• No prep
  • Wands only (so no creatures for Newt)

• The Department of Mysteies
No Caption Provided

Also to make things interesting in case people think this is a stomp:

• Round 1: Both have standard Wands
  • Round 2: Newt has The Elder Wand and Bella has her standard Wand
  • Round 3: Bella has The Elder Wand and Newt has his Standard Wand
  • Bonus Round: They both have their standard wands and have to face Voldemort who has The Elder Wand for an entire minute and survive
Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

While I don't have nearly enough knowledge to say anything, I'm still interested to see what other people think about these match-ups.

FromBeyond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've only actually seen the second fantastic beasts film funnily enough. Any notable pure duelling feats from Newt in the first film? @arkhamasylum3

ArkhamAsylum3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ArkhamAsylum3

@frombeyond: He held his own against Grindelwald. While it's true he didn't exactly give him a fight he deflected multiple spells and lasted around a minute before going down. He performed admirably despite being outmatched. I'll post gifs later.

FromBeyond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frombeyond: He held his own against Grindelwald. While it's true he didn't exactly give him a fight he deflected multiple spells and lasted around a minute before going down. He performed admirably despite being outmatched. I'll post gifs later.

Ok it would be nice to see some Gifs for sure. Give me some context though, is this a Grindelwald going all-out to obliterate anything in his path, or was he just looking at Newt as a nuisance in his way who needed moving?

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 anthp2000  Moderator

I'm never going to finish the new HP material.

dark-sith123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Newt and Theseus' combined efforts were crumbling beneath a fraction of Grindelwald's power for little more than a dozen or so seconds. Leta had to distract Grindelwald to ensure the brothers' survival.

Scamander dies, Bellatrix's feats are much better.

ArkhamAsylum3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frombeyond:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

It's worth noting that there's a 30 second cut between gifs 2 and 3 and Grindelwald and Newt have moved implying that Newt has defended against Grindelwald for a pretty significant period of time.

Also yes Grindelwald wanted to obliterate Newt. After hammering down his defences he then tortured Newt for around 20 more seconds because of how angry he was.

Newt and Theseus' combined efforts were crumbling beneath a fraction of Grindelwald's power for little more than a dozen or so seconds. Leta had to distract Grindelwald to ensure the brothers' survival.

Against EW amped Grindelwald. While I do think The Elder Wand is overrated there is no doubt Newt performed significantly better against non EW Amped Grindelwald.

Scamander dies, Bellatrix's feats are much better.

Does he stand a chance in R2?

Avatar image for blackpantherisb
blackpantherisb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I’m universe Bellatrix would win, based on feats Newt wins by a good margin.

Vitisid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bella

PercyBender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PercyBender

Newt by feats.

Avatar image for deactivated-60fae469e992f
deactivated-60fae469e992f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foxerdes said:

I have hard time seeing him Bellatrix's equal in-universe.

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bellatrix is one for Voldemort's best...

She should win however I might be wrong as I've not seen the 2nd film.

ArkhamAsylum3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foxerdes said:

@arkhamasylum3: At what point does Newt accomplishes anything? He gets crushed and to be honest Grindelwald looks rther negligent. Irked but negligent.

Given Grindelwald tortures Newt brutally after defeating him I wouldn't say he was rather negligent.

Also I never claimed Newt was comparable to Grindelwald and even noted how he was outmatched. The feat is still impressive regardless of whether Newt was outmatched TBH. He duelled Grindelwald for a full minute and blocked multiple spells.

The question you have to ask yourself is can you see Bellatrix replicating the feat. I agree with you that in universe Bella would win but by feats it's close and I'm unsure.

I didn't post the gifs to prove Newt was close to Grindelwald but rather to prove that he can hold his own for a decent period of time. It's also worth noting as I pointed out that roughly around 30 seconds of the fight occurs of screen.

ArkhamAsylum3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol...

Bellatrix stomps.

Even in R2?

ArkhamAsylum3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ArkhamAsylum3

@foxerdes:

I mean, he did looked angry so I can agree that he wasn't completely negligent, but Newt mostly ran/ducked for his life. Blocking few spells isn't really that impressive especially when you can't even counterattack afterwards. Not to mention they didn't look particularly powerful. Don't get me wrong, even a stupify can be darn strong coming from such high level wizard, but on the other hand we did see a difference in spell's caliber (Voldemort breaking Hogwart's shield or Dumbledore casting more powerful spells when he truly need to).

The below spoiler block was put in place for FB2 so if you haven't seen it don't read it.

I agree with this. Grindelwald very obviously wasn't using his full power ie: destroying a city but it's still incredibly impressive regardless and definitely puts him on Lestrange's tier.

He blocked three or so, but he couldn't even counterattack. As for the off-screen part of the fight -- there is no way to prove what happened then. Newt might have been simply ducking or barely surviving. It's a likely scenario given his on-screen performance.

They've moved location for gosh sake. Newt wasn't in cover the whole time and given the fact that when we cut back he was blocking spells point blank it's reasonable to assume Grindelwald and Newt engaged each other head on and Newt retreated while blocking his spells.

What? This?

Yes.

Of course. She is Voldemort's 2nd in command and could duel and kill aurors and the likes.

You know Grindelwald fought like 20 of those guys right and they were incapable of blocking his spells whereas Newt was. Newt scales pretty far above regular Aurors.

And to further the nail in the coffin:

Spoilers for FB2

Newt's performance against Grindelwald in FB2 was simlair to that of his brother's which suggests parity between the two and Theseus is hailed as a war hero and led the strike team who attacked Grindelwald. Theseus should realistically outclass regular Aurors and thus outclass Tonks. As for Kingsley Theseus outclasses him by feats but in universe they have very similair standing and rank.

She stomped four snatchers into the mud and dueled three people at once (Luna, Hermione,Ginny) without losing her ground.

Snatchers have been one shotted by Ron and Harry so I don't really take them seriously.

As for the trio feats it's incredibly impressive but you haven't really articulated why it's better than Newt's performance against Grindelwald.

I'm well aware of Bella's feats so telling me what she's done isn't a compelling argument. You need to tell me why it's better than Newt's performance against Grindelwald.

Heck, her fight with Molly made the ground crack.

Good for her I guess... Seriously every time I debate Bellatrix someone just brings up the same stuff I already know happened and basically copy pastes their arguement from Cpt_Nice's respect thread. Once again feat dumping isn't debating. You have to explain why her feats are better than Newt's performance against Grindelwald.

Even if you want to bring up Newt blocking some spells from Grindelwald - Bellatrix blocked a spell from Dumbledore as well.

Newt defended himself for a minute and Bellatrix blocked one spell. Great comparison. It's also worth noting Bellatrix got one shotted later by Dumbledore anyway showing the most she can hope to achieve is blocking one spell. In fact I'm actually more and more being pushed over to Newt's side. I can't really see Bellatrix performing that well against Grindelwald.

Beside I'm of opinion that in-universe position and feats are connected. They are way too often treated as entirely different thing whlist Lestrange's accolades are rather clear.

Lestrange's accolades are good and I do believe that in universe Newt wouldn't be on the same level as Bella but by feats he is. There aren't any accolades or lines of scaling that put Bella above Newt. The only thing there is to put Bella above Newt is trying to look at things in universe but that's just sketchy speculation that could be accurate but for all we know isn't.

I already adressed the off-screen part. You cannot even prove they were fighting at the time because Newt ended up hiding before the camera moved away. Then when it comes back he is protecting Credence and gets stomped. There is not an instance when he holds his own unless you fill the off-screen part with what you wish would happend but I can play the same game.

I've addressed this. They moved location so Newt very obviously was not hiding in cover and given Grindelwald was standing directly in front of Newt when it cuts back and already attacking him it's highly improbable that Newt didn't block more spells from Grindelwald off screen.

Itachus17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Djuhen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Round 1: Bellatrix
  • Round 2: Probably Newt
  • Round 3: Bellatrix stomps
  • Bonus Round: Hmm difficult. Newt is like apparating all the time... that could help against AK. But I think they both die.
ArkhamAsylum3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arkhamasylum3:

GG lost to Albus even with the Elder Wand, and he was noted to be only slightly below Albus.

You know that quote about Grindelwald being Albus's equal could be including The Elder Wand. I do think The Elder Wand is overrated but your way of proving it is incredibly unconvincing.

Newt can’t compete with Bella, and he would lose even with the Elder Wand.

Based on what exactly? I can understand thinking Bella wins and I'm not exactly sure on who would win but saying it's a stomp is a bit silly tbh when Newt has really good feats (see his fight with Grindelwald which I posted earlier).

Cahddz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Newt gets murdered casually.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arkhamasylum3:

“You know that quote about Grindelwald being Albus's equal could be including The Elder Wand. I do think The Elder Wand is overrated but your way of proving it is incredibly unconvincing.”

It is rather unlikely. The quote says that Albus “knew” they were evenly matched, hence that assessment likely derives from his previous knowledge of GG, even before he had the EW.

Its also not like every other knowledgeable person in the universe thought Dumbledore could match Grindelwald or anything

dark-sith123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Newt and Theseus required outside distractions to not be stomped by Grindelwald in CoG

Sorry, Scamander is fodder to GG

ArkhamAsylum3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@richard96:

It is rather unlikely. The quote says that Albus “knew” they were evenly matched, hence that assessment likely derives from his previous knowledge of GG, even before he had the EW.

Dumblediore knew Grindelwald had The Elder Wand though and most likely factored that in. It would be kind of silly of Dumbledore not to and just assume The Elder Wand wasn't a boost especially since it's powers have been described as "ledgendary" amongst other great accolades.

Once again I do not think The Elder Wand is a significant amp but you're doing a terrible job at arguing why.

It is a stomp, or a near stomp, if both don’t have the EW.

Right...

A nonchalant GG curbstomped Newt who had the restore to pillars to protect himself.

Newt took cover because he'd been taken by surprise and knocked to the floor. He very obviously didn't need pillars to protect himself as was shown when he duelled Grindelwald for around 20 to 30 seconds off screen and when he fought Grindelwald here:

No Caption Provided

And even when he was on the floor he was still blocking spells from Grindelwald.

No Caption Provided

After this it cuts and Grindelwald has overwhelmed Newt's defences by the time we get back.

Newt was very clearly able to block spells from Grindelwald and endure for around a minute despite being outmatched. He performed admirably and this in my opinon is a feat worthy of recognition.

Bellatrix handily defeated high tier Aurors like Kingsley and tonks

Good for her. Care to explain why either of these two could last that long against Grindelwald? I mean Dawlish who's Kingsely tier by accolades was casually one shotted by Dumbledore.

and Sirius black,

Sure she's above him if you ommit context. Sirius got overconfiedent and that's why he lost. Not because Bella was actually more powerful than him.

stalemated 3 people at once

Once again these are all impressive feats. However I'm well aware of Lestrange's capabilities and don't need reminding of them. You actually need to go into greater detail and articulate why they're better than Newt's performance against Grindelwald.

and scales above Dolohov who is incredibly impressive.

See above.

A serious Bella would take handily newt.

Sure... With those non existent feats which suggest she could duel Grindelwald for that long.

ArkhamAsylum3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Newt and Theseus required outside distractions to not be stomped by Grindelwald in CoG

Sorry, Scamander is fodder to GG

Never argued against that. I'm arguing that Newt can at the very least last 30 seconds against GG as was shown in FB1. Scamander may be fodder to GG especially when the latter unleashes his full power ie: city busting but when Grindelwald is using basic spells Scamander can most certainly hold his own for a period of time although he's nowhere close to Grindelwald.

ArkhamAsylum3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@decaf_wizard:

Its also not like every other knowledgeable person in the universe thought Dumbledore could match Grindelwald or anything

All the quotes refer to Grindelwald with The Elder Wand besides the ones when they were teenagers. Though as I said I don't hold The Elder Wand in high esteem at all but I know some people do.

vengefulshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only saw the first movie and with just those feats he would get murked. Maybe he wins with creatures.

Though he could have gotten some upgrades in movie 2 which I haven’t seen so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

FromBeyond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arkhamasylum3

If that's the best kind of feats we see from Newt in the first film, then he isn't lasting against Bellatrix.
The gifs you posted were not a duel at all, that was Grindelwald playing cat and mouse with Newt at about 5% effort.

ArkhamAsylum3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ArkhamAsylum3

@foxerdes:

I couldn't disagree more. Blocking few not so impressive looking spells without being able to counterattack isn't putting him at Lestrange's tier.

Considering no one else in the series besides Amelia Bones has gone up against a high tier wizard without being dropped in 5 seconds yes it absolutely is.

At best you can argue that his shields are powerful enough to block some of Grindelwald's spells but then again Bellatrix blocked a spell from a very serious Dumbledore so it's not something that would give him an edge.

Let's just ignore the part where she gets one shotted later. Again Newt defended himself for 30 seconds against Grindelwald whereas Bella was one shotted by Dumbledore.

Yes she managed to block a spell from Dumbledore once but that was only because she was on the other side of the room and had plenty of time to react. When she actually faced Dumbledore head on she got dropped in 5 seconds flat. Meanwhile you have Newt blocking multiple spells in quick succession and recovering from a surprise attack.

Beside, it's not so much about power but also skill.

And Bellatrix has lot's of skill...

Lucius froze, his index finger hovering over his own Mark. Bellatrix strode out of Harry’s limited line of vision. “What is that?” he heard her say. “Sword,” grunted an out-of-sight Snatcher. “Give it to me.” “It’s not yours, missus, it’s mine, I reckon I found it.” There was a bang and a flash of red light; Harry knew that the Snatcher had been Stunned. There was a roar of anger from his fellows: Scabior drew his wand. “What d’you think you’re playing at, woman?” “Stupefy!” she screamed, ”Stupefy!” They were no match for her, even thought there were four of them against one of her: She was a witch, as Harry knew, with prodigious skill and no conscience. They fell where they stood, all except Greyback, who had been forced into a kneeling position, his arms outstretched. Out of the corners of his eyes Harry saw Bellatrix bearing down upon the werewolf, the sword of Gryffindor gripped tightly in her hand, her face waxen.

Credit: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Spamming Stupefy is a really skilful duelling tactic. Lmao.

Based on that clip Newt did absolutely nothing skill-wise. He was ducking during the first part and after the time skip he got wrecked with few spells without being able to cast his own in return.

Bellatrix is hardly what I'd call a master duellist either. Newt used a Shield Charm to defend himself and Bellatrix used Stupefy to stun those Snatchers. Both use rather basic spells but are quite effective in their usage of them.

Newt not being able to attack Grindelwald isn't because he's bad it's just because high tiers like Dumbledore, Voldemort and Grindelwald are laughably far above the rest of the verse.

Bellatrix was hailed as Riddle's second and claimed to learn from him. She could duel three people at the same time and actually fight back as an equal.

Wow more feat dumping. Great debating on your part. Truly excellent and up to the highest standard I could expect...

Seriously stop telling me stuff I already know. You haven't articulated why this is something Newt couldn't replicate. You've just spewed out the same garbage you did in your last post filled with more cancerous lowballing.

That's not an argument.

Newt blocked three spells. That's all he did. Blocked three spells and couldn't counterattack or didn't feel confident enough to do so since there was Credence behind him.

Evidently someone can't count. On screen he actually blocked 5 spells lol.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

3 spells in the first gif and 2 in the second. Plus the off screen part which I'll address later.

Your entire case here, or at the very least your case based on the scenes from the first movie, is based on Newt blocking three spells.

5 actually plus around 30 seconds of off screen duelling.

So did he want to torture him or obliterate him? Because those are two different things Sir.

Both. He wanted to obliterate him but once he'd finished him he decided to torture him first.

Also I'd say that he wasn't in the mindset you claimed he was in. If he wanted to kill Newt, he would use killing curse at the very beginning of the fight when he landed a surprise attack on Newt.

Lol. There are numerous instances in HP of someone not using The Killing Curse at first when attacking an opponent. Does that mean they were all holding back? Of course not.

I haven't seen the second movie. I'm specifically addressed the part you used in this thread because I find a lot of misinterpretation in it. Also, untill I see it, I shan't accept your version since we clearly see the same even in vastly different way.

I assure you there is nothing wrong with the scaling provided. However I can understand why you aren't taking my word for it. Doesn't really matter either way tbh.

Putting down four at the same time, one of whom was Fenrir Greyback, is different that putting down one and, by the by, any Harry Potter character gets one shotted by single well placed spell.

1. Fenrir is featless and was beaten by Harry fairly easily in HBP. Him being there doesn't make the feat impressive.

2. The difference being Snatchers have been consistently one shotted and treated like fodder. Unlike Harry who actually lasts against opponents despite being far inferior (see his fight with Bellatrix at the end of OOTP).

They have no superhuman durability although I do admit that Snatchers aren't really that impressive but it's also not her best showing on the list.

I'm not referring to durability but rather there complete and utter incompetence with magic.

Newt blocked three spells on the gifs you showed.

5 actually. And that was before another cut. He could have very well blocked more.

That's it. The twenty or so seconds off-screen could be filled with anything. I can easily come up with a scene in which Newt casts some more spells or hide behind the wall and jumps out to protect Credence right before the camera comes back. You filled the black spot with something that supports your case? Well, two can play that game.

Problem being Grindelwald was like a 5 second walk away from Newt's pillar so Newt would have had to come out and duel Grindelwald for the remaining seconds. When stuff happens off screen we should simply go with the most logical assumption which in this case is that Newt duelled Grindelwald.

Anyway. Bellatrix blocked spell from Dumbledore, if you want to play that game, and she also:

Wow she also got one shotted later which you failed to address in your post. Maybe because you can't.

Wrecked four Snatchers at once.

Dueled three people at once (those are three different fighters with different tempo, style and probably position. Sheer amount of multitasking here is impressive).

Fought one of the most notable named aurors.

At this point you're just repeating yourself and failing to articluate why it's better than Newt's feat against Grindelwald which I asked you to do about 5 times in my last post.

And then you have her accolades and the fact that she is willing to kill and use dark magic. I beg you to answer one question: what makes you think he is skilled enough to hang with Bellatrix, based on those gifs alone?

The fact that Bellatrix was defeated easily by Dumbledore in around 5 seconds whereas Newt blocked multiple spells and defended himself against Grindelwald for around a minute.

Cease the whining. Thank you.

Cease dancing around my points and selectively choosing what you want to address. Thank you.

In-universe isn't a sketchy speculation, at worst it might have become after the outbreak of those silly comparison like he is high trained agent and he is ninja etc. Bellatrix was hailed a prodigy and claimed to learn from Voldemort himself as his most loyal servant. She was dueling three wizards at once, wrecking multiply snatchers and beating some of the notable aurors.

Wow it's almost as if you've posted this crap about 5 times already...

And yes what you're doing is speculating. Honestly in universe Newt should be aroung Kingsley tier based off accolades and such but by feats he crushes him. Baselessly speculating about where Newt should stand in universe is irrelevant because we have no way to concretely support it. So of course we have to turn to feats in which Newt is quite possibly superior to Bella.

You brag about people naming feats but in return you give them what? Newt blocking three spells and pure speculation that comes close to a fan-fiction of brave Newt fighting Grindelwald for a minute whilst in reality we have seen him block few spells without being able to counterattack.

Fan fiction? I'm going by logic here. There was a cut when Newt was in cover and then when we cut back Newt has moved location. Now obviously Newt was pinned down by Grindelwald so there is no possible way he could have moved from cover without having to fight Grindelwald.

You're assuming that Newt could have remained in cover the whole time despite the duo having moved when we cut back. We have to assume Grindelwald and Newt duelled for those 20 seconds because there simply isn't another logical answer.

Occam's razor dictates that we should always go down the path with the least required speculation which in this case is that Newt and Grindelwald duelled and while duelling Newt retreated hence the change in location.

My "fan fiction" is actually logically supported. Try again.

Of course I do. I know most of the feats except for those from Crimes of J.K Rowling Grindelwald.

Really funny jab at a movie you haven't seen...

But unlike you I don't have the need to complain about how people are mentioning those I already do. And the answer to that is on the bottom of this post. Also, movie-wise, Newt was actively trying to defend himself and that's all. Aurors were trying to take down Grindelwald and I'd wager that being in such large group wouldn't help with reacting to spells either.

More speculation okay? I'm not saying Newt scales above 20 aurors but he does scale bare minimum above one based on the fact that he was abe to defend himself unlike the aurors. I really don't care what BS excuse you make up for them. Them being in a large group doesn't mean they lose any and all competency. At this point you're just making stuff up to fit your bias.

And the way you addressed sounds like wishful thinking. We have seen how Newt throws one spell that gets effortlessly blocked and then proceed to run for his life. After 20 or so second cut he stands in front of Credence and blocks three spells (and mind that he visibly cowered when blocking them) before getting outmaneuvered. I can easily imagine a scene in which Newt once again runs and throws some desperate spells before standing in front of Credence an blocking few spells (I can even imagine him blocking two or so more. Blocking spells isn't that impressive when it's all you try to do.

You're joking me. If Newt tried to run he'd be hit in the back by a stunner or some other Jinx. You can blatantly see he was pinned down and that there was no chance of running. He would have had to have duelled Grindelwald.

Also once again keep in kind that duels aren't often won by overwhelming the the protection charm, but by skill, creativity and knowledge combined with speed. At least in the books. In the movie you have Harry doing that:

I'm aware that usually duels aren't won by overwhelming a Shield Charm. I don't see how this effects Newt though. Especially since I don't take the movies as canon besides the FB movies because they were written by Rowling so Harry beating Voldemort never happened.

And in book Harry wouldn't beat Bellatrix either.

No shit.

Fact is, movie and books are rather different. In the books Voldemort couldn't comfortably best trio of McGonagall, Slughorn and Shacklebolt, while in movie Grindelwald takes on a small army of MACUSA and is winning.

Wow. Let's ommit context to both of these. Grindelwald takes on a small army of MACUSA because they're attacking him from the front which makes it considerably easier for him to defend himself. Also he wasn't winning. He takes out 2 of 20. Doesn't make him better.

As for Voldemort vs the trio you've completely ignored that they were all amped by Sacrificial Protection which was placed upon them by Harry. That's the only reason they lasted that long.

At this point you're just trying to agrue the movies are more outlandish so you have an excuse for losing our debate.

If anything, Newt appearing in the movie is the thing that vastly helps him in this match-up since the movies simply look differently - more spectacular.

Not really... Newt didn't really do anything besides duel Grindelwald.

But it also creates inconsistencies as to what is impressive in both of these mediums.

Based on what exactly?

Thing is that even based on the scenes you showed he isn't even better than Bellatrix.

You've yet to prove this. All you've done is feat dump and lowball. Not really compelling arguments.

And it's also why in-universe, accolades and implied skill is important when comparing book and movie only characters. The scale is often different.

Underlined the relevant part for you. Skill is implied but there is really no fool proof way of knowing JK's thoughts which is why we have to use a feats comparison.

But based on this scene Harry should be way above even a small group of aurors. Right?

No. Besides Fantastic Beasts the movies aren't canon so trying to point out inconsistencies in the core movies and pointing out none in Fantastic Beasts doesn't help your case.

Just to summarize my points:

Newt blocking few spells with visible strain and without being able to counter-attack doesn't prove he can win against Lestrange who is regarded as a prodigy with training from Riddle, access to dark magic, willingness to kill, and feats like fighting multiply people at once and consistently besting named auror who are, by the by, hyped as far more dangerous in the books than they are shown in Fantastic Beasts.

Wow you've made a mini RT and lowballed Newt at every turn. Good for you.

You cannot fill the blank 20 seconds with what you wish happened. I can do the same and both scenarios are plausible.

I will cancerously lowball Newt at every turn.

Fixed.

Also addressed this.

Books and movies are different. In one Voldemort alone wrecks Hogwart's shield and Grindelwald smashes over twenty aurors, while in the books Voldemort fights two professors and one auror and it's considered impressive because scale in the books is, well, different. In-universe matters here. A lot.

Addressed this. The movies aren't canon besides FB and Grindelwald's performance was overrated. Plus Voldemort's fight was circumstantial.

ArkhamAsylum3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arkhamasylum3

If that's the best kind of feats we see from Newt in the first film, then he isn't lasting against Bellatrix.

The gifs you posted were not a duel at all, that was Grindelwald playing cat and mouse with Newt at about 5% effort.

He was pissed off. It wasn't 5% effort.

Also as I pointed out about half the duel happens off screen ( in between gifs 2 and 3). Grindelwald comes off as superior because he has the surprise advantage initially in gifs 1 and 2 and in gif 3 Newt's trying to protect himself and Credence at the same time which is why he loses.

Newt is inferior but he performed admirably despite being outclassed. Bella on the other hand was subdued and restrained in like 5 seconds by Dumbledore.

FromBeyond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frombeyond said:

@arkhamasylum3

He was pissed off. It wasn't 5% effort.

Also as I pointed out about half the duel happens off screen ( in between gifs 2 and 3). Grindelwald comes off as superior because he has the surprise advantage initially in gifs 1 and 2 and in gif 3 Newt's trying to protect himself and Credence at the same time which is why he loses.

Newt is inferior but he performed admirably despite being outclassed. Bella on the other hand was subdued and restrained in like 5 seconds by Dumbledore.

Meh i'm not gonna argue the point. We have no real way of consistently scaling the FB film power levels to the main continuity power levels. Really Newt has never struck me as a Bella-level character, simply because he was never meant to be. The whole point of the Harry Potter films and FB films are that the main protagonists are up against foes who are massively more powerful than themselves.

If we scaled Newt down to main continuity levels, I'd honestly say he'd be more fairly squared against Harry than Bellatrix in a 1v1 duel.

ArkhamAsylum3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ArkhamAsylum3

@frombeyond: I agree with you that Newt isn't close to Grindelwald. I was just arguing that his feat against Grindelwald was incredibly impressive and is worthy of recognition.

Newt was clearly outmatched but he still defended himself from Grindelwald and held up well.

I can see your perspective though and I honestly agree. Realistically in universe Bella would win and Newt is probably around Kingsley tier however this isn't reflected by feats.

geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Newt gets destroyed.

The difference of having the Elder Wand is extremely unquantifiable.

FromBeyond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arkhamasylum3: Yeah quite possibly.

At some point I might analyse the FB films (probably after the next one) and see if I can come up with a power scaling chart for more accurate comparison between the FB films and the main continuity. Because right now a mid-tier in FB is as good as any main-universe high tier, and a FB high-tier would solo the main universe.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arkhamasylum3 said:

@decaf_wizard:

All the quotes refer to Grindelwald with The Elder Wand besides the ones when they were teenagers. Though as I said I don't hold The Elder Wand in high esteem at all but I know some people do.

And you assume that people KNEW about that? Pretty large leap in logic. Especially when it wasn't common knowledge that Dumbledore had the wand and it took Voldemort ages to find that out

Avatar image for myleftbuttcheeksolos
Myleftbuttcheeksolos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scam dies every round. Last round ends with Bella giving snake boy head.

ArkhamAsylum3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@decaf_wizard:

And you assume that people KNEW about that? Pretty large leap in logic. Especially when it wasn't common knowledge that Dumbledore had the wand and it took Voldemort ages to find that out

I'm not saying they knew that though. The quotes are from people who have only ever seen Grindelwald use The Elder Wand's power and have never seen him without it. While they didn't know he had it they were still basing Grindelwald being unequaled (besides Dumbledore) off of Grindelwald's magical prowess with The Elder Wand.

Doctor__Hanlon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bellatrix wouldn't be scared to use dark curses and not exactly play by duelling rules.

Bayman007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think Newt is a match for Bellatrix currently. They both die in the Bonus round.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6891767abb2
deactivated-5c6891767abb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

By book feats Bella wins with mid-hard difficulty

By movie feats Newt stomps

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6891767abb2
deactivated-5c6891767abb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bellatrix wouldn't be scared to use dark curses and not exactly play by duelling rules.

I don't think Newt is a match for Bellatrix currently. They both die in the Bonus round.

If we use book Bellatrix she wins. In book in Deathly Hallow she traited Hermione, Luna and Ginny together combined as joke ( Bella nearly succeded death cursing Molly's Daughter )

If not Molly Weasley 3 girls ( where Hermione is most powerful of her friends ) would be overkilled. Bella even was proud of herself she was trained individually by Voldemort.

But in movie she is strong but feats nor as impressive as Newt's

GuedesEvery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, Bella is one of the best and most powerful witches in the Harry Potter universe. Little we know of the fighting ability of Newt, but he is a wizard effortless and without fear some, since it fought against Grindelwald ...

R1: I believe Bella wins, more knowledge of spells, more battle feats, more articulate.

R2: I believe Bella again but not very very easy.

R3: I feel sorry for Newt here, he's crushed.

R Bonus: Bella can survive, she knows more Voldemort and has better preparation to survive even if she can not overcome Voldemort she survives, Newt would last a few seconds here.

Avatar image for deactivated-6098713be0993
deactivated-6098713be0993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Book Bella wins 10/10 due to far superior skill and speed in a stomp.

Movie wise Newt wins in a decent fight. His beasts and unpredictability give him the edge over a virtually featless Bella.

The hypothetical scenarios are pointless as the elder wand literally has no feats. Aside from being called the unbeatable wand, it has never been credited with any feats from either the books or the movies. It's all hype at this point. However, for the bonus round book Voldemort ragdolls them. Newt could possibly last if it's the movie versions, but Bella dies in a few seconds.