• 54 results
Posted by Kirkseven (2895 posts) 4 months, 6 days ago

Poll: Planet shaking, what buster tier is needed to do it? (104 votes)

Dog house busting level 10%
City block busting level 0%
City level 1%
Mountain level 2%
Small country 10%
Large country 29%
continental 42%
Galaxy level+ 7%

So according to the good folks here on CV... what tier, or level of attack potency is needed to shake an entire planet? (assume it's earth sized)

Avatar image for theserbianempire
#1 Posted by TheSerbianEmpire (1238 posts) - - Show Bio

probably large country

#2 Posted by ourmanuel (11964 posts) - - Show Bio

Large country to multi-country.

continetal would be overkill.

#3 Posted by geeman2 (2006 posts) - - Show Bio

Country level could shake a planet.

#4 Posted by Kirkseven (2895 posts) - - Show Bio

@reaverlation sorry, I deleted the other topic due to some weird double post issue so your comment was lost there. ;P

#5 Edited by LimitlessSigil (4616 posts) - - Show Bio

Naruto existing passively creates planetary shock waves apparently so whatever his attack potency is.

#6 Posted by Kevd4wg (12798 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on the level of shaking(for instance Nuperman's is more impressive), but generally I'd say in the Country to Continental Range

#7 Posted by reaverlation (25881 posts) - - Show Bio

I choose dog house haha

#8 Edited by JuzaCloud (3566 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably something around 1 teraton

If the shockwave of the tsar bomb, 50 megatons, circled the earth 3 times. Then I can see 1 teraton slightly shaking the whole earth.

1000 Megaton=1 Gigaton

1000 Gigatons= 1 Teraton

#9 Posted by DrPepperMan (6288 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe it was @blackpantherisb who posted evidence for it taking 1/2 moon busting?

#10 Edited by NWgzsjUwhM96Y2 (4078 posts) - - Show Bio

An impact of 100 000 000 Megatons can be felt from anywhere on earth by indoors people. 10 teratons can be felt by some on the other side of the planet. If it is felt by everyone on Earth and causes minor damage on every city, around 2 TRILLION megatons. Tens of QUADRILLION Megatons if it throws everyone and every building etc. from the ground and later destroys the entire surface of the planet. So at least large country level.

#11 Posted by TheKinfing (11793 posts) - - Show Bio

Continental.

#12 Posted by reaverlation (25881 posts) - - Show Bio

It surpassed the output of Superman's earth benching feat. and it's shockwaves were felt all the way to the watchtower to the core. country-continental

#13 Posted by IntoTheVoid (1295 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends entire on how much shaking do you expect to happen, do you mean to the were people across the whole world can barely feel it? Or do you mean houses literally falling down on the far side of the world as a result of it? Because there is a staggering difference between the two.

#14 Posted by Godren (3784 posts) - - Show Bio

Shaking the earth requires island-country level in joule output.

#15 Edited by TheHercules (819 posts) - - Show Bio

Should've put Moon level

#16 Posted by BreakOfDawn (2365 posts) - - Show Bio

Dog - none of you have clearly seen a dog when you call it for food or walkies.

#17 Edited by NWgzsjUwhM96Y2 (4078 posts) - - Show Bio

@thehercules: moon level would destroy a good chunk of the Earth’s surface and level every building.

#18 Posted by TheHercules (819 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Edited by DarkHoudini (211 posts) - - Show Bio

From a post of mine a while back:

Planet Level/Affecting Or "Shaking" The Whole World

So, like I said, I define (and I hope most agree) planet level as affecting/shaking the planet to a point where it is clearly noticeable by people. In all the planet shaking feats I've ever seen the "shaking" is in the form of earthquakes, and for good reason, earthquakes can be and are caused by means of powerful explosions or meteor impacts (take a note of this last one). And at the end of the day, it simply makes intuitive sense calcing the feat though earthquakes, I mean in layman's terms an earthquake is nothing more than the shaking of the earth. It makes even more sense to calc the feat via meteor impacts, it's the next best thing in our disposal other than having actual super-people running around shaking the planet with their blows. So, with the underlying logic out of the way, which I hope everyone agrees on, it is incredible basic stuff after all... Let's get to the calculation.

I'm sure you've heard of the Richter earthquake magnitude scale, but there is also the Mercalli earthquake intensity scale which measures the effect of an earthquake on the Earth's surface, a I on the scale for example wouldn't be felt while at a maximum of XII even specially built buildings collapse and objects are thrown into the air. What fits our definition of shaking the best is level V where the earthquake is "felt by nearly everyone; many awakened. Some dishes, windows broken. Unstable objects overturned. Pendulum clocks may stop". All this info can be found at the official USGS government website right here. So how much power is needed to shake every corner of the Earth to at least this degree? Well, there is a pretty awesome calculator we can use for that, developed by Imperial College London and Purdue University, it's called Earth Impact Effects Program, and it allows you to plug in variables for:

• Distance from Impact.
  • Projectile Diameter.
  • Projectile Density.
  • Impact Velocity.
  • Impact Angle.
  • Target Type.

For the distance form the impact we want the other side of the planet, that's 20,037.5 km, but the calculator only accepts up to 20,000 km (not going to change the result in any significant manner anyway) so we'll go with that. For the density of the projectile and it's velocity we'll put the maximum value from the provided list and the maximum velocity for an object hitting the Earth respectively, why do this and not just crank those two values way up to simulate a human sized superhero fist? Well, although theoretically that would make sense and fit more with the type of showings we have in comics the real world is a bit more rigid and such high/unusual values mess up the calculator since it's based on experimental data, and there is no "9999999 kg/m^3" meteor or material that has ever hit Earth. From all my experience using the calculator using 8000 kg/m^3 for the density and 72.00 km/s for the velocity, and trying out different sizes for the projectile yields the most accurate and consistent results (but if you're really stuck up about this fact you get the exact same results by simulating Superman's fist a superhero's, i.e extremely small diameter, 10 cm, and speed, 1 km/s, below mach 3, and just cranking the density to high heaven to compensate...). As for the impact angle we put 90 degrees, a direct impact and lastly for the target type "Sedimentary Rock", which is just plain ol' rock and ground. Now the calculator gives us various effects but what we're interested in is the seismic effects and of course the energy the impactor is packing. Very important side note, don't be confused if under the seismic effects the Richter Scale magnitude doesn't match up with the Mercalli Scale intensity, for example in this calc we'll see the Richter value to be 11.3 (more powerful than any earthquake ever recorded and a definite XII+ on the Mercalli Scale) while the Mercalli Scale value will be V. This happens because the Richter Scale value is the value you'd find on the epicenter of the impact while the Mercalli Scale value is the value at the distance we input (20,000 km), obviously the power and destructiveness of the earthquake decreases the further away you are from the impact.

Okay, so with all of the above thoroughly explained; by trying out different projectile diameters (i.e it's size) we can find the minimum values needed to "shake" the entire Earth. i.e to cause a level V earthquake on the Mercalli scale 20,000 km away. And as we can see the energy comes out at 4.90×10^25 Joules. That is above continent or even multi-continent, by a few times in the latter case. Converting to kilotons of TNT that's 1.171×10^13 (11,710,000,000,000/11,7 trillion) kilotons. Plugging that into the all too famous Nukemap Classic we can find the actual extent of the destruction, as we can see the 20 psi overpressure blast wave has a radius of 5,751.51 km. Why only consider the 20 psi overpressure air blast radius? Because it fits the comic book description of "busting" the best, everything in that area, even heavily built and reinforced concrete buildings are demolished. Here's how such a blast would look on Earth:

No Caption Provided

It is demonstrably a few times above even multi-continental, no debate about it, anyone else saying differently is just ignorant. I've also debunked the Tsar Bomba thing as well all BPIB's calc.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c60dc252a2af
#20 Posted by deactivated-5c60dc252a2af (5801 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel like there are a few levels between continental and Galaxy+

Avatar image for thebestofthebest
#21 Edited by ThEBeStOfTheBeST (11911 posts) - - Show Bio

@reaverlation said:

It surpassed the output of Superman's earth benching feat. and it's shockwaves were felt all the way to the watchtower to the core. country-continental

Yup.

This is actually confirmed by the same scientist that measured his planet level lifting strength whilst in a weakened state:

"power level is exceeding what I had previously recorded" says the scientist.

And this is what she had previously recorded:

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3

That's a pretty damn impressive feat. Certainly above continental level+.

Edit:

OT: Depends on the feat.

#22 Posted by NWgzsjUwhM96Y2 (4078 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkhoudini: Do you mean leveling building on a continent when you say “continent level” ? Because the crater size is not continent sized,

#23 Posted by Kirkseven (2895 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkhoudini:

It is demonstrably a few times above even multi-continental, no debate about it, anyone else saying differently is just ignorant. I've also debunked the Tsar Bomba thing as well all BPIB's calc.

Care to share? :p

#24 Posted by TheKinfing (11793 posts) - - Show Bio

@kevd4wg said:

Depends on the level of shaking(for instance Nuperman's is more impressive), but generally I'd say in the Country to Continental Range

But if it was on a planet with a population of 19 million it would be like star level, no?

Avatar image for fullmetalemprah
#25 Posted by FullMetalEmprah (4735 posts) - - Show Bio

Large country.

Avatar image for cocoussybreaker
#26 Posted by CocoUssyBreaker (1944 posts) - - Show Bio

Whatever Goku and Vegeta's tier is in Saiyan Saga.

#27 Posted by KanyeCosby (7188 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on the feat. Sharing a planet with your shockwaves is obviously going to be a lot more impressive than directly hitting it. Shaking a planet to its core will be a lot more powerful than just shaking its surface.

#28 Posted by Kevd4wg (12798 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for mylittlefascist
#30 Posted by MyLittleFascist (31730 posts) - - Show Bio
#31 Posted by ourmanuel (11964 posts) - - Show Bio
#32 Posted by Streak619 (7753 posts) - - Show Bio

Large country level at best when you calc it like a reasonable person.

#33 Posted by ourmanuel (11964 posts) - - Show Bio

@streak619: what size country would count as “Large”?

#34 Posted by AlexTheBoss (18090 posts) - - Show Bio

country-continent

#35 Posted by Streak619 (7753 posts) - - Show Bio
#36 Edited by KingZod (4014 posts) - - Show Bio

Large country level guesstimating

#37 Posted by kasya_carey (5604 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump?? I’m also wondering I heard it’s island level

Avatar image for eternaldarkfury
#38 Posted by EternalDarkFury (1832 posts) - - Show Bio
#39 Posted by Koays (11493 posts) - - Show Bio

Large country. Depending on what busted the country we'd feel it on the other side of the world

#40 Posted by APEX_pretador (21016 posts) - - Show Bio

Moon buster

#41 Posted by kasya_carey (5604 posts) - - Show Bio

@apex_pretador: @koays:

So would this be large country or moon level?

https://www.mangaeden.com/en/en-manga/sora-no-otoshimono/46.6/6/

#42 Posted by Richubs (4906 posts) - - Show Bio

If someone can destroy a country they can definitely cause an earthquake around the world.

However to make the whole planet literally shake they'd have to be able to destroy continents as big as Asia probably.

#43 Edited by Gaoron (8965 posts) - - Show Bio

Country, maybe large country should be enough tbh. I'd imagined if someone nuked entire Canada in one shot (idk why I though about Canada, I have nothing against it lol) entire Earth would shake a bit.

#44 Posted by Koays (11493 posts) - - Show Bio

@kasya_carey: large country

@gaoron said:

Country, maybe large country should be enough tbh. I'd imagined if someone nuked entire Canada in one shot (idk why I though about Canada, I have nothing against it lol) entire Earth would shake a bit.

We're all friends here.....you know why you said it

#45 Posted by kasya_carey (5604 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays: why would it be country to large country level though?

Is there a Calc behind this?

#46 Posted by Koays (11493 posts) - - Show Bio
#47 Posted by Comic_Crusader (102 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm going with Large Country, if you bust an entire large country (US, Canada, India, especially russia) you best believe that'll be felt around the earth.

#48 Posted by kasya_carey (5604 posts) - - Show Bio

@comic_crusader: I saw vswiki they have it at small country level.. so busting Japan could do it?

#49 Posted by Comic_Crusader (102 posts) - - Show Bio

@kasya_carey: Hmmm. I voted conservatively and went with Large Country but I don't necessarily not believe a small country could also do it.

#50 Posted by WorldofRuin6 (3620 posts) - - Show Bio

Large country-continent seems about right.