• Versions are as pictured
Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 Sy8000  Online

Raiden is a glass cannon without significant damage output feats. Doomsday shrugs off his attacks then one-shots. Raiden's speed advantage won't be a huge detriment considering he failed to blitz a random scientist and was tagged by missiles so avoiding AoE energy attacks is well beyond his paygrade.

TG_15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seriously? I mean seriously? Even if we go by DCCU, Raiden has nothing to hurt Doomsday. Not to mention Doomsday's spikes pierces his armor with relevant ease.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Raiden is a glass cannon without significant damage output feats. Doomsday shrugs off his attacks then one-shots. Raiden's speed advantage won't be a huge detriment considering he failed to blitz a random scientist and was tagged by missiles so avoiding AoE energy attacks is well beyond his paygrade.

I'll be honest and say I'm not a huge Raiden expert so I'm probably not equipped to debate this, but considering Raiden cuts through metal gears I think he can hurt doomsday. Doomsday honestly might not be that fast. When superman and wonder woman fought doomsday they never used there speed much against him from what I remember and doomsday did have issues tagging Batfleck. Either Batfleck is a lot more impressive than everyone thinks or doomsday was able to tag wonder woman and superman due to plot mostly.

I can't really comment if Raiden can counter energy attacks though.

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 juiceboks  Moderator

@jashro44: Well Batman did use his grappling hook to stay out of Doomsday's range for the majority of the time, I don't think he ever straight up dodged an attack.

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Sy8000  Online

@jashro44 said:

I'll be honest and say I'm not a huge Raiden expert so I'm probably not equipped to debate this, but considering Raiden cuts through metal gears I think he can hurt doomsday. Doomsday honestly might not be that fast. When superman and wonder woman fought doomsday they never used there speed much against him from what I remember and doomsday did have issues tagging Batfleck. Either Batfleck is a lot more impressive than everyone thinks or doomsday was able to tag wonder woman and superman due to plot mostly.

Why? The Metal Gear he cut through wasn't very big and they're just made of metal and therefore less durable than Doomsday.

He doesn't need to be fast. Raiden's not on a speed tier where he can put up fights solely on that virtue. Armstrong beat the crap out of him and he was never stated, shown or implied to have enhanced speed.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@highaccuser: Well his sword does cut on the molecular level by breaking down molecular bonds upon striking contact with anything.

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By BeaconofStrength

@highaccuser said:
@jashro44 said:

Why? The Metal Gear he cut through wasn't very big and they're just made of metal and therefore less durable than Doomsday.

He doesn't need to be fast. Raiden's not on a speed tier where he can put up fights solely on that virtue. Armstrong beat the crap out of him and he was never stated, shown or implied to have enhanced speed.

To be completely fair, Armstrong was able to effortlessly match Sam's speed while holding back, and caught Raiden's sword out of mid air. Also, Raiden not blizting the doctor to hell is an low end feat, considering all of Raiden's other speed feats, which range from hopscotching on missiles to effortlessly swatting bullets out of the air. It was also stated in a guidebook that Armstrong is essentially Vamp revved up to 100. He's not slow by any means.

But I'm not sure if Raiden can beat Doomsday and/or has a counter for his AOE.

nickzambuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are you saying that Raiden is not durable?

nickzambuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@highaccuser said:
@jashro44 said:

To be completely fair, Armstrong was able to effortlessly match Sam's speed while holding back, and caught Raiden's sword out of mid air. Also, Raiden not blizting the doctor to hell is an low end feat, considering all of Raiden's other speed feats, which range from hopscotching on missiles to effortlessly swatting bullets out of the air. It was also stated in a guidebook that Armstrong is essentially Vamp revved up to 100. He's not slow by any means.

Which guidebook was this?

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Sy8000  Online

When was that? And Raiden and Armstrong were moving very slow if we compare their speed to things around them. Not blitzing the Doctor isn't really that low. Bullet blocking is something many street levelers have accomplished and those were slow ass missiles given the debris around them was moving faster. It's not like he's supersonic. Being Vamp revved up clearly doesn't have much bearing on speed and I'd consider Vamp much faster than Armstrong.

Are you saying that Raiden is not durable?

I'm saying his durability is fairly low. He's been hurt by attacks from Metal Gears that caused very little damage to the surroundings and low level missiles that barely damaged the roof he was standing on.

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sy8000  Online

@highaccuser: Well his sword does cut on the molecular level by breaking down molecular bonds upon striking contact with anything.

This hasn't been tested on anyone as durable as Doomsday. No one in Metal Gear is. At best Raiden can cut him given Wonder Woman did (giving him the benefit of the doubt) but with extreme effort and not enough he couldn't heal.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol

nickzambuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@highaccuser: "I'm saying his durability is fairly low. He's been hurt by attacks from Metal Gears that caused very little damage to the surroundings and low level missiles that barely damaged the roof he was standing on."

When did any of this happen?

Maverick_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Maverick_6

Raiden has been punched hundreds of feet away just like Armstrong, was punched hard enough by Armstrong directly with enough force to cause an explosion capable of leveling a block and well, even fodder cyborgs in rising dodge blasts of plasma that cut skyscrapers in half.

Relatively sure that Raiden can dodge doomie's eye beams like he dodges ray. Area of Attack doesn't seem enough to destroy or even, incapacitate him, given that Doomsday. If Doomsday win, it's because of his healing factor and immortality. But even then, I don't see why the Marumasa can't cut him.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Raiden wins.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17 Lunacyde  Moderator

@jashro44 said:
@highaccuser said:

I specifically remember one scene in the fight where Wonder Woman streaks across the screen so fast you can't tell what it is, and Doomsday just punches her away sending her skipping through concrete debris. I don't think Wonder Woman and Superman got nerfed in speed to fight him, if anything I think the writers pulled the same BS that keeps Batman alive in a lot of scenarios where he is outclassed in JLA stories.

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Sy8000  Online

@highaccuser: "I'm saying his durability is fairly low. He's been hurt by attacks from Metal Gears that caused very little damage to the surroundings and low level missiles that barely damaged the roof he was standing on."

When did any of this happen?

Well here a helicopter fired some missiles which did small damage to the roof and Raiden was hurt:

Loading Video...

There's also here where he was easily hurt by fodder:

Loading Video...

The Metal Gear instance admittedly may have been in his first body from Rising so I suppose that would be invalid (provided there's even any indicator he's even more durable in his second body...)

Point is Raiden is easy to hurt and there's not much to contradict this. Especially considering the kinds of attacks that damage him in gameplay, like bullets and explosions.

jamaicangoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Raiden can be hurt by conventional weaponry, then what's stopping Doomsday from murdering him?

Avatar image for bigdumbsmartguy
BigDumbSmartGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@highaccuser: Being able to slice sustained machinegun fire out of the air before any of the bullets hit him, gives Raiden supersonic reactions and combat speed, at the very least Mach 2.

Frocharocha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Doomsday wins/ he has no means of piercing the big guy.

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Sy8000  Online

@highaccuser: Being able to slice sustained machinegun fire out of the air before any of the bullets hit him, gives Raiden supersonic reactions and combat speed, at the very least Mach 2.

So Elektra is mach 2 now? Because she's very peak human and has done the same. Why do you think that level of feat requires mach 2 speed anyway? He doesn't need to move as fast as the bullets or anything.

batmanprep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is very close. I believe raiden's HF blade can harm doomsday and raiden has more than enough speed to blitz

BigDumbSmartGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@highaccuser: Actually, he does. Being able to deflect a machinegun firing at, say, 600 RPM, all of those rounds are traveling at around 2300-2500 feet per second, beyond Mach 2.

To deflect each and every one you have to move the blade to a new position for each round. That requires supersonic reflexes and movement.

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@highaccuser:In the Sam DLC, Armstrong was casually matching Sam's speed, in cut scene.

@nickzambuto: It was in a Japanese guidebook, which talked about the region exclusive DLC and how Armstrong was designed from Vamp and made to be Raiden's new and more dangerous Vamp.

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Sy8000  Online

@beaconofstrength said:

@highaccuser:In the Sam DLC, Armstrong was casually matching Sam's speed, in cut scene.

@nickzambuto: It was in a Japanese guidebook, which talked about the region exclusive DLC and how Armstrong was designed from Vamp and made to be Raiden's new and more dangerous Vamp.

I wasn't aware of that. Still, Sam and Armstrong weren't moving at speeds above blur level (at best) in that fight and I see no reason to hold Armstrong's speed in a high regard. I mean we could see environmental factors during his fight with Raiden like the wind blowing and sparks flying which were faster than them (or at least not slow in comparison).

The_BladeWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By The_BladeWolf

@nickzambuto said:
@beaconofstrength said:
@highaccuser said:
@jashro44 said:

Which guidebook was this?

No Caption Provided

He is so pumped on nano roids that his power is off the charts..... makes sense because without a plot device weapon like the Murasama, Armstrong cant be beaten by ordinary weapons or even regular molecular busting HF Blades.

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Sy8000  Online

@highaccuser: Actually, he does. Being able to deflect a machinegun firing at, say, 600 RPM, all of those rounds are traveling at around 2300-2500 feet per second, beyond Mach 2.

To deflect each and every one you have to move the blade to a new position for each round. That requires supersonic reflexes and movement.

No it doesn't. You can just move preemptively or telegraph aim, and it's not like the distance he's moving his blade is large...again Elektra has done the same and she's nowhere near mach 2.

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Sy8000  Online

No Caption Provided

He is so pumped on nano roids that his power is off the charts..... makes sense because without a plot device weapon like the Murasama, Armstrong cant be beaten by ordinary weapons or even regular molecular busting HF Blades.

That only says he's comparable to Vamp for comparison's sake not that his powerset is similar, or even that nanomachines and speed are proportionate or hell, even that he has enhanced speed at all (there is no confirmation of such in this entry).

BigDumbSmartGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@highaccuser: But he doesn't move pre-emptively. He literally slices the bullets out of the air, he basically swats them. He isn't just moving his sword a few inches to compensate, he's swinging the sword and cutting bullets.

In the intro cutscene Sam was reacting to and slicing bullets fired from a weapon merely 10~ feet away from him. That's a reaction (and movement) of around .004 seconds. Raiden performs similar feats casually. That's AT LEAST Mach 2.

The_BladeWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By The_BladeWolf

Armstrong DOES have a Kaio Ken esque attack though (at 00:48), MAN this guy was epic compared to the piece of shit villains from the mainline MG series post MGS2

Loading Video...

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Sy8000  Online

@highaccuser: But he doesn't move pre-emptively. He literally slices the bullets out of the air, he basically swats them. He isn't just moving his sword a few inches to compensate, he's swinging the sword and cutting bullets.

In the intro cutscene Sam was reacting to and slicing bullets fired from a weapon merely 10~ feet away from him. That's a reaction (and movement) of around .004 seconds. Raiden performs similar feats casually. That's AT LEAST Mach 2.

Again, characters incredibly slower than supersonic have achieved similar feats, not to mention Raiden's struggled performing far lower speed feats like blitzing a scientist, dodging a missile he has plenty of warning about, or avoiding attacks from Armstrong who had no semblance of speed.

BigDumbSmartGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@highaccuser: I don't care if slower characters have achieved 'similar' feats, and I don't know jack about Elektra. This isn't about what other characters have done, this is about how ballistics work. If a machinegun is firing at you at 600 RPM, that's 10 rounds per second. Since Raiden isn't just moving his sword a couple of inches to block each bullet and is in fact swiping them out of the air, let's say he's moving his arm a total of 4 feet per swipe. That's lowballing it, but fine. 40 feet of movement total, per second, one swipe per bullet.

Now you have to bring the velocity of the bullet into account, so let's say 2300 feet per second. If the weapon is fired 10 feet away, you have .0043 seconds to react to the bullet's trajectory and move your arm 4 feet to slice the bullet. Let's allow .001 seconds for reaction time (which is absurd btw). Moving your arm 4 feet in .0033 seconds clocks your arm's movement at 1212 feet per second, a little above Mach 1, and then you have to stop and swing again for the next bullet.

And Raiden deflects bullets fired at distances far less than that. So his speed is actually higher.

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Sy8000  Online

@highaccuser: I don't care if slower characters have achieved 'similar' feats, and I don't know jack about Elektra. This isn't about what other characters have done, this is about how ballistics work. If a machinegun is firing at you at 600 RPM, that's 10 rounds per second. Since Raiden isn't just moving his sword a couple of inches to block each bullet and is in fact swiping them out of the air, let's say he's moving his arm a total of 4 feet per swipe. That's lowballing it, but fine. 40 feet of movement total, per second, one swipe per bullet.

Now you have to bring the velocity of the bullet into account, so let's say 2300 feet per second. If the weapon is fired 10 feet away, you have .0043 seconds to react to the bullet's trajectory and move your arm 4 feet to slice the bullet. Let's allow .001 seconds for reaction time (which is absurd btw). Moving your arm 4 feet in .0033 seconds clocks your arm's movement at 1212 feet per second, a little above Mach 1, and then you have to stop and swing again for the next bullet.

And Raiden deflects bullets fired at distances far less than that. So his speed is actually higher.

You realize that calcs are incredibly flawed to the point they're borderline unusable right? Those figures are all incredibly subjective and unreliable and there are a number of factors impossible to determine.

BigDumbSmartGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@highaccuser: LOL, really? The moment I use MATH to prove my point it becomes invalid? Why even use units of measurement if we're just going to ignore what they mean? Doesn't ignoring basic math and measurement invalidate all strength/lifting feats?

In the words of Hubert Farnsworth,

"No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!"

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Sy8000  Online

@highaccuser: LOL, really? The moment I use MATH to prove my point it becomes invalid? Why even use units of measurement if we're just going to ignore what they mean? Doesn't ignoring basic math and measurement invalidate all strength/lifting feats?

In the words of Hubert Farnsworth,

"No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!"

Your math is based on subjective figures and can't be confirmed. Calculations have never been commonly acceptable as solid reasoning on the vine.

BigDumbSmartGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@highaccuser: Can't be confirmed? Actually, you'll find that if literally anyone else punches those same numbers into a calculator they'll get the same thing. Math isn't subjective, buddy, it's 100% objective. Metal Gear is a universe where despite the cyborgs and sci-fi, everything is presented realistically, at least in the context of the setting. It's part of Metal Gear's widespread appeal; being presented as if it were happening in real life.

If someone fires a bullet in the Metal Gear universe, it can be assumed that the bullet can be treated as if it was fired in real life. Meaning it can be placed under the same physical properties, including velocity.

Honestly I was being generous by giving a machine-gun comparison. Many 5.56mm weapons, ie the weapons issued to the Mooks in MGR, can fire rounds up to 2500 feet per second, which would make Raiden's speed feats even more impressive.

If you're refusing to acknowledge my argument simply because I'm analyzing one of the few quantifiable feats I have at my disposal, then I have to say you're being kind of ridiculous.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Lunacyde  Moderator

@bigdumbsmartguy: He means that your inputs are subjective. Math will always come out the same, but it depends upon what numbers you input.

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Sy8000  Online

@bigdumbsmartguy:

Math isn't subjective, buddy, it's 100% objective.

Don't call me buddy.

And it's not the math I'm ignoring it's the numbers you're punching in combined with the fact that aim blocking is a thing.

BigDumbSmartGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BigDumbSmartGuy
@highaccuser said:

@bigdumbsmartguy:

Don't call me buddy.

And it's not the math I'm ignoring it's the numbers you're punching in combined with the fact that aim blocking is a thing.

Edgy.

Anyway, if you want to suggest that all of the bullet deflection that goes on in Metal Gear Rising is aim blocking then I'm going to say you're bloody insane. If you're actually suggesting that Raiden and Sam's ability to casually block gunfire with 100% reliability, regardless of the rate of fire of the weapon, is just aim blocking, then this debate can no longer continue.

There are so many variables you're choosing to ignore if you think this is just aim blocking. Chiefly this is the natural spread of the weapon. If you hold an automatic weapon down with an immovable vice and fire a full magazine downrange at full auto, the rounds aren't going to be 100% accurate. Multiple factors play into this, whether it be the barrel of the gun flexing after every shot, the vibrations along the barrel affecting the bullet's trajectory, whatever. The point is, no weapon is 100% accurate, especially when firing at full-auto. Raiden deflects full-auto gunfire all the time, while running and jumping.

Not to mention, he deflects fully-automatic gunfire from mooks. If you're telling me that a fully-automatic rifle can be adequately aim-blocked in the hands of a soldier, WHILE MOVING, then... I dunno what else there is to say.

Travestatoe9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Travestatoe9
@highaccuser said:

@bigdumbsmartguy:

Don't call me buddy.

Edgy.

Anyway, if you want to suggest that all of the bullet deflection that goes on in Metal Gear Rising is aim blocking then I'm going to say you're bloody insane. If you're actually suggesting that Raiden and Sam's ability to casually block gunfire with 100% reliability, regardless of the rate of fire of the weapon, is just aim blocking, then this debate can no longer continue.

There are so many variables you're choosing to ignore if you think this is just aim blocking. Chiefly this is the natural spread of the weapon. If you hold an automatic weapon down with an immovable vice and fire a full magazine downrange at full auto, the rounds aren't going to be 100% accurate. Multiple factors play into this, whether it be the barrel of the gun flexing after every shot, the vibrations along the barrel affecting the bullet's trajectory, whatever. The point is, no weapon is 100% accurate, especially when firing at full-auto. Raiden deflects full-auto gunfire all the time, while running and jumping.

Not to mention, he deflects fully-automatic gunfire from mooks. If you're telling me that a fully-automatic rifle can be adequately aim-blocked in the hands of a soldier, WHILE MOVING, then... I dunno what else there is to say.

Your argument is horribly flawed though

If, for example, someone shoots a mach 2 projectile from say 15 feet, I guess in this case an automatic, you wouldn't need mach 2 movement and reflexes since you'd only be moving your sword a few inches to each new position. Mach 2 projectile would come from 15 feet, you'd only have to move your arm maybe 6 inches, that would make your twitch reflexes and movement 1/30 of mach 2. You'd only have to cover a few inches distance where the bullet would be coming from 15 feet away in this example.

BigDumbSmartGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@travestatoe9: Except as I already stated and as can be seen in the source material, Raiden and Sam don't just move their swords a few inches to block additional rounds, they actually swing the sword this way and that, slicing the bullets out of the air. They aren't BLOCKING bullets, they're SLICING them.

Maverick_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol. Raiden's travel Speed and Combat speed are not the same thing. Of course, he can dance around doomsday and tank his omnidirectional blasts because he has dodged similiar already. Doomsday is all blunt damage and Raiden has been shown to eat that up and then some.

As for the Speeds needed to Block Bullets, it starts going very well into the supersonic realm the closer you get. And Sam does it point blank in the first cutscenes. And Raiden/San fightba helluva lot faster than supes and WW given that Zandatsu is functionally their speedblitz.

This is far from a stomp :/

Travestatoe9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Travestatoe9

@bigdumbsmartguy said:

@travestatoe9: Except as I already stated and as can be seen in the source material, Raiden and Sam don't just move their swords a few inches to block additional rounds, they actually swing the sword this way and that, slicing the bullets out of the air. They aren't BLOCKING bullets, they're SLICING them.

Hahaha you have no idea what you're rambling about do you? It doesn't matter if they're blocking or slicing them, they're still only moving their swords a few inches each direction where as the bullet would travel on average 15-20 feet. If a bullet is fired from 20 feet and you move your sword lets say 12 inches even to SLICE the bullet, that makes you 1/20 the speed of that bullet but you only have to move 1/20th the distance to compensate.

To further prove my point

Loading Video...

Here's a pretty hilarious instance of Raiden being unable to save George from a guy who has a gun to his head. Couldn't blitz, couldn't throw his sword and his only option was to literally bifurcate George

I know you're not very bright but please THINK before posting next time.

SamJackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Decapitation?

BigDumbSmartGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BigDumbSmartGuy

@bigdumbsmartguy said:

Hahaha you have no idea what you're rambling about do you? It doesn't matter if they're blocking or slicing them, they're still only moving their swords a few inches each direction where as the bullet would travel on average 15-20 feet. If a bullet is fired from 20 feet and you move your sword lets say 12 inches even to SLICE the bullet, that makes you 1/20 the speed of that bullet but you only have to move 1/20th the distance to compensate.

To further prove my point

Loading Video...

Here's a pretty hilarious instance of Raiden being unable to save George from a guy who has a gun to his head. Couldn't blitz, couldn't throw his sword and his only option was to literally bifurcate George

I know you're not very bright but please THINK before posting next time.

People love to toss around that low feat as if it somehow invalidates every single one of Raiden's other feats. That's not really how it works. By the way, I don't have to insult people to debate because I'm not a child. Grow up.

Loading Video...

Also your argument isn't even correct. In this cutscene Sam slices three bullets POINT BLANK, and as you can VERY CLEARLY SEE, his sword is not moving mere inches. He's swinging it to cut each and every round. Raiden's speed is equal to or above Sam's level and he performs similar feats casually.

So maybe it's YOU that needs to do some research, especially before you start insulting people.

jmser34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigdumbsmartguy: sweet, I have a new respect for raven. But if bullets can hurt him, one hit from DD would destroy him. Not to mention he was able to fight against Supes who has Super sonic fighting ability, and it seems ww has Super Sonic as well(not to sure, I need to see more).

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Lunacyde  Moderator

@travestatoe9: Let's avoid insults in the future. You can make a point without ad hominem.

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By WastelandMan
Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Raiden, Death battle said he could beat Wolverine, who one shotted Gladiator with a pressurepoint, Gladiator is a comic character, so obviously he's more powerful then any live action character.