• 175 results
#1 Posted by Richard96 (5632 posts) - - Show Bio

Random encounter on neutral ground. Legends + canon feats allowed. Fight to the death or incapacitation, no morals.

- Only sabers

- Only force

- All out

#2 Posted by lubub55 (12875 posts) - - Show Bio

Luke stomps.

Avatar image for crushyourenemies
#3 Posted by CRUSHYOURENEMIES (2540 posts) - - Show Bio

Qui Gon Jinn stomps

Defeating an over the hill and slow Vader is not impressive.

#4 Posted by Richard96 (5632 posts) - - Show Bio

“Luke stomps.”

“Qui Gon Jinn stomps.”

Hmmm, interesting....

#5 Posted by Richard96 (5632 posts) - - Show Bio

Star Wars Callouts:

@noobsnowman@zaluk@killerwasp@nerdchore@zapan871@sirfizzwhizz@jedixman@emperordmb@banthabot@themuser@decaf_wizard@icecold14@sxe619@thevivas@georgewbush@radioactivehaggis@emperor339@azronger@bigsambino87@ffp@ziggystardust@keikrosskira@i_like_swords@shootingnova@noah_ouellette@eisenfauste@foxerdes@alextheboss@amethystgravity@starwarsholonet@darthbane77@erkan12@darkishdefender@wollfmyth209@darthskywalker0@aiartificalintelligence@darthant66@jackofalltrades2@kbroskywalker@ordeith

#6 Posted by Royal_Warrior (5060 posts) - - Show Bio

Canon version Qui gon would stomp

Luke's never impressed me in the OT and was basically below Padawan Kenobi the whole time

Kinda makes sense seeing as there wasn't many Jedi around him to be taught whereas there were thousands during kenobi's time

#7 Posted by Dawn_of_Ages (2384 posts) - - Show Bio

Moving so fast that he appears to teleport, moving faster than the likes of RotS Kenobi, casually deflecting omnidirectional blaster fire, speed blitzing Jedi Knights all prior 20 years of growing in power. Vader is slow indeed.

#8 Posted by Helloman (28525 posts) - - Show Bio

Qui Gon Jinn wins.

#9 Posted by AlexTheBoss (16899 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually think this is a close fight. If we use the saber tier system I believe both would fall under a high 7, and neither seam to use the force too offensively. It would basically be a fight of experience vs youth. I think Luke has the raw power and physical advantage, while Qui-gon has the experience and skill advantage.

Round 1: If Luke doesn't get a rage amp I would give the slight edge to Qui-gon due to having more experience with a lightsaber. If Luke gets amped I think he would overwhelm Qui-gon.

Round 2: I'm not really sure of Luke's capabilities as I never really saw him use the force, but I'll give it to him due to him having more raw power within him. We did see him use force choke against two gamorians.

Round 3: I think all out depends on two things, how long the fight goes, and if Luke gets an amp. If the fight drags out Qui-gon will get tired and Luke would win. If Luke gets any amp he would overpower Qui-gon. Qui-gon can win if he catches Luke making a noob mistake. I will give the slight edge to Luke because of his raw power and because I think he is good enough to not make a mistake too often.

#10 Edited by G_Race (245 posts) - - Show Bio

@crushyourenemies: Over the hill Vader? Dude was like 45 if memory serves.. Vader was at the height of his powers?

#11 Posted by CRUSHYOURENEMIES (2540 posts) - - Show Bio

@crushyourenemies said:

Moving so fast that he appears to teleport, moving faster than the likes of RotS Kenobi, casually deflecting omnidirectional blaster fire, speed blitzing Jedi Knights all prior 20 years of growing in power. Vader is slow indeed.

Like I said...beating An over the hill slow Vader is no impressive feat. You just agreed with me.

hell, the fact that Vader was holding back on him is an even bigger insult. I don't see how Luke can get an anger amp either from a guy as serene in the force as Qui Gon.

Casually deflecting blasters...wow the one thing every single lightsaber user can do.

blitzing jedi fodder. oh wow so impressive.

#12 Posted by lubub55 (12875 posts) - - Show Bio

This is just idiotic.

Avatar image for emperor_jar_jar
#13 Posted by Emperor_Jar_Jar (509 posts) - - Show Bio

@crushyourenemies: This is messed up and incredibly biased. Vader was holding back, but Luke was holding back even more. The novel of ROTJ states that they were fighting as equals. AND VADER IS NOT SLOW.

#14 Posted by JediXMan (42375 posts) - - Show Bio

Luke.

#15 Posted by CRUSHYOURENEMIES (2540 posts) - - Show Bio

@crushyourenemies: This is messed up and incredibly biased. Vader was holding back, but Luke was holding back even more. The novel of ROTJ states that they were fighting as equals. AND VADER IS NOT SLOW.

Maul outsped him

No Caption Provided

and defeated him. if it wasn't for his taunt he would have lost.

Qui Gon was able to keep up and land blows on Maul on both their fights.

#16 Posted by bigsambino87 (1754 posts) - - Show Bio

@emperor_jar_jar said:

Maul outsped him

No Caption Provided

This comic strip isn't even Legends Canon. It doesn't count and can't be used as anything for or against Vader or Maul.

#17 Edited by Richard96 (5632 posts) - - Show Bio

@emperor_jar_jar:

“Luke was holding back even more.”

Luke wasn’t holding back when Vader threatened to corrupt leia (hence when he got stomped).

Avatar image for amethystgravity
#18 Posted by AmethystGravity (2286 posts) - - Show Bio

Luke did better against a superior opponent...so Luke.

#19 Posted by Lucano (3403 posts) - - Show Bio

Saying that Vader is 'slow' in ROTJ just because there were no advanced VFX, nor over-the-top choreographies involved in the first trilogy is the stupidest thing I've heard on a Star Wars debate.

#20 Posted by Hush114 (1577 posts) - - Show Bio

Already been done but...

Qui gon jinn in a close fight. The jedi were in their prime during tpm and how he handled himself against maul was more impressive than luke facing a held back vader.

He wins round 1 and luke might surpass jinn in round 2 due to his skywalker atunement to the force but in an all out match qui gon takes it.

Qui gons experience and skill would overcome lukes incomplete training and natural force ability.

#21 Posted by Emperor_Jar_Jar (509 posts) - - Show Bio

@richard96: True, but he was holding back more than Vader during their initial duel.

#22 Posted by Emperor_Jar_Jar (509 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Posted by CRUSHYOURENEMIES (2540 posts) - - Show Bio

@crushyourenemies: That's non canon for Legends.

so? it's common knowledge that Vader is slow in comparison to even Luke which is why he got tagged in their first fight even though Luke was a novice.

#24 Posted by AlexTheBoss (16899 posts) - - Show Bio

@lucano said:

Saying that Vader is 'slow' in ROTJ just because there were no advanced VFX, nor over-the-top choreographies involved in the first trilogy is the stupidest thing I've heard on a Star Wars debate.

Actually Lucas himself said that the prequels would have faster fights because they are jedi in their prime and not old men, damaged machines, or boys who haven't had proper training, or something along those lines. So I would agree with you if Lucas himself didn't suggest that wast the case, however current canon ins't controlled by Lucas so his statements are dubious now.

#25 Posted by Emperor_Jar_Jar (509 posts) - - Show Bio

@crushyourenemies: No. The novel shows that they were about equals, Luke beat Vader when he was in a rage. Vader isn't slow.

Avatar image for saiyatoniansage
#26 Edited by SaiyatonianSage (295 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on how much technical skill with a lightsaber will that give Qui-Gon Jinn an advantage over Luke Skywalker, however Skywalker is also the same guy who can copy a fighting style after seeing it once... plus it's also the same question of 'if Qui-Gon can defeat Vader?'

Qui-Gon might be able to hold his own for a while, using a style of lightsaber combat Luke isn't too familiar with and might be too much for him the first encounter/round but ultimately Luke will win 7 or 8/10.

#27 Posted by Old_Blighty (850 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Posted by RedHeathen (2217 posts) - - Show Bio

@emperor_jar_jar said:

Maul outsped him

WHY MUST MAUL ALWAYS BE INCLUDED IN VS BATTLES THAT HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH HIM. BTW, Vader didn't taunt Maul. He hated himself more and just stabbed himself to kill get to Maul.

I am very familiar with TPM fight, and keeping up in battle doesn't have anything to do with speed. Two totally different things. Not only that, we've got odd ABC logic here, *and* on top of that, we are not discussing two combatants battling each other who have nothing to do with the OP.

Now back to Vader. Vader is not slow. As of Lords of the Sith, five years post-Order 66 -

His running speed is unnaturally fast:

He exploded into motion, moving toward her at preternatural speed...

The same is said later about Sidious' speed:

He looked tiny amid their bulk but moved with preternatural speed...

Vader's blade moves at such speeds that the light is a blur:

Vader didn't slow his sprint and his lightsaber was a blur as he came on...

Vader's saber speed is as quick as his master's:

Vader leapt high and landed at his Master's side. The queen roared and loosed a flurry of strikes. Working in tandem, they parried her blows, counterstruck, opened dozens of holes in her tentacles, their blades spinning blurs before them.

Later, Vader defies his master when Sidious wants to kill someone who Vader doesn't want dead just yet, and Vader is faster than his master, at least in this one excerpt. Sidious is already moving at a faster than human speed:

With preternatural speed the Emperor drew, ignited, and slashed at the girl with his lightsaber, but Vader had sensed his Master's intent and moved with greater speed, igniting his own blade and intercepting his Master's blow before it could land.

As to Vader not trying to kill Luke (The Rise and Fall of Darth Vader):

My Master wants Luke to win, Vader realized with some resentment. I will not give him that satisfaction. I will not be -

Unexpectedly, Luke deactivated his lightsaber and said, "I will not fight you, Father."

"You are unwise to lower your defenses," Vader said, as he brought his lightsaber up fast. With incredible speed, Luke reactivated his weapon to parry Vader's attack. Vader swung again and again, but Luke blocked each blow. Soon, Vader was breathing hard through his respirator. I can't let Luke defeat me, Vader thought. I won't let the Emperor have him!

Shortly after this is when Vader detects that Luke has hidden the fact that he has a sister, and he then says that he'll get Leia to turn. Luke goes ballistic and has his lightsaber angled to kill Vader, but then says he'll never turn to the Dark Side and this is when Sidious unleashed Sith lightning on Luke. It was only then that Vader realized that his son loved him, and he saved Luke.

I think that at different times of the fight they each had different feelings. At first Vader didn't want to kill Luke. He wanted to turn him, but when Luke said he wouldn't turn, all bets were off for Vader. He said it was time for Luke to meet his destiny, and he aimed to kill Luke, especially when he realized that the Emperor wanted Luke to win.

Luke didn't want to kill Vader until his sister was mentioned, but before killing Vader, he stopped himself. They both went all out with Luke defeating Vader.

BACK TO THE OP

Jinn is a top duelist in the Jedi Order. He has a lot of experience. I've never been a huge fan of Luke, especially ROTJ Luke and never saw him as being all that powerful. I think the intent of Lucas was that Luke was all that powerful. Based on accolades and experience, I'd say that Jinn wins. Based on what Luke is supposed to be in the story line and what Lucas intended, Luke wins. I really can't make my answer any better than that.

#29 Posted by Dawn_of_Ages (2384 posts) - - Show Bio

hell, the fact that Vader was holding back on him is an even bigger insult.

Prove Vader was holding back.

Casually deflecting blasters

Omni-directional blaster fire.

one thing every single lightsaber user can do.

*cough* Order 66 *cough*

I like how didn't address the fact that Vader moved so fast he appeared teleport and faster than RotS Obi-Wan.

Right. A Jedi who can move so fast he seemingly appears in several places at once is now fodder, lmao.

#30 Posted by Dawn_of_Ages (2384 posts) - - Show Bio

@lucano said:

Leave the autistic kid alone, it's not his fault.

#31 Posted by Dawn_of_Ages (2384 posts) - - Show Bio

Maul outsped him

No Caption Provided

Of course you leave out the part where Vader was contending with him and the Prophets of the Dark Side say they were fighting equally. Not to mention this is supposed to be a pre-prime Vader and the comicisn't even canon in Legends. It's just as canon as Old Wounds, lmao.

#32 Posted by RedHeathen (2217 posts) - - Show Bio

@crushyourenemies said:

hell, the fact that Vader was holding back on him is an even bigger insult.

Prove Vader was holding back.

Casually deflecting blasters

Omni-directional blaster fire.

one thing every single lightsaber user can do.

*cough* Order 66 *cough*

I like how didn't address the fact that Vader moved so fast he appeared teleport and faster than RotS Obi-Wan.

Right. A Jedi who can move so fast he seemingly appears in several places at once is now fodder, lmao.

I posted an excerpt about the Vader / Luke fight. Did you guys miss it?

I also posted a couple excerpts about Vader's speed from one novel, which is canon.

@crushyourenemies said:

Maul outsped him

Of course you leave out the part where Vader was contending with him and the Prophets of the Dark Side say they were fighting equally. Not to mention this is supposed to be a pre-prime Vader and the comicisn't even canon in Legends. It's just as canon as Old Wounds, lmao.

I discussed this above as well. Maul did defeat Vader in a very close match. Vader ended up the victor because his hatred was greater than Maul's. HOWEVER, you are incorrect about its canonicity in old canon. "Resurrection" was canonized in its entirety and was considered C canon.

#33 Posted by RedHeathen (2217 posts) - - Show Bio

Leave the autistic kid alone, it's not his fault.

That is entirely unnecessary, and you need to realize how wrong it is to speak that way. It is inflammatory and bigoted. It is Ableist and not different from any other ism such as racism. It is akin to using the n-word. To ridicule a person by using this terminology is what is inappropriate and unacceptable.

"In ableist societies, people with disabilities are viewed as less valuable to society, or even less than human."

^^^ That is exactly what you are perpetuating when you use any form of "autism" in a derogatory manner. I sincerely hope that you consider how bad it is and that you can understand why it is bad and that you will strive to be better than that. I am happy to discuss this topic with you if you truly wish to learn.

#34 Posted by Dawn_of_Ages (2384 posts) - - Show Bio

Maul did defeat Vader in a very close match. Vader ended up the victor because his hatred was greater than Maul's.

I didn't say otherwise. I said that they fought equally, indicating that Vader was not as outmatched against Maul in a saber duel as he said. This occurs before Vader reaches his peak, however.

My bad. You're right. It turns out Leeland Chee confirmed it. :/

The only non-continuity death listed here is Watto's. "Resurrections" under this list are in-continuity.

http://web.archive.org/web/20120213195410/http://blogs.starwars.com/holocron/22/comments

#35 Posted by tj849 (8569 posts) - - Show Bio

LUKE OBLITERATES

#36 Edited by RedHeathen (2217 posts) - - Show Bio
@dawn_of_ages said:
@redheathen said:

Maul did defeat Vader in a very close match. Vader ended up the victor because his hatred was greater than Maul's.

I didn't say otherwise. I said that they fought equally, indicating that Vader was not as outmatched against Maul in a saber duel as he said. This occurs before Vader reaches his peak, however.

My bad. You're right. It turns out Leeland Chee confirmed it. :/

The only non-continuity death listed here is Watto's. "Resurrections" under this list are in-continuity.

http://web.archive.org/web/20120213195410/http://blogs.starwars.com/holocron/22/comments

Yeah, I think it is important to note that it is an extremely close match up. There is a magazine that states they are closely matched but Vader is above Maul. I can look for it if you want. Let me know. BTW, what does it matter whether or not he is at his peak. Technically, Maul isn't at his, either. I've seen that said before. I'm not arguing. Just Curious... I think that people argue about when Vader was at his peak. I personally think he never reached his peak because he died to young, but even that can be argued.

We all learn from each other! cool :)

And thanks for sharing the link. I didn't have it, but what is interesting is that Chee recognized Maul's resurrection and death in the 2005 Old Wounds. SWT 17 Phantom Menaces was a bizarre story. If it's recognized, then maybe it would be of note to use because Maul was able to manipulate Luke's mind - I think. I can't remember to be honest. I'm still surprised that Old Wounds was recognized by him. It was my understanding that it was never canon.

OK so I looked at the OW Wookieepedia entry, and this link is directly to the footnote that sources that Chee didn't canonize it. It's out of date, though, and there is no link to the archived page. I know all this is not of that much interest, but little details are fun for me.

I hope you read what else I posted to you. :/

#37 Posted by Dawn_of_Ages (2384 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I think it is important to note that it is an extremely close match up.

Definitely. Maul seems to be underrated in these boards.

There is a magazine that states they are closely matched but Vader is above Maul. I can look for it if you want. Let me know.

It's fine. Assuming it's Legends, I think I've seen it posted by Erkan before though. Which version of Maul were they using?

Technically, Maul isn't at his, either. I've seen that said before. I'm not arguing. Just Curious... I think that people argue about when Vader was at his peak. I personally think he never reached his peak because he died to young, but even that can be argued.

Fair enough. Where do you rank Rebels Maul in comparison to his other incarnations, btw?

I have. My apologies. My Vader love has clouded my judgement.

#38 Posted by CRUSHYOURENEMIES (2540 posts) - - Show Bio

@crushyourenemies said:

Maul outsped him

No Caption Provided

clearly lost his prime prior to facing Luke.

hence explains why he got tagged by a padawan level character.

hell even ashoka was able to tag him

#39 Posted by Emperor_Jar_Jar (509 posts) - - Show Bio

@crushyourenemies: Yea.

1. Luke was raged, Vader was holding back, and that's more of a good feat for Luke rather than lowballing Vader.

2. Luke aint Padawan level. Try, top 10 Jedi ever by ROTJ.

#40 Posted by Dawn_of_Ages (2384 posts) - - Show Bio

clearly lost his prime prior to facing Luke.

What?

hence explains why he got tagged by a padawan level character.

And Maul got tagged by pirates. See? I can do this too.

hell even ashoka was able to tag him

When Vader had his back turned was focused on pulling to the holocron towards him. Not to mention Vader dominated that entire fight despite Ahsoka's style being suited to counter Vader's. Try again.

#41 Posted by Lucano (3403 posts) - - Show Bio

@alextheboss: That sounds fair to me. Never-the-less, canon material shows Vader, already a damaged machine-man, being really fast and stuff... But I do get your point there.

#42 Posted by Chronicplane (8817 posts) - - Show Bio

Luke should win, Skill they are roughly equal but Luke stomps him in the force and physicals.

#43 Posted by RedHeathen (2217 posts) - - Show Bio

1) Definitely. Maul seems to be underrated in these boards.

There is a magazine that states they are closely matched but Vader is above Maul. I can look for it if you want. Let me know.

It's fine. Assuming it's Legends, I think I've seen it posted by Erkan before though. Which version of Maul were they using?

Technically, Maul isn't at his, either. I've seen that said before. I'm not arguing. Just Curious... I think that people argue about when Vader was at his peak. I personally think he never reached his peak because he died to young, but even that can be argued.

2) Fair enough. Where do you rank Rebels Maul in comparison to his other incarnations, btw?

3) I have. My apologies. My Vader love has clouded my judgement.

1) TCW Maul

2) I don't know where or even how to place him because his mind is so messed up. We have no idea if he practiced, etc. He's obviously still got Force powers and is formidable, but it was even said that Maul was past his prime. I'm hoping to here back from @kbroskywalker to see if he knows where I can find that quote. Maybe @erkan12 knows. ??? This is for something separate from this thread, though.

3) Okay, that's cool, and thank you. =) Vader is my favorite Sith and actually my favorite Star Wars character. People think I'm a huge Maul fangirl, but I post about Maul because it seems like people have him all wrong and don't give him the credit he deserves.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4
#44 Posted by deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4 (18365 posts) - - Show Bio

@emperor_jar_jar said:

Maul outsped him

No Caption Provided

is Maul outpacing him supposed to be a low showing lol?

#45 Posted by kbroskywalker (13404 posts) - - Show Bio

@dawn_of_ages said:

1) Definitely. Maul seems to be underrated in these boards.

2) Fair enough. Where do you rank Rebels Maul in comparison to his other incarnations, btw?

3) I have. My apologies. My Vader love has clouded my judgement.

1) TCW Maul

2) I don't know where or even how to place him because his mind is so messed up. We have no idea if he practiced, etc. He's obviously still got Force powers and is formidable, but it was even said that Maul was past his prime. I'm hoping to here back from @kbroskywalker to see if he knows where I can find that quote. Maybe @erkan12 knows. ??? This is for something separate from this thread, though.

3) Okay, that's cool, and thank you. =) Vader is my favorite Sith and actually my favorite Star Wars character. People think I'm a huge Maul fangirl, but I post about Maul because it seems like people have him all wrong and don't give him the credit he deserves.

There's no quote saying Maul is past his prime combatively. The "past his prime" statement by Witwer specifically refers to Maul as a character.

There remains no evidence of Maul declining by Rebels. There is evidence suggesting improvement.

@dawn_of_ages

Take a gander:

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/kbroskywalker/blog/rebels-mauls-growth/131038/

#46 Posted by kbroskywalker (13404 posts) - - Show Bio

@crushyourenemies said:
@emperor_jar_jar said:

Maul outsped him

No Caption Provided

The fight likely was an illusion. Chee confirmed the possibility of Maul being an illusion and the actual comic has Vader's wounds immediately disappearing when Sidious comes.

#47 Edited by RedHeathen (2217 posts) - - Show Bio

@kbroskywalker said:

There's no quote saying Maul is past his prime combatively. The "past his prime" statement by Witwer specifically refers to Maul as a character.

There remains no evidence of Maul declining by Rebels. There is evidence suggesting improvement.

@dawn_of_ages

Take a gander:

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/kbroskywalker/blog/rebels-mauls-growth/131038/

omg i want to pull my hair out when talking to you sometimes, lol. i said literally nothing about combat abilities or any other abilities. i only said that witwer said he was past his prime, which is what he did say. i am not getting into a debate with you on this topic at all. i just want the link to what he said because i can't find it now. i have seen it/ read it, that i do remember, but i can't remember if his interview was a video or in an article...or where. The video where Witwer discuss Maul being past his prime regardless of how he is past his prime. can you please share that without just giving me a link to a long blog post?

EDIT:

Never mind. I found it by searching for the quote, so your thread helped after all. Your thread is still wrong, lol, but thanks for adding the quote that you have used incorrectly. I hope that you will consider being more helpful in the future. I would help you if I could if you ever needed it. Just because we have differing opinions on here shouldn't mean that we are adversaries. Anytime I make comments such as what I opened up with here, you shouldn't take what I say seriously. I would never be mad or mean on purpose and not say something about it. In fact, I have said this to you before. Nothing but fun and good intentions are intended by me.

As to your Rebel's Maul thread, your assertion is one I'll never agree with in its entirety, but so what? What does it matter? You put a lot of effort into it and that's great. Other people agree with you, so I'm the sore thumb here. I think your efforts were diligent (if not misled, =D ) and commendable.

#48 Edited by Wolfrazer (16041 posts) - - Show Bio

@kbroskywalker said:
@trust_this_786 said:
@crushyourenemies said:
@emperor_jar_jar said:

Maul outsped him

The fight likely was an illusion. Chee confirmed the possibility of Maul being an illusion and the actual comic has Vader's wounds immediately disappearing when Sidious comes.

? Vader still has his injuries after Sidious comes.

Avatar image for echostarlord117
#49 Posted by echostarlord117 (5546 posts) - - Show Bio

Someone who beat Vader vs. someone who lost against Maul... in a 2 vs. 1.

Luke would win.

#50 Posted by Emperor_Jar_Jar (509 posts) - - Show Bio

@echostarlord117: Maul beat Qui Gon on a move than Luke could fall to. ABC doesn't really work.