Ned Stark Vs. Sandor Clegane

• 63 results
schillenger420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Ned Stark Vs. Sandor Clegane (65 votes)

Ned Stark 37%
Sandor Clegane 63%

Ned Stark finds out the Lannisters are plotting against the Throne. To find out he had to question a servant, and the servant being in truth loyal to the Lannisters tells them Ned's about to reveal their scheme. The Lannisters send Sandor Clegane to kill Ned (Can't send Jaime in case Sandor get's caught there's deniability). Sandor catches Ned in the Courtyard en-route to the Maesters. Words are exchanged and swords drawn.....

Who wins?

• 
ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ComicStooge

Ned dies horribly, again. :'(

Herald417

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Herald417

Sandor stomps

THC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By THC

Ned, with relative ease.

Gregor Clegane > Sandor Clegane

Smiling Knight = Gregor Clegane

Arthur Dayne >>> Smiling Knight

Arthur Dayne >= Jaime Lannister

Jaime Lannister >= Ned Stark

Cregan_Stark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thc: No no no no. GRRM himself said that Ned is nothing more than above average as a swordsman while Jaime is legendary. Don't be fooled by that ridiculous fight on the tv show where Ned appeared to hold his own against Jaime, he would have been slaughtered if it were book versions. In the books they didn't want to kill Ned and just killed his men instead including Jory who was a fine warrior.

As for your comparisons, it's shown time and again that The Hound is superior to his brother with the sword.

Smiling Knight held his own against Arthur Freaking Dayne, he would murder stomp Gregor.

I agree with Dayne >> The Smiling Knight

Jaime isn't equal to Dayne, Barristan in his prime might be on Dayne's level if Daybe doesn't have Dawn but Jaime is a notch below these two. They are up in the top 4 all time with Daemon Blackfyre and Aemon the Dragonknight. Jaime is slightly below in a class with Cregan Stark.

Anyway, Hound beats Ned easily.

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Penderor

@cregan_stark: No, in fact it could be good duel and Ned has a chance.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rogueshadow  Moderator

TV versions - Ned.

Book - Gregor.

Asura7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ned Stark has Ice which is strong enough to behead a man with one stroke. He'd destroy the Hound no problem.

Thanofleeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asura7: Your avatar looks like Joffrey lol

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Ned didn't have any time to wrack up feats before getting his head chopped off.

Hound for the win.

BoringPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cregan_stark: GRRM stated he loved the Jaime/Ned fight scene. Ned was no slouch, and was a hardened veteran with an otherworldly light greatsword.

Sandor is a longsword and shield kinda guy, and a fight with someone competent with a Greatsword should end up a fight of stamina... which is hard to call. Valyrian swords op.

Cregan_Stark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boringperson: I'm sorry but unless you are talking purely TV show and not books then you are wrong.

GRRM has explicitly stated that Ned is only an above average swordsman and an excellent commander. He also has stated that Sandor is one of the best Warriors in Westeros. This is also shown throughout the books.

Read so spake Martin.

Sandor wins easily unless this is show Ned. People are often fooled by the TV show version.

Cregan_Stark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@penderor: Not unless you are talking about TV versions. If these are book versions then Ned dies horribly and quickly.

Once again, GRRM stated that Ned is not a great swordsman. He might be the best commander that we've seen but not a great swordsman.

NEEK_03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i didnt read the books sadly, i want to but i got into GOT from the show so i dont want to spoil it. i know if i start reading the books i will binge, so im stuck with the tv versions where i say ned in a close match.

i seriously am still pissed to this day that ned and drogo died so early, my two favorite characters. nowadays i like arya, denarius and then snow.

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Erkan12

@cregan_stark said:

@thc: No no no no. GRRM himself said that Ned is nothing more than above average as a swordsman while Jaime is legendary. Don't be fooled by that ridiculous fight on the tv show where Ned appeared to hold his own against Jaime, he would have been slaughtered if it were book versions. In the books they didn't want to kill Ned and just killed his men instead including Jory who was a fine warrior.

As for your comparisons, it's shown time and again that The Hound is superior to his brother with the sword.

Smiling Knight held his own against Arthur Freaking Dayne, he would murder stomp Gregor.

Jaime isn't equal to Dayne, Barristan in his prime might be on Dayne's level if Daybe doesn't have Dawn but Jaime is a notch below these two. They are up in the top 4 all time with Daemon Blackfyre and Aemon the Dragonknight. Jaime is slightly below in a class with Cregan Stark.

Agreed. Unfortunately Ned was average soldier not bad about it but not special either, more like battle commander / strategist type.

But HBO showed him as equal to Jaime. If OP asking with tv show feats, then Ned has a chance otherwise Hound stomps.

And Dayne would slaughter Ned, Howland Reed saved him.

BoringPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cregan_stark: Valyrian greatsword beats longsword and shield.

The books are not comics, the knights are just warriors. Ned is an above average fighter as compared to other people who were trained to be warriors from childhood as he was. The skill differential is not particularly significant.

Ned loses stamina more slowly due to the lightness of his sword and is skilled enough to keep up with Sandor. Sandor is unable to utilize his greater strength and heavier armor because of the reach and sharpness of Ice.

The Hound's in book fight feats aren't good enough for me to think his "skill" is enough of a factor to matter here.

Cregan_Stark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Cregan_Stark

@boringperson: I don't think I've ever seen someone be more wrong in a single post. Ned had no fighting feats in the books.

Read the series and then come back.

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reyuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh you mean the one where Jaime was about to piss himself before the guard speared Ned?

Jaime is horribly over-rated.

Cregan_Stark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reyuna: we are referring to the books here, where that never happened

Quickfingers26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Hound wins quite easily.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 rogueshadow  Moderator

The Hound has some Kentucky fried wolf.

Kal-L

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ned doesn't stand a chance against the Hound. This isn't even a match.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By rogueshadow  Moderator

@rogueshadow said:

TV versions - Ned.

Book - Gregor.

Strike that.

@rogueshadow said:

The Hound has some Kentucky fried wolf.

Not sure why I said Gregor, lol.

xtreme1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Hound

D3athstroke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By D3athstroke

Ned gets butchered and pissed on.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This isn't as bad as people think it is. If Ned has his Ice, it very well can cut through Sandor's sword leaving him unarmed.

On top of the swords sharpness, Ice is highly durable and lighter than normal steel. The sharpness would make up for the lower momentum.

Kal-L

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimj87d: For Ned to manage to cut through Sandor's sword would mean that they exchange many blows (Arthur Dayne and the Smiling Knight) however we know that they aren't at all in the same league, Ned is an average fighter or slightly above while the Hound is one of the greatest fighter of Westeros, there is no match between the two.

VictorGnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By VictorGnome

I seriously don't get where people got "Ned is an average fighter." I feel like they read some random comment on the Internet and have repeated it ever since, thus the bandwagon was created for the sheep to carry like an echo. No, Ned is not an average fighter - he's highly above that. In the books, he keeps up with Arthur Dayne while the rest of his allies (who were at the very least "average" fighters) died extremely soon. In the show, he does this and he makes Jamie extremely angry and nervous because of the realization that Ned is a serious fighter and will not go down easily, as opposed to Ned's ally whom had been killed in an instant of fighting Jamie. Seriously, I don't know where you got that from, and it doesn't matter how much you repeat what you hear from others - it's never going to be true. The facts speak for themselves.

As such, Ned is going to keep up with Sandor and cut him a few times, but The Hound will ultimately prevail because he's a small tank. After a few trades, Ned will be too weak and is going to be killed.

Chubbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Book versions, Sandor pwns

Show versions, Sandor wins, but it's a decent fight

Vertigo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 the_red_viper  Moderator

@blackestnight93: Thanks for the tag.

Ned dies horribly regardless of book or show version.

I seriously don't get where people got "Ned is an average fighter." I feel like they read some random comment on the Internet and have repeated it ever since, thus the bandwagon was created for the sheep to carry like an echo. No, Ned is not an average fighter - he's highly above that. In the books, he keeps up with Arthur Dayne while the rest of his allies (who were at the very least "average" fighters) died extremely soon. In the show, he does this and he makes Jamie extremely angry and nervous because of the realization that Ned is a serious fighter and will not go down easily, as opposed to Ned's ally whom had been killed in an instant of fighting Jamie. Seriously, I don't know where you got that from, and it doesn't matter how much you repeat what you hear from others - it's never going to be true. The facts speak for themselves.

As such, Ned is going to keep up with Sandor and cut him a few times, but The Hound will ultimately prevail because he's a small tank. After a few trades, Ned will be too weak and is going to be killed.

1. We never get the specifics of the fight at the Tower of Joy. We only know that Ned only survived because Howland Reed saved his life, which is exactly want happened in the show.
  2. In the show, Jaime was toying with Ned. Not much more than that. He would have killed him in less than 10 seconds if it was a serious fight. In the books too by the way.
  3. GRRM said that Ned is competent. Not above that. Sandor on the other hand is one of the best in all of Westeros, good enough to give even people like Barristan and Dayne a good fight.
Avatar image for dukeofwestminster
DukeOfWestminster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thc: that's super dumb

Since when is Gregor > Sandor?

They only had one scuffle in which none came on top and it was stopped pre-climax.

And Smiling Knight > Gregor?

Why?

Avatar image for dukeofwestminster
DukeOfWestminster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolute stomp in Sandor's favour.

Ned was said by GRRM to be simply average, his talent lying in commanding.

Sandor, meanwhile, is one of the very best in Westeros, besting Beric Dondarrion even though he was weakened by fire and imprisonment, and several times showed skill in fighting several opponents at once.

Ned's only feat is fighting Jaime's men, and his fighting style in the books was described as just waving his sword from side to side.

And the argument that Ice would somehow give Ned the edge is just stupid. Ned isn't very strong, not even being able to lift Robert's hammer, and he could barely swing Ice, let alone match Sandor's speed and ferocity with it.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Hound

Aatroxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Hound.

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Hound wins.

Necromancer76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why bump, the Hound wins.

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sandor stomps.

omriamar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The amount of disrespect guys have here for Ned is astounding to me this man went against Jaime Lannister to a stalemate himself who will beat the hound for sure how do have the nerv to say sendor stomps is above I mean even Brian defeated him are you crazy??

Vertigo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omriamar said:

The amount of disrespect guys have here for Ned is astounding to me this man went against Jaime Lannister to a stalemate himself who will beat the hound for sure how do have the nerv to say sendor stomps is above I mean even Brian defeated him are you crazy??

Pretty sure Jamie wasn't taking Ned seriously in the slightest in that fight

@the_red_viper can elaborate

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 the_red_viper  Moderator
omriamar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackestnight93: what about 25 years of experience fighting the best of the best like the sword of the morning himself and more battles than I can count and don't say Jamie was holding back you can't prove it only guess and you are wrong that was a kill or be killed type of fight and it ended in a stalemate but I do believe Jamie would have won in the end I have him as the best sword fighter in the show at that time though over all I say his number 3

Vertigo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Vertigo-

@omriamar said:

@blackestnight93: what about 25 years of experience fighting the best of the best like the sword of the morning himself and more battles than I can count and don't say Jamie was holding back you can't prove it only guess and you are wrong that was a kill or be killed type of fight and it ended in a stalemate but I do believe Jamie would have won in the end I have him as the best sword fighter in the show at that time though over all I say his number 3

Honestly, watching young Ned's fight against Dayne, I wouldn't go hyping that feat so much. Ned was fodder compared to Dayne at the time. As I said, I'm very sure Jaime was toying with Ned in their fight, and even re-watching that fight, I don't see why this isn't the case

Vertigo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Vertigo-

@the_red_viper said:

@blackestnight93: I'm starting to grow tired of elaborating on that actually.

meh. I have you pegged as one of my go to guys for GOT/ASOIAF. ya got good judgement there

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 the_red_viper  Moderator

@blackestnight93: I agree with your view on this, it's just that this question has been brought up a lot lately and discussing it over and over again is kinda tiring lol. Thanks for the compliment though.

Vertigo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bc0cd36084
deactivated-5d6bc0cd36084

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The Hound after a pretty good - but not great - fight.

Avatar image for deactivated-59c0eef934dfe
deactivated-59c0eef934dfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sandor.

omriamar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackestnight93: I think it's the actor fault he was trash but the lord of the rings virsone is good he have raw power to handle himself against the hound and he is more skilled

Vertigo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Vertigo-

@omriamar said:

@blackestnight93: I think it's the actor fault he was trash but the lord of the rings virsone is good he have raw power to handle himself against the hound and he is more skilled

You can't go blaming Sean Bean for how that fight went. That's just ridiculous. Boromir has nothing to do with this thread, so I don't see why you're bringing him up.