The Nazgul lead by the Witch King of Angmar

No Caption Provided

VS

Eight Generic White Walkers lead by the Night's King

No Caption Provided

They all start off on horse back.

No dragons or undead armies are allowed to be summoned

Neutral ground

Which of these terrifying magical villains of fantasy is stronger?

Avatar image for deactivated-5aba78567e8b5
deactivated-5aba78567e8b5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

LpnQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nazgul takes it.

Not even sure WW's can hurt them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5aba78567e8b5
deactivated-5aba78567e8b5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

can I get some more opinions up in this hizzy?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a2b0053414c5
deactivated-5a2b0053414c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd wait until we see the full capability of the Night King

FatherChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FatherChaos

Let's see....

Five Nazgul, including Witch-king, failed to kill the Hobbits and were fought off by Aragorn. Witch-King breaks Gandalf's staff, kills Theoden, and got killed by a woman and a hobbit. Then the other 8 get pwned by eagles.

White Walkers kill Waymar Royce and another Ranger. A Walker fails to kill Gilly and take her baby and gets killed by Sam the Slayer. WWs attack Hardhome and watch as their Wight army massacres the Wildlings. One Walker goes in to personally confront Jon Snow and Loboda. He easily wrecks Loboda and toys with Jon, but gets killed as soon as Jon has a weapon capable of harming him. Then the WWs and their army attack the Three-Eyed Raven's cave, again letting all the Wights do the work. Again, as soon as a Walker comes in personally he gets killed by Meera.

So basically every time the WWs go into a 1v1 with a named character, they die. At least the Witch King seemed to have the upper hand on Gandalf (movie only though), and killed Theoden. Meanwhile the WW's best feat is killing Waymar and Benjen. I'll side with the Nazgul.

rpottage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nazgul take it.

The Witch-King was only killed after being attacked by the Barrow-Blade which was an enchanted blade specifically designed to fight Mordor and which had been given to Merry by Tom Bombadil.
And the rest of the Nazgul were only defeated when the One Ring was destroyed, thus severing their ties to the world.

Jexsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are White Walkers susceptible to normal attacks? Last I checked, IIRC, they can only be killed by Dragonglass and Valyrian Steel weapons.

rpottage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jexsu said:

Are White Walkers susceptible to normal attacks? Last I checked, IIRC, they can only be killed by Dragonglass and Valyrian Steel weapons.

Presumably the Black Breath would effect them; even if their weapons did not. The Witch-King's Morgul-Blade should also kill them as it's a dark magic blade.

Jexsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rpottage: But how do we actually know that? Has those weapons killed anything similar to a White Walker?

rpottage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jexsu said:

@rpottage: But how do we actually know that? Has those weapons killed anything similar to a White Walker?

The Nazgul?

I mean of we're going all out on them, then yes. They're Umaiar (Demons) and their Black-Breath (aura) affected all living creatures. They were bound to Sauron and the more powerful he was, the more powerful they were. Even without the One Ring, the Witch-King still a match for Gandalf the White and able to destroy his staff; and Gandalf the White is a Maiar (An angel).

That's kind of the problem with asking if they're powerful enough though; you really have to dig into the Simillarion and extended writings of Tolkien to understand.
But basically they're the most powerful servants to a fallen Archangel who sits on the throne of the Devil in the Devil's place; and even when not at full power are still capable of fighting regular angels and have auras that can kill all living beings (which would include arch-angels if they were around too long).

So yes, kind of; in the unique extended Tolkien way.

Jexsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rpottage: The next thing begs me to question, are the Nazgul better than they were portrayed in the movies? I mean, if they were portrayed correctly, then I'm not sure they'd stand a chance against the White Walkers.

rpottage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jexsu said:

@rpottage: The next thing begs me to question, are the Nazgul better than they were portrayed in the movies? I mean, if they were portrayed correctly, then I'm not sure they'd stand a chance against the White Walkers.

Yes, no, kind of.

In the movies they're portrayed at their weakest. Bound to Sauron; they're at their lowest power in the First Book just as he is; while in the last book they're closer to their potential just as Sauron is. The movies also leave out things like the Barrow-Blade. In the movie it's made to seem like all it took was a woman to kill the Witch-King; in the books it's clear that he was first stabbed with a weapon designed specifically to fight the powers of Mordor that was given to Merry by Tom Bombadil (who's basically above everything and existed before time did).

So for the most part they are portrayed correctly; but they're portrayed at their weakest point. Their power is tied to Sauron's, and Sauron put his power into the One Ring so without it he's weak himself.
It's like looking at a movie based on the early Golden Age Superman, he's portrayed correctly but at the weakest point in the timeline. It's the same thing with the Nazgul, they're mostly portrayed correctly but their only portrayed at their weakest.

maiamaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huh. Looks like I'm not needed here

VashtaNerada88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the 9

WW's get stabbed and turn into wraiths =P

ManaMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump. Lets keep this conversation going now that the final season is being released.

SmoothSanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Witch King leads his lads to an easy win. He takes the Night King while the others hold off the WWs.

Zuriel-el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see them Killing the night king. His spears are no joke.

Yosefscion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Yosefscion

Yup