#2 the_red_viper  Moderator

Achilles, and this isn't very close.

SwagPack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Achilles is a better fighter with better equipment.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00
deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Achilles, and this isn't very close.

How so? If we're talking speed Ragnar does give Achilles a run for his money.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 rogueshadow  Moderator

Achilles murders him.

SwagPack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Achilles is faster. He was slaughtering his enemies even when surrounded, managed to one-shot Boagrius before he could react, he even blocked an arrow with his shield without looking. He was able to kill a horseman by throwing a spear and hitting him in the neck from this distance. His stamina is also insane.

Rockette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Better give Ragnar some help. Either Bjorn or Rollo.

Ragnar & Rollo vs Achilles would be EPIC!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00
deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Even tho i don't see this match as one sided as most people are making it sound like, I see them both equal.

Khael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Achilles, easy.

Rustlingjimmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even tho i don't see this match as one sided as most people are making it sound like, I see them both equal.

not even close

GodEmperor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

my man achilles

HDoom16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But isn't Achilles invincible besides his Achilles?

Pierpat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Pierpat

Achilles easily.
Ragnar is portrayed in a totally realistic way combat-wise, he is above average but not even "epic" from that point of view, it's his wits and leadership that make him heroic.
Achilles is flat out a peak human unstoppable warmachine

@hdoom16 said:

Nooot in that film

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator

@hdoom16 said:

A child asked Achilles the same thing at the opening of the film, and he replied that if he were truly invincible, he wouldn't bother wearing armor or carrying a shield.

azrael1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rockette said:

Better give Ragnar some help. Either Bjorn or Rollo.

Ragnar & Rollo vs Achilles would be EPIC!

Even then it's Achilles 10/10

Paytience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@swagpack said:

12th century steel vs bronze? And Ragnar knows well how to fight against spears. It's just that he is fighting movie Achilles, and movie Achilles' battle awareness is effin (am I allowed to say that?) ridiculous. Achilles wins...but against just about any other similar matchup, Ragnar or Rollo would likely win. Vikings looks kinda base, but it is actually VERY good fighting. Any one else, I would probably make an argument for Ragnar. For example, I think he would beat Hector. But it's just...Achilles is stupid hard to debate against, if I'm just being honest.

azrael1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By azrael1973

@paytience said:
@swagpack said:

12th century steel vs bronze? And Ragnar knows well how to fight against spears. It's just that he is fighting movie Achilles, and movie Achilles' battle awareness is effin (am I allowed to say that?) ridiculous. Achilles wins...but against just about any other similar matchup, Ragnar or Rollo would likely win. Vikings looks kinda base, but it is actually VERY good fighting. Any one else, I would probably make an argument for Ragnar. For example, I think he would beat Hector. But it's just...Achilles is stupid hard to debate against, if I'm just being honest.

They were not using bronze in that movie. You see how Hector blocks the tip of Achilles sword with his heavy shield? He gets pushed back 6 metres away and is visibly shaken. No Bronze weapon would survive that. Either that or he is using Haephestos weapons, which his mother got for him. (That's not in the movie)

Loading Video...

Movie Achilles is basically Captain America in ancient Greece. A supersoldier.

Book Achilles is much stronger. He was that powerful that they had to add a weakness. We all know that Supermans Achilles heel is Kryponite.

Ah here is his mother receiving his magical weapons. (Non canon) Thetis Receiving the Weapons of Achilles from Hephaestus is a 1630-32 painting by the Flemish painter Anthony van Dyck.

No Caption Provided

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azrael1973: According to the script, Bronze was being used.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

@azrael1973: No point in the film was it indicated Achilles had magical weapons or armor.

Either way, he stomps on superior physicals and skill.

azrael1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By azrael1973

@wolfrazer said:

@azrael1973: According to the script, Bronze was being used.

Sure, everything else would be a anachronism. But it's not what we see. A Bronze sword would be broken if used with that force. The ancient greece wouldn't use that sword dance they show on the movie either. Actually the historical accuracy in the movie is a disaster.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0332452/goofs

The main weapon used by foot soldiers in this movie is the pike. The earliest recorded large scale use of pike was started by Philip II of Macedon, Alexander The Great's father around 330 BC. These soldiers came to be known as the Macedonian phalanx. Trojan war was fought around 1260 BC.

azrael1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azrael1973: No point in the film was it indicated Achilles had magical weapons or armor.

Either way, he stomps on superior physicals and skill.

I was joking :)

Avatar image for deactivated-61364388226ff
deactivated-61364388226ff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Achilles stomps.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Wolfrazer

@azrael1973: Well the movie clearly doesn't need to be realistic in what armor and weapons do. It happens in movies.

Paytience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Paytience

@azrael1973 said:
@paytience said:
@swagpack said:

They were not using bronze in that movie. You see how Hector blocks the tip of Achilles sword with his heavy shield? He gets pushed back 6 metres away and is visibly shaken. No Bronze weapon would survive that. Either that or he is using Haephestos weapons, which his mother got for him. (That's not in the movie)

I disagree. Weapon's grade bronze is on par with mild steel. Yes it will bend eventually, not flex, and when it does fail it is more likely to shatter, and no it will not hold the same edge as really well made mild steel; but it isn't outclassed in performance. It is heavier, and can break, presenting an advantage to steel, but peak performing bronze vs peak steel of the Viking era would not be that disimilar.
Bronze didn't fall out of use because iron was ultimately superior. It fell out of use because access to tin was cut off. Steel would not have any real large advantages over bronze until around the 15 century maybe.

So yeah, a Bronze sword would survive that. It just wouldn't survive it it as repeatedly as steel. It far outperforms iron/low grade steel though.

Loading Video...

I wouldn't say that. He is just so far ahead of his contemporaries that it isn't fair.

Book Achilles is much stronger. He was that powerful that they had to add a weakness. We all know that Supermans Achilles heel is Kryponite.

Ah here is his mother receiving his magical weapons. (Non canon) Thetis Receiving the Weapons of Achilles from Hephaestus is a 1630-32 painting by the Flemish painter Anthony van Dyck.

No Caption Provided

Mythical Achilles is irrelevant. Tis is Achilles from the movie troy vs Ragnar.

Ragnar is a good fighter too. Achilles is prettier, but functionally, Ragnar is just as good, and probably even more efficient. It's just that Achilles seems to be supernaturally aware of what's going on around him when he is fighting. He is stupid good at that, and so he likely wins due to that and physicals. But Ragnar has plenty of oppurtunities to end this as well, and his shield work is as good as Achille's in a head to head.

Loading Video...

azrael1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By azrael1973

@paytience said:
@azrael1973 said:
@paytience said:
@swagpack said:

I disagree. Weapon's grade bronze is on par with mild steel. Yes it will bend eventually, not flex, and when it does fail it is more likely to shatter, and no it will not hold the same edge as really well made mild steel; but it isn't outclassed in performance. It is heavier, and can break, presenting an advantage to steel, but peak performing bronze vs peak steel of the Viking era would not be that disimilar.
Bronze didn't fall out of use because iron was ultimately superior. It fell out of use because access to tin was cut off. Steel would not have any real large advantages over bronze until around the 15 century maybe.

So yeah, a Bronze sword would survive that. It just wouldn't survive it it as repeatedly as steel. It far outperforms iron/low grade steel though.

Loading Video...

I wouldn't say that. He is just so far ahead of his contemporaries that it isn't fair.

No Caption Provided

Mythical Achilles is irrelevant. Tis is Achilles from the movie troy vs Ragnar.

Ragnar is a good fighter too. Achilles is prettier, but functionally, Ragnar is just as good, and probably even more efficient. It's just that Achilles seems to be supernaturally aware of what's going on around him when he is fighting. He is stupid good at that, and so he likely wins due to that and physicals. But Ragnar has plenty of oppurtunities to end this as well, and his shield work is as good as Achille's in a head to head.

Loading Video...

Sorry that's not even nearly as efficient. Not even close, some of the guys he fought aren't even dead.

Ragnar has 0% chance to win against Achilles. In that Video he was pushed down by some random warrior, and Rollo saved his ass.

But Vikings is much more realistic. Achilles is a like some ancient version of Captain America or Ozymandias (without his intellect)

Compare the Ragnar scene to the kill count in front of the temple. That's a demigod among men.

Loading Video...