Taekwando vs. Karate.

• 117 results
chu42t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Alright, I just want to ask the public which martial art is better. I know, maybe I should ask a website which people actually are dedicated to martial arts.

But seriously.

• Two martial artists, of both equal and extremely high skill (around Batman level in their respective martial art), decide to fight.
  • Takes place in a dojo with mats and everything.
  • No armor or weapons.
  • Using the most of their skill and not bloodlusted.

Please explain your answer, and have a nice day! :D

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Karate

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Tae to the Do

Gigantonigro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Karate. Good taekwondoin have the worst cover of all martial artists. One good hit in, they're done. Also it's something for lighter and quicker people, which backfires in less strength.

Alakemega123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Taekwondo as long as it's not that watered down American bullshit

Alakemega123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Alakemega123

Bump

EzioRenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KARATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alakemega123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'd think it'd depend on the people fighting. If one style was clearly inferior, why bother?

Comicexplorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

both are meh you have to find a really good ( and rare) school. but at least karate you learn to strike hard ( with a dicutable technique) and Tae kwon do you just ''whip'' your kick with your hands down.

during the fight club my gym hosted I never been in trouble with a Karate-ka or Tae kwon do artist.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chu42t: No Martial Art is better than the other, it all depends on the practitioner.

SirNeko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SirNeko

Depends on the fighter, not the Martial Arts in the end.

But wait for undefeated Bruce Lees of Comic Vine to give you a detailed explanation why the style their favorite anime character uses is the best style.

Comicexplorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chu42t: No Martial Art is better than the other, it all depends on the practitioner.

In the end, that is the best conclusion

ScotticusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To just say karate vs tae kwon do is really oversimplifying things, since there are so many unique disciplines among them, not including watered down American styles. That being said, I think there are more complete karate systems that would outcompete tae kwon do between two fighters of equal experience.

Avatar image for the_caped_crusader
The_Caped_Crusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kah-Rah-Tay.

haoalchemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By haoalchemist

@alakemega123 said:

Taekwondo as long as it's not that watered down American *****

SpinnerComix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Depends on the type of person. I'll go ahead and say Karate due to it's versatility, but anyone with good leg strength and are skilled in Taekwondo can knock out just about anyone with one good kick.

Avatar image for sirbaronobeefdip
SirBaronOBeefdip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeet Kune Do

EzioRenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alakemega123: I trained for it for more than 2 years and I defeated a Taekwondo black belter in my Neighborhood.

Saiyan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on the person fighting there really isn't a better martial art but what is best for the person using it

thelocust619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By thelocust619

There isnt really a "better" martial art, it depends on the person, how hard they train, and the situation. For a drastic example, let's take boxing, which is notorious for not using leg techniques at all...except they do. Footwork is integral to boxing, and if a boxer's footwork exceeds an opponent's kicking ability then guess what? He has better leg skills. It's not the martial art, it's the person using it.

To me it's like comparing swords...it all depends how good you are in general and what you are trying to do with it. If you're in an open field, a longer, more durable, and pointed weapon would be your best bet. In a duel, Rapiers and longswords are your friend. None are particularly better, it's all preference and individual skill.

In short, this isn't a battle with a definitive correct answer. It's a trap.

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seriously people... Most of you seem to not know the first thing about these martial arts. As always. If fighters are on same level it is impossible to say who would win. This will sound like a shock. But all martial arts are the same in the meaning that all martial arts have all the respective moves. Differences are actually in the way people move and in stances. You have a fairly limited number of moves for a human being and all martial arts will show you all of those if you stick with it long enough and you learn the traditional techniques.

Reno117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It depends on your alikes. If you love Karate more then Taekwando, then you will be better in Karate. If two martial artists, of both equal and extremely high skill fight against each other, then the one with the more willpower is going to win.

Simple as that.

Comickidd77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Karate has no power behind it. Bunch of kicks with no hip rotation an terrible defensive wise besides the darting in and out style it employs. The punching is mostly awkward an ineffective . Tkd is nice but it's extremely flashy and alot of its stuff leaves you extremely vurnable defensively not to mention you close the distance on a tkd guy and he's basically done offensively. Both have downsides but tkd can be used at a high level so it's the clearly better fighting style

XioKenji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kwando looks cooler.

It clearly wins.

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Chimeroid

@comickidd77 said:

Karate has no power behind it. Bunch of kicks with no hip rotation an terrible defensive wise besides the darting in and out style it employs. The punching is mostly awkward an ineffective . Tkd is nice but it's extremely flashy and alot of its stuff leaves you extremely vurnable defensively not to mention you close the distance on a tkd guy and he's basically done offensively. Both have downsides but tkd can be used at a high level so it's the clearly better fighting style

You are extremely wrong. And bunches of karatekas have shown the power of their kicks and punches. Also, real TKD is not just kicks

Avatar image for heraldofganthet
HeraldofGanthet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gigantonigro:

Karate. Good taekwondoin have the worst cover of all martial artists. One good hit in, they're done. Also it's something for lighter and quicker people, which backfires in less strength.

"Lighter"? "Backfires in less strength"? LOL. You need to YouTube "Bren Foster on Fight Science". Nothing light about that guy as he's solid muscle with about 6-8% body fat at nearly 6 ft tall. He has no lack of speed either.

That said, "Welcome to the 'Vine"!;)

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alakemega123: I trained for it for more than 2 years and I defeated a Taekwondo black belter in my Neighborhood.

And i have trained ninjutsu for 5 years. And in my club we had 2 young black belts. They both went to an MMA gym to prove themselves. One of them lost to all the newbs in that club while the other one went to become tha national champion in kudo (mma with protective helmet, he is a teacher, didnt want to mess up his face.)

Khael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Khael

It's all depend on skill

it has nothing to do with the martial art

Alakemega123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@khael: it says they're both around the same skill so it really depends on height and weight

Etheral_Dreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mainly depends on the fighters, though I'd favor TKD, due to the power of kicks and overall speed.

Comickidd77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chimeroid: no I'm not name one good karate fighter that's has been successful outside of it? They have no power behind anything they do. Karate is a garbage self defense. Also tkd is known for its kicks not its punches. Kicks are the main offense and on the inside tkd gets ate up for lack of solid punches

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

make a survey

pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shaolin Kung Fu beats them both :D

But I'd say Taekwando, I don't think Karate can compete with the range.

People who say "the martial arts doesn't matter its the skill" don't know what they're talking about. If it truly didn't matter than there wouldn't be so many damn styles.

Iragexcudder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just googled this and the winner is Flash, sorry comicvine.

MrHamWallet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Karate. Both martial arts were adapted to fight each other but Karate is much more effective for fighting someone not using Karate.

Tae Kwon Do has great kicks which are good to use in MMA but overall Karate is more effective.

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chimeroid: no I'm not name one good karate fighter that's has been successful outside of it? They have no power behind anything they do. Karate is a garbage self defense. Also tkd is known for its kicks not its punches. Kicks are the main offense and on the inside tkd gets ate up for lack of solid punches

Did you not watch any of those "karateka breaks things" videos... A trained karateka would easily one shot a person. That is why Punches to the head are banned in karate tournaments... Karatekas who compete cant fight in the ring because they are not used to defending their faces since punches to the face are banned.

TKD is KNOWN for kicks, which doesnt mean they dont TEACH you how to punch, grapple, eye gouge etc.

Comickidd77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chimeroid: lol you just lost all credibility. That breaking boards an blocks of concrete nonsense is straight up smoke and mirrors. It's been proven they are straight up fakes that buy boards and blocks with weak breaking points to give off the impression they can break said item they are hitting. Lol at one shotting people.

lettsplay10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

karate

chu42t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By chu42t

@sirneko: @thelocust619: @tifalockhart: @khaelGuys read the OP. Both have Batman-level skill and physique in their respective martial art. So, like if Batman decided to only use one martial art against another Batman , and vice-versa.

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

there is no right answer goddamnit

chu42t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirbaronobeefdip: Jeet Kune Do vs. Chuck Kwon Do would be very interesting.... Although we all know who would win.

chu42t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By chu42t

@comickidd77:Well, actually, their is a guiness world record of breaking granite tiles with one hit, and it is 30. Smoke and mirrors won't help.

Chi, or Ki in karate, is very real. I have watched Shaolin kung fu masters apply their chi, and their endurance feats are amazing. You can throw metal darts on their bare backs and they don't flinch. They can even take sledgehammers to the balls. With the right application of chi, Shaolin monks can kill with mere touches. The Dim Mak is real.

@sirbaronobeefdip@chimeroid@mrhamwallet@pipxeroth@vivide@leo343@alakemega321@masterkungfu@gigantonigro@jayc1324@saiyan77:@spinnercomix@windsaurus

Why I am making this thread? I want to learn a new martial art, and I'm trying to decide on either Taekwondo or Karate. I know that TKD concentrates on kicks, flying kicks, and high kicks, with hardly any punching involved. Karate has some high kicks, not as many (they try to conserve their balance) and their punching skills are much better.

A good, legit, Kung Fu school is very hard to find. I'm pretty much biased for Kung Fu because I am Chinese. But I feel that in order to have workable self-defense skills, learning Kung-fu for that will take a long time. Tai-Chi is very useful, however, and I may take up that. Muay Thai is very hardcore and is potentially very deadly, even in competitions, and so is Jiujitsu. But for now I'd like to find a good martial art other than Judo and Aikido, which I already have knowledge of.

I'm looking at:

• Muay Thai
  • Taekwondo
  • Karate
  • Jiujitsu
  • Shaolin Kungfu
  • Wing Chun
  • Tai Chi
  • Jeet Kun Do

I know I don't want:

• Boxing
  • Kickboxing
  • Wrestling
  • MMA
  • Hapkido
  • Copoeira
  • Krav Maga

These are decent martial arts, but some are too competition styled, and some are too showy.

Krav Maga could be the best self-defense art there is. But I also want a martial art I can use for competition. Anyways, I already know how to defend against weapons, so that's a lot of knowledge that would be lost on me.

I'm looking for a decent striking art that can be used competition wise but also for self-defense. Any recommendations?

thelocust619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By thelocust619

@chu42t: that doesn't change anything. If two fighters have equal skill in a given martial art, then their skill is equal. They are equal.

You're thinking of this in the sense that these minute pros and cons of each style will influence in a significant way. They dont, especially considering skill and preference. There is no such thing as a better style, only a better style for YOU.

Newbies tend to take matches like these (usually exhibition matches), see the winner, and just say oh, so BLANK is a better style than BLANK. It doesnt work like that, because if they did multiple matches you'd actually see the win/loss rate balance out.

As per my example with boxing, where the boxer has no real kicking techniques, it is possible the person using the boxing would be less likely to learn expanded foot techniques, yes, but here the combatants have equal skill in all catagories, correct? Ergo, it balances out. Same with Karate and Tai Kwon Do. They balance out. A style is only as good as the wielder.

This battle is not a battle, nor will there be a definitive winner. It's just not a situation in which there can be one. The best you can get here are the opinion/preferences of random people on the internet.

EDIT: If either of these styles were a warcraft, Ill admit it'd be different...but they're not. Someone using Akido vs Karate may find an advantage, because Akio is a warcraft. It is designed specifically for battle, where karate is not...but even then, the balance is still there. Sure, you can cut a man with your shin bone, but you can also break your shin. If you look at an old Akido master who actually used his art, chances are he's crippled, miserable, and looks like death itself while the karate master is still breaking boards with his bare fist at 70. In a case like this, it's situational. In a deathmatch, Akido would win. In an official bout, Karate would have the advantage.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Karate.

chu42t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By chu42t

@thelocust619: No. I feel like answers like these aren't correct, or else why would their be dozens and dozens of different styles? Why would people even bother to learn more than one style?

Many martial arts are ineffective against other martial arts. For example, if a wrestler can get in close to a Taekwandoist, the latter loses because he is unprepared to deal with the situation, and vice-versa. Perhaps it would balance out, but that does not mean they are equal. A boxer would almost definitely lose against a kickboxer or a Thai boxer, because they have the option to kick. Likewise, the Thai boxer would beat the Kickboxer, because he can use his elbows.

Aikido, yes, was designed to beat samurai. It is a warcraft, undoubtedly. But so is Karate and Kungfu. Karate was used to kill Samurai with their bare hands, by the Okinawans (not the Japanese) and Shaolin kungfu applies chi to destroy their opponent's internal organs.

It also depends on the way they train. In Muay Thai, practioners run 5 miles, swim 2 miles, and then they go to the heavy bag. Their shin bones are remarkably tough due to their training, whereas they kick not with their feet, but with their shin. Okinawan karate ists have fists of iron due to the Makiwara. Shaolin monks repeatedly bash their heads, fists, knees, shins, and stomach each day to build up muscles and callouses unknown to any other human being. Thus, they can punch through bricks, trees, and bone.

This would play in a large factor as well.

In conclusion, however, the best self-defense art would probably be Krav Maga.

thelocust619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By thelocust619

@chu42t:

1. Lol none of the answers are, thats what I'm saying. And look, this is a battle in a fictional setting, not a Google question which is probably more what you want if you're trying to decide something for real world use.

2. If skill is balanced, thesee fights won't be so predictable. A skilled TKD user can simply out-strike a wrestler, especially with all that juicy forward momentum they carry. A boxer can easilly duck or weave right through a high kick from a kickboxer with proper footwork, or even step over a low kick, as long as skill is equal. Most boxers fight other boxers, so their skill is hampered when outside if their con fort zone but that can be changed. Batman fights everything, so every style he has is prepared for other styles. That's why this isn't really the way you wanna go about this. You want an actual style comparison.

3. I'm not saying karate wasn't used for self defense at all, but it's not comparable in battle to a style designed specifically to kill a man and break him to pieces. Plus, there's many variations of karate, as styles evolve through the years. Over this time it was refocused more toward bouts than actual warfare, this is why it is not a warcraft like Krav.

4. As you age, the tougher training regiments become more impractical and the risk of injury is dramatically increased.

5. If you're doing this to make a decision, it is one noone can really help you with. If you prefer your feet on the ground and your foundation solid, Karate may be the choice for you. If you're more offensive and have the precision to make use of those riskier high kicks, the TKD may be just what you're looking for. I prefer safe styles, myself. For instance, Muay Thai, a warcraft, without constant proper conditioning you can easily hurt yourself, and this is less useful as you age. You likely won't really have the need to knee a man in the skull and potentially kill him, so it may be wiser to appreciate this art from the side.

For personal use, as a civilian, you won't need to be breaking bones or putting yourself at greater risk than you need to be. In most cases, just knowing how to throw a proper punch or kick while being acclimated to fighting conditions is usually enough to defend yourself. I'd recommend something you can carry with you through the years, otherwise it amounts to no more than a passing hobby you once had...if you don't intend to focus your entire life around it, that is.

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chu42t

I'm looking at:

• Muay Thai
  • Taekwondo
  • Karate
  • Jiujitsu
  • Shaolin Kungfu
  • Wing Chun
  • Tai Chi
  • Jeet Kun Do

These are decent martial arts, but some are too competition styled, and some are too showy.

I'm looking for a decent striking art that can be used competition wise but also for self-defense. Any recommendations?

It all depends on the quality of dojos in your vicinity. Tai Chi is an awesome martial art but 95% of places teach it as meditation only with no fighting purpose and the 5% are extremely hard to find. That being said. Wing Chun is a great MA for beginners as they have repetitive training with their punching drill and very efficient moving technique.

TKD is 100% focused on competition and it has very little value as a self defense combat style nowadays (again, if you get a traditionalist sensei it is a completely different story)

Muay Thai is extremely simple and a good martial art for self defence but it is very hard to compete in it.

Shaolin is awesome, but i dont think you can find a good dojo for it outside china.

JJ is not very good for self defence since you really dont want to go to the floor in the streets

I love Karate as a choice as long as you are willing to also train your guard since competitive karatekas dont know how to protect their faces from punches.

JKD i simply dont know enough about to give a good responce.

snikt_bamf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's lots and lots of different types of Karate. I did Kyoshin for a while which is really good. Ashihara too probably.

Then I had to switch to Okinawa karate and I could run circles around higher belted lol. They dont spar much, so they are real good at doing their techniques when standing still, but they don't know about feigning and being unpredictable and tactics (3 jabs to stomach and one kick in the head was enough to fool them lol) and all that sort of thing.

I think good karate and good taekwondoo are pretty much the same. I sparred with a taekwondo guy and he was good, he also had really long legs which is a super bonus for taekwondo. So if you have long legs i guess taekwondo.