Spider-Man VS Batman

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By renamed040924

This seems to be a very popular battle on Comicvine, and I can see why. They are, after all, unarguably the two most popular comic book characters, like, ever (sorry Supes), yet at the same time they're polar opposites. Batman is a dark, brooding, anti-hero; Spider-Man is a lighthearted, colorful wise cracker. Batman is fueled to fight crime by the day his parents were murdered right in front of his eyes; Spider-Man didn't even know his parents. Batman is a rich playboy, Spider-Man is a hop skip and a jump away from poverty.

They are without a doubt two of the greatest characters in all of fiction, with an assortment of dedicated fans on each side, so it's easy to see why we get a thread for them once a week. But, even though this particular battle is common, I have yet to see one where it's done right.

Now let's just be honest here. In a fight... Spider-Man grabs Batman by the head, throws him to the ground and, yes, you guessed it, stomps him. On the flipside, if Batman gets time to prepare as he normally would if this were to actually happen, he would stomp. Throughout every thread of this fight I've ever seen, it's always a stomp. Well, I'm here today to try and give you all a fair and realistic fight between these two, dictated by what I think, is the most general way this could actually happen in the comics. So, here I go.

THE SET-UP-

The Joker has traveled to NYC for unspecified reasons. Batman, thinking of the clown as his responsability, follows the madman.

Meanwhile, Norman Osborn is in his office plotting his next strike against Spider-Man. He somehow comes into contact with Joker, and the two get to talking. Joker claims that Batman can effortlessly curbstomp Spider-Man, while Osborn states that Spider-Man would beat Batman effortlessly while curbstomping. The two realize the only way to figure out who truly is superior, is to get them to fight. And that's what they do!

Brainwashing the vigilantes into thinking the other is there enemy, both combatants are dead set on taking the other down.

STIPULATIONS-

-While they are brainwashed, neither combatant loses his intellect or morals

-Both fighters prep for two weeks

-When it comes to it, the fighters will both be somewhere in NYC, so they will need to hunt each other down

-Both combatants will have as much info on the other as they would if they inhabited a shared universe

-Please, no Inside Suit or any BS like that. We all know that thing was just a terrible idea

-No outside help or interference

And I think that just about covers it. Who wins?

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By jashro44

So they have to use standered gear? Spiderman should win.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By Strider1992

This is close as Batman is very good with prep. Unfortunately for Bat's Parker is no slouch either and that on top of his powers should give him the win. Good fight but I think Peter's spider-sense etc.. give him the edge he needs. Realistically Batman should need more prep than Spider-man to cancel out his power advantage.

Avatar image for beautifulrevery
beautifulrevery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By beautifulrevery

Since Spider sense is such a closely guarded secret known only by peter himself, aunt may, MJ, and Tony in the Marvel Universe(I do believe) then that's the deciding factor here that will give the victory to Spidey in a close battle

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Shawnbaby

Peter may not be the prep master Batman is...but he's not exactly an amateur in that department. He still has all the physical advantages he always does.  
I still maintain that Batman needs to have a larger amount of prep time than Spider-Man in order to win a majority.

Avatar image for ancient_0f_days
Ancient_0f_Days

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ancient_0f_Days

@beautifulrevery said:

Since Spider sense is such a closely guarded secret known only by peter himself, aunt may, MJ, and Tony in the Marvel Universe(I do believe) then that's the deciding factor here that will give the victory to Spidey in a close battle

Spider-sense can be thrown off by smoke ..... so a simple smoke pellet (even if Batman doesn't know about SS) can make that less of a problem ....

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By Strider1992

@Ancient_0f_Days said:

@beautifulrevery said:

Spider-sense can be thrown off by smoke ..... so a simple smoke pellet (even if Batman doesn't know about SS) can make that less of a problem ....

Spider-sense has never been thrown off by normal smoke ever. Its always been some kind of drug the enemy has prepped with.

Avatar image for henryarguelles5
henryarguelles5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By henryarguelles5

@nickzambuto: Very good set-up.

Avatar image for ancient_0f_days
Ancient_0f_Days

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ancient_0f_Days

@Strider92 said:

@Ancient_0f_Days said:

@beautifulrevery said:

Spider-sense has never been thrown off by normal smoke ever. Its always been some kind of drug the enemy has prepped with.

So ... Mysterio always has a specialized chemical smoke that he uses specifically for spider man every time he uses a smoke bomb on him?? doubt it ....

Even so, everyone knows bats has an array of chemical gasses like nerve gas, tear gas etc ... which would work just as well .....

Sufferthorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sufferthorn

Spiderman is not a research master. Batman is, he will analyize every move Spidey has, his weaknesses, and his habits.

When Batman and Martian Manhunter first met, he deduced that he was a telepath. If he watchs footage of Spiderman, he may be able to deduce that Peter has a precognition ability, or is perhaps very well skilled in reflex. Who knows.

The only thing i'm wondering about is his belt...i mean...Bruce Wayne is the Master at pulling stuff out of his rear-end. THE Master

When it comes to Strength, Speed and Durability, Batman has nothing on Spidey(basicly anything physical), in a straight-up fight with no preptime, I am confident that Peter WOULD curbstomp.

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_

@beautifulrevery said:

Are you kidding me? He mentions the spider-sense outloud every five minutes. Batman takes this

henryarguelles5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By henryarguelles5

Intellect intact and two weeks to prep...Batman wins. Peter is many things, but he's not a strategist like Batman.

ChaosMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ChaosMarvel

Basically repeating whats already been said. Batman would need more prep than Spider-man to properly overcome his physical abilities. So Spider-man should take this.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JonSmith

@nickzambuto: Well done, Nick!

On topic, while they may only have the same level of knowledge as they would as comrade superheroes, Batman is a detective. He'd do extensive research on Spidey, while Spidey would only be able to get the basics. Spidey's well known in New York, he's looked to as an icon. Batman's considered an urban legend by those who've never seen him, and some kind of monster by those who have. Batman's a skilled interrogator and investigator. Spidey's a scientist. Bats has no real weaknesses to exploit. Spidey has superpowers. Spidey may have equal prep, but there's nothing for him to prep AGAINST. How do you prep against boomerangs? Or a grappel gun? Spidey wouldn't have the information on Bats, and wouldn't be able to get it. Bats, on the other hand, will have proportionately much more. So while the fight may drag on as Bats lures the web-head to his trap, Spidey's going down eventually.

ximpossibrux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ximpossibrux

Two weeks of prep for Batman. Dude it's over.

If Batman is dead set of taking Spiderman down, you better believe he's gonna be in the Batcave for the whole 2 weeks, working out every angle getting the right equipment.

Honestly Batman would know Spiderman has Spiderpowers, he would study him from news reports, get samples of his webbings, and research all weaknesses and edges against Spiders.

And Batman has unlimited resources.

Batman wins this with 2 weeks prep.

Sufferthorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sufferthorn

@JonSmith:

Your arguement was strong untill you used the words Boomerangs and Grapple Guns. Those are easilly thwarted by Spiderman.

Think bigger.

darktiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By darktiger

@jashro44: agreed spidey wins

karetaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By karetaker

@ChaosMarvel: why would he need more prep. if he xan do more with the same amount of time.

society619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By society619

I hate the "Batman + Prep = Automatic Win" argument, its SEVERELY overused, not to mention Peter gets two weeks prep too and he is no dummy. Spiderman is faster, more agile, more durable, stronger, Spider-Sense and what appears to be an unlimited ranged weapon(webbing). Batman can set in his room and "prep" all he wants...he's outmatched here.

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Shawnbaby
@karetaker said:

@ChaosMarvel: why would he need more prep. if he xan do more with the same amount of time.

The problem is that he can't do more with the same amount of time. Bruce beats Peter in a lot of ways mentally...but when it comes to Science...Peter has the advantage. And right now Peter has some incredible resources at his disposal. Added to this is the fact that Spidey will be fighting on home turf and is impossible to sneak up on. 
renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By renamed040924

@beautifulrevery said:

What? EVERYONE knows Peter has spider-sense, I'm aware that Peter himself claimed only Aunt May, MJ, and Tony know about it, but that is straight up BS. "MY SPIDER SENSE IS TINGLING" is his catch phrase. Not to mention the fact that Mysterio, Green Goblin, Chameleon, and even Electro have made mention and countered said power before, and I gotta say it shouldn't be to hard for Batman to do the same.

@henryarguelles5 said:

@nickzambuto: Very good set-up.

:)

@henryarguelles5 said:

Intellect intact and two weeks to prep...Batman wins. Peter is many things, but he's not a strategist like Batman.

Peter is a very good prepper. Just ask Rhino, Electro, Vulture, Norman Osborn, Doc Ock, Venom, Morlun, and probably many others.

karetaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By karetaker

@society619: batman with 2 weeks prep wins.be has beat darkseid superman flash and many ppl who out class spidey using prep. i dont like that its a win button but he has it. in 2 weeks he xould build 14 sentinels from a x men comic to do the work for him

leesh100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By leesh100

batman would have to do significantly more research as he is in what is spiderman's home turf, spiderman would know every nook and cranny as batman would have 2 weeks to learn the whole city, on top of learning all about spiderman, he may be king at investigating but there are only so many hours in a day, all spiderman would have to do is learn about batman and figure out how to beat him, simple logic

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By nefarious

I'm going with Spider-Man. He is good with prep, too.

karetaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By karetaker

@Shawnbaby: he has more resources and can do more.let me see how long it takes spidey to get a peace of kryptonite to beat superman....forever.bats would have it in a day after making a phone call as bruce wayne

beautifulrevery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By beautifulrevery

Considering the arguments posed here by other members of the Vine I would like to still state that Spider-sense is going to be a pretty game changing ability. Even if the master detective finds out that he does have some form of precognitive ability he may not be able to find a way to overcome it.

henryarguelles5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By henryarguelles5

@society619: I don't think there's been a biased argument here so far.

I agree that if they were dropped into a battlefield and forced to fight, Spider-Man would win 10/10...but Batman is intelligent and resourceful enough that with two weeks, he can set up enough traps and contingencies to beat Spider-Man. Let's be real here: Parker wouldn't really sweat some guy with fancy weapons - he takes them down all the time. But Batman's best weapon is his mind: planning and preparing. Batman would turn all of New York into a battlefield, and while the Spider-Sense helps...it has been overwhelmed and overcome, chemically or otherwise: Peter DOES get hit after all, so it's not 100%. And...Batman will cheat. Gas, extreme physical abuse...hell, even calling in Superman to step in, like Black lightning did when he fought Karate kid. I have to give it to Batman in this battle.

karetaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By karetaker

here is an example of how bats can win with prep. he can load the bat jet or w.e with enough knock out gas to hit 6 city blocks at once and easily take out spider man. this is somthing spidy can not do because he does not have the resources. not only can bats do more with the same amount of prep he can do more with less. he could do this same plan i just stated with 5 days

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By WaveMotionCannon
@society619

I hate the "Batman + Prep = Automatic Win" argument, its SEVERELY overused, not to mention Peter gets two weeks prep too and he is no dummy. Spiderman is faster, more agile, more durable, stronger, Spider-Sense and what appears to be an unlimited ranged weapon(webbing). Batman can set in his room and "prep" all he wants...he's outmatched here.

This. Peter is not the strategist Bats is but he's at least as if not smarter and a focused Spidey is a dangerous Spidey. Besides of he gets any where near Bats he breaks him in half.
renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By renamed040924

@beautifulrevery said:

Considering the arguments posed here by other members of the Vine I would like to still state that Spider-sense is going to be a pretty game changing ability. Even if the master detective finds out that he does have some form of precognitive ability he may not be able to find a way to overcome it.

Mysterio, Green Goblin, Chameleon, and Alistair Smythe were all more than capable of concocting some form of drug to eliminate Peter's spider sense.

@karetaker said:

here is an example of how bats can win with prep. he can load the bat jet or w.e with enough knock out gas to hit 6 city blocks at once and easily take out spider man. this is somthing spidy can not do because he does not have the resources. not only can bats do more with the same amount of prep he can do more with less. he could do this same plan i just stated with 5 days

That plan just has so many holes it's not even funny.

society619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By society619

@karetaker said:

You really think Batman is going to gas 6 blocks worth of innocents JUST to find and hit Spiderman. That wouldn't be very smart for 2 week prep master thinker. And as for Superman or the X-Men helping Batman there is no interference. I mean what's stopping Peter from calling in Hulk or Ironman to back him up?

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Shawnbaby
@karetaker said:

@Shawnbaby: he has more resources and can do more.let me see how long it takes spidey to get a peace of kryptonite to beat superman....forever.bats would have it in a day after making a phone call as bruce wayne

Since kyptonite doesn't exist in Spidey's universe that's an incredibly unfair comparison. 
And Batman already has Kyptonite. Superman gave it to him.
karetaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By karetaker

@society619: @nickzambuto: @Shawnbaby: it was just an hypothetical situation to show that bats has more resources at his disposal

and i never said anything about superman or the xmen helping anybody

Sufferthorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Sufferthorn

....Batman WITH prep.

Spiderman WITHOUT prep.

Batman wins.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By renamed040924

@karetaker said:

@society619: @nickzambuto: @Shawnbaby: it was just an hypothetical situation to show that bats has more resources at his disposal

and i never said anything about superman or the xmen helping anybody

Spider-Man has plenty of resources now that he's at stars labs. I'll admit Bruce does have more though.

society619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By society619

@nickzambuto said:

@beautifulrevery said:

Mysterio, Green Goblin, Chameleon, and Alistair Smythe were all more than capable of concocting some form of drug to eliminate Peter's spider sense.

@karetaker said:

Well let's not act like Batman's villains haven't found holes in his prep too. Goes both ways

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By renamed040924

@society619 said:

@nickzambuto said:

@beautifulrevery said:

@karetaker said:

Well let's not act like Batman's villains haven't found holes in his prep too. Goes both ways

I'm not sure what you're saying here. Are you responding to what I said about spider sense or about the knock out gas plan? If it's the former, that has nothing to do with prep, just saying people have found a way around Peter's spider sense before, so Batman could to.

If it's the latter, I still don't know what you mean.

society619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By society619

Worst thing DC did was allow Batman to beat Superman because now some people thinks he's invincible. I mean its not like Batman and Supes fought each other in their undies because Wayne is getting eye lasered if that happened.

society619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By society619

@nickzambuto said:

@society619 said:

@nickzambuto said:

@beautifulrevery said:

@karetaker said:

I'm not sure what you're saying here. Are you responding to what I said about spider sense or about the knock out gas plan? If it's the former, that has nothing to do with prep, just saying people have found a way around Peter's spider sense before, so Batman could to.

If it's the latter, I still don't know what you mean.

I was saying it's not like Batman has never been figured out before. Both Spidey's and Bruce's enemies have gotten the best of them before it shouldn't only be a mark against Peter.

karetaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By karetaker

@nickzambuto: oh btw can u point out the holes in the knockout gas idea

SpideyPresence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SpideyPresence

The Spidey side in me says "Spidey stomps everyone."

The logical side in me says "Giving Bruce 2 weeks of prep is to much."

>_<

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Shawnbaby
@karetaker said:

@nickzambuto: oh btw can u point out the holes in the knockout gas idea

How about the fact that Batman would never do anything like that in Character
renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By renamed040924

@SpideyPresence said:

The Spidey side in me says "Spidey stomps everyone."

The logical side in me says "Giving Bruce 2 weeks of prep is to much."

>_<

The Spidey side of you should know that Peter is a great prepper :P

karetaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By karetaker

@Shawnbaby: he said there was a flaw in the idea itself. i already told you it was just a hypothetical scenario

beautifulrevery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By beautifulrevery

@nickzambuto said:

@beautifulrevery said:

@karetaker said:

To counter that each of those villians has battled Spider-man for years. Not just a first time with 2 weeks of prep time. Not to say batman couldn't do it but it's unlikely in my opinion

SpideyPresence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SpideyPresence

@nickzambuto: But the Spidey side doesn't know if he's a better prepper than Bats >.<

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Shawnbaby
@karetaker said:

@Shawnbaby: he said there was a flaw in the idea itself. i already told you it was just a hypothetical scenario

Oh there is more than one flaw in that scenario. But the fact that Batman wouldn't engage in a terrorist attack against New York City ranks pretty high among them.
renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By renamed040924

@beautifulrevery said:

@nickzambuto said:

@beautifulrevery said:

To counter that each of those villians has battled Spider-man for years. Not just a first time with 2 weeks of prep time. Not to say batman couldn't do it but it's unlikely in my opinion

Mysterio did it in his very first encounter with Spider-Man, and it didn't take Chameleon or Gobby long either.

@SpideyPresence said:

@nickzambuto: But the Spidey side doesn't know if he's a better prepper than Bats >.<

And that's why this is such a good battle ;)

society619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By society619

Peter should just shoot Bruce in the face...pretty sure he won't prep for that :P

AKA_TERMINATOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By AKA_TERMINATOR