• 85 results
Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@thevivas said:

@supremegeneration: I’m not saying “ignore what these characters can do and give Gamora a win over Corvus because Thanos liked her better”. I’m saying that it should give credence to her being able to beat him in-universe.

If so why doesn't it give credence to her being able to beat Cull Obsidian and Ebony Maw?

It seems like way too vague of a statement to say that it means she is supposed to be better than Corvus. In universe is only so good without clear statements and or implication. At the end of the day we don't know who would be written to win in universe. Do you really want to take the fact that she's Thanos's favorite(which is clearly not purely representative of combat ability or she'd be better than Maw and Cull)as proving she is superior to someone with better feats than her?

I would understand the statement of her being the deadliest woman in the galaxy a little more(Though I still disagree).But this doesn't work IMO.

Let's make a hypothetical. Lets say that I'm trying to train the Avengers. If Captain America is my favorite Avenger(Which he is)and I decided that I want him to be the leader of the Avengers(Which I would)does that suddenly mean he can beat Iron Man? No.

TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By TheVivas

@amcu: “If so why doesn't it give credence to her being able to beat Cull Obsidian and Ebony Maw?”

Feats for one thing, and quotes from the directors saying that the Black Order is as powerful or more than Gamora and Nebula. Seeing as how one of those is a large brute and the other had strong TK, it’d be foolish to say she can beat those two because of that one quote. Corvus and Proxima are different cases.

“It seems like way too vague of a statement to say that it means she is supposed to be better than Corvus”

For what seems like the 30th time, is that the only piece of evidence I’m using to say that she could beat him?

“In universe is only so good without clear statements and or implication. At the end of the day we don't know who would be written to win in universe.”

How much clearer could you get? He trained all of his children to be killers, he thought her out of all of them would rule in his place, and she’s been trained her entire life to be a living weapon. The only difference between her, a random Dora Milaje, and some fodder Wakanda soldiers (that somebody said have better feats than her) is her lack of feats. Which is a clear example of “so because we haven’t seen character A do this type of feat, that means they can’t”, which is an extremely limited way to view any of these characters.

“Do you really want to take the fact that she's Thanos's favorite(which is clearly not purely representative of combat ability or she'd be better than Maw and Cull)as proving she is superior to someone with better feats than her?”

Are you really going to ignore every over point and focus on just that one, which only makes sense if looked at WITH the other points I brought up? Jesus Christ, you people on this site are too brainwashed too look at “muh feats”.

The directors of the movie used Gamora and Nebula as a benchmark for how strong the Black Order are. They claimed that they’re all as powerful or more powerful than those two, which means that Gamora and Nebula are equal to the weakest members of the Black Order. Stay with me now, who are those weakest members? Corvus and Proxima.

Why would Gamora be Thanos’s favorite? Do you think like Buildhare does and want to hilariously assume it’s because of her stubborn attitude and determination, the same traits Nebula has shown yet was called a “waste of parts”? Thanos has been going around the universe for a millennia and conquering planets, and from those planets he takes orphans and trains them to be killers. Out of all of those he trained to be killers, Gamora is somehow his favorite and one he believed would take over for him.

The statement only works if you look at all evidence presented, not when you omit certain things and make assumptions to fill in the blanks. Why does her being Thanos’s favorite matter? Because we know she’s about equal to Corvus. Does her being his favorite mean she can beat Maw or Cull? No because from both feats and directorial intent the latter two are more powerful than her. Why would her being Thanos’ favorite even matter? Because he’s a mad Titan who’s extremely well trained, unbeatable in combat, and has turned numerous orphans into killers. If he takes a certain liking to one of those he trained over the others, you can’t simply ignore that “yeah but feats”.

“I would understand the statement of her being the deadliest woman in the galaxy a little more(Though I still disagree).But this doesn't work IMO.”

It does work. You, like everyone else in this thread, just can’t wrap your heads around a concept that isn’t “feats > anything”. That’s why this had to be explained so many times and why Buildhare was so triggered that he went and made a bait thread.

“Let's make a hypothetical. Lets say that I'm trying to train the Avengers. If Captain America is my favorite Avenger(Which he is)and I decided that I want him to be the leader of the Avengers(Which I would)does that suddenly mean he can beat Iron Man? No.”

Not only is this a bad hypothetical, it’s again ignoring my entire argument to focus on one part of it. And the part you’re focusing on makes no sense without looking at the whole.

1) Thanos didn’t decide Gamora was his favorite from the get-go. Only after he had been training her dodge realize he liked her more than Maw, Cull, Proxima, Corvus, and Nebula. He wasn’t her favorite from there beginning, like Steve is in your example.

2) Thanos didn’t want to train her to specifically take over for him, like your example is saying. He again realized after training her that he believed she would sit on his throne one day. Her training consisted of her becoming a killer and “he most dangerous woman I the galaxy”, not training to one day become a ruler.

3) The directors flat out tell us that Gamora and Nebula are not the most powerful of Thanos’ children, that some of them are more powerful than them. They specifically mention that some ARE as powerful as those two, however, which means being Thanos’ favorite and beating someone who you’re equal to isn’t out of the ballpark. Gamora and Nebula are practically equals, yet we know Gamora never once lost to her sister during their training growing up.

My claim was that because she is his favorite she can beat him, taking into consideration that she’s “as powerful” as Corvus and that hell by your own admission she could accomplish the same feats he did. Nowhere in this thread have I made the claim “she can beat any of his children because he likes her more than them”. Point out where I said those words verbatim. If you can’t, you better stop acting as if I did.

TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevd4wg: “My favorite child is not the child that can beat the shit out of my other children. Let's not pretend Thanos judged people only off fighting people”

Oh so you’ve also gone around the universe, conquering planets, taking orphans from those planets and turned them into killers? If not, why are you comparing yourself to Thanos?

And let’s not pretend like there’s more to my argument other than what you want to cherry pick out and whine about. Oh wait, there is.

TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supremegeneration: Nebula BECAME Thanos’ lease favorite child because she kept failing him and losing to Gamora during his training. Nebula tells us this in GotG Vol. 2. The only reason she’s entirely robotic is because Thanos kept trying to “improve” her (I’m using improve to describe why he took her flesh and bone body away and made her robotic) after she lost to Gamora.

Not seeing how that brings anything down. Nebula, Gamora, Proxima, and Corvus are all the same level. The only thing that keeps people from actually accepting this is the “feats > anything” limited mindset on this site. Because everybody knows that if a character hasn’t done something on-screen, that means they can’t do it. *sarcasm*

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thevivas:

Oh so you’ve also gone around the universe, conquering planets, taking orphans from those planets and turned them into killers? If not, why are you comparing yourself to Thanos?

Obviously Thanos didn't judge his children just off battle ability or Cull/Maw would be his favorite, Hell Maw even said he'd never failed Thanos. Thanos clearly cared for Gamora based off her sacrifice, it's more then just him thinking she's a great Warrior.

And let’s not pretend like there’s more to my argument other than what you want to cherry pick out and whine about. Oh wait, there is.

Honestly, the only other thing you've got going for you is the Russo's stating that the Black Order is equal or superior to Gamora, which isn't enough. I mean, even without the fact that Corvus was clearly more powerful then Gamora, he has a better weapon, which is a huge advantage. Directors aren't the end all be all about everything, they said Thanos's skin is unbreakable, obviously not true. Gamora and Nebula are not their creations, I see no reason why to base an entire argument off what the directors(who have way less opinion on Gamora/Nebula's power level then James Gunn) compared to what we were shown on screen.

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Amcu

@thevivas: I'm not trying to be rude. I just totally disagree with her being Thanos's favorite as indicative that she is superior to the likes of Corvus or Proxima. Being favorite could be that she has more determination and is more like Thanos in that way. It could mean she is smarter and is superior due to that. It's not as clean cut as she's better combatant than the others.

The Russo's statement about the BO being as or more powerful is fine. I believe that she is likely on the same general level as Proxima personally who I consider to be the weakest member of the BO. She's probably actually physically stronger than Proxima by feats. But I would back Proxima in a fight due to superior feats in other categories and the fact that we don't have any explicit statements that Gamora is the better combatant. Just that they're on the same level.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 anthp2000  Moderator

Not taking any sides or debating here, just putting forth an argument.

I'd say Gamora wins on account of being a more fluid and skilled combatant, with a weapon that can more than likely put Corvus down. I see it going similarly to how Glaive fighting Midnight would go.

Also, I wouldn't quickly dismiss Gamora physically, given her superiority to Nebula, who performed far better against Thanos than Cap did.

Avatar image for supremegeneration
SupremeGeneration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thevivas said:

@supremegeneration: Nebula BECAME Thanos’ lease favorite child because she kept failing him and losing to Gamora during his training. Nebula tells us this in GotG Vol. 2. The only reason she’s entirely robotic is because Thanos kept trying to “improve” her (I’m using improve to describe why he took her flesh and bone body away and made her robotic) after she lost to Gamora.

Not seeing how that brings anything down. Nebula, Gamora, Proxima, and Corvus are all the same level. The only thing that keeps people from actually accepting this is the “feats > anything” limited mindset on this site. Because everybody knows that if a character hasn’t done something on-screen, that means they can’t do it. *sarcasm*

I'm absolutely in no way dismissing in-universe logic and the like; I completely agree with scaling people based off of reasonable statements. However, in the same vein, I'll always put feats over anything. Again, I am open to and have used similar argument to what you're using, but feats are needed to get a more accurate level. We can argue these semantics with Gamora all day, but at the end of it we're only getting a rough level, not an accurate representation.

As for the Nebula bits, she's still the least favorite child. Though I do think that adds more credence to your argument - the fact that his least favorite is his least favorite because she kept losing in combat - we still have no level for Nebula either. Her only feats (since Nebula doesn't have credentials to my knowledge) are vs Gamora and vice versa.

nfactor1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thevivas: .....because it happened in the movie. It's a feasible way for Gamora to win. Not sure why you're making such a big deal over this.

TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nfactor1995: It happened because Corvus was distracted by Falcon’s attack. That wouldn’t happen in a 1v1 fight.

nfactor1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thevivas: *sigh*

Point is Gamora can win under the right circumstances or if the plot demands she does. It’s a reasonable conclusion based on how she’s portrayed and what her abilities are. Whether or not you believe them to be far fetched or unlikely or you question why I even bring it up doesn’t matter.

Corvus wins quite clearly IMO in a standard 1v1 fight. If you disagree, fine. If you agree, also fine.

I don’t know why you’re getting so defensive and frustrated over this battle and other battles involving the Black Order and Nebula/Gamora tbh.

TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nfactor1995: “Point is Gamora can win under the right circumstances or if the plot demands she does. It’s a reasonable conclusion based on how she’s portrayed and what her abilities are. Whether or not you believe them to be far fetched or unlikely or you question why I even bring it up doesn’t matter.”

I don’t disagree with any of that. I was questioning why you brought up Widow because she only did so well thanks to Falcon attacking in the beginning, something which would not happen or affect any 1v1 fight between Gamora and Corvus.

“Corvus wins quite clearly IMO in a standard 1v1 fight. If you disagree, fine. If you agree, also fine.”

That’s fine. We don’t everyone have think the same way.

“I don’t know why you’re getting so defensive and frustrated over this battle and other battles involving the Black Order and Nebula/Gamora tbh.”

I’m not frustrated at all lol. When I get “defensive” in other threads it’s because people lowball the Black Order by ignoring context that’s clear as day. Not saying you do personally (in case it came off that way), but I’m talking about other users.

nfactor1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thevivas: Okay, I can see where you’re coming from.

OT did you side with Corvus here?

TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thevivas: Okay, I can see where you’re coming from.

OT did you side with Corvus here?

No I sided with Gamora. Wouldn't mind if Corvus won, though. They both deserve more respect.

CaptainMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gamora was always Thanos favorite child, since the beginning. That would never change. I doubt she can take Corvus.

GraniteVision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Corvus

Stronger and has glaive which can oneshot her

depinhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

I could see Glaive winning. Close matchup.

CaptainMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Corvus was keeping up with Captain and Vision.

As I said before, Gamora was a favorite of Thanos, long before her training.

Avatar image for deactivated-60957cbcbe0f1
deactivated-60957cbcbe0f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is actually a tough match up to decide.

I can’t decide. I want to say Corvus but Gamora can lift multiple tons and has a pretty good weapon herself, although not as good as Corvus’s.

Do you guys see Cap putting up a fight against Gamora?

Avatar image for myleftbuttcheeksolos
Myleftbuttcheeksolos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Then and now, still gamora

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gamora probably wins in universe but Corvus has better feats.

MajinPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5c830d4e319e6
deactivated-5c830d4e319e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see Gamora beating Cap, let alone Corvus.

Spiders13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gamora ends up headless.

Avatar image for deactivated-6081fb94189dc
deactivated-6081fb94189dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gamora wins due to reputation.

Avatar image for deactivated-610bd31442771
deactivated-610bd31442771

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say Corvus

Corvus' weapon has more range and can cut through virtually anything. If ever Gamora tries to parry, she's dead.

nn5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gamora

GhostCap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Corvus easy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d71a0fc9c765
deactivated-5d71a0fc9c765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Corvus beats her with little issue.

Formally_Darth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I completely agree with TheVivas. The Russo's stated that members of the Black Order are as powerful as Gamora and Nebula. We have to infer it's referring to Corvus and Proxima, as Maw and Cull are highly implausible. That solidly places them on the same level, so nobody is stomping anyone. Furthermore, you have her reputation as "the deadliest woman in the galaxy", which irrefutably comes from her combative prowess. Finally, there's the fact that she's Thanos' favorite and prized pupil, which is the result of her personality, intelligence, and combative prowess. It's not simply one of these. Thanos believed it would be her that sat on his throne one day, which would mean he she has to be intelligent and skilled enough to do-so. She's also never failed Thanos, just like Maw. Moreover, she has better strength, skill, and speed feats than Corvus. Both Gamora and Nebula are labeled as master assassins, and Nebula has landed several hits on--and staggered--Thanos in combat. Thanos even admitted Nebula came close to killing him when she snuck onto his ship. Gamora has defeated Nebula in every fight they've ever had. I say Gamora defeats Corvus solidly, though it's no easy victory. Corvus is also a master assassin and has a weapon that can impale Vision and deflect his laser.

Avatar image for greysentinel365
Greysentinel365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Corvus is already on her level and has better feats.

WhyZoSerious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Corvus. MCU Gamora is better character, not focused too much on feats.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fd9371ae7062
deactivated-5fd9371ae7062

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gamora in a great fight

Scarlet_Wiccan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers