Maximus.

Come at me.

VashtaNerada88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

eh...winner is going to be hurtin, Big Time! but honestly nobody has undergone more discipline than Leonides and while Spartans are trained to act as a signal unit doesn't mean their less dangerous by themselves. I say Leonides because of sheer ferocity, I see him not allowing Maximus to win even if he gets impaled; King Leo would probably use his last breath to hack away at Maximus while he has him close

Draw or King Leonides

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rogueshadow  Moderator

Maximus, high difficulty.

Avatar image for deactivated-63665f9fbd262
deactivated-63665f9fbd262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maximus easy because of superior weaponry

VashtaNerada88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dewin50:

Armor, yes. but Leo has a Sword, Pike(long spear)and a shield that was so good the roman army stole the design

OrdinaryAlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dewin50 said:

Maximus easy because of superior weaponry

I agree that Maximus wins, but he def doesn't have superior weaponry, IMO.

Milliardo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Milliardo
No Caption Provided

Linark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Linark

@vashtanerada88: Leonidas is from a movie that dwells in fantasy and looks for epicity. He fights stronger enemies, has better feats and survives in more hostile battles.

Maximo tries to be more realistic. He may defeat gladiators, but he doesnt fight vampiric immortals, giants and hordes of enemies.

Leonidas takes this if we go movie wise. Gear helps, but Maximo wore Centurion gear and not the full Lorica Segmentata legionaires used. Centurions and high ranking officer were normally behind the phalanx, therefore their gear used to be a bit lighter as they needed to move and command the lines. Theres some moments during the movie that he wears full lorica, so it depends on what "standard" means for the OP. Still, theres not enough gear difference to give Maximo an edge over a fantasy character. Remember 300 Leonidas wore his shield like if it was made of tissue, one shotted most enemies and was so good with the javelin that he managed to hit Jerjes just were he wanted while being showered with arrows. Leonidas in 300 is a fantasy characters, Maximus in gladiator is a realistic character. That should settle the fight as theres not enough gear difference to give Maximo enough lead.

Romans Scutum didnt came from the Spartan shield, basically cause thats the greek shield you are talking about. It was used in most parts of greece and thats what influenced romans on their early shields. And still, the early Scutum was oval, not rounded. The imperial Scutum design has nothing to do with the Greek round shield, its square shapped, and actually a lot better for formations, although more expensive. Also, greek werent the only ones using round shields in their age.

@dewin50 As i said before, Maximo's standard gear isnt enough to compensate the fact that leonida's is a fantasy epic character that fought and won against harder odds.

If this was a "real" fully geared Leonidas (Royal Spartan King/General) vs a fully geared Roman lets say Praetorian Praefect (high ranking General from the elite Praetoria troops), the match would go 7/10 for the Roman general. Not only he has better gear, but he also ahs better training. Theres a general misunderstanding that spartans warrior were the best trained. Yes, they were the best trained GREEK warriors, but Rome excelled for many reasons: Military tactics, logistics and warfare theory. Romans basically grabbed what the Greeks had done in military aspects and improved it in all levels. Training included. Roman armies are full profesional armies. Even Auxiliaries were profesionals.

VashtaNerada88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@linark:

Good point...so long as we agree that of the movie versions, Leo wins. Rome did prefect many of what they took from the Greeks, but some things cant be perfected, only emulated. And even hundreds of years after Leonidas, Rome (during the gladiators time) was still using their training methods, battle tactics, siege warfare etc. They obviously would have had better gear but also heavier and more restricting. And Spartans were raised as professional warriors from boyhood(7-8 yrs. old), 9 times out of 10 when they land a blow its a kill.

Silverrings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Silverrings

It's hard to say for sure, due to how differently the two films are made, but Maximus seemed to be more skilled and tactically aware while Leonidas seemed more physically capable. In terms of gear, Max's armour gives him a pretty serious advantage, but Leo has the better shield, assuming Max even gets one here. Their swords are probably quite similar, definitely in terms of size. This is pretty close, but i'm thinking Max wins with a lot of difficulty.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

King Leonidas.

The problem with Gladiator (as a film) is that they wanted to be realistic in terms of choreography. This actually makes Maximus pale in comparison in regards to combat fluidity. Leonidas was skilled as all hell with his spear and shield combination too.

I think those points alone solidify Leonidas' win.

@leo-343 said:

It's funny, Leonidas mowed through fodder but struggled against a note worthy opponent (that ogre thing) and almost died.

Its hard for anyone to kill a brute. Hector vs. Ajax for instance. Hector struggled like all hell despite being more fluid and skilled in combat.

Avatar image for helios_sunstrider
Helios_Sunstrider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maximus wedgies Leoniturd!

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Wolfrazer  Online

@monsterstomp: There is kinda a difference between Ajax and the Immortal though. Ajax was shown being stronger and was more than just a brute, or...well he was a brute but he used his hammer effectively and wasn't that slow.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leo-343 said:

@monsterstomp: Still, the moment he isn't against fodder he almost die.

You're right. Struggling to fight a superhuman isn't impressive at all.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monsterstomp: There is kinda a difference between Ajax and the Immortal though. Ajax was shown being stronger and was more than just a brute, or...well he was a brute but he used his hammer effectively and wasn't that slow.

Uber-immortal was just as strong as Ajax, if not stronger. Shown when he could send full grown men flying single handed. Regardless, it was only an example.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Wolfrazer  Online

@monsterstomp: Eh not sure about stronger, he was able to knock over horses and the like. Although yeah, I did forget that bit.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leo-343 said:

@monsterstomp: It is... I'm just saying his skill can't be judged that accurately, he mows through fodder with ease then struggles against some ogre. Where do u place him? That's why I feel he's overrated.

He mowed through Persian slaves (who aren't impressive fodder). Then he mows through immortals (who actually had the capability to kill Spartans). Then he struggles with a superhuman uber-immortal who can shrug off sword blows and throw grown men around like nothing, and now he's unimpressive? Considering that Maximus isn't a superhuman, I find this argument rather pointless.

There is no gladiator that Maximus didn't struggle against and you're picking on Leonidas because he struggled against a loosely established superhuman?

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Wolfrazer  Online

@monsterstomp: Actully Maximus did struggle with the previous Gladiator champion, Tigris and he also had not been a Gladiator for some odd years.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leo-343 said:

@monsterstomp: I'm not picking on Leonidas for anything, name one established skilled person he fought?

He hasn't. No one has really been competent enough to challenge him.

I'm inclined to disagree with the majority when it comes to the logic: He's beaten a skilled fighter, so regardless of all advantages that the opponent possesses, fighter A wins.

Has Maximus beaten an established fighter?

@monsterstomp: Actully Maximus did struggle with the previous Gladiator champion.

Just as hearsay as the Immortals being the greatest army in all of Persia.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

UFT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

you got it right when you said leonidas is basically in a movie trying for style and epicness, not realism. so yeah he has the more superhuman feats

Reno117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A bloodlusted Leonidas should be feared.

pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By pipxeroth

Never watched Gladiator, but from what I've seen I'd say Leonidas. He had bigger muscles :P

depinhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

Avatar image for deactivated-5dace575ce059
deactivated-5dace575ce059

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Draw, both would realize how manly they are, and then they'd join forces together to be brothers forever. That is the only right answer.