Magic vs Super Sicence

#1 Posted by Kid weather (591 posts) - - Show Bio

What is better and which would win?
The reason I made this is because some say that in the future science could produce things that seem like magic?

#2 Edited by Kid weather (591 posts) - - Show Bio

Lets say Reed Richards vs Doctor Doom who is restricted to magic only and lets say they are both in the real physical world for there second fight.
Reed has access to any tech he can think of and  Doom well use magic aka Dark arts.

#3 Posted by Roddy010 (6316 posts) - - Show Bio

Magic trumps Science...

#4 Posted by Kid weather (591 posts) - - Show Bio

all the time?May be I;m just influenced by my ignoramus cousin and current family members to much.Was starting to get silly ideas that science was better than magic if we let it grow for a couple billion or so year.

#5 Edited by Son Of Storm (11603 posts) - - Show Bio
Magic is science on some level. But ignoring that......... Magic.
#6 Posted by Kid weather (591 posts) - - Show Bio
@Son Of Storm said:
How? Is not the point of magic to be inherently different from the laws of physics and science slash man?
#7 Posted by Son Of Storm (11603 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kid weather said:
@Son Of Storm said:
How? Is not the point of magic to be inherently different from the laws of physics and science slash man?
My mind could be poisoned by some books/shows. But mostly magic just "converts"(bad word) what we call science into something bigger. Now granted not every magical thing can be explained..Or is that because we haven't found it in science yet?
#8 Edited by Kid weather (591 posts) - - Show Bio

Or it just dose not exists.In all honesty though I would like if magic where some how real to be in a place were science no matter from what species or what form  science takes  out there,It should be beyond sentient  comprehension if it is you no strange/fate level stuff etc..etc.No relation to science at all baby.Or else it becomes something beings like us well use to have an edge over others which would be bad if you look at how we basically f-up the earth with pollution/species extinction etc.

#9 Posted by tron_bonne (2512 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kid weather said:
@Son Of Storm said:
Science is a study 
Magic is a concept that surpasses the comprehension level of man therefore it can be studied but never comprehended. Characters like Dr Strange really doesn't comprehend magic, but they study the arts "scientifically" by using their studies to invoke the powers of magic to them by the powers of their comprehension. Basically, I call forth your power greater consciousness for I am too weak. Help me defeat my foe with the power you lend me.
#10 Posted by Kid weather (591 posts) - - Show Bio

So would super science best magic though ?

#11 Edited by tron_bonne (2512 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kid weather: No, because science is a study. Magic is the powers of imagination without much using combo structures of logic to do something or make something happen.

For example: Magic Reality Warping vs Cosmic Reality Warping 

Magic reality warping is wishing or imagining (through your comprehension level) and it being granted at an instant. (Genie for example) 
Cosmic Reality Warping is using your psionic mental powers (in a logic step by step structure under the laws of Physics) to adapt mind over matter. Unlike just plainly using your imagination, you need to know the structure of reality meaning your comprehension needs to be equal to reality or that object. For example: Your mind needs to sense sub-atomic particles and reshape them. Molecule Man is one such example. It takes more effort.
#12 Posted by Kid weather (591 posts) - - Show Bio
@tron_bonne said:
@Kid weather: No, because science is a study. Magic is the powers of imagination without much using combo structures of logic to do something or make something happen. For example: Magic Reality Warping vs Cosmic Reality Warping  Magic reality warping is wishing or imagining (through your comprehension level) and it being granted at an instant. (Genie for example) Cosmic Reality Warping is using your psionic mental powers (in a logic step by step structure under the laws of Physics) to adapt mind over matter. Unlike just plainly using your imagination, you need to know the structure of reality meaning your comprehension needs to be equal to reality or that object. For example: Your mind needs to sense sub-atomic particles and reshape them. Molecule Man is one such example. It takes more effort.
Thanks for the thought out info. I think I'll follow you now.
Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
#13 Edited by PhoenixoftheTides (4701 posts) - - Show Bio

I think magic would win since it takes less energy to create an effect which might have required vast resources and knowledge for super science to duplicate. For example, to travel through time via superscience would require building a time machine or some form of time manipulation device. With magic, the will would lead to the result, so a magical being could shrug and go backwards or forwards in time. As Tron Bonne pointed out, magic is connected to the imagination and your ability to intuitively understand what you are doing, whereas super science is connected to knowledge, resources and knowledge.   

BTW I should be amazed that someone would pick the name of this obscure Mega Man/Rockman character, but nothing surprises me, anymore, thanks to the 'Vine.

#14 Posted by Nefarious (35707 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably, magic.

#15 Posted by Kid weather (591 posts) - - Show Bio

Jus@PhoenixoftheTides said:

I think magic would win since it takes less energy to create an effect which might have required vast resources and knowledge for super science to duplicate. For example, to travel through time via superscience would require building a time machine or some form of time manipulation device. With magic, the will would lead to the result, so a magical being could shrug and go backwards or forwards in time. As Kid Weather pointed out, magic is connected to the imagination and your ability to intuitively understand what you are doing, whereas super science is connected to knowledge, resources and knowledge.  
Just wanted to say that tron_Bonne said it.
Anyways what would happen if a time machine or what ever was already at the super scientist behest
Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
#16 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (4701 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kid weather: Corrected. Obviously, this heavily depends on the magical technique used or the particulars of the machine, but I would still give the edge to magic. Most machines require energy to operate, whereas magic operates off of the whim of the caster. That is an advantage no super science can ever really compete with.
#17 Posted by Kid weather (591 posts) - - Show Bio

Even so tho Reed has bested Doom for years and well even tho it is pis..that dose sought of say something right.

#18 Posted by andre54 (341 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kid weather said:
Even so tho Reed has bested Doom for years and well even tho it is pis..that dose sought of say something right.
eh, i don't really think it says anything. magic is always going to be better than science... in this century at least. magic is always going to have science bested in one thing though, and that's limits. magic isn't limited to the laws of physics, and has infinite potential unlike science. science will always be limited by universal laws and our greatest extent of intelligence.
#19 Posted by Kid weather (591 posts) - - Show Bio

I Understand. Thanks for the comment

#20 Posted by Grand Ninja (2606 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kid weather said:
Doom's pride forbids using magic on Reed, because Reed to him, Is Doom's rival in the Science Field. Doom will never use magic on Reed, but only to protect him. Dr. Doom however will use magic on Dr. Strange, but he will never use science on Dr. Strange because to Doom, Strange is Doom's rival on the Magic Field.
#21 Posted by karrob (4305 posts) - - Show Bio

Magic

#22 Posted by HolySerpent (13762 posts) - - Show Bio
@karrob said:
Magic
#23 Posted by shadow death (658 posts) - - Show Bio

magick

#24 Posted by BatmanandRobin (84 posts) - - Show Bio

They're the same fucking thing. For example Rick Sanchez vs Discord. Rick wins because the dude transcends discords reality warping with pure advancement and abstract knowledge of his scientific breakthroughs. Also Doctor who.