Speed feat debate. Hulk vs Spider Man

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Me and my boy (who shall remain un named lol) was thinking if people really feel Hulk is as fast, or faster than Spider Man.

Well comic fans, there is TONS of speed feats for both. Who is faster overall?

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for midnightdragon18
midnightdragon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Spider-Man is consistently faster, hulk has a few pis feats here and there

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 thedailybagel  Moderator

Hulk is faster when morals off or fighting someone where he actually needs his speed. In a morals on, 1 vs 1 scenario Peter is probably faster combat speed wise because hulk limits himself in like 3 different ways when fighting most street levelers.

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 thedailybagel  Moderator

@sirfizzwhizz: have you been lurking the hulk vs doomsday thread?

Kennethmaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hulk is faster morals off he limits himself agains opponents that worth his time

CitizenSentry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Hulk is faster when morals off or fighting someone where he actually needs his speed. In a morals on, 1 vs 1 scenario Peter is probably faster combat speed wise because hulk limits himself in like 3 different ways when fighting most street levelers.

QFT.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 juiceboks  Moderator

Basically.

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 thedailybagel  Moderator

@sirfizzwhizz: I dont think it was made recently, but it's been really active and that's where I assumed you got the idea for this thread since me and vance were talking about it as well as tons of other people in the thread.

MikeHoolihan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MikeHoolihan

Spiderman is faster at the start and then Hulk can surpass Peter's speed by getting angry. Their combat speed is very close though.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Hulk has faster movement speed, Peter has faster reactions and combat speed.

TheGrayGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheGrayGhost

One of these guys has actual speed feats outside of tagging fast people

The other is Hulk

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laflux said:

I agree with this.

Spiderman1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Spiderman1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pure speed like who can get from point a to point b first assuming its a long distance hulk wins but in a fight reactions, agility, spider-man wins

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By thedailybagel  Moderator

@thegrayghost: thats odd, I distinctly remember hulk having speed feats outside of just tagging people as well. Guess I don't know what I'm talking about.

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Heatblaze

@jashro44 said:
@laflux said:

I agree with this.

phantomjolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By phantomjolt

The hulk always has to restrain himself from harming people so it makes sense that its more difficult for him to move around unlike spiderman.

Avatar image for kindofcomicdaniel
kindofcomicdaniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Not only does the Hulk, but also any heavyweight from marvel.

Example: Juggernaut, Thanos, Thor, Beta Ray Bill, Abomination and even Odin.

Enormous destructive power and physical strength, but very slow in combat speed.

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By pooty

If it's a race from New York to New Jersey then Hulk wins.

Spidey is far more agile which allows him to have greater combat/reaction speed

Jacthripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Classic Hulk is slow as a snail.

Indestructible Hulk is blur speed IIRC.

TheGrayGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thedailybagel: Such as ....?

And by that I mean feats comparable to say even Wolverine ...much less Spider-Man

MikeHoolihan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MikeHoolihan

@jashro44 said:
@laflux said:

I agree with this.

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By thedailybagel  Moderator

@thegrayghost: depends if you want travel speed or reaction speed.

But if you want combat/reactionhe's done things like dodge hits from wolverine as grey hulk and block spideys webshooters after they've been fired (which in the same storyline were apparently outpacing explosions). he's dodged hits from speedfreek, speedfreek even commenting "you can't keep that up forever!" Or something along those lines, in hulks slowest incarnation as well (proffesor hulk), or under waid he was doing fast things all the time like easily keeping pace with mjolnir after thor called it or reacting to a plane appearing out of nowhere a few feet from a group of soldiers, whilst hulk was a good 20 metres away and had his back turned whilst focused on something else; that's like a second at max to react with your attention on something else and move 20 metres, but he got there with time to spare as well. He's always being doing things roughly around that level and it got more consistent during waids run.

In terms of travel speed he's easily outraced modern military jets and when jumping has left the atmosphere multiple times (which requires you to be moving at mach 34 at least).

Chazz85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spiderman has some ridiculous reaction feats and insane combat speed. Everyone knows of the scan were he dodged like 30 lasers at once ik there not lightspeed but hell thats a good feat. So peter probably.

TheGrayGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thedailybagel: So in summation your examples are:

1. Tagging a fast character (Logan)

2. Reacting to something with nebulous speed ( web shooters, incidentally a scan of link of that?) against ....a fast character ( Pete)

3. Tagging a fastER character ( Speed Demon )

4. Keeping pace with something that is at the very least near light speed . Do you feel Hulk can run at near light speed ?

Or , if Mjolnir wasn't going at its usual " crosses interstellar distances " speeds , how fast was it going ? Based on what ? What even makes it a feat then if it's some nebulous , arbitrary number you come up with ?

5. The plane feat doesn't sound like anything impressive if he got an entire second to react . Especially since it sounds like he jumped or something . Which given his jumping feats , is really no big deal

Finally travel speed is largely meaningless in debates of these nature .....buuut just to note , Mach 34 or otherwise, jumping has pretty much nothing to do with speed and everything to do with leg strength . Which given how strong the Hulk is , sure he can jump into space

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My interpretation has always been that due to his incredible muscle power, Hulk does possess a large degree of superhuman speed. That IS what determines speed after all, your muscles.

Reflexes however are a separate thing entirely. Those have nothing to do with your muscles, they are determined by your senses and your brain. Hulk only has enhanced muscles and power, nothing to do with his perception or brain speed, therefore he does not possess superhuman reflexes, and his superhuman speed is only a byproduct of his muscle power.

Hulk is a good example of the difference between travel speed and combat speed.

YodaPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for bullet_to_the_head
Bullet_to_the_Head

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kindofcomicdaniel: Beta Ray Bill has Nano second reaction time :/ He is much faster than thor

Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Mortein

Speed is a complicated business.

There are plenty of things we might be referring to when we talk about the speed of comic book characters, for example long distance travel speed, short distance travel speed, reaction time, thinking speed, acceleration, deceleration, speed of the punch/kick, number of punches per second, evasiveness, agility etc.

All these thing could fall under the category of speed, but they are all different, and not equally valuable in battle.

Long distance travel speed - Hulk

Short distance travel speed - Hulk

Reaction time - Spider-man

Thinking speed - Spider-man

Acceleration - Hulk

Deceleration - Spider-man

Speed of the punch/kick - Hulk

Number of punches per second - Spider-man

Evasiveness - Spider-man

Agility - Spider-man

Spider-man also has a precognition which helps to a lot when he performs his speed feats.

GhostRavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By GhostRavage

Hulk is as fast as he needs to be.

Khael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laflux said:

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By thedailybagel  Moderator

@thegrayghost: holy hell try to read this time

1. No, I said the word DODGE, not 'tag' or 'hit', DODGE. You know, like the word avoid? You do know what dodge means right? How the hell did you gather the word 'tag' from the word 'dodge'?

2. Feel free to research how fast they are but I explicitly stated that in said story arc they were supposedly outpacing explosions. Anyway, link:

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/11111/111113173/4449852-hulk349_03a.jpg

3. Again, where the hell are you getting that I said 'tag' here? I said 'dodge' and speedfreek himself said that he can't keep it up forever, implying that he knew he couldn't land a hit until hulk made a mistake or until he got tired. And in the instance, yes speedfreek possessed more speed (which isn't bad since proffesor hulk is probably hulks slowest incarnation), but hulk was still fast enough to react and dodge hits multiple times. And IIRC speedfreek has also fought spiderman, granted I don't know how that encounter went.

4. Again, no, I don't think it was moving at lightspeed, I do however think it was moving at hypersonic speeds at least since it was a decent distance away and got to thor in a panel. Maybe a bit slower.

5. It was just a figure of speech. A plane (in motion, at full speed) appeared out of nowhere just a foot or two away from a group of soldiers, hulk was a good 20 metres behind said soldiers and was midway through interrogating someone with his back to the plane. He didn't take literally a second to react, the plane needed to cover 2 feet at full speed, would that take a second for most large planes? And no, hulk didn't jump, he just straight up ran whilst the soldiers were frozen in place and stopped the plane before it had moved a few inches.

I literally never said it did and specifically mentioned 'if you want travel speed..."

MikeHoolihan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That sounds like a Screw Attack Death Battle quote. Is that real?

Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, Hulk is as slow and as fast as plot needs him to be.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And Superman is limitless :)

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 thedailybagel  Moderator

@nickzambuto: that completely goes against him reacting to things in and out of combat that would require people to have huge amounts of reaction speed to do.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GhostRavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mortein: Even though you could say he acts slow because of plot, he's been consistent on tagging really fast characters when they were using their speed and none of them have claimed he's slow, on the other hand we have several statements claiming Hulk subconsciously holds back against literally everybody and even more so against people close to Banner, the fact Daredevil can call him down by talking, her cousin, even Spider-Man means they have a lot more control over him, it was explicitly stated that way in Indestructible Hulk #9. All in all, i think it's more accurate to say Hulk is a fast character that doesn't overuses his speed against slow or weaker characters.

GhostRavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By GhostRavage

@sirfizzwhizz: That's actually a Superman quote, but it fits Hulk way better than Clark. It was more like a joke. Hulk is really fast reaction wise but when things turn into an insane level like lightspeed and beyond he surely has no business there.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirfizzwhizz: That's actually a Superman quote, but it fits Hulk way better than Clark. It was more like a joke. Hulk is really fast reaction wise but when things turn into an insane level like lightspeed and beyond he surely has no business there.

Well its Hulks quote too, the Madder he get, ect. No limits in that quote of his :)

GhostRavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirfizzwhizz: Well, it's not inaccurate and surely not a NLF. It is completely fine and true to say "The madder he gets, the stronger he gets" because that's actually how his powerset works.

Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mortein: Even though you could say he acts slow because of plot, he's been consistent on tagging really fast characters when they were using their speed and none of them have claimed he's slow, on the other hand we have several statements claiming Hulk subconsciously holds back against literally everybody and even more so against people close to Banner, the fact Daredevil can call him down by talking, her cousin, even Spider-Man means they have a lot more control over him, it was explicitly stated that way in Indestructible Hulk #9. All in all, i think it's more accurate to say Hulk is a fast character that doesn't overuses his speed against slow or weaker characters.

The problem is that really slow characters were consistently shown to be able to avoid Hulk for extended period of time. I could understand that Hulk sometimes holds back against SM, but why would he hold back against Wolverine, why not just speed blitz him?

Also pretty much any super fast Marvel character has been tagged by subsonic slowpokes.

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 thedailybagel  Moderator

@jashro44: back in PADs run, I can't remember the issue number. GR or acidskull might know it.

How did spidey do when they fought?

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 thedailybagel  Moderator
GhostRavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mortein said:
@ghostravage said:

The problem is that really slow characters were consistently shown to be able to avoid Hulk for extended period of time. I could understand that Hulk sometimes holds back against SM, but why would he hold back against Wolverine, why not just speed blitz him?

Also pretty much any super fast Marvel character has been tagged by subsonic slowpokes.

He already has on 3 different occasions.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers