Superman vs Gladiator

This topic is locked from further discussion.

asylum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By asylum

I think it is interesting to battle Marvel vs DC. So here is one. Who would win between Superman and Gladiator.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Methos

i'm reasonably sure we've had this battle before somewhere...

anyway, superman any day

M

asylum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By asylum

Had this battle before. My bad, I'm new. May I at least ask how and by how much.

Iron Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Iron Apollo

Honestly I think Gladiator, he has all of superman's powers plus inertia and energy absorbtion, so he could take any thing superman threw at him. Iknow when it comes to comics history and popular opinion it would be superman, but thats not what the queston is about,

speed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By speed

Apollo says:

"Honestly I think Gladiator, he has all of superman's powers plus inertia and energy absorbtion, so he could take any thing superman threw at him. Iknow when it comes to comics history and popular opinion it would be superman, but thats not what the queston is about,"

there not at the same level, sure quiksilver and flash thave the same powers but at differnt levels

Iron Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Iron Apollo

Its obvious quicksilver's not as fast, but gladiators are the same level

speed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By speed

then superman can just shame him so he loses the will to fight

Captain Hazard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Captain Hazard

Isn't Galdiator the guy who just has to think he can win and he basicly can? Or am I thinking of the wrong person? Anyways if it is him then I say he wins.
Post Edited:2007-05-26 22:18:48

Iron Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Iron Apollo

Yes, Gladiator only has to think he can win.

How is superman going to shame him, make him think he can't win?
Post Edited:2007-05-26 22:20:32

Captain Hazard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Captain Hazard

Well then Gladiator has this one. He just has to believe he can win and he will. I mean sure he lost to Cannonball because Cball was able to absorb his hits with his field and so his confidence fell but Superman can't do that. I mean the guy beat an omega level mutant simply because he believed he could.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Methos

and Superman's taken down a God, simply because he could...

i'm not knocking Gladiator, but i don't believe there is any way he can actually hurt superman let alone best him in battle

M

asylum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By asylum

methos says:

"and Superman's taken down a God, simply because he could...i'm not knocking Gladiator, but i don't believe there is any way he can actually hurt superman let alone best him in battleM"

which god?there are many gods in the marvel universe and many have been defeated by one that was not a god.

Captain Hazard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Captain Hazard

methos says:

"and Superman's taken down a God, simply because he could... i'm not knocking Gladiator, but i don't believe there is any way he can actually hurt superman let alone best him in battle M"
Gladiator's ability, from what I understand, is that he becomes stronger, faster, more durable, until he wins as long as he believes he cans. He has all of Superman's powers but they adjust in strength with his confidence. So as long as he believes he can, he will win against Superman.
Iron Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Iron Apollo

Superman doesn't fight gods in the marvel universe, it would have been in dc.

and superman doesnt win because he believes he can, he wins cause he can. but in this case he can,t he would eventually be worn out where as gladiator would win only due to the fact that he can last longer, because of energy and inertia absorbtion.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Methos

asylum says:

"methos says:
"and Superman's taken down a God, simply because he could...i'm not knocking Gladiator, but i don't believe there is any way he can actually hurt superman let alone best him in battleM"

which god?there are many gods in the marvel universe and many have been defeated by one that was not a god."

Superman took down Darksied... that's an impressive statement in ANY universe

M

asylum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By asylum

methos says:

"asylum says:
"methos says:

which god?there are many gods in the marvel universe and many have been defeated by one that was not a god."

Superman took down Darksied... that's an impressive statement in ANY universe

M"

that is impressive. but my question is what makes superman more powerful than gladiator.

Iori Yagami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Iori Yagami

How exactly is Superman going to stop somebody who has all his powers at potentially infinite levels?

Logic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Logic

I believe the Gladiator has been greatly underestimated as just a strong guy. In effect the man has reality warping abilities, to the point he cause Vulcan's telekiesis [mind over matter which in itself is an uber-hench ability]was rendered useless. Generally his will is only affected by the upper echelon Telepaths . With regards to the 'Cannonball incident' he did not lose. He got back up. that PARTICULAR move he was aiming to achieve failed but no doubt he could have fried Guthier, he mostly just wanted to attract the attention of the X-men. All instances of the Gladiator losing are 1.just poor understanding of his abilities 2. a desire to stick it to Superman by having various characters defeat a character more or less like him 3. the simple fact that the guy is not really a hero per se and thus when he goes up against a hero, especially in thier own comic, he is destined to lose. I suggest people look at the recent Uncanny X-men issues [they seem to be giving himn a serious revamp] and Marvel Comics Presents issue 49 to get an understanding of how powerfull the Gladiator is.

Iron Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Iron Apollo

BAM! POW! WHAM! He's a B.A.M.F.! Nuff said. But I have always thought names like "Paladin" or "Centurion" would have fit Gladiator better, just sayin.
Post Edited:2007-05-27 23:05:38

Iori Yagami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Iori Yagami

I agree, Gladiator is sort of a dumb name. But as far as power goes, the guy is a freakin' force of nature.

Iron Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Iron Apollo

Oh I Iike the name Gladiator, it just seems more fitting to an earthly brawler, some one with random pieces of armor (like the hulks shoulder pad) and a couple different weapons.

Iori Yagami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Iori Yagami

That's what I meant by dumb; it doesn't fit a guy in multicolored spandex with blue skin, pointy ears and a mohawk. Now that I think of it, I wish they would revamp his costume a bit. I would be very cool if they incorporated some sort of armor.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Gladiator is basically a Superman rip off. Supes wins.

asylum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By asylum

Lord Gambler says:

"Gladiator is basically a Superman rip off. Supes wins."

Wow. That tells me nothing. The fact that a DC character and a Marvel character has similar powers should not even matter. There are many characters and matches on this site that features fighters that are similar. Everyone that has said superman would win has not explained why they felt like that. I'm not saying that he would not. I just want to know why you believe he would win.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By The_Ghostshell

asylum says:

"Lord Gambler says:
Wow. That tells me nothing. The fact that a DC character and a Marvel character has similar powers should not even matter. There are many characters and matches on this site that features fighters that are similar. Everyone that has said superman would win has not explained why they felt like that. I'm not saying that he would not. I just want to know why you believe he would win."

The fact that he's a knock off should be plenty, but just for you I'll give a reason. Gladiator's weakness is that he's a head case, what I mean by that is if he gets thrown off his game or doubts himself for even a second, he's worthless. Superman on the other hand doesn't rely on his mental state, in fact one could argue that he's at his best when things look the bleakest. Gladiator could hang for a minute or two, but as soon as he saw that Supes was as fast, as strong and as invulnerable as he was his confidence would slip and that would be that.

asylum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By asylum

Lord Gambler says:

"asylum says:
"Lord Gambler says:
Wow. That tells me nothing. The fact that a DC character and a Marvel character has similar powers should not even matter. There are many characters and matches on this site that features fighters that are similar. Everyone that has said superman would win has not explained why they felt like that. I'm not saying that he would not. I just want to know why you believe he would win."

The fact that he's a knock off should be plenty, but just for you I'll give a reason. Gladiator's weakness is that he's a head case, what I mean by that is if he gets thrown off his game or doubts himself for even a second, he's worthless. Superman on the other hand doesn't rely on his mental state, in fact one could argue that he's at his best when things look the bleakest. Gladiator could hang for a minute or two, but as soon as he saw that Supes was as fast, as strong and as invulnerable as he was his confidence would slip and that would be that."

Fair enough. That wasn't to hard was it. I appreciate your input and see your point.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Yeah I was being lazy.

Valkaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Valkaad

I am a Huge Gladiator fan and have been for a long time. His powers aren't totally thought based, he is naturally superstrong, fast, heat beams etc. But his powers do increase or decrease based on his confidence level. I would LOVE to say Gladiator wins the fight because I think he should. The problem with him winning is Marvel VS DC. DC' characters, in general, are more powerful than marvels. Yes gladiator can uproot the Baxter building, but superman can move planets. Yes gladiator can enter hyperspace and fly faster than the speed of light, but superman has proven capable of flying fast enough to time travel. I think Gladiator could give Superman some problems, but in the end, even though it pains me to say it, Superman is Superman and would beat Gladiator.

Sync

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Sync

hmmmmm define power , levels, strength, etc....

which version of superman are you bringing into this, and i do not know if gladitor strenght macthes superman.

if the fight just happen than superman would rock glaitor so hard, than its over.

I see gladtitor like hulk, he not so strong at 1st but than look out??

If you put the favor even more by having superman by a yellow sun, or soak up lots like superboy prime than gladitor does not look like he may win.

Can gladitor out will superman??? that is a real question.

I love gladitor too, and toss his name out in many post. But it really depends on lots of factors,

like a red sun, or kyronite, etc. If these enter the battle than superman may fall, but in truth gladitor was a rip of superman, and in such marvel should be ashame, even though they have made a powerhouse, give the a green latern ring and wacth the chaos.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Sync says:

"hmmmmm define power , levels, strength, etc.... which version of superman are you bringing into this, and i do not know if gladitor strenght macthes superman. if the fight just happen than superman would rock glaitor so hard, than its over. I see gladtitor like hulk, he not so strong at 1st but than look out?? If you put the favor even more by having superman by a yellow sun, or soak up lots like superboy prime than gladitor does not look like he may win. Can gladitor out will superman??? that is a real question. I love gladitor too, and toss his name out in many post. But it really depends on lots of factors, like a red sun, or kyronite, etc. If these enter the battle than superman may fall, but in truth gladitor was a rip of superman, and in such marvel should be ashame, even though they have made a powerhouse, give the a green latern ring and wacth the chaos. "

Did you ever say who would win? I cant tell.

Sync

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Sync

sorry , i try to give a fair over view of each strengths and weakness. Than i do worst and state condintions , envioments etc.

I do not feel that it can be just to say fight... there are so many things that can arise.

I will try to clarfiy what i said above. Which version of superman?

Here overall, superman would win.

If he meets gladitor straight up, and hits him, the fight may be over.

In this exmaple and statement i assume gladitor has no idea how strong superman is(he is strong) and that gladitor is not mad or has his will high..(im assuming that the guy does not walk around with his will high all day)

Now if gladitor will is high, than he will give superman a run a while.

I tried or attempted to make the match funny by saying(thinking) that gladitor would knock man into a yellow sun or fight hime by it not knowing, or maybe knock him into a red sun.. as i said just poking fun at it.

SUPERMAN will win.

"I do not like to state that unless i know all the things behind it and all the facts and data." oh well :)

Satyrquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32  Edited By Satyrquaze

Thay have pretty much the same powers, and Superman holds back A LOT and Gladiator does not at all.

Gladiator was trained in a para-military envionment, his rank roughly equates to a General, Supes relies overly much on his powers and regularly gets knocked around by a human in powered-armor. Take two regular guys of equal strength and intelligence and give one military combat training, who do you think will win?

Gladiator is the most powerful powered being in the Shi'ar galaxy who is not a force of nature (see: Phoenix-Force). Depending on who you ask, Superman isn't even the most powerful guy on his adopted home planet.

Without a plot device to save Supes, Gladiator wins.

Sync

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Sync

Post Deleted.

Sync

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Sync

Great point

But you have killed superman "so to speak" Its part of who he is, he has to hold back, hes not trying to kill those guys.

Ie.. super boy prime ripped a guys arm off(by mistake) because he did not know his limits or how strong he REALLY was. He can hurt or kill in too many ways, his sneeze can freeze people, destory buildings. So maybe he wrong for holding back and checking hiself for that??? Which seem to come across as weaking to some??

Since he holds back do we really know HOW strong he is?

Bad flaw of combat training, you may do what you been taught to do, instead of what you should do. Its creative vs taught. But because the writters are trying to make the story cool, and 2 bots push him hes weak?

The guys superman he was so strong that they had to undo him, and writters had to come up with ways to show him not so strong, when the do that with gladitor than maybe he will equal superman.

I find it hard that you compare the shi'ar galaxy to dc milky, they was so powerful and bad his names lives on though the 31 century, ie.. the legion comes to get his help?? Superman name is know in many corners of universe in dc and his powers.

whos thinking of gladitor in the 31 century????!

do you not think you could say the same for gladitor without help from anyone superman tags him though the mrry cystal?

Satyrquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Satyrquaze

Superboy-Prime is NOT Superman. That was the whole point of the climax "Infinite Crisis" Superboy-P is not part of the equation. The battle is Superman vs Gladiator. Not "Take your pick of some incarnation of any character who has 'Super' in their name vs Gladiator."

But, for the record, Superboy-Prime (who is from another dimension and a great deal stronger than Superman) moves planets, Superman can't do it without help. Superboy-P went berzerk in that fight, he lost control, so we saw what he was truly capable of, Superman would never lose control, we have never seen him use his full strength to hurt anyone (except maybe for Doomsday), I don't think we ever will, becase it would irreperably hurt who Superman is as a character. Gladiator has no such moral limitations.

Superman's name doesn't survive to the 31st century because he's powerful and bad, he inspired the heroes of the later 20th century, and therefore every hero (to one extent or another) until the 31st.

Besides in current continuity it's Mon'El who inspired the Legion of Superheroes, not Superman, and Mon'El was trapped in the Phantom Zone for a thousand years... after seeding the homeworlds future (DC's answer to the UFP), so you don't need to be powerful and bad to inspire the LSH.

The Guardians of the Galaxy were Marvel's coverage in the 31st Century, and they were fairly well based in earth's Solar System, they never really dealt to my knowledge with the Shi'ar (or remanants thereof), but given who Gladiator was, I'd have to guess he was remembered. There was a memorial to Spider-man, there should have been something to Gladiator. By the way, what difference does this make to who would win in a fight between them?

As far as Superman tagging Gladiator into the M'kraan crystal, I have trouble seeing someone who holds back as much as Supes does landing a punch on someone with as much combat training as Gladiator has had.

The flaw of who the writers are trying to make look cool argument is that it's not part of the equation in a vs thread. I don't care how creative Superman is, Gladiator has mastered several martial arts across a multitude of worlds, and is pretty creative himself.

Sync

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Sync

sorry, the point was to show thats why superman has to hold back, he can still easliy hurt others. I dont know how or why you took it to compare superboy prime to man?

second point, is that his name is know from what he did, this includes all his feats?! And that its in the books that legion came back for his help and admire him.

thrid point, i try not to use super of the superman version, but there is one lived for a long time. Also the the superman form superboy prime world in his younger form would easliy disable gladitor. As said i try not to use some version of superman because of their sheer power.

fouth point, is superman hold back to who he fights, and HOW do you or I know what strenght he is using when he punches gladitor??? That so called holding back may be a punch that can destroy a sun, and it depends on which version of superman does it not? Its the same as if he fight hulk, that hulk beginning strenght is not as strong as superman but giving time it becomes upthere.

Funny how you say how creative writers dont matter, ist know that gladitor is a kncokoff of superman bigtime, and how so they change it up lets let him master fighting styles..OOOOO AHHHHH.

But keeping with the trend, superman can hang with flash, i dont think gladitor even comes close, so the the whole superman not hitting him seems misguided.

Satyrquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Satyrquaze

Sync says:

"sorry, the point was to show thats why superman has to hold back, he can still easliy hurt others. I dont know how or why you took it to compare superboy prime to man?

You brought Superboy-Prime up, I just explained where he belonged in the conversation.

"But you have killed superman "so to speak" Its part of who he is, he has to hold back, hes not trying to kill those guys.Ie.. super boy prime ripped a guys arm off(by mistake) because he did not know his limits or how strong he REALLY was. He can hurt or kill in too many ways, his sneeze can freeze people, destory buildings. So maybe he wrong for holding back and checking hiself for that??? Which seem to come across as weaking to some??"

Sync says:

"second point, is that his name is know from what he did, this includes all his feats?! And that its in the books that legion came back for his help and admire him."

That's gone in and out of continuity, It wasn't that long ago that they were saying the exact same thing about Lar Gand/Mon'El. I guess with the "Lightning Lad Saga" it's come back in to continuity. Not that it really adds anything to this discussion.

Sync says:

"thrid point, i try not to use super of the superman version, but there is one lived for a long time. Also the the superman form superboy prime world in his younger form would easliy disable gladitor. As said i try not to use some version of superman because of their sheer power."

Superboy-Prime would also and did easily disable Superman, what does that proove? All you're saying to me is that there are versions of Superman even more over-powered than Supes himself, which I already knew.

Syn says:

"fouth point, is superman hold back to who he fights, and HOW do you or I know what strenght he is using when he punches gladitor??? That so called holding back may be a punch that can destroy a sun, and it depends on which version of superman does it not? Its the same as if he fight hulk, that hulk beginning strenght is not as strong as superman but giving time it becomes upthere. Funny how you say how creative writers dont matter, ist know that gladitor is a kncokoff of superman bigtime, and how so they change it up lets let him master fighting styles..OOOOO AHHHHH. But keeping with the trend, superman can hang with flash, i dont think gladitor even comes close, so the the whole superman not hitting him seems misguided."

Any punch of Superman's cannot destroy a sun, because that'd be ludicrous. I see that we're in agreement about the Hulk at least. I didn't say that creative writers don't matter, I said they are not part of this equation. And they aren't. A creative writer can write a story that has Black Panther defeating the Silver Surfer, it doesn't change the fact it would be a riduclous comic to read and I wouldn't pay money for it. Here and now we're talking about two characters at their full ability, and you're selling Gladiator a bit short. He was created to be Superman/Mon-El's equal as the Shi'ar Imperial Guard are an homage to the Legion of Superheroes.

The only real differnce is that the Imperal Guard are a military arm of a vast aggresive Empire and as such Gladiator is more militaristic and combat-ready than Supes is. Yes, seeing as Gladiator flies through space without a starship at times, he's probably pretty fast.

Put a guy with about a month of real combat training in the ring with a veteran Marine and you'd see a fight that would mirror Superman vs. Gladiator.

Still Gladiator.

Sync

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Sync

im glad you can pick your words and choices....

point with super boy is that the guy was not aware of his own strength and in such hurt others, that was that point. superman has to gauge his strength, it takes a man or mster if you would to win not uses all his strength. Thats the reason he holds back. No one cares about superboy prime here , he was only use to show what happens if superman did not gauge or hold his strenght in check or back. All in its was only a refence or exmaple man?

You ask me to pick a version of superman, and superman has done things on that level has he not??? yes punching sun and blowing it up may be out there but i think you understand the point is we dont know how hard his 1st hits are others will be, and they may be enough to end it right there

a vertran marine is a little diffent but your point is understandable? So are you saying ALL veteran marines can beat anybody without training??? Since we are applying real life, im going to say no, and not no hell no.

I seen lots of cocky military guys get their butss handed to them, in fact the ones who think like that are the ones that get" WHAM-OWnED" worst lots ok young cocky boot camp grads with their boot camp training comabt traininng get knock or should i say rocked stoone cold.

No im gladitor fan, love the guy, but against the feats of what superman has done. i dont really see gladitor macthing. Gladitor is impressive, but has no where done the things superman has.

Satyrquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Satyrquaze

I'm not saying "All veteran Marines can beat ANYbody...", I'm saying that as a rule the average veteran Marine can beat the average person on any given day. Why else are they given that intensive martial training if not to be able to win fights (in the process of defending themselves and their country) more often than not. You may have seen quite a few military guys get their asses handed to them, but there have been tens of thousands more who have been beat down by guys who have military combat training. By any stretch of the imagination, Gladiator is not just a boot camp grad.

I'm not asking you to pick a version of Superman... I'm saying that Superboy (any of them) are not part of this discussion, I don't care how powerful they are. When a thread like this comes up, I assume we're talking the current Superman in comic continuity and not any other.

The only reason you haven't seen Gladiator do the exact same feats as Superman is because Gladiator doesn't have 5 seperate comic titles devoted to him, we don't see him in several titles on a weekly basis.

the creator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By the creator

To understand who would win this fight, I think we need to examine what we know about the 2 combatants and the 2 universes they come from.

Universes: Characters from the DC universe are on avereage more powerful than their Marvel counterparts. There are numerous examples of this, even if you take in to account the low power rating of the Marvel characters as per the line of Official Handbooks of the Marvel Uni, where Gladiator is quoted as being able to lift 'more than 100 tonnes' - so lets be generous and say 150 tonnes (ignoring the fact that he cannot lift the Baxter Building without some kind of external boost). Now his feats of strength would strongly dispute this figure and based on the facts obeserved would indicate his strength level to be in the 'thousands' to ' tens of thousands' of tonnes range.

Characters:

Gladiator is not a character that 'if he beleives something' he can do it. There are characters who do operate like this, notably Paragon from the Femforce Universe. Gladiator posseses superhuman physical powers (strength, speed, invulnerability, senses), can fly and emit energy from his eyes. His 'belief' in his abilities supercharges them to their vast level, making him at least a match for the likes of Thor. Shaking his belief causes this supercharge to fade, drastically reducing his power levels. When supercharged and going with the issues covered in the Universe section, we have a character that can lift potentially 'tens of thousands' of tonnes, is able to withstand (but be injured by) blows from Thor's hammer, move at superspeed (marvel universe level i.e. Speed Demon level = 150mph approx), fly at close to light speeds (and can enter hyper space) and can emit potent energy discharges capable of cutting in to armoured star cruisers. Finally, don't forget he is also a skilled hand to hand combatant.

Superman is capable of lifting objects in the range of 'hundreds of thousands' of tonnes to 'millions' of tonnes. His invulnerability is such that he has survived a low yield nuke (which would seem to do more damage than Thor's hammer) and he has traded blows with other beings even stronger than himself (but not without injury). His speed is such that he can easily catch bullets and the like and has proved capable of dodging enegy weapon discharges. He can fly at speeds of hundreds of thousands of miles per hour. His 'heat vision' has prioven capable of melting pretty much any man made material so that's around the 4000+ degree celcius level. His martial skills are average at best and finally he has proven capable of fighting to the death (Doomsday) so if pressed will not hold back.

Overall then, Superman would win simply due to the fact that he is 1-2 orders of magnitude stronger than Gladiator, at least an order faster (reaction time , not flight speed) and would seem to be more invulnerable. There may not be much in their 'heat vision' levels and Gladiator's martial skills are better but Superman's overwhelming power advantage would see him through. Gladiator might be able to run away and survive the encounter as he does seem to be able to fly faster than Superman.
Post Edited:2007-06-01 08:03:08
Post Edited:2007-06-01 08:04:10

Logic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Logic

I completely disagree with the Creators power levels regarding the Gladiator. He is capable of destroying planets with his fists. He has flown through the heart of a sun, survived nova blasts. And has defeated [alongside the Imperial Guard]a weilder of THE PHOENIX force. On top of the sheer physical elements to his power he does appear to be able to affect the immediate space around him i.e Vulcan: 'Why cant i touch you' Gladiator: 'because i BELIEVE MYSELF UNTOUCHABLE'. I like that people have said to disregard creative writing and plot devices. Because this 'imposing doubt' bollocks is retarded, bear in mind that everytime the Gladiator is defeated Marvel are in essence beating Superman, its some kind of stab at DC. Unless Superman hit him with a punch that destroyed everything in existance i dont see how Gladiator is going to wuss out. The dude is a soldier protecting something he believes in immensly he isnt going to be put off by a slap. He is at MINIMUM the same as Superman. But factor in his ability to affect his reality and he will indeed defeat Superman. I agree with the soldier/veteran defeating an average dude thing. When it comes down to it thats what Superman is take away his powers and i would have a go at him and feel pretty confident that i have seen the Matrix enough to kick his ass, wheras the Gladiator is 1. Militarily/martially trained 2. willing to kill in an instant. If we were being REALLY serious the Gladiator would straight up snap his neck with some kung-fu death grip, Supes would be too dangerous to let live.

Iori Yagami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Iori Yagami

If Vulcan couldn't make Gladiator doubt himself, I doubt Supes is going to. Barring a high level telepath or a blatant plot device (Cannonball's "victory"), Gladiator's self confidence seems to be pretty solid.

the creator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By the creator

Please explain to me where you saw Gladiator perform the following,

Logic says:

"He is capable of destroying planets with his fists. He has flown through the heart of a sun"

To my recollection Gladiator has boosted about being able to fly through the 'hearts of stars' but has not been observed to do so. A good tactical weapon against opponents - make them believe that you are god like and they just might fold without a fight. What a good tactital soldier would do - something that Gladiator is.

Logic says:

"On top of the sheer physical elements to his power he does appear to be able to affect the immediate space around him i.e Vulcan: 'Why cant i touch you' Gladiator: 'because i BELIEVE MYSELF UNTOUCHABLE'. I like that people have said to disregard creative writing and plot devices."

Seems to potentially be a new power angle from a new writer. With only one such mention, it is difficult to put in to context. I have read this comic as well and might construe it to be a force field effect but I don't count this in to the balance as it is only a single 'appearance'.

Logic says:

"Because this 'imposing doubt' bollocks is retarded, bear in mind that everytime the Gladiator is defeated Marvel are in essence beating Superman, its some kind of stab at DC."

I don't belive that Superman could make Gladiator doubt himself but even operating at his best level, Gladiator is not as powerful as Superman.

Logic says:

"Unless Superman hit him with a punch that destroyed everything in existance i dont see how Gladiator is going to wuss out."

Most 'invulnerable' characters are potrayed as being able to be knocked unconcious by a sufficiently powerful blow even if the blow would not kill them. As with normal humans, a blow that KOs you, might not kill you. So Superman, with a strength level 1 - 2 magnitudes higher than Gladiator would be like an atheletic man punching an old lady - a lot more impact from the blow and thus a better chance to KO.

Logic says:

"The dude is a soldier protecting something he believes in immensly he isnt going to be put off by a slap."

The same could be said of Superman, who is regarded as having a strong force of will and belief in his values.

Logic says:

"But factor in his ability to affect his reality and he will indeed defeat Superman."

It is not shown that he can effect reality - a single appearance of a power, whose effect is unclear to the reader does not reality manipulation make.

Logic says:

"I agree with the soldier/veteran defeating an average dude thing. When it comes down to it thats what Superman is take away his powers and i would have a go at him and feel pretty confident that i have seen the Matrix enough to kick his ass."

The guy is 6' 4" tall and 235 lbs, all of it toned muscle. I admit that he relys on his powers too much but there have been many occasions when he has lost his powers or had them neutralised and still managed to prove an effective combatant - usually because the guy just won't quit. I do however agree that any trained fighter would still beat him - if both had no powers.

Logic says:

"wheras the Gladiator is 1. Militarily/martially trained 2. willing to kill in an instant."

Spot on right with that comment.

Logic says:

"If we were being REALLY serious the Gladiator would straight up snap his neck with some kung-fu death grip, Supes would be too dangerous to let live. "

My point with Superman possessing a significantly faster reaction time, strength level and invulnerability is that no matter how skilled Gladiator is in hand to hand combat, if he cannot get his martial skills in to play since Superman is dodging and punching him at 10 - 100 times his on level of strength, then Gladiator would be in for a serious beating.

With Gladiator's keen tactical mind and the fact that Superman rarely goes in at max power level straight away, Gladiator might catch him off guard and do some damage - the battle might even play out for a while but in the end Superman wins through his overwhelming power levels.

Logic Mark II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Logic Mark II

That was a good breakdown. But once again i dont beleive Superman [any version but especially not a standard version] to be anymore powerfull than Gladiator. And he has'nt just boasted about crushing planets and flying through stars it has been shown in Marvel Comics Presents no. 49. He has shown the ability to affect areas outside of his immediate person before in Fantastic Four V1 249 when he lifted the entire Baxter building without it crumbing or breaking apart. In that same comic he was hit by an explosion Reed Richards recorded as being able to destroy HALF the Solar System. The playing field would [maybe i should say could since i belive the Gladiator to be more powerful] be even in terms of powers and thus the fight would still be a highly skilled veteran versus a, for all intents and purposes, average guy [basically Superman is not SUPER when squared up to an equal opponent thus skill and temperement is what matters]. This whole speed thing, Gladiator is capable of faster than light travel he can travel in warp space and easily keep up with faster than light space vehicles, I have heard Superman can APPROACH lightspeed so if we are talking outmanouvering i think Gladiator has the edge. In short Superman cannot simply overwhelm the Gladiator and it boils down to who is the more ass-kickingiest-bstrd-psycho-killer...and i dont think thats ol' red white and yella.

Eternal Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Eternal Chaos

With the Evidence being displayed, I'd have to go with Gladiator.

Avatar image for superboy_prime_10000
Superboy-Prime 10000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hate to revive this thread but after reading your comment,I think I have to make a case for Superman here.

Logic Mark II says:

"That was a good breakdown. But once again i dont beleive Superman [any version but especially not a standard version] to be anymore powerfull than Gladiator. And he has'nt just boasted about crushing planets and flying through stars it has been shown in Marvel Comics Presents no. 49.

Nothing compare to Superman who can casually fly through the core of the sun unharmed and once surviving a 700 light-year magnitude anti-matter explosion,an exposion that was strong enough to kill a sun-eater.

He has shown the ability to affect areas outside of his immediate person before in Fantastic Four V1 249 when he lifted the entire Baxter building without it crumbing or breaking apart. In that same comic he was hit by an explosion Reed Richards recorded as being able to destroy HALF the Solar System.

And Superman has shown to have the ability to resist reality manipulation,as shown when he fought Blaze,a death goddess,in her own realm.Blaze has magical control over the very reality of her realm,yet Superman was able to resist everything that Blaze tried to do on him.

Also in In JLA #41,Superman survived a blast that could destroy half the Milky way galaxy,Superman suffered no harm whatsoever,and even smiled afterwards.

This whole speed thing, Gladiator is capable of faster than light travel he can travel in warp space and easily keep up with faster than light space vehicles, I have heard Superman can APPROACH lightspeed so if we are talking outmanouvering i think Gladiator has the edge.

Are we talking about a race here? Can Gladiator battles at Super speed instead of travelling at super-speed?Because these are two different things.Superman,for example,has shown capable of battling at super-speed.

Gladiator,on other hand,haven't shown the ability to fight at super-speed.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Static Shock  Online

Superman. His level of power, IMO, is enough to make Gladiator doubt himself. Also, I don't think that Gladiator has his reaction speed, either. And, I've never seen him do anything on Superman's level (Though, Gladiator would put up a better fight than Sentry would)

Perfect Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Perfect Cell

Iron Apollo says:

"Yes, Gladiator only has to think he can win.How is superman going to shame him, make him think he can't win?
Post Edited:2007-05-26 22:20:32"

Easily.. By doing things Gladiator can, but doing them better.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Static Shock  Online

Perfect Cell says:

"Easily.. By doing things Gladiator can, but doing them better."

And, here's a perfect example.... By talking him out of his game...

Like I said earlier, once Gladiator realizes what he's up against, he's bound to lose. Note that the intensity of Gladiator's powers are all in his head. Confidence-based. I think Superman could easily show him what he's all about and run his mouth at the same time. That would definitely lower Gladiator's confidence. And, for anyone who says that Superman wouldn't run his mouth as a tactic, check the scan that Superboy-Prime 10000 posted. Another perfect example. Superman wins.
Post Edited:2008-05-17 06:51:53

Ace High

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Ace High

That Doomsday was the weiner version, we all know what happened the first time round against PROPER Doomsday :P As for Gladiator I think it boils down to their levels of strength and speed. Superman has been knocked back by peope that aren't as strong as him aka Wonder Woman, Captain Marvel, Mongul etc etc but Gladiator has shown he has planet cracking strength. I You can't say HE IS STRONGER BY FAR! because it seems that isn't the case. As for Superman's mind games you forget Superboy Prime is a weiner moany lil kid whereas Gladiator is a soldier with vast amounts of experince and training simply talking to him isn't going to have the same effect as it does on people with weaker psyches. I mean his powers are lowered by his confidence being lowered but if Gladiator can watch his entire team be killed by a Omega Level mutant and still fight and win then thats a testament to his belief in himself and how strong his psyche actually is. He can survive supernova's and galaxywide explosions harmfree and so can Superman. It seems their level of invulnerability is similar so what could Superman do to make him lose his confidence?
Post Edited:2008-05-17 07:52:44