ROTS Darth Sidious vs the entire Jedi Council (except for Mace Windu and Yoda)

• 140 results
FatherChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
  • Instead of Mace Windu's strike team, Chancellor Palpatine is confronted by the entire High Council except for Mace Windu and Yoda.
  • All characters are as of ROTS (or Clone Wars if they died before Ep. 3)
  • The Council consists of:
    1. Ki-Adi-Mundi
    2. Plo Koon
    3. Eeth Koth
    4. Kit Fisto
    5. Adi Gallia
    6. Obi-Wan Kenobi
    7. Anakin Skywalker
    8. Agen Kolar
    9. Saesee Tiin
    10. Oppo Rancisis
    11. Shaak Tii
AlphaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By AlphaQ

The Council gangbang him. When he fought the Masters he used TP and psychology so that they didn't react in time (in the ROTS novel their reaction time is actually garbage, one of the corpses of the Masters hit the ground while under the influence of gravity in less time than it took for the other three to react, which speaks volumes of how thunderstruck/nerfed they were).

Avatar image for amethystgravity
AmethystGravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Given that Shaak Ti called the same masters that Palpatine blitzed some of the greatest in the order, IIRC, I don't see why Sidious wouldn't treat a fair number of them as fodder. That's besides the fact that Yoda could easily dodge three Jedi masters in a small area, and Sidious is obviously on par/superior to Yoda. Anakin presents difficulties, and if Sidious kills Kenobi, it could unleash Anakin's rage, but even then, I don't see the council prevailing against someone who could easily ragdoll most of them, disarm them with lightning, and dance around their attacks.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@alphaq said:

The Council gangbang him. When he fought the Masters he used TP and psychology so that they didn't react in time (in the ROTS novel their reaction time is actually garbage, one of the corpses of the Masters hit the ground while under the influence of gravity in less time than it took for the other three to react, which speaks volumes of how thunderstruck/nerfed they were).

Very true.

Avatar image for echostarlord117
echostarlord117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Palpatine would stomp. He effortlessly blitzed the three best swordsmen of the Order while dealing with Mace at the same time. I doubt he'd even rely on his 'saber here considering the sheer number of people he'd have to fight. Palpatine would just Force Lightning them all to a crisp before any of them could say cheese.

Now I wait for the people who'll claim that Anakin alone would give Palpatine trouble...

Avatar image for deactivated-6081fb94189dc
deactivated-6081fb94189dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Canon Sidious: Sidius dies.

Universe expanded: Sidius stomps.

nerdchore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By nerdchore

Anakin plo and kenobi should be good enough to present a threat. The rest come at him, a fair amt will die but he will go down.

AlphaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AlphaQ

@sirfizzwhizz: Thanks!

@amethystgravity said:

Given that Shaak Ti called the same masters that Palpatine blitzed some of the greatest in the order, IIRC, I don't see why Sidious wouldn't treat a fair number of them as fodder. That's besides the fact that Yoda could easily dodge three Jedi masters in a small area, and Sidious is obviously on par/superior to Yoda. Anakin presents difficulties, and if Sidious kills Kenobi, it could unleash Anakin's rage, but even then, I don't see the council prevailing against someone who could easily ragdoll most of them, disarm them with lightning, and dance around their attacks.

@echostarlord117 said:

Palpatine would stomp. He effortlessly blitzed the three best swordsmen of the Order while dealing with Mace at the same time. I doubt he'd even rely on his 'saber here considering the sheer number of people he'd have to fight. Palpatine would just Force Lightning them all to a crisp before any of them could say cheese.

Now I wait for the people who'll claim that Anakin alone would give Palpatine trouble...

As I said, he used psychology and telepathy to nerf their reaction time.

When Mace Windu led a team of Jedi Masters to apprehend Darth Sidious, none of them expected to face the power of the Sith Lord. His innocent appearance as Chancellor Palpatine, along with an application of a concentrated dark side confusion haze, enabled Darth Sidious to take down Agen Kolar, Kit Fisto, and Saesee Tiin.

Source: Lightsabers: A Guide to the Weapons of the Force

Even in the ROTS novel their reaction time is godawful slow, I mean read this...

"Resist? How could I possibly resist?" Still seated at the desk Palpatine shook an empty fist helplessly, the perfect image of a tired, frightened old man. "This is murder, you Jedi traitors!How can I be any threat to you?"

He turned desperately to Saesee Tiin. "Master Tiin—you're the telepath. What am I thinking right now?" Tiin frowned and cocked his head. His blade dipped. A smear of red-flashing darkness hurtled from behind the desk.

Saesee Tiin's head bounced when it hit the floor.

Smoke curled from the neck, and from the twin stumps of the horns, severed just below the chin.

Kit Fisto gasped, "Saesee!"

The headless corpse, still standing, twisted as its knees buckled, and a thin sigh escaped from its trachea as it folded to the floor.

"It doesn't..." Agen Kolar swayed.His emerald blade shrank away, and the handgrip tumbled from his opening fingers. A small, neat hole in the middle of his forehead leaked smoke, showing light from the back of his head."... hurt..."

He pitched forward onto his face, and lay still.

Palpatine stood at the doorway, but the door stayed shut.From his right hand extended a blade the color of fire.The door locked itself at his back. "Help! Help!" Palpatine cried like a man in desperate fear for his life. "Security—someone!Help me! Murder! Treason!"

Then he smiled.

He held one finger to his lips, and, astonishingly, he winked. In the blank second that followed, while Mace Windu and Kit Fisto could do no more than angle their lightsabers to guard,Palpatine swiftly stepped over the bodies back toward his desk,reversed his blade, and drove it in a swift, surgically precise stab down through his desktop.

"That's enough of that."

- Revenge of the Sith by Matthew Stover

The text explicitly states that the only action they could take in an entire second is angle their blades, which is ludicrously slow and none of them could react in the time it took for a head and then a body to crumple under the force of gravity (-9.81m/s(squared) acceleration on Earth). That's shockingly poor, they were clearly nerfed.

Avatar image for amethystgravity
AmethystGravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alphaq: For one thing, why wouldn't Sidious be able to use telepathy or other force powers in this fight like the confusion haze? The element of shock is still in his favor here, too, unless you think the council would be unmoved by seeing someone as or even more powerful, fast, and skilled cutting down their fellow masters.

As for the Jedi falling, Sidious could simply have paused between each blow, blitzing Tiin, waiting for Tiin to fall, then blitzing Kolar, then the little performance for the recording, and then swiftly cutting down Fisto while dueling Mace.

Besides, when does it say that Sidious waited for Tiin to fall before striking the finishing blow on Kolar? Kolar's death did seem to be unusually prolonged.

AlphaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AlphaQ

@amethystgravity:

For one thing, why wouldn't Sidious be able to use telepathy or other force powers in this fight like the confusion haze?

Because the only time he used telepathy on them they weren't expecting it and it had no bearing on the fight once they actually got into the swing of battle. And he only created the haze when he wasn't fighting and could construct it at his leisure while waiting for them, so it is a prep feat if anything.

The element of shock is still in his favor here, too, unless you think the council would be unmoved by seeing someone as or even more powerful, fast, and skilled cutting down their fellow masters.

That's circular, he could only blitz the Masters because of TP and using psychological tricks, so there would be no surprise from seeing a sight like that, since that won't be the case in the first place.

As for the Jedi falling, Sidious could simply have paused between each blow, blitzing Tiin, waiting for Tiin to fall, then blitzing Kolar, then the little performance for the recording, and then swiftly cutting down Fisto while dueling Mace.

I think that Sidious did pause between killing the Masters, the point I was making wasn't about lowballing Sidious's speed, it was about the Jedi being so slow to react that they were all standing around dumbstruck while Sidious did his shenanigans. Regardless, the text does say that they could barely move in one second, which is still ridiculously slow considering in that novel Jedi of that calibre were able to fight at the 10-20 strikes per second range (probably closer to ten though considering Kenobi had difficulty with 12 per sec).

Besides, when does it say that Sidious waited for Tiin to fall before striking the finishing blow on Kolar? Kolar's death did seem to be unusually prolonged.

That's a good point I guess, since the text is somewhat ambiguous. But I think we're supposed to believe that Kolar's death happened after Tiin's head hit the floor, since he started a sentence but now that I think on it he might've been conscious despite the hole in his head and was trying to tell the other Jedi that being killed doesn't hurt... it's ambiguous. I won't use the corpse falling thing as an anti-feat but there is still the one second statement.

Avatar image for emperor_jar_jar
Emperor_Jar_Jar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Palpatine uses his same tp methods, he kills most. Anakin, Obi-wan, and Kit Fisto for sure survive. Maybe Plo as well. Everyone else is fodder.

echostarlord117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alphaq: *uses noncanon source book as a reference*

I also reject your interpretation of that scene from the novelization (which is also noncanon). It wouldn’t matter anyway because they were still the best the Order had to offer regardless of their reaction times. Palpatine wrecked them anyway.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By sirfizzwhizz

@echostarlord117: funny, Sidious failed to rekt Yoda or Mace. Even Yoda failed to rekt Dooku. But Sidious folders all the masters here backed by level 9 Anakin?

Now that logic I reject lol.

the_wspanialy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He effortlessly blitzed the three best swordsmen of the Order while dealing with Mace at the same time.

Since when Fisto, Kolar and Tiin are better swordsmens than Kenobi or Skywalker?

This shouldn't take long, lol.

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Erkan12

Sidious dies. No way he is dealing with this kind of sheer number at the same time. Seriously some people here acting like the grand plan of Order 66 was just for fun despite the RoT Sith Order was specifically working on it for almost centuries.

Turr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sidious wins and it's not even close.

Numbers do not mean anything in star wars duels. Haven't you learned that yet guys? You need a high level individual who is a challenge to beat another high level individual. Look at these countless ecamples:

- Grievous vs 6 jedi, 3 masters included.

- Vader versus 10 jedi masters from the comics.

Sidious vs Mace's strike team.

It's always the same! In this council there's not one jedi who can stand up to Sidious. Even Obi Wan, who is probably the best here, was specifically described by Yoda as "not strong enough" to face Palpatine. Sidious can easily force stomp them with all at once with his initial tk wave. Just go and watch Sidious vs Savage and Maul again. These two were very powerful duo. Enough to challenge best on this council. And Sidious just waves his hand and they both fly on the wall and stay frozen until he released them on purpose to toy with them a bit more. Sidious is too powerful for jedi council. Without Yoda and Windu they can never take him down. He is too fast, too skilled and has too much raw power in the force.

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sidious loses.

echostarlord117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_wspanialy: I don’t have access to a computer atm, but when I do I’ll post their accolades for you.

AlphaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also reject your interpretation of that scene from the novelization (which is also noncanon). It wouldn’t matter anyway because they were still the best the Order had to offer regardless of their reaction times. Palpatine wrecked them anyway.

Huh, my apologies, I assumed that this was the Legends incarnation of the character.

Um, what? If their reaction time was nerfed to the degree they could barely react in a second, their speed it like fives slower than that of a normal human. Real life humans have struck in a quarter of a second or even lower IIRC. Give Batman a lightsaber and he would blitz four people in less than a second too.

Emperor339

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What a split response.

Half are like 'sidious stomps' and the other half are like 'sidious gets dogpiled'

Not that I'm suprised. The placement of tier 9s in comparison to everyone else has always been a point of contention in the community.

Avatar image for deactivated-6249a821a8c64
deactivated-6249a821a8c64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Canon Sidious dies badly. Legends Sidious can win if he plays smart, and uses the Force. He'd get overwhelmed in a direct confrontation, though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alphaq: Or maybe the SW authors don't really care for speed - don't take "a second" to literally.

AlphaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alphaq: Or maybe the SW authors don't really care for speed - don't take "a second" to literally.

I see people take microsecond, millesecond and nanosecond literally for Star Wars even when it leads to ridiculous conclusions. But I get what you're saying... still the point remains that Sidious blitzing the Masters isn't a feat of speed since they were canonically hindered by TP and psychological reasons, and they have no reaction feats in such a hindered state.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b02bbfb13940
deactivated-5b02bbfb13940

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Without Anakin, I think the Jedi Council could quite easily lose this one. With him, though, Sidious is overwhelmed.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alphaq: Speed in SW is just inconcistent. And it makes far more sense that they can react to microsecond attacks, than that they can't even react in one second.

Only if we take the RotS novel as supreme source. He also overwhelmed Maul with his speed several time, so there's that. And Yoda blitzed Depa, Plo and someone else while sparring.

Necromancer76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anakin is what gives the Jedi the win.

AlphaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alphaq: Speed in SW is just inconcistent. And it makes far more sense that they can react to microsecond attacks, than that they can't even react in one second.

Only if we take the RotS novel as supreme source. He also overwhelmed Maul with his speed several time, so there's that. And Yoda blitzed Depa, Plo and someone else while sparring.

They can react in seconds, I never said they can't. I was referring to the Master in their hindered state. They can react to microsecond attacks initially with precognition but in combat Obi-Wan Kenobi was having difficulty with twelve strikes per second and was overwhelmed at twenty from General Grevious. A microsecond is one millionth of second, way, way faster than what 20 strikes per second characters can do.

The RotS novel was approved by Lucas so it is one of the best sources in Legends IMO. Sidious's feat with Maul is good. Also Yoda didn't blitz them, he used the Force to avoid them without moving quickly. It's not a speed feat, it is a skill/precognition feat, though it could possibly be a TK feat too depending on how you want to read it.

She had attended a lecture about battle techniques given by Master Yoda earlier this year, and the memory of it came back to her now. Yoda had faced the assembled students and spoken, his thin reedy voice somehow carrying to the far corners of the lecture hall without benefit of amplifiers.

"Better than training, the Force is. More than experience or speed it gives."

And he had given a demonstration. Three members of the council—Plo Koon, Saesee Tiin, and Depa Billaba, excellent fighters all—had come forward and attacked him. Master Yoda had not been armed, and had not seemed to move more than a meter or so, his tread slow and measured. Nevertheless, none of the three had been able to lay a finger on him.

--Taken from Darth Maul Shadow Hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alphaq: I might be reading something wrong, but as far as I understand it, Mace & Kit weren't affected by the TP.

Damn, that's far faster than I thought lol. That's why I don't like comparing SW characters speed wise to ther verses - they're just to inconcistent.

Well, if we compare the novel to the movie (and the comic, for what it's worth), Sidious killed Kolar first, and not Tiin.

Fair enough on the Yoda thing, though I recalled a comic scan lol

AlphaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthfallax: I don't see why they wouldn't be. If they knew Sidious was using TP, they would surely have mentioned it.

Fair enough.

The ROTS novel seems quite a bit different to the movie, strangely enough. For example, Fisto lasted longer in the novel and Anakin saw Palpatine and Mace fighting in the novel whereas in the movie he arrived after the fight was over.

Cool.

NOOBKILLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darth sidious

Azronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sheev wrecks their shit. He'd win even if Yoda and Mace were there tbh.

Emperor_Jar_Jar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthfallax: I always assumed that Mace and Kit were affected, but they had enough time to react to get out of it.

Emperor_Jar_Jar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Emperor_Jar_Jar

@azronger: Have to disagree there. No way Palpatine takes down Yoda, Mace, and Anakin.

Emperor_Jar_Jar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Emperor_Jar_Jar

@azronger: Should I take you seriously on this btw? (Because of your Sheev obsession)

Azronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emperor_jar_jar: Whether you take me seriously or not is your decision. All I know is that:

No Caption Provided

Shazam! Everyone except Mace, Yoda and Anakin are dead before they even realized what hit them. And given that even the trio is pretty much defenceless against Sheev's lightning in the long run, and have no way to counter or hurt him with anything, I wouldn't bet on their chances.

Emperor_Jar_Jar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Emperor_Jar_Jar

@azronger: This is ROTS Sidious, not DE Sidious. Yoda alone is basically an equal. I agree that the trio you mentioned would be the only ones surviving the initial lightning blast.

Emperor_Jar_Jar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm also kinda serious. Your bio:

I am a Sheevite

Sheev is my duty

Sheev is my salvation

Sheev is my Master

Sheev is my Emperor

Only Sheev

Azronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Azronger

@emperor_jar_jar: Yeah, I know this is RotS Sidious, but no, Yoda is not his equal. He can compete, certainly, as can Anakin and Mace, but they have no way to hurt Sheev and are defenceless against his Lightning.

The Sheevism thing is for laughs. There are many others like me who worship His Imperial Majesty in all his glory, enlighten the ignorant on his powers, and root out the heretics who dare question his might. We call ourselves the Sheevites. Would you like to join us?

Emperor_Jar_Jar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Emperor_Jar_Jar

@azronger: I'm more of an Anakinite and Jar Jarite but thank you. They're defenseless against force lightning?

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

They can't do anything to Sidious?

No Caption Provided

Yoda and Sidious are basically equals. Even if not, Yoda is close enough that Sidious would have to work his butt off. He can't take Yoda AND Anakin and Mace.

Azronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Azronger

@emperor_jar_jar:There is a clear issue with all your examples. They can defend for a short period, but as I said initially in the long run, they have no answer to Palpatine's Force Lightning. I will now pick apart all the possible instances where one might be inclined to believe the contrary.

The scene below starts right after Mace has Sidious on the ground, seemingly defeated. The Dark Lord then lashes out with a violent burst of Force Lightning at Mace. The sequence as depicted in the novelization:

Lightning blasted the clouds above, and lightning blasted from Palpatine's hands, and Mace didn't have time to comprehend what Palpatine was talking about; he had time only to slip back into Vaapad and angle his blade to catch the forking arcs of pure, dazzling hatred that clawed toward him.

Revenge of the Sith

As read from the text, Mace's brain did not have time to even comprehend words spoken to him, lest he would not have caught the lightning before it hit him. So essentially, in order to merely react to Sidious' lightning, his brain has to quite literally shut off and he himself becomes oblivious to pretty much everything else going on around him. It should not require stating, that this is an enormous advantage for Sidious. In theory, he could pretty much fire a casual bolt in Mace's direction every now and then, to keep him permanently out of the fight by forcing him to devote all his concentration to the act of merely keeping up with the speed of the lightning, and be capable of little else. Yet it continues...

Because Vaapad is more than a fighting style. It is a state of mind: a channel for darkness. Power passed into him and out again without touching him. And the circuit completed itself: the lightning reflected back to its source. Palpatine staggered, snarling, but the blistering energy that loured from his hands only intensified. He fed the power with his pain.

Revenge of the Sith

So Sidious wasn't even going all out in the previous quote, when right above it states he could ramp up the lightning even more from his initial burst that took Mace every ounce of his brain power and reflexive prowess to block. So if Sidious had opened with even more intensity than he actually did, Mace most likely would have not been fast enough to catch it on his blade and be hit by it full on. Given how his death went down, I would not bet on his chances to survive prolonged exposure for very long. Even only a brief hit would most likely incapacitate him for a decent duration and take him out of the fight, given how painful Force Lightning is, and Mace's own durability seemingly capping out when he is maimed as demonstrated by how he screamed when Anakin severed his hand, and generally looking paralyzed when shocked by the lightning. I am not done yet, however...

Now Anakin was at Mace's shoulder. Palpatine still made no move to defend himself from Skywalker; instead he ramped up the lightning bursting from his hands, bending the fountain of Mace's blade back toward the Korun Master's face.

Revenge of the Sith

Here Palpatine increases the potency of his lightning even further. On top validating all my previous points even further, it also states a very interesting fact: Mace's lightsaber was bending backwards toward him. In other words, Palpatine was overloading the lightsaber's capacity to contain energy, and as a result it began to contort. Not only is this the single greatest Force Lightning feat in all of Star Wars, never duplicated by anyone before or after, it pretty much supplants the idea that Palpatine's Force Lightning is more potent than lightsaber plasma pretty much as fact. And if the blade's capacity to contain energy is exceeded, that would make it a useless weapon if one wishes to defend against Palpatine's Force Lightning, as is rather nicely demonstrated by the following...

"You're the chosen one, Anakin," Mace said, his voice going thin with strain. This was beyond Vaapad; he had no strength left to fight against his own blade. "Take him. It's your destiny."

Skywalker echoed him faintly. "Destiny..."

"Help me! I can't hold on any longer!" The yellow glare from Palpatine's eyes spread outward through his flesh. His skin flowed like oil, as though the muscle beneath was burning away, as though even the bones of his skull were softening, were bending and bulging, deforming from the heat and pressure of his electric hatred. "He is killing me, Anakin—! Please, Anaaahhh—"

Mace's blade bent so close to his face that he was choking on ozone. "Anakin, he's too strong for me—"

Revenge of the Sith

Self-explanatory, really: Mace has no strength to combat against his own lightsaber contorting so close to his face he began to choke on ozone. The thing that is most intriguing to me, though, is the declaration that Sidious' Force Lightning went "beyond Vaapad." What does that mean? you ask. Well, Vaapad is both a fighting style and a Force technique developed by Mace Windu. It functions as a conduit for the darkness within Mace, and those he faces, which he can turn into power to boost his own combative performance. In fact, he was doing exactly that during his fight with Sidious...

Sinking into Vaapad, Mace Windu fought for his life. More than his life: each whirl of blade and whipcrack of lightning was a strike in defense of democracy, of justice and peace, of the rights of ordinary beings to live their own lives in their own ways. He was fighting for the Republic that he loved.

Vaapad, the seventh form of lightsaber combat, takes its name from a notoriously dangerous predator native to the moons of Sarapin: a vaapad attacks its prey with whipping strikes of its blindingly fast tentacles. Most have at least seven. It is not uncommon for them to have as many as twelve; the largest ever killed had twenty-three. With a vaapad, one never knew how many tentacles it had until it was dead: they move too fast to count. Almost too fast to see. So did Mace's blade.

Vaapad is as aggressive and powerful as its namesake, but its power comes at great risk: immersion in Vaapad opens the gates that restrain one's inner darkness. To use Vaapad, a Jedi must allow himself to enjoy the fight; he must give himself over to the thrill of battle. The rush of winning. Vaapad is a path that leads through the penumbra of the dark side. Mace Windu created this style, and he was its only living master. This was Vaapad's ultimate test.

[...]

Mace was deep in it now: submerged in Vaapad, swallowed by it, he no longer truly existed as an independent being. Vaapad is a channel for darkness, and that darkness flowed both ways. He accepted the furious speed of the Sith Lord, drew the shadow's rage and power into his inmost center—

And let it fountain out again. He reflected the fury upon its source as a lightsaber redirects a blaster bolt.

There was a time when Mace Windu had feared the power of the dark; there was a time when he had feared the darkness in himself. But the Clone Wars had given him a gift of understanding: on a world called Haruun Kal, he had faced his darkness and had learned that the power of darkness is not to be feared. He had learned that it is fear that gives the darkness power. He was not afraid. The darkness had no power over him. But—

Neither did he have power over it.

Vaapad made him an open channel, half of a superconducting loop completed by the shadow; they became a standing wave of battle that expanded into every cubic centimeter of the Chancellor's office. There was no scrap of carpet nor shred of chair that might not at any second disintegrate in flares of red or purple; lampstands became brief shields, sliced into segments that whirled through the air; couches became terrain to be climbed for advantage or overleapt in retreat. But there was still only the cycle of power, the endless loop, no wound taken on either side, not even the possibility of fatigue.

Impasse.

Revenge of the Sith

Mace no longer existed as an individual being, as noted by the text. He was drawing strength from Palpatine's own near limitless reserves of power, forming a superconducting loop that cycled the power back and forth between the two combatants, allowing Mace to match Sidious on equal footing. So when Mace "slipped back into Vaapad" in the first passage I quoted, he was drawing on Palpatine's own power once more to match him as an equal. That isn't the full story, though...

He could feel the end of this battle approaching, and so could the blur of Sith he faced; in the Force, the shadow had become a pulsar of fear. Easily, almost effortlessly, he turned the shadow's fear into a weapon: he angled the battle to bring them both out onto the window ledge. Out in the wind. Out with the lightning. Out on a rain-slicked ledge above a half-kilometer drop. Out where the shadow's fear made it hesitate. Out where the shadow's fear turned some of its Force-powered speed into a Force-powered grip on the slippery permacrete. Out where Mace could flick his blade in one precise arc and slash the shadow's lightsaber in half.

[...]

"Save your twisted words, my lord. There are no politicians here. The Sith will never regain control of the Republic. It's over. You've lost." Mace leveled his blade. "You lost for the same reason the Sith always lose: defeated by your own fear."

Palpatine lifted his head. His eyes smoked with hate. "Fool," he said. He lifted his arms, his robes of office spreading wide into raptor's wings, his hands hooking into talons.

"Fool!" His voice was a shout of thunder. "Do you think the fear you feel is mine?"

[...]

And Palpatine was not afraid. Mace could feel it: he wasn't worried at all.

Revenge of the Sith

Mace feels a pulsar of fear in the Force, and transforms it via Vaapad to bolster himself to even further heights, allowing him to disarm the Sith Lord. He initially mistook this for Palpatine's fear, but later on he realized this is in fact not the case; Palpatine was never afraid. So logically, the only option we have is that it was Anakin's fear. He was the only other person in the room, his crumbling emotional state had been elaborated upon earlier in the novel, and Mace only picks up on the fear once Anakin enters the fray. If he could amplify himself from Sidious' rage to be the Dark Lord's equal, then he would most likely be able to add Anakin's full power on top of his own and Sidious' by drawing on his negative emotions, making him almost doubly as powerful as Sidious or Yoda, or Anakin himself.

So how is this relevant? As I said earlier, Mace re-entered Vaapad when he blocked Palpatine's Force Lightning. Now that we have the added context of him drawing on Anakin's fear on top of Sidious' hate, it's probable he was doubly amped when deflecting the lightning too. Yet the task was still "beyond Vaapad" even though he was drawing on the combined power of Sidious and Anakin. This can infer several possibilities:

1. Sidious was holding back when duelling Mace, revealing nowhere near his full power, and thus Mace could also only feed on a limited amount of it. It would also mean Anakin is not on Sidious' level or anywhere near it, and going by the paradigm that feats trump statements, the quotes saying he is are incorrect.
  2. Sidious has a special talent for Sith Lightning - much like Corran Horn with Tutaminis, Mara Jade with Force Sense, or Bastila Shan with Battle Meditation, Darth Plagueis with Midi-chlorian Manipulation etc. - making his use of the ability much, much more powerful than all his other abilities and his general power level.

Whatever conclusion you yourself arrive at, the point is quite clear nonetheless: Sheev's Lightning can overpower lightsaber blades and the combined power of himself and Anakin Skywalker. One more thing to highlight this, and it is quite useful for Sheev here, is that he can shoot bolts all over the body at once, and so catching them all with a lightsaber becomes impossible:

No Caption Provided

The only reason Mace is enduring so well is because he is amped to hell and back, and the junior novelization nonetheless noted he was being hurt badly. You can only imagine how normal Force users would fare with having multiple arcs of lightning, each more potent than a lightsaber blade, crawling all over their body. Given that most can't even take a regular lightsaber hit, much less having a score of them stabbing you dozens of times every second, I'd imagine most Force users would be reduced to subatomic mush instantly.

All in all, pretty much conclusive evidence that lightsabers, no matter who they're wielded by, are useless in the face of Darth Sidious' Sith Lightning. So Yoda and Anakin will have to get by with just their Force abilities, which leads us to Sidious' fight with the former.

Immediately upon their battle starting, it becomes quite clear Yoda is not a match for the forks of electric hatred the Lord of all Sith can unleash at a moment's notice:

No Caption Provided

"So easily slain, Obi-Wan is not."

"Neither are you, apparently; but that is about to change." The shadow took another step, and another.

A lightsaber appeared, green as sunlight in a forest. "The test of that, today will be."

"Even a fraction of the dark side is more power than your Jedi arrogance can conceive; living in the light, you have never seen the depth of the darkness."

The shadow spread arms that made its sleeves into black wings.

"Until now."

Lightning speared from outstretched hands, and the battle was on.

In the Senate Arena, lightning forked from the hands of a Sith, and bent away from the gesture of a Jedi to shock Redrobes into unconsciousness.

Then there were only the two of them.Their clash transcended the personal; when new lightning blazed, it was not Palpatine burning Yoda with his hate, it was the Lord of all Sith scorching the Master of all Jedi into a smoldering huddle of clothing and green flesh.

Revenge of the Sith

Both in the film and the novelization, Yoda has trouble reacting to the incoming lightning bolts. In the movie he doesn't even get his hands up in time. In the novelization, he deflects the initial blast but is downed by the second despite having his lightsaber on guard. This is further corroboration for the idea that Sidious can pretty much bypass any lightsaber defence, in addition to the image with him and Mace above.

After a while, his and Yoda's fight continues to the Senate Arena, where the Sith Lord again blasts him with Lightning. This time, Yoda does manage to react and catch the barrage on his lightsaber, but unfortunately for the little green Jedi Master, it does jack shit to aid him:

No Caption Provided

Even on the slim chance, that anyone here could catch Palpatine's lightning on their lightsaber, they would just get cockslapped away. Even further clairvoyance on the notion that lightsabers are totally ineffective and serve no purpose against Sheev, in addition to the fact that even if someone here were capable of standing their ground with their lightsaber defence (they aren't), they would just find their blade bending to their face, and their defence circumnavigated by several more bolts that would be crawling all over their body, causing excruciating pain and severe burns - and in the case of lesser Force users, instant death.

And for a final piece of evidence:

No Caption Provided

Sidious can just "remove" the lightsabers off of everyone's hands with a flick of his wrist if he targets the hilt. Given that no one here is fast enough to consistently react to him, he can full well do that as he pleases. Yes, I concede that Yoda did manage to pull it off a few times, but overall he fails more often than he succeeds in all adaptations of the fight, and in the comic it's fifty-fifty: movie: 2 - 0; script: 2 - 1; novel: 2 - 1; junior novel: 2 - 1; comic: 1 - 1. In total across all the media, Yoda has three successes and nine failures. And given that he is the fastest Jedi here, I doubt anyone else could manage it even once - Mace's feat doesn't count because Palpatine was holding back, and he was pushed to his absolute limit even then.

Some might like to point out that Anakin Skywalker has been described as the fastest Jedi around, including Yoda, so it might be arguable he could consistently react to Sidious. However, the extent of his speed edge over Yoda is unclear. Is it 50 %? 10 %? 0.1 %? There is no way to know whether Anakin could keep up with Sheev's Lightning simply based off of that quote, not to mention the quote itself falls under scrutiny when we observe Anakin's own thoughts on Sidious' speed when he witnessed him fighting:

Anakin blinked and rubbed his eyes again. Maybe he was still a bit flash-blind—the Korun Master seemed to be fading in and out of existence, half swallowed by a thickening black haze in which danced a meter-long bar of sunfire. Mace pressed back the darkness with a relentless straight-ahead march; his own blade, that distinctive amethyst blaze that had been the final sight of so many evil beings across the galaxy, made a haze of its own: an oblate sphere of purple fire within which there seemed to be dozens of swords slashing in all directions at once.

The shadow he fought, that blur of speed—could that be Palpatine?

Their blades flared and flashed, crashing together with bursts of fire, weaving nets of killing energy in exchanges so fast that Anakin could not truly see them—but he could feel them in the Force. The Force itself roiled and burst and crashed around them, boiling with power and lightspeed ricochets of lethal intent. And it was darkening.

Revenge of the Sith

Apparently Anakin can't truly perceive Palpatine move, to the point where it seems like he is fading in and out of existence. Note that this is just Palpatine fighting with his lightsaber, and not his Force Lightning, which is much faster, as is made rather clear when Yoda contends with the former just fine, but is barely able to react to the latter. There are several explanations to this internal inconsistency:

1. Anakin is not on the level of Yoda and Sidious, and the quote is wrong.
  2. Anakin is even faster than Yoda, but Yoda himself isn't Sidious' equal, and the latter was just toying with him and holding back to an enormous degree, and could've blitzed him at any moment.
  3. Some other fan theory.

Even if you disregard the first two options, and think Anakin is faster than Yoda and can react to Sidious' Lightning bolts consistently, that is ultimately beside the point. As demonstrated with Mace and Yoda, it doesn't matter whether he is more powerful than Sidious, or whether he manages to react or not, he will still have his lightsaber nullified, and he'll have to resort exclusively to his Force powers, which echoes what I said earlier. So onward to that.

Mace doesn't need much elucidation: he had his Force deflection immediately overpowered and got killed in a matter of seconds:

As MACE stares at ANAKIN in shock, PALPATINE springs to life.The full force of Palpatine's powerful Bolts blasts MACE. He attempts to deflect them with his one good hand, but the force is too great. As blue rays engulf his body, he is flung out the window and falls twenty stories to his death. No more screams. No more moans. PALPATINE lowers his arm.

Revenge of the Sith Script

Yoda will take a bit more effort for Sheev, but in the end, even he is ultimately helpless. A scenario where both Yoda and Sidious would be blasted backwards by the amalgamation of their combined powers in the form of a ball would only happen if the two were in close proximity to each other. From afar, only Yoda would get flung back, as the energy ball would cumulate in his hands, and not anywhere near Palpatine. In fact, such a scene is exactly what happened in the junior novelization of the fight:

Hurling Force lightning, the Emperor backed away, to the very edge of the platform. Following him was like walking against hurricane winds. Never had Yoda faced one so strong in the dark side. Before he came within reach, a particularly strong blast knocked Yoda out of the pod.

Revenge of the Sith Junior Novelization

Yoda likens trying to walk through the lightning storm akin to trying to persevere against hurricane winds. The act of moving towards the Emperor is so difficult that Yoda is effectively immobilized here. Before he can come within reach, his Force defence will be overpowered and he will be flung backwards. Even if Yoda did manage to somehow gain on the Sith Lord, all the latter would need to do is to step back to elongate the gap between them, just as he does above. Yoda does not have any chance or method of damaging Palpatine here or effectively defending against his attacks. All Sidious needs to do to win against Yoda is to create some distance, fire lightning, and Yoda will go down. Every. Single. Time.

Same with Mace, same with Anakin. Neither of them have anything that'd allow them outperform Yoda in a similar situation, and even if you buy into Anakin being more powerful than Sidious and Yoda, the former's lightning is still powerful enough to seriously injure being more powerful than him, and is beyond their most advanced Force techniques (Mace with Vaapad). And I seriously doubt Anakin is even twice as powerful as Sidious, even if he is his superior. One'd have a very tough time making that case.

Now I believe I have adequately explained how Palpatine does indeed have the destructive firepower to defeat the combined might of Anakin Skywalker, Mace Windu and Yoda. But to recap, after he "blitzes" and annihilates the rest of the Council with his initial omnidirectional storm, I believe only those three would survive, although Mace only barely, and would effectively be out of the fight for a lengthy duration. He doesn't have either the pain tolerance or the passive Force barriers to withstand Palpatine's might. The only reason I'm hesitant to say he gets one-shot insta-killed is because Lucas has stated Mace can compete with the Emperor, although whether this statement applies to standard Mace without the Vaapad amp or even Legends Mace at all is debatable. Regardless, after the first hit, he isn't in any condition to defend himself from a second one, which would probably come just as quickly. Or Sheev would just snap his neck, or blow up his body to sate his thirst for blood.

After Mace is out (which would happen in the first few seconds of the fight), Anakin and Yoda remain. Yoda has already shown his passive barriers can withstand Sheev's Lightning, so he would get up, as would Anakin if we accept he is on Yoda's level. They would then be faced with more lightning, and have their lightsabers disposed of. Now their only chance is to try to beat Palpatine with Telekinesis or their fists, but they can't get anywhere near the Emperor due to being bombarded with even more Lightning. Palpatine could either attempt to overwhelm them with a continuous barrage, or spam singular bolts to push their reflexes and defensive powers to their limits and watch as they fail to react to most of the incoming assaults. At some point, the Jedi just wouldn't be able to keep up with the never-ending volley of bolts, not to mention everyone that hits them distracts them and increases their chances of failing on the next one. I'd imagine they'd be overwhelmed rather quickly, and the pain would become too intense to cope with, so the Emperor would slowly torture them to death, similar to how he did Luke.

So there we have it: a detailed breakdown of why Darth Sidious solos the entire Jedi Council with just his Force Lightning. Keep in mind he has tons of other Force abilities at his disposal to utilize here. This was just one of them, yet I believe he would win just with Sith Lightning alone. He is also virtually immortal as he can tank lightsaber hits to the face like they were flea bites, without any effort. I may elaborate upon this later is asked, but for now I think this is enough to prove Emperor Palpatine's utter supremacy.

kbroskywalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#44  Edited By kbroskywalker

Anakin is a highly contentious fight for aids on his own. Sids gets plastered facing Anakin plus 9 other masters.

And no, Sidious can't solo Yoda, Anakin and Mace.

PenguinLover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By PenguinLover

If Anakin is rage amped, the Council may pull it off. Otherwise, Sidious wins comfortably.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Looks like Az just buried everyone's meaningless platitudes under a mountain of evidence, once again. Glorious reading as always.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Should I take you seriously on this btw? (Because of your Sheev obsession)

You know that's a pretty pitiful logical fallacy, correct? People who like certain characters tend to know quite a lot about them. If that affects the quality of their arguments, then you should be able to attack their arguments. Attacking the user before the argument is weak.

Emperor_Jar_Jar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords: I was being serious. I wanted to know if he was joking or actually serious.

Emperor_Jar_Jar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azronger: Alright agree with most of what you said there. I don't believe Anakin is faster than Yoda, but he is definitely not much slower. Actually this is the part where I curse the ROTS novel, because Anakin seeing Palpatine as a blur doesn't fit in with him being the most powerful, fastest and strongest. I'll back to this in a few hours.

redheathen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By redheathen

@echostarlord117 said:

When did this thread become Canon only? ROTS is in Legends as well, as is TCW. @fatherchaos Would you please clarify if this thread is canon or legends or both?

The main battle is ROTS Anakin v ROTS Sidious. Anakin as of the end of the Invisible Hand duel is officially leveled above Sidious as of ROTS.

Anakin's style has changed completely between Episode II and Episode III. He now no longer cares. He knows he's unbeatable. He's far more dangerous than anybody in the universe. ~Nick Gillard

Taking the above into consideration, I don't see Sidious winning, especially considering the fact that there are so many skilled Jedi Masters fighting him at the same time.

@amethystgravity

Just a BTW, what Shaak Ti thinks about Kolar, Tiin, and Fisto doesn't matter. It is only her opinion. Character opinions are officially not reliable.