Riddler vs. Calculator

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 43

#1  Edited By Joygirl

Lex Luthor has decided that he wants an adviser on a certain project, and he wants the most adept mind he can find for the task. After some time, he narrows it down to two brilliant, obsessive-compulsive masterminds -- Edward Nigma, AKA The Riddler, and Noah Kuttler, AKA The Calculator.

No Caption Provided

vs.

No Caption Provided

----------------------------------------------

Lex gives each contestant ten million american dollars and fills them in on their challenges. First, they have one month to discover the deepest, darkest secret of their opponent, using any means and all resources available to them.

Then, they will be given two months to use that information against one another. A winner will not be chosen until one is either dead or in a straitjacket, but if the two months passes then they have one final challenge -- a chess match.

They have half an hour to play, on a platform above a massive shark tank. The loser is dropped in. If the game does not end by the time that half hour is up, both contestants are dropped and Lex decides to find someone better.

Who is the greater mind?

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By rav4

As much as I love the Riddler, I'd have to give this one to Calculator... I think the Riddler has a much more creative intellect, while Calculator's is far more analytic. Though Riddler has knack for deductive thinking, as well, when it comes to discovering secrets about a person, well, Calculator was able to discover Oracle's identity as Barbara Gordon in just a few encounters with her. He also has far better equipment, resources, and computer skills, on the level of Oracle herself.

That being said, I feel Calculator would be far more likely to slip into a straightjacket if his secrets were used against him... though in a chess match, I don't see Calculator losing.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Joygirl

@Ravager4: Though note that they were both given ample money. ^_^ Riddler can do some amazing things with his resources. When Calculator starts to hear riddles he can't answer, and his driving desire to know absolutely everything kicks into overdrive, will he be too distracted to function against Ed?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#4  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I actually don't know but I'm gonna go with Ed just because I like him more 

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By rav4

@Joygirl: They were given money, yes, but given Calculator's experience with utilizing better equipment, and his skill in with computers (let's be honest, you can find out anything with decent computer skills, just look at Oracle. It also extends to hacking into other computers, satellites, surveillance systems, etc. he could be watching Riddler 24/7 if he wanted), I think he'd be able to do a lot more with that money.

It also depends. When he's focused on knowing something specific, he blindly ignores everything else in order to figure it out. I don't think a few riddles would deter him from figuring out Riddler's darkest secret, which would be the thing he'd be obsessing over at the time.

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Project_Worm

Same as Jonny. I don't have solid reason but I think Riddles be cooler...

Nordok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Nordok  Moderator

My vote would be for Riddler. Calculator is more, well, calculating, but I think Nygma is more creative. Logic is predictable; creativity is adaptable.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Joygirl

Bumpz.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Joygirl

Buuuump.

Avatar image for ancient_0f_days
Ancient_0f_Days

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ancient_0f_Days

Post feats or links for both characters just in case some don't know who someone is ... (I know we all know who Riddler is, but Calculator isn't as attuned to the limelight of Comic Vine)

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Joygirl
Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Xanni15

Based on their respective pages, I would lean towards the Calculator. He can control and use computers exceptionally well, so finding out secrets would be easier. He can use them to eavesdrop on Riddler and see what his plans are, right? It also seems like his mind wouldn't be affected by any emotions, so Riddler trying to be unpredictable wouldn't likely work as Calculator would just adapt to the situation.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Joygirl

@Xanni15: Calculator can get distracted, actually... his crush on Barbara Gordon cut hard into his concentration of unveiling Oracle.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#14  Edited By Xanni15

@Joygirl:

I did not know that. Hmm...Well I guess that might be easy for Riddler to find out about, but Barbs seems like she wouldn't willingly be drawn into this. I think Calculator being able to control computers might be the biggest advantage here.

jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jeanroygrant

@Jonny_Anonymoussaid:

I actually don't know but I'm gonna go with Ed just because I like him more
Imagine_Man15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Imagine_Man15

@Nordok said:

My vote would be for Riddler. Calculator is more, well, calculating, but I think Nygma is more creative. Logic is predictable; creativity is adaptable.

I like this answer.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Joygirl

Trying to keep this rolling.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Joygirl

Bump. :D

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By Bruxae

Im gonna cast my vote for calculator, although it is gonna be a close one.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Onemoreposter

@Joygirl: I think Riddler wins this in fairly spectacular fashion. Calculator, in my mind, is pretty much an amalgam of Oracle and the Penguin. Hes a mover and a shaker. You tell him what you need and he'll find someone who has it. His tech savvy allows him to organize and conduct large groups of people much like oracle does (or did I guess). However, he's not the orchestrator, only the conductor. He can tell the players how and win to play but he didn't write the music.

Riddler, at his best, has been shown to be one of Batman's most devious cunning and deadly rogues with an intellect debatably but possibly on par with Bruce's. Remember when he went good (during One Year Later I believe)? He was able to keep up with Batman on all the major cases and was Gotham's premier day time detective. Also, Riddler is no stranger to innovating and building his own tech. As far as I can tell, w/e tech the Calculator uses is usually acquired from some third party, such as Lex Luthor when he was working for him over that long pre-IC stretch.

In and out of comics Riddler has infinitely better feats and stats than the Calculator. I can't believe how many people are actually giving their vote to a guy who's entire resume for villainy is sitting behind a computer monitor.

XiiX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By XiiX

Riddler.

Rick_Grayson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Rick_Grayson

I think they'd both spend all their time trying to sabotage the other, leading to both being dropped in.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Joygirl

Bump!

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump.

Shikarenji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going with Riddler

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By dondave

@Nordok said:

I like this answer.

This

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bump

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump

oceanmaster21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#29 oceanmaster21  Online

The Riddler FTW

nerdchore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: hmm interesting battle. me likes. XD

I think I agree with some of my cohorts that riddler is more adaptive and has the brains to get calculator on the edge. also by that means i think lex would appreciate riddler more.

Riddler for the win.

Keenko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

Doesn't Caculator have techno-pathy?

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@keenko: No. He did for a minute but that was an amp.

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#34 Icarusflies  Moderator

@joygirl said:

@keenko: No. He did for a minute but that was an amp.

It wasn't temporary. His technomancy was displayed in BoP, but also later in Stephanie Brown's Batgirl run.

Oscuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Riddler cuz idk who the other guy is.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@icarusflies: It was too an amp, he got it by bonding with that one robotic life form thing and he became a weird Voltron Calculator. Maybe he still had it later but that's the only time I recall him having technopathy. Regardless he doesn't have it for this battle.