Avatar image for supremegeneration
SupremeGeneration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'd give both to GA, Rip lacks feats.

People are gonna say that Rip bested Savage in h2h. That was before he became an immortal and learned all the tricks up the world's sleeves.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People are gonna say that Rip bested Savage in h2h. That was before he became an immortal and learned all the tricks up the world's sleeves.

Rip beat him again later in the episode though, during there fight in 1975.

NimaMindTricks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Probably Oliver

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: It was actually in the 80's, the team left the 70s to the 80s.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: It was actually in the 80's, the team left the 70s to the 80s.

Actually the team left the 80's at the end of the episode. IIRC they couldn't leave the 70's because Kendra wouldn't have survived the time jump due to her injuries.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Rip doesn't have the feats. The Savage he fought wasn't the Savage Ollie fought.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SupremeGeneration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44 said:
@supremegeneration said:

Rip beat him again later in the episode though, during there fight in 1975.

Still, the Savage Ollie fought had 4 decades more experience.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jashro44

@pokeysteve said:

Rip doesn't have the feats. The Savage he fought wasn't the Savage Ollie fought.

How so? As I said in another thread unless Vandal has gone through intense training from 1975 to the point where he fought Oliver there shouldn't be a difference. And I find that unlikely considering Vandal is always talking about how he trained or was trained by all these historical figures. I can understand saying Oliver wins especially since Rip lacks showings but I think people need to accept he beat Vandal Savage. Now it could be that Vandal has started jobbing but he did kill Carter in the previous episode so I think the feat is still pretty impressive.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@supremegeneration: Should fourty years really make much of difference given how old he already was? And he still killed Hawkman, who had the upperhand against Oliver, if I recall correctly

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still, the Savage Ollie fought had 4 decades more experience.

Do you think that makes a huge difference though? I'm not saying its impossible but Vandal still had 4000 years of experience and most of his training comes through ancient times training with guys like houdini, Robin Locksly, I think he mentioned Robin Hood (I know he wasn't a real person but I recall Savage mentioning him), and other various figures.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

@jashro44: I think we have to still wait, although I get your point. If Rip keeps moving up and keeps proving himself, then we can gauge him a little bit better IMO.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jashro44

@lukehero said:

@jashro44: I think we have to still wait, although I get your point. If Rip keeps moving up and keeps proving himself, then we can gauge him a little bit better IMO.

That's fair. Admittedly Rip's lack of showings makes things tricky. But I thought him beating Vandal in hand to hand was impressive and he did show good enough accuracy to shoot a knife out of his hand. I mostly just made this fight to see if people are viewing Rip's fight with Vandal as a good showing for him or a low showing for Savage.

EDIT: I also want to go on record I'm not saying he wins here, I'm mostly just saying he did legitimately beat Savage.

SupremeGeneration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supremegeneration: Should fourty years really make much of difference given how old he already was? And he still killed Hawkman, who had the upperhand against Oliver, if I recall correctly

@jashro44 said:
@pokeysteve said:

How so? As I said in another thread unless Vandal has gone through intense training from 1975 to the point where he fought Oliver there shouldn't be a difference. And I find that unlikely considering Vandal is always talking about how he trained or was trained by all these historical figures. I can understand saying Oliver wins especially since Rip lacks showings but I think people need to accept he beat Vandal Savage. Now it could be that Vandal has started jobbing but he did kill Carter in the previous episode so I think the feat is still pretty impressive.

To both of you

I want you to look at this one point of why I think he had some point of more training over those 4 decades:

The knives. IIRC he hasn't used them at all in LoT. In Arrow/Flash those were his main weapons before the Staff of Horus.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Round 1: Judging by Rips single showing of hand-to-hand combat in comparision with Oliver fighting the same opponent. He pretty much stomps.(Now my personal opinion is later episodes will heavily imply Rip is a worse hand-to-hand combatant than Sara and Savage will be an highly inconsistent opponent that will be solod by multiple different members of the team throughout the show.)

Round 2: Oliver. Rip shot a knife out of the hands of a guy at comparatively low distance, thats cute. He outright missed Chronos and was pinned down by Chronos gun fire behind cover. He didn't demonstrate particularly good abilties at defending against being shot at or hitting people. The one good thing he did had been replicated by Oliver with a kitchen knife not made to be thrown as a weapon.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jashro44

@supremegeneration: He had his knives in legends of tomorrow. The knives were collection from hundreds/thousands of years not just a few decades, IIRC that was stated in legends of today. Regardless Rip actually shot a knife out of Savages hand.

EDIT: Also Savage stated in episode 2 he has had 4000 years of training in every pressure point and hold (at least I think he said hold its kind of hard to understand him honestly) imaginable. So honestly I don't see what kind of training he could have gotten in a few decades that he didn't get in 4000 years....

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The knives. IIRC he hasn't used them at all in LoT. In Arrow/Flash those were his main weapons before the Staff of Horus.

Wasn't that because both times he tried they were immediately knocked out of his hand.

T1793456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rip has one showing, a totally legit showing, but just the one. I haven't seen enough from him yet.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44 said:
@pokeysteve said:

Well he killed Carter by using the surprise element and by overpowering, I wouldn't say that's really impressive. What's interesting is that Ancient Savage beat Prince Khufu in an easy fight, this is impressive because it was said that Khufu was one of the best the warriors on the Kingdom. So even Ancient Savage was pretty badass. Rip showing against Savage is really good and it shows that he is skilled in H2H combat, We will have to see in the next episodes if this feat is an outlier.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ThePreface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too soon? Maybe by episode 8 in LoT Rip will have enough showings/feats so that we can have an idea of where he stands. As of right now he's just a badass normal that beat Savage in h2h once.

nerdchore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rip wins h2h as he was shown to have skill in besting savage. Those scenes werent a low showing for savage they were a high showing for rip. Vandal underestimated him and wasnt prepared for the encounter like he was for ollie. Ollie will make him work for it but rip can win after a good fight.

With gear though ollie wins hands down.

Stormdriven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know why people are throwing around the terms "high and low end showing/feat" when Rip has two feats in close quarters. Rip beating Savage isn't a high end feat for him, and Vandal losing isn't a low end feat for Vandal.

TheSuperor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Oliver both rounds

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44:

I see where you're coming from but Vandal's first appearances had him destroying the whole Arrow crew. Rip has nothing to suggest he could do that.

Carter doesn't really have any feats either. I'd back Ollie against both of them.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44:

I see where you're coming from but Vandal's first appearances had him destroying the whole Arrow crew. Rip has nothing to suggest he could do that.

Carter doesn't really have any feats either. I'd back Ollie against both of them.

Well to be fair the arrow team kind of took turns attacking him. And Oliver did alright against Savage in the fight where Savage destroyed the city. Also why does Rip need more showings than beating Savage to suggest he is capable of fighting him?

Avatar image for staticdwanyemcduffie
StaticDwanyeMcduffie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: Do know why The Flash was standing there while everyone was fighting Vandal? It didn't make sense to me at all

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: Do know why The Flash was standing there while everyone was fighting Vandal? It didn't make sense to me at all

I think he was waiting for an opening to grab the staff.

Avatar image for staticdwanyemcduffie
StaticDwanyeMcduffie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: When Vandal Savage first fought them in the pentahouse and Vandal threw a knife Barry caught, stood in the background for the like the rest of the fight.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Pokeysteve

@jashro44 said:
@pokeysteve said:

@jashro44:

Also why does Rip need more showings than beating Savage to suggest he is capable of fighting him?

How do you figure he doesn't? Ollie has 4 seasons of good feats. Rip has one showing.

Stormdriven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pokeysteve: He doesn't need more feats to show he can contend with Vandal if one of the two feats he has is actually contending with Vandal.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jashro44

How do you figure he doesn't? Ollie has 4 seasons of good feats. Rip has one showing.

I meant why does Rip need more feats to suggest he can fight Savage? Its as Stormdriven said. All though in regards to this its not about quantity its about the quality of the showings.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Idk, Rip just being ridiculously good was kind of weird. Whats he need Sara for if he's better? And if he is better then Sara why did she handle 99% of the goons they fought?

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Idk, Rip just being ridiculously good was kind of weird. Whats he need Sara for if he's better? And if he is better then Sara why did she handle 99% of the goons they fought?

Well Sara does know things, like the markings of Savage's men and how they were trained mercenaries, I'm guessing her main use is stealth (she managed to sneak up on Rip in the same episode). So she does have her uses. Also she only beat 2-4 whereas Rip defeated 2 guys, and its not like Rip really struggled with anyone. So while she did beat more guys than him I don't think it shows she is better than Rip.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By The_Kidd

CW clowned Savage by letting Rip beat him(twice) in the same episode. Savage should be able to take on the team in terms of H2H. Having one of the non-powered solo him takes away Savage's intimidation factor.

R1: This might actually be close due to Ollie falling off a bit caused by his change in moral perspective.

R2: Ollie handily.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto Have you seen Legends of Tomorrow? If so what did you think of Rip Hunter beating Vandal Savage?

FatherChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By FatherChaos

Rip has a British accent. He one-shots.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By Zetsu-San  Online

@the_kidd: Savage was lacking his speed feats as shown in the crossover episode, so I don't think that counts.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Zetsu-San  Online

@jashro44 said:

@nickzambuto Have you seen Legends of Tomorrow? If so what did you think of Rip Hunter beating Vandal Savage?

It was bull. He should have been a complete blur to Rip Hunter. Savage in his first appearance was a low level magical speedster with super strength and a number of other unnamed mystical powers. The one we saw in the last Legends of Tomorrow episode was a joke.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd: Savage was lacking his speed feats as shown in the crossover episode, so I don't think that counts.

So between this episode set in 1975 and the crossover in present time Savage somehow gets faster?

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Zetsu-San  Online

@the_kidd: Yes. They haven't explained what happened, but he was most definitely NOT moving as fast as he was in the first crossover. It's either PIS or he was missing some magic artifact.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd: Yes. They haven't explained what happened, but he was most definitely NOT moving as fast as he was in the first crossover. It's either PIS or he was missing some magic artifact.

The only magic artifact Savage used in the crossover was the Staff and he didnt even have it for his fights with the Sailors/Police and the first encounter with Arrow/Flash.

Avatar image for deactivated-59953d77c6a44
deactivated-59953d77c6a44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: I'm a little behind. I still need to watch this week's episodes of all three shows (Flash, Arrow and Legends). I'll get back to you on this once I do (although off the top of my head it definitely seems weird for Rip Hunter to be capable of defeating Vandal Savage by himself. I'll need to see exactly what happened)

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto: Sorry for the spoilers.....I tried to prevent it. If its worth anything the fights between Savage and Rip were pretty lack luster IMO. Sara's fight in the episode was pretty badass though.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Pokeysteve

@pokeysteve: He doesn't need more feats to show he can contend with Vandal if one of the two feats he has is actually contending with Vandal.

He needs more feats to show he can contend with Ollie. Savage isn't in this fight.

@jashro44 said:
@pokeysteve said:

I meant why does Rip need more feats to suggest he can fight Savage? Its as Stormdriven said. All though in regards to this its not about quantity its about the quality of the showings.

It is about quality and the Savage that Rip fought was not the same Savage in the crossovers. Crossover Savage had incredible speed and displayed skill and strength that we haven't seen much on the show. No one was able to take him 1v1 for very long. He was only a piece of what he was on Arrow and Flash.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Wolfrazer

To those saying it's weird that Rip did what he did, why is that so? He's a Time Master right? Who's to say he didn't time jump all over and picked up fighting abilities?

FatherChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wondering why tf Rip didn't just bring a gun and shoot Savage in his first life.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wondering why tf Rip didn't just bring a gun and shoot Savage in his first life.

I'm guessing they wanted to make Rip look badass.