Planet shaking, what buster tier is needed to do it?

• 78 results
Avatar image for deactivated-61215780523f9
deactivated-61215780523f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Planet shaking, what buster tier is needed to do it? (167 votes)

Dog house busting level 10%
City block busting level 1%
City level 1%
Mountain level 2%
Small country 10%
Large country 26%
continental 43%
Galaxy level+ 9%

So according to the good folks here on CV... what tier, or level of attack potency is needed to shake an entire planet? (assume it's earth sized)

• 
MindingMuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Large country

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebab2b43ed4e
deactivated-5ebab2b43ed4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kirkseven said:

@darkhoudini:

It is demonstrably a few times above even multi-continental, no debate about it, anyone else saying differently is just ignorant. I've also debunked the Tsar Bomba thing as well all BPIB's calc.

Care to share? :p

Well Kevd4wg posted this:

Just want to point out that the basis for your calc(5.0 Earthquakes happening on the other side of the globe, if you don't like that BBC also refernces it just doesn't drop the 5.0, but Wikipedia does) literally already happened by the Tsar Bomba when it was fired kilometers in the air... I honestly have no idea how you got that to be multi continent busting lol

No Caption Provided

Nuperman's striking is well above this level, but I have no idea why you're relying on this feat to prove it when stuff like busting the cheese moon with DD/beating up Orion is more impressive....

Obviously the Tsar Bomba wouldn't shake the watchtower, but dude, affecting the earth with planet shaking is not multi continent level

And my response/debunk was:

Oh boy, well bad news, you're wrong, good news is that I don't blame you, your sources are very incomplete and do indeed muddle the waters a bit. Anyway, lets analyse this claim.

5.0 Earthquakes happening on the other side of the globe

At face value this seems to support your argument, but it's plainly wrong, crucial information is missing as to why the blast was measured around the world, which we'll get to later. This page also doesn't provide a source to back up it's claims, always check for sources and go back to the original source when possible, you'll get the information as unfiltered and as accurate as possible.

BBC also refernces it just doesn't drop the 5.0

BBC says "Sensors registered the bomb’s blast wave orbiting the Earth", keyword being sensors, you are aware that humans are not specialized sensors right? We literally build sensors to detect what goes unnoticed by us, sensors are millions of times more sensitive. I think I made crystal clear what I meant by "planet shaking", shaking to the point where it is easily noticeable by the majority of humans, not specialized hypersensitive sensors. This article also fails to mention what kind of sensors, seismometers? Again BBC has no sources from where we can check the original claims.

but Wikipedia does

Now we're getting somewhere, Wikipedia references this article form Motherboard as well as this page from The Nuclear Weapon Archive. The Nuclear Weapon Archive is actually a very good and informative website for all things nukes and it finally does provide us with the original source for this piece of info, which also happens to include some crucial information, but lets look at the Motherboard article first. "Seismic sensors were still picking up the detonation’s shocks even after they’d already circled the earth twice" well at least Motherboard makes clear what kind of sensors they where, still we're talking about highly sensitive sensors here not humans and again Motherbaord's article has no references to look into the claims more thoroughly. Now about that Nuclear Weapon Archive page, it references A Review of Nuclear Testing by the Soviet Union at Novaya Zemlya by Khalturin et al. which can be found here. The relevant information is in page 18 and it reads "The air wave that went around the world entailed a change in air density, resulting in signals on long-period vertical-component seismometers because of the change in buoyancy of the inertial mass", this is crucial information that all other sources failed to mention for the sake of sensationalism probably, you just need to understand how old 60s era seismometers worked. This is nice informative page, as you can see from this diagram:

No Caption Provided

An inertial mass was suspended above the ground with a spring, earthquakes result in the ground underneath to move the mass up and down with the help of the component on the bottom left corner. But let's look at that statement again "The air wave that went around the world entailed a change in air density, resulting in signals on long-period vertical-component seismometers because of the change in buoyancy of the inertial mass", I highlighted the relevant parts, seismometers around the world did not register earthquakes, I repeat they did not register earthquakes from the explosion. What happened was basically an analogue glitch, very interesting actually, the explosion caused a shock wave/blast wave (like I was explaining before about the 20 psi overpressure blast wave), that shock wave caused minute changes in the density of air, and the suspended masses in the seismometers literally fell and rose as the air around them changed density when the air wave passed through, let's say, the facility the seismometer was housed in. It had nothing to do with the ground quaking and that's precisely why there is a very clear distinction made that only vertical seismometers registered the blast around the world (the diagram above is of a vertical seismometer), not horizontal (yes they existed) seismometers, since in those sensors the mass is rested upon a component, laying down if you will, it moves laterally in the case of an earthquake, a change in air density will not make it move up and down so there will be no reading. So that is what basically happened and that's why there are no reports of people around the world feeling a 5.0 earthquake, only extremely sensitive seismic sensors picked it up and that wasn't even because of the actual earthquake, rather a "glitch" in the nature of the vertical seismometers allowed for this to happen. Once again extremely sensitive equipment, probably millions of times more than humans, catching the change in air density is not what I call planet level or shaking the planet at all, there is not even a single report of a human having felt the explosion even a few thousand km away, much less the other side of the world, which is what I calculated above.

Nuperman's striking is well above this level, but I have no idea why you're relying on this feat to prove it when stuff like busting the cheese moon with DD/beating up Orion is more impressive....

Because it's an impressive feat no matter the misinformation and half truths being paraded around.

Obviously the Tsar Bomba wouldn't shake the watchtower, but dude, affecting the earth with planet shaking is not multi continent level

The Tsar Bomba didn't shake shit in planetary terms, its effects where only ever reported to be felt or noticed by humans at a distance of 900 km and that wasn't even because of the resulting earthquake, rather windows cracking because of the air wave. Shaking the planet to the point where it is noticeable by most humans is not multi continent you're right, it's above by a noticeable amount.

Edit: I also forgot to mention that although the Tsar Bomba explosion did create a 5.0+ earthquake, that is true, that doesn't at all mean said earthquake was felt across the planet with the same intensity (I hope it's clear as to why it was registered, mistakenly, in the first place). Like I made clear in my original post you need to be able to distinguish the Richter magnitude the explosion can be translated to (Richter is a unit of energy after all, seismic energy at that) or created in the epicenter with the effects of the blast in large distances.

You were in the thread I think, anyway.

baph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It requires building level striking power since the Earth is flat, it requires less energy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkhoudini: Yeah I was there, I did not read thoroughly on the arguments and counters.

what do you think of this?

No Caption Provided

The energy needed to cause different magnitudes of earthquakes world wide.

Mag 1 is nuke level while the higher ones surpass multi continent level

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kirkseven: Well I don’t know how these results came about/were calculated so I can’t really comment. If you were to show me the link where you got them from, that’d be helpful.

Edit: I found it... It’s wrong since it doesn’t take into account seismic efficiency i.e. the fact that only a fraction of the kinetic energy of an impact ends up as seismic wave energy. If you actually take seismic efficiency into account the result then becomes almost identical to what I’ve calculated. I’ll explain in more detail in a few.

Chair-Sama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comic_crusader: I saw vswiki they have it at small country level.. so busting Japan could do it?

maybe depends on the cointries density? like tibet/nepal are small but completely fillied with steep dense mountains, versus flat plains

ShuraGam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Multi-continental at least. The character's power would have to be shaking all of the tectonic plates at once to do so.

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

City level.

MattyBoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Large country. Whats galaxy level doing here?

Stezzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Large country doesn't sound right. I'm sure the entire globe won't feel a country being wiped off the map.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still multi-continental+, always was.

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 takenstew22  Moderator

I'm guessing large country level at lowest.

Avatar image for firestarlord73194
FireStarLord73194

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Outercontinental

Wot_m8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends. Are we talking about Goku merely powering up that shook the planet or Superman punching hard enough that shook the planet?

kasya_carey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MoneyyJunee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Large Country or Continental

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wot_m8: Was actually related to a certain Hulk feat, but it could very well apply to those guys too.

Antebellum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#69  Edited By Antebellum

Looks like in the country level.

Antebellum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-6349385499256
deactivated-6349385499256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GangOrca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on how much it's shaking but for the bare minimum it would be in the country range.

Lilbroomstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WHOLE planet? continental easily

Avatar image for brogokudestroys
brogokudestroys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Galaxy+

Crapser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Continental, you need to shake some tectonic plates if you want to shake the whole world, which is obvious, but most people tend to ignore that

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@crapser said:

Continental, you need to shake some tectonic plates if you want to shake the whole world, which is obvious, but most people tend to ignore that

You don’t need to destroy a continent to shake tectonic plates. lol

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The Tsar Bomb already shook the earth. I’m sure the OP wants something a bit more substantial, so probably about Island to small country level.

LameLiarLeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Large Cpountry/Continental

nwname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 nwname  Moderator

@gangorca said:

Depends on how much it's shaking but for the bare minimum it would be in the country range.

With high seismic efficiency it can be lower. Chicxulub impact caused a global earthquake and less than 1/1000th of its total energy was seismic energy. So island level should be enough to be noticeable. Far lower would also technically shake the entire planet but it would be lower intensity, too low for most to notice.