Superman sucks

• 171 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Phorqe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Phorqe

Superman is the lamest character ever. His initial powers were pretty weak and over the years the D-bags over at DC just kept tossing wacky gimmicks into his grab bag of super powers. Superman should lose at everything cause he's so damn lame. I've never read a Superman book that was the least bit entertaining. I got this from wikipedia:

As originally conceived and presented in his early stories, Superman's powers were relatively limited, consisting of superhuman strength that allowed him to lift a car over his head, run at amazing speeds and leap one-eighth of a mile, as well as incredibly tough skin that could be pierced by nothing less than an exploding artillery shell.[65] Siegel and Shuster compared his strength and leaping abilities to an ant and a grasshopper.[66] When making the cartoons, the Fleischer Brothers found it difficult to keep animating him leaping and requested to DC to change his ability to flying.[67] Writers gradually increased his powers to larger extents during the Silver Age, in which Superman could fly to other worlds and galaxies and even across universes with relative ease.[65] He would often fly across the solar system to stop meteors from hitting the Earth, or sometimes just to clear his head. Writers found it increasingly difficult to write Superman stories in which the character was believably challenged,[68] so DC Comics made a series of attempts to rein the character in. The most significant attempt, John Byrne's 1986 rewrite, established several hard limits on his abilities: He barely survives a nuclear blast, and his space flights are limited by how long he can hold his breath.[69] Superman's power levels have again increased since then, with Superman currently possessing enough strength to hurl a mountain, withstand nuclear blasts with ease, and survive in the vacuum of outer space without oxygen.

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#2  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

So you don't like him because he's changed with the times?

Avatar image for twilight_keyblader
Twilight Keyblader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I think he is overpowered sometimes, but he has enemies that are very powerful also. Dommsday, Darkseid, Lex Luthor, Zod... Yea, trust me, nobody else would be able to handle all of that. Maybe Batman.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Mongul (The Son of the original) Taught Superman how to hold his breath in the vaccum of space, it wasnt like they just decided to ignore the fact that he couldnt do it before.

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

He's "overpowered" because he's supposed to be the best. That's part of who he is. And to fight the people he fights, and lead the group that he leads, he needs to be as powerful as he is.

NiteFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By NiteFly

Twilight Keyblader says:

"Maybe Batman."

Like hell he could. I'm sick of the "batman can take anyone with proper preparation. Bull shit. Batman is great, but is highly overrated.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Phorqe says:

"Superman is the lamest character ever. His initial powers were pretty weak and over the years the D-bags over at DC just kept tossing wacky gimmicks into his grab bag of super powers. Superman should lose at everything cause he's so damn lame. I've never read a Superman book that was the least bit entertaining. I got this from wikipedia: As originally conceived and presented in his early stories, Superman's powers were relatively limited, consisting of superhuman strength that allowed him to lift a car over his head, run at amazing speeds and leap one-eighth of a mile, as well as incredibly tough skin that could be pierced by nothing less than an exploding artillery shell.[65] Siegel and Shuster compared his strength and leaping abilities to an ant and a grasshopper.[66] When making the cartoons, the Fleischer Brothers found it difficult to keep animating him leaping and requested to DC to change his ability to flying.[67] Writers gradually increased his powers to larger extents during the Silver Age, in which Superman could fly to other worlds and galaxies and even across universes with relative ease.[65] He would often fly across the solar system to stop meteors from hitting the Earth, or sometimes just to clear his head. Writers found it increasingly difficult to write Superman stories in which the character was believably challenged,[68] so DC Comics made a series of attempts to rein the character in. The most significant attempt, John Byrne's 1986 rewrite, established several hard limits on his abilities: He barely survives a nuclear blast, and his space flights are limited by how long he can hold his breath.[69] Superman's power levels have again increased since then, with Superman currently possessing enough strength to hurl a mountain, withstand nuclear blasts with ease, and survive in the vacuum of outer space without oxygen."

Actual, didnt they scale him back? He had unlimited power at first and they scaled him back, I could be wrong but I doubt :)

The WeatherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The WeatherMan

I think Batman could. He is the "Just a Human that Could"

Phorqe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Phorqe

Buckshot says:

"So you don't like him because he's changed with the times?"

I don't like him because he started the 'underwear on the outside' trend among the comic character community. It's sickening.

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Phorqe says:

"Buckshot says:
"So you don't like him because he's changed with the times?"

I don't like him because he started the 'underwear on the outside' trend among the comic character community. It's sickening."

You know he also started the whole 'superhero' trend right? He's the icon that's associated with the start of superhero comics.

The WeatherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The WeatherMan

Yupp. The granddaddy of all your favorite comics is the one who dislike so much.

Superman.

Irony bites.

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Gambler says:

"Phorqe says:
"Superman is the lamest character ever. His initial powers were pretty weak and over the years the D-bags over at DC just kept tossing wacky gimmicks into his grab bag of super powers. Superman should lose at everything cause he's so damn lame. I've never read a Superman book that was the least bit entertaining. I got this from wikipedia: As originally conceived and presented in his early stories, Superman's powers were relatively limited, consisting of superhuman strength that allowed him to lift a car over his head, run at amazing speeds and leap one-eighth of a mile, as well as incredibly tough skin that could be pierced by nothing less than an exploding artillery shell.[65] Siegel and Shuster compared his strength and leaping abilities to an ant and a grasshopper.[66] When making the cartoons, the Fleischer Brothers found it difficult to keep animating him leaping and requested to DC to change his ability to flying.[67] Writers gradually increased his powers to larger extents during the Silver Age, in which Superman could fly to other worlds and galaxies and even across universes with relative ease.[65] He would often fly across the solar system to stop meteors from hitting the Earth, or sometimes just to clear his head. Writers found it increasingly difficult to write Superman stories in which the character was believably challenged,[68] so DC Comics made a series of attempts to rein the character in. The most significant attempt, John Byrne's 1986 rewrite, established several hard limits on his abilities: He barely survives a nuclear blast, and his space flights are limited by how long he can hold his breath.[69] Superman's power levels have again increased since then, with Superman currently possessing enough strength to hurl a mountain, withstand nuclear blasts with ease, and survive in the vacuum of outer space without oxygen."

Actual, didnt they scale him back? He had unlimited power at first and they scaled him back, I could be wrong but I doubt :)"

You're talking about pre and post crisis. He was originally (WAY back in the beginning) how Phorqe described, stronger and faster and stuff, but not "Superman" yet. He got gradually more powerful until he reached his "pre-crisis" levels, where he could toss planets and sneeze out solar systems and stuff. He was weakened after Crisis on Infinite Earths and that's how he is now. He went up slowly, then down drastically.

Phorqe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Phorqe

obviously he's the first... his name's superman. Just because he's the first doesn't mean he gets to be the best. The writers should care more about interesting story than who has the biggest #&*$!

Rotten gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Rotten gun

im with you phorge. at least marvel gave their characters some humanity or atleast emotional or mental flaws. superman is just too unbeleivable, he's too perfect. his only weakness is a rock that know one has and then when they find it they use it wrong, why dont they make a laser that passes through kryptonite and laser that pretty boy in 2?

Prodigal Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Prodigal Son

Jealousy, plain and simple.

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

He's not the best because he was first, he's "the best" because he was created to be so, and just because you don't find his stories interesting doesn't mean that no one else does.

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Prurience Man says:

"Jealousy, plain and simple."

You're right.

Rotten gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Rotten gun

Prurience Man says:

"Jealousy, plain and simple."

maybe a little

Phorqe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Phorqe

Every time superman's about to die they just make up an other ability he has and say, oh he could die because now his ass releases toxic fumes or some crap like that.

As for jealousy? Yeah, I'm jealous of a fictional character... right.

Also he wasn't created to be the best, he was re written over and over for fifty years. He is a huge licensing icon so they just kept reworking him until he's just unbeatable. Then when no one was reading Superman because the stories were so damn bad they killed him off, then tried to have some lame spin offs before bringing him back. Anyone remember Electric Superman? He's a gimmick, nothing more.

Rotten gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Rotten gun

as for gimmick did you know that coke made santa claus wear red and white? before then he was some dutch fella in clogs, and some other guy but i foret.

Prodigal Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Prodigal Son

But how is that really any different than any comic character, at least at the Big Two? What do you think killing Captain America was all about? Sales, man. Sales.

The same exact sort of thing can be said, and has been here as recently as today, about Wolverine.

But that's ok if you don't like the character. Ask around, I virtually despise Cyclops.

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

You honestly think he wasn't created to be the best? He starts out as a guy who is stronger and faster and better than everyone else. The best right? And every time challenges come up, he gets stronger and faster and gains more abilities. Sounds like he's being upgraded so he stays the best. Doesn't that make sense?

If you really didn't like him though, why would your first post here be one that makes him the topic of discussion? Why don't you just talk about someone you do like?

Phorqe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Phorqe

agreed, cyclops sucks.

Prodigal Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Prodigal Son

Phorqe says:

"agreed, cyclops sucks."

See, I knew we could agree on something. Welcome to the Vine.

Rotten gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Rotten gun

ha i'll be damned! those superman lovers tricked us into making this a cyclops sucks thread! damned if i know how they do it?

Phorqe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Phorqe

Buckshot says:

"You honestly think he wasn't created to be the best? He starts out as a guy who is stronger and faster and better than *everyone* else. The best right? And every time challenges come up, he gets stronger and faster and gains more abilities. Sounds like he's being upgraded so he *stays* the best. Doesn't that make sense?If you really didn't like him though, why would your first post here be one that makes him the topic of discussion? Why don't you just talk about someone you do like?"

Because Superman's #1 on everything. It's pretty annoying. I don't believe he's stronger than the hulk

Rotten gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Rotten gun

oh no he said hulk!

fr2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By fr2007

Buckshot says:

"You honestly think he wasn't created to be the best? He starts out as a guy who is stronger and faster and better than *everyone* else. The best right? And every time challenges come up, he gets stronger and faster and gains more abilities. Sounds like he's being upgraded so he *stays* the best. Doesn't that make sense? If you really didn't like him though, why would your first post here be one that makes him the topic of discussion? Why don't you just talk about someone you do like?"

It is not the problem that he has uber strength or uber speed or uber senses. The problem is that has uber strength AND uber speed AND uber senses AND just about every superpower of DC. That is why Spiderman is so popular, he has to deal with crap. I'm not even talking about Superman Prime.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Phorqe says:

"Buckshot says:
"You honestly think he wasn't created to be the best? He starts out as a guy who is stronger and faster and better than *everyone* else. The best right? And every time challenges come up, he gets stronger and faster and gains more abilities. Sounds like he's being upgraded so he *stays* the best. Doesn't that make sense? If you really didn't like him though, why would your first post here be one that makes him the topic of discussion? Why don't you just talk about someone you do like?"
Because Superman's #1 on everything. It's pretty annoying. I don't believe he's stronger than the hulk "

Aaaand you tripp'n

Avatar image for cosmic_sentinel
Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

Superman is great, without him there'd be no comic industry as we know it. If you don't like him as a character, fine, but at least get some facts. Superman is NOT perfect, nor is he the most powerful character in the DCU. He hasn't been written any new powers in decades, any power he has now, he had in the seventies. He's made mistakes. In the run up to infinite crisis he really began to doubt himself and lose public trust.

Not every fictional character exists for you to relate to personally. He is supposed to be a mythical champion in the mold of Thor or Heracles. When he was written, he was supposed to be a champion of the oppressed in 30s America. Like all heroes, he goes through his trials (physical, emotional etc), that is what is entertaining and inspiring about him. In many fights, he could just tear his opponent in half, but finding another way is a message we could all benefit from.

I feel sad for you if you can't understand what he is, because you miss what makes him (and others like Spider-man) special.

BLACK DAWN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BLACK DAWN

Cosmic Sentinel says:

"Superman is great, without him there'd be no comic industry as we know it. If you don't like him as a character, fine, but at least get some facts. Superman is **NOT** perfect, nor is he the most powerful character in the DCU. He hasn't been written any *new* powers in decades, any power he has now, he had in the seventies. He's made mistakes. In the run up to infinite crisis he really began to doubt himself and lose public trust. Not every fictional character exists for you to relate to personally. He is *supposed* to be a mythical champion in the mold of Thor or Heracles. When he was written, he was supposed to be a champion of the oppressed in 30s America. Like all heroes, he goes through his trials (physical, emotional etc), that is what is entertaining and inspiring about him. In many fights, he could just tear his opponent in half, but finding another way is a message we could all benefit from. I feel sad for you if you can't understand what he is, because you miss what makes him (and others like Spider-man) special."

jeeze! i didn't realise not liking superman made me a bad person?

Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

Colonel America says:

"jeeze! i didn't realise not liking superman made me a bad person? "

Yes. Yes it does. You can get the electric chair for it in Texas.

BLACK DAWN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BLACK DAWN

Cosmic Sentinel says:

"Colonel America says:
"jeeze! i didn't realise not liking superman made me a bad person? "
Yes. Yes it does. You can get the electric chair for it in Texas. "

i heard that about texas. scary scary place.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Post Deleted.

Phorqe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Phorqe

Cosmic Sentinel says:

"Superman is great, without him there'd be no comic industry as we know it. If you don't like him as a character, fine, but at least get some facts. Superman is **NOT** perfect, nor is he the most powerful character in the DCU. He hasn't been written any *new* powers in decades, any power he has now, he had in the seventies. He's made mistakes. In the run up to infinite crisis he really began to doubt himself and lose public trust.Not every fictional character exists for you to relate to personally. He is *supposed* to be a mythical champion in the mold of Thor or Heracles. When he was written, he was supposed to be a champion of the oppressed in 30s America. Like all heroes, he goes through his trials (physical, emotional etc), that is what is entertaining and inspiring about him. In many fights, he could just tear his opponent in half, but finding another way is a message we could all benefit from.I feel sad for you if you can't understand what he is, because you miss what makes him (and others like Spider-man) special."

If he is supposed to be in the mold of Thor, why is he so much more powerful than Thor?

No matter what happens, who he fights, he never friggin loses. "Superman wins! Tough Shit, deal with it."

Also, just because he was first doesn't mean there would be no comic industry without him. Superman wasn't the first comic, just the first superhero. I'm sure if superman didn't come out something else would have, maybe someone that knows how to wear their underwear properly.

No new powers? How about turning into electricity? Also, he has a new finishing move:

Post Edited:2007-05-19 12:29:11

Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

Phorqe says:

"If he is supposed to be in the mold of Thor, why is he so much more powerful than Thor? "

I refer you to this list: http://www.comicvine.com/cross-company-character-rankings/43598/

He is only the same power level as Thor in his most powerful incarnations.

"No matter what happens, who he fights, he never friggin loses. "Superman wins! Tough Shit, deal with it."

Because comics are full of heroes losing.... Like all heroes, he suffers set backs and losses, but eventually wins.

"No new powers? How about turning into electricity?"

That was a one off thing where he transformed, he can't do that now. Everyone gets story arcs we prefer to forget. I think most Spidey fans would prefer to forget the whole clone saga.

"Also, just because he was first doesn't mean there would be no comic industry without him. Superman wasn't the first comic, just the first superhero. "

The first to wear a tight fitting costume was the Phantom (1936), he also was the first to have blank eye balls. Superman was the first with super powers. It was also his success in Action Comics that led to him being the first to have his own book. It was his runaway success that provided the spark that set the industry's explosion. This is from Wikipedia's Superman entry:

"Inspiring a market

The character's initial success led to similar characters being created.[81][82] Batman was the first to follow, Bob Kane commenting to Vin Sullivan that given the "kind of money (Siegel and Shuster were earning) you'll have one on Monday".[83] Victor Fox, an accountant for DC, also noticed the revenue such comics generated, and commissioned Will Eisner to create a deliberately similar character to Superman."

NiteFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By NiteFly

Prurience Man says:

"Ask around, I virtually despise Cyclops."

Virtually? I was under the impression that contempt you felt for Cyclops

Prodigal Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Prodigal Son

NiteFly says:

"Prurience Man says:
"Ask around, I virtually despise Cyclops."

Virtually? I was under the impression that contempt you felt for Cyclops "

Your sentence cut off there, but I think I understand where you were going. I say "virtual" because he's a fictional character. How real can my hatred really be? I reserve true hatred for real life issues. My hatred for Cyclops is purely tongue-in-cheek, and it's true value is only as a conversation piece among fellow comic book readers. That's why I'm not in this thread going:

"SUPERMAN ROCKS! ALL YOU HATERZ CAN SUCK IT!"

If I start to get that wrapped up in caring about fictional characters, then I need professional psychiatric help.

Post Edited:2007-05-19 14:08:02

Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

SUPERMAN ROCKS! ALL YOU HATERZ CAN SUCK IT!

Hey, rubber wallpaper!

Iori Yagami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Iori Yagami

I'm with Phorge 100%. Superman is annoying and overpowered.

ScoodleDaddle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ScoodleDaddle

Hasn't this been done before?

Read Kurt Busiek's current run on Superman without a bias, and tell me you aren't the least bit entertained.

BLACK DAWN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By BLACK DAWN

ScoodleDaddle says:

"Hasn't this been done before? Read Kurt Busiek's current run on Superman without a bias, and tell me you aren't the least bit entertained."

really? so people often declare their hate of superman? coooolllll.

Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

Not often. Saner heads usually prevail.

ScoodleDaddle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ScoodleDaddle

No, actually, tons of toolboxes declare that they think Superman sucks quite often. In fact, more people dislike him than like him. So this actually puts you guys (Phorge, etc...) in the majority, therefore making you conformists.

HA!

BLACK DAWN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By BLACK DAWN

ScoodleDaddle says:

"No, actually, tons of toolboxes declare that they think Superman sucks quite often. In fact, more people dislike him than like him. So this actually puts you guys (Phorge, etc...) in the majority, therefore making you conformists. HA!"

ha yes at last! the greater community has spoken! now if i can only figure a way to get rid of emo's?

Phorqe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Phorqe

ScoodleDaddle says:

"Hasn't this been done before?Read Kurt Busiek's current run on Superman without a bias, and tell me you aren't the least bit entertained."

Then I would break my vow to never buy another Superman comic.

ScoodleDaddle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ScoodleDaddle

Well, then you're missing out.

Phorqe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Phorqe

ScoodleDaddle says:

"No, actually, tons of toolboxes declare that they think Superman sucks quite often. In fact, more people dislike him than like him. So this actually puts you guys (Phorge, etc...) in the majority, therefore making you conformists.HA!"

That's a Q not a G in my name, recognize.

Zaraki Ichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Zaraki Ichigo

I think the fact that Supes hasn't changed with the times is a good sign of his enduring character. That Superman has remained the same to me is a good reason to look at the guy and say, hey they did something right with this guy. He has withstood the test of time and has shown that he is a great name in comics, so why would you say he sucks besides the stiff everyone disagrees with.

BLACK DAWN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By BLACK DAWN

Zaraki Ichigo says:

"I think the fact that Supes hasn't changed with the times is a good sign of his enduring character. That Superman has remained the same to me is a good reason to look at the guy and say, hey they did something right with this guy. He has withstood the test of time and has shown that he is a great name in comics, so why would you say he sucks besides the stiff everyone disagrees with."

superman on his own doesn't make him an enduring character, if it wasn't for clark kent he wouldn't be who he is today let alone a great cast of enemy's :)