Obi-Wan Kenobi vs Anakin Skywalker (ROTS)

doctordoom789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Starting Distance: 10 yards

Standard Gear

Restrictions: None

Mindset: In Character

Version of Anakin: Start of Revenge of the Sith (Dooku fight)

Version of Obi-Wan: Same as above

dark_globe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

anakin .

Avatar image for greysentinel365
Greysentinel365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anakin after a long fight.

RealistBigotry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mindset will make this fight closer than it should be.

doctordoom789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RealistBigotry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doctordoom789: Anakin is better at everything, but he's not going to be willing to kill Kenobi in his regular state. Granted, Ob-Wan wouldn't be either, but that's irrelevant.

RGR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If we stick to canon, the fight could go either way. Anakin has the edge in stamina, but Obi-Wan has the more tactical mindset. Numerous sources (and honestly, the movie too) portray them as evenly matched in Mustafar, where Anakin was even stronger than he is in this scenario, though maybe Obi-Wan would have a harder time using the environment in his favour here.

Avatar image for deactivated-627d8daf1de25
deactivated-627d8daf1de25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Anakin Skywalker.

Avatar image for echostarlord117
echostarlord117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Either way

Kilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anakin is still the stronger of the two though it would be a lengthy match and I could see Kenobi winning regardless.

G_Race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How is this not Anakin & every time?? I mean remove the PIS, and Skywalker has the edge in all relevant categories. Am I missing something here?

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By WollfMyth209

Unless Skywalker is emotionally distressed, he takes Kenobi out every single time.

RGR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RGR

How can Anakin take this every time when he lost the one time a stronger version of himself fought Kenobi? The movie and other canon sources portray them as evenly matched:

No Caption Provided

-Ultimate Star Wars.

No Caption Provided

-Lightsabers: A Guide to Weapons of the Force (2018)

No Caption Provided

-Starwars.com Databank: Obi-Wan Kenobi

It was the longest duel in the saga, with Obi-Wan not only stonewalling Anakin but pressing him at times:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Anakin might have been emotionally distressed, but so was Obi-Wan, and the latter was more reluctant to kill. It's certainly possible for Obi-Wan to find some tactical advantage again and seize it. Anakin is the better warrior, but his Master has shown that he can make for it and compete just fine in a duel with him.

ArkhamAsylum3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ArkhamAsylum3

@rgr: The vast majority of the community assumes Legends for all match ups unless stated otherwise hence the "Anakin every time" posts as Anakin was hindered when he fought Obi Wan.

Regardless sure Obi Wan presses Anakin a few times but Anakin has the clear cut edge and has Kenobi on the back foot for a lot of the duel with Kenobi giving a lot of ground.

RGR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RGR

@arkhamasylum3: Well, I guess I just wanted to make the argument for canon regardless lol. If this is a Legends thread then I apologize. Still the movie is G-canon in Legends, and I don't think I've ever seen a single Legends source saying that Anakin was hindered (or rather, more than Obi-Wan was), but it may very well exist. As for Obi-Wan giving lots of ground, yeah he did, but the novelization says:

Blade to blade, they were identical. After thousands of hours in lightsaber sparring, they knew each other better than brothers, more intimately than lovers; they were complementary halves of a single warrior. In every exchange, Obi-Wan gave ground. It was his way. And he knew that to strike Anakin down would burn his own heart to ash.

-Revenge of the Sith

This clearly has Obi-Wan matching Anakin completely, and it mentions that giving ground is Obi-Wan's natural way of fighting. Still I'm not going to push the Legends argument, which you're much more knowledgeable about than I am.

redheathen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doctordoom789 is this anakin in the fight before or after he turns to the dark side?

ArkhamAsylum3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rgr:

Well, I guess I just wanted to make the argument for canon regardless lol. If this is a Legends thread then I apologize.

Nah it's not. Feel free to post whatever you want canon wise I was just pointing out the vast majority of users assume Legends as default.

Still the movie is G-canon in Legends, and I don't think I've ever seen a single Legends source saying that Anakin was hindered (or rather, more than Obi-Wan was), but it may very well exist.

The movie does overrule other source sin case of contradiction sure but that does not mean other sources cannot elaborate on the context. As for Anakin's hinderances that's the entire point lol. His and Kenobi's hinderances are entirely different and you cannot simply generalise and say "well they were both hindered so they cancel each other out". It's up to you to prove that. Also iirc Gillard notes that Anakin's mental state is worse than Kenobi's indicating his hinderance would be more severe.

Regardless Anakin's mental issues are frequently acknowledged as a huge problem with him and seeing as in Legends he's canonically above Yoda and equal to Sidious the mental hinderance had a presmably huge effect on him.

As for Obi-Wan giving lots of ground, yeah he did, but the novelization says:

Blade to blade, they were identical. After thousands of hours in lightsaber sparring, they knew each other better than brothers, more intimately than lovers; they were complementary halves of a single warrior. In every exchange, Obi-Wan gave ground. It was his way. And he knew that to strike Anakin down would burn his own heart to ash.

-Revenge of the Sith

This clearly has Obi-Wan matching Anakin completely, and it mentions that giving ground is Obi-Wan's natural way of fighting.

First off there is a common misconception that Soresu forces you to give ground but that is simply not ture. The forms style is defensive sure but that does not mean giving ground is a primary tactic. In almost any fight the aim is always to counter attack once you've blocked not to just continue blocking.

Second off let's discuss the quote itself. The quote in no way shape or form says he was matching Skywalker. It describes how they were the perfect warrior duo to give insight on how fighting Anakin is something Obi Wan does not want to do hence he's giving ground as he doesn't want to press and offensive against Skywalker.

Still I'm not going to push the Legends argument, which you're much more knowledgeable about than I am.

Okay.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cae4704c27f5
deactivated-5cae4704c27f5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Anakin stomps.

Avatar image for deactivated-64969837cbeff
deactivated-64969837cbeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anakin lost in their duel because he was emotionally distressed. With a clear mind, Anakin should win but barely. It would be very long, just like their Mustafar duel.

RGR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arkham_asylum said:

Nah it's not. Feel free to post whatever you want canon wise I was just pointing out the vast majority of users assume Legends as default.

Yeah you're right.

His and Kenobi's hinderances are entirely different and you cannot simply generalise and say "well they were both hindered so they cancel each other out". It's up to you to prove that.

I fail to see how it's up to me to prove Obi-Wan was as hindered as Anakin. I mean, without any context we would just assume both combatants are battling at peak performance, so if you claim that one was hindered (meaning, more hindered than the other) it should be up to you to prove it.

Also iirc Gillard notes that Anakin's mental state is worse than Kenobi's indicating his hinderance would be more severe.

Regardless Anakin's mental issues are frequently acknowledged as a huge problem with him and seeing as in Legends he's canonically above Yoda and equal to Sidious the mental hinderance had a presmably huge effect on him.

I think you're referring to the following:

The duel actually gives you quite an idea about these characters, because Anakin has learned the fighting, he's enormously talented -- but he hasn't learned the mental side of it.

-Nick Gillard.

The way I see it, Anakin's mental state would come into play in any fight, not only the Mustafar one. After all, "he hasn't learned the mental side of it". In the scenario OP specified, he still wouldn't have "learned" it.

First off there is a common misconception that Soresu forces you to give ground but that is simply not ture. The forms style is defensive sure but that does not mean giving ground is a primary tactic. In almost any fight the aim is always to counter attack once you've blocked not to just continue blocking.

Second off let's discuss the quote itself. The quote in no way shape or form says he was matching Skywalker. It describes how they were the perfect warrior duo to give insight on how fighting Anakin is something Obi Wan does not want to do hence he's giving ground as he doesn't want to press and offensive against Skywalker.

It says "blade to blade they were identical" and then goes on to explain the reason is that they've sparred many times so they know each other moves. Personally, I interpret it as Obi-Wan matching Anakin.

ArkhamAsylum3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rgr:

Yeah you're right.

I always am.

;)

I fail to see how it's up to me to prove Obi-Wan was as hindered as Anakin. I mean, without any context we would just assume both combatants are battling at peak performance, so if you claim that one was hindered (meaning, more hindered than the other) it should be up to you to prove it.

How's it up to me to prove it exactly? You made the claim that they're equal on neutral ground because of this fight and now you're asking me to substantiate the opposite? I pointed out that Anakin was hindered on Mustafar which is a fact and then pointed out that while Kenobi was also hindered there is no way to know which of them was more handicapped due to them dealing with entirely different struggles. It is therefore impossible to determine whether Obi Wan was equally handicapped, more handicapped or less handicapped so we avsoolutely cannot guage their base power levels from this showing due to the potency of each hinderance being completely unquantifiable. In other words using this in favour of a case trying to determine parity between Anakin and Obi Wan is completely pointless.

I think you're referring to the following:

I am indeed.

The way I see it, Anakin's mental state would come into play in any fight, not only the Mustafar one. After all, "he hasn't learned the mental side of it". In the scenario OP specified, he still wouldn't have "learned" it.

No this does not come into play in any fight. He may not have learned the mental side of it however that does not mean there will be hinderances in every fight he's in just rather ones where emotional circumstances are at play and he's in an incredibly bad mental state which was the case on Mustafar as elaborated oon by several other sources.

It says "blade to blade they were identical" and then goes on to explain the reason is that they've sparred many times so they know each other moves. Personally, I interpret it as Obi-Wan matching Anakin.

The text is using that fact though to demonstrate Obi Wan's unwillingness to kill Anakin not to substantiate that they were equals.

RGR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arkhamasylum3 said:

How's it up to me to prove it exactly? You made the claim that they're equal on neutral ground because of this fight and now you're asking me to substantiate the opposite? I pointed out that Anakin was hindered on Mustafar which is a fact and then pointed out that while Kenobi was also hindered there is no way to know which of them was more handicapped due to them dealing with entirely different struggles. It is therefore impossible to determine whether Obi Wan was equally handicapped, more handicapped or less handicapped so we avsoolutely cannot guage their base power levels from this showing due to the potency of each hinderance being completely unquantifiable. In other words using this in favour of a case trying to determine parity between Anakin and Obi Wan is completely pointless.

Okay. I think I misinterpreted you as saying that Anakin was more hindered than Obi-Wan. Apologies.

No this does not come into play in any fight. He may not have learned the mental side of it however that does not mean there will be hinderances in every fight he's in just rather ones where emotional circumstances are at play and he's in an incredibly bad mental state which was the case on Mustafar as elaborated oon by several other sources.

That might be true. I feel like Gillard is referring to the tactical part of fighting when he talks about the mental side, rather than the emotional one, but I see your point.

The text is using that fact though to demonstrate Obi Wan's unwillingness to kill Anakin not to substantiate that they were equals.

This I have to disagree with. YMMV.

Loveeveryone2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Loveeveryone2

Anakin. He only lost due location n Obi Wan having the high ground. Plus by scaling anakin should be above obi wan. Anakin beat count dooku and obi wan lost to that same dooku.

ArkhamAsylum3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rgr:

Okay. I think I misinterpreted you as saying that Anakin was more hindered than Obi-Wan. Apologies.

No Caption Provided

That might be true. I feel like Gillard is referring to the tactical part of fighting when he talks about the mental side, rather than the emotional one, but I see your point.

I can understand your line of thoguth and it's fair enough. Regardless there are other sources which says Anakin was hindered.

This I have to disagree with. YMMV.

Fair enough. I feel like a lot of this discussion has been subjective with quotes that aren't exactly binding an dthat can be interpreted in different ways.

Avatar image for deutschkurzhaar
DeutschKurzhaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At the time I really do this obi wan was a little better. People can say anakins anger lost him the fight, but I disagree. Kenobi was and always has been known as one of the best lightsaber duelists ever for a reason. A lot of people downplay him because anakins the chosen one. Anyway.. in rots, kenobi is all around a better/ and most importantly a smarter fighter. That’s why kenobi was chosen to fight fight grievous, because he looks for his opponents weakness before he starts fighting. In this case, he was also the one who taught anakin everything he knew. He knew before fighting exactly how to beat him

G_Race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By G_Race

Anakin lost the ROTS fight for a few reasons here fellas. PIS being the big one - he had too otherwise.. no story. CIS due to the story having to demonstrate Anakin's slide to the darkside, something to the effect of being 'between worlds' making him vulenerable. That is the narrative being used to most commonly articulate how Anakin could lose to a lesser opponent. The ONLY lesser opponent had to be Kenobi. Familiarity with lightsaber nuances, understanding to force specialities, and some degree of caring for the guy.

Over the last few months I have seen Kenobi's stock rise significantly here on CV, and probably rightfully so for a number of reasons. Only, lets not get ahead of ourselves here, Anakin is a cut above if all things are even.

I expect someone to say prove it, sight it, show it. I counter with, we shouldn't have to in this case. Baseline ROTS Anakin sits in that level that is firmly beneath Yoda/Palps, and right on the heels of Windu, inches ahead of Dooku (with some darkside use). Kenobi is firmly beneath them. All things being even I consider this an appropriate A+B+C logic use on a baseline level.

*popcorn is in the microwave* Adjusts chair, I'll wait.

Avatar image for supermanwithatan01
Supermanwithatan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who has the high ground?

LordOfTheLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By LordOfTheLight

@arkhamasylum3

I'll move our discussion on the other page here on this one. It is more fitting.

Mace was actually originally stated to be a 9 iirc but then Gillard clarified he's an 8 bordering on a 9. I always took this to be a reference to Mace's amp (not everyone agrees that Mace was amped but it's not a discussion I particularly care to get into right now).

Yeah but regardless there are around 20 quotes stating he is on par with Yoda so it should be evident that he is on that level even when he is an 8 if he indeed is amped.

Tbh, there is no basis for him being amped by that stage as his emotional state was clearly stated to revert to what it originally was before Anakin's revelation, but yeah, there is no need for that discussion here.

You don't take it to mean anything. Mace being 8 bordering on 9 means exactly that, he is an 8 bordering on 9. He fits into that spectrum, not that he became 9 by some amp

That advantage works both ways. Granted it probably favours Kenobi more given his fighting style but it's not as if it's a huge factor given Anakin also does somewhat benefit from it.

He is utterly consumed by rage and hatred. There is obviously no doubt that he won't benefit much from it.

Yeah sure but I could also bring up the fact file quote which says Grievous was also hindered against Kenobi in which case this comparison is rendered faulty. Regardless iirc Grievous overloaded Obi Wan's defence (been a while since I read the novel).

The environment quote is Disney canon not to mention it makes no sense.

The part about Mace crushing his armor is retconned by LoE since that exchange between Mace and Grevious never took place

Care to tag me for the blog? Also regardless you are aware no match is not synonymous with a stomp The word "match" means "a person or thing that is equal to another in quality or strength" so any source which says Grievous was "no match" for Obi Wan would simply say he's not his equal which is true enough given he lost but it doesn't tell us anything about the disparity between the two.

Most dictionaries define "no match" to be "not able to compete", or "be easily defeated by", or "be powerless in comparison to a certain thing" so obviously it was a stomp.

"Match" does not mean equal, it means around your general level. No match means you are no match for your opponent, and even colloquially it is used to refer to a big disparity between two things. It means you are not only not a match, you are not able to compete or are significantly inferior to your opponent. You never refer to a good fight by one person being no match for the other person, do you? Two people being a match does not mean they are perfect equals just that either of them can compete with the other.

"Ultimately no match" might mean a different thing though.

Obi Wan was literally cutting off his hands in single sequences and smiling in the battle. He likely wasn't giving it his all when his defenses were being overloaded.

Source for Enraged TPM Kenobi being a 7?

Gillard said that Obi Wan moved up one level from episode one to episode three. So obviously enraged TPM Kenobi is a seven, given even normal TPM Kenobi is a seven.

1. Dooku actually recovered his reserves:

No he force augmented himself. That is why "the weight of his years dropped away".

His actual force reserves were being depleted obviously. He was getting tired even when Obi Wan and Anakin were toying with him, meaning by the time we come to this battle, a huge chunk of his force reserves would be depleted.

There are sources that even state that he had expended all of his energy by the time he was done with Kenobi leaving him helpless before Skywalker but I tend not to put much stock to it. Still, the point that his force reserves were mostly depleted should come across pretty firmly. And him force augmenting himself is not him restoring his reserves

2. Dooku being a "joke" in comparison to Anakin doesn't exactly paint a picture of The Count being able to compete with Anakin like Kenobi did on Mustafar. And even if we did discount the above statement I could easily bring up the previous part of the fight where Anakin beat all of Dooku's reserves out of him in like 20 seconds and this was a version of Anakin who hadn't hit peak (note that in that part of the fight Dooku was merely tired not exhausted iirc).

No, but aside from Kenobi feeling relaxed, not threatened by Dooku at all, and literally countering whatever strikes he sent at him effortlessly, there is not much basis for comparison between Obi Wan and Dooku at all. Since it is now established that Dooku force choking him was a cheapshot( Dooku moving faster is obvious lol, you can move your hand obviously far faster than you can move on feet), nothing effectively ties Kenobi to being inferior to Dooku especially when you consider that he was out to capture Dooku, not kill him. Even more when you consider that he grew and became more powerful throughout ROTS

Remember the sequence that stated that Obi Wan felt the full power of the light shortly after the Dooku fight?

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/azronger/blog/palpatines-cosmic-accomplishments/130331/#comments-block-1861957

Greysentinel's comment

Now obviously that must have been a considerable increase since the dark side had become much stronger than it had been in the start of the war and even then the Jedi were noticeably hindered( Yoda and Plagueis both confirm that even the Living Force was impacted, not just the Unifying Force).

Obi Wan on Utapau is even more powerful than that, and Obi Wan on Mustafar is even more powerful than Obi Wan on Utapau

Combine that with a considerable advantage Obi Wan has over him in terms of being familiar with his style, Obi Wan's style itself being perfectly suited to facing aggressive styles, much more than Dooku and his entire mode of fighting being to draw out fights, it is not impossible to see him lasting against a level 9 under those conditions for that much time.

Let's see what supplements that notion, oh yeah, one fight with General Grevious in which he demonstrably did better than someone regarded as a peer and equal to Yoda did.

Agreed, Obi Wan is not on the level of Yoda or Sidious. But, I view Mace as being on or near their general level, and lagging behind by an appreciable but not vast margin when it comes to the force. Obi Wan being considerably inferior to Mace, but again, not by any vast margin. Give him considerable edges in familiarity, and I don't see why he can't replicate what he did against Vader against Mace too. That for all intents and purposes is close enough to a 9. You only need to be slightly better than Mace to be a 9. So, you see, for Vader, I still don't see what the big fuss is about.

Yes, Anakin hadn't hit peak yet, but he was still a level 8. Obi Wan outright stated that MF Vader was more powerful than this version of Anakin, and you agreed with it. So, by the time the level 9 version of Anakin comes around, Dooku's force reserves are hugely depleted and yet he still lasts for 15-20 seconds so it stands to reason that there isn't an astronomical difference between the level 8 Anakin and the level 9 Anakin

That supplements his battle with Yoda in which he lasts for 40 seconds and isn't defeated.

OT-KF Vader and Zonakin win easily, MF Vader wins decisively, and Jedi Anakin wins in a great fight.

ArkhamAsylum3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lordofthelight: For the last couple of weeks I've been writing a CaV post leaving me with dozens of users to respond to so don't expect a response anytime soon.

I'll most likely get down to something in a couple of weeks time.