Provided

Thor and Starhawk were able to "beat" Korvac in this annual forcing him to teleport away, it turns out Korvac would not stay long for gone. When he teleported away he teleported back to the 20th century and discovered Galactus' ship where he downloaded a new body

Avengers 175

Prelude to The Korvac Saga/Meeting Carina Walters

Carina Walters is the daughter of the Collector designed to spy on Korvac by the Collector, pretty heinous if you ask me. They met at one of Janet's fashion shows where Carina was a model, the show was interrupted by some D class villain and it provided the perfect cover for Carina and Michael to escape

The Avengers 167

As you can see the moment they met an instant connection was formed. Unfortunately this would be classified under "unhealthy relationship" as we would discover in the Korvac Saga.

After this the first person to realize Korvac for who he is, is none other than Starhawk, unfortunately Starhawk was no match for Korvac

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2
The Avengers 168

Starhawk would be remade by Korvac, except Hawk would not be able to detect him with any of his senses this us actually really important to remember as we head into the Korvac Saga

The Korvac Saga

Korvac spends much of the beginning of this saga watching and observing the cosmos while he enacts his plan

Avengers 173

Even ones such as Odin and Eternity do not perceive Korvac for what he is, but Carina's faith in Korvac is shaken. She originally starts to send energy out to alert others of Korvac's presence and betray him. She quickly stops but not before Korvac is aware of what she attempted to do. like i said unhealthy relationship

On the Avengers side, the Collector has been doing what he does best, Collecting Avengers.

After Hakweye single handidly solos the Collector, it is revealed that Carina is the Collectors daughter, and that the Collector also knew of Korvac and the threat he posed. Before the Collector could say anything though he found himself murdered by none other than Korvac himself

Avengers 174

This turns out to be Korvac's 2nd biggest mistake as it alerted the Avengers to a threat big enough to kill the Collector

Iron Man eventually tracks down where the blast came from to a neighborhood house, but upon arriving there no one from Jocasta to Captain Mar-vell could determine there was a threat it was only until Starhawks outburst proclaiming there was no one there were the Avengers threats finally realized. After all Korvac said Starhawk could not detect him with any of his senses including sight.

Avengers 176

And thus the Avengers found themselves face to face with their biggest threat since Thanos.

Korvac then proceeds to slaughter both Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy alike, not even the mighty Thor is enough to stop him. Korvac very well could have succeeded had Carina not lost faith in him

Korvac was struck down, and an enraged Carina soon followed struck down by Thor. Before Korvac was struck down, he reached out to those he had slain and restored them.

This was the conclusion of the Korvac Saga, but it was not Korvac's end. Korvac would carry on a little longer making brief appearances in Fantastic Four Annual 24, Guardians of the Galaxy 3000, and of course, during the most recent Secret Wars, the series titled "The Korvac Saga"

Why I like Korvac

hes one of those characters that started off weak and was developed into one of the better Marvel villains, his storyline was unique and he was a worthy villain to the combined might of the Avengers and Guardians 3000. I mostly like him because he shined so brightly during his time as an Avengers villain.

Recommended Reading

Avengers 167-168 and 173-177

What If vol 1 #32

Korvac Saga

A list of all his appearances can be found here

Credits

#403 Posted by Darthjhawk (5476 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice issue guys! Would love to see humans of the forums come back too!

Avatar image for deactivated-5bdcbb8da1d15
#404 Posted by deactivated-5bdcbb8da1d15 (5093 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice issue guys! Would love to see humans of the forums come back too!

#405 Posted by vsw (2917 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for including ma CAV! And great issue as Usual

#406 Posted by emperorthanos- (16376 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for deactivated-5bdcbb8da1d15
#407 Edited by deactivated-5bdcbb8da1d15 (5093 posts) - - Show Bio

@emperorthanos-: I'd be willing to get interviewed if y'all really need people lol

#408 Posted by Darthjhawk (5476 posts) - - Show Bio

@emperorthanos-: True. I guess you could always try our mutual CV friend base?

Avatar image for major_hellstrom
#409 Posted by Major_Hellstrom (17674 posts) - - Show Bio

@emperorthanos-: Have you ever been interviewed?

#410 Posted by Kevd4wg (12750 posts) - - Show Bio

Great issue!

#411 Posted by Veshark (10499 posts) - - Show Bio

Love the concept. Community engagement like this is what keeps the Battle Boards fresh and thriving. We didn't have this back in my debating heyday *waves cane at the young whippersnappers*. Let me know if you ever need some help with content contribution, I'm always game to do write-ups.

#412 Posted by Streak619 (7615 posts) - - Show Bio

Great issue. Thanks for the shoutout.

#414 Posted by emperorthanos- (16376 posts) - - Show Bio
#415 Posted by ANTHP2000 (26930 posts) - - Show Bio

Solid.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
#416 Posted by Life_Without_Progress (24261 posts) - - Show Bio
#417 Posted by Major_Hellstrom (17674 posts) - - Show Bio

If you guys want to be interviewed or to have someone be interviewed, pm me. I handle HOTBF.

Try getting HeroUp, (unless you have already)

#418 Posted by Life_Without_Progress (24261 posts) - - Show Bio
#419 Posted by Major_Hellstrom (17674 posts) - - Show Bio

@life_without_progress: He does enough, besides Humans of the Battle Forum is struggling for people anyways, might as well make it Humans of Comic Vine.

#420 Posted by BruceRogers (17314 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice read, as always.

#421 Posted by Lvenger (36338 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice write up on Korvac @warlockmage. Solid issue once again guys, keep up the good work.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c522ab96172e
#422 Posted by deactivated-5c522ab96172e (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

Amazing, good work.

Avatar image for cosmicallyaware1
#423 Posted by cosmicallyaware1 (7308 posts) - - Show Bio

I need to come out of hibernation and do an article for the DD....

#425 Posted by TheWatcherKing (18330 posts) - - Show Bio

@thewatcherking Edward vs Deku?

Are you asking if I want to CaV that? Cause if so I wouldn't mind doing it in the future,although I am not an expert on FMA.

This isn't the the thread for that kind of stuff though.

#426 Edited by DeathHero61 (18766 posts) - - Show Bio

@thewatcherking:whoops accidently clicked on daily debater instead of Challenge A Viner.

Edit: Deleted my comment.

#427 Posted by KrleAvenger (26349 posts) - - Show Bio

Issue #71

No Caption Provided

I'm posting this time. Sorry for the long delay. Hope you enjoy reading.

Announcements

Tournament Tracker Thread

This was an idea that a group of us Tourney Hosts came up with. Basically it is a thread to keep track of all the on going tournaments whether in signs ups or in matches. The purpose of this thread is to ensure we don't have an overflow of tourneys and everyone gets participants for their tournaments. On top of that there is section for callouts where people who wish to be tagged for tourneys to participate or vote.

written by @emperorthanos-

Trailers

We are a bit late, but enjoy watching them if you haven't already.

Loading Video...

================================================

Loading Video...

===============================================

Loading Video...

===============================================

Loading Video...

provided by blackestnight93/@vertigo- & @life_without_progress

Comic News

Marvel Comics Presents relaunch

Longtime Marvel fans are surely familiar with this series that published between 1988-1995 and again from 2007-2009. Well, Marvel is bringing it back and we've got 3 separate stories for some of Marvel's best characters: Wolverine, Captain America and Namor the Sub Mariner will each have their own separate stories running in this anthology. More in the article linked

New DC Imprint announced.

DC comics has finally revealed the name and focus of Brian Bendis' upcoming imprint. Known as Wonder Comics, this imprint will focus on DC's younger heroes, as well as including some new faces. We already have an idea of who will be appearing as Superboy/Connor Kent, Impluse and the Wonder Twins are right in the center of the image that confirmed the name. More in the article linked.

Young Justice to reunite

Fans of Superboy, Impulse or Tim Drake (and who read their 90's material) remember when they first banded together. No, they weren't the Teen Titans, they were something different. They were Young Justice. They were the heroes of tomorrow. Well, now they're teaming up again and being written by Bendis and drawn by artist Patrick Gleason. More in the article linked if you want to check it out

First look at Flash: Year One

Ever wonder what Barry Allen was like when he first got his powers? Think he just jumped into the costume and off he goes? Think again. Josh Williamson, who's been writing the Flash since 2016 will be exploring Barry's early years as the fastest man alive and we will possibly see a Barry who hasn't quite mastered his powers, if his costume is any indication. Gone is the spandex and in is a hood, t-shirt and knee + elbow pads. More in the article linked.

Savage Sword of Conan announced

Beginning in February, a new Conan series will be released. Written by Gerry Duggan and drawn by an art team that includes names like Ron Garney and Richard Isanove, this story will follow Conan across seas, searching for treasure and of course, using lots of weapons, against his foes. Included in each issue will be a serialized novella as a nod to the characters pulp fiction past. Mark your calanders folks. More in the article linked

Weekly 'Man Without Fear' series announced by Marvel

No, this is not Frank Miller coming back to write Daredevil again, this is something else. To deal with the fallout of the upcoming "Death of Daredevil" arc Charles Soule is writing, Jed MacKay and Danillo S Beyruth are writing this series that will center around the aftermath of Daredevil's demise. The idea of this seems to be in the same vein as "The Logan Legacy" or "Fallen Son", which dealt with the deaths of Wolverine and Captain America respectively. More in the article linked

Sasuke Uchiha vs. All Might

Kicking things of with this week's battles (which is pretty short but we couldn't find anything else), we have a battle between two popular Shonen characters. Sasuke from Naruto and All-Might from My Hero Academia. An Avenger vs. a hero. All Might is at his Prime and Sasuke is at his Curse Seal Stage 2 and has 3 Tomoe Sharingan, like during his fight against Naruto from Part 1 in Final Valley. This thread was created 3 months ago and while it is barely 2 pages long, it got bumped recently and there were some decent arguments seen on this thread, so I figured it is interesting enough to be posted. Mostly this is a "who hits first" type of argument. People agree All-Might would one shot Sasuke, but Sasuke has better speed and can cause a lot of damage with Chidori.

Venom (Tom Hardy) runs the live action gauntlet

For about 10 days ago, ThorParker82 created this thread, where he put the new version of Live Action Venom into a gauntlet where he has to face a bunch of other Live Action Comic characters. Unfortunately not a lot of info was provided by the OP about the battle itself, but this thread was bumped a day ago after being dead for about five days, and it still contains some new posts. Now, I didn't watch the movie so I won't be reading this thread it detail, but it does contain some arguments and even if you watched the movie, there is a possibility of you missing some feats, which you can see here (but again, i'm not saying you will). You should check it out regardless. The order does seem pretty accurate. Especially Nolan Batman being above MCU/DCEU Powerhouses ;)

Nightwing vs. Elektra

The third and the final battle thread for this week is the fight between two mainstream comic characters from DC and Marvel (seems fair, one Manga, one Live Action, one Comic). And for street tier at that. It's the fight between first Robin Dick Grayson, Nightwing, and Elektra Natchios, Daredevil's former love interest and the most iconic assassin of the Marvel Universe. Nightwing vs. Daredevil is a popular fight by itself but people can't decide if Dick is equal to, superior to weaker than Daredevil, and while this is less subjective, some would even say Elektra is on par with and even superior to Daredevil. Regardless, ABC logic does not apply here and even so, this is a still pretty popular match up, evident by the fact that some users actually care enough to make longer posts, argue and actually provide scans. Now you may be thinking, this is a new thread and there were a bunch of these threads already. Well, there are 3 rounds and all of them have different rules that could change the outcome.

Battle of the Week: Daredevil & Elektra vs. Captain America & Winter Soldier

No Caption Provided

What we have here is a fight between 4 Marvel Street Levelers. The match up seems kinda generic but it is original at the same time, because we have Daredevil teaming up with his former love, Elektra, and Rogers teaming up with his friend and partner, Bucky Barnes, Winter Soldier (both of their partners are assassins, ironically enough). This is a pretty interesting fight because while Daredevil and Captain America fought multiple times (always without clear cut winner because most of their fights were contextual), Elektra and Bucky never fought before, or even Elektra and Cap for that matter (as far as I know at least). Daredevil and Winter Soldier fought but it wasn't much of a fight. Matt did better but Wolverine stated Bucky would win. So there is not a lot of source material to draw from when it comes to this fight and it would mostly be a comparison between standalone feats instead of actual fights between the two because like I said, there are not many, and those that do exist do not give us definitive answers. While Team Ninja probably has skill edge due to Elektra overall being proficient Martial Artist while Bucky isn't very known as top tier fighter, Bucky is more tactical fighter and is better for for team fights, giving Team Super Soldiers the edge in teamwork. Then again, that doesn't really tell us who would win because Matt vs. Cap is still a factor, or maybe the two of them won't even fight each other but their partners instead. There are a lot of factors to this fight, like most street level battles. Check it out. There is still a lot of room for debate. The thread currently only has about 35 votes and 15 comments (at least by the time this is written).

If you want to recommend a certain match-up for next Battle of the Week you would like to see, leave a comment on this thread:

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/battles-7/battle-of-the-weekbest-battles-suggestion-thread-1767994/?page=1#js-message-16233438

If you want to read some older Battles of the Week, check out @wyldsong's BOTW tracker thread:

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/battles-7/battle-of-the-week-tracker-1924312/#68

provided and written by @krleavenger

CaVs of the week

Ultron vs Nicol Bolas

A CaV between, as the participant and the OP @darthjhawk says, is the battle between polar opposites (science vs magic), which him representing his trademark character, Ultron (with Final Form feats). His opponent @undeadbantha represents Nicol Bolas (Post-Mending). Pretty fast pace CaV, given that the former posted his opener 3 days ago, and the former posted his own a day ago.

HP Doomsday vs SSJ3 Goku

Doomsday and Goku are two characters with pretty controversial and unclear levels of power, one being Superman's killer and the other being his number 1 rival on the battle forum. Here, they are facing each other in their most powerful incarnations (not counting non canon comics and Super), with @empressofdread representing Doomsday, and @babymagikarp representing Goku.

provided and written by @emperorthanos-

Kraven’s Last Hunt Would Be Perfect DLC For Spider-Man PS4by @k4tzm4n

No Caption Provided

Honestly, I didn't read this blog because I was afraid of finding some spoilers for Spider-man PS4 game. I am really enjoying it and I haven't come close to being finished. And even now, I can say that that game easily beats all other games, and even all movies and cartoons when it comes to accurate portrayal of Spider-man and story telling (at least in my personal opinion). I heard we are getting 3 DLCs (first one is coming up really soon) and a lot of people speculate that one of them will be Kraven DLC, which will include a boss battle, extra plot points and more suits. Regardless, Greg being one of the most talented and knowledgeable users on this site, plus being the biggest Kraven the Hunter fan here, probably made some valid points (this may not sound very convincing given that I didn't read the segment myself, but I can't lie to you LOL). And given how good this game is, I think I could agree with this point even without reading the whole thing (which does not mean you are not suppose to read it and leave a comment or something, don't be like me cause you are afraid of spoilers). After all, this is considered to be one of the best Spider-man stories of all time, and for good reason. One of those being a living proof to Disney being ignorant about thinking Spider-man is all fun, light hearthed story for children, or even other fans for that matter. He can be dark without it being forced or looking strait up weird and out of place and character. And besides, Kraven can be a great boss when used correctly (unlike Xbox1 Spider-man movie game, Spider-man 3 movie games for PS2 and PS3, and Amazing Spider-man 2 movie game for Xbox360 and PS4, all of which wasted Kraven's character).

written by @krleavenger

Humans Of The Battle Forums: @veshark

Who is Veshark? Where did the name come from?

On the Vine, Veshark is a Battle Boards Hall of Famer, amateur comic-book artist, and (arguably) this forum's biggest Captain America fan. In his secret identity offline, Veshark is a mild-mannered civilian who enjoys listening to Wu-Tang, lifting weights at the gym, and thinking way more about superhero comics than any grown man should. The name "Veshark" comes from a character I invented as a kid: picture a shark version of Savage Dragon, who prowls the seven seas, battling pirates and eldritch abominations.

How did you get into superhero comics? How did you start posting on CV?

Like any God-fearing Millennial, I grew up on a steady diet of DCAU cartoons and Power Rangers, so I've always been a big fan of gaudily-dressed do-gooders fighting crime. I owned a couple comics as a kid (I think my first comic was an issue of Barb Wire that my mom bought. Guess she never checked the inner contents, bless her heart), but I believe my first real exposure to superhero comics came from a bunch of black-and-white Marvel Essentials I found in the school library. While my friends were busy kissing girls and playing in some otherworldly realm known as "the outdoors," I spent my days reading the classic Lee-Kirby Fantastic Four, and the Lee-Ditko/Romita Spider-Man runs. The dramatic prose of Lee, paired with the dynamism of his artists left an indelible mark on ten-year-old me (I even tried to do a book report on Amazing Spider-Man once, but my teacher wouldn't let me because it wasn't a "real book." Yeah, f--k you too, Mr. Reiber). Classics like The Galactus Trilogy and The Night Gwen Stacy Died were among the first comics I ever read, and I credit Silver Age Marvel with sparking my love for the medium.

But I don't think I identified as a genuine fan of superhero comics until the winter of '07, when I stumbled on a copy of Moon Knight Vol. 1 The Bottom at a bookstore. Something about that David Finch cover of a fearsome Moon Knight leaping from the shadows touched me in my soul. I copped it on impulse, loved it, and before I knew it I wanted more. To this day, that first volume of Moon Knight remains one of my Top 10 comics of all time, and that was the beginning of my love affair with the print world of superheroes. So I guess you could say I...started from The Bottom, huh? Heh. Get it?

Anyway, as the years went by, my passion for superhero comics became all-consuming in my life. It literally became my defining character trait as a person. You have to understand, as a teenager growing up in Southeast Asia, choosing superhero comics as your hobby was a commitment. You had to genuinely believe in that shit. LCS' are practically non-existent in my country, so you had to buy all your trade paperbacks at Borders, which aren't cheap after that pesky currency exchange rate. Not to mention this was before everyone knew who "Tony Stark" was, and being into superhero comics was even socially-acceptable. So, not only was it a pricey pastime, but it was also one that I couldn't readily share with the people around me.

But I was in love with these stories of men and women in tights fighting for justice. I spent every Chinese New Year envelope I got on my growing library of comic-books. I sat through all ten seasons of Smallville, in the days before the Arrowverse and Netflix Marvel. I spent hours drawing my own superhero comics, and writing my own scripts too (Geoff Johns, @ me on Twitter, I got ideas). Anything that was vaguely superhero-related, I devoured. But there's only so many times my dear sister can listen to me chew her ear off about how Hugh Jackman's claws should be protruding from above his knuckles, not between them...so eventually I realized I had to find people to talk superhero comics with. Enter: Comic Vine.

I started posting actively on this forum about six years ago. I've tried multiple other comics forums since (CBR, Reddit etc.), but to me, there's no community quite like the Vine. There's just something I love about these forums that really capture the spirit of superhero fandom: the argumentative, opinionated debates about favorite characters, the colorful personalities of the Viners, the special jargon like "jobber" or "PIS" or "speedblitz" that no one outside this fanbase would understand... I just love the energy of talking to people who are as passionate about superhero comics as I am, and the Vine gave me an outlet to express my obsession at a time when I couldn't. So, as annoying and difficult as this community can sometimes be, I'll always be grateful to Comic Vine--and all the amazing Viners I've interacted with--for giving me someone to talk to, at a time when I didn't have anyone.

Now as some of you may know, I took a long sabbatical from the Vine in the past couple of years due to real-life catching up with me. It's hard to find time to collect feats for Cyborg Superman when you have those pesky real-world commitments. But the Shark has returned, and while I likely won't be as active as I was in my prime, you can always find Veshark on the Vine if you ever want to shoot the breeze about why Age of Ultron is still the best Avengers movie ever.

Who are your favorite characters and creators?

If I had to give my Big Three of favorite superheroes, it would come down to Captain America (Shocker, right?), Batman, and Superman. I love all three (almost) equally. And as silly and saccharine as it might seem, these fictional characters played a huge role in my moral compass growing up, just as much as my parents or the Good Book. Superman inspired me to trust people, and to try and see the good in difficult personalities, even when it's not easy. Batman taught me that suffering breeds compassion, and that loss can often help you to be a better, stronger person. Captain America showed me that the toughest battles are always the ones worth fighting for, and to stand in your own convictions even when others doubt you. Or, to quote the great scribe Grant Morrison, "Superheroes are bullshit. Everyone knows it. But the ideas and feelings that they inspire are real."

Besides them, I also love superheroes who show a fallible side; heroes who are good men but who often make questionable decisions because they're only human. Characters like Iron Man, Cyclops, and Green Arrow are immensely relatable to someone like me, as while Kal-El is who I aspire to be, Oliver Queen is who I actually resemble--someone who tries to do the right thing, but who often f--ks up. I'm also a big fan of "outsider" superheroes like Black Panther, Martian Manhunter, or Aquaman. Being a third-culture kid who spent a lot of my childhood across different schools and countries, I've always felt a connection to heroes who don't belong, but who still continue to do the right thing for a society that maybe doesn't fully accept them.

And then of course, there's Moon Knight. I don't have a profound reason there, I just think he looks cool punching people while wearing a white paper bag over his face.

As for my favorite creators, I'm afraid I don't really have a spectacular answer; most of my favorites are probably your favorites too (Morrison, Moore, Ellis, Ennis, Brubaker, Kirby, Mignola, Alex Ross etc.). That said, I will give a special shout-out to two of my favorite creators who absolutely deserve it. The first is Bryan Hitch, who is probably the single greatest influence on my style as an amateur comic-book artist. I'm not talking about New-52 Justice League-Hitch, but the guy who drew widescreen comics like no one else could in the late 90s and early 2000s...I'm talking Ultimates/Authority/JLA Bryan Hitch in his pencilling prime. He was one of the best goddamn artists to ever put the pen to the lightbox, and I really hope he finds his artistic groove again soon (I've been hearing good things about the art on Venditti's Hawkman, though!). If you haven't read it, I would also recommend picking up Hitch's book Ultimate Comics Studio. It's a how-to guide for drawing comics, and that book (as well as John Buscema's How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way) has provided me with some of the best insights into the industry.

As for the second creator: it's Jim Owsley himself, aka Christopher James Priest. Way back before Rebirth Deathstroke, I was this man's biggest champion. I was convinced that Priest was a genius who never got the credit he deserved from fans, and I loved everything he wrote, no matter how flawed. Black Panther, The Crew, Captain America and the Falcon, even bloody Steel--I loved it all. The man could write. And I mean, he wasn't just writing generic, forgettable superhero comics. He was writing some of the most intelligent Big Two comics I'd ever read: injecting his stories with razor-sharp witticisms and lively prose, telling plots that challenged conventional linear storytelling, while not being afraid to utilize complex continuity and build on the work of past writers as well... If Hitch was who I wanted to draw like, Priest was who I wanted to write like. It fills me with so much joy to see Priest doing regular comic-book work again, and Deathstroke remains one of the best books on the stands today.

How much have you changed as a Battle Boards debater?

Oh, man. I like to think that I've established a somewhat laudable reputation as a debater on the Vine. I fight to remain rational and objective in my debates, I always put top effort and research into my arguments, and I try to treat fellow Viners with respect. But I certainly didn't start out like that. One of the first real debates I got into on the Vine was a thread on Batman vs. Green Goblin that I'm still genuinely embarrassed by. I was one of those annoying Batfans who thought he knew everything about superhero comics, and I remember just throwing a barrage of feats at my opponent, thinking it was going to win me the debate ("Batman fought a leopard before! He's strong enough to beat Osborn in H2H!"). I won't say any names, but I'll always be thankful to the Viner whom I was debating with, because he remained polite and courteous throughout the entire exchange. He didn't shoot me down condescendingly, or dismiss my arguments as just another n00b Batfan, but did his best to explain why I was wrong. I think his conduct inspired me a little, and it put me on the right step to being a good debater.

Over time, as is the case with most of you I'm sure, my debating style got more advanced and intelligent. I learned to curtail any personal attacks on my opponents, and keep the focus solely on the debate between fictional characters. I learned how to research properly (which is a debater's finest weapon, if you ask me); to gather feats, and to understand context and PIS/WIS. I learned how to expand my debating repertoire from strictly street-level characters, to mid-tier powerhouses and high-tier heralds. Basically, like any other talent or discipline, I got better through practice, patience, and putting the time in.

But mostly, I think any "skill" I have in debating about superheroes derives itself from my genuine love for these characters and their worlds. I didn't start debating just to win arguments or lord my geek knowledge over people. I started debating because I wanted to share my information, to learn more, and to put all those hours reading comics to good use via creative, thought-provoking discussions.

What is your debating reputation on the Vine, and what are your debating highlights?

To be honest, I'm still somewhat surprised (and flattered) that Viners even remember me, considering I'm not half as active as some of the true Battle Boards heavyweights are. I wasn't even posting on the Vine when I was accepted into the Hall of Fame, as I recall. As such, I'm not as presumptuous to assume what my "reputation" on the Battle Boards is, but I'd like to think that most Viners consider me someone who will give you a challenging debate. If you've read any of my CaVs, you'll know that I'm someone who always does his research, who always takes his time to formulate arguments, and who always finishes any debates that I've commited to. I like to think that if you're debating Veshark, you won't be wasting your time and effort--the Shark will always give 110%.

Now, there've been a lot of highlights in the years I've spent debating on these boards, but my absolute crowning achievement is undeniably the Team CaV I did with @comicstooge, @cosmicallyaware1, and @sovereign91001. I still get messages about that CaV, and I'm incredibly proud of all the energy and research I put into my posts, the performance of my peers, and the fact that the four of us actually finished the goddamn thing too. Much love to my fellow debaters and the Viners who voted, and if you haven't checked it out yet, feel free to: Team CaV: Graviton & Kang the Conqueror vs. Cyborg Superman & Ronan the Accuser.

Any advice you'd like to offer, or shoutouts to fellow debaters?

I don't think any "advice" I could share would be that much different than what conventional wisdom would suggest. But I guess I'll end our little interview by offering two pointers:

Do your due diligence: Using your knowledge is only half the debate, the other half is acquiring that knowledge. Debating is a game of information, and the debater with more information holds the cards. There's nothing more annoying that a Viner running their mouth off about something they know jack about, and that's why I always emphasize research. Research, research, research. Research your own character, obviously, but also research your opponent's. Study your enemy's strengths, their weaknesses, their best and worst feats, their personality and interactions with other characters etc. Flip the chess board and look at the debate from your opponent's perspective. Try to imagine how they'll combat you, and then think of counterarguments to shut down their debate before it even begins. You need to think like WildStorm Midnighter and consider all the information and possible scenarios. Trust me, if you do the proper research and put the actual work in, you'll never lose.

Finish your commitments: I understand that we all have a real life outside these forums, and that for most of us, the Vine isn't the only thing going on in our worlds. But if you start a CaV, please do your utmost to finish it. There's nothing more annoying to me than spending all this time researching and preparing my argument, and looking forward to an interesting debate...only to have the other guy drop out halfway without so much as a polite PM. The Battle Boards are littered with the corpses of unfinished CaVs, and a good handful of those are mine. No salt to anyone who's ever had to drop a CaV with me, but please, if you really can't finish it...shoot the other debater an explanation, or try to find a replacement to fill-in for you (s/o @lvenger, who stepped in for me during a tournament when I had offline business to handle). A consistent debater who completes his arguments is more impressive to me than someone who makes a couple great arguments, but never finishes what he/she began.

As for shoutouts, I want to give the first one to my best friend on the Vine: @, wherever he is. He's not as active on the Vine anymore, but back in the day, we would spend pages of PMs discussing comics and I always looked forward to talking about the latest MCU flick with this dude. I don't even remember when we started talking, but I quite literally have hundreds of pages in my inbox of the two of us just shooting the shit.

Besides RB, I also want to give a s/o to my debating bros ( @comicstooge, @cosmicallyaware1, and @sovereign91001) for that awesome CaV, and we really need to get the band back together one of these days. And of course, to the other Battle Boards regulars for all the amazing arguments you've given me over the years: @lvenger, Wolverine08,@juiceboks, Czarny, NickZ(@the_hajduk), @i_like_swords, CadenceV2 aka Pokergeist aka SirFizzWhizz, and many more that I can't think of right now. Keep doing what you're doing, and thanks for making the Battle Boards such a fun home away from home.

Thanks for reading.

-Veshark

provided by @life_without_progress

Credits

#428 Posted by BruceRogers (17314 posts) - - Show Bio

This was a lovely read.

#429 Posted by Veshark (10499 posts) - - Show Bio

Ayyeee was wondering when my interview would go up.

Monumental effort from all the contributors as always, gentlemen.

#430 Posted by EmpressOfDread (12367 posts) - - Show Bio

Props for mentioning my CAV.

#431 Posted by WollfMyth209 (16507 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice stuff.

#432 Posted by Darthjhawk (5476 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome work! Thank you for the feature and glad to see HOTBF has made a return great interview!

#433 Posted by RisingBean (9797 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark I'd have never have seen this if not for the mention in our PM. (Which I'll respond to this weekend.) Good stuff. I'm glad to see the community here continuing to thrive. We need more cornerstones like the Daily Debater. Also, you and/or your proofreader needs a thrashing.

As for shoutouts, I want to give the first one to my best friend on the Vine: @, wherever he is. He's not as active on the Vine anymore, but back in the day, we would spend pages of PMs discussing comics and I always looked forward to talking about the latest MCU flick with this dude. I don't even remember when we started talking, but I quite literally have hundreds of pages in my inbox of the two of us just shooting the shit.

#434 Posted by Veshark (10499 posts) - - Show Bio

@risingbean: It was there when I wrote it, as always, I blame editorial.

#435 Posted by Lvenger (36338 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome work! Thank you for the feature and glad to see HOTBF has made a return great interview!

#436 Posted by Streak619 (7615 posts) - - Show Bio

Great read guys!

#437 Posted by emperorthanos- (16376 posts) - - Show Bio

Issue #71

No Caption Provided

I'm posting this time. Sorry for the long delay. Hope you enjoy reading.

Comic News

"Old Man Quill" series announced by Marvel

First there was Old Man Logan, then Old Man Hawkeye. Now, Marvel has announced that Peter Quill, a.k.a Star Lord is set to get the same treatment. Written by Ethan Sacks (Old Man Hawkeye) and drawn by Robert Gill, this series is set to add something of an expansion to the "Old Man" universe. We don't know when the series is going to be released, but we do know that the series is set to take place "a little after Old Man Logan".

===========================================================================================

MCU Captain America runs the Durability gauntlet

MCU Captain America received some incredibly impressive durability feats in recent years, including infamous feat of tanking a blow from Thanos himself. But how durable is he? How well can he tank impressive attacks and what forms of attacks is he more vulnerable to? How long can he go until he gets killed, knocked out or extremely injured? And without blocking and while letting the opponent beat him up? I mean, he kinda did already go through that. He let Bucky beat him up, but that does not really show his limit. He was shot multiple times and was already fighting Bucky prior. So, how good is he exactly? How far can he go?

Composite CW character vs. Thanos (616)

Well, this is a different type of a thread. One I don't normally include, but since it is different and apparently popular enough, I decided to include it this time. Basically, it is Composite CW character fighting 616 Thanos. Basically every character from CW DC TV universe combined into one, with all their knowledge, powers and abilities, versus comic version of Thanos (no special equipment by the way like Cosmic Cube, Infinity Gems and Heart of the Universe). This thread is a week old and is already 200 posts long by the time this is posted.

WB Hulk vs. Superman and Hal Jordan

This is more of an generic type of battle, but given sudden rivalry between Superman and Hal Jordan that I often see these days on regular threads and CaVs, I think it would be cool to post a thread where they team up for once. And here, they will face the strongest version of Marvel's classic powerhouse, the Incredible Hulk. They may be a match for him one on one under normal circumstances, but he is World Breaker here. Then again, Team DC has perfect teamwork and they are morals off, so maybe that can allow them to pull this off. Or Hulk's raw power proves to be too much for duo.

written by @krleavenger

===========================================================================================

Battle of the Week: Hellboy vs. Green Goblin

No Caption Provided

This weeks battle features the the BRPD's Hellboy taking on the man with the maniacal laugh, Green Goblin. It's monster vs monster and only one can come out on top. Who shall prevail? The thread itself is fairly fresh and there is tons of time to drop an argument if you feel like supporting on side, or if you want to learn about these characters, debaters on both sides have already chimed in. There certainly is good potential here, given Hellboys own physicals, against Normans seemingly range and mobility advantage. Happy debating to everyone who comments.

CaVs of The Week

Composite CoC Wizard vs MCU Doctor Strange

MCU Doctor Strange takes on a Composite Clash of Clans Wizard. @Gearsecond659 debates for the MCU Avenger while his opponent is debated by @major_hellstrom. Now I'm sure a lot of are you a little confused by this cav, Clash of Clan is not a verse that you see in the battle forums at all let alone in a cav. However the Composite Wizard seems to have quite a few feats. The debate is currently open for votes so go give it a read.

Ult Captain America and Bloodshot vs Prophet and Jack Krauser

@avaliantimge represents a duo of Ultimate Captain America and Bloodshot against a video game duo of Prohpet and Jack Krauser being debated by @a_marques. Video Game vs Comic CaVs are rare due to how the two mediums work however these set of characters are pretty close in terms of feats and this should make for a fun battle.

Kakashi vs Aizen

Naruto vs Bleach, a rivalry that has lasted since the two manga came about. Characters from these two series have been pitted for ages and while Naruto is clearly superior at the top, there are several match ups between the two to be had. One such battle is Aizen vs Kakashi. Two deadly characters in their respective verse, they both posses a vast amount of abilities and have multiple means of attack. With @alextheboss representing the former and @hope_w representing the latter, this should be an interesting fight to say the least.

Sasuke vs Supergirl

The third Comic vs Manga match up between @lvenger and @emperorthanos, this debating for Supergirl and Sasuke respectively. Naruto characters have been very controversial on vine especially when they are being compared to comic ones. Everyone has a different opinion on their feats and where they should be placed. While this cav may not end that, it will atleast give us a chance to see how Naruto top tiers compare to a DC character. And considering how the past debates between these to have gone, this is one to watch.

Michael Myers vs Jason Voohres

With Halloween happening last week, it was only right for the to be a cav between two of the biggest Horror Icons. Michael Myers represented by @geeman2 takes Jason Voorhees represented by @jango420. Two deadly horror villains, people have debated who is superior of the two of a long time. This cav will be yet another take on the age old battle, if you are fan of these characters or their movies be sure to check this out.

written by @emperorthanos-

====================================================================================================

KGBeast Is One of Batman's Deadliest Foes by @k4tzm4n

No Caption Provided

With the recent release of Batman's newer issue (even tho we/The Daily Debater are kinda late at this point, around 2 months), and the return of an assassin know as KGBeast, our knowledgeable writer and mod Greg is here to tell you why he is incredibly underrated Batman villain and we he deserves to be, at least brought up more frequently along with other Batman villains. I mean, everybody says Batman has the best villains ever, so it is fair to introduce us to more obscured villains of his. While most people on Vine know of KGBeast, he is more obscured to more casual Batman fans. So in case you are not much of a Batman reader and you want to learn more about this character, or just interested in hearing Greg's personal opinion on the character you are already knowledgeable on, click the link in the title. It's really not that long of a blog. It is incredibly concise and yet says more than enough. Maybe leave a comment. Come on, you are not gonna get up and walk.

Credits

#438 Posted by vsw (2917 posts) - - Show Bio

Excellent issue like always guys

#439 Posted by Kevd4wg (12750 posts) - - Show Bio

Old Man Quill? Lmao, that'll be interesting. Great issue

#440 Edited by Defiant_Will (1130 posts) - - Show Bio
#441 Posted by Warlockmage (9210 posts) - - Show Bio

@kevd4wg said:

Old Man Quill? Lmao, that'll be interesting. Great issue

im skeptical... so many other better characters they could use. there's allot of characters we didn't see the death of that could be wandering around out there

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4
#442 Posted by deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4 (18365 posts) - - Show Bio

Old Man Quill?

#443 Posted by Amendment50 (15427 posts) - - Show Bio

When are we gonna get Old Man Punisher though?

No Caption Provided

#444 Posted by Life_Without_Progress (24261 posts) - - Show Bio

@amendment50: Didn't Punisher die with Daredevil in Old Man Logan, though?

#445 Posted by Amendment50 (15427 posts) - - Show Bio

@life_without_progress: Turned out that was a fake out, they brought him back in Old Man Logan Annual 1. ...Where they killed him again.

But y'know, it's not like there's rules to this stuff.

#446 Posted by Amendment50 (15427 posts) - - Show Bio

@amendment50 said:

@life_without_progress: Turned out that was a fake out, they brought him back in Old Man Logan Annual 1. ...Where they killed him again.

But y'know, it's not like there's rules to this stuff.

Side note, they also apparently retconned away Matt's death with the same stroke so they could also do an Old Man Daredevil were they so inclined.

#447 Posted by Life_Without_Progress (24261 posts) - - Show Bio

@amendment50: ... I honestly don't know how they could fake out being eaten by dinosaurs in public while being chained down.

#448 Posted by Amendment50 (15427 posts) - - Show Bio
#449 Posted by Life_Without_Progress (24261 posts) - - Show Bio

@amendment50: Well, that just lessened the atmospheric impact of Old Man Logan for me.

#450 Posted by Amendment50 (15427 posts) - - Show Bio

@life_without_progress: Well if it makes you feel any better, the retcon is obviously not Millar's work and it happened a decade later so it obviously was not intended that way in the context of the original story.