Avatar image for deactivated-5aad0467ddfcf
#1 Posted by deactivated-5aad0467ddfcf (965 posts) - - Show Bio

book versions

all out one on one duel

#2 Posted by RabumAlal (5192 posts) - - Show Bio

Malfoy

#3 Posted by shroudofsorrow (6002 posts) - - Show Bio

Malfoy

Really? Huh. I'd have figured Dolohov based on overall showings.

#4 Edited by SocaJunkie (8673 posts) - - Show Bio

Dolohov handily, far and away better feats.

#5 Posted by shroudofsorrow (6002 posts) - - Show Bio

That's what I thought myself. In general, I consider Dolohov second only to Bellatrix and Voldemort as far as Death Eaters go (though I might argue Snape is in his range).

#6 Posted by SocaJunkie (8673 posts) - - Show Bio

@shroudofsorrow: We’d have to use in universe standings for Snape since he has no feats on Bellatrix or Dolohov’s level.

#7 Posted by shroudofsorrow (6002 posts) - - Show Bio

@shroudofsorrow: We’d have to use in universe standings for Snape since he has no feats on Bellatrix or Dolohov’s level.

What about easily beating a bloodlusted Sixth-Year Harry? I would think that would be comparable to doing well against a non-bloodlusted Harry that had backup.

#8 Posted by SocaJunkie (8673 posts) - - Show Bio

@shroudofsorrow: That doesn’t compare to stomping Moody and winning in a three v one duel.

#9 Posted by SoImMe (310 posts) - - Show Bio

Dolohov mops the floor with Malfoy.

#10 Posted by shroudofsorrow (6002 posts) - - Show Bio

@shroudofsorrow: That doesn’t compare to stomping Moody and winning in a three v one duel.

Fair enough.

I think I'd rank the top Death Eaters like so:

1. Voldemort (duh)

2. Bellatrix Lestrange

3. Antonin Dolohov

4. Severus Snape

5. Lucius Malfoy

#11 Posted by SocaJunkie (8673 posts) - - Show Bio

@socajunkie said:

Fair enough.

I think I'd rank the top Death Eaters like so:

1. Voldemort (duh)

2. Bellatrix Lestrange

3. Antonin Dolohov

4. Severus Snape

5. Lucius Malfoy

Yea same.

#12 Posted by dark-sith123 (5033 posts) - - Show Bio

Dolohov.

#13 Posted by geekryan (4789 posts) - - Show Bio

#14 Posted by foxerdes (10260 posts) - - Show Bio

Dolohov. There is not a single way to prove Lucious can take it.

#15 Posted by DarthFallax (1638 posts) - - Show Bio

Dolohov pretty easily. His feat against Moody is better than anything Lucius has. Didn't Dolohov also defeated Remus?

#16 Posted by dark-sith123 (5033 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by decaf_wizard (17021 posts) - - Show Bio

Dolohov basically stomps. He would likely be the second strongest Death Eater

#18 Posted by SocaJunkie (8673 posts) - - Show Bio

Dolohov basically stomps. He would likely be the second strongest Death Eater

Oh he definitely is, feats-wise he's on par with Bellatrix though she's portrayed as the best Death Eater story-wise.

#19 Edited by PenguinLover (994 posts) - - Show Bio

Malfoy stands absolutely no chance. Dolohov wins 10/10, and probably even stomps. There are only about 10 people in the whole of Harry Potter who could possibly beat Dolohov, and only about 5 (maybe 6) of them definitely do so. Malfoy is not one of them, and he has no substantial feats to suggest he doesn't just get avada kedavra'ed after a few seconds.

#20 Posted by DarthFallax (1638 posts) - - Show Bio

@penguinlover: Which people would you consider to be above Dolohov? The Big Three, Delphini, Bellatrix and Filius are the ones that I'd certainly rank above him, but Flitwicks win could very well been a minority win. Amelia, Snape and McGonagall all seem like canidates to be put around Dolohov's level, but they lqck feats. Kingsley, Sirius, Prime! Remus and possibly Slughorn & Molly are all people that rival Dolohov imo, but I'd say he'd win a majority against all of them.

@shroudofsorrow: Yaxley could be #5 as well. IIRC he did well against Flitwick, which is probably better than anything Malfoy did.

@dark-sith123:I just wasn't able to recall if it was a fair fight. Seems like it, though.

#21 Posted by dark-sith123 (5033 posts) - - Show Bio

@darthfallax:

They say in the book he was last seen dueling Dolohov so it probably was a decent fight.

Avatar image for war_of_light_2814
#22 Posted by war of light_2814 (2760 posts) - - Show Bio

Dolohov has the best feat among the death eaters after Bellatrix.

#23 Posted by PenguinLover (994 posts) - - Show Bio

@darthfallax: The Big Three of course, then Bellatrix and (as much as I hate to acknowledge it) Delphini from The Cursed Child. I would probably give the likes of Flitwick and Mcgonagall the edge over Dolohov, but I could see him pulling a win against either of them. The other people you listed (Kingsley, Snape, Sirius, Remus, etc) just haven't impressed me enough for them to have a clear edge against Dolohov. I'd say Kingsley, Sirius and Snape (due to his near parity with Mcgonagall) may be able to pull a win, but the others...not so much.

#24 Posted by Helloman (30115 posts) - - Show Bio

Dolohov wins.

#25 Edited by SocaJunkie (8673 posts) - - Show Bio

@penguinlover:

Sirius stalemated Dolohov though IIRC and he stalemated Bellatrix too and only lost because he let his guard down.

#26 Posted by Saren (27933 posts) - - Show Bio

Malfoy hasn't actually done anything; Dolohov had a reputation as a brutal, deadly duelist.

#27 Edited by PenguinLover (994 posts) - - Show Bio

@socajunkie: IIRC he didn't really stalemate them. We saw them fighting but we don't know about the Bellatrix one. Yes he let his guard down, but when all he was doing was staying on the defence I'm not sure he'd be able to defeat her when they're both at their best. Not to mention this was just after Bellatrix got out of Azkaban. From what I remember, chances are she was weakened in that fight.

#28 Posted by SocaJunkie (8673 posts) - - Show Bio

@socajunkie: IIRC he didn't really stalemate them. We saw them fighting but we don't know about the Bellatrix one. Yes he let his guard down, but when all he was doing was staying on the defence I'm not sure he'd be able to defeat her when they're both at their best. Not to mention this was just after Bellatrix got out of Azkaban. From what I remember, chances are she was weakened in that fight.

Fair enough though I'm not sure about the Bellatrix weakened point since in the same battle she beat Tonks, Kingsley and blocked a spell from Dumbledore.

#29 Posted by DarthFallax (1638 posts) - - Show Bio

@darthfallax: The Big Three of course, then Bellatrix and (as much as I hate to acknowledge it) Delphini from The Cursed Child. I would probably give the likes of Flitwick and Mcgonagall the edge over Dolohov, but I could see him pulling a win against either of them. The other people you listed (Kingsley, Snape, Sirius, Remus, etc) just haven't impressed me enough for them to have a clear edge against Dolohov. I'd say Kingsley, Sirius and Snape (due to his near parity with Mcgonagall) may be able to pull a win, but the others...not so much.

What has McGonagall done that´s so impressive? i can only recall her general hype and her fight with Snape atm. I agree that these guys don´t have a clear edge against Dolohov, but Sirius and Kingsley should be able to take a minority imo, while Remus and Slughorn could possibly take one or two rounds of ten.

#30 Posted by OrangeBat (961 posts) - - Show Bio

Has Lucius Malfoy actually done anything of note in the series besides constantly get his ass kicked by teenagers and adults alike?

Dolohov at least managed to win a few fights in the books here and there.

#31 Edited by PenguinLover (994 posts) - - Show Bio

@darthfallax: What has McGonagall done that´s so impressive? i can only recall her general hype and her fight with Snape atm.

I'm also giving her credit due to her experience, her reputation, her showing against Voldemort (yes, I know the wand was acting against him and he couldn't kill them but he failed to even knock her, Kingsley and Slughorn until he saw Bellatrix die) and her stalemating/holding a slight edge over Snape.

I agree that these guys don´t have a clear edge against Dolohov, but Sirius and Kingsley should be able to take a minority imo

Based on his showing against an arguably weakened Bella, I'm inclined to agree with Sirius being able to take a minority, but Kingsley hasn't really impressed me enough to suggest otherwise. All he really has is hype, though it has been a while since I've read the book so I might be wrong.

while Remus and Slughorn could possibly take one or two rounds of ten.

Slughorn possibly, but Remus hasn't impressed me, to be honest. He's certainly powerful, but he's not really gone against someone of a level approaching Dolohov's.

@orangebat: Aside from sneering and getting knocked over a lot? Not really, no. Heck, Draco is more impressive than him.

#32 Edited by SocaJunkie (8673 posts) - - Show Bio

@orangebat: Malfoy never got his ass kicked by any teenagers, his only noteworthy showing though is casually blocking Harry’s spells.

#33 Posted by DarthFallax (1638 posts) - - Show Bio

@darthfallax: What has McGonagall done that´s so impressive? i can only recall her general hype and her fight with Snape atm.

I'm also giving her credit due to her experience, her reputation, her showing against Voldemort (yes, I know the wand was acting against him and he couldn't kill them but he failed to even knock her, Kingsley and Slughorn until he saw Bellatrix die) and her stalemating/holding a slight edge over Snape.

Meh, two of these three things are something that Slughorn shares, though I find Slughorn underrated anyway. Though she seems to be on the general level of Filius, so fair enough.

Based on his showing against an arguably weakened Bella, I'm inclined to agree with Sirius being able to take a minority, but Kingsley hasn't really impressed me enough to suggest otherwise. All he really has is hype, though it has been a while since I've read the book so I might be wrong.

Well, if we use Minervas showing against Voldemort, it´s only fair to use Kingsley competing with him Tom as well. He also defeated several death eaters while cornered off-screen, iirc. I mainly rank Lupin that high because the Pottermore comment that he lost against Dolohov because he was rusty, but then again, I don´t know the canonicity of Pottermore. I´m also interested how James and Lily would fare against Dolohov, because they seemingly survived several encounters with Tom, but they don´t have enough feats for a thread.

@orangebat: Malfoy never got his ass kicked by any teenagers, his only noteworthy showing though is casually blocking Harry’s spells.

Didn´t he also fought Lupin for a few moments?

#34 Posted by SocaJunkie (8673 posts) - - Show Bio
#35 Posted by SocaJunkie (8673 posts) - - Show Bio

@penguinlover: @darthfallax: Also I’m not sure if you’ve both heard of it but apparently there’s an author quote floating around saying Sirius was the most dangerous Marauder.

#36 Posted by OrangeBat (961 posts) - - Show Bio

@socajunkie said:

Sure he did, both during the Ministry encounter and afterwards at Malfoy manor. He also never casually blocked Harry's spells, you might be confusing him with Snape.

Slughorn possibly, but Remus hasn't impressed me, to be honest. He's certainly powerful, but he's not really gone against someone of a level approaching Dolohov's.

Seeing as how Dolohov killed him, I'd say canon had settled that question.

#37 Posted by SolisRay (35 posts) - - Show Bio
#38 Posted by PenguinLover (994 posts) - - Show Bio

@orangebat: To be fair to Remus, he was exhausted even before the battle. Running and casting so many spells on yourself for months would do that to you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf470b432518
#39 Posted by deactivated-5bf470b432518 (5801 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump

Dolohov spite-stomps.

#40 Edited by ArkhamAsylum3 (3920 posts) - - Show Bio

Why did someone create this thread? Dolohov beat Lupin who beat Lucius.

Dolohov>Lupin>Lucius.

#41 Posted by vengefulshot (2157 posts) - - Show Bio

Dolohov obviously.

#42 Edited by dark-sith123 (5033 posts) - - Show Bio

Malfoy dies

#43 Posted by Vitisid (1199 posts) - - Show Bio

Dolohov. Easily.

#44 Posted by ArkhamAsylum3 (3920 posts) - - Show Bio

Dolohov doesn't win easily but he does win.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf470b432518
#45 Posted by deactivated-5bf470b432518 (5801 posts) - - Show Bio

By scaling Dolohov takes this in a decent fight.

Pure feats, he stomps.

#46 Posted by Goltop (60 posts) - - Show Bio

@socajunkie: @shroudofsorrow: Lucius can hardly be in top 5. Not many DEs have considerable amount of feats or references to create a clear ladder, but I'd definitely put several more guys ahead of him (Barty Crouch Jr, Yaxley, Rowle, even Evan Rosier). In ranking, Lucius is about somewhere in the middle with many others.

And yeah Dolohov wins of course.

#47 Posted by ANTHP2000 (27904 posts) - - Show Bio

While I think the Malfoys are meant to be better than they've proven, no way can Lucius take on Dolohov.