#1 Posted by BlitzSikes (1918 posts) - - Show Bio

Which of the two characters above have feats that make them the more durable character?

I know both are "Nuke" tankers but who has survived worse?

Who has taken worse damage and kept fighting?

Who has lived through the most damage?

Who has recovered faster after being near absolute death?

#2 Posted by BruceRogers (16723 posts) - - Show Bio

Assuming Post Crisis is being counted as part of rebirth, Supes and Hulk are in the same tier of durability though Hulk has better damage soak by a comfortable margin. Due to pain tolerance and his healing factor.

#3 Posted by Thedailybagel (12477 posts) - - Show Bio

Raw durability is probably similar, hulk has better damage soak

#4 Posted by KanyeCosby (6274 posts) - - Show Bio

@brucerogers: I’m not going to put my opinion in yet, so I just have a question. You seem to be one of the more knowledgeable users on Hulk, so I wanted to ask if you could post some of Hulk’s best quantifiable and most consistent durability feats? There isn’t really a good thread for Savage Hulk that I could find.

#5 Posted by BruceRogers (16723 posts) - - Show Bio

@kanyecosby: Sure thing, I will see what I can do once on my computer.

#6 Posted by KanyeCosby (6274 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00
#7 Posted by deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00 (10000 posts) - - Show Bio

Counting Post Crisis/New 52/Rebirth, they have similar durability, however Hulk has better damage soak.

#8 Posted by BruceRogers (16723 posts) - - Show Bio

@kanyecosby: No problem and here are some durability feats by this version of Hulk, both pre and post core breach. I have divided them into categories for smooth reading, though there will be overlaps of course. I have listed issue numbers in the spoiler blocks.

a) Blunt force - Hulk has the 'usual' blunt force invulnerability feats like no selling missiles, explosions, falls from orbit etc. Feats like these however stand out and are just a small example.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5

Scan 1 - From Tales to Astonish #89. The Stranger, who is a Galactus level cosmic entity, fails to overpower Hulk with a force that is strong enough to knock a planet off it's orbit. Hulk overcomes it until he increases the amount. And given the Stranger's power, it's definitely not a hyperbole. This is pre core breach Hulk btw.

Scan 2 and 3 - From Hulk vs Hercules: When Titans Collide. Hercules viciously pummels Hulk over 30 times to the face and still manages to lightly bloody him at best. Hulk casually bridges him over and swats him aside with a thunderclap. Hercules is comparable to Thor at least in terms of physical strength.

Scan 4 and 5 - From Hulk (2008) #24. An amped and enraged Red Hulk hits Hulk hard enough to cause a nuke sized explosion along with whatever collateral damage that would have been caused by his sheer might. How powerful is said sheer might?. Enough to cause magnitude 10.0 level earthquakes with his punches (From: Hulk (2008) #3) and shake the American continent while fighting the weaker Doc Green (From: Hulk(2014) #14 and #15). And that was when he was unamped. Hulk no sold his hits when he was amped.

b) Piercing - Hulk has the same kind of invulnerability to piercing objects like bullets, spears, arrows, shrapnel etc as any other powerhouse worth their salt. These feats however, stand out.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4

Scan 1 - From Hulk (2014) #1. A weakened Hulk is able to no sell Adamantium bullets.

Scan 2 - From Hulk vs Hercules: When Titans Collide. The enchanted spear of Ares breaks like a toothpick after making contact with his skin

Scan 3 and 4 - From Hulk (1968) #207. Valkyrie with the enchanted dragonfang could not even give him a papercut.

c) Energy - From ordinary grenades to island busting nukes, none of them have had any effect on him. This also extends to Johnny's nova blasts, lightning and absolute zero temperatures. Feats that stand out are-

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5

Scan 1 and 2 - From Indestructible Hulk #1. The Mad Thinker uses a quantum moulder that is based off Ultron's design. And what does Ultron need those for?. To soften and reshape Adamantium. The same metal that has withstood the heat of nukes and the Human Torch's nova with no damage, at the very least. Hulk shrugged it off with little effort.

Scan 3,4 and 5 - From Incredible Hulks #616. Hiro Kala's blasts do nothing but give Hulk a small nosebleed. What's so great about them?. Said blasts crack and break a mars sized planet as he duels with Skaar in the next couple of issues. A planetary feat.

Another feat possible planetary feat is from Hulk (2000) #105, where he survives the explosion of the warp core of the ship that marooned him on Sakaar. It's debatable because while the gamma energies from it did give him a perma amp, the concussive force was still cracking the tectonic plates of the entire planet. That is something he tanked.

Hope these do for now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b728068f211c
#9 Edited by deactivated-5b728068f211c (7069 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Posted by BruceRogers (16723 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Edited by KanyeCosby (6274 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by BruceRogers (16723 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by CaptFalcon725 (1116 posts) - - Show Bio

Savage Hulk was nearly blown to a skeleton but then his HF kicked in and fixed it in seconds. Superman has similar durability but I've never seen his HF do that.

Avatar image for _kingoflatveria
#14 Posted by _KingofLatveria (17936 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk has much better damage soak

#15 Posted by TheKinfing (11449 posts) - - Show Bio

Which of the two characters above have feats that make them the more durable character?

Superman or equal.

Hulk.

Superman.

Hulk by far.

#16 Posted by Cognitive (1488 posts) - - Show Bio

Assuming Post Crisis is being counted as part of rebirth, Supes and Hulk are in the same tier of durability though Hulk has better damage soak by a comfortable margin. Due to pain tolerance and his healing factor.

#17 Posted by Worldofthunder (4925 posts) - - Show Bio

@brucerogers said:

#18 Posted by EmpressOfDread (11963 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman or equal.

Hulk.

Superman.

Hulk by far.

#19 Posted by EmpressOfDread (11963 posts) - - Show Bio

Savage Hulk was nearly blown to a skeleton but then his HF kicked in and fixed it in seconds. Superman has similar durability but I've never seen his HF do that.

Superman does have a healing factor he is able to close open wounds rather quickly. But Hulks healing factor is much better accounting feats and showings and him being able to regenerate entire organs. Superman however does not get blown to skeleton by explosions, energy based attacks because his molecular structure is very dense. So even though he gets kod or passes out from the explosive force he does not get regeneration feats like Hulk does.