• 97 results
Edited 3 years, 7 months ago

Poll: Superman vs Martianmanhunter(who do you like more?) (64 votes)

superman 48%
martian manhunter 52%

the hero, or the hero who wins who loses you decide

BEGIN

#1 Posted by TifaLockhart (21135 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a battle.

#2 Posted by EcstaticGrace (7190 posts) - - Show Bio

@tifalockhart: It is in a way, maybe not a battle on who would in a fight but it is of popularity.

#3 Edited by Noone301994 (22169 posts) - - Show Bio

MMH

#4 Posted by Backstabber (6896 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Superman and Captain Marvel would be a better question

#5 Posted by MysticMedivh (32250 posts) - - Show Bio

I like both, so I can't really choose.

#6 Posted by TifaLockhart (21135 posts) - - Show Bio

@ecstaticgrace: dude, I endorse stat threads in the forum but popularity isn't going to fly with the mods.

Avatar image for mightyrearranger
#7 Edited by mightyrearranger (1786 posts) - - Show Bio

@ecstaticgrace: Off-Topic or maybe even the JL or DC Subforums would be the place to go with topics like this, just for future reference. :)

#8 Posted by TifaLockhart (21135 posts) - - Show Bio

@mightyrearranger: probably not off-topic. It deals with comic characters so they'd probably move it to general discussion.

Confusing setup, I know.

#9 Posted by SolarPowered (1851 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Superman more, but Martian Manhunter would take a majority in a fight. (Depending on the morals, actually)

Also...

Not a battle.

Avatar image for breakingthrones
#10 Posted by BreakingThrones (1104 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Superman more, but Martian Manhunter would take a majority in a fight. (Depending on the morals, actually)

Also...

@tifalockhart said:

Not a battle.

Not necessarily, if MM phases, superman's heat vision works on a molecular level and could fry him when he phases - combine that with his weakness to fire and you have a toasted MM.

Also how does MM's speed compare to FTL combat speeds.

Avatar image for the_caped_crusader
#11 Posted by The_Caped_Crusader (10533 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman.

#12 Posted by NeonGameWave (19333 posts) - - Show Bio

I like both.

#13 Posted by kbroskywalker (13408 posts) - - Show Bio

OOPS THOUGHT IT WAS GEN DISCUSSION

#14 Posted by never give up (24994 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Posted by kbroskywalker (13408 posts) - - Show Bio

@ecstaticgrace: Off-Topic or maybe even the JL or DC Subforums would be the place to go with topics like this, just for future reference. :)

thanks

#16 Edited by kbroskywalker (13408 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Superman and Captain Marvel would be a better question

As you suggested: http://www.comicvine.com/forums/gen-discussion-1/superman-vs-captain-marvel-who-do-you-like-more-1719290/

In gen discussion this time

#17 Posted by The_Caped_Crusader (10533 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by sabracadabra (1587 posts) - - Show Bio

Supes.

#19 Posted by SolarPowered (1851 posts) - - Show Bio

@solarpowered said:

Also...

@tifalockhart said:

Not a battle.

Not necessarily, if MM phases, superman's heat vision works on a molecular level and could fry him when he phases - combine that with his weakness to fire and you have a toasted MM.

Martian Manhunter has phased through heat vision before. Is there proof that Superman's would be any different? Also, how exactly does his heat vision working on a molecular level change the fact that Martian Manhunter can simply phase through it? He becomes completely intangible, so that just makes no sense whatsoever.

No Caption Provided

As for your second point, Superman doesn't really have any feats of fighting at FTL speeds, only flying at them. But anyway, MM was able to temporarily keep up with Barry Allen in a fight, so Superman shouldn't really be a problem.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#20 Posted by TheGrayGhost (4173 posts) - - Show Bio

Jonn actually has phased through Kryptonian HV , albeit Superboy primes '

Avatar image for mightyrearranger
#21 Posted by mightyrearranger (1786 posts) - - Show Bio

@mightyrearranger: probably not off-topic. It deals with comic characters so they'd probably move it to general discussion.

Confusing setup, I know.

Oops, that's what I meant. >.<

Too many forums, too many pills

No Caption Provided

#22 Posted by never give up (24994 posts) - - Show Bio

Jonn actually has phased through Kryptonian HV , albeit Superboy primes '

#23 Edited by BreakingThrones (1104 posts) - - Show Bio

@breakingthrones said:
@solarpowered said:

Also...

@tifalockhart said:

Not a battle.

Martian Manhunter has phased through heat vision before. Is there proof that Superman's would be any different? Also, how exactly does his heat vision working on a molecular level change the fact that Martian Manhunter can simply phase through it? He becomes completely intangible, so that just makes no sense whatsoever.

No Caption Provided

As for your second point, Superman doesn't really have any feats of fighting at FTL speeds, only flying at them. But anyway, MM was able to temporarily keep up with Barry Allen in a fight, so Superman shouldn't really be a problem.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

1.The whole point I'm making is that superman has used his heat vision on people who are intangible because it works on a molecular level.

What doesn't make sense about that... Now perhaps Martian Manhunter's intangibility is beyond anything superman can get on a molecular level but that would be silly seeing as phasing is essentially moving your atoms through something but that's comic book logic for you. I've heard people say he moves to another dimension and nonsense like that.

Anyway, let's presume when he is "completely intangible" that nothing can get him.

2. Superman is more than capable of FTL fighting speeds. The reason he doesn't do it much is because A) There wouldn't be many challenges for him and it would hardly appear on panel - it wouldn't make good stories. B) He holds back in the earth's atmosphere so he doesn't cause destruction.

That scan hardly shows anything except that J'onn is in pain and all you see is a blur which could be the flash destroying him.

Anyway, I can't really be bothered to argue this because I don't care who wins. But it won't be that one sided. Martian manhunter can win but superman can also win, really depends if MM can use psychic attacks and phase before superman can hit him. Bloodlusted it could go either way.

#24 Posted by arofed (9 posts) - - Show Bio

50/50 hmmm

#25 Posted by kbroskywalker (13408 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Posted by The_Caped_Crusader (10533 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_caped_crusader said:
@kbroskywalker said:

Then change it.

How?

1. Click 'Full Edit' in the top right corner of the original post.

2. Click on the black arrow at the top and click Gen. Discussion.

3. Click the green 'Edit Topic' button at the bottom.

#27 Posted by depinhom (13506 posts) - - Show Bio

Tough choice but Superman

#28 Posted by kbroskywalker (13408 posts) - - Show Bio

@kbroskywalker said:
@kbroskywalker said:

Then change it.

How?

only edit, delete, and reply, i'll let things play their course

#29 Posted by The_Caped_Crusader (10533 posts) - - Show Bio

@kbroskywalker said:
@kbroskywalker said:

Then change it.

How?

only edit, delete, and reply, i'll let things play their course

Oh yeah, it doesn't work with polls.

#30 Posted by kbroskywalker (13408 posts) - - Show Bio

@solarpowered said:

Also...

@tifalockhart said:

Not a battle.

this isn't a battle and if it was, martian manhunter would win martian manhunter has temporarily kept up with barry, he can fight just as fast and react at that speed, he also has equal strength and durability in addition to being able to turn into whatever he wants, being able to phase through molecules which heat vision is made off and has overcome his weakness to fire, he also has used telepathy to control the justice league at once instantaneously, oh yea thats right he can just put superman in a coma

#31 Edited by Reactor (4385 posts) - - Show Bio

Gotta go with my boy Supes. Fav hero

#32 Posted by BreakingThrones (1104 posts) - - Show Bio

@breakingthrones said:
@solarpowered said:

Also...

@tifalockhart said:

Not a battle.

this isn't a battle and if it was, martian manhunter would win martian manhunter has temporarily kept up with barry, he can fight just as fast and react at that speed, he also has equal strength and durability in addition to being able to turn into whatever he wants, being able to phase through molecules which heat vision is made off and has overcome his weakness to fire, he also has used telepathy to control the justice league at once instantaneously, oh yea thats right he can just put superman in a coma

Keep up with Barry, right, I'd like to see how he would do if a bloodlusted flash wanted to speed blitz him.

Superman has true superspeed, essentially he can think as fast as he can move. That would make it easy for him to speed blitz someone FTL if he was bloodlusted. Not to mention the fact his heat vision can travel at light speeds. Of course heat vision is made of molecules, everything is made of atoms and molecules. If something works on a molecular level it is capable of hitting someone who phases - Martian Manhunter may well be an exception as what he does is beyond simple phasing.

He does have powerful telepathy but superman is far faster than the rate at which he can think. I'm sure the telepathy could work on superman but he has shown instances of resisting it in which the Martian Manhunter commented on how impressive it was.

,As far as I know he still has a strong psychological weakness to fire and in the new 52 Injustice superman burnt him out of WW - perhaps that doesn't count but it is an example.

Martian Manhunter has bled from a punch from Batman, if superman punched him FTL speeds, it would be devastating.

That said, it could go either way. Superman's intellect shouldn't be underestimated, he can think at speeds fast enough to race lightspeed protons in space too so it wouldn't be such a one sided battle.

#33 Posted by THORSON (4973 posts) - - Show Bio

manhunter is mysterious and has better abilities and story.

Supes is well....i use to like him a lot...but he seems so...you know plain jane...he needs a better look at least...

#34 Posted by kbroskywalker (13408 posts) - - Show Bio

@kbroskywalker said:
@breakingthrones said:
@solarpowered said:

Also...

@tifalockhart said:

Not a battle.

Keep up with Barry, right, I'd like to see how he would do if a bloodlusted flash wanted to speed blitz him.

Superman has true superspeed, essentially he can think as fast as he can move. That would make it easy for him to speed blitz someone FTL if he was bloodlusted. Not to mention the fact his heat vision can travel at light speeds. Of course heat vision is made of molecules, everything is made of atoms and molecules. If something works on a molecular level it is capable of hitting someone who phases - Martian Manhunter may well be an exception as what he does is beyond simple phasing.

He does have powerful telepathy but superman is far faster than the rate at which he can think. I'm sure the telepathy could work on superman but he has shown instances of resisting it in which the Martian Manhunter commented on how impressive it was.

,As far as I know he still has a strong psychological weakness to fire and in the new 52 Injustice superman burnt him out of WW - perhaps that doesn't count but it is an example.

Martian Manhunter has bled from a punch from Batman, if superman punched him FTL speeds, it would be devastating.

That said, it could go either way. Superman's intellect shouldn't be underestimated, he can think at speeds fast enough to race lightspeed protons in space too so it wouldn't be such a one sided battle.

ok superman and martian manhunter have roughly the same speed, same strength and same durability, while you could say martian manhunter keeping up with barry is pis, so is superman keeping up with barry, he overcame that weakness to fire and was able to be near the freaking sun, you know that giant ball of fire several times bigger than jupiter? and martian manhunter has intangibility and shapeshifting, and reristing telepathy is not equal to being unaffected by it, martian manhunter is physically superman's match and has a more versatile power set

#35 Posted by Vascillator (360 posts) - - Show Bio

Manhunter for me...its funny I pretty much like most "Superman-style" heroes (MM, Hyperion, Gladiator, PowerGirl), just not Superman himself heh

#36 Posted by laflux (24730 posts) - - Show Bio

People who argue Supes beats MMH in a battle are really just fanboying, or lack a grasp of MMH's powers, or a bit of both.

#37 Posted by SolarPowered (1851 posts) - - Show Bio

@breakingthrones:

The Joker hit them both with a device that corrupted their mind and made them savagely try to kill each other. They were looking at each other with pure malice before they fought; it's obvious that both Barry and J'onn were bloodlusted while fighting.

Superman rarely, if ever, utilizes FTL speeds during combat. He has the capacity to when serious, yes, but he doesn't do it. It's why he's often hit by the likes of Batman, Aquaman, Deathstroke, Doomsday, Shazam, Darkseid, Mongul, and so many others.

...Really? You're resorting to lowballing now? I mean, if we're going to play that game, then...

No Caption Provided

Superman has been knocked out by an exploding gas station.

Now, please, let's not lowball when we know characters are clearly more powerful than that.

We never said it would be one sided. We just said that under normal circumstances, Martian Manhunter would win more often than not.

Martian Manhunter would be injured just about every time though. That being said, if Superman were morals off, he would take a majority over J'onn.

#38 Posted by BreakingThrones (1104 posts) - - Show Bio

@breakingthrones said:
@kbroskywalker said:
@breakingthrones said:
@solarpowered said:

Also...

@tifalockhart said:

Not a battle.

ok superman and martian manhunter have roughly the same speed, same strength and same durability, while you could say martian manhunter keeping up with barry is pis, so is superman keeping up with barry, he overcame that weakness to fire and was able to be near the freaking sun, you know that giant ball of fire several times bigger than jupiter? and martian manhunter has intangibility and shapeshifting, and reristing telepathy is not equal to being unaffected by it, martian manhunter is physically superman's match and has a more versatile power set

Superman keeping up with the flash is not PIS ( obviously the flash is faster though) and I'm pretty sure MM is not as fast as superman, do you have any scans of speed feats suggesting he is - in terms of reaction speed and movement - bear in mind superman's reaction speed is so good time appears to slow down when he syncs it to the flash's speed.

He has a psychological weakness to fire and he has to turn off his telepathy to get past it.

Nice try at attempting to patronize me to make yourself look better which just has the opposite of the desired effect.

He would have to use his telepathy before superman can blitz him.

Yeah MM is ridiculously overpowered which is why he probably does beat superman but it really depends on a lot of factors.

#39 Posted by BreakingThrones (1104 posts) - - Show Bio

@solarpowered: Yes and it's also clear that MM was in pain and struggling.

You are just repeating the same point, he rarely uses FTL speed because;

1. He is worried about causing damage on earth

2. Plot demands that he doesn't just speed blitz people

In a morals off fight without PIS, he is more than capable of it and this would use it just like MM would attempt to use all of his abilities.

Well Shazam and doomsday are also very fast characters and the other characters tagging him is clearly BS for the purposes of story telling.

That was a pretty bad attempt at low balling, if a punch from batman made MM bleed a gas station exploding would have destroyed him and it only K.O'd superman.. Haha nah I'm just joking, I had to put Batman punching him in there, it's like Squirrel girl and thanos.

Morals on MM would win, morals off it could go either way.

It really depends. They know each other well enough to predict each others tactics. It really comes down to if superman can speed blitz him or not because without that MM has too many ways to win as the fight progresses.

#40 Posted by kbroskywalker (13408 posts) - - Show Bio

In a morals off fight without PIS, he is more than capable of it and this would use it just like MM would attempt to use all of his abilities.

Well Shazam and doomsday are also very fast characters and the other characters tagging him is clearly BS for the purposes of story telling.

That was a pretty bad attempt at low balling, if a punch from batman made MM bleed a gas station exploding would have destroyed him and it only K.O'd superman.. Haha nah I'm just joking, I had to put Batman punching him in there, it's like Squirrel girl and thanos.

It really depends. They know each other well enough to predict each others tactics. It really comes down to if superman can speed blitz him or not because without that MM has too many ways to win as the fight progresses.

what suggests that superman is any more capable of speed blitzing than martian manhunter is of speed blitzing supes

#41 Posted by BreakingThrones (1104 posts) - - Show Bio

@breakingthrones said:

what suggests that superman is any more capable of speed blitzing than martian manhunter is of speed blitzing supes

Show me MM going FTL and showing FTL reaction feats and then he is on the same speed level as superman.

#42 Posted by CalvinRod (483 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman punched Batman with all his might and failed to kill him. So, he did not have the strength to kill J'onn or KO'd? This is crazy logic of Batman have bled J'onn. lol

#43 Posted by BlackLegRaph (5460 posts) - - Show Bio

It's Martian Manhunter for me, and my vote just made it 50/50.

Based on abilities, J'onn also takes a majority over Supes, and I like them both. That's even after taking telepathy out of the equation.

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#44 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (16497 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman

#45 Posted by BreakingThrones (1104 posts) - - Show Bio

@calvinr said:
@breakingthrones said:

Superman punched Batman with all his might and failed to kill him. So, he did not have the strength to kill J'onn or KO'd? This is crazy logic of Batman have bled J'onn. lol

If you read my post you'll see that I said I was joking.

Post a scan of superman punching batman with all his might and failing to kill him.

#46 Posted by CalvinRod (483 posts) - - Show Bio

@calvinr said:
@breakingthrones said:

If you read my post you'll see that I said I was joking.

Post a scan of superman punching batman with all his might and failing to kill him.

Adventures of Superman Sacrifice.
Superman believed that Batman was a villain and that he had killed Lois.

No Caption Provided
#47 Edited by BreakingThrones (1104 posts) - - Show Bio

@calvinr: Batman was wearing armour as per usual and in the full scan superman shoots him with his heat vision once and then it is implied that he punches him. Batman looks pretty beat up and out of it and he could have easily killed him.

If I had been being serious, your statement of "Superman punched Batman with all his might and failed to kill him. So, he did not have the strength to kill J'onn or KO'd? This is crazy logic of Batman have bled J'onn. lol"

Is total BS. Superman used his heat vision once and then possibly punched Batman once and he looked like he was seriously injured and he was in armour.

So how by that logic is Batman - the guy that superman destroyed with ease, punching MM and making him bleed a good thing for MM!?

Especially when if Batman punched superman it would have no effect. Thankfully for you I'm not being serious but I think you need to reassess your criticism because it makes no sense and has zero logic which is pretty ironic tbh.

#48 Posted by Supreme Cosmic (914 posts) - - Show Bio

damn it I voted for superman thinking about personality but if it is power-set I have to choose MM. I find them both boring to be honest. New 52 MM seems to have more teeth though so we will see

#50 Posted by CalvinRod (483 posts) - - Show Bio

@breakingthrones:

"Martian Manhunter has bled from a punch from Batman, Superman punched him if FTL speeds, it would be devastating."

I have the impression That You Were not kidding.

In addition, Superman punched Batman's chin. It was to have broken. And I like to see where it is said that he was with armor, please bring me scans. Could I bring more scans where Superman spends shame.

However this is not necessary. Anyway, have a nice day, sir.