Superman

KMART4455

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By KMART4455

I think Supes wins this as awful as that is me saying it..

Can someone give me a strength range for Gladiatior at full Confidence?

Delta1938

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Delta1938

@WillPayton said:

Superman

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bigcimmerian

Are you people saying that Superman wins because he is more popular character or he is really stronger and has better feats lol?

SavageBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SavageBeast

Gladiator is nowhere near stronger than Superman. That is a FACT.

Delta1938

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Delta1938

@BigCimmerian said:

Are you people saying that Superman wins because you are fanboys or he is really stronger and has better feats lol?

He really is stronger and has better feats.

blackadamFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By blackadamFTW

They're both planet busters, and Gladiator has some impressive feats, but I have to go with Superman.

Delta1938

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Delta1938

@KMART4455 said:

To my knowledge, this "full confidence" thing is a misconception. That his confidence in HIMSELF being shaken weakens his powers, not that he's boosted if he's feeling more confident than normal. I could be wrong, but "full confidence" would just be any of his appearances where they don't have his confidence shaken.

KMART4455

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By KMART4455

@Delta1938 said:

@KMART4455 said:

To my knowledge, this "full confidence" thing is a misconception. That his confidence in HIMSELF being shaken weakens his powers, not that he's boosted if he's feeling more confident than normal. I could be wrong, but "full confidence" would just be any of his appearances where they don't have his confidence shaken.

I see thanks.. Im unfamiliar with gladiatior besides the bare basics and what i can find on here. Supes should win this regardless.

blackadamFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By blackadamFTW

@BigCimmerian: Superman does have better feats.

Gladiator has busted a planet with a couple of punches. Superman has pulled a planet the size of Jupiter.

Also, in the middle of the fight (arm wrestle, really) he'll probably have some stupid CIS thing, like usual.

NerdsFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NerdsFTW

@blackadamFTW said:

Gladiator has busted a planet with a couple of punches. Superman has pulled a planet the size of Jupiter.

Are you referring to the Mogaddon feat?

@BigCimmerian said:

Are you people saying that Superman wins because he is more popular character or he is really stronger and has better feats lol?

Superman has more consistent strength feats that put him above Gladiator(obviously at full confidence), like moving the moon, pulling the Earth back into orbit, lifting a black hole, punching Lobo into orbit, lifting an ship, slowing down someone who was made of eternity,etc.

blackadamFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By blackadamFTW

@NerdsFTW: Yeah. Sorry, brainfart.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By willpayton

@NerdsFTW said:

@blackadamFTW said:

@BigCimmerian said:

Superman has more consistent strength feats that put him above Gladiator(obviously at full confidence), like moving the moon, pulling the Earth back into orbit, lifting a black hole, punching Lobo into orbit, lifting an ship, slowing down someone who was made of eternity,etc.

"slowing down someone who was made of eternity"... LOL... as if that means anything. Please tell me, what does "made of eternity" mean?

superman69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By superman69

superman

Avatar image for venomoushatred1001
venomoushatred1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman

@SavageBeast said:

False.

Delta1938

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Delta1938

@WillPayton said:

@NerdsFTW said:

@blackadamFTW said:

@BigCimmerian said:

"slowing down someone who was made of eternity"... LOL... as if that means anything. Please tell me, what does "made of eternity" mean?

It was The Spectre, and Spectre's weight was described as, "A cosmic consciousness with the weight of eternity. And eternity, is heavy."

lady_liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By lady_liberty

@venomoushatred1001 said:

Superman

@SavageBeast said:

False.

Then provide proof.

TERMINATOR1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TERMINATOR1000

@Lady_Liberty said:

Superman

@SavageBeast said:

False.

Then provide proof.

are you saying gladiator is not as strong as superman?

venomoushatred1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Lady_Liberty said:

Superman

@SavageBeast said:

False.

Then provide proof.

Proof, eh?

Tell me, do you know ANY of Gladiator's feats? Glads has smashed planets with his feats, lifted colossal spaceships throughout space with ease, and has held his own against the likes of Hulk, Thorn and even Silver Surfer. Sayind that Gladiator's strength is no where near Superman's is false.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By willpayton

@Delta1938 said:

@WillPayton said:

@NerdsFTW said:

@blackadamFTW said:

@BigCimmerian said:

It was The Spectre, and Spectre's weight was described as, "A cosmic consciousness with the weight of eternity. And eternity, is heavy."

The actual quote is "The Spectre's body, you see, is composed of consciousness: a cosmic consciousness that contains eternity itself. And, eternity... is heavy".

And it means... what exactly?

Delta1938

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Delta1938

@WillPayton said:

@Delta1938 said:

@WillPayton said:

@NerdsFTW said:

@blackadamFTW said:

@BigCimmerian said:

The actual quote is "The Spectre's body, you see, is composed of consciousness: a cosmic consciousness that contains eternity itself. And, eternity... is heavy".

What does eternity mean? Goes on forever. Make of it what you will.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By Mercy_

Not a battle

alosha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By alosha

gladiator superman has so many weaknesses dat gladiator doesn't

lady_liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By lady_liberty

@Lady_Liberty said:

Superman

@SavageBeast said:

False.

Then provide proof.

Proof, eh?

Tell me, do you know ANY of Gladiator's feats? Glads has smashed planets with his feats, lifted colossal spaceships throughout space with ease, and has held his own against the likes of Hulk, Thorn and even Silver Surfer. Sayind that Gladiator's strength is no where near Superman's is false.

The only thing you post here that even matters is smashing the planet. Literally everything else is stuff Clark could do effortlessly.

venomoushatred1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Lady_Liberty said:

@Lady_Liberty said:

Superman

@SavageBeast said:

False.

Then provide proof.

Proof, eh?

The only thing you post here that even matters is smashing the planet. Literally everything else is stuff Clark could do effortlessly.

Fighting Thor or Silver Surfer are not things Superman can do effortlessly.

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Shawnbaby
@WillPayton said:

@NerdsFTW said:

@blackadamFTW said:

@BigCimmerian said:

The Black Hole thing is probably one of the stupidest things that has ever happened in comic books ever.
lady_liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By lady_liberty

@Lady_Liberty said:

@Lady_Liberty said:

Superman

@SavageBeast said:

False.

Then provide proof.

Proof, eh?

Fighting Thor or Silver Surfer are not things Superman can do effortlessly.

What does that have to do with strength? Neither Thor or Surfer have enough raw strength to challenge him. Thor's best strength feats are almost two decades old, and hard to define. Clark is physically much stronger then both of them.

And I agree that fighting Surfer isn't something he could do effortlessly. I think he would lose against Surfer. But again, that has little to do with an arm wrestling match.

@Shawnbaby: There is no reason someone couldn't lift a black hole. Its an object with rest mass, so as long as you could avoid getting pulled apart by the gravitational forces I can think of no reason someone wouldn't be able to move it if they were strong enough.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By willpayton

@Delta1938 said:

@WillPayton said:

@Delta1938 said:

@WillPayton said:

@NerdsFTW said:

@blackadamFTW said:

@BigCimmerian said:

I know what eternity means. It doesnt mean "goes on forever". It's also not a unit of weight.

Eternity means that something lasts forever, it has no end in time. It doesnt have anything to do with how big something is, how massive it is, how much it weighs, or anything else like that.

Saying that something weighs a lot because it's eternal is like saying it weighs a lot because it's blue.

Stop using it as a feat to show how strong Superman or Wonder Woman are. It's nonsense.

Delta1938

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Delta1938

@Lady_Liberty said:

Superman

@SavageBeast said:

False.

Then provide proof.

Proof, eh?

Has Gladiator held his own against those with Above Top-Tier Strength? Superman has, and beaten some.

@alosha said:

gladiator superman has so many weaknesses dat gladiator doesn't

One: It's an arm wrestling match, not a fight, so why exactly would weaknesses matter? Two: Gladiator has nearly if not as many weaknesses as Superman. Three: The weakness thing is irrelevant since it's not like Gladiator has the power to exploit them. Four: If this were a fight instead of strength competition, Superman is stronger, faster, more durable and overall more powerful than Gladiator, and likely is more skilled and more experienced. So your post=FAIL.

@WillPayton said:

@Delta1938 said:

@WillPayton said:

@Delta1938 said:

@WillPayton said:

@NerdsFTW said:

@blackadamFTW said:

@BigCimmerian said:

I know what eternity means. It doesnt mean "goes on forever". It's also not a unit of weight.

Eternity means that something lasts forever, it has no end in time. It doesnt have anything to do with how big something is, how massive it is, how much it weighs, or anything else like that.

Saying that something weighs a lot because it's eternal is like saying it weighs a lot because it's blue.

Stop using it as a feat to show how strong Superman or Wonder Woman are. It's nonsense.

What's nonsense is you trying to justify dismissing it. Not to mention Superman has comparable examples supporting it.

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Shawnbaby
@Lady_Liberty said:

@Shawnbaby: There is no reason someone couldn't life a black hole. Its an object with rest mass, so as long as you could avoid getting pulled apart by the gravitational forces I can think of no reason someone wouldn't be able to move it if they were strong enough.

I have a problem with Superman being able to do any of that. He can't move the earth by himself but he can contain a Black Hole in his fist? Also, even if Superman could survive it,  the rest of the league would have been dead before he ever got his hand around it anyway. 

None of this is to say that Gladiator would beat Superman though. Supes other strength Feats clearly put him over Gladiator.
lady_liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By lady_liberty

@Shawnbaby said:

@Lady_Liberty said:

@Shawnbaby: There is no reason someone couldn't life a black hole. Its an object with rest mass, so as long as you could avoid getting pulled apart by the gravitational forces I can think of no reason someone wouldn't be able to move it if they were strong enough.

I have a problem with Superman being able to do any of that. He can't move the earth by himself but he can contain a Black Hole in his fist? Also, even if Superman could survive it, the rest of the league would have been dead before he ever got his hand around it anyway. None of this is to say that Gladiator would beat Superman though. Supes other strength Feats clearly put him over Gladiator.

There's a lot of miss-conceptions about black holes.

Firstly is no difference that can be observed between the gravitational field of a black hole, and the gravitational field of any other object of the same size, shape, and mass.

Secondly is this idea that a black hole 'sucks in everything'. This only happens at or near the event horizon. Past that the gravitational field is exactly the same of anything else that has that amount of mass.

Thirdly black holes have charge. It experiences force when near other charged objects, in short. So it could be pushed, pulled, and so forth, as the interaction between atoms of a hand and other atoms is due to force.

As to the rest of the league surviving, they would have been far far away from the black whole's event horizen. If anything they would have been in the ergosphere, if it was a rotating black hole. So it would have been impossible for them to stand exactly still relative the hole, they would have been forced to move in some direction or another. If it was not a rotating black hole, there would have likely been no effect on them.

The truth is if you crushed my computer down into a black hole, and I was capable of acting in the fractions of a pinto second before it burned out from Hawkings radiation I could lift a black hole.

Anyway, nerd moment over ;-)

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Shawnbaby
@Lady_Liberty: not so...you can see in the scan that both Superman and Batman had already started to spaghettify. And yet neither of them are harmed at all by the experience.
lady_liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By lady_liberty

@Shawnbaby: You don't have to enter the event horizon to experience spaghettification. In fact it can be observed in far weaker gravity fields.

Spaghettification doesn't really mean anything here. If you had sharp enough instruments you could have probably recorded it inside the bodies of the people who returned from the moon in Apollo.

Our planet experiences it in principle, if not name. Its what causes the tides.

venomoushatred1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Delta1938 said:

Has Gladiator held his own against those with Above Top-Tier Strength? Superman has, and beaten some.

Thor, Hulk, and Supreme to name a few.

@Lady_Liberty said:

What does that have to do with strength? Neither Thor or Surfer have enough raw strength to challenge him. Thor's best strength feats are almost two decades old, and hard to define. Clark is physically much stronger then both of them.

And I agree that fighting Surfer isn't something he could do effortlessly. I think he would lose against Surfer. But again, that has little to do with an arm wrestling match.

Thor has had some recent strength feats such as moving the World Engine (1996) and harming Galactus with pure strength (2011) to name a few. Thor is indeed in Superman's strength class.

Anyway, thats not the point. The point is saying Gladiator "isn't nearly" as strong as Superman ,despite his many impressive feats, is completely ludicrous. Gladiator may not be quite as strong as Supes, but hes close to it.

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Shawnbaby
@Lady_Liberty:   It's hard to say what kind of Mass a Black hole as small as that one would have...could be anywhere between the moon and several Earths. Also, based on the spaghettifcation effect on Superman i tend to think it was a rotating black hole which would mean that if they were in the ergosphere they'd have to be travelling faster than light just to not be pulled into its rotation towards it.  Flash, Supes, and GL could all potentially escape the pull of a black hole...but Batman and Wonder Woman should both be pretty much screwed.    And I still don't see how Batman survives that level of spaghettification. 

It doesn't really matter so much because obviously it did happen and obviously the league survived.
lady_liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By lady_liberty

@venomoushatred1001: I wouldn't say those two feats put him in Clark's class at all. But that has been debated up and down the 8,000,000,000 Thor vs. Superman threads, until there really isn't anything new to say on the subject.

Back to Gladiator.

Yes, I would say Gladiator doesn't have anywhere near the feats to show he is close to as strong as Clark. For example he has struggled with the Hulk in combat. If he was anywhere near Clark's strength he would just one shot him and move on.

@Shawnbaby: The size of a black hole can be calculated very exactly from its mass, and the reverse is also true. We could measure Clark's height in the scans, and the size of the black hole, and by that get an idea of how large it is.

From that we could then extrapolate how much mass it had, and from that how great its gravitational field was and how long it would last before Hawking radiation burned it out. (Realistically one that size would last less then a thousandth of a second.)

That's a little past my interest in the subject though, as it would take a considerable effort for me do.

Diana could survive a black hole with no problems. If you can move faster then light, you can escape any gravitational field. (It should be really easy for Clark to fly though them, for example.)

But I agree that Bruce should be in serious trouble. I guess his bat-gravity-nullification device saved him ;-)

venomoushatred1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Lady_Liberty said:

@venomoushatred1001: I wouldn't say those two feats put him in Clark's class at all. But that has been debated up and down the 8,000,000,000 Thor vs. Superman threads, until there really isn't anything new to say on the subject.

Back to Gladiator.

Yes, I would say Gladiator doesn't have anywhere near the feats to show he is close to as strong as Clark. For example he has struggled with the Hulk in combat. If he was anywhere near Clark's strength he would just one shot him and move on.

Finally, we agree on something.

Back to Glads, the only reason he struggled with Hulk was because he was weakened due to radiation. At full strength, he should have no problem dealing with Hulk. The only reason I put Supes above Glads in strength is due to better feats. Other than that I would have considered them equals.

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Shawnbaby
@Lady_Liberty said:

Back to Gladiator.

@Shawnbaby: The size of a black hole can be calculated very exactly from its mass, and the reverse is also true. We could measure Clark's height in the scans, and the size of the black hole, and by that get an idea of how large it is.

From that we could then extrapolate how much mass it had, and from that how great its gravitational field was and how long it would last before Hawking radiation burned it out. (Realistically one that size would last less then a thousandth of a second.)

That's a little past my interest in the subject though, as it would take a considerable effort for me do.

Diana could survive a black hole with no problems. If you can move faster then light, you can escape any gravitational field. (It should be really easy for Clark to fly though them, for example.)

But I agree that Bruce should be in serious trouble. I guess his bat-gravity-nullification device saved him ;-)

I didn't think Diana had light speed capability...that's one to grow on. Do you know exactly what happens after that scan though...Superman is standign there saying he doesn't know how long he can hold it...i mean obviously it works out...im jus tkinda curious how they explain what happens...does it just burn out? Does Superman eat it?
Delta1938

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Delta1938

@Shawnbaby said:

@Lady_Liberty said:

I have a problem with Superman being able to do any of that. He can't move the earth by himself but he can contain a Black Hole in his fist? Also, even if Superman could survive it, the rest of the league would have been dead before he ever got his hand around it anyway. None of this is to say that Gladiator would beat Superman though. Supes other strength Feats clearly put him over Gladiator.

The instance of Superman needing help to move the Earth in JLA #75 is taken out of context. He wasn't in peak condition. He'd been dead underground for thousands of years and then just suddenly brought back to life. He wasn't fully charged. He'd actually moved a planet previously. While with help, it was under a red sun, and IIRC many times more massive than Earth. And the Mageddon example would also qualify considering how many times larger it was than Earth, what he did use his strength to power and move the clockwork-like gears would be planet-sized effort. And he has other feats more impressive than this, or even the black hole thing.

@Delta1938 said:

Thor, Hulk, and Supreme to name a few.

@Lady_Liberty said:

Thor has had some recent strength feats such as moving the World Engine (1996) and harming Galactus with pure strength (2011) to name a few. Thor is indeed in Superman's strength class.

Anyway, thats not the point. The point is saying Gladiator "isn't nearly" as strong as Superman ,despite his many impressive feats, is completely ludicrous. Gladiator may not be quite as strong as Supes, but hes close to it.

Since when was Thor above Top-Tier in strength? And Superman's a lot stronger. Hulk it depends on the incarnation. And the only example I'm aware of where they fought he did poorly. Yes, I know the context, but I don't think that's something worth using when saying Gladiator's fought those physically above Top-Tier. Supreme? Dunno if that was canon or not(I'm assuming you mean the crossover with Rob Liefeld's Supreme), but I remember Gladiator doing rather poorly. And I don't even know if Supreme is physically above Top-Tier, I only read a handful of his appearances. So if he is, I'd have to take your word for it.

@Lady_Liberty said:

Back to Gladiator.

Finally, we agree on something.

Back to Glads, the only reason he struggled with Hulk was because he was weakened due to radiation. At full strength, he should have no problem dealing with Hulk. The only reason I put Supes above Glads in strength is due to better feats. Other than that I would have considered them equals.

Superman also has examples where he's either overcoming multiple Top-Tiers(physically, plus some Mid-Tiers) who are restraining him or making them struggle to restrain him. Gladiator have any of those examples?

@Shawnbaby said:

@Lady_Liberty said:

Back to Gladiator.

I didn't think Diana had light speed capability...that's one to grow on. Do you know exactly what happens after that scan though...Superman is standign there saying he doesn't know how long he can hold it...i mean obviously it works out...im jus tkinda curious how they explain what happens...does it just burn out? Does Superman eat it?

Later him and Green Lantern take it to a wormhole. Green Lantern helps reduce the pressure along the way, then I guess when they get there contains it(wasn't clear if he contained it or not from what I recall) so Superman can "produce static electricity in tremendous quanities" which GL had corralled with a magnetic field to give it a more stable containment field, then Superman threw it into the wormhole like a baseball.

TERMINATOR1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TERMINATOR1000

@XImpossibruX said:

Superman

This.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ssejllenrad

Superman. Better feats. As long as we're talking about pre-flashpoint as the OP states. New52 Supes has got little to no feats that can bring him on par with Galdator.

NerdsFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By NerdsFTW

@Shawnbaby said:

The Black Hole thing is probably one of the stupidest things that has ever happened in comic books ever.

A black hole has a gravitational singularity.

A gravitational singularity is a point of infinite mass and zero volume, meaning Superman struggled to move the Earth, but lifted infinite mass? That's comicbooks for you-shattering our suspension of disbeliefs's beliefs.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By willpayton

@NerdsFTW said:

@Shawnbaby said:

A black hole has a gravitational singularity.

A gravitational singularity is a point of infinite mass and zero volume, meaning Superman struggled to move the Earth, but lifted infinite mass? That's comicbooks for you-shattering our suspension of disbeliefs's beliefs.

Actually that not true. A black hole is a singularity of zero volume, but limited mass. In that sense a small black hole it not much different from a normal object. The main difference would come if you got your hand too close to the event horizon... which is what makes Superman holding one problematic from a physics point of view.

NerdsFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By NerdsFTW

@WillPayton:

No, the singularity is the point of zero volume, not the black hole itself.

ms__omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ms__omega

Supers rips that stupid mohawk off his head.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By willpayton

@NerdsFTW said:

@WillPayton:

No, the singularity is the point of zero volume, not the black hole itself.

A black hole is a singularity, those two refer to the same thing. In any case my main point is that a black hole does not have infinite mass.

NerdsFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By NerdsFTW

@WillPayton:

1. A black hole has a singularity at its center. They're not one in the same.

2. A singularity has infinite density and zero volume.

3. Which, in turn, implies infinite mass.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By willpayton

@NerdsFTW said:

@WillPayton:

1. A black hole has a singularity at its center. They're not one in the same.

2. A singularity has infinite density and zero volume.

3. Which, in turn, implies infinite mass.

<sigh> If you're not going to listen to me then there's nothing I can do.