Round 7: The Clone Wars Season 5 Anakin

No Caption Provided

Round 8: The Clone Wars Season 6 Anakin

No Caption Provided

Round 9: Revenge of the Sith/TCW Season 7 Anakin

No Caption Provided

Round 10: Knightfall Vader

No Caption Provided

As the title suggests, which version of Anakin in Canon is the most powerful, which prime SoD (or whenever his prime is for you) Maul would be able to kill on a regular basis? Neutral ground. Canon versions. All-Out fight.

Who wins and why?

SonOfDarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By SonOfDarkness

Maul would obviously beat young Ani and AOTC Ani.

Not sure about the different TCW seasons Anakin.

Loses to rots Anakin and knightfall Vader.

Bayman007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stops at R7.

alextheboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At least makes it to round 5. From that point he can stop any point onwards, but at least by Round 9/ROTS.

Avatar image for deactivated-61215780523f9
deactivated-61215780523f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Season 6 Anakin could at least hold his ground against Maul.

ROTS Anakin should be above him at that stage, KFV should be well above him.

Ahsoka saying ''You're lucky Anakin didn't show up'' felt like the writers spoon feeding us the outcome of that fight.

Even if Maul wasn't entirely himself that day.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#9 frozen  Moderator

Ahsoka saying ''You're lucky Anakin didn't show up'' felt like the writers spoon feeding us the outcome of that fight.

I still don't understand why the writers didn't just give us Maul vs Dooku or Maul vs Anakin. Not only would it have made logical sense story wise, but it would settle so many debates lol.

I'd rather watch Maul v Dooku or Maul v Anakin than see Anakin and Obi Wan fight Dooku a dozen times.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:
@kirkseven said:

I still don't understand why the writers didn't just give us Maul vs Dooku or Maul vs Anakin. Not only would it have made logical sense story wise, but it would settle so many debates lol.

I'd rather watch Maul v Dooku or Maul v Anakin than see Anakin and Obi Wan fight Dooku a dozen times.

Disney not wanting to shit on fans of either.

They could get away with Anakin beating both pawns though.

I would have appreciated something like a ''that was for Qui Gon'' moment if Dooku killed Maul in a duel.

Completing the cycle that Obi Wan ended instead.

Lord_Tenebrous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rebels Maul:

1. Beats pre-AOTC Anakin, easily
  2. Loses to Episode II Anakin, tough fight
  3. Beats season 1-2 Anakin, easily to decisively
  4. Loses to season 3-6 Anakin, tough to solid fights
  5. Loses to Episode III Anakin, quite badly
  6. Loses to Episode III Vader, quite badly

SOD Maul:

2. Either way with Episode II Anakin, leaning Anakin

CW Maul(velociraptor legs):

2. Beats Episode II Anakin, narrow fight

CW Mandalore Maul(Season 5 & 7):

2. Beats Episode II Anakin, tough fight
  4. Either way with 21 bby season 3 Anakin, leaning Maul
  5. Loses to 20 bby season 3 Anakin, narrow fight
  6. Loses to season 4-6 Anakin, tough fights
  7. Loses to Episode III Anakin, quite badly
  8. Loses to Episode III Vader, quite badly

TPM Maul:

2. Beats Episode II Anakin, easily
  3. Beats season 1-6 Anakin, easily
  4. Beats Episode III Anakin, narrow fight
  5. Either way with Episode III Vader, leaning Maul
frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 frozen  Moderator

TCW Maul > Rebels Maul > TPM Maul > TCW S4 Maul.

deathoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Possibly stops at 7 or 8 hard stops at 9 IMO.

alextheboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sonofdarkness: @alextheboss: Reasoning? As the OP requested.

He obviously beats teenage Anakin. Ep2 Ankain doesn't have any Maul level feats. S1 CW Anakin had trouble with Ventress and I think he might have lost to her in the clone wars movie. S3-5 Anakin was close to Dooku level, similar to Maul, so it could go either way. ROTS Anakin beat Dooku who is above Maul, and Ahsoka said Anakin>Maul.

Avatar image for jedisympathiz3r
JediSympathiz3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maul beats every version of Anakin up to Season 6. Season 6 Anakin is close to Dooku who I think is above Maul though Maul can still take some rounds due to superior power.

Avatar image for thebluedragon20
thebluedragon20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By thebluedragon20

Stops at R7. Could stop at R4, but I doubt it. Anakin by season 5 was skilled enough to fight multiple magnagaurds and Dooku, even beginning to overpower Dooku at this point. His force power is not lacking (though his skill could use work) and I would say at this point he is a better dualist, as well as physically stronger and slightly faster.

Edit: Meant R6, not 4. Accidentally meant to put season 4

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 frozen  Moderator

Stops at R7. Could stop at R4, but I doubt it. Anakin by season 5 was skilled enough to fight multiple magnagaurds and Dooku, even beginning to overpower Dooku at this point. His force power is not lacking (though his skill could use work) and I would say at this point he is a better dualist, as well as physically stronger and slightly faster.

Nah definitely not round 2. If he's gonna stop its more likely round 9 or 10.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 frozen  Moderator

@kirkseven: I can understand KFV, but reasoning for ROTS Anakin being above Maul?

There's still canon statements of ROTS Anakin being one of the most powerful Jedi ever.

No Caption Provided

@frozen:

Not only would it have made logical sense story wise,

Agreed.

Maul vs Dooku, both of Sidious' pawns.

Maul vs Anakin, the killer of Qui-Gon vs the son of Qui-Gon.

Yeah it would have been great. Really strange they didn't do this.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@w4nkdestroyer said:

@frozen:

There's still canon statements of ROTS Anakin being one of the most powerful Jedi ever.

Even Kit Fisto's one of the most powerful Jedi ever, you need more hype than that.

Is he cited as that? I thought he would have skill accolades not power. The book I took it from only cited him and Yoda as such.

Anyway Anakin still has the Dooku showing, but that could be attributed to Zonakin moreso in canon.

Aristeaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Aristeaus  Online

TPM Maul:

2. Beats Episode II Anakin, easily
  3. Beats season 1-6 Anakin, easily
  4. Beats Episode III Anakin, narrow fight
  5. Either way with Episode III Vader, leaning Maul

Oh god not with this TPM Maul = Prime again. Been debunked guy.

TPM Maul had trouble with Padawans. Two different times. He is absolutely, and unequivocally not beating E3 Anakin, much less TCW Anakin.

JediSympathiz3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By JediSympathiz3r

@w4nkdestroyer: I have Obi-wan and Maul as relative saber wise since Obi-wan matched him in season 5 before Gallia’s death and I don’t think either of them have a significantly better growth rate than the other. Obi-wan admitted inferiority to Anakin in season 6 who Dooku stalemates.

Dooku was also beating TCW S3 Savage and Ventress pretty handily which should be superior to Maul’s spar with Savage in S5.

Avatar image for deactivated-644c7202b7524
deactivated-644c7202b7524

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maul in his prime Stops at R7 or R8.

alextheboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w4nkdestroyer:

That's Zonakin, who would be closer to KFV than base ROTS Anakin.

Zonakin was just Anakin giving into his anger to beat Dooku. If Maul pushes Anakin, there is a high chance he will tap into that power. Base wise he is still even with Dooku, as shown in Dark Disciple.

Still I'm interested in why you have Dooku above Maul.

Because he has better feats. He has fought Kenobi and Anakin at the same time and did better against Yoda than Maul did against Sidious. He also has force lightning, which Maul has never been shown to do.

The Maul she was fighting.

Which was Maul near the peak of his power.

The_Swaggot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KF Vader is the most powerful version of Anakin, but Late TCW/ROTS Anakin would defeat Maul quite comfortably.

JediSympathiz3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w4nkdestroyer:

Maul was pushing back Obi-Wan the entire time before Gallia's death. Keep in mind, this Maul's mobility is also hindered by the spider legs per Filoni himself:

IGN: With Maul, I felt it was a bit like you approached Boba Fett. Maul got rebuilt, he got back his sanity and focus – but he still wasn't quite Phantom Menace Maul, flipping all over the place – and he didn't have a double-sided lightsaber. Was that something else where you thought, "He can't just instantly be that badass again"?

Filoni: Definitely. In my opinion, he did really well for being out of the business for about ten years. To come back in and take down Obi-Wan, leaping around on velociraptor legs, he did pretty good. It's an interesting dilemma having him on these weird legs, because he can't instantly fight in the style that you remember Maul fighting in. So Sam really had to bring it through voice and through expression of animation in the face. But there's some twists coming up for Maul, that's for sure. He's far more cunning and well-trained in how to be a Sith than people think. He's not just all about being an enforcer. He got a good education from his master, and we're going to put that into effect next season for sure.

This is referring to TCW S4 Maul, TCW S5 Maul was stated to be far more powerful by Savage and had time to gain accustom to his new legs. Also, Kenobi is a defensive fighter, so getting pushed back doesn’t show Maul having any significant dueling superiority.

Maul without the spider legs would have been doing even better. Also keep in mind, Kenobi per the ROTS novel was able to stalemate Dooku in sabers, and Dooku had to resort to abusing the force to get him out of the equation.

Well this was a much better Kenobi and don’t know if the PT novelizations have been officially confirmed to canon yet.

One has Sidious+ potential, the other doesn't. Though I shall grant you that Obi-Wan is also a prodigy.

Maul was in coma in between S5 E1 and S5 E14, was busy with taking over Mandalore in between S5 E14 and S5 E16, and was in captivity from the end of S5 E16 to the beginning of SOD so I think Kenobi having much more time for training and fighting would balance out Maul’s superior growth rate.

Quote for that?

Well it’s not stated but it is heavily implied:

Loading Video...

Start at 2:43

I disagree personally. Maul stomping Savage, who is capable of fighting Plo Koon evenly and beating Gallia, is definitely more impressive than Dooku beating a vastly inferior Savage and pre-prime Ventress.

The Plo Koon feat is legends. Maul stomped him in a spar and spars aren’t always reliable for scaling(Leia vs Luke in the TROS flashback for example). Ventress is barely(if at all) pre-prime so it’s not really worth pointing out. TCW S3 Ventress + TCW S3 Savage should be on the level of TCW S5 Savage since Ventress is already on TCW S5 Savage’s level.

alextheboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w4nkdestroyer:

A holding back, pre-prime Yoda. Not really comparable.

Evidence Yoda was pre prime? Pretty sure there are statements saying high republic Yoda is prime, so ep2 would be post prime, and ep 3 would be even more post prime, though by a negligible degree.

Better yet, how about Prime Maul scaling above Rebels Maul who scales above Rebels Ahsoka

There is actually no canon proof Rebels Maul is weaker than he was in TCW. Just outside statements from people who work on SW making implications he wasn't in his physical prime. Force wise Rebels Maul seemed just as good as ever.

He is credited with the ability though, he simply prefers not too:

I believe that comic was not carried over into canon.

Where is that second statement from?

Unless you have proof Maul was at the peak of his power, I'll go with IU confirmation that Maul was going crazy for weeks, thanks.

Consumed by a sense of dread does not equal going crazy... and even if it did (it doesn't), there is no proof going crazy would make him weaker.

JediSympathiz3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w4nkdestroyer:

I've went into detail on why Kenobi is more of a hindrance to Anakin against the Count than he is a benefit:

Anakin & Obi-Wan are more formidable as a team.

There's even lines in the movies that supports this idea.

''Anakin, I can't take DOOKU alone. I need you. If we catch him we can end this war right now. We have a job to do.''

- AOTC

''This time we'll take him together''

- ROTS

They are very much better as a team as far as the movies are concerned.

alextheboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w4nkdestroyer:

Not only was he old, but he was "out of practice", meaning his skill with the force and dueling had stagnated, meaning he had become less powerful.

Maul was always looking for more power, so I doubt he would be out of practice force wise, just saber battle wise. He has some of his best force feats in Rebels.

I believe it's Lucas talking about Maul compared to Dooku in AOTC.

Interesting, do you have a source for that? And if Maul really could use force lightning, why wouldn't he use it when he had to fight all of those clones unarmed in season 7 of TCW? I agree it makes sense for Maul to know how to do force lightning, considering even jedi Dooku and Rey were able to use it by accident, but it just doesn't make sense he would never use it, especially while he was unarmed. It just kind of seems like the writers are afraid to give him the power since he never used it in the movies. I could see him using it if they ever bring him back in live action, for example if they do a crimson son TV show, but it seems like they aren't going to have him use it in the cartoons from some reason.

Yoda in the beginning of the Senate fight,

What was wrong with Yoda?

It's a common theme that being in a bad mindset makes you less combatively effective.

Yes, and I don't think Maul was fighting to the best of his ability, but he really wasn't weaker than normal. He just wasn't as focused or as driven as he could have been.

Keep in mind, Maul had been dreadful for weeks. Anakin had only been compromised for a couple days, Yoda for a couple hours. So his hindrance would be much larger than that of Anakin's or Yoda's, which makes sense:

Anakin went being a good guy to murdering younglings and strangling his own wife. You can't compare that mental state to just being afraid for a few weeks. And I don't think Yoda was hindered much at all. I have never seen any evidence of it.

He went from easily outdueling Grievous in SoD, to being decently superior to Ahsoka, who got trounced by an inferior Grievous than the one Maul easily bested.

Maul never easily outdueled Grievous, and Grievous never trounced Ahsoka. Grievous and Maul had a few panels of fighting with no clear victor, and then Maul force pushed him out of the battle. I know starwars.com says he easily won, but iirc it showed a picture of the force push, and doesn't specify dueling. And a weaker Ahsoka held her own against Grievous, though she was clearly inferior. Imo s7 Ahsoka could arguably beat Grievous.