#1 Posted by Racob7 (9954 posts) - - Show Bio

Forgotten Realms versus Mortal Kombat

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#2 Posted by Racob7 (9954 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump

Avatar image for OniLordAsmodeus
#3 Posted by onilordasmodeus (3417 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm inclined to choose Quan, but I really don't know enough about the other guy.

Any one out there able to put down some feats for Jarlaxle?

#4 Posted by Racob7 (9954 posts) - - Show Bio

@OniLordAsmodeus: He's got physicals that are comparable to the top human street levelers in comics. He's a very skilled swordsmen that uses either the traditional Drow two swords style or a less effective but flashier looking one sword style that he uses just for opponents that are beneath him. He throws lots of daggers and is very accurate with them but two out of every three daggers he throws is just an illusion. He's most famous for being like a magical Batman. He has vast magical storage space that lets him carry a ridiculous number of magical trinkets and gadgets that make him extremely versatile and he's also the greatest master of prep and planning in his verse. Much unlike Batman, though, he's totally ruthless and a killer.

#5 Posted by onilordasmodeus (3417 posts) - - Show Bio

@racob7: I'm thinkin gQuan would take this pretty handily then. If Jarlaxle only has lower level magical abilities, like creating dagger illusions, I don't see how he can take on Quan.

Loading Video...

#6 Posted by Racob7 (9954 posts) - - Show Bio

@OniLordAsmodeus: He does have magic, he just moreso relies on his magical items which he has a ludicrous amount of and his genius intellect makes him very good at using them in the perfect possible ways. There's also obviously powerful wizards in D&D, some that would stomp Quan Chi, but Jarlaxle can be more dangerous than them through planning and his items. I didn't give him prep like he would always actually have since he would never be in a fight he didn't plan for ahead of time because even a few minutes of prep would make this a clear win for him, however I think he could even come up with a plan in the middle of fighting Quan Chi.

#7 Posted by Floopay (11272 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm inclined to choose Quan, but I really don't know enough about the other guy.

Any one out there able to put down some feats for Jarlaxle?

Feats for Quan?

Copied/Pasted Jarlaxle Feats from another debate:

Drizzt Do'Urden on Jarlaxle of Bregan D'aerthe

"There is no one in all the world, I believe, more crafty and ingenius than Jarlaxle of Bregan D'aerthe, the consummate opportunist, a wildly leader who can craft a kingdom out of the dung of rothe. Jarlaxle, who thrived in the matriarchal society of Menzoberranzan as completely as any Matron Mother"

--Drizzt Do'Urden on Jarlaxle

This quote is actually kind of important pertaining to Jarlaxle's leadership capabilities. Drizzt is worldly, and has known captains, generals, kings, lords, ladies, queens, and leaders across the many nations of Faerun and the Forgotten Realms. He has over thirty novels and dozens of graphic novels to back up him as a character, and why his opinions are valid. Here is the full scan pertaining to Drizzt's opinion on Jarlaxle (and his partnership with Artemis Entreri):

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4

Jarlaxle's Bracers

They can also reflexively call forth swords. The reason I use reflexively, is because these don't even require thought. The move faster than thought, they move at the speed of reflex. The difference being that reflexive motions don't require the mind to contemplate what is happening, they just happen without thought. This is similar to removing your hand from something hot before your mind comprehends that your hand is hurting or that it is hot.

You can see that some of the daggers are real, and others are not. The estimation by people who have read the novels far more often than myself is that 4/10ths of them are illusions.

The scans are him taunting someone who gives Drizzt Do'Urden a hard time in battle while training. Eventually, Entreri is able to close the distance, but Jarlaxle has no interest in allowing Entreri to ACTUALLY do something offensive against him. He whoops Entreri's butt with a relic he doesn't have here (destroyed in one of the novels).

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4

Jarlaxle's Armor and Basic Magical Barriers

Goblins are small goblinoids that many consider little more than a nuisance. They have flat faces, broad noses, pointed ears, and small, sharp fangs. Their foreheads slope back, and their eyes vary in color from red to yellow. Their skin color ranges from yellow through any shade of orange to a deep red; usually all members of the same tribe share the same colored skin,[2]though they also come in shades of green.[3] Goblins are typically found in dark leathers soiled by poor hygiene and colored in a similar range of tones to their skin.[2] Goblins usually stand between 3'4" and 3'8" and weigh about 40 to 55 pounds on average.[4]

--Forgotten Realms Wiki

Goblins are far stronger than humans in the size:strength ratio, something that should be noted. Despite being less than four feet tall, your average Goblin is only mildly weaker than your typical human. In numbers like the ones Jarlaxle faces here, they can easily stand against drow and human elite fighters. So while they may only be throwing stones and spears, they are plenty powerful.

His defenses easily ward off their attacks, and then he kills them with a powerful illusionary blast of fire.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2

Jarlaxle's Eyepatch

Here is him using it to see through objects (he can't do that in this match), and see through someone's body.

The second is statements as to it protecting his mind against foes. Statements are being made telepathically between a psion and a mindflayer. They also discuss the Crystal Shard a bit (Crenshinniban).

Jarlaxle's Whistle and Signing

Allows him to speak any language and be understood perfectly. This can arguably be used to belay messages to my team. However, there is also a showing of him signing a rather long message in combat. This is all done in the second or so it takes the dragon to face him, and they still have time to react.

Drow use signing in combat often, it's designed to be used that way. My team won't be focused on anything too long while using it.

Jarlaxle's Ring, Lightning, Glue, Levitation, and Daggers

This is Jarlaxle pissing off an Elder Red Dragon that can melt thousands of pounds of gold with a single breath weapon. He plays around with it and toys with it until his friends have gone, and then proceeds to play cat and mouse with it afterwards.

Jarlaxle can dimension door every 15 seconds (which doesn't require thought or command), and has a variety of other powerful goods at his disposal, including:

• Daggers capable of harming a Red Dragon through it's scales. That's a big deal.
  • Lightning capable of harming a Red Dragon, who are somewhat resistant to magic and the elements.
  • The ability to levitate at will.
  • A wand that can glue almost anything in place. This keeps a powerful 100+ ton dragon's tail in place briefly, until it just rips the stone it's glued to out of the ground with it's tail.
  • A cloak that can be activated at will, which will cause him to either turn invisible or displace his location (making him nigh impossible to hit, as he can be anywhere within 10 feet of where he appears to be). He prefers the latter.
Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3

Jarlaxle's Skill

Jarlaxle employs a modified version of the following styles: Drow Dual Longblade, and Swashbuckler. Entreri notes that it's a formidable style with obvious flaws. However, when Jarlaxle leads himself into a corner, vaults over his opponents, and slaughters them in a single motion, Entreri retracts his statement. Noting that he is quite impressed by Jarlaxle's fighting ability.

Artemis Entreri is Drizzt's relative equal, and one of the best fighters of his universe.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5Gallery image 6

Globe of Invulnerability and Wand of Fireballs

The Wand is perfectly capable of blanketing a pretty decent sized area with fire capable of blasting apart a large wooden caravan. It's not as powerful as a rocket launcher, but his a much wider area with about half the amount of force. The Globe protects him.

Let me know if you need more.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

#8 Edited by onilordasmodeus (3417 posts) - - Show Bio

@floopay: Sorry I don't have a ton of time to write my own full list of feats for him, but here is a Reddit respect thread that does a decent job:

There are a few things I'd add honestly, like Quan matching Shang Tsung in strength and durability. Shang Tsung is a confirmed MK Grand Champion, meaning that Shang canoncially took part in the old tournament format, konquering the Test Your Might challenge...

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

...as well as Quan out smarting ALL the Gods by creating an intricate replica of Shinnok's Amulet and keeping the original. He did this in the old timeline, and in MKX he used the copy to fool Raiden while he manipulated his capture and the delivery of the real amulet "behind enemy lines" (Quan freed the Elder God Shinnok on Earth to set the stage of his ascension.

But again, the Reddit RT does a decent job. I can add more info, or answer any questions, if anyone needs any clarification or has a direct feat of Jarlaxle that you think Quan can't match.