Starkiller (Galen Marek) vs Darth Maul

GodOfMischief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GodOfMischief

Battle takes place in the Geonosian arena.

Both characters are in their prime.

Round 1: Lightsaber combat only. (This is the original Starkiller who has one lightsaber, Maul still has his double bladed lightsaber.)

Round 2: Force only.

Round 3: All out, both lightsaber and the force allowed.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By ShootingNova

Here we go again.

Now, this is partially a mismatch:

Round 1: Maul stomps. Marek's duelling skills were horrible.

Round 2: Marek wins, having a superior variety and supposedly level of Force Powers.

Round 3: Can go either way. If Maul closes in fast enough, Marek is done for. But Marek has powers that can keep Maul away, and while Maul has the ability to amp his kicks to the extent he can kick through torsos (and Marek has no resistance to physical attacks of such a calibre) his Force Powers could give him the win.

GodOfMischief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By GodOfMischief

I agree with Maul winning round 1, but I wouldn't say it's a definite stomp. Galen has beaten nearly all of Proxy's training programmes, most of them being some of the best duelists. I don't know how accurate Proxy's programming is but Galen did beat the Maul programme as well.

Sorry if this thread has been done before, I couldn't find any of this battle on the site.

jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jeanroygrant

BUMP.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ShootingNova

@GodOfMischief said:

I agree with Maul winning round 1, but I wouldn't say it's a definite stomp. Galen has beaten nearly all of Proxy's training programmes, most of them being some of the best duelists. I don't know how accurate Proxy's programming is but Galen did beat the Maul programme as well.

Sorry if this thread has been done before, I couldn't find any of this battle on the site.

And the Maul programme is nowhere near as powerful as the normal Maul is, unless you can provide feats or quotes to back that up.

Maul has shown far better duelling skills than Marek.

GodOfMischief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GodOfMischief

Well unless it's confirmed anywhere how accurate Proxy's programming is then I guess we'll never know. I'm just saying I wouldn't underestimate Galen as a duelist, also like Maul he's been trained to hone his lightsaber skills since he was a child. I'm not saying Maul wouldn't win, just saying he wouldn't do it easily.

JamesKM716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By JamesKM716

Marek wins all three.

He beat Vader in a duel, which is saying something.

He pulled down a friggin Star Destroyer.

Combine both and he wins easily.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ShootingNova

@JamesKM716 said:

Marek wins all three.

No, he doesn't.

He beat Vader in a duel, which is saying something.

You mean barely defeating a disinterested Vader by drawing on the Emperor? Great.

He pulled down a friggin Star Destroyer.

No, he didn't. You need to read the novelization/relevant source material, because he only guided it towards the Junk Canon. This has been explained on this site countless times.

Combine both and he wins easily.

No, he does not win easily in any way.

I'm getting tired of this, and can do this.

JamesKM716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JamesKM716

barely defeating is still defeating. how did you know that Vader's disinterested or drawing on the Emperor? (is that in the novelization?)

Ah, my apologies, i only played the game. (that sounded sarcastic, sorry i wasn't being sarcastc)

Perhaps not an easy win, but i would still argue that he does win.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ShootingNova

@JamesKM716: Yes it is. Reading the novelization and other various relevant source material would be the case. The game does not provide the canonical information. Marek can win, but Maul wins 6-7/10. At the beginning, when Marek was duelling Vader, he was being overwhelmed and he was desperate.

Regardless, that feat is not qualified since Vader was not in his prime and was not going 100%.

JamesKM716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JamesKM716

Isn't desperation part of a battle though?

When you say Vader's not in his prime are you refering to his prime being when he was Anakin? if not when is the specific time that he's strongest as Vader?

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ShootingNova

@JamesKM716: Not always, if it's a blinkstomp etc.

No, Vader was not in his prime around that time since it wasn't even EP IV yet. Beyond that, EP V-EP VI would be the time I consider Vader at his prime.

I'm not making a reference to Anakin, since he isn't in this fight. Potentially, Anakin could defeat Vader due to superior speed/agility while Vader has superior experience, knowledge/wisdom etc. but that's off-topic.

Chronus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Chronus

Round 1: Maul

Round 2: Marek

Round 3: I'm going with Maul for this round. I don't think Marek's force powers would be enough for him to win against Darth Maul.

JamesKM716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JamesKM716

that's true.

okay, i wasn't sure since its supposed to be something like vader lost force potential and became weaker than teh emperor becasue of the loss of legs. blah. Not sure if that's true. but was curious.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ShootingNova

@JamesKM716: And? Anakin never achieved his full potential anyways. This is based on feats, not hypothetical claims.

@Chronus said:

Round 1: Maul

Round 2: Marek

Round 3: I'm going with Maul for this round. I don't think Marek's force powers would be enough for him to win against Darth Maul.

Agreed.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ShootingNova

@GodOfMischief said:

Well unless it's confirmed anywhere how accurate Proxy's programming is then I guess we'll never know. I'm just saying I wouldn't underestimate Galen as a duelist, also like Maul he's been trained to hone his lightsaber skills since he was a child. I'm not saying Maul wouldn't win, just saying he wouldn't do it easily.

Forgot to respond to this.

And we base it on feats/statements. Proxy was owned by Vader.

And your point is moot, as a child, Maul has fought with electrostaffs and accomplished far greater feats in saber duelling. In saber combat, he does win easily. Vader (who wasn't maxing out, and wasn't in his prime) was overwhelming Marek.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17  Edited By Deranged Midget

@ShootingNova: Ugh, you just had to.

Round 1 is a massive stomp in Maul's favour. Marek has zero feats to put him on Maul's level and even Proxy gave him trouble in a poor representation of the character.

Round 2: Maul isn't exactly impressive with the force nor does he really depend on it either for offensive attacks. Marek would barely garner an advantage here, but only slightly depending on the starting distance.

Round 3: Again, it truly depends on the starting distance but Maul could still take an advantage being far quicker and the far superior duelist. Closing the gap quickly and disallowing Marek the ability to lean on his force powers as a crutch would gain Maul the win.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ShootingNova

@Deranged Midget: I just had to what? Didn't you just say what I said?

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Marek had problems fighting PROXY as Maul. He isn't beating the real guy.

The only one he might win is the second round, but that's it.

And, yes, Marek is a crappy duelist. Read the book; he got owned in terms of lightsaber skills in every battle he ever had.

DAwNTEy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DAwNTEy

Boy this one is quite hard to predict

Round 1: Maul no doubt, he's a beast up close, maul novels show the things he learned as a kid

Round 2: Marek, he has acces to more Force powers than Maul

Round 3: Can go either way, hard to predict, Marek was pretty powerful in the force, and force speed is one of them, i don't think he would lose because of speed, if he loses to maul is due to lightsaber combat, however Marek also fought Shaak ti in her own grounds which was a difficult Mission, Shaak ti had Mind controlled the Alien Sarlacc to attack Marek while at the same time fight the Jedi Councilor, so i'll take Marek. I think he can hold off Maul in an all out battle.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Deranged Midget

@ShootingNova: Oh, it was nothing in regards to what you commented on, it's just regarding the ignorance of the users :/

Baldy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By Baldy

@ShootingNova said:

Here we go again.

Round 2: Marek wins, having a superior variety and supposedly level of Force Powers.

Round 3: Can go either way. If Maul closes in fast enough, Marek is done for. But Marek has powers that can keep Maul away, and while Maul has the ability to amp his kicks to the extent he can kick through torsos (and Marek has no resistance to physical attacks of such a calibre) his Force Powers could give him the win.

I agree with this. Maul is the second best duelist in Star Wars, only beaten by Revan.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ShootingNova

@Deranged Midget: Your utter modesty overshadows even mine :)

@Baldy: You're trying to give me an aneurism, aren't you?

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@Baldy said:

@ShootingNova said:

Here we go again.

I agree with this. Maul is the second best duelist in Star Wars, only beaten by Revan.

Heh, heh.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ShootingNova

@JediXMan: Don't tell me you're helping him?

Avatar image for speedforcespider
SpeedForceSpider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SpeedForceSpider

Round 1: Maul no doubt

Round 2: Starkiller. He has more raw power with the force

Round 3: I'll give it to Starkiller. Mainly because he is more versatile and that is his greatest strength.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@ShootingNova said:

Kinda just sittin' back at this point...

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ShootingNova

@JediXMan: Too bad I've already snatched the popcorn......

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Deranged Midget

@Baldy said:

Oh sweet mother of god...

@ShootingNova: Hah!

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ShootingNova

@Deranged Midget: LOL.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Deranged Midget

@SpeedForceSpider said:

Round 3: I'll give it to Starkiller. Mainly because he is more versatile and that is his greatest strength.

Versatile? Not likely. He was only ever slightly impressive with Force Lightning and that's because I'm being generous.

Maul has a fair chance of defeating Starkiller even in the third round depending on the starting distance. Maul's superior speed and agility would aid him in closing the distance and halting Marek's chances of unleashing any force attacks on him while he destroys him in saber combat.

Baldy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Baldy

@ShootingNova said:

I don't need help. Revan is the heart of the force.

"Revan was power. It was like staring into the heart of the Force. Even then, you could see the Jedi he would slay etched on his soul." ―Kreia

No Caption Provided

Maul uses his "Death Vision" to kill a powerful telepath.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ShootingNova

@Baldy: And you believe a broken old woman who is known for lying. Right. If you believe Kreia, then what else did Kreia say?

"You are greater than any I have ever trained."

-- Kreia, to Meetra Surik on Malachor V

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ShootingNova

@Baldy: And hopefully you aren't believing such a hyperbole statement? Because if you knew the Force, its transcendent. There is no "heart of the Force".

Baldy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Baldy

@ShootingNova said:

@Baldy: And you believe a broken old woman who is known for lying. Right. If you believe Kreia, then what else did Kreia say?

That's cause she realized she never trained Revan, he just allowed her to hang out with him for awhile and made it look like she was training him because he wanted to improve her self esteem. She was getting old, and didn't have anything left to live for. What's wrong with being nice to old people?

Are you suggesting we just ruin their lives with horrible cold truths? You are a mean, mean man.

@ShootingNova said:

@Baldy: And hopefully you aren't believing such a hyperbole statement? Because if you knew the Force, its transcendent. There is no "heart of the Force".

Pffft. Who am I to believe? Some guy on the internet, or the Master who trained the 'Heart of the Force".

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ShootingNova

@Baldy: Now you're being mean to Kreia, you meanie. She's blind and old, but not senile. She's quite wise, you know. I think you need to get out a bit more, don't you think? :)

Really, by all means, don't believe me. I'll just wait for you to read on the Force. Then you can chew on some glass.

Baldy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Baldy

@ShootingNova said:

@Baldy: Now you're being mean to Kreia, you meanie. She's blind and old, but not senile. She's quite wise, you know. I think you need to get out a bit more, don't you think? :)

Really, by all means, don't believe me. I'll just wait for you to read on the Force. Then you can chew on some glass.

Why go outside? My fridge isn't outside. My TV isn't outside. My comic collection isn't outside.

Outside is boring.

Also chewing on glass doesn't sound tasty at all. I think I'll stick with tacos.

Also...

"Only Revan was worthy of our respect. We swept throughout the Outer Rim without opposition—until Revan assumed command of the Republic forces. Only then did the battle turn."

―Canderous Ordo, to the Jedi Exile

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ShootingNova

@Baldy: The shops are outside. Then you can buy some SW guides and books and you'll be able to read up on the Force :)

Also, what are you trying to prove? That Revan is the most powerful Jedi/Sith in SW? That he's omnipotent?

Baldy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Baldy

@ShootingNova said:

@Baldy: The shops are outside. Then you can buy some SW guides and books and you'll be able to read up on the Force :)

Also, what are you trying to prove? That Revan is the most powerful Jedi/Sith in SW? That he's omnipotent?

Not trying to prove anything, just trolling out of bordom.

That said...

"You, Revan, are the single greatest warrior of this age, and any battle we fight will bring me honor."―Canderous Ordo

When did Canderous say this about Sidious or Luke? Never. That's when.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ShootingNova

@Baldy: Oh. Good to hear that.

Canderous lived when Palpatine and Luke did? He was wise? That's new to me. Can you point me to the sources where you got them from?

Baldy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Baldy

@ShootingNova said:

@Baldy: Oh. Good to hear that.

Canderous lived when Palpatine and Luke did? He was wise? That's new to me. Can you point me to the sources where you got them from?

Got what from? The quotes? Just stuff from the internet that people have posted in an effort to prove that "R3VAN=GRE3TAST EVAR".

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ShootingNova

@Baldy: :(

The quotes are from.... what was it? Jedi Academy? Yes, that must be the one.

But......... Kyle Katarn's beard soloes :)

Baldy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Baldy

@ShootingNova said:

@Baldy: :(

The quotes are from.... what was it? Jedi Academy? Yes, that must be the one.

I think Knights of the Old Republic is more likely.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ShootingNova

@Baldy: Right. Thanks for the clarification. :)

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@ShootingNova said:

She may have been right; not Kreia's fault that Karpyshyn is a fanboy.

Avatar image for deactivated-59c716930b8a6
deactivated-59c716930b8a6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. I believe Starkiller would win. Not only has Starkiller defeated Darth Vader before, he nearly killed the Emperor. Hes got to have lots of skill to do either of those.

2. Starkiller wins. Starkiller has shown greater feats with the force. He pulled down a HUGE star destroyer

3. Starkiller wins again. Combine what I said for rounds 1 and 2 and you'll know why I say he wins.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 JediXMan  Moderator

1. I believe Starkiller would win. Not only has Starkiller defeated Darth Vader before, he nearly killed the Emperor. Hes got to have lots of skill to do either of those.

2. Starkiller wins. Starkiller has shown greater feats with the force. He pulled down a HUGE star destroyer

3. Starkiller wins again. Combine what I said for rounds 1 and 2 and you'll know why I say he wins.

... No. Just no to this entire post.

I'm not even going to explain it. Just no.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@jedixman said:

@dreadpool10 said:

lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-59c716930b8a6
deactivated-59c716930b8a6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman said:

@dreadpool10 said:

Loading Video...

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 JediXMan  Moderator

@dreadpool10:

You post that video as if it's something I am unfamiliar with, or that I should be impressed by it.

Now, let me explain it:

1. Gameplay is not canon. That is gameplay, and therefore it is not applicable to this debate.
  2. The novelization and graphic novelized adaptations of the Force Unleashed make it quite clear that he is not pulling it down. He is simply guiding its direction; it was going to crash and hit the ground no matter what he did. And no, that's not a great feat in the grand scheme of things, and it is best left out of debates regarding Galen Marek.

Now that we have that out of the way - because I refuse to acknowledge the very inaccurate statement that he "almost beat" Palpatine (he did not. We're leaving that now) - let's move on:

1. Galen is a terrible duelist. He never bested anybody, except maybe PROXY, in a pure lightsaber duel.
  2. PROXY morphed into Darth Maul on Raxus Prime. Galen had a very hard time beating him - and no, it's not because "it was his friend." He had legitimate difficulty during that fight (again: read the book). Darth Maul has much more experience, skill, and ferocity than PROXY ever could. He would beat Galen.

And please do not try to claim that the novel is not canon, or that it is in some way below the game in levels of continuity. It's not. I will not debate this matter, because it really is a matter of correct and incorrect, not a matter of opinion.