tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

No Caption Provided

Rules

• The Wizard is composite with all editions of Dungeons and Dragons.
  • The Wizard exists in the Forgotten Realms multi-verse
  • In 6 months time, Galactus will come to devour Abeir-Toril
  • The Wizard knows that Galactus is coming in that time, and must find a way to prepare for Galactus, and either defeat him, or force Galactus to leave for good
  • Galactus is not prepping, he is just going to show up in 6 months and do his thing
  • The Wizard can recruit others to help him prepare, but when Galactus arrives, it's all up to the wizard
Avatar image for deactivated-60fae469e992f
deactivated-60fae469e992f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Avatar image for stalin-is-steel
Stalin-Is-Steel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are the Wizards in D&D really THIS good? Because I'm doubting if he could actually do anything to Galactus.

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 juiceboks  Moderator

I'm not seeing how this is fair..

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

destinyman75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By destinyman75

Don't underestimate a wizard with 6 months prep. If the wizard wanted to cheat he could enlist the aid of the gods who don't want there worshipers dead. Or just gain aid from epic folks like oh I don't know Elminster types or The Symbol.... Powerful artifacts dragons other beast. I will think more in this but I see a chance here.

Avatar image for fullmetalemprah
FullMetalEmprah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wizards in D&D are ridiculously strong but I'm pretty sure Big G takes this one.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By tparks

@fullmetalemprah: Note in the rules he doesn't HAVE to outright beat Galactus. If he can force Galactus to leave, then he wins. Like Reed did with the Ultimate Nullifier.

TBH, this is a pretty common level 20 campaign IMHO. Galactus has more power then most villains in a D&D campaign, but it's not like it's unheard of for a campaign to have the party put a universe-ending deity in it's place, and it's usually the Wizard who does the heavy lifting. I figured a composite version could come up with something. I'm more curious to see what people would think of, and less of "if" it could be done. Even if it's only a small chance of succeeding, there are definitely ways to make big-G back off that I can think of.

FullMetalEmprah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks: Yeah, I mean, if he had prep the wizard might actually be able to seal him off since he could find a Ring of Three Wishes or some other powerful magical item, but since he doesn't I have to give it to Galan.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FullMetalEmprah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks: Forget that last part lol, I misread the OP. In that case yeah like destiny said the wizard probably would be able to banish him since he has six months of prep. With that much time he can just recruit other wizards to help find a way to deal with the problem.

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 juiceboks  Moderator

@tparks: The wizard. I don't see what he can do even with prep to defeat Galactus.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@juiceboks: He doesn’t have to defeat him to win. He can just make Galactus leave.

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 juiceboks  Moderator

@tparks: How? The instance with the UN was decades ago and Galan has become a lot more powerful and daring since then.

destinyman75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thinking on it actually leaning for the Wizard because of the same reasons already given. I mean 6 months is a lot of prep. Of course going toe to toe would be a mistake as Galen is far beyond in power. But finesse and skill with back up and prep should still least allow for a circumstance to get Galen to go away. A clect way would be to lure Galen into the abyss or one of the nine hells. Let hell Lord's fight him . Can even entice/bargin with him maybe by letting him know to spare your world you will show him a place with all the energy he will need. (Abyss/ 9 hells kill two birds with one stone. It's an idea.

Which reminds me of a clever spell I made that stomped a hell Lord. Try opening a Portal above a hell Lord underneath a certain celestial lake ...lots of holy water damage 1d hp per drop adds up.....

Avatar image for deactivated-61469eb5765d0
deactivated-61469eb5765d0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Couldn't greater wish cover it?

Eric_of_Apotos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Six months is actually enough time for the wizard to win.

JulaSublime999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Galactus one shots everyone

Keenko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

Probably Galactus, a lvl 20 wizard is a good start against Galactus but he won’t win by himself.

Keenko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

Maybe worth noting that Mordenkainen, who to be fair is technically lvl 18 I think, lost a fight against Strahd that he had prep time on.

Lord_Titan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whats a wizard suppose to do to galactus, turn him into a frog?

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@juiceboks: His power level really doesn’t matter with the UN, but regardless there are still several ways I could think of.

Like a lot of people have said, a carefully worded Wish spell can do pretty much anything. Wish has been nerfed in some editions, but even if this wasn’t a composite Wizard, a Wish could be used that satisfies Galactus’ hunger without him needing to consume the planet.

There are a few spells that intensify hunger. With the proper prep, the wizard could exploit these to severely weaken Galactus, and then BFR him or something.

There are tons of ways to control time and inter-dimensional travel. The Wizard could even bargain with Galactus, allow him to consume the planet, then those two could step outside of time, while the Wizard reverses time to the point before Galactus devoured the planet. Galactus gets his energy, and the planet is back to normal.

The Wizard can also extend his prep indefinitely with time travel.

The Wizard could also bargain with Galactus, and tell him he can travel to other planets, and use a gate to summon him to those planets. The rules allow a character as powerful as Galactus to be pulled through a gate if the character allows it. The Wizard could give Galactus other planets to eat instead. Basically become a new Herald. There are a lot of planets and other universes with planets that the wizard can get to without too much trouble.

There are a lot of mechanics to exploit between all the editions, and that’s what Wizards are good for. I don’t want to come up with too many more examples, because I want to see what others come up with. This would not be easy at all, and a lot of these strategies might not work, but there are a near limitless amount of strategies that could be used by someone imaginative enough, without breaking any rules. Exploiting the rules, yes, but not necessarily breaking them.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nat 20 and the wizards seduces galan

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By tparks

@destinyman75: Did you post that story on another site? I think I’ve read about someone beating a Hell Lord like this before. Portals and gates are a common and fun exploit, so I wouldn’t be surprised if this strategy or something similar has been used a bunch of times though.

Turr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the only way Wizard can win this is if he can talk the gods into granting him some superior power to deal with the ultimate evil or something like that.

Level 20 wizard has some nice tricks up his sleeve but all of his spells including hax still have just domestic scale. Galactus is a galaxy+ level being with all hax you can imagine and he has them on cosmic scale. There is a LOOONG WAY from a street level hax user to galaxy buster. This thread is sadly a missmatch.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By tparks

@turr: Street level? Rarely are level 1 characters street level. By time a character gets to level 20, it’s rare they are even mid tier and not powerhouse levels. When you can punch a dragon in the face and one-shot it, you’re no longer street level. Lol

This goes even further with a Wizard, who has the potential to learn every spell in existence, and will have likely taken the spell books of a possibly a dozen high tier Dark Lords by that point. A level 20 D&D Wizard puts someone like Dr Strange to shame pretty easily (at least in the versatility of what they can do, power levels are pretty similar), with the intelligence of someone like Reed Richards by level 20, and given enough prep and resources, there is almost nothing they can’t accomplish. It’s why rarely any campaigns are released for level 20, because a Wizard is so broken that it’s nearly impossible to challenge them.

Avatar image for deactivated-61215780523f9
deactivated-61215780523f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wizard traps him in a giant bag of holding.

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By juiceboks  Moderator

@tparks: The only reasonable strategy you mentioned is convincing him to consume the planet and reversing time..assuming that the wizard is actually capable of restoring an entire planet in which case this thread doesn't seem very challenging if it's that simple for a wizard to do so.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By tparks

@juiceboks: That's not really that difficult of a spell for a level 20 Wizard.

Hart, R. Time Travel for DnD 5e. p. 2-3. Retrieved from https://olddungeonmaster.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/time-travel-for-dnd-5e.pdf

The Wizard and Galactus can travel to the timestream, back to the time before Galactus devoured the planet, and the timestream would repair itself, without anyone even knowing it happened besides Galactus and the Wizard.

@juiceboks said:

@tparks: The only reasonable strategy you mentioned is convincing him to consume the planet and reversing time..assuming that the wizard is actually capable of restoring an entire planet in which case this thread doesn't seem very challenging if it's that simple for a wizard to do so.

That's one option that doesn't seem that difficult (although if I was a DM, I would throw a wrench in this plan somehow), but if coming up with one out of a near limitless number of theories on how the Wizard could win is all this thread needs to be, then this thread is boring, but why would we want to do that? Why not explore all options and have some fun with it?

And why do you say that the other strategies aren't reasonable? I can understand extremely difficult, but they are still reasonable for a game like D&D where pretty much anything you can imagine is reasonable. A hunger spell with power granted to him from some nigh-omnipotent deity that doesn't want the planet they like to meddle with to be erased seems like it would work well (if pulled off) against Galactus. And the Wizard then BFRing Galactus to some other planet in some other dimension through a gate seems very reasonable. A gate works by calling an entity to a location. The entity knows where they are being called and for what purpose (which is how I've always seen it work, since deity level entities can elect whether or not they want to answer the summon based on why the summon is happening).

When you cast this spell, you can speak the name of a specific creature (a pseudonym, title, or nickname doesn’t work). If that creature is on a plane other than the one you are on, the portal opens in the named creature’s immediate vicinity and draws the creature through it to the nearest unoccupied space on your side of the portal. You gain no special power over the creature, and it is free to act as the GM deems appropriate. It might leave, attack you, or help you.

Wyatt, J., Schwalb, R. and Cordell, B. (2014). Player's handbook. 5th ed. Wizards of the Coast.

This is only a 9th level spell, so it's pretty easy to pull off, assuming Galactus would want to be summoned.

The Wizard would hold no power over Galactus, but if he is offering him up a planet, or even multiple planets to devour, I don't see why Galactus would fight it, specially if the Wizard has caused immense Hunger pains in Galactus with a Starvation spell like I mentioned as an option.

Your stomach growls as you near completion of the spell. As you declare the target of the spell, your hunger disappears, but you note with satisfaction that your target seems wracked with pain.

Sernett, M., Grubb, J. and McArtor, M. (2005). Spell compendium. Renton, Wash.: Wizards of the Coast, p.206.

I know the Wizard is no where near powerful enough on his own to pull this spell off on Galactus, but given 6 months of prep (which is an indefinite amount of time for someone who can casually meddle with space, time, planes, and alternate dimensions), the Wizard can amp this spell to levels made to effect gods. With enough caution, he could maybe manipulate an entity like The Great Old One Tsathoggua to aid in the spell. Tsathoggua is a Lovecraftian Great Old One who simultaneously resides in many realms, one of them being the realm of Hunger. Tsathoggua would normally not even pay attention to a Wizard, but if Galactus is involved and the Wizard is the only one who can do anything about it, Tsathoggua might enjoy causing a being like Galactus to hunger. He might even appear if the Wizard summoned him, but it's impossible to predict the motivations of a Great Old One, which is why the Wizard can actually see if it will be successful or not through time travel spells (think Dr Strange in IW).

Hart, R. Time Travel for DnD 5e. p. 8. Retrieved from https://olddungeonmaster.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/time-travel-for-dnd-5e.pdf
Hart, R. Time Travel for DnD 5e. p. 8. Retrieved from https://olddungeonmaster.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/time-travel-for-dnd-5e.pdf

Note that this is the simplest of spells. So if the Wizard can see into the future that Tsathoggua doesn't work out, he could just try the next deity in line. There are a lot of them, and some are more then willing to get involved in events like this one.

Almost anything is possible with a level 20 Wizard. It just depends on how creative the Wizard is. Keep in mind that a level 20 Wizard should have Reed Richards levels of intelligence, so it's not far fetched for a Wizard to think of these game-breaking rules to exploit. This is why not many people play campaigns past level 10, and if they do, there are typically homebrew rules to keep the players challenged. Or the players just have an understanding that they don't want to break the game, and won't abuse time travel or potential power amps. The DMGs in older editions would even encourage that players retire their characters after level 10 because of how powerful they will become, and have one of the Wizard's followers or apprentices become the new player character, while the retired character sits in a tower, and only comes out for a universe-ending threat or something.

destinyman75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks: It was posted over 15 years ago by the DM my buddy Sean. I simply opened up a Portal underneath a certain famous celestial lake and Mammon Lord I'd the third hell got a hot shower And would wind up making allies in his bride daughter of Asmodues Glasya. Was quite the cue, I had foreknowledge of jer hate for Mammon so it worked out quite well.

The damage came out to 1D hit point per drop and when you get that amount of water from and endless lake well he died. One of our more fun and epic ones there miss it now..not sure about anyone else doing it quite possible but was unheard of by my group at the time

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@destinyman75: Nice. It's a pretty sweet strategy. It probably pissed off your DM who had been planning an epic boss battle. lol

ProbablyASphere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Run 3.5 wizard. Over 60 AC easy and that is better than nearly everything in D&D creation. Galactus definitely has lower than 60. Galactus probably has a good amount of DR though. We don't know his spell resist so we can only guess.

Time stop is a wizard staple. No half decent wizard is going without it as soon as it becomes an option. It is important to note wizard may not damage Galactus during the time stop.

Sphere of Ultimate Destruction is a stupidly powerful spell that is going to carry this fight. It moves every round (six secondsish) and as a wizard you can spam cast this during time stop all around the target. Target takes damage and objects get destroyed. With prep a wizard can make an infinite amount of scrolls or wands to spam this spell as much as insanely possible. Along with the above mentioned time stop to allow more spamming. This kills Galactus.

If you wanna do the math (use the spell point system for better results) on how many he can possibly summon then I really can't recommend it. It is guaranteed that Galactus is dead. No sensible DM is throwing problems a wizard can shoot at this point. Because the wizard is absolutely shooting it. Especially with prep

destinyman75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks: lol sure did he tried refuting it but yeah. He was the one who calculated the H/p damage tried to downplay it. But he was a good DM cause he allowed a bit of creative thinking

destinyman75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SouskueMadara: You are correct in your assessment. Only thing that could backfire is Galen sending back those spheres to the sender. Main problem really is can a mages sheilds hold against major power cosmic blast. Perhaps not intentionally, but if other mags are doing the defense while you go for the offense takes a ton of pressure away and should work well

BlackMachismo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks: You're clearly trolling. No created character in 5e can oneshot a dragon with a punch, LOL, You only do 1 point of damage unarmed plus your strength modifier. Max strength is 20 for most players. Maybe 25 if you have some items. So you're doing 8 points of damage. You couldn't even drop Steve Rogers with that hit, much less a dragon.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackmachismo: You’re talking about the base max. A character with 6 strength can put on a Storm Giant Belt and have a 29 strength. And if you think 20 strength can’t take down Cap, you have no idea how combat works. That’s just ridiculous. You’re using baseline damage for a character who isn’t proficient in unarmed combat too.

You’re also only considering 5e, which took steps to water down stats and allow more freedom for what the crunch means. I’m guessing you have a dm who hasn’t played past versions.

Drizzt Du’Orden officially had only a 13 Strength in 3e, and there are a lot of arguments of Drizzt being on par or above Cap, which makes sense because anything over 10 is considered superhuman. The difference between 13 and 20 is gigantic. Specially when you use the difference between 3e and 5e. a 5e 20 is a lot bigger deal then a 3e 20.

BlackMachismo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks: Base damage is only 4 plus STR modifier. So no, a guy doing 11 points damage isn't one shotting Cap. Abilities over 10 are not superhuman. LOL. Every typical guard and bandit are above 10.

Outside of a monk using stunning strike and Cap bombing his Con throw, he ain't getting one shotted.

Show me the guy in 5e or even old school ad&d who can one shot a dragon with a punch.Didn't they cap strength at like 18 91-100 in ad&d? Max strength was 25 which basically has the strongest guys being much weaker (physically) than say...Spiderman. Hell, they're barely over Rogers.

3.5 is a different animal, though. I know there isn't any upper limit to strength. So you can have people with 50 STR running around

Amonfire1776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disney buys out the D&D gamemaster who surrenders in the face of their cash reserves...

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By tparks

@blackmachismo: I can understand from your comment that you’ve only read through the crunch of the game, and haven’t taken the time to read the important parts. TBH, you haven’t even figured out the crunch either if you play with high level characters that are that limited. It goes against everything written in every DMG.

Your DM can flavor your characters adventures however he chooses, and make them that low, but it’s not in line with official material.

BlackMachismo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BlackMachismo

@tparks: You're no longer using RAW if someone can oneshot punch a dragon. You, as a DM, are just allowing it because you think they should be able to do it. Also, anything above 10 is not necessarily superhuman. Every bandit, guard, and thug would be superhuman if that were so. You couldn't show a RAW work that shows someone being capable of landing an unarmed strike for over 100 points of damage if I paid you. Even the Oriental Adventures addon only had them doing 30 points damage with unarmed strikes. 30 is still a big number...well, it was back then since there were no +3 to 5 mods per level to hp due to high con

Paytience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Paytience

Was about to say that if your level 20 wizard can step to Galactus, then your GM is doing it wrong.

BlackMachismo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SouskueMadara:

AC 60. LOL. Name the 3.5 spell that destroys a planet. Post the entry or you're making up stuff.We know Big G can effortlessly destroy planets and even solar systems. 60 AC can't help. Time stop won't work either. As an example, Dr Doom used Thor's hammer to stop time for all of Latveria in order to oust Kristoff. Kristoff was a boy who was implanted with Doom's knowledge and personality believing himself to be Doom. Kristoff had no advance warning the real Doom was coming. After Doom stopped time and walked into the castle, guess who was unaffected by time being stopped? Kristoff. He had some tech in his armor or something that made him immune to temporal tampering or something. If Kristoff, who is well below Galactus, is immune to time tampering...why would Galactus be affected? Again, the instrument used to stop time was Thor's hammer. So this wasn't some man-made wonky piece of equipment

Avatar image for rampagethefirst
RampageTheFirst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does the Wizard even have prep feats?

Avatar image for deactivated-5cba198d655f5
deactivated-5cba198d655f5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Galactus annihilates

ProbablyASphere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackmachismo: You're being dumb.

1) Does Galactus has feats against time manipulation? I can't think of any.

2) AC is a D&D thing and needs to be handled with D&D terms. Galactus is Gargantuan+ and a very easy target. Even with shields and shit he can't be a hard target to hit. So yes, 60 is even being GENEROUS.

3) Galactus gets no time to planet bust without feats against time stop. Even if he does have any then I can find PLENTY of wizard shit that would wreck his shit with prep. You underestimate spell casters in D&D. They're walking gods. They can create dimensions and more. Galactus would not be a huge threat to a reasonable epic level + wizard.

And yes, plenty of D&D spells are capable of planet wrecking on large scales. Hence the prep. ANd I did name one. You need to go learn how to wizard. Just look up a 3.5 Wizard guide or two. If your wizard isn't wiping everything then you're just being nice and letting your friends play too. Not to mention the summon monster spells where you can reduce Galactus' stats to 0 and he autodies cause D&D rules

BlackMachismo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SouskueMadara:

Show the entry for that spell that describes the damage as being able to destroy a planet. Saying it destroys anything doesn't qualify as planet busting.

Avatar image for greysentinel365
Greysentinel365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish......

kukuruzos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By kukuruzos

I don't think time manipulation will make like it's presented in here "There are tons of ways to control time and inter-dimensional travel. The Wizard could even bargain with Galactus, allow him to consume the planet, then those two could step outside of time, while the Wizard reverses time to the point before Galactus devoured the planet. Galactus gets his energy, and the planet is back to normal." It is going to create a time loop and all hell breaks loose unless it is exactly what the magician wants! Say Galactus devours one planted and magician somehow stays alive, reverting time would create a paradox in which Galactus would be in the middle, therefore, might be literally stopped in place in the middle of now where since he would exist in two scenarios simultaneously. But I don't know that D&D Guide has a scenario for that it's fun to speculate))

Hp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kukuruzos: what about the other one tparks said like summoning him to other planets or seduce him. Wait does Galactus have sex 😳

Whathappened

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Galactus stomps