No Caption Provided

Round 5: A Moon busting Attack

Where does he die at?

#2 Posted by MaiitoGuy8 (447 posts) - - Show Bio

Stops at 1

#3 Edited by Supermanthor (21739 posts) - - Show Bio

4 max

#4 Posted by ZillaG (615 posts) - - Show Bio

I wanna say he survives through everything, but it's very hard to figure Superman out given his inconsistency... I mean most recently in Doomsday clock he got put into a coma by a city busting explosion, which is just ridiculous... the same explosion didn't even kill Batman... it makes no sense.

#5 Posted by Gaoron (9225 posts) - - Show Bio

If we ignore low ends and focus on high ends like we are supposed to 4 or definitely 5.

#6 Posted by Sazzmi (699 posts) - - Show Bio

I could honestly see him surviving the last round seeing as he's been getting better and better feats recently.

Avatar image for theoneabovelife
#7 Posted by TheOneAboveLife (1200 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Posted by KanyeCosby (7254 posts) - - Show Bio

He clears

#9 Edited by Yamiyodare (1695 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Edited by Kirkseven (3135 posts) - - Show Bio

@kanyecosby: You think he can survive a moon busting attack?

Avatar image for randybutternubs
#11 Posted by RandyButterNubs (569 posts) - - Show Bio

Stops at 4

#12 Posted by baph (2338 posts) - - Show Bio

Stops at 3.

#13 Posted by jay_z94 (8405 posts) - - Show Bio

@gaoron: We aren’t supposed to focus on low or high end feats, we need to focus on what his consistent feats are.

#14 Posted by Standardized (1502 posts) - - Show Bio

He probably clears, his recent durability feat against the world forger is pretty good.

Avatar image for consciouskeeper
#15 Posted by Consciouskeeper (2594 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

While weakened he was only dazed by this so he clears IMO.

#16 Posted by Gaoron (9225 posts) - - Show Bio

@jay_z94: As per rules we use characters at best of their abilities. So high ends (unless they are extreme outliers) should take presence.

#17 Edited by XLR87T3 (10201 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman clears. Tanks a planet-busting detonation at ground zero entirely unscathed. He was in mid-sentence and was trying to help save the people on the planet, but in the second scan the planet was already destroyed and after that we see Superman flying away (so he tanked it first).

https://s7d8.turboimg.net/sp/5526dbfec4996e2dd6427bd1851b72f2/Superman_2016-_041-016.jpg

https://s7d8.turboimg.net/sp/0a2a3a8da58c2d64f1379851471709e7/Superman_2016-_041-017.jpg

https://s7d8.turboimg.net/sp/faf4f17217e9bdecca5a72e671e05264/Superman_2016-_041-018.jpg

https://s7d8.turboimg.net/sp/4a01bd29bc5efb961459ba7b68f3b197/Superman_2016-_041-019.jpg

#18 Posted by KanyeCosby (7254 posts) - - Show Bio

@kirkseven: Recently, he tanked getting slammed into a planet so hard that it created an entire asteroid field around it.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2

I don’t know exactly how strong that it, but seeing that Superman was mostly fine from this, I’d say he could survive a moon level attack.

#19 Posted by ZillaG (615 posts) - - Show Bio

@xlr87t3: That feat was debunked numerous times by Superman fans themselves, he never tanked the explosion. How could he when he can't even tank stuff like this

No Caption Provided

#20 Posted by ZillaG (615 posts) - - Show Bio

@kanyecosby: I know that's a cool feat given that Superman is weakened, but it only created a crater like 5 meters in diameter at best, so i am not sure if that's the best argument of him surviving a Moon busting attack.

#21 Posted by michaelfnshotz (200 posts) - - Show Bio

@zillag: what level explosion was this that ko'ed supes?

#22 Posted by KanyeCosby (7254 posts) - - Show Bio

@zillag: Eh, that seems to me to be more like PIS. This kind of stuff happens all the time in comics. I mean just as an example, Hulk almost sank the entire eastern seaboard with a footstep at the end of the World War Hulk storyline. Even though he did this, not a single building even nearby was destroyed as a result of this. In reality, this footstep if it had been that powerful, should have destroyed all of New York City. Even though this footstep caused almost no actual destruction, that doesn’t discount the fact that his footsteps were powerful enough to shake the entire eastern seaboard of the United States. This same logic applies to Superman. The writer likely just made a mistake in showing how much of the planet should have actually been destroyed. The whole point of that feat in the first place was to show just how hard Superman was hit. That’s why it zooms out showing how large the shockwave was. I mean, does it even really make sense that a blow that could hurt Superman and cause shockwaves that dwarf the entire planet would make a a crater that was only a couple meters deep?

Avatar image for blackpantherisb
#23 Posted by blackpantherisb (7340 posts) - - Show Bio

Based on consistent feats he clears comfortably.

#24 Posted by tensor (8589 posts) - - Show Bio
#25 Posted by tensor (8589 posts) - - Show Bio
@zillag said:

@xlr87t3: That feat was debunked numerous times by Superman fans themselves, he never tanked the explosion. How could he when he can't even tank stuff like this

No Caption Provided

That was not a normal blast an that was done by Doctor Manhattan. Read a comic before try putting down a character.

#26 Posted by tensor (8589 posts) - - Show Bio

@xlr87t3: He also has feat when weakend that he took in JL from different planets.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

#27 Posted by Rockette (6026 posts) - - Show Bio

Clears, but round 4 hurts a lot & round 5 almost ends him.

Avatar image for the_living_tribunal_24
#28 Posted by The_living_tribunal_24 (6689 posts) - - Show Bio

based on the current jl run he clears imo

#29 Posted by baph (2338 posts) - - Show Bio
#30 Edited by NWgzsjUwhM96Y2 (4426 posts) - - Show Bio

@baph: Comics don't have such trivial(!) things like consistency. A character gets written by 10s of authors with different takes on them. He has as many building level anti feats as his city+ level feats from what i know.

Avatar image for thebestofthebest
#31 Edited by ThEBeStOfTheBeST (12148 posts) - - Show Bio
@zillag said:

No Caption Provided

That wasn't your average explosion (at the top left corner of the panel) and it was planned by Dr Manhattan, unless you think Superman's durability is human-level in which case I really can't help you. Besides, despite his fluctuating power levels, he still has feats like tanking a 10 megaton blast at point blank range, and hits capable of creating explosions visible from the moon (twice), and surviving the Earth's core (twice), and earthquakes that were shacking the planet, and his recent durability feats (referring to the Ultraviolet blast that was going to destabilize the Earth's core and the World Forger feat, he was weakened in both instances) and so on..

OT: stops at 4, and could potentially survive the last round.

#32 Edited by DarkHoudini (382 posts) - - Show Bio

Either stops at round 5 or he clears.

Avatar image for supermanforever
#33 Posted by Supermanforever (9026 posts) - - Show Bio

he should clear, had some pretty decent feats as of late.

#34 Posted by bdelloidgrain2 (1988 posts) - - Show Bio

No Caption Provided

This. He clears.

#35 Edited by baph (2338 posts) - - Show Bio

@nwgzsjuwhm96y2: Yeah they do, take for example Thanos, when a character is written to be at a certain level, every now and then they get feats on that level, while the low showings are less than the good/decent ones.

Thanos has more high-end feats than low ends, characters do have consistency(atleast most of them).

#36 Edited by ZillaG (615 posts) - - Show Bio

@thebestofthebest said:
@zillag said:

No Caption Provided

That wasn't your average explosion (at the top left corner of the panel) and it was planned by Dr Manhattan, unless you think Superman's durability is human-level in which case I really can't help you. Besides, despite his fluctuating power levels, he still has feats like tanking a 10 megaton blast at point blank range, and hits capable of creating explosions visible from the moon (twice), and surviving the Earth's core (twice), and earthquakes that were shacking the planet, and his recent durability feats (referring to the Ultraviolet blast that was going to destabilize the Earth's core and the World Forger feat, he was weakened in both instances) and so on..

OT: stops at 4, and could potentially survive the last round.

I don't care if the explosion came from the Presence itself, it was still at city level and it still didn't even kill Batman, that's the point i am trying to make about inconsistency not that such explosions are suppose to KO Superman in the first place. Which is why in my first post i already mention Superman should survive all of this, but for every good feat he also gets feat that don't make sense and while he survived inside Earths core twice, he also almost died to it once according to him. In fact he also couldn't destroy a bomb precisely because it was durable enough to survive Earths core, apparently Earths core is a big deal to him.

#37 Edited by ZillaG (615 posts) - - Show Bio

@tensor said:
@zillag said:

No Caption Provided

That was not a normal blast an that was done by Doctor Manhattan. Read a comic before try putting down a character.

I know that, so? A blast from Manhattan that wiped a city and didn't kill Batman.

Even the other feat you mentioned he had to deflect some of the blast with his X-ray field otherwise he would die and those blast could at beast destroy a planets core after multiple shots.

#38 Posted by ZillaG (615 posts) - - Show Bio

@zillag: Eh, that seems to me to be more like PIS. This kind of stuff happens all the time in comics. I mean just as an example, Hulk almost sank the entire eastern seaboard with a footstep at the end of the World War Hulk storyline. Even though he did this, not a single building even nearby was destroyed as a result of this. In reality, this footstep if it had been that powerful, should have destroyed all of New York City. Even though this footstep caused almost no actual destruction, that doesn’t discount the fact that his footsteps were powerful enough to shake the entire eastern seaboard of the United States. This same logic applies to Superman. The writer likely just made a mistake in showing how much of the planet should have actually been destroyed. The whole point of that feat in the first place was to show just how hard Superman was hit. That’s why it zooms out showing how large the shockwave was. I mean, does it even really make sense that a blow that could hurt Superman and cause shockwaves that dwarf the entire planet would make a a crater that was only a couple meters deep?

Yea except the problem is we still know the consequences of Hulks footstep in the event, while with Superman being slammed it's all just a guessing game. There is no even mention of it being a planet, or a moon or just a planetoid, the whole celestial object could be tiny or could be enormous, it's all a guessing game on our part.

#39 Posted by XLR87T3 (10201 posts) - - Show Bio
#40 Edited by ZillaG (615 posts) - - Show Bio

@xlr87t3: No it hasn't, nobody could still show a single panel of Superman being hit by the blast. A poll was already done asking people if they think Superman tanked that blast or not and the vast majority agreed he didn't, which is why nobody except for you even brought up that showing in this thread. Show me him tanking the explosion and we will talk, instead of assuming what might have happened off panel.

#41 Posted by Kirkseven (3135 posts) - - Show Bio

@tensor: That looks interesting, can you describe what's going on there exactly?

#42 Posted by KanyeCosby (7254 posts) - - Show Bio

@zillag: Official descriptions in issues #20 and #21 refer to Superman being on a world in that scan. That’s why I think the feat is so impressive because the shockwave and the asteroid field created around it completely dwarfed an entire planet.

#43 Edited by NiteLite (2722 posts) - - Show Bio

#44 Posted by NWgzsjUwhM96Y2 (4426 posts) - - Show Bio

@baph: What level would you put Thanos at consistently ? How many feats of that caliber he has without amps ?

#45 Posted by baph (2338 posts) - - Show Bio

@nwgzsjuwhm96y2: In terms of durability he's atleast star level, given how he rarely gets injured, and when he does it's usually someone at Skyfather level or with an amp(or context).

He has survived a black hole that was sucking everything within a 2 light year radius, no-sold Silver Surfer's blast to his face, tanked attacks from Odin, no-sold planetary explosions on 3 instances(one was at one of his first appearances, he got upgrades later on), tanked Black Bolt's shout , tanked hits from Power-Gem Thor, survived a blast from Kosmos and iirc, recently he got his body vaporized and didn't die.

#46 Posted by NWgzsjUwhM96Y2 (4426 posts) - - Show Bio

@baph: Star level is waay to high imo.

Bigger the black hole less the surface gravity thus the less impressive it is to survive. That wouldnt put him even near moon level at all.

SS doent have any star level feats. And even if he had, since he has energy manipulation he can just make a star go supernova by countering radiation pressure without being close to star level. He destroyed planetoids tho. By low end interpretations, those planets are at least 1200 km because they are spherical. Imo it is questionable if he can one shot Earth without manipulating a massive energy source.

If we actually the to quantify it, surviving being on an exploding planets surface isn't that impressive. In fact it is barely a city level feat.

Black bolts shout was city level in that instance iirc and even marvel itself lists his shout at nuke level.

Like Thanos himself Thor, surfer and bb all barely have feats above moon level even decades of stories featuring them. Dunno about cosmo

#47 Edited by DarkHoudini (382 posts) - - Show Bio

@kanyecosby said:

@zillag: Official descriptions in issues #20 and #21 refer to Superman being on a world in that scan. That’s why I think the feat is so impressive because the shockwave and the asteroid field created around it completely dwarfed an entire planet.

Don't forget issue #24 where Superman is said to need to escape his "prison planet".

#48 Posted by ZillaG (615 posts) - - Show Bio

@kanyecosby said:

Don't forget issue #24 where Superman is said to need to escape his "prison planet".

World is an arbitrary word use to describe Moons, large landscapes, countries, even cities, but if they specifically used the word planet, that is all that's needed.

However @kanyecosby can you point to me where the asteroids around it dwarfed the planet itself? I haven't seen that comparison?

#49 Posted by baph (2338 posts) - - Show Bio

@nwgzsjuwhm96y2:

Star level is waay to high imo.

It isn't when you consider the fact that he has tanked attacks from characters that are above Star level on a consistent basis.

Bigger the black hole less the surface gravity thus the less impressive it is to survive. That wouldnt put him even near moon level at all.

The actual BH itself is capable of compressing a planet to the size of a peanut, that is far above Moon level, and given the fact that the artificial black hole got materialized fairly close to Thanos's ship, it is safe to say that he got pretty close to it, so saying it's not even a moon level feat is straight up dumb.

SS doent have any star level feats. And even if he had, since he has energy manipulation he can just make a star go supernova by countering radiation pressure without being close to star level. He destroyed planetoids tho. By low end interpretations, those planets are at least 1200 km because they are spherical. Imo it is questionable if he can one shot Earth without manipulating a massive energy source.

It wasn't meant to be taken as a star level feat, but rather to show how Thanos can casually no-sell attacks from planet busters without even moving.

If we actually the to quantify it, surviving being on an exploding planets surface isn't that impressive. In fact it is barely a city level feat.

He survived the explosion from a gas giant that got it's core ignited, that IS a planetary feat, you have to be trolling if you're actually sugggesting that it's a city level feat.

2nd, he clashed with Drax, the shockwaves of the clash destroyed the planet, meaning the actual hit between the two was far more powerful.

Black bolts shout was city level in that instance iirc and even marvel itself lists his shout at nuke level.

No it isn't, lol. Just because it didn't cause enviromental damage doesn't mean it wasn't more powerful than that, if you actually read comics you'll notice that this happens all the time, otherwise 616 Earth would've been destroyed a long time ago.

Like Thanos himself Thor, surfer and bb all barely have feats above moon level even decades of stories featuring them. Dunno about cosmo

Nice try.

#50 Edited by PrimelyGreat (638 posts) - - Show Bio

@consciouskeeper said:

No Caption Provided

To make this even more impressive, the Superman from the 6th Dimension was actually the World Forger. The brother of Monitor and Anti-Monitor.

No Caption Provided