Ridley (Other M) vs Queen Metroid (Other M)

Avatar image for arranvidreturns
ArranVidReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Ridley (Other M) vs Queen Metroid (Other M) (4 votes)

Ridley (Metroid: Other M) 25%
Queen Metroid (Metroid: Other M) 75%
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

• 
ArranVidReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bump

ArranVidReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bump

ArranVidReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anybody wanna comment? :-)

AlphaBLT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for amethystgravity
AmethystGravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Queen Metroid can blitz and one-shot, just like it happened in the story...or am I missing something?

The argument that Ridley was injured doesn't mean too much, given that his (arguably) best combat speed feat was when he had those same injuries (dodging Samus's plasma beam shots at melee range). It doesn't change that the Queen can still one-shot, since her life drain isn't counterable by Ridley and her striking power--supposedly capable of one-shotting Samus, though I haven't seen this--is far above Ridley's durability.

Even if Ridley starts in the air, or takes flight if the Queen hesistates to blitz, the massive durability advantage, plus the literal firepower advantage, makes that type of fight still in the Queen's favor.

Ridley's smarter, more agile, more cunning, and has an innate talent for planning, but in the end, the Queen Metroid has some giant advantages in combative arenas.

ArranVidReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Queen Metroid can blitz and one-shot, just like it happened in the story...or am I missing something?

The argument that Ridley was injured doesn't mean too much, given that his (arguably) best combat speed feat was when he had those same injuries (dodging Samus's plasma beam shots at melee range). It doesn't change that the Queen can still one-shot, since her life drain isn't counterable by Ridley and her striking power--supposedly capable of one-shotting Samus, though I haven't seen this--is far above Ridley's durability.

Even if Ridley starts in the air, or takes flight if the Queen hesistates to blitz, the massive durability advantage, plus the literal firepower advantage, makes that type of fight still in the Queen's favor.

Ridley's smarter, more agile, more cunning, and has an innate talent for planning, but in the end, the Queen Metroid has some giant advantages in combative arenas.

Yeah that's why I put this battle because I was wondering whether Ridley's injuries hampered him

thank you very much for your answer :-)

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7 JediXMan  Moderator

Queen Metroid. Though personally, I think the Ridley is Other M is weaker than most versions.

AmethystGravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman said:

Queen Metroid. Though personally, I think the Ridley is Other M is weaker than most versions.

Interesting! Why do you think so?

If by most versions, you mean Omega Ridley, Meta Ridley, and Neo Ridley, I certainly agree. As for the manga/Zero Mission Ridley, Meta Ridley from Prime 3, and Ridley from Super Metroid, though, I would think Other M's Ridley is at least on par (though Super Metroid's Ridley is very limited, due to 2-D, gameplay-reliant feats.)

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JediXMan  Moderator

@amethystgravity:

I would put Other M Ridley below Super Metroid Ridley for two reasons: first, I think Other M Ridley was still in the process of developing / regenerating in every battle of Other M (plus, Samus had stupidly restricted most of her abilities anyway... I still hate that so much), and because this version appeared to lack the strategic mind of previous versions. No idea where I would place Fusion Ridley, though the fanboy in me wants it to be more powerful than Other M (since Other M is my most hated Metroid game and Fusion is my favorite). I'm not sure about ZM Ridley and I've forgotten most of Ridley's feats from the comics, but I would say that Prime 3 Ridley should be more powerful than Other M, since that version was a threat to Samus in the PED Suit.

Super Metroid, despite being graphically limited, felt like the most powerful Ridley and, honestly, the most powerful Samus with the possible exception of Fusion Samus. This was an experienced Samus versus an experienced Ridley, with no hindrance on either one, fighting 1v1. Samus essentially killed Ridley here, while future versions of Ridley are mere husks.

Cor_Tsar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman: you think sm Samus was stronger than echoes and corruption Samus?

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JediXMan  Moderator
@cor_tsar said:

@jedixman: you think sm Samus was stronger than echoes and corruption Samus?

In general, yes, with the exception of the light suit and possibly the PED suit. I think the Fusion Suit, PED Suit, and Light Suit are the most powerful.

AmethystGravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman:

I would put Other M Ridley below Super Metroid Ridley for two reasons: first, I think Other M Ridley was still in the process of developing / regenerating in every battle of Other M (plus, Samus had stupidly restricted most of her abilities anyway... I still hate that so much) and because this version appeared to lack the strategic mind of previous versions.

That's true about Ridley's development, and I agree the the authorization mechanic could have been...well, something else, to say the least.

As for the strategic mind, Ridley still called the creatures to distract the soldiers in his first fight, and he "played possum" so to speak in their second fight, though I agree that his experience and his general strategy aren't

as strong as the original.

No idea where I would place Fusion Ridley, though the fanboy in me wants it to be more powerful than Other M (since Other M is my most hated Metroid game and Fusion is my favorite).

Fusion is my favorite, too! I actually liked the story of Other M; for me, it was the music and gameplay that felt rather sloppy (two reasons I have Hunters as my least favorite). Fusion's Ridley being the most powerful would make sense, since the X seemed to develop their creatures' abilities, like the SA-X being immune to Samus' missiles and other weapons, unlike Samus in Super Metroid vs something like the Torizo.

I'm not sure about ZM Ridley and I've forgotten most of Ridley's feats from the comics, but I would say that Prime 3 Ridley should be more powerful than Other M, since that version was a threat to Samus in the PED Suit.

I agree that the Omega Ridley Samus fights with the PED Suit is superior. However, the Meta Ridley fought in the beginning of the game seemed weaker than most Ridleys since Samus defeated him with just the charge beam, missiles, Varia Suit, and two energy tanks.

Super Metroid, despite being graphically limited, felt like the most powerful Ridley and, honestly, the most powerful Samus with the possible exception of Fusion Samus. This was an experienced Samus versus an experienced Ridley, with no hindrance on either one, fighting 1v1. Samus essentially killed Ridley here, while future versions of Ridley are mere husks.

That's a fair point, and I think that Super Metroid Ridley is the most challenging (though my lack of skill at Super Metroid might make me biased :) ).

I personally think that end-of-game Fusion Samus should be significantly (though not too extremely) better than other versions of Samus, since she's the most experienced and has basically the SA-X's equipment/abilities, Metroid abilities, and Fusion's abilities, though Super Metroid Samus does seem a strong contender for 2nd place.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JediXMan  Moderator

@amethystgravity:

Fusion had a great story, and it was just a straight forward gameplay upgrade from Super Metroid. All around great.

I couldn't even finish Hunters - I think that's the only Metroid game I haven't finished (that and Metroid 2, which I haven't even played). The gameplay was so clunky and glitchy. I hated Other M's story, though. Not all of it; I liked the story of MB, but I hated Samus' characterization and the fact that she acted so submissive to Adam. I wouldn't have minded if the game focused on Samus in her early career, but this was Samus after the Primes, after Super Metroid, and right before Fusion. This was a hardened, mature, skilled Samus, not a child.

This, right here, upset me so much.

Loading Video...

The Samus that I know wouldn't have cowered or frozen, especially this late into her career. This is only acceptable if it is her first encounter... not here. This is why I can't consider Other M Samus to be comparable to any of the others.

As for the strategic mind, Ridley still called the creatures to distract the soldiers in his first fight, and he "played possum" so to speak in their second fight, though I agree that his experience and his general strategy aren't

True, but this wasn't something beyond what an intelligent animal could do, or even what a mini boss can do. Ridley isn't some animal; Ridley is a seasoned Space Pirate commander. It actually bothers me that Ridley's final death came at the hands of the Queen Metroid and not Samus.

AmethystGravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman:

I couldn't even finish Hunters - I think that's the only Metroid game I haven't finished (that and Metroid 2, which I haven't even played). The gameplay was so clunky and glitchy.

Yeah, Hunters is pretty difficult due to the gameplay. The final boss is kind of annoying for that reason, and while I wouldn't say Gorea is the epic most epic final boss, the buildup of the monstrosity Gorea is makes it more satisfying to defeat it, in my opinion. Honestly, I think it might be the most in-game-hyped-up boss in the entire series.

As for Metroid 2, that's what the remake is for! It looks amazing...

I hated Other M's story, though. Not all of it; I liked the story of MB, but I hated Samus' characterization and the fact that she acted so submissive to Adam. I wouldn't have minded if the game focused on Samus in her early career, but this was Samus after the Primes, after Super Metroid, and right before Fusion. This was a hardened, mature, skilled Samus, not a child.

The Samus that I know wouldn't have cowered or frozen, especially this late into her career. This is only acceptable if it is her first encounter... not here. This is why I can't consider Other M Samus to be comparable to any of the others.

I also thought MB was the best element of the story, in that it puts two incongruous subjects together: the sociopathy of Mother Brain with the naivete of a child. MB is probably on my top 10 favorite characters in the series (though when the only ones with personality are MB, Ridley, Samus, and arguably a few others, that doesn't say too much...).

As for the Ridley encounter...I do agree that Samus being completely paralyzed does seem rather inconsistent. However, I do agree with some aspects of this video, and honestly, Super Metroid seems to be the most traumatic and stressful game in the series for Samus. Mother Brain, who was always a cold- jealous, yet pseudo-parental.authority figure for Samus in the manga, nearly succeeds in killing Samus. The only time Samus has come so close to such immediate danger of death (not just potential danger, like Dark Aether collapsing on her) are when Dark Samus blasted her in Prime 3, and when Samus was a child, IIRC. The Baby Metroid--which Samus had viewed as a sort of family--nearly kills Samus, then dies saving Samus. Ridley seems to die for good (in pretty much every other of his "deaths," his fate had been ambiguous, like falling off the crater in Prime, disappearing in a Phazon cloud in Prime 3, etc) since Ridley's head detaches and Zebes blows up. Speaking of Zebes, the majority of Samus's childhood is completely annihilated when the planet crumbles.

Honestly, I felt that the story of Other M was supposed to show Samus growing and resolving her past, with the Suit--a symbol of her mental state--fluctuating in the story until it stabilizes at the end, and her combative ability--also connected with her mental status--being some of the worst we've seen in the beginning (getting tagged by a Reo, getting floored by Adolescent Ridley, getting snatched up by Goyagma, etc), to defeating Other M's Queen Metroid while Samus also deals with her final regrets. Whether the story succeeded or not is arguable--Samus not standing up to the Colonel at the end was a bit of a let-down--but by Fusion, Samus has matured even more as a character, resolving to do what she knows is right, regardless of personal danger or the agendas of the corrupt.

True, but this wasn't something beyond what an intelligent animal could do, or even what a mini boss can do. Ridley isn't some animal; Ridley is a seasoned Space Pirate commander. It actually bothers me that Ridley's final death came at the hands of the Queen Metroid and not Samus.

That's a fair point; I agree, Ridley wasn't as fiercely cunning as he could have been.

Honestly, I sort of liked that the Queen defeated Ridley. Sure, it was pretty silly that Samus fell for the whole possum trick at first (flashbacks to the Scan Visor telling Samus that the Chykka's chances of resurrection by Ing were unlikely), but Samus did just thought Anthony died in a pretty awful way to go, so she was distracted. I felt like it highlighted how powerful the Queen was, and thus how deadly Melissa was. Ridley's always been the sarcastic general, like when he laughed at Mother Brain and Grey Voice, unlike how everything else on Zebes is basically telepathic puppets for Mother Brain. In Other M, Ridley actually seems to threaten MB's control, so his death sort of signifies MB's true power--her intelligence, resourcefulness, and willingness to remove any threats to her plan.

ArranVidReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman said:

@amethystgravity:

Fusion had a great story, and it was just a straight forward gameplay upgrade from Super Metroid. All around great.

I couldn't even finish Hunters - I think that's the only Metroid game I haven't finished (that and Metroid 2, which I haven't even played). The gameplay was so clunky and glitchy. I hated Other M's story, though. Not all of it; I liked the story of MB, but I hated Samus' characterization and the fact that she acted so submissive to Adam. I wouldn't have minded if the game focused on Samus in her early career, but this was Samus after the Primes, after Super Metroid, and right before Fusion. This was a hardened, mature, skilled Samus, not a child.

Loading Video...

I agree with what I've underlined :-)

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JediXMan  Moderator

@amethystgravity:

You're right that Super Metroid was the most psychologically stressful game for Samus. In theory, that could work if the dialogue were better written, or if Samus had to deal with her problems by herself without leaning on guntoting father / brother figures. It's also a bigger problem that the first game wherein Samus actually talks regularly features the weakest version of her.

I would have much preferred if the game was set when she was a Federation soldier, and met Ridley for the first time (or at least the first time after Ridley killed her family).