MCU Thor hits MCU Thanos with the following, what's the damage?

rajjarsalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By rajjarsalt

Combo of Lightning punches

Mjolnir Baseball

No Caption Provided

Forest leveler

No Caption Provided

Double Charge shot

No Caption Provided

Jotunheim

No Caption Provided

Thanos is allowed to heal after each strike.

Juicers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Juicers

Thanos w/o helmet should be at least K.O from direct hit in the head of Mjolnir hitting Cap's shield

LorenzoDeSila

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1.MCU has never shown that level of skill but Thanos would be nearly KO.

2.It hurts but can keep fighting.

3.If it's to the head, KO.

4.Dazzed and it hurts but keeps fighting.

5.Same as 4

Avatar image for deactivated-608557dfde16e
deactivated-608557dfde16e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lorenzodesila said:

1.MCU has never shown that level of skill but Thanos would be nearly KO.

2.It hurts but can keep fighting.

3.If it's to the head, KO.

4.Dazzed and it hurts but keeps fighting.

5.Same as 4

Don't sure if we can talk about skills in the game video, but yeah I agree with pretty much everything else.

Avatar image for kryptonianking88
KryptonianKing88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By KryptonianKing88

He could honestly take everything here in one go

Lightning punches will definitely hurt but Thanos is > Hulk and even he could take 2-3 headshots without being KO'd. He should be dazed and bloodied but still in fighting condition

Mjolnir didn't even dent the Iron Man suit so it probably only staggers him

The forest hit was just a regular hit and we already saw him soak up those in EG

The lightning blasts hurt him but do little damage

rajjarsalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By rajjarsalt

@kryptonianking88:

Mjolnir one shot Iron Man tho.

And Cap never hit Thanos with the lightning uru - he was about to but Thanos rolled out of the way - the way Russos described Cap nearly defeating Thanos I feel landing that shot might have been significant. Mjolnir also sent Cull flying, which was nice.

EmmaFrostXmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He’s fine from everything

Everyone is delusional Thanos >>>>> Thor in physicals, skill, speed, etc...

LorenzoDeSila

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He would be really dead if he take everything consecutively.

Avatar image for kryptonianking88
KryptonianKing88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rajjarsalt: Take a loot at his armor, not a dent. And we know Thanos is much more durable than Tony's armor

Maybe it would have been significant, maybe it would've oneshot Thanos right there or stunned him enough for Cap to finish, I don't think we can say for sure

incursion2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanos is fine

Rebake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He tanks or soaks each one with minimum damage. AOE just means more of Thanos gets hit. Doesn't make the concentration of the attack better. Thanos is highly resistant to blunt damage and energy. He just can feel pain, but it doesn't necessarily reflect damage done.

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 takenstew22  Moderator

1. Tanks with few injuries.

2. Tanks with few injuries.

3. Tanks but a little dazed.

4. Tanks but a little dazed.

5. Is pretty hurt but survives.

MattyBoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MattyBoi

1. Heavily damaged but can still keep fighting.

2. Same as 1.

3. Tanks it just fine.

4. Same as 3.

5. Injured but can keep fighting.

Avatar image for deactivated-5eadbe7fcf64f
deactivated-5eadbe7fcf64f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They all hurt but hell tank through and keep fighting likely.

rajjarsalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By rajjarsalt

@mattyboi said:

1. Heavily damaged but can still keep fighting.

2. Same as 1.

3. Tanks it just fine.

4. Same as 3.

5. Same as 3.

How do a couple, albeit powerful, lightning punches > Jotunheim bolt focused through Mjolnir on Thanos?

MattyBoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rajjarsalt: One of those punches could do serious damage to hulk, who could shake off a strike from mjolnir. Though relooking at the feat I may have been wrong.

rajjarsalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By rajjarsalt

@mattyboi said:

@rajjarsalt: One of those punches could do serious damage to hulk, who could shake off a strike from mjolnir. Though relooking at the feat I may have been wrong.

Fair. AFAIK base uru strike > base punch, and thus imbued uru should therefore > imbued punch, but I'll admit that is because of Thor's sheer destructiveness with lightning+Mjolnir. If we look at the distance Hulk got thrown (and the stuff he got thrown through), torque errs toward base weapons, but in terms of recovery time for Hulk, they appear to be similar in damage potential. Jotunheim is Thor's best lightning bolt imo (Sokovia doesn't count, though two of the bolts charged before the strike dwarf Jotunheim,

No Caption Provided

and the city only starts to crack after the post-Mjolnir strike lightning which may actually be more powerful than Jotunheim).

TheHolyFish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Severely staggered, but still in fighting condition.

2. Same as 1.

3. Tanks easily.

4. Moderately hurt and dazed.

5. Same as 4.

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

He takes all of them

The only thing which can put him down is stormbreaker on his exposed skin

rajjarsalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By rajjarsalt

@apex_pretador said:

He takes all of them

The only thing which can put him down is stormbreaker on his exposed skin

If Cap was just about to take him according to Russos, and he was about to finish with that sky lightning-charged Mjolnir, wouldn't that suggest that lightning-charged blows would do tremendously more damage compared to non-charged, considering the damage output difference between the two? Because uru and vibranium strikes broke Thanos's helmet all up, and sky lightning cracked his chest armor IIRC.

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rajjarsalt: Cap was about to take Thanos down? Oh wait

Loading Video...

Cap first gets a cheapshot in, then lands a great strike with spinning Mjolnir, right to the jaw, followed up with great combos landing multiple hits and several lightning blasts, doesn't even keep Thanos pressured long enough, and he is able to dodge the hit. Then followed up with punching Mjolnir out of Cap's hand and smashing shield to bits, not giving Cap a moment to even summon the hammer back.

Thanos was never stunned long enough to be unable to defend himself. and except the first hit, Cap never landed a super-clean hit on Thanos with Mjolnir. Infact, the fight would have been over far sooner if not for the vibranium-Mjolnir shockwave combo which Thanos couldn't expect to knock him down from behind.

Each hit staggered Thanos, but even the strongest of them all (Lightning), performed twice, could not keep him staggered long enough for Cap to land the next hit.

Unlike certain "big guy" who quite did it. He also happened to be slower and pretty-much completely unskilled compared to the "best fighter of MCU", and lacked range, lightning, shockwave combo, etc

Loading Video...

Sure, Hulk sneak-attacked him, but so did Cap to begin with. However, Hulk's hits staggered Thanos long enough for Hulk to land another hit (which is slower than Thor-Cap's hits) - and only when Hulk paused for a few moments, by turning this into a grapple (not knowing how strong Thanos is), did Thanos get a chance to fight back.

Yet, it would be stupid to claim that Hulk "almost beat" Thanos, despite doing far better with his hits than Thor-Cap did - as the damage done to Thanos was pretty much zero (in both cases mind you).

But, but but Cap broke Thanos's helmet - irrelevant as it would have been if it was all Cap's feat, to fresh Thanos's helmet. Too bad it wasn't.

Loading Video...

2:25, Thor lands a lightning charged stormbreaker on back of Thanos's head, connecting to his helmet, and Thanos barely slows down. The helmet probably took the brunt of the damage, but in process was damaged itself.

rajjarsalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@apex_pretador:

I take it you do not have a very high opinion of Cap in that scene, compared to other users, and the Russos. I agree with your analysis for the most part. Though I'd say that Thanos was genuinely shocked by that sky-lightning bolt - like his arm, leg, and body movements look like he's dealing with electrocution, which makes sense considering what's hitting him. And that's hardly the best that the power of Thor can do.

In that case, does that reflect back on the ethos of the Russos? Because honestly, if that's something that must go, then I'm all for it. I agree that Thanos doesn't look put down at all, but that's the key in almost, isn't? Thor's lightning charged Mjolnir strikes are capable of things beyond even the sum of lightning strikes and Mjolnir strikes.

However, when I rewatched that scene at 0.25x speed, I saw Thanos dodge it. I see Stormbreaker cleanly passing through air, uninterrupted in motion, and Thanos ducking his head at the same time. Independently, a blade that creates sparks on thick armor should do more to that thin helmet.

Avatar image for deactivated-5eadbe7fcf64f
deactivated-5eadbe7fcf64f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@apex_pretador: @rajjarsalt:

People honestly need to listen to the commentary it came from and stop sharing second hand info.

They only say Cap almost had him in relation to if he could keep the constant barrage up but they say how Thanos gets his bearings and now takes out a Thor powered Cap.

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rajjarsalt:

I take it you do not have a very high opinion of Cap in that scene, compared to other users,

I have a pretty high opinion of worthy Cap, him being the only one except Thor, Hulk, Carol (and wanda) to being able to last one minute against serious Thanos. Which makes sense as he's as strong as Thor, more skilled and got the shield for combos.

and the Russos

Russos are Cap fanboyss, not that it matters here since they are just stating their opinions and/or interpretation of that scene, and opinions do not supercede on-screen explicit canon (even if it is director's opinion). Russos, Marcus, McFeely aren't the only guys who decide what's happening on screen, there are a lot more variables involved.

It also depends from what point of view are they speaking. Perhaps they are speaking from Cap's perspective. But Thanos was nowhere near one shot away from being put down. From his pov, it was just another annoying battle which lasted a minute (a single minute).

Though I'd say that Thanos was genuinely shocked by that sky-lightning bolt - like his arm, leg, and body movements look like he's dealing with electrocution, which makes sense considering what's hitting him

Yeah, as long as lightning continued to hit him. As soon as it stopped, he was like nothing happened. Lightning can slow him down, but can't do anything else.

The first lightning knocked him down, but he'd have been up instantly if Cap tried to follow up with anything except lightning (which is extremely fast, lightning strikes from sky to earth in microseconds)

And that's hardly the best that the power of Thor can do

The best of Thor has always been lightning.

In that case, does that reflect back on the ethos of the Russos? Because honestly, if that's something that must go, then I'm all for it.

I think they are entitled to their interpretation and we are entitled to our own. Anyways, what was the exact comment (or could you link a video if it's an interview?)

If you have seen interviews from them and Marcus/McFeely, you will notice how most of the time they use words like "we think/ i think" or "maybe" and "couldbe". Sometimes they do make clear and definitive statements which can be used as words of creators (but sometimes the directors and writers words contradict with each other). In any case, I put explicit on screen feats above word of creators who don't have total 100% control over the screen.

Their opinion is worth more than a random person but still an opinion.

I agree that Thanos doesn't look put down at all, but that's the key in almost, isn't?

No. Almost defeated implies he was close to defeat. Perhaps if Cap was wielding Stormbreaker when he took that swing Thanos dodged, I could maybe consider that Cap had a shot of taking Thanos out.

You know what I would consider "almost beat?" A few examples:

• TItan team almost got the gauntlet off Thanos
  • Tony almost died in Iron Man first act, in Iron Man 2 in race-track scene, in The Avengers during wormhole scene, in Iron Man 3 numerous times, in IW on earth against Cull, on titan, and in Endgame a bunch of times
  • Carol almost got the gauntlet off Thanos
  • Abomination almost beat the Hulk

etc.

I would not consider Batrock landing a few hits on Cap where each landed hit allowed him to land another hit because Cap got staggered as Cap got 0 damage.

However, when I rewatched that scene at 0.25x speed, I saw Thanos dodge it. I see Stormbreaker cleanly passing through air, uninterrupted in motion, and Thanos ducking his head at the same time. Independently, a blade that creates sparks on thick armor should do more to that thin helmet.

Watching it again at slow-speed, it seems very difficult to make out whether it was hit or dodge or a glancing blow. I think it could've been a glancing blow.

So I watched it frame-by-frame. It is definitely not a clean hit. However, it's still not clear whether it hit as a glancing blow or not, which is possible.

In either case, I don't think that damaging the helmet amounts to anything relevant.

Thor's lightning charged Mjolnir strikes are capable of things beyond even the sum of lightning strikes and Mjolnir strikes.

Some feats of each individually:

Raw Mjolnir strikes:

• in ten hits, broke the rainbow bridge, the very first hit shook the entire bridge including observatory (according to script). Pretty much Thor giving his 100% in non-lighting amped strikes
  • Hit pre-ragnarok Hulk in the cleanest strike possible - hulk literally ran into Mjolnir swing jaw first (Thor likely not giving his all), Hulk was highly dazed for about 5 seconds
  • Thor hits the glass of cage created to cintain the hulk, and shakes the helicarrier (according to script), but only cracks the glass. Thor was probably giving his all but the swing wasn't very clean. Moments later Thor files through the cage, although it is unclear whether he flew through the cracked glass or intact glass
  • Vision hit Ultron quite far away in AoU
  • Thor hits a clean swing on Surtur which looked quite high effort.

Lightning amped Mjolnir strikes

• Kills a leviathan by hitting it where Hulk stabbed it with a piece of its own armor. Pre Ragnarok Hulk did a better feat
  • The strike against Malekith, broke a lot of rubble
  • Sokovia strike, although it was mostly lightning and was charged for like 15 seconds.
  • Against Surtur's goons, although it was just lightning channelled through Mjolnir
  • Against Surtur. Surtur took 7 hits from Mjolnir, including 2 lightning amped Mjolnir to the head, one non-lightning mjolnir to head and 3 Mjolnir throws. Eventually, a huge swing from lightning Mjolnir took him down.

Lightning:

• A charged lightning, channelled through a huge skyscraper blew up 3 leviathans
  • Jotunheim bolt
  • Hela "biggest lightning bolt in history of lightning"
  • Hela "break bifrost" lightning

Except the sokovia strike, I put Ragnarok Hulk's surtur jump strike above all of them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5de3d0efdb1f7
deactivated-5de3d0efdb1f7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

he’s dead after every attack.

Rebake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deactivated-5de3d0efdb1f7: deactivated for a reason

rajjarsalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bump

nn5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Survives all of it if can heal (not to mention he can dodge all of these except maybe lighting shot which he can try to aim dodge). If not he would probably die.

Scipio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't buy the idea that Cap was on the verge of killing Thanos. Folks way weaker than him have taken as many hits from Mjolnir and carried on fighting. Malekith, for example.

The Russos are just wanking Cap as usual.

rajjarsalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is GOAT, IW Thor > IG Thanos

NameNotFound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He should be able to take all of these, but those last 2 will definitely injure him

NameNotFound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Baalhaddad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Baalhaddad

Only one i can see causing him any serious problem is the forest strike and that's only if you scale it upwards from thor's better feats years later(arena strike)

The lightning punch was taken by someone inferior to Thanos

The jotunheim bolt is no different than the one he tanked from Worthy Cap and is cleary a chain reacn and posting script statements when you can clearly see what happens on screen proves nothing

rajjarsalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By rajjarsalt

@baalhaddad said:

The jotunheim bolt is no different than the one he tanked from Worthy Cap and is cleary a chain reacn and posting script statements when you can clearly see what happens on screen proves nothing

Chain reaction debunk implies there was other sources of energy to promote the reaction but none such exist and there's no evidence proving their existence.

Visuals of ground shattering and giants getting tossed and instakilled prove the shockwave's existence as clearly stated in the script.

Let me guess, is the concrete/glass here shattering from chain reaction too?

No Caption Provided

Baalhaddad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Baalhaddad

@rajjarsalt: if a character punches the ground and makes a city block sized crack and then it continues to expand, then it's no longer that character's feat anymore only the initial destruction and that is literally what happens on jotunheim you'd have to be blind if you can't see that

And the frost giants were sent flying from the initial bolt and i never denied that, i'm talking about the way the ground continued to crack that's not a shockwave and anyone who watches the movie can tell especially if it's not an edited gif and as i said a statement from a script means nothing if it does'nt line up with what's shown

That malekeith strike is a poor comparison from you tbh but a good comparison on how a shockwave actually works i would'nt attack that feat because it's a solid feat but i don't give characters feats they did'nt do or add more than what they did so it's best you not waste my time or yours

Alphamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Alphamon

Thanos shrugs it all off

Avatar image for deactivated-60ee206c1e31a
deactivated-60ee206c1e31a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanos would tank all rounds except 3 due to it hit his head but it still won't KO him

Avatar image for deactivated-6052e8e44cb84
deactivated-6052e8e44cb84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see any of these things doing more than knock him off his feet. Thor can't truly hurt Thanos with anything that isn't a Stormbreaker strike.