Prime Superman VS Prime Captain Marvel

HypeBeastCSB15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Prime Superman VS Prime Captain Marvel (25 votes)

Captain Marvel 36%
Superman 72%
No Caption Provided
  • Pre-crisis, Post-crisis, and New-52 Feats allowed
  • standard conditions
  • Win by any means.

FIGHT!

• 
Avatar image for fullmetalemprah
FullMetalEmprah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By FullMetalEmprah

Hasn't Supes always been above CM physically for the most part? That being said CM's magic is a factor since Clark isn't resistant to it. I'll say that bloodlusted Supes should win but in character I could see an argument being made for Shazam pulling a W. I might be wrong though, I didn't read too much Pre-Crisis.

HypeBeastCSB15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bump.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#4 frozen  Moderator

Hasn't Supes always been above CM physically for the most part? That being said CM's magic is a factor since Clark isn't resistant to it. I'll say that bloodlusted Supes should win but in character I could see an argument being made for Shazam pulling a W. I might be wrong though, I didn't read too much Pre-Crisis.

Pre-Crisis versions they were equal...both Pre-Crisis CM and Superman efortlessly moved planets and stars, and when they fought they routinely stalemated. There was one instance in which Pre-Crisis Captain Marvel actually defeated Kal L (the Golden Age Superman), who was also powerful enough to move stars and planets, and who had stalemated the Silver Age Superman himself...but for much of the case, Pre Crisis Captain Marvel would always stalemate Pre Crisis Superman.

Post-Crisis versions, Superman is more powerful. With New-52, Superman stomps.

Warlockmage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Warlockmage

@frozen said:
@fullmetalemprah said:

Pre-Crisis versions they were equal...both Pre-Crisis CM and Superman efortlessly moved planets and stars, and when they fought they routinely stalemated. There was one instance in which Pre-Crisis Captain Marvel actually defeated Kal L (the Golden Age Superman), who was also powerful enough to move stars and planets, and who had stalemated the Silver Age Superman himself...but for much of the case, Pre Crisis Captain Marvel would always stalemate Pre Crisis Superman.

woah... when did you come back man?

also yeah this is pretty much. It'll be interesting to see how Johns fits Billy into the rebirth hierarchy

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 frozen  Moderator

@warlockmage: I mostly stick to PM's now. Yeah they are taking their sweet time with incorporating him into Rebirth, I imagine he will have more activity with the release of the new film.

KanyeCosby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman has better feats, be it Pre Crisis, Post Crisis, or New 52.

HypeBeastCSB15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Warlockmage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Warlockmage

@hypebeastcsb15 said:

@warlockmage How can I make it more fair?

believe it or not this is the most fair it could... with both pre-crisis feats allowed they are virtually equal you would need to go deep into their feats to find a victor

Avatar image for deactivated-60957cbcbe0f1
deactivated-60957cbcbe0f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

By feats Superman but in comic they would stalemate like they always do.

HypeBeastCSB15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@warlockmage: Is there any knowledgable Shazam debaters I can tag?

KanyeCosby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hypebeastcsb15 said:

@warlockmage How can I make it more fair?

believe it or not this is the most fair it could... with both pre-crisis feats allowed they are virtually equal you would need to go deep into their feats to find a victor

Not really. Pre Crisis Captain Marvel’s best feats were moving around stars, which is impressive but fodder to Pre Crisis Superman who could move and bust stars casually by breathing on them. This is the guy that as a child threw a neutron star one billion light away and moved a galaxy of planets across the universe. These aren’t anywhere near his best feats either.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 frozen  Moderator

Not really, Pre-Crisis Captain Marvel has moved around stars and had other feats of that calibre also. He's also fought and stalemated PC Superman several times, not to mention he knocked out Kal L too.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 frozen  Moderator

Pre Crisis versions they have equally good feats.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49375365792
deactivated-5e49375365792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheLeeAboveAll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Supes. Just cause overall versions he has more wins over Billy than the other way around. I know most are draws and Billy has that sucker punch ko, but I think either could ko the other with a sucker punch.

Kingant27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Supes has more feats but I would back a not holding back Billy as he has all the physical tools, the magic and has dealt with Clark in numerous occasions; he just lacks the amount or the seriousness in general IMO.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@kanyecosby said:

This is not true in the case of Pre-Crisis versions.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 frozen  Moderator

@frozen:

1 of 3 lol

So? This is exactly what I said.

@frozen said:
@fullmetalemprah said:

KanyeCosby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: Can you post some of these feats by Shazam that put him on the level of Pre Crisis Superman? Like I said, the feats I was mentioning aren’t even his best feats. He has stalemated Pre Crisis Superman sure, but Post Crisis Billy has also stalemated Superman and been stated multiple times to be his equal. By actual feats, Superman is way better.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman would probably still win this. I stand by with no CIS/PIS/WIS, and proper writing Cap can beat Superman.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@kanyecosby said:

@frozen: Can you post some of these feats by Shazam that put him on the level of Pre Crisis Superman? Like I said, the feats I was mentioning aren’t even his best feats. He has stalemated Pre Crisis Superman sure, but Post Crisis Billy has also stalemated Superman and been stated multiple times to be his equal. By actual feats, Superman is way better.

I'll have to find my old folder with GA Captain Marvel scans, aside from moving stars, he has thrown planets across the entire universe. The key point here is that he does it with ease.

Post-Crisis Billy hasn't really stalemated Superman, they've had a few scuffles but not prolonged fights. Pre-Crisis Captain Marvel has actually fought and stalemated Pre-Crisis Superman on several occasions. He also knocked out Kal L, the Earth 2/Golden Age Superman, who was equal to the Pre-Crisis Silver Age Superman (Kal L fought and stalemated Silver Age Superman in Justice League #74 and also has star/planetary feats of himself), make what you will of that feat.

Clearly when it comes to scaling characters, Golden Age Captain Marvel's showings against Pre-Crisis Superman are much more reliable than Post-Crisis --- the Pre-Crisis fights clearly indicate that they're both a match for each other, I would not say that is the case for Post-Crisis, as most of their Post-Crisis encounters get broken up/interrupted.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

This is not true in the case of Pre-Crisis versions.

Really? I doubt its not true, I'm ready to debate, but I'd have to see how many feats and how stupid feats does Shazam have, but I'll change my mind only after I see scans.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:
@mr_shazam0920 said:

Pre Crisis versions they have equally good feats.

I doubt it, I am guessing you are missing out all the shit ton of feats Superman and Supergirl have from the bronze age. They were also explicitly shown more powerful in some scenarios.

KanyeCosby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: The thing is that even feats like throwing a planet across the entire universe (if you’re able to, can you post that scan) aren’t on Pre Crisis Superman level. He’s oneshotted a machine which was no selling the Big Bang, altered timelines with his punches, flown into other universes in seconds, almost destroyed reality by flying faster than infinity, hurt Supergirl with his heat vision who was no selling a barrage of quasars, tanked the force of one hundred galaxies and the Big Bang.

As for Post Crisis, Captain Marvel has matched Superman in arm wrestling until he had his power depleted. He has held his own while Superman was possessed by Eclipso. Superman himself has stated in Post Crisis that Billy is exactly his equal. Now do I actually believe this, because of the in universe scaling? No, because Billy doesn’t have feats on the level of Superman.

As for Golden Age Superman, sure he had some impressive feats, but even the very best of them aren’t on the level of Pre Crisis. Also, using Golden Age to scale Captain Marvel doesn’t work very well, because Golden Age is inconsistent in who he is able to match. In Post Crisis, he was shown to be well below Superboy Prime, a Pre Crisis Kryptonian, and he was matched by Post Crisis Superman in Infinite Crisis.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mazahs117:

I agree. But they wouldn’t let it happen.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@kanyecosby: I'm still looking for my scans, but as it stands, we'll just use the star feats. First and foremost, I do not really give much credence to reality altering feats. Hulk has had feats like that. In fact, so has Superboy Prime - the core point is that it's unquantifable. A feat like moving a planet is much more impressive IMO. Kal L, the Golden Age Superman, has had similar feats of 'breaking time barriers', while impressive is not exactly quantifable.

And I think Infinite Crisis power levels are PIS. There is no way that Kal L is only as powerful as Post-Crisis Kal El, they nerfed him for the purposes of that story. Kal L absorbed sunlight at a slower rate than Kal El so it took him longer to become that powerful, however every Pre-Crisis encounter that Kal L had with Pre-Crisis Kal El firmly established them as equals. While it is true that Kal L's feats may not match Silver Age Superman in terms of sheer ridiculous, I think the fact that he's casually tossing planets and stars is pretty much a firm indication that he's approximating that level. Yes he may not have as many feats of ridiculousness as the Silver Age Superman, but their fight in Justice League #74 was very clear-cut scaling. Both of them fought no holds barred for several pages and both stalemated via exhaustion, it was a clear showing purporting them as equals.

Them being equals is reinforced in Superman Family #187 (see below for scan). Now if this mere admission by Kal El was the ONLY statement regarding their power levels, then I'd agree with you that it isn't enough, however it isn't, it's a statement we can use in addition to the fact that they already fought and stalemated. This admission by Kal-El comes several years AFTER the fight that they had, so it is simply reinforcing that initial encounter.

No Caption Provided

Kal L being equal to Post-Crisis Superman seems more like a throwback to how Kal L was portrayed alongside Pre-Crisis Kal El more than anything. If we take the Kal L from COIE and place that version in COIE, without any PIS, he would be more powerful than Superboy Prime.

I don't agree with your point about 'inconsistency' either - nobody was more inconsistent than the Silver Age Superman. He has a lot of horrendously low end feats too that we could use. In fact, more than any other iteration of Superman, the Silver Age Superman has some ridiculously low end feats...so I don't see why you're clinging to his highest end feats yet discarding the lowest.

As for Post Crisis, Captain Marvel has matched Superman in arm wrestling until he had his power depleted. He has held his own while Superman was possessed by Eclipso. Superman himself has stated in Post Crisis that Billy is exactly his equal. Now do I actually believe this, because of the in universe scaling? No, because Billy doesn’t have feats on the level of Superman.

The arm wrestling feat is nice, but it's not an extensive fight. For an example of an extensive fight, see the scans I posted where Kal L fights Pre-Crisis Kal El. The post-crisis ''fights'' between Captain Marvel and Superman are just merely scuffles. If Captain Marvel fought and stalemated Superman in Post-Crisis (which he hasn't done), then I would accept them as equals...that's how character scaling works, you introduce the character and scale them from other characters. Doomsday didn't need to have feats before he fought Superman. As it stands, Captain Marvel hasn't really had a true fight with Superman in Post-Crisis.

In the case of Kal L, I could accept that in terms of sheer ridiculousness, he hasn't shown feats to SA Superman's level, however he has an extensive body of his own impressive feats (moving stars, planets, breaking time barrier, etc) and his fight with Silver Age Superman was very clear cut and definitive. I don't think Kal L needs to prove that he can do everything SA Superman can before matching him, by that logic every character who fights SA Superman or gives him a hard time has to prove themselves via feats, scaling works just fine, especially considering many famous DC villains were first introduced during the Silver Age era...

KanyeCosby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: To be fair though, there’s a differrence to what Superman did and what other characters with reality altering feats have done. Usually with characters like Hulk they give a vague statement of him shattering a time barrier, but we don’t really see much of anything happening. With Superboy Prime, I’d say a large portion of that feat came from the location he was punching. If I recall, Kal L has punched through a dimension, but it’s different from what Superman did.

No Caption Provided

Superman‘s punches were shown to affect the flow of time itself, restoring all of Earth’s possible futures. Superman doesn‘t really need this feat either way. He still has other feats that are also insane.

My main point about consistency was that it’s generally hard to determine how powerful a Pre Crisis character is based off scaling from the fights they’ve had. Fights in Pre Crisis are practically the definition of PIS and WIS.

You have made some great points about Pre Crisis Captain Marvel. Based off scaling and the intent of the writers, they likely are meant to be equals. However, in the actual battle forums, if Pre Crisis Superman and Captain Marvel we’re to go against each other, I would side with Superman 10/10. This is because Superman generally has vastly better feats. Whether it is, striking, lifting, versatility, or speed, Superman is just better. The reason I’m using these high end feats for Superman is to make the point that Pre Crisis Captain Marvel’s absolute best feats are something that Superman does casually on a regular basis. If we compare their regular feats, or their high end feats, Superman is vastly superior.

The problem with Kal L is that, by feats, his level of power even at his best is no where near Pre Crisis Superman. He generally clocks in around the multi planetary level to star level at best. Pre Crisis literally has better breathing feats than Golden Age has feats in general. It may be PIS that Post Crisis matched him, but if you compare their feats, Post Crisis is closer to Golden Age in power, than Golden Age is to Pre Crisis.

Avatar image for supermanforever
Supermanforever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

superman is by feats superior.

baph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman stomps.

Avatar image for professorrespect
ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Shazam.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman stomps.

baph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By baph

@kanyecosby:

Superman‘s punches were shown to affect the flow of time itself, restoring all of Earth’s possible futures. Superman doesn‘t really need this feat either way. He still has other feats that are also insane.

This feat has some context, Superman had help from other characters, and the feat itself is kinda vague, the energies generated from their fight would COUNTER the rings energy, so it's not combat applicable in any way, nor DC-wise.

So no, he wasn't affecting the flow of time with "punches" he had help, and he didn't overpower/matched the energies, he countered it.

KanyeCosby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baph: The only character it says Superman has help from was Jaxon. The Green Lantern in the feat even confirms that Superman can correct the flow of time itself. If he really had help from a bunch of other characters, the Green Lantern wouldn’t have said that.

The energy of the Green Lantern rings were used by Time Trapper to destroy all of Earth’s possible futures. The Green Lantern states that the power of Superman’s battle with Jaxon was able to counter the power of the Green Lantern rings, which were used to destroy Earth’s timelines. In other words, the power of Superman’s battle was able overpower the power of the Green Lantern rings. If he didn’t overpower it, then Earth’s timelines would still be destroyed from the Green Lantern rings.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@kanyecosby: The overarching point is that you can't really quantify or categorize a ''reality altering feat''. Yes it sounds impressive, and to an extent it is, but there are so many feats of that type - those types of feats are just very vague and often used for the plot. This isn't to invalidate that SA Superman can do that, just noting that there are many variations of ''reality altering'' that can occur in comics...

My main point about consistency was that it’s generally hard to determine how powerful a Pre Crisis character is based off scaling from the fights they’ve had. Fights in Pre Crisis are practically the definition of PIS and WIS.

You have made some great points about Pre Crisis Captain Marvel. Based off scaling and the intent of the writers, they likely are meant to be equals. However, in the actual battle forums, if Pre Crisis Superman and Captain Marvel we’re to go against each other, I would side with Superman 10/10. This is because Superman generally has vastly better feats. Whether it is, striking, lifting, versatility, or speed, Superman is just better. The reason I’m using these high end feats for Superman is to make the point that Pre Crisis Captain Marvel’s absolute best feats are something that Superman does casually on a regular basis. If we compare their regular feats, or their high end feats, Superman is vastly superior.

The problem with Kal L is that, by feats, his level of power even at his best is no where near Pre Crisis Superman. He generally clocks in around the multi planetary level to star level at best. Pre Crisis literally has better breathing feats than Golden Age has feats in general. It may be PIS that Post Crisis matched him, but if you compare their feats, Post Crisis is closer to Golden Age in power, than Golden Age is to Pre Crisis.

I disagree with the scaling aspect. That's literally how you determine how a character fares against another...

Yes, if they have never fought before (or never had a 'true' fight), then compare and contrast them with their individual feats, but if a certain character has less appearances or some other reason then I see nothing wrong with scaling. That's how characters have been introduced and established over the decades. Superman may be able to move a planet, but if a new villain is introduced in a storyline, the writers simply aren't going to take the time to also show that that villain can also move a planet and thus match Superman, they're going to just have them fight and show how much of a match he is for Superman. Across the medium of comics, that's how characters are introduced - through scaling. To have the best of both worlds and to be reliable, is to have your own feats and have feats through scaling. In the case of Kal L, we already know he had become very powerful a few years after he was initially introduced, to the point of being able to move planets, build entire cities in seconds, etc, and we have his fight with Kal El in addition to those feats.

Now having a 'Silver Age' feat is a pretty broad spectrum, at the high end you've got SA Superman with his most insane feats. Kal L's upper limits may not have been explored to the extent that SA Superman's was, but that doesn't mean he's not capable of those things. Now I don't doubt the examples you've given, but is it really necessary to show that Kal L can also blow away a star just like Kal El can? I don't really think it is, but if you think it is, then Kal L has in fact used his super-breath to blow away a star (see the scan below):

No Caption Provided

So I simply do not really think it is necessary to have all the feats that SA Superman to show that you're a match for him, the fight he had with Kal L was quite clear and every single instance after that initial encounter simply reinforced the point. At least with Kal L, it isn't just one fight, but their subsequent showings too, so the consistency is certainly there.

Moreover, your point of how inconsistent SA Superman precisely proves my point. Perhaps out of all the iterations of Superman, the SA Superman was the most inconsistent of all. It's easy to take his most high end feats and use that as the basis for what he can do, but it's considerably less tempting than looking at his low end showings, which can get seriously low.

baph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kanyecosby:

The only character it says Superman has help from was Jaxon.

Exactly.

The Green Lantern in the feat even confirms that Superman can correct the flow of time itself. If he really had help from a bunch of other characters, the Green Lantern wouldn’t have said that.

Which is wrong, he had help from Jaxon, the statement is more like "Something saved the day again!" Than him actually being capable of correcting the flow of time.

The energy of the Green Lantern rings were used by Time Trapper to destroy all of Earth’s possible futures. The Green Lantern states that the power of Superman’s battle with Jaxon was able to counter the power of the Green Lantern rings, which were used to destroy Earth’s timelines. In other words, the power of Superman’s battle was able overpower the power of the Green Lantern rings. If he didn’t overpower it, then Earth’s timelines would still be destroyed from the Green Lantern rings.

Not overpower, counter, there's a difference between these 2 words.

He doesn't need to overpower it, the GL says the energy generated would COUNTER the GL Ring's energies. By saying counter, it implies more that the energies were canceled/nullified rather than overpowered.

Chad_Duby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman Prime.