Middleweights (25-50 ton characters) Bracket Battle!

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By owie  Moderator

This is a bracket-style H2H battle among characters who are "mediumweights"--their strength levels are between 25 and 50 tons.

(Please note that this is not intended to be any kind of inclusive list, and it doesn't necessarily use all the best or most popular H2H combatants at this power class.)

They each start out in pairs, battling each other. Once each battle is done, they move on to the next battle, as stipulated by the brackets. The last one is the Big Winner!

Who wins each battle in each round? (See bracket below.)

These battles take place in a deserted Nebraska prairie. Each fight starts at 15’.

Win by any means. Each participant is completely rested and restored before each new battle. Morals off.

Character versions and weapons:

Acroyear is the standard version and has his energy sword. Sif is current and has an uru sword. Warpath is current and has his vibranium knives. Beast is current. Black Tarantula is standard, but does not have his eye beams. Wrecker is standard and has his crowbar. Valkyrie is current and has her sword Dragonfang. Arclight is standard. Armadillo is standard. Luke Cage is current and has an adamantium chain. (Baby) Wildebeest is from the Teen Titans animated show/comic adaptation. Volstagg is current and has a sword. Sabra is standard but does not have her normal weapons. Roughouse is standard. Frenzy is standard. Warstar is standard, but B'nee will not use his electrical powers.

The official strength levels of some of these characters are somewhat nebulous. After a fair amount of research and guesswork, I came up with these strength levels. They may or may not be correct, but they are the levels we'll use for this fight (just to avoid arguing about whether character A is stronger than character B): Acroyear: 30 tons, Sif: 30 tons, Warpath: 25 tons, Beast: 25 tons, Black Tarantula: 45 tons, Wrecker: 40 tons, Valkyrie: 45 tons, Arclight: 50 tons, Armadillo: 25 tons, Luke Cage: 25 tons, Wildebeest: 30 tons, Volstagg: 35 tons, Sabra: 50 tons, Roughouse: 50 tons, Frenzy: 50 tons, Warstar: 50 tons.

The Brackets:

No Caption Provided

Who wins each battle in each round?

Acroyear
Acroyear
Sif
Sif
Warpath
Warpath
Beast
Beast
Black Tarantula
Black Tarantula
Wrecker
Wrecker
Valkyrie
Valkyrie
Arclight
Arclight
Armadillo
Armadillo
Luke Cage
Luke Cage
Animated Wildebeest
Animated Wildebeest
Volstagg
Volstagg
Sabra
Sabra
Roughouse
Roughouse
Frenzy
Frenzy
Warstar
Warstar

If you like this battle

you may also want to check out my other bracket battles: Magic, Guns, Lightweights, and Welterweights. Cruiserweights, Heavyweights, and possibly Superheavyweights still to come.

babylinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By babylinkz

warpath solos with currect powers....spite

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By owie  Moderator

@babylinkz said:

warpath solos with currect powers....spite

Why? My understanding is that current Warpath has lost a lot of strength and is down around 25 tons. Unless he has some other new powers besides his strength and speed.

Besides this is a bracket battle, he can't solo, he can only win.

Avatar image for insheepsclothes
insheepsclothes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By insheepsclothes

great thread man! you do an awesome job w/ these bracket battles involving some of the lessed known characters. kudos. i dont have much time to detail my answers, but i see the semi-finals being: Sif v. Valkyrie (who barely beats Wrecker) & Sabra v. Luke Cage....then the finals being: Luke Cage vs. Valkyrie.....winner: Valkyrie!! she has the training, experience & aptitude w/ her weapon to do some serious damage here, but by no means will any of her battles be easy. luke is super durable, but she has the speed and agility needed to combat his brute force style of combat. to the winner go the spoils!!!

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#5  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

I was going to come in and complain that Jack Hawksmoor wasn't included, but after looking at how well thought-out and put together the fight is, I can't complain. Good job.

Chibio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Chibio

Dear Owie, your battles are always amazing. I visit every single thread with the intention to argue, but I always see that I don't know half of the characters, so I have to skip it every single time. It's a pity and I'm ashamed, that I know only about mainstream characters and rarely about lesser known characters from Marvel and DC.
Once again, great thread indeed!

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jashro44

I don't really know a lot of these people here but I say Valkyrie. She is the strongest one (that I know of) and the best fighter. Nice thread! Probably one of the best.

sandiego008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sandiego008

@Chibio said:

Dear Owie, your battles are always amazing. I visit every single thread with the intention to argue, but I always see that I don't know half of the characters, so I have to skip it every single time. It's a pity and I'm ashamed, that I know only about mainstream characters and rarely about lesser known characters from Marvel and DC. Once again, great thread indeed!

This is exactly why I like it ... I know enough of the characters to get me interested in the thread. Then I get to do some research on the ones I don't know and learn about them. Just because you don't know EVERY character doesn't mean you can't click on the link he provides and learn about them then make a judgement based on that.

@Owie: I'll get to this thread as I have your past threads ... probably sometime tonight.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1
deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Round 1 Left side:
  • Sif vs Acroyear: Sif should be able to deal with Acroyear, although I don't know too much about Acroyear. His power suit and energy sword could be a problem.
  • Warpath vs Beast: Warpath should be able to take Beast. Especially since he's equipped with those knives of his.
  • Wrecker vs Black Tarantula: I think Wrecker would be able to take BT. Wrecker having his crowbar is a factor for me.
  • Valkyrie vs Arclight: Valkyrie vs Arclight could probably go either way, but since Valkyrie is equipped with Drangfang I would give her the edge over Arclight.
Round 1 Right side:
  • Luke Cage vs Armadillo: I believe Cage can handle Armadillo
  • Wildebesst vs Volstagg: Don't know about this version of Wildebeest. So I'll take Volstagg by default.
  • Roughhouse vs Sabra: I think Roughhouse vs Sabra could go either way. Don't know Sabra to well but after looking her up it seems her and Roughhouse have similar physical attributes to each other. She seems to have some formal training in h2h combat, whereas Roughhouse is more of a brawler, but I don't believe that will give her the edge in this fight. This could go either way, but I'm back Roughhouse just because I'm Wolverine fanboy. :)
  • Frenzy vs Warstar: I believe Frenzy would be able to take Warstar. I'm not to sure on this one either though.
Round 2 Left side:
  • Sif vs Warpath: I would think Sif would be able to take Warpath. Although Warpath knives would be a could cause problems for Sif
  • Wrecker vs Valkyrie: This one should be a close fight. I would say Valkyrie would edges him out.
Round 2 Right side:
  • Luke Cage vs Volstagg: Another close match IMO, I would say Cage. Though I can see Volstagg winning.
  • Roughhouse vs Frenzy: Frenzy should be able to handle Roughhouse.
Round 3 Left side:
  • Sif vs Valkyrie: Sif should be able to defeat Valkyrie. I believe it would be a close match.
Round 3 Right side:
  • Frenzy vs Luke Cage: I don't know about this one, they are similar in power sets with Frenzy being stronger (based off her wiki). I wanna say Cage just because I know more about him, but I don't know. For now I say Cage pulls a win out in a close one.
Round 4 Final battle:
  • Sif vs Luke Cage: I think this is a close one also. I'll give the edge in durability to Cage, I don't know what Sif will be able to do with her Uru sword and whether or not it will harm Cage (probably not). But I would say Cage will pull through only due to his superior durability.

So I guess the winner of the toruny (for me) would be Cage. Most of this is probably wrong seeing how I either don't know the character at all or only know a little about the character. But I gave it go.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By owie  Moderator

@insheepsclothes: @Buckshot: @Chibio: @jashro44: @sandiego008: Thanks for the compliments and the answers. And, as sandieego says, I don't think you really need to know 100% of the characters to throw in an educated guess about the tournament. I know these bracket battles are complicated, which means a lot of people aren't going to read past the first few lines anyway. So for me, any guess at the winners is a good guess, I'm glad to just get some comments.

@_slim_: Thanks, great summary. My take on your final battle is that I don't think Cage's durability is any greater than an Asgardian's, and that if Asgardians can hurt each other in battle, then Sif would be able to hurt Luke if she hit him. (Maybe he's tougher than I thought though.)

My personal take on the fights is (winners in bold):

Round 1: Acroyear's sword gives him an edge, but I'm guessing Sif's skill just manages to eke out a win. Warpath is more skilled and ferocious a fighter than Beast. Black Tarantula is far more skilled than Wrecker, and his healing factor helps him out as well; Wrecker is one tough nut, but I think Tarantula takes him down. Valkyrie is way more skilled than Arclight; Arclight's power works at a distance, and she's just as deadly-minded, but Val is not going to be stopped by someone the likes of her. I could easily see Armadillo beating Cage, he's got those claws and shell, but for whatever reason I see Cage winning this; I guess because I just see Armadillo as being a less-serious fighter. I know the animated Wildebeest may be the most random version of a character here, sorry everyone. Wildebeest is a tough guy, I think he can take Volstagg, even though I love the big guy and he can go in a berzerker rage when necessary (plus, remember his recent time inside the Destroyer armor in Journey into Mystery!). I think Sabra's skill puts her on top of Roughouse, but that's a tough fight; she's also faster and more maneuverable than him. I think Frenzy takes Warstar, just because.

Round 2: Sif and Warpath is a solid fight, but I think Sif takes it through her experience and slight strength advantage. Black Tarantula vs Valkyrie is a hard one; I like both and they are both very skilled and they have the same strength. I am going for Tarantula here, but with the thinnest of margins; she's maybe his best fight in the bracket. He's more agile and can really jump around, and fights armed opponents a lot, so he'd be used to what she can dish out (although that's also true in the reverse). Luke Cage and Wildebeest is also close, I think I will give it to Wildebeest for his intensity. Sabra and Frenzy is once again very close, Sabra is more skilled and has gone up against a lot of top-tier people like the Hulk one-on-one, but I think Frenzy is just a little crazier and can push her way through to win the fight.

Round 3: Black Tarantula beats Sif, just as with Valkyrie. (As a side note, an old version of OHOTMU says Val is a more skilled fighter than Sif. I don't know if this had been proven or disproven on panel before or since.) Frenzy takes out Wildebeest; they're both intense fighters, and her strength and durability are greater than his.

Final Round: Black Tarantula beats Frenzy. I think he's faster and more skilled, being knowledgeable in martial arts in addition to basic brawling (he was a chief of a hemisphere of the Hand, IIRC, under Daredevil, not a position in which they would tolerate unskilled fighters, no matter who put him in that position). She's stronger and more durable, but he has a healing factor. I think he ultimately beats her in a tough, rock-em sock-em fight.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#11  Edited By SC  Moderator

Awesome thread. Val and Cage are two characters who have had power creep (well Val started off strong then dipped) but yah, I give them best odds. 

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Saren

Incredible setup is incredible. I'll have to get back to this.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By owie  Moderator

@SC: @CitizenBane:Thanks!

Here's a nice scan of Val I just read last night, from Defenders 117. I don't know if I've seen her blocking bullets before--super close range too. It's from 30 years ago, so perhaps not super relevant to her current incarnation, but still interesting.

Val blocking bullets
Val blocking bullets
sandiego008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sandiego008

Round 1 Left side:

Sif --- I really couldn't find to much on acroyear to make a clear judgement.

Beast -- @ same strength ... Beast is more agile and quicker as well as smarter. I think he should take this.

BT -- I see him as a better fighter, faster ... so he should take this.

Valk -- To skilled for arclight

Round 2 left side:

Sif -- Sif just out classes beast

Valk --- this is a good fight but I saw valk beating BT in the end.

Round 3 Left side:

Valk --- Feel valk > sif

Round 1 Right side:

Armadillo -- Road kill slammer!! nuff said.

Volstagg -- I think he outmatches wildebeast although strong ... volstagg has taken down large beast before.

Sabra -- Seems to be the better fighter

Frenzy

Round 2 Right side:

Volstagg

Frenzy

Round 3 right side

Volstagg --- this would be a long fight but i think volstagg is more skilled

Final Round:

Volstagg --- this would be a long fight.

Nessy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Nessy

spite

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1
deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Owie

@_slim_: Thanks, great summary. My take on your final battle is that I don't think Cage's durability is any greater than an Asgardian's, and that if Asgardians can hurt each other in battle, then Sif would be able to hurt Luke if she hit him. (Maybe he's tougher than I thought though.) 

I would think it would be somewhat more easier to pierce an Asgardians skin (as long as the person has the sufficient strength to do it) than it would be to try pierce Cage's skin. Although I still don't know how affective Sif's uru sword will be against Cage. As for when it comes to durability and being able to take hits and absorb damage, of course Cage will feel the hits Sif lands on him. But for me Cage's supposedly "hard as steel" skin would at least allow him to last longer as far as taken hits go, compared to Sif's dense bodily tissue. I can see him along w/ that adamatium chain wearing her down.

The factor in this fight for me atleast is would be whether or not Sif's uru sword can pierce Cage skin (or harm him somehow), and who can wear the other down first. All in all it's a close fight that could probably go either way.
owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By owie  Moderator

@_slim_ said:

@Owie:

I would think it would be somewhat more easier to pierce an Asgardians skin (as long as the person has the sufficient strength to do it) than it would be to try pierce Cage's skin. Although I still don't know how affective Sif's uru sword will be against Cage. As for when it comes to durability and being able to take hits and absorb damage, of course Cage will feel the hits Sif lands on him. But for me Cage's supposedly "hard as steel" skin would at least allow him to last longer as far as taken hits go, compared to Sif's dense bodily tissue. I can see him along w/ that adamatium chain wearing her down. The factor in this fight for me atleast is would be whether or not Sif's uru sword can pierce Cage skin (or harm him somehow), and who can wear the other down first. All in all it's a close fight that could probably go either way.

Could be, I guess. I never know how literally we're supposed to take the impenetrability of his skin. I guess I just assumed it's sort of standard super-hero tough guy hard, and not literally impenetrable, but I could easily be wrong there. Uru isn't necessarily sharper/more piercing than normal steel, I think; I just wanted to make it indestructible so we don't get into arguments where one person cuts another person's sword in half.