Several questions/problems

Argentum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Argentum

Don't know if this should be on the Bug Reporting, Gen.Discussion or Battle page...but I have a few questions and problems (grievances actually) with the Superpowers Battle page.

1) Could someone explain the "+ / -" and "Games Behind" columns?

2) Does the program keep count of which battles I have voted for? Sometimes it appears that it does, sometimes it appears that it doesn't.

I have discovered that voting on fights a second time does not register (i.e. the 'wins' and 'losses' does not change, and I do know that the changes don’t happen immediately)…that would mean that something keeps tabs on what I have done.

If that is the case then I find it strange that I am constantly given the same fights to vote for…and since the fights always come in the (more or less) same order I must work myself through all the fights I have already done until I find a new opponent. This means that since there are hundreds of characters with the Superstrength power it will take me hours to find a fight that registers. This is truly annoying.

On the other hand, I get the "No one else seems to have this power yet!" but only with certain characters and powers. For example, if I chose the power Invisibility and Invisible Woman as the character the first fight is always IW vs. Marvel Girl, the second fight is IW vs. Dr. Druid, and then I get the "No one else seems to have this power yet!" However, I know I have never had IW face Deadman or Tygra.

On the other, if I chose Marvel Girl I get to pit her against every character with the Invisibility power before it tells me that there's no one left. And despite voting it has no effect on the wins/losses chart as I have already voted before.

Another problem with the "No one else…" is that sometimes it appears immediately after a few battles. Going back to the character and starting all over again usually helps.

Could all these problems be Netscape related?

3) How can the 'losses' number drop? At one point (yesterday) Thanos (Superstrength) had 79 losses and today he had 60.

4) This seems to be a Netscape/Mozilla problem: Hitting the "See Who Wins" button or the "Skip" buttons does not work properly. If I hit one of the buttons, the button jumps down and to the left. At the same time, some of the powers above jump out from their green borders/boxes (so instead of occupying one line, the power covers three lines, the first line has the thumbs and the left, upper and lower green lines, the second line has the power name, and the third line has the right end of the green box.).

Sometimes I manage to hit exactly the right place on the button and it works as it should. The right place to hit the 'See Who Wins' button is somewhere between the letters 'H' and 'I' but this seem to vary. It never works on the first time if I hit the "See" part. Consequently, I have to click the button three to five times.

5) Does the page allow characters to face each other if they don't have the same powers? I think it would be nice if that would be possible (e.g. a character with only superstrength vs. a character with only superspeed). I mean, doing "If they could use all their powers who would win?" battles.

Mighty Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Mighty Magneto

I'm interested in this as well what are the anwers

The Voidwalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By The Voidwalker

I think the games behind column is how many games that character needs to win before they are in 1st place, not how many games they are behind the next higher ranked character.

The Voidwalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By The Voidwalker

Although I could be completely wrong.
Post Edited:2007-02-06 21:10:15

Mighty Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mighty Magneto

Hmmm that anwers a small part of this any of the big wigs got any ideas

Mighty Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mighty Magneto

How do the Power Rankings work? How Accurate are they?

First off, the power rankings are for fun, and while we love the debate that centers around them please do not expect to see anything more then a generalized idea of the strengths of certain characters. They are re-sorted every 10 minutes based upon the battles that take place and how users vote. We use a baseball formula to account for characters who have been in differing amounts of matches.

The Voidwalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The Voidwalker

Also just to throw in there, having a preview button next to the post reply button would be nice, just to make sure all your links are in order, then we wouldn't have to edit as often.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf392a6a3b92
deactivated-5bf392a6a3b92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

I dunno. Hopefully one of the moderators can get on here and shed some light.

Mighty Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mighty Magneto

Yeah i hope

Argentum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Argentum

Helloooo, anybody out there?

I know the battles are just for fun, but the problems I wrote about in my first post have kept me away from voting. I mean, what's the point to click until my hand hurts (i.e. vote) if my votes do not count?

It would be nice to get an answer...

Mighty Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mighty Magneto

Its as if we talk to the comic vine gods and no one hears us.

Avatar image for captain_cascader
Captain Cascader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Captain Cascader

Argentum says:

1) Could someone explain the "+ / -" and "Games Behind" columns?

It's a baseball ranking system. Basically it's the best way we could think to rank based upon characters being in a widely varying number of total battles. The +/- is the number of games ahead or behind of .500 a character is. Games behind is how many wins a character would need to catch up to first place.

2) Does the program keep count of which battles I have voted for? Sometimes it appears that it does, sometimes it appears that it doesn't.I have discovered that voting on fights a second time does not register (i.e. the 'wins' and 'losses' does not change, and I do know that the changes don’t happen immediately)…that would mean that something keeps tabs on what I have done.

Yes, though if you attack from different characters. Hulk vs Yoda as opposed to Yoda vs Hulk, it might ask you to revote, or if you started by ranking from the super strength ability as opposed to intellect. In any case your scores will never double count for anything as you'd essentially just overwrite the same answer.

If that is the case then I find it strange that I am constantly given the same fights to vote for…and since the fights always come in the (more or less) same order I must work myself through all the fights I have already done until I find a new opponent. This means that since there are hundreds of characters with the Superstrength power it will take me hours to find a fight that registers. This is truly annoying.

You might want to try battling from a different starting character.

On the other hand, I get the "No one else seems to have this power yet!" but only with certain characters and powers. For example, if I chose the power Invisibility and Invisible Woman as the character the first fight is always IW vs. Marvel Girl, the second fight is IW vs. Dr. Druid, and then I get the "No one else seems to have this power yet!" However, I know I have never had IW face Deadman or Tygra.On the other, if I chose Marvel Girl I get to pit her against every character with the Invisibility power before it tells me that there's no one left. And despite voting it has no effect on the wins/losses chart as I have already voted before.Another problem with the "No one else…" is that sometimes it appears immediately after a few battles. Going back to the character and starting all over again usually helps.Could all these problems be Netscape related?

Woah, Netscape? Really? We'll look into this. I can see the annoyance.

3) How can the 'losses' number drop? At one point (yesterday) Thanos (Superstrength) had 79 losses and today he had 60.

Someone voted differently then they did previously

4) This seems to be a Netscape/Mozilla problem: Hitting the "See Who Wins" button or the "Skip" buttons does not work properly. If I hit one of the buttons, the button jumps down and to the left. At the same time, some of the powers above jump out from their green borders/boxes (so instead of occupying one line, the power covers three lines, the first line has the thumbs and the left, upper and lower green lines, the second line has the power name, and the third line has the right end of the green box.).Sometimes I manage to hit exactly the right place on the button and it works as it should. The right place to hit the 'See Who Wins' button is somewhere between the letters 'H' and 'I' but this seem to vary. It never works on the first time if I hit the "See" part. Consequently, I have to click the button three to five times.

If you really are using netscape I'd suggest a move to Firefox. Honestly we're just a two man group here. I try to check everything in IE, Firefox and Safari. I hear Opera works OK as well.

5) Does the page allow characters to face each other if they don't have the same powers? I think it would be nice if that would be possible (e.g. a character with only superstrength vs. a character with only superspeed). I mean, doing "If they could use all their powers who would win?" battles.

No but it's something we'd like to see added. It would also allow us to fight teams vs teams.

Argentum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Argentum

Thank you for the answers!

Argentum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Argentum

The Time Keeper says:

"If you really want an official answer, just ask one of the moderators for cryin' out loud! Sheesh."

...gee, thanks...that helped a lot...

The Rorschach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The Rorschach

WHat?

The_Scourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The_Scourge
The Rorschach said:
"WHat?"
You revive a 2 year old thread just to say what?