#351 Posted by WollfMyth209 (16523 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice read.

#352 Posted by the_red_viper (12620 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: just read it. It was really nice.

#353 Posted by Cull_Obsidian (3868 posts) - - Show Bio

@emperorthanos-: hey I'm currently participating in a Thanos vs Jiren CAV does it have to be finished to be included?

If not then could it be included on the next issue?

#354 Posted by emperorthanos- (16391 posts) - - Show Bio

@cull_obsidian: I think I already featured when you first started it. But we can show it again when it is open for votes.

#355 Posted by k4tzm4n (41737 posts) - - Show Bio
#356 Posted by Cull_Obsidian (3868 posts) - - Show Bio

@emperorthanos-: ah OK couldn't remember if it was, yeah I'll let you know when it's ready for votes

#357 Posted by k4tzm4n (41737 posts) - - Show Bio

@owie said:

Awesome to have a link to K4tz's blog--and great for him to get an interview with Sorrentino, he's fantastic.

Also, thanks for featuring our CAV.

Yeah, Sorrentino's great. Thanks for reading it.

#358 Edited by Lvenger (36338 posts) - - Show Bio

Excellent issue, the detail and content provided was top quality. So many threads to read and K4tz's passionate Kraven rundown reminded me of why his staff articles were always an entertaining read. Just to let you guys know that there's no hyperlink for ET's IDW Thor respect thread though.

#359 Edited by emperorthanos- (16391 posts) - - Show Bio

Issue #65

No Caption Provided

Comic News

Supergirl movie reportedly in development

While we already have Supergirl on the small screen in the CW, we might be getting her on the big screen sometime soon. According to rumers, Oren Uziel (22 Jump Street, The Cloverfield paradox) is at work on a script for the possible film.

DC Birds of Prey movie villain revealed

While it isn't coming out until early 2019, we already know who the team of heroines will be facing in the upcoming film. While there won't be any spoilers here, you can click the link to find out just who it is, and it should be interesting, as we've never seen them on the small screen or even the big screen before now. Also in the article are some possible plot points as well.

CW's Batwoman cast

We know who will be playing Kate Kane in the CW. Actress/model Ruby Rose will be playing the military woman turned vigilante and will debut this December in the annual crossover. We also have confirmation that she will star in her own pilot after the crossover. Rose is known for her roles in shows such as Orange Is The New Black as well as John Wick: Chapter 2.

provided and written by BlackestNight93/@vertigo-

======================================================================================================

Battle threads of the Week

Wolverine runs the durability gauntlet

Wolverine is one of those broken characters. He has stats of peak human+/low superhuman and is considered by most people, even hardcore Wolverine fans to be a street leveler. Yet he has one of the strongest healing factors in history of comics, top tier pain tolerance and his entire skeleton is composed of strongest metal in the Marvel Universe who can't be broken even by strongest powerhouses out there. Yet despite all that he constantly fights evenly with street tier characters, but sometimes he goes up against powerhouses and not only does he give them a huge run for their money, but he was actually capable of tanking their blows. This thread is a test to Logan's consistent endurance and healing abilities and it can give us an idea of how consistent and inconsistent Logan actually is and who is the weakest character who can one-shot him. This gauntlet goes from low mid tier to higher end powerhouse tier. There are two rounds. One is Morals On and the other is Morals Off. He will have to tank 3 punches until he gets to Supergirl, and later he will have to tank 2.

Naruto and Sasuke clash gauntlet!

This is another gauntlet thread which was ironically posted by the same user who posted the gauntlet I added above. This one is the test of damage output tho. The clash between Six Paths Naruto's and Rinnegan Sasuke's Duo Rasenshuriken and Indra's Arrow (OP said their strongest attacks). Each character on this gauntlet will have to tank one attack directly into their chest and the other directly into their back. Both are bloodlusted and the characters can't block or defend, at least not during the first round. The next round allows them to defend themselves, and the third round adds Toneri's Golden Wheel. The gauntlet is composed of 25 characters (although technically it is made more like a test for all of their durability instead of damage output feat for Shinobi Duo).

The Last Naruto vs. Gladiator

Another Naruto thread here, this time with Naruto from The Last movie. In between Shippuden and Boruto series. Here he faces probably one of more controversial characters on this site, Gladiator. People will either love him or make fun of him. They will either consider him to be stronger than Superman or weaker than Iron Man. So if you can find the middle ground, this will probably be an interesting battle for you to check out. Naruto has a bunch of versatile moves and Gladiator is mostly a guy with Superman's powers. This thread was created 10 days ago and is already around 100 posts long. There are two bonus battles. The first one adds Sasuke to help Naruto and the other one is with Boruto era Naruto and Sasuke vs. Gladiator team-ed up with Hyperion.

written by @krleavenger

=========================================================================================

Battle of the Week: Shazam vs. Hercules

No Caption Provided

This battle of the week is only halfway towards it's closure, and it's already 200 posts long (or more, depending on when this gets posted). Shouldn't be a surprise when you have DC vs. Marvel Powerhouse battle as your match-up. And here we can Billy Batson, Shazam (originally known as Captain Marvel) versus Hercules. Ironic thing about this fight is that both are rivals to way more popular characters who's fight is arguably one of top 5 most controversial and heated ones on this site, that being Superman vs. Thor. What's interesting tho is that Billy does not use his speed as effectively as Clark does (usually) while Hercules does not suffer from "Slowdinson" syndrome. So if you think Superman vs. Thor fight is one-sided, this is definitely the one to check out. If you don't, well, it's not like these characters don't have feats outside of just scaling with the other two.

If you want to recommend a certain match-up for next Battle of the Week you would like to see, leave a comment on this thread:

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/battles-7/battle-of-the-weekbest-battles-suggestion-thread-1767994/?page=1#js-message-16233438

If you want to read some older Battles of the Week, check out @wyldsong's BOTW tracker thread:

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/battles-7/battle-of-the-week-tracker-1924312/#68

written by @krleavenger

======================================================================================================

CaVs the Week

Deathstroke vs Taskmaster

A marvel vs DC street level CaV. With Deathstroke represented by @lanternbatman takes on Taskmaster represented by @thedailybagel. Two deadly mercenaries that are both very skilled and have a good variety of gear at their disposal. These two characters have been pitted against each other on numerous occasions including in a BOTW. This is a chance to see another take on the battle as this is a fight than go in variety of ways.

Black Panther vs Proxima Midnight

An all MCU CaV between @gearsecond659 and @anthp2000. With the former representing Black Panther and the latter representing Proxima midnight. These characters both appeared in infinity war but didn't end up facing off during the movie, this cav gives us a chance to see what might have happened if these two had ended up clashing. Proxima proved to be quite the challenge to the avengers so T'challa has his work cut out for him.

Zoro vs Genos

@gearsecond659 is in his second CaV this week, using Zoro this time. He goes up against @vsw who is using Genos. Zoro recently returned to the center of the one piece manga after being absent for over 2 years. With him set to play a fairly big role in the much anticipated Wano Arc, this is cav is a good opportunity to you remind yourself on what Zoro is capable of. He comes up against a fairly tough opponent in the form of Genos.

MCU Luke Cage VS MCU Winter Soldier

Another all MCU CaV this time featuring MCU Luke Cage who is taking on MCU Winter Soldier. The former is being debated by @creolecuddy and the latter by @mexcomics2078. MCU Luke Cage has been pitted against the big screen Super Soilders on several occasions with people still undecided on where he stands. He has gotten a bunch of new feats thanks to his newest show while Bucky has gotten a brand new arm, so this might be a interesting fight.

provided and written by @emperorthanos-

Humans Of The Battle Forums: @noone1996

I'm really sort of a private person. I don't really like sharing that much real life information about myself over the internet, so I had that in mind when I took the time to think of a username on Comic Vine. "Noone" seemed as anonymous as one could get, but I admittedly acquired inspiration from this name via Naruto: Shippuden. The avatar that I have is Obito as the mysterious "Masked Man" who told everyone that he was Madara Uchiha and there is a point in the series where it is revealed that he was lying about who he really is the whole time. When he is called out and confronted about his identity and who he really is, he just tells them that he's "no one" and that his identity really doesn't matter. So I thought that'd be a good username for my profile. The numbers are my PIN number.

When I was younger I was always into Pokemon and I guess that evolved as I saw more anime. I was also a really big fan of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z. Eventually I grew bored with those shows/video games and then I stumbled across Naruto which became my new favorite. I was always a bigger anime/manga fan than any other Western ones, but that changed when I saw The Avengers in theaters for the first time in 2012. I really enjoyed this movie and I remember thinking it was so cool and unique to see all these interesting characters from different movies interacting with one another. I especially enjoyed seeing how Robert Downey Jr's Tony Stark fit in with the rest of the group. He was my favorite MCU Avenger and I tried to learn as much as I could about him. Since, at the time, there had only been basically three movies with MCU Iron Man I inevitably ran out of source material, so I started to slowly delve into comics. Through the battle forums, I quickly learned that 616 Iron Man was way cooler and more powerful than MCU Iron Man was and I would constantly look up battles with 616 Tony and other popular characters to learn more and more. Since comic books have been out for such a long time and there are so many, I had WAY more resources to pull from involving Iron Man or the Avengers compared to the movies. Eventually I created an account to involve myself in the battle forums and I learned more and more about comic book characters which piqued my interest even more than before. I think that the battle forums are a lot of fun because people always like to compare the power levels or fighting styles of fictional characters (or even real life people) when they are talking with their friends, but they don't really usually have an official outlet to have an in depth or detailed discussion about it. Comic Vine's Battle forum gives you that opportunity to physically see GIFS, videos, or pictures of a character doing something cool and comparing feats/showings to prove who wins. 90% of the time nobody changes their mind, but it's still fun making the argument and posting the evidence.

This may come as a surprise to many who read this, but Iron Man is my all-time favorite fictional character. I tend to side with Marvel comics more than anything and if I had to choose writers I would probably say Charles and Daniel Knauf are my favorites due to their unique and interesting run of Invincible Iron Man issues 7-18 and 21-28 which took place right after Warren Ellis and Adi Granov's Extremis Iron Man storyline. The Extremis virus completely transformed Tony Stark into a new character and he essentially became superhuman who was biologically connected to his armor. The Knauf writers explored his new power upgrade in a very interesting way because of the psychological effects that the change had on him and how he dealt with it. They also did a very good job at illustrating how powerful he had become due to the Extremis virus. I'd recommend reading all of these books because they are very entertaining.

I'd like to think that I'm WAY more objective and considerate of feats than I used to be when I first started debating on this website. I used to legitimately think that Iron Man could defeat high tiers like Hulk, Thor, Juggernaut, etc., but I think I can partially blame that on ignorance too since I didn't really know what those characters were truly capable of either. Not only have I learned more since then, but I believe that I've also gotten a lot better at debating and analyzing comic book feats and showings.

I'm the Iron Man guy. If people ever have a question about Iron Man or Tony Stark, I'm usually the one that gets asked about it. If they need a scan or they want to see me debate in a thread with Iron Man, I'm usually contacted or tagged. I'm pretty proud of that and I think that people generally respect Iron Man a lot more than they did before I got here. I cannot tell you how many threads there used to be on this site where people legitimately argued that street levelers like Captain America, Spider-Man, the Winter Soldier, etc. could beat Tony or put up a good fight. I think that most people can agree that Iron Man is a high end mid tier.

The only advice that I'd give for debaters is prove your claims and have patience. Especially for Storm fans.

provided and written by @life_without_progress

Respect thread of the week: MCU Erik "Killmonger" Stevens (written by @thevivas)

This week's respect thread is written by @thevivas and it's pretty good. It lays out a great foundation on Killmongers background through interviews and quotes from the movie, as well as his physicals abilities such as strength, skill as well as gear. And even gets into his abilities granted by the consumption of the heart shaped herb. Great quality, plenty of examples. I recommend people to give it a read.

Character of the week: Ben Grimm a.k.a The Thing. (written by @warlockmage)

No Caption Provided

Why is Ben my favorite

Fantastic Four volume one is the first comic book I ever read as a kid and I remember it was Fantastic Four #11 that my grandfather owned. I loved the strong guy and his attitude and that stayed with me for a long time. Ben always connected with me whenever i read him, make no mistake though the entire Fantastic Four is great.

Creation

Created, along with the rest of the Fantastic Four, in 1961 Fantastic Four #1 Ben Grimm became the thing when a rocket, built by Reed Richards, was exposed to cosmic rays. These rays had a unique effect on each member in the rocket, but it is fair to say Ben's was the most life changing. Ben transformed into an Orange rock-like creature with enhanced strength and durability

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3
Fantastic Four #1

Understandably Ben was not completely enthusiastic about his transformation into a monster. Nonetheless Ben agreed to use his powers for the benefit of mankind along with the rest of the Fantastic Four. Ben was still seen as a monster by the unknowing public until he came across his first major love interest; Alicia Masters

Alicia is Ben's on again off again love interest and the first character to see Ben for the noble creature he is. After saving Alicia from her horrible father the Puppet Master, Ben and Alicia were found spending allot of time together. Eventually they formed a relationship. I like to think that relationship changed Ben into the man he is today.

Claim to Fame

Ben is the rock of his family, the strong man who is unchanging and there to take the hits no one else in his family can. Back in the 60's there were only 2 beings who could stand up to the Hulk: Thor and The Thing. Ben became famous for his fights with the Hulk that are referenced in many marvel comics even today.

Fantastic Four #25

Historically Ben has been on the losing end of his confrontations with the Hulk, regardless Ben is never one to shy away from a fight. Ben's stubbornness and never give up attitude have always been what makes Ben a hero. Even when faced with the impossible task of fighting the Champion Ben never gave up.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2
Marvel Two in One Annual 7

A Cure for Ben's Condition?

Over time there have been many attempts to cure Ben, some have lasted for a while others only seconds. There was even a brief period of time where Ben could consciously switch between his rock form and human form, alas psychological blocks in Ben's head kept this from becoming a permanent thing. The best and longest lasting cure for Ben came from Valeria Richards and the Future Foundation.

Fantastic Four #580
Fantastic Four #580

Ben can't control it and he doesn't know when it will happen, but for one week out of every year Ben gets to be normal again. I think we all agree Ben deserves that much at least.

Uncited (sorry)
Uncited (sorry)

Ben got to see the rise and fall of many generations of heroes well after the ones we all know and loved moved on. In his rock form he is, essentially, immune to aging. The cure Valeria gave him changed in more ways than one.

What is Ben up too now?

Without giving too much away with current events, because I don't want to spoil it, Ben is currently searching the multiverse for Reed and Susan. After the events of Secret Wars; Reed and Susan both went off and left Johnny and Ben behind. Most of the world considers them dead, so why are Ben and Johnny searching? read Marvel Two in One Volume 2 to find out

Marvel Two in One #1
Marvel Two in One #1

Always Remember

The thing Ben cherishes the most, the one thing he cannot live without, is his family. Those who have sought to harm or destroy the Fantastic Four have often heard the words "It's Clobbering Time" and have been less than excited about the fist that followed those words.

Fantastic Four Volume 3 #1
Fantastic Four Volume 3 #1

Recommended Reading

Fantastic Four Volume 1 by Stan Lee and many other writers

Fantastic Four Volume 3 by Scott Lobdell and Chris Claremont

FF Volume 1 by Jonathan Hickman

Marvel Two In One by Steve Gerber

The Thing by John Byrne

Why a Kraven the Hunter Movie Makes Sense, Even Without Spider-Manby @k4tzm4n

No Caption Provided

One of the things comic book fans wanted to see more than anything is for Spider-man to join the Marvel Cinematic Universe. About 3 and a half years ago we accomplished just that, and in years to come, everybody's favorite superhero appeared in 3 movies over the course of 3 years. That's one movie per past couple of years, which is way beyond anything we've seen so far. However, long before even comic movies were even a thing, Sony wanted to work on a Venom movie, but the project was turned down, until Webb took over with Amazing Spider-man franchise, which Sony saw as an opportunity to expand the Spider-man Universe with not only Spider-man movies, but multiple spin offs, by giving solo movies to the likes of Sinister Six, Black Cat, Silver Sable and Venom. With another reboot and Spider-man joining the MCU, most of us believed those ideas are thing of the past.

However, despite the success of MCU's Spider-man, Sony decided they will still make their own Spider-man related movies without Spider-man himself, and you might as well rip your hair out before deciding whether those are part of the MCU or not. This is evident by the fact that the standalone Venom movie is set to come out in October 5 this year. Sony still has plans for Silver Sable and Black Cat movie although those were never announced. Despite the controversy of idea, a lot of people are ready to give Venom the benefit of doubt, especially because the character did have a handful of standalone stories in 90s and early 2000s without Spider-man being involved, and the fact that the character of Eddie Brock was actually an Anti-Hero at some point and not just a strait up bad guy. However, the fans really started to scream about a week ago, when Kraven the Hunter solo movie was announced.

It's clear Sony wants to make their own Universe with Spider-man related characters yet without Spider-man himself. While Venom was able to go beyond just another Spider-man bad guy, Kraven ironically couldn't. While he did fight against other super heroes, the guy literally killed himself for not being able to beat Spider-man in classic and extremely popular arc called Kraven's Last Hunt, something a lot of fans wanted to see on the big screen. So the idea of a Kraven solo movie without Spider-man is way more controversial and kinda unacceptable by comic fans than the Venom movie. With all that being said, @k4tzm4n, who is one of, if not the greatest Kraven the Hunter fan on this site, actually believes that this movie can work without Spider-man. If you want to hear his thoughts on this or maybe give this movie a benefit of doubt yourself, click the link in the title above.

Maybe sign in and leave a comment. You know, support his hard work? Because if you don't, why is he doing this?

written by @krleavenger

Credits

#360 Posted by k4tzm4n (41737 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe sign in and leave a comment. You know, support his hard work? Because if you don't, why is he doing this?

Ha, thank you so much for including that.

#361 Posted by Kevd4wg (12750 posts) - - Show Bio

Great issue, Warlock's write up on Ben was fantastic.

#362 Posted by Warlockmage (9219 posts) - - Show Bio

@kevd4wg said:

thanks that means allot

#363 Posted by Kevd4wg (12750 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for deactivated-5b6e1b2130fed
#364 Edited by deactivated-5b6e1b2130fed (1311 posts) - - Show Bio

Great issue!

#365 Posted by k4tzm4n (41737 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for deactivated-5bf470b432518
#366 Posted by deactivated-5bf470b432518 (5801 posts) - - Show Bio
#367 Posted by Battle123axe (8981 posts) - - Show Bio

@kevd4wg said:

#368 Posted by Lvenger (36338 posts) - - Show Bio

Having just finished my current CAV with The Thing, @warlockmage's write up on Ben was well written and well summarised. Great issue all round.

#369 Posted by emperorthanos- (16391 posts) - - Show Bio

Issue #66

No Caption Provided

Comic News

Possible Silk movie in development

Pressing forward with their plans around a cinematic universe, Sony has plans for an upcoming movie starring Cindy Moon, a.k.a Silk. Granted, these are only rumors, but adding another Spider-related character could make for some interesting discussion

New plans for Silver Sable and Black Cat

While the upcoming film starring both characters has been scrapped, Sony has reportedly decided to have both helm solo films, with Black Cat possibly getting hers first. Columbia pictures president, Sanford Panitch believes that Felicia has enough material and character development to justify her getting her own solo film. Nothing yet on the possible Silver Sable film.

Punisher season 2 has wrapped filming.

For those of you eager for more Netflix Punisher, production has officially wrapped as of August 12. While we have no word on the plot or antagonist for this season, we do know that the season is expected to release sometime in 2019, and that season 2 should be really good, if Marvel Entertainment COO Joe Quesada is to be believed (see his quote in the linked article).

New Segment II: Reviews

No Caption Provided

Two weeks ago, the Daily Debater included new segment. Providing links and introduction to best blogs and written topics provided by one of the finest members of this community. In order to provide even more content, we decided to include yet another segment, and thus, comic reviews will be introduced in future issues of the Daily Debater. We may review a movie, TV show or cartoon episode here and there, but this will mostly be focused on comics (single issues, events, crossovers, trade paperbacks, stories, mini-series, graphic novels...).Some reviews will be spoiler free, and some would contain spoilers, so watch out for that. Warning will be provided every time before you get into reading the review itself, so don't worry about being spoiled. Review request is something we consider as well, so feel free to ask for any comic/movie to be reviewed and it may be included eventually.

That being said, enjoy reading the very first Daily Debater comic book review, written by @krleavenger.

Doctor Strange & Doctor Doom: Triumph & Torment #1 - Spoiler Free!

No Caption Provided

Introduction:

In July 1989, during the time period when Tom DeFalco was Marvel's Editor in Chief, writer Roger Stern, artist Mike Mignola and colourist Mark Badger, worked on this Marvel Graphic Novel titled "Triumph and Torment", with Doctor Strange and Doctor Doombeing the main characters. Marvel Graphic Novels were a series of over-sized trade paperbacks with magazine format, an attempt at emulating European-style graphic novels rising in popularity at the time. The first Marvel Graphic Novel, "The Death of Captain Marvel" was published in April 1982, with the last one (75th), titled "Abattoir" (with Daredevil and Black Widow as the main stars) being published in July 1993, with the entire concept falling to the wayside due to different time period, when prestige format was preferable. While most of them were pretty obscured and forgotten by the comic fans, the only thing these paperbacks had in common with one another is the format and "Marvel Graphic Novel" imprint. None of them had any connection to the other when it comes to continuity, and didn't serve as a sequel, prequel or tie-in to the other. Most of these stories were also stand alone compared to regular Marvel comics, and didn't serve as continuation or retcon to any other story, and were mostly considered standalone, making them incredibly easy to get into.

The first 20 paperbacks of this imprint and style had numbering on them to include what novel they are in order establish what novels proceeded it and when has it been released compared to the others. This trope was abandoned later, with all the titles only containing names of story's leads/characters as the first part of the title, and the name of the story as the second; ergo: "The Amazing Spider-man: Parallel Lives" (46th paperback) for example. Aside from mostly being their own standalone stories, without affecting or being affected by the continuity, some of them served to introduce new characters while the title still belonged to popular leading roles like the Punisher or Silver Surfer, or even including new characters without trace of classic Marvel altogether. The tone of the stories and art was mostly dedicated to adults/older readers due to vibe, art style and story structure, often focusing on hard topics like coping with either inevitable death or the actual death of a character, who, unlike a trope we are aware of in comics, don't come back. While those characters mostly don't fall into the category of classic Marvel characters, the story structure makes you connected to these characters regardless of their unimportance to the whole Marvel Universe and makes their death relevant and impactful, although that is more of a subjective thing.

With all that being said, "Triumph and Torment" is 78-page long graphic novel that also contains the pages taken from Astonishing Tales #8, Marvel Fanfare #16 & Marvel Fanfare #43 issues, included after the very end of the story. With it being Marvel's 49th graphic novel, and the second graphic novel with Doctor Strange and Doctor Doom being the leading roles (first one being Marvel Graphic Novel #23: Doctor Strange - "Into Shamballa", and Marvel Graphic Novel #27 - "Emperor Doom"), it was actually planned to be released by Roger Stern ever since 1982, when they started with graphic novels, and was suppose to bring two of the most iconic Marvel Doctors together. The release was delayed due to current (at the time) ongoing events that were happening in Marvel at the time, which is why it was released in 1989.

==============================================================================================

Before I begin talking about the actual story, I just want to say that some things I will mention here are similar to things Roger Stern, the writer of this story, said himself (his statements, which do not reveal any spoilers by the way, at least the ones I will include). The reason why my views of this comic are pretty similar to his is, either because it was written so well that it was obvious, or that I was just able to understand him perfectly. The reason why I'm bringing this up is to assure you that this review is not just quoting the writer, as the following were my actual thoughts on this graphic novel before I even read Stern's own description of it. You might take that with grain of salt but that is what it is.

===============================================================================================

Summary

I would love to get into details first but in this case, I think I should bring up the most important part first. One of the reasons why I really liked this paperback and why I decided to include it as the first thing we were going to include in this segment is because, no matter how much you like or don't care about Doctor Strange and Doctor Doom... No matter how disinterested you are in their comics... No matter how little knowledge and information you have on these characters, I still believe that you will enjoy this book. And it's probably not smart for me to say this because if you are reading the paperback because of this review and you end up not liking it, then it's my fault. But I personally believe you will enjoy it. Why? Because you don't have to be informed or know a lot about these characters for them to be interesting or relatable to you.

Not only does the tone of the story make the characters look relevant and be someone you should be interested in without it being forced, but everything you need to known about these characters is brought up in the story. And it's not brought up as a one-off statement for either of them, but it does not drag on with it. It seems perfectly natural and not boring like classic comics tend to be, or not interesting enough like modern comics tend to be. The more you read, the more interested you are, and the longer you keep going, the more you get invested. While the writer of the story expected this to be just a Doctor Strange graphic novel, this is Doom's story more than anything, and I have to agree with that. It's not like Doctor Strange is left as a side character who's there just because they wanted another doctor in the house, but this is the story of Doctor Doom more than anything.

Take it this way; if you are a fan of Doctor Strange, you will find it pretty entertaining and enjoyable. However, if you are a Doctor Doom fan, this is a must read. You can't ignore this graphic novel if you are interested in Doctor Doom's character. It's possibly the best Doctor Doom story, and ironically, he is not introduced in other comics as often as he is here, and that's a good thing in this case. Every character plays his role perfectly in my opinion. Nobody is there just to make the story shorter or make an excuse due to some plot hole. Everything feels natural here. The dialogue may be tiresome to those who prefer fast pace stories, but if that is the case, this novel is not for you. It is there to take it's time. There are few panels with no speech bubbles for characters and us readers to pause and absorb the moment. And again, it does not feel dragged on IMO, although some could lose interest.

There are a lot of explanations and flashbacks in these issues but none of them seem like explaining exposition type of moments. I think one of the things I also really liked is the art style and colors being used (if you read more modern version). It doesn't feel like any other comic from any other title you can find. The shadows, the colors and visuals are incredibly unique in my opinion and fit the narrative really really well. It's not as complex and crazy and classic Doctor Strange comics, but I think that's ok given the fact that this is more of a Doctor Doom story than Doctor Strange story. For those who are concerned about battle forum and representation of characters in that regard, I don't think there were any instances of PIS, CIS or WIS or characters just being nerfed or wasted. All the characters are introduced the way they should be in comparison to other characters.

The biggest problem I could find (which is 100% nitpicking and it doesn't bother me at all) is that, while some feats in this comic were good and usable, there wasn't a lot of incredible display of raw power from either Strange or Doom. That could bother some people, but I personally don't care about feats when I read comics (unless it's something absurd like Spider-man one-shotting Thanos) so that's not a problem for me. Back to the topic, I don't think anyone acted out of character. I think everyone was written without WIS and was perfectly in character, especially given the circumstances. The entire second half of the story is incredibly emotional and I think you will find yourselves both incredibly satisfied and kinda sad at the same time with the ending (not "sad" is sense that comic will make you feel sad, but in sense that you will feel sorry for the character but still satisfied with the story).

=================================================================================================

To summarize, this is a must read for Doctor Doom fans. For Doctor Strange fans and even none Doom/Strange fans, it's incredibly engaging read with original and well fleshed/thought out story with incredible understand of both characters, something we don't see very often these days, incredibly emotional yet natural and non forced moments, unique formatting and art style and good example of why these characters are who they are. I can certainly say that this is the one I can recommend to anyone.

====================================================================================================

Writer's statements and thoughts (spoiler free):

written by @krleavenger

CaVs the Week

Battle threads of the week

Black Canary vs. Elekra

These two are probably the most popular comic book female street level heroes. Green Arrow's girlfriend versus Daredevil's girlfriend (which is a little bit ironic given the fact Green Arrow vs. Daredevil used to be a pretty popular match-up pretty recently). Both are considered to be incredibly smart, and while Dinah has an ability capable of one-shotting most street levelers, she mostly never uses it against other street levelers so that's probably not a factor. However, is she skilled, strong or fast enough to deal with someone like Elektra? While this thread was posted 2-3 days ago and still didn't reach it's second page, some users actually started arguing on this thread already.

Supergirl vs. Apocalypse

Apocalypse is a pretty controversial character on this site power wise. Either he is Thanos level or he is Thing level. Nobody can decide how strong this guy is. When it comes to Supergirl, most people agree she is above all mid tiers, but would lose to most high tiers. So she seems like a good character to be put against Apocalypse if you want to find out how powerful he is. At least on paper. Some may still say Apocalypse gets stomped. Some may say he stomps Supergirl. Regardless, you might find some arguments worth reading here, or you can provide some yourself.

FOX Deadpool vs. Movie Blade

You all know Ryan Reynolds. He appeared in X-Men Origins Wolverine which was his first super hero movie. He played Deadpool and everyone thinks it's still the worst comic book live action adaptation in history. Then he appeared in Green Lantern as the main character, Hal Jordan, and we all know how that ended. Then he appeared in a Deadpool movie, the first Rated R comic book super hero movie and it was extremely popular. It even had a sequel which came out this year. BUT WAIT! No, Deadpool is not the first rated R super hero movie. In fact, during the time when comic book movies were laughing stocks and all of them could be called attempts, there was one movie that was not only pretty well received and good at the time, but it is completely overlooked, as it actually was rated R super hero movie like a decade before the MCU was a thing. Blade. And it makes sense because Blade is probably the most overlooked comic character himself. And no, Adventures of Barakapool wasn't the first super hero movie Ryan Reynolds appeared in. It was actually the final movie of this overlooked trilogy, Blade Trinity. Yeah, this intro probably makes this match up all that more interesting, right? Right...?

Naruto Uzumaki vs. Madara Uchiha

Naruto Uzumaki, the main character from one of the most popular Shonen Manga of all time, ending just recently after like 14 years, and it had it's own Anime and movies (and video games). He was an underdog but now he is one of the most powerful characters in the series. Madara is the main villain of the series (yes, he is, Kaguya and Black Zetsu were just asspulls) and he was the second most powerful character in the series for the majority of it. Then he reached even greater heights by obtaining the most powerful Chakra and the very source of Chakra, arguably surpassing Sage of Six Paths himself. Naruto on the other hand obtained Six Paths chakra from Hagaromo himself, and pretty much wrecked Madara. Then Madara obtained the power of God Tree and fought both Naruto and Sasuke, although it's still debatable on who would have won. Then Madara obtained his other Rinnegan eye and Rinne Sharingan. Unfortunately they never had an actual fight when Madara reached his full power. Naruto became way more powerful since then tho, by becoming older. he also defeated Toneri without Six Paths power and he obtained an entire arm made of Hashirama's cells. So, who would win when both are at their prime? Adult Naruto, or Rinne Sharingan Madara?

Battle of the Week: Spider-man vs Gorgon

No Caption Provided

One of more controversial things Comic Vine community still talks about is, on what level does Spider-man operate on? Is he a higher end street tier, or low end mid tier? While overall tier system may be extremely flawed and mostly subjective, this is one thing people still have a hard time agreeing on. However, there is one street leveler who people consider to be a match for Spider-man (at least they used to, until he started jobbing like CW Flash which will be addressed in this thread). That being an extremely skilled swordsman Tomi Shishido, or Gorgon. A Wolverine villain and main antagonist of infamous Enemy of the States arc. Gorgon is pretty powerful for a street leveler. He is not only extremely skilled, but he possesses mutant abilities which not only make him a superhuman with pretty impressive stats and healing factor, but he also has powers of Medusa. Anyone who makes an eye contact with him, turns into a statue. And he is also good enough to beat the shit out of Wolverine, a pretty high end street leveler himself who a lot of people consider to be a match for Peter. But Spider-man needs no introduction so you better just click the link above.

If you want to recommend a certain match-up for next Battle of the Week you would like to see, leave a comment on this thread:

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/battles-7/battle-of-the-weekbest-battles-suggestion-thread-1767994/?page=1#js-message-16233438

If you want to read some older Battles of the Week, check out @wyldsong's BOTW tracker thread:

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/battles-7/battle-of-the-week-tracker-1924312/#68

written by @krleavenger

Respect Thread of the week: MCU Black Order (written by @anthp2000)

This thread if on the Black Order presented in the MCU. It's a real undertaking as it's not only on 1 character, but 4 and it does a decent job showcasing all of them. The thread makes things neat by using spoiler blocks when needed, and GIF's are on point as well. All around solid job by ANTHP and everyone should check it out

Credits

#370 Posted by ANTHP2000 (26962 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn it, I need to add more feats and quality gifs on that RT.

My computer sucks atm.

#371 Posted by Kevd4wg (12750 posts) - - Show Bio

Great issue, Triumph and Torment is fantastic

Avatar image for deactivated-5c443c2a6994d
#372 Posted by deactivated-5c443c2a6994d (494 posts) - - Show Bio

Excellent issue!

#373 Posted by Battle123axe (8981 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for justsomerandomkid
#374 Posted by JustSomeRandomKid (5153 posts) - - Show Bio

No CaVs?

#375 Posted by Hope_w (2834 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly some of those tourney matchups should be under the CaV portion some of the matches damn near look like the allstar game.

#376 Posted by k4tzm4n (41737 posts) - - Show Bio

Good stuff.

#377 Posted by Lvenger (36338 posts) - - Show Bio

Early for a Silk movie IMO. Very nice issue.

#378 Posted by Owie (7175 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice review of the Strange/Doom graphic novel, that's a great one. My other favorite from that series is Emperor Doom, another classic Doom story.

#379 Edited by emperorthanos- (16391 posts) - - Show Bio

Issue #67

No Caption Provided

Comic News

New Outsiders series

DC has announced a new Batman & The Outsiders series to be written by Bryan Hill and drawn by Dexter Soy. Set to spin out of Hill's run on Detective Comics, the lineup is set to star Black Lightning, Signal, Orphan and Katana.

New Suicide Squad team to come in November

According to DC's solicits for November, Amanda Waller is set to put together a new Suicide Squad, only this one will be more supernatural based. We already have some idea as to who will be involved in the team. Names such as Gentleman Ghost, Enchantres and El Diablo will be involved in this new type of Task Force X. Further details can be found in the link.

New Defenders lineup teased

Marvel is set to reunite the team known as The Defenders. While some may be familiar with the Netflix series and comic series which featured names like Daredevil and Luke Cage, this lineup is set to reunite the original team of Silver Surfer, Hulk, Namor and Doctor Strange. Hints point toward the series launching sometime around December. Further details involving each member is also linked in the article, although there are potential spoiler issues for Immortal Hulk, as well as the ongoing Avengers title, so consider yourself warned.

Naruto Uzumaki vs. Madara Uchiha

After Naruto obtained the power of Six Paths, he dealt with Madara pretty easily. Then Madara absorbed the God Tree and became way more powerful. Afterwards, we didn't have a chance to see who is actually superior because Sasuke fought against Madara alongside Naruto and not a lot of stuff happened aside from them getting the best of Madara with their new abilities. The fight stopped, Madara obtained his other Rinnegan, becoming way more powerful yet again but then he activated the Infinite Tsykuyomi and Zetsu turned him into Kaguya. So we don't really know what would have happened if they actually fought Madara at full power, even less if Naruto alone fought him. That makes this thread way more interesting because we are not provided with a clear cut proof of who would win. This is also Adult Hokage Naruto and according to the OP, he does not have to seal Madara here. He can just KO him or kill him with his attacks.

Naruto and Sasuke vs. New 52 Superman

Another Naruto thread, this time with Naruto teaming up with his best friend and teammate Sasuke. Two of the most powerful Ninja who ever lived, against... the strongest hero out there (in theory), the Man of Steel himself. From New 52 DC Reboot. The one who's inferior to Superman most of us grew up with in every category aside from pure lifting strength and maybe willingness to blitz. There are a lot of Naruto vs. Superman threads that have been debated to death and a lot of people actually believe Naruto can solo. But some also think Superman would absolutely demolish Naruto. Whatever you think, this is the currently active thread of the week, and since Sasuke brings hax to the table, maybe it can make a difference. Or it is a stomp now that he is here or Superman still wrecks them both. I don't know. It's not under me to judge here.

Saitama vs. Supergirl

A thread with another Manga character and another DC Superman-esque character and yet it is neither Naruto or Superman, but Saitama the One Punch Man and Supergirl, Superman's cousin. Now I am not a guy who follows Saitama threads so I don't know about history of debates that support him, even less him against Superman. However, based on my very limited experience, most people agree that Superman would win. And while that's pretty irrelevant to arguments themselves, it makes you ask yourself, can he beat weaker version of Superman then, like Supergirl? Some people do say she is faster than Superman, but I think we all can agree she is weaker and not as smart. So maybe this is a better match for Saitama. Or maybe she will just one-shot her.

Death Seed Sentry vs. Kuurth (Juggernaut)

I'm breaking rules here because, 1) this thread was posted 3 days ago, and 2) it barely has any posts, even less more than a single page. However, I do think this thread has a potential for more arguments. Death Seed Sentry actually uses his speed against his opponents unlike regular Sentry and he constantly heals, uses Matter Manipulation in fights and was able to absolutely humiliate Thor. Basically Sentry who actually has feats to support all the hype. And there is also Kuurth, who is pretty much Juggernaut at full power amped by Cul even further. He also lives up to the hype of being unstable, unlike regular Juggernaut who tends to job sometimes. So, who would win? Fast powerhouse who can heal from anything, or unstoppable powerhouse who is pretty much invulnerable?

MCU Hulk runs the Marvel Comics gauntlet

This thread was posted a month and two weeks ago, but it was bumped recently. It is not that long, barely breaking the two page mark, but I think it is worth checking out. Last comment was posted 2 days ago so I'm not breaking my rule twice here. Some of you may say this is a mismatch of a gauntlet and that I shouldn't be posting this, but fights like this, as absurd as they look like on paper, are actually seen quite often on the battle forum these days so you should check it out regardless.

Written by @krleavenger

Battle of the Week: The Thing (616) vs. Superman (DCEU)

No Caption Provided

A requested match-up posted by our own member of the crew EmperorThanos, Ben Grimm from Earth-616 vs. Henry Cavill's Man of Steel is a Battle of the Week that received a lot of intention both voting wise and post/argument wise. Comic vs. Live Action, or to be more precise, Earth-616 vs. MCU/DCEU threads have been extremely popular these past few days, and one of everybody's favorites are Marvel Mid Tiers versus Snyder's Superman. Most people regard the Thing are either average or top tier mid tier (depending on how you view the entire power tier system overall), and with lack of interest on other BOTW match-ups recently posted, the segment moved on to this kind of match-up. And it didn't disappoint, having more arguments than some of the more recent Battles of the Week put together. That by itself should be enough to give you a reason to check this thread out. And given a lot of information has already been provided, it wouldn't be that hard to make an argument yourself. Click the link in the title.

Written by @krleavenger

CaVs of the Week

Killua and Rocket vs MCU Iron Man and DCEU Wonder Woman

A 2v2 CaV between Killua and Rocket represented by @streak619 and @major_hellstrom taking on MCU Iron Man and DCEU Wonder Woman represented by @thewatcherking and @red_ruby_petal. A set of characters that you really wouldn't see a match together. Killua is one of the major protagonists from the Hunter X Hunter Manga. They are coming up against two of the most popular Live Action Characters. While in terms of Live Action Characters they are considered high tiers, we get to see them go up against a Manga and Comic street tier.

Luffy vs Mo Ri Hui

Luffy from the One Piece Manga takes on Mo Ri Hui from the God Of High School Manwha. With the former being represented by @gearsecond659 and the latter by debated by @mr_ingenuity. Two powerful mid tiers on offer here. Mori Hui is the weaker clone of Mo Ri Jin. While not as strong as his original Mo Ri Hui is still difficult adversary and is extremely skilled, so Luffy has his work cut out for him even in his G4 Form. Which means this should be one hell of a battle.

Percy Jackson and Thing vs DCEU Superman and MCU Thor

Another 2v2 cav with an MCU and DCEU Character taking two others. This time it's MCU Thor and DCEU Superman, both being debated by @buildhare. The duo are going up against The Thing debated by @toratorn and Percy Jackson debated by @supremegeneration. MCU Thor and DCEU Superman have been pitted against each since the day the latter debuted on the big screen. However now we are seeing the two team up against two mid tiers.

Archangel vs Hippolyta

A marvel vs DC cav between Archangel debated by @payneintheass vs Hippolyta debated by @the_badman. Archangle is a character that is used fairly often in debates and tourney matches while Hippolyta is someone you almost never see on the forums. So this is a good chance to see what she can do. While she is not as powerful as her daughter she can still be a tough opponent for Archangel.

Written by @emperorthanos-

Respect Thread of the week: MCU Bleeding Edge Iron Man (written by @amcu)

This week's respect thread is written by AMCU and it covers the Mark 50 nanotech armor used by Tony Stark in the Infinity War film. Using GIF's as well to give a nice rundown of what this suit is capable of in comparison to Tony's previous suit, we can clearly see why fans refer to this suit as the "bleeding edge" of Tony's armors. In regards to formatting, it's on point with headers and spoiler blocks being nicely used. Well done job and keep up the good work.

Credits

#380 Posted by Battle123axe (8981 posts) - - Show Bio

very very nice issue

Avatar image for major_hellstrom
#381 Posted by Major_Hellstrom (17689 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't know I was representing Blink, lol.

#382 Posted by emperorthanos- (16391 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't know I was representing Blink, lol.

I don't know what I was thinking.

#383 Posted by Amcu (16674 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for the shout-out on the RT!

#384 Posted by Streak619 (7620 posts) - - Show Bio

Good post. Thanka for the shoutout.

#385 Posted by Lvenger (36338 posts) - - Show Bio

That Thing vs DCEU Superman BOTW discussion was certainly spirited to say the least.

#386 Posted by Lan_Fan (13364 posts) - - Show Bio

I still have no idea what this thread is suppose to be, lol.

#387 Edited by emperorthanos- (16391 posts) - - Show Bio

Issue #68

No Caption Provided

Comic News

The Return of the Superior Spider-Man

Otto Octavius is set to ditch his Octopus identity in favour of his more infamous arachnid themed one this December when the team of Christos Gage and Mike Hawthorne launch a new ongoing Superior Spider-Man series. This series will most likely spin out of the upcoming Superior Octopus series, which is set to launch sometime in October. It will be something to see how Peter reacts to Otto once more donning the mantle of Spider-Man

Swamp Thing to have a hard R rating

Gary Dauberman, writer of the upcoming Swamp Thing show for DCTV has confirmed that the upcoming series will not shy away from the horror and graphic violence of the original source material. Dauberman, who has based his writing mostly off of Alan Moore's run on the legendary Vertigo character, is also known as the writer for The Nun, as well as the recent cinema adaption of Stephen King's ITparts 1 & 2, so he's got a good base in the horror genre. Fans should be pleased with this news

Is base Thanos really "the most powerful being in the universe"? Base Thanos runs a gauntlet!

MCU Thanos is probably the most hyped up villain ever since Madara Uchiha from Naruto. They were building him ever since the Avengers movie from 2012, which ironically was built up ever since Iron Man from 2008. And characters from MCU movies themselves were hyping him up as well. One of those being Korath, Ronan's captain who searched for the orb in Guardians of the Galaxy movie. When Ronan decided not to give Thanos the Infinity Stone of Power and was gonna use it for himself, Korath stated that Thanos is the most powerful being in the Universe, which could be evident even further by the fact that he showed zero signs of fear or worry about Ronan being ready to use the Power Stone against him. However, is he really at the top of the food chain? And without any Gems/Stones at all? He did not have any when Korath called him the number 1 strongest. Is he really more powerful than Dormammu? Or Eson? Or Ego? And at base? Maybe it's just a hyperbole. Maybe it's just an overstatement. Maybe Korath just isn't aware of existence of other extremely powerful entities in the MCU. Who knows? You can find the answer yourself on this thread, or maybe provide one your own.

Invisible Woman vs. Storm

A weird thing about Vine is that, a lot of characters that are pretty noticeable and iconic aren't really popular on the Battle Forum. A lot of obscured characters pop up in a lot of threads mostly because they have cool power set and are referred to as "powerhouses". Which I guess is understandable, but it's cool seeing threads with classic Marvel and DC characters that aren't use that often and yet have pretty cool power sets. In this case, we are looking at a fight between two of the most iconic female heroes in comics, Invisible Woman of the Fantastic Four and Storm of the X-Men. These characters are extremely lackluster when it comes to their physical capabilities, but they are incredibly versatile. This is like a decade old thread, but it was bumped recently. I don't know how much you care about this match-up, especially considering a popular/unpopular opinion on Storm overall, but I think it's worth checking out. And besides, there were not a lot of battles we could post this week, as you can tell.

Spider-Man (PS4) runs the MCU Gauntlet

I am breaking my own rule here because, this thread has yet to reach the 2 pages/one full page mark. However, 1) it does look like it will reach that point pretty quickly, and 2) this game has been hyped up for like, forever. It's a pretty different Spider-man game than what we have seen in the past 2 decades for console games and a lot of people expect it to be a rival of Batman Arkham franchise. On top of it, it has a lot of cutscenes in it, giving this version of Spider-man a lot of valid feats (and I say "valid" because they are not preformed during the gameplay itself, and gameplay feats don't count for obvious reasons), some of which are pretty absurd and were showcased way before the game was released. Well, it has been released pretty recently and a lot of people already finished it. So, how well can he clime (or crawl if you will) to the top of MCU food chain showcased on this gauntlet?

written by @krleavenger

Battle of the Week: TMNT vs. Avatar Team

No Caption Provided

For a thread that does not contain any Marvel or DC character, this Battle of the Week received a very decent number of votes and comments. Unfortunately it will probably get locked tomorrow because it has been going on for 6 days already, so you should hurry up and comment on it yourself, link above. As for the topic at hand, as you can see, those are all 4 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles versus Fire Nation villain turned hero (partially) team from popular Avatar animated show, composed of one of the main characters, Zuko, his sister Azula, his girlfriend and Azula's friend Mai, and their other friend Ty Lee. These are pretty versatile teams. All of the turtles have their own unique weapon which is the basis of their fighting style, and while both Azula and Zuko are fire benders, they have pretty different feats and use. As for the others, Mai throws knifes at people and Ty Lee is acrobat who uses nerve strikes (or chi blocks as they are known in the show). So it's pretty interesting fight, at least theoretically because some have clear advantage in votes.

written by @krleavenger

CaVs of the week

Arch-Angel Michael vs Knight Leader

@mass representing Arch-Angel Michael takes on @dechefman98 representing Knight Leader. The former is a character from the Soul Cartel Manhwa while the latter is from a manga called Toaru Majutsu no Index. There is no much I can say about these characters due to complete lack of knowledge on both of them. I'm sure that is the case with most you, so this is an opportunity to read about someone new.

Nagato Uzumaki vs Trafalgar Law

A Naruto vs One Piece Cav between @thenewguysnm1 against @rabii99. With the former representing Trafalgar Law against Nagato Uzumaki who is being represented by the latter. Naruto and One Piece are two of the biggest manga series and thus their characters are often pitted against each other. While people almost unanimously that the top tiers of Naruto are a stronger, there are still a lot interesting match ups possible between the two verses at a lower level. This is a great example of that.

Written by @emperorthanos-

Humans Of The Battle Forums: @wolfrazer

- Tell us a bit of who you are outside of the forums. Who is Wolfrazer exactly? Where did the name come from?

There isn't anything exciting to tell, just a regular guy and I'd rather not say anymore due to...personal reasons/issues. As far as the Username? ...Eh I like wolves, not really much else to tell, just popped into my head.

- How did you get into comic books (Western stuff like DC, Marvel etc. or Eastern stuff like manga, anime etc.) and when did you start out here in CV? How do you feel about the debating community in general?

How I got into it? Really just from browsing the net, seeing/reading on others talk about comics on various forums or in debates, I lurked here for a little bit before joining in 2012 and the debating community is....it's alright, seems to be a lot of the same stuff getting recycled though for the majority of the time from what I see.

- Do you have any particular favorite characters? How about comic book/manga writers and artists? Any reasons why that you'd like to share?

Particular favorite characters? There's quite a long list, I couldn't really name them all nor really pick out any particular few.

- How much have you changed as a Battle Forums debater from back when you started out to how you are now? Any particular instances that you'd like to share?

Well as far as debating, yeah I was a complete newbie when I started out and didn't have anywhere near the resources I do now. Take that from what you will, I kinda face scrunch hard at some of my posts or thoughts from way back compared to the information I have now.

-What do you think is your reputation in the Battle Forums and what is the highlight of your time as a debater here in CV? Would you consider it to be your crowning achievement in the site?

I'm pretty much the Star Wars(Legends) guy in regards to tech and Non-Force sensitive, ships, beasts/aliens and the like. Don't really have any highlights I can think of, but I'm pretty sure my greatest accomplishment is my Stormtrooper respect thread, as I know I turned a few heads upside down in showing what they're actually capable of.

- Lastly, Any advice you'd like to offer and shout outs you'd like to share with other fellow debaters?

Advice? Just don't be biased, seems a little fruitful but I mean you gotta know when the character or character is defeated, this shows that you're a credible person rather then trying to hard to push your view in a vain attempt to get the win. There's other threads one can do that for, this also makes debating more interesting if you have an open mind.

As far as shoutouts, there's @tparks, @wut, @killerwasp, SirFizzWhizz, @jedixman, @shootingnova, Fated_Xtasy, Nick_zambuto, cpt_nice, ParagonNate, MetalJimmor and a ton of others that I can't recall at the moment. Some great fellows to have discussion with imo.

Written by @life_without_progress

Respect Thread of the week: Post Flashpoint Darkseid (written by @krleavenger)

This week's respect thread is on one of the most iconic DC villains, Uxas, a.k.a Darkseid. This thread delves deep into his physical capabilities (which are great) as well as his more esoteric abilities like his Omega Beams, while also touching on his origins, which is different from his original, and even includes links to some of his more notable fights. This respect thread is really par for the course for what we've seen from Krle. Scans are on point, citations are included. This is just another great respect thread from a great debater. Well done job

Written by @vertigo-

Deadpool 2 deserves more credit for it's "Villain" - written/posted by @k4tzm4n

No Caption Provided

Most of the segments we introduced ever since this became a Daily Debater thing, were mostly pretty informative and worth checking out, because Gregg obviously knows what he is talking about. However, this one is a bit different. You won't learn anything new reading it because, it's 100% subjective. It's our friend Gregg sharing his thoughts on the overall villain concept of the Deadpool sequel. And while the movie was well received, a lot of people say they did not like the villain (or lack there of), or claiming how it is by far the weakest part of the movie. Gregg personally disagrees and finds it logical, creative and actually good that the "villain" concept was used the way it was. Why would you read this segment then if it just focuses on one guy's opinion? Well first of, Gregg's blogs/reviews/segments are always great to read because he has all the good characteristics and qualities of a blogger (format, use of words, quantity...). Second, he is a huge Deadpool fan. He knows what he's talking about. Third, I think you will find his opinion quite interesting. This is kinda irrelevant but I myself agree with his view of this decision on director's/writers' part and I think it really makes movie both deeper and adds a whole new meaning to it instead of just being different and creative way to make a comic book film. Besides, it's incredibly short blog. It took me like 5 minutes to read it, so show the guy some love. Check it out. Read it. Maybe leave a comment. It takes you like 5-10 minutes, and he probably spent like an hour or two writing it. It would mean a lot to him (and us, because again, like I said before, if you don't, why are we doing this, and why is he doing this himself)?

Credits

#388 Posted by ANTHP2000 (26962 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice guys.

#389 Posted by foxerdes (10163 posts) - - Show Bio

Good respect thread.

#390 Posted by Lvenger (36338 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool to see @wolfrazer get the spotlight. Nice issue.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf470b432518
#391 Posted by deactivated-5bf470b432518 (5801 posts) - - Show Bio
#392 Posted by KrleAvenger (26351 posts) - - Show Bio

Issue #69

No Caption Provided

Sorry for the delay. Nobody could post, so I'm doing it this time.

Comic News

New Miles Morales ongoing

Starting up in December, Miles Morales will receive a new ongoing series written by Saladin Ahmed and Javier Garron. The series, aptly titled Miles Morales: Spider-Man. This will be the very first Miles Morales series not written by his creator: Brian Bendis, and has been described as him "dealing with threats against the community and the city, rather then the universe...". Should be nice to for fans of the character.

Marvel to relaunch X Force

Marvels original X Force are set to reunite after the murder of their former leader Cable. Set to launch in December and written by Ed Brisson and drawn by Dylan Burnett, and spinning out of the Extermination mini series, which ended with a younger Cable killling his older self, Domino, Shatterstar, Cannonball and Warpath are going to be dealing with this loss and looking to answer some questions in the process. Should prove for some interesting reading for sure.

DC announces a new Marian Manhunter series

Written by Steve Orlando and drawn by Riley Rossmo, the Manhunter from Mars is set to recieve a 12 issue series starting in December. The series is set to reexamine J'onns origins and his emotional journey, as well as playing on his roots as a detective, with J'onn finding himself caught up in a murder mystery that may be tied up in his past. This should prove something to pick up for sure.

Top Cow to relaunch The Darkness

According to Top Cow COO/President Matt Hawkins, the Darkness is definitely coming back. While an exact month is unknown, we do know that the series will be launching in 2019, and will be written by Hawkins himself, and drawn by Tom Grindberg. Hawkins has also promised that popular Top Cow characters like Jackie Estacado will be back (although not how we might expect), and he's also revealed that Sara Pezzini will also return. Anyone who's familliar with Top Cow should know that the return of these two is definitely something to be excited about. This should definitely prove checking out for longtime fans, or for someone looking to check out something new.

===========================================================================================

Unfortunately, there weren't a lot of active Battle Forum threads for this week. Most of them barely have 5 posts, don't have enough content, or are just strait up repeats of everything you have seen already. Because of this, I decided to post something different things time. I'll provide links to currently, the most active and longest threads I could find by the time this is posted. I won't include any descriptions or detailed info on the threads because the title only should make it self explanatory and you should know what to expect. Keep in mind that all those threads are still pretty long and were bumped/created recently, but aren't that creative nor are they any different than most threads you have seen already. Might seem lazy to you, but hey, I skimmed through this forum a couple of times and I couldn't find anything interesting, and given the lack of posts on more original threads, there aren't any currently.

written by @krleavenger

===========================================================================================

CaVs of The Week

All Might vs Super-Boy

A manga vs comics cav, as All Might from My Hero Academia takes on Pre 52 Superboy. With @gearsecond659 representing the former against @lvenger debating for the latter. MHA is one of the most popular manga/anime around right and All Might is currently the strongest in the verse. Superboy may be one DCs weaker heroes but he certainly is a match for All Might and will prove to be hard fight for the former #1 Hero.

Kuga Yuma vs Koro-Sensei

Koro-Sensei from Assassination Classroom takes on Kuga Yuma from World Trigger. the former being debated by @valorknight and the latter by @maestromage. Two character from popular Shonen Jump Manga, Koro-Sensei is the most powerful character in his verse by a good deal, while Kuga Yuma is one of the main protagonists of his Manga. This cav pits two strong mid tiers against one and other. If you are interested in either of these manga, then check this out.

Iron Fist and Spider-Man 2099 vs Midnighter and Black Panther

A street level cav, with Iron Fist and Spider-Man represented by @king-ragnar and @blackspidey2099 take on a duo of Midnighter and Black Panther who are being debated by @lanternbatman and @darthjhawk respectively. I believe most of you would be familiar with these 4. They are character that are often seen in battles and CaVs. Midnighter and Spider-man are often considered to be strongest street levellers in comics with the other being fairly high street themselves. So this should be one hell of a fight.

Votes required: Spider-man vs. Batman - Prep Battle

Two extremely knowledgeable debaters, @blackspidey2099 and @lanternbatman represent their favorite respective comic characters who also happen to be arguably two of the most popular heroes ever, Spider-man and Batman. Spider vs. Bat. Batman is known for having a plan for everything, but Peter has come a long way since kid who could only make webb fluid. This debate has been going on for 3 months now, and it requires more votes. And it is worth your attention. You can learn a lot on this thread, despite the fact that it is a match-up with two extremely recognizable characters.

Character of the week: Flash Thompson: War Hero (written by @blackspidey2099)

"I know you're my friend, but there's something I never told you. I'm your number one fan. You're the hero I look up to." - Peter Parker
TitleDetails
Real NameEugene "Flash" Thompson
Created ByStan Lee (Writer), Steve Ditko (Artist)
First Appearance

Amazing Fantasy #15: Spider-Man!; The Amazing Spider-Man #654 - Revenge of the Spider-Slayer, Part 3: Self Inflicted Wounds (as Venom); Amazing Spider-Man: Venom Inc. Alpha (as Anti-Venom)

Latest AppearanceThe Amazing Spider-Man #800 - Go Down Swinging Part 4
Powers & Abilities
  • Skilled Combatant & Marksman

As Venom:

• Enhanced strength, speed, agility, and durability
  • Symbiote physiology, allowing him to heal, reform limbs, and even shape shift and camouflage
  • Form webbing out of his symbiote
  • Immunity to Spider-Sense
  • Wall-Crawling

As Anti-Venom:

• All of the above, with the addition of being able to burn symbiotes by touching them and heal people with a touch
Current StatusDeceased :(

Bio:

Civilian Life:

Despite the flashy (heh) outward exterior he presented through much of his life, Eugene "Flash" Thompson actually suffered a traumatic childhood and home life. He had an abusive, self-loathing alcoholic for a father, and his mother did nothing to protect him when his father would physically abuse him and his sister, Jesse.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5Gallery image 6
Spectacular Spider-Man Vol. 1 #-1

It was this home life which led him to becoming a bully in high school, targeting students such as the shy but brilliant Peter Parker.

Amazing Fantasy Vol. 1 #15

Even his ardent fandom of up-and-coming costumed superheroes like the Human Torch, and especially Spider-Man, for whom he created one of only three fan clubs in the country while still in high school, was influenced by his home life.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4
The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 #3/17/574

In fact, Flash found inspiration in Spider-Man - relating to the hardships Spider-Man faced every day. He saw Spider-Man's struggle to do the right thing despite being misunderstood and hated by the world at large as a parallel to his own story, persevering through his traumatic home life.

The Amazing Spider-Man Vol 1 #574
The Amazing Spider-Man Vol 1 #574

And even in high school, Flash showed early signs of bravery - especially where his idol Spider-Man was concerned. For example, when the world thought Spider-Man was a coward for running from a fight with the Green Goblin (since his Aunt May was sick), Flash Thompson dressed up in a makeshift Spider-Man costume to fight crime and salvage Spidey's reputation, with no regard for the danger he was placing himself in.

The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 #18

Flash was also an extremely proficient football player in high school, being awarded a scholarship to Empire State University for his athletic skills.

The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 #29
The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 #29

It was at university that Flash finally grew out of his bullying ways, burying the hatchet with Peter Parker just as Flash left to join the army.

The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 #47
The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 #47

Becoming a Soldier:

Flash had a tumultuous time as a soldier in the Vietnam War. When he was stranded from his platoon, he had been taken in and cared for by the priest (and his daughter Sha Shan) of a secret sacred temple. However, due to the secrecy of the temple's location, the US army decided to bomb it, not heeding Flash's pleas otherwise. Despite Flash's courageous actions, he was unable to save the temple, and earned the ire of all the temple's followers, who mistakenly blamed him for the bombings.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5Gallery image 6
The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 #108/109

Once Flash got back home, this experience notably changed his behaviour, as he was wracked with guilt over what happened.

The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 #105/106

Returning Home:

As soon as Flash returned home, he had to be placed under protection with the US Government due to the angry Vietnamese people who were coming after him.

The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 #107/108

Despite that, Flash was still kidnapped and about to be sacrificed by the priest's followers before Spider-Man and Doctor Strange saved him and revived the priest, leaving Flash finally safe and able to enjoy life as a civilian.

The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 #108/109

With his newfound maturity came a stronger friendship with Peter Parker, as he invited Peter to stay over with him when Peter was left unexpectedly homeless. It was then that the two friends realized just how much they actually had in common.

The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 #138

Soon, he fell in love with Sha Shan, starting a relationship with her. For a while, it seemed like Flash's life was going great!

Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man Vol. 1 #18
Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man Vol. 1 #18

However, the good things couldn't last - and Flash himself was the one to mess up his newfound happiness. He cheated on Sha Shan with Betty Leeds (Peter's former girlfriend) and even hit her when she confronted him about it. This lead to her leaving him, and him earning the enmity of Ned Leeds.

The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 #275

Flash's anger at this turn of events got him to publicly call out the Hobgoblin on live TV - but this turned out to be a very bad idea when the angry Hobgoblin got back at him by framing him and leading to his arrest.

The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 #276

Despite the setback, Flash doesn't lose his courage. In fact, he clears his name by helping Spider-Man fight the real Hobgoblin, nearly dying in the process.

The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 #289

Becoming a Cripple:

Soon after, Flash decided to rejoin the army, this time to fight as a soldier in the Iraq War. As usual, his courage was on full display, as he helped save his platoon from an ambush - however, this act of heroism took a heavy toll, despite earning him a Medal of Honor.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5Gallery image 6Gallery image 7Gallery image 8Gallery image 9Gallery image 10
The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 #574

His actions cost him his legs, leaving him crippled. Initially, Flash took this in his stride, making huge strides towards progress.

The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 #591
The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 #591

He entered into competitions and won them, while also getting back together with Betty. But things got worse from there. Flash soon began going through the five stages of grief backwards, getting more and more unstable.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5Gallery image 6Gallery image 7Gallery image 8Gallery image 9Gallery image 10
The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 #622

However, life started looking up for him once he recovered. In fact, he even managed to reconnect with both Sha Shan and his father, who had become sober.

The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 #622

Despite all his hardships and mistakes, Flash Thompson had truly shown he was a hero at heart. But he was soon to become so much more...

Symbiotic Soldier:

But having a regular life just wasn't good enough for Flash. He soon volunteered for the experimental Project Rebirth 2.0, the US military's effort to create a more effective Captain America for the modern era.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5Gallery image 6Gallery image 7Gallery image 8
The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 #654

This involved using the Venom symbiote (along with copious countermeasures detailed above) to empower Flash into a super soldier. And Flash, a patriot at heart, was truly proud to serve his country.

Venom Vol. 2 #1

However, when Captain America learned about this unsanctioned operation to replicate his success, he came to shut it down. This was when Flash went AWOL, stealing the symbiote. He rationalized it by saying he needed it to save his family, who were being threatened, but he also feared losing the power and connection with the symbiote.

Venom Vol. 2 #10

Realizing the danger this put his family through, Flash made the sacrifice of breaking up with Betty.

Venom Vol. 2 #12/13

Through all this turmoil, Flash continued to be a hero - even teaming up with people like Red Hulk to save Las Vegas from a demon invasion. His heroic efforts were rewarded by Captain America's official recognition and a spot on the Secret Avengers.

Venom Vol. 2 #14/15

His heroic activities even earned him a sidekick of sorts in Mania, a teenage girl called Andi who was in the gym class he taught. When Jack O'Lantern attacked Andi and her father, Flash was forced to give her a piece of the symbiote to save her life - but it did a lot more than that, turning her into a bona-fide superhero.

Venom Vol. 2 #32/38

Flash's status as a hero continued to grow, as he received a special assignment from Tony Stark to go to space and join the Guardians of the Galaxy.

Guardians of the Galaxy FCBD 2014

This was when Flash had the chance to visit the symbiote homeworld, and learn about the origins of the symbiote (now revealed to be a member of the Klyntar species). He also received new powers and abilities, as well as a complete cleanse of his body, in preparation to be an Agent of the Cosmos and a force for good around the galaxy.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5Gallery image 6Gallery image 7
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 #23

But this wouldn't last long. Due to the Earth conflict known as Civil War II, Flash and the rest of the Guardians returned to Earth to help Carol Danvers.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 4 #12; Venom: Space Knight #11

While on Earth, Flash caught up with his protege, Mania, and realized he had neglected his duties as her mentor. As such, he formally decided to stay on Earth, quitting his job as Guardian of the Galaxy and Agent of the Cosmos.

Venom: Space Knight #13

A Hero's Goodbye:

But things all went wrong during a routine patrol session. Flash was ambushed by a secret agent with high tech armor and sonic weapons, and was forcibly separated from Venom. In the scuffle, the symbiote was lost, and Flash could no longer find his partner.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5
Venom #150

By the time Flash eventually tracked Venom down, it was bonded to its old host - Eddie Brock. In a fight to reclaim the symbiote, Spider-Man interfered, resulting in Flash becoming Anti-Venom. This blocked Flash from bonding with his partner, so he was eventually forced to give up the symbiote - though he ended up approving of Eddie's partnership with the symbiote and continuing to do good as Anti-Venom

Amazing Spider-Man & Venom: Venom Inc.; The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 4 #796

This development didn't last long. When Norman Osborn came back into the fold as a villain, wielding the Carnage symbiote and knowledge of Spider-Man's secret identity, Flash's powers made him one of the few who could foil Osborn's plans. And that's exactly what he did, figuring out Spider-Man's secret identity on his own and then spending his own powers to cure everyone Osborn infected with the Carnage symbiote. However, this left him depleted, and it was in that moment of weakness that Osborn struck the fatal blow. Flash Thompson was dead. But he hadn't just died a hero - with his last words, he helped Spider-Man get his old symbiote under control, ensuring Osborn's eventual defeat. He had died as his hero's own hero. And what more could such a huge Spider-Man fan have asked for?

The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 4 #800

Powers & Abilities Overview:

I'll mainly stick to Flash's time as Venom for his powers and feats, since that's where most of his notable feats are from.

Physicals

In addition to a couple more exotic powers, the symbiote also grants Flash some pretty cookie cutter powers by increasing pretty much all of his physical attributes. I'll post a couple feats to showcase the relative "tier" Flash occupies with each of those stats.

Strength:

Durability:

However -

Speed:

Symbiote Specific Abilities

So, here's the cool stuff. Flash is a very experienced symbiote host, so he can use Venom to do a variety of crazy and unexpected things.

Shape-Shifting:

Constructs:

Tendrils and Webs:

Healing:

Random Stuff:

Fighting Skill

So, by virtue of his army training, Flash is actually a pretty skilled fighter. I mean, he's no Iron Fist or Shang-Chi, but he's definitely got a few moves.

You can check out my Agent Venom Respect Thread for more feats if you're interested.

Recommended Reading:

• Spectacular Spider-Man Minus 1 (Flashback issue regarding Flash's childhood.)
  • Amazing Fantasy #15 (First appearance; a comic classic.)
  • Amazing Spider-Man #108-109 (Flash's return home from the Vietnam War.)
  • Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #12-15 (Flash's first chance to be a hero on-panel, by saving Sha Shan.)
  • Amazing Spider-Man #574 (Basically the starting point for all his modern stories.)
  • Amazing Spider-Man #622 (Flash coming to grips with losing his legs.)
  • Amazing Spider-Man #654 (Flash becomes Venom.)
  • Amazing Spider-Man #654.1 (Flash's first mission.)
  • Venom Vol. 2 #1-10 (The intro to Flash as Venom and why he does what he does. It's very well written in general.)
  • Venom Vol. 2 #17-22 (Climactic event tying together story threads from many past issues. It's a great event.)
  • Venom Vol. 2 #38-42 (Flash's original story comes to a close.)
  • Guardians of the Galaxy FCBD 2014 (Joining the Guardians of the Galaxy.)
  • Venom: Space Knight #1-13 (Fun adventures in space with Flash and a few friends he picks up along the way.)
  • Amazing Spider-Man #796-800 (Flash showing his heroic chops without the Venom symbiote, before he gets killed.)

My full reading order for Flash Thompson since he gained the Venom symbiote can be found here.

Why He's Great:

Unlike most characters, Flash has gone through a lot of character development which has actually stuck. From being an irredeemable bully to an abusive boyfriend to a war hero and intergalactic champion, the character has evolved over time, instead of being stuck in that cycle which most popular comic characters are beholden to - the dreaded status quo. This is part of the reason I find Flash to be a much more relatable character than the likes of Peter Parker, for example. Flash is literally just a regular person, from being a football junkie to being a Spider-Man fanboy. When he faces hardships, he doesn't always manage to rise above them. He falls, and falls hard - whether it's being unable to hold Venom back from brutally murdering someone or just sinking back into his drinking habit. He doesn't even manage to always pick himself back up. But despite all that, he always tries to follow in the footsteps of his hero. He's so inspirational to me because he gives an example of what a regular person can do with enough motivation, determination, and the right mentors. He shows that you don't need to be some sort of moral paragon, have unnatural levels of willpower, or an unhealthy guilt complex to do the right thing. Anyone can be a hero - and that includes all of us.

DC Universe Should Revive Green Lantern: The Animated Series - by @k4tzm4n

No Caption Provided

In case you didn't know, few years ago, an computer animated TV series based on popular and iconic DC hero, Green Lantern, aired on Cartoon Network. It was cancelled however due to poor toy sales. However, a handful of fans seem to like the show, including Gregg, who few weeks ago, wrote a 2 page blog about why the series should receive another Season, and why it was good in it's own right. It's not the most complex topic, but I recommend you checking it out. He made some solid points, and it may motivate you to get into the series yourself. Maybe sign/log-in and leave a comment.

written by @krleavenger

=======================================================================================================

Bringing back Best Battles of Week

The Daily Debater is reviving the Best Battle segment that was start by K4tzman. We will be continuing to showcase the best battles of the week in the new thread every week. On top of that we will provide a little teaser on what some of the best battles of the week were in each Issue.

No Caption Provided

For this week we have some interesting battles. In Spectacular Spider-man #309, we have a clash between two Sand-men, one from the future and one from the present. With the latter getting help from Spider-man too. Certainly one of the more unique fights. While in Flash #54, we got to see the Strength Force in action as Flash and Trickster, both using the Strength Force, duked it out. And finally we have a Old Man Logan taking on a purple alien alongside the Alpha Flight. On top of that we will be including one classic comic clash, for this week we have Ripclaw vs Warblade.

written by @emperorthanos-

====================================================================================================

Credits

#393 Posted by ANTHP2000 (26962 posts) - - Show Bio

That street level CaV looks dope.

#394 Posted by Kevd4wg (12750 posts) - - Show Bio

Great right up for character of the week, though it's no surprise that the book length CaV needs votes.

Nice issue as always

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
#395 Posted by blackspidey2099 (6620 posts) - - Show Bio

Great issue! I hope everyone likes my COTW piece!

#396 Edited by Darthjhawk (5478 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome issue. The COTW by @blackspidey2099 is a great look at Flash and something anyone interested in the Spider-Mythos should check out. Though that formatting seems oddly familiar...

#397 Posted by Kevd4wg (12750 posts) - - Show Bio

@darthjhawk: The Gospel has even further reach then you thought

#398 Edited by Darthjhawk (5478 posts) - - Show Bio

@kevd4wg: Indeed. Soon the world will be singing my praises.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
#399 Posted by blackspidey2099 (6620 posts) - - Show Bio

@kevd4wg said:

@darthjhawk: The Gospel has even further reach then you thought

Um... I copied Darth's formatting before you even joined ComicVine smh. I'm pretty sure I was the first one to copy his formatting.

#400 Posted by Kevd4wg (12750 posts) - - Show Bio