• 74 results
#51 Edited by Abyssdarkfire (1417 posts) - - Show Bio

going woth Leo even his shield is a weapon you can crush a skull with one bash they showed it in the tv show deadliest warrior.

#52 Posted by KingWillie (597 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel like Aragorn waaay outskills Leo. I'm surprised people are even going with Leo honestly.

#53 Edited by ParagonNate (4605 posts) - - Show Bio

@theendgame:

Climbing the cliff is impressive, however it isn't any better than Aragorn running 3 to 4 days without stopping, or when he throws Gimli across the gap at Helms Deep with one arm, in fact I'd say that throwing Gimli is more impressive.

The wolf was not 6 ft. tall, it was very large yes, but not that big. He killed it by backing away so that when it leapt at him it was stuck and couldn't defend itself then stabbed it in the mouth. Heck I could have killed it at that point, probably not in the same way but still.

Aragorn was fighting fairly evenly with an armored troll (as if they need armor to begin with) in the fight at the Black Gate in RotK, the troll even steps on him to hold him down at one point yet Aragorn is just fine afterwards. This trumps the unusually tall and ugly guy that Leonidas needed help to kill.

I'd say an immortal elf princess is better but that's just me.

True while Leonidas did kill more than fodder, 95% of what he killed was fodder slave soldiers who wore no armor at all and ran headlong into a phalanx that was guarding a narrow pass like idiots.

To top all that off Aragorn has more years of combat experience than Leonidas has been alive, and he has superior reaction/combat speed. He is also the more skilled of the two given his greater amount of combat experience.

#54 Posted by KingWillie (597 posts) - - Show Bio

@theendgame:

Climbing the cliff is impressive, however it isn't any better than Aragorn running 3 to 4 days without stopping, or when he throws Gimli across the gap at Helms Deep with one arm, in fact I'd say that throwing Gimli is more impressive.

The wolf was not 6 ft. tall, it was very large yes, but not that big. He killed it by backing away so that when it leapt at him it was stuck and couldn't defend itself then stabbed it in the mouth. Heck I could have killed it at that point, probably not in the same way but still.

Aragorn was fighting fairly evenly with an armored troll (as if they need armor to begin with) in the fight at the Black Gate in RotK, the troll even steps on him to hold him down at one point yet Aragorn is just fine afterwards. This trumps the unusually tall and ugly guy that Leonidas needed help to kill.

I'd say an immortal elf princess is better but that's just me.

True while Leonidas did kill more than fodder, 95% of what he killed was fodder slave soldiers who wore no armor at all and ran headlong into a phalanx that was guarding a narrow pass like idiots.

To top all that off Aragorn has more years of combat experience than Leonidas has been alive, and he has superior reaction/combat speed. He is also the more skilled of the two given his greater amount of combat experience.

/thread.

#55 Posted by pr0d1gy (3300 posts) - - Show Bio

Leonidas destroys him while drinking a martini.

#56 Posted by theendgame (902 posts) - - Show Bio

@paragonnate: so you agree he did more than just kill fodder. Awesome. Btw I never said who I thought would win just that, I would like each contestant to get a fair shake. Instead of trying to discredit one character with misleading facts, let's try to be objective.

But I think Aragorn wins. Extremely hard fought. Leonidas after all was the best of the best. From a tribe of people who killed off their weak and kept only the strong. He was over 40 years old at the time of the battle w/ the 300. His experience is pretty solid too.

So Aragorn, not a stomp.

#57 Posted by Bo88gdan (5453 posts) - - Show Bio

Aragorn would win

#58 Posted by Eisenfauste (17366 posts) - - Show Bio

Aragorn

#59 Posted by ParagonNate (4605 posts) - - Show Bio

@theendgame:

Yes he did more than just kill fodder, but not by much, in fact the only real opponent that he fought was the big Immortal that almost killed him. He didn't even do that on his own, he got help from other Spartans. Each opponent is getting a fair shake, it's just that when actually examined, Leonidas' feats don't measure up to Aragorn's in any way. I am not trying to discredit Leonidas at all, not sure were you got that from. It doesn't really matter where Leonidas is from really, Aragorn is his superior in every way.

#60 Edited by theendgame (902 posts) - - Show Bio

@paragonnate: I don't see how he's superior in every way.

Experience - Aragorn, of course. Bigger badder enemies. He also has bigger badder friends. But I think he knows how to fight against strength, and aggression and ultimately I think it wins out.

Strength - I would say Leonidas, him fighting the big guy was on the third day after getting battered by thousands of Persians. His strikes were lifting dudes (fodder) off their feet and dismembered several immortals (far from fodder) with relative ease.

Endurance - Aragorn, running for three days straight (I'm taking your word he didn't stop or start walking, I can't remember) is no joke.

Speed - toss up. Both showed pretty good feats when fighting multiple attackers. I do feel that Vigo seemed more panicked and didn't look as confident as Gerrard in battle. However that's not Aragorns fault.

Killer instinct - Leonidas. Some guys are meaner and have that knock out type of punch. Aragorns experience keeps it close but attitude can intimidate opponents into making mistakes. Leonidas is usually the first to strike, and he does so with ill intentions. Not that Aragorn doesn't it just seems that his style is a little more defensive and is a better fencer.

Intelligence - Tough one. Remember we aren't talking about experience or knowledge, but creativity, quick thinking and improvisation. I'm gonna say Leonidas. For all the reasons why you said his feats were less impressive. The way he killed the wolf. The way he used the hot gates to his advantage. Aragorn is plenty resourceful as well just isnt as innovative IMO.

Fighting skill - Aragorn. He can weather the furious pace of stronger fighters and hit remarkable counter strikes. Leonidas is mostly offense but does have his shield.

So I see it being closer than you do. But ultimately Aragorn takes it.

Avatar image for theamazingbatman
#61 Posted by theamazingbatman (2727 posts) - - Show Bio

Book Aragorn SOLOS .

Movie aragorn wins barely .

#62 Edited by ParagonNate (4605 posts) - - Show Bio

@theendgame:

I disagree about Leonidas being stronger, him chopping off limbs in a single swing (something which Aragorn has also done) doesn't beat Aragorn throwing Gimli across the gap at Helms Deep, or when he fought the armored troll at the Black Gate. I would put the troll significantly above the big Immortal honestly.

In terms of combat speed I would rate Aragorn as superior to be honest, Leonidas hasn't done anything to match Aragorn smacking a thrown knife out of the air after getting knocked around by Lurtz, or when Aragorn dodged an arrow on the way out of Moria. Also the flurry of attacks which drove Lurtz back, ending with Aragorn chopping off one of his arms, before stabbing him, then when Lurtz still doesn't go down Aragorn quickly yanks his sword out and lops of his head (this and other feats impresses me more than anything Leonidas did). While their combat speed may look like a toss up I'd chalk that up to being a limitation of live action films, Aragorn still has superior speed and reaction feats to Leonidas.

Aragorn showed plenty of brutality in his fighting, there was the aforementioned fight with Lurtz. I remember him smashing an Uruk-hai's head into a stone pillar at Amon Hen as well as knocking one down to get it into a position in which he could slit it's throat, dismembering/decapitating various Uruk-hai at Helms Deep. Finally at the Battle of Pelenor Fields an orc grabbed Aragorn's sword arm from behind to stop him from swinging, Aragorn merely rotated his arm so he had it wrapped around the smaller orc's head then he easily snapped it's neck. These are all off the top of my head and I think there could be a few more, Aragorn may seem like he has less of a 'killer instinct' due to him simply wishing to avoid violence as much as possible (calming everyone down when Legolas aims his bow at Eomer, among other things) but make no mistake when he needed to he was plenty brutal and held nothing back.

This also made me remember a certain line of his, before the Battle of Pelenor Fields, Elrond says something along the lines of "You have no hope, you are merely riding to your end." and Aragorn replied with "It will not be our end but his!".

He showed plenty of intelligence and quick thinking, before he moved to protect Frodo from the troll in Moria he thought to grab a weapon that might actually be more useful than his sword (the large spear that the troll then used to try and stab Frodo). He use terrain to his advantage various times at Amon Hen, the stairway to limit the number of Uruk-hai that could come at him as well as using it to leap down among them to stop them from pursuing Frodo. Using the pillars to help kill a number of Uruk-hai one of which I mentioned above. To be honest there isn't much to chose from for either one of these guys concerning this, and I will admit Leonidas did showcase a more strategical mind than Aragorn via his various decisions, however I feel that Aragorn showed more creativity 'in the moment' if you will.

Something I'm surprised no one has mention is that Leonidas isn't wearing armor (not really, leather underwear and a helmet don't count) nearly every vital area on his body is completely exposed. While Aragorn wore armor of some sort pretty much every time he had an option to do so. Two out of the four big battles he was in he wore armor and the ones in which he didn't he had a reason for. At Amon Hen the Fellowship was still relying on speed and secrecy rather than violence to achieve their mission so he didn't wear any armor as to not slow himself, and therefore the Fellowship, down. While at Helms Deep he dons a chainmail shirt before the battle knowing that he might need it. The Battle at Pelenor Fields he had the army of the dead to back him up, also he never had the chance to get any armor to put on. The battle at the Black Gate he wore chainmail and leather as well as arm and leg guards. Granted it's a 50/50 shot of Aragorn wearing armor or not, but if he knew he was going to be fighting another accomplished warrior I think he'd at least wear the chainmail shirt rather than go in without any type of armor. On top of that even though he wore no armor at Pelenor Fields he was one of the very few who went through the battle without even getting scratched.

We both agree that Aragorn wins this I just don't see Leonidas as that much of a challenge for Aragorn as you do. Either way it's been fun.

#63 Edited by theendgame (902 posts) - - Show Bio
#64 Posted by dimitridkatsis (3019 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeo, Aragorn has this.

#65 Edited by ParagonNate (4605 posts) - - Show Bio

@theendgame:

Aaawwww, I went through all that trouble to type out a response and I get a one word reply. Left me hangin' man lol.

#66 Edited by theendgame (902 posts) - - Show Bio

@paragonnate: haha! I think we've both made well established points. Just different opinions and somehow, no matter how long winded, agree on the victor.

#67 Posted by Fallingcliffs (5727 posts) - - Show Bio

Leaning towards Aragorn.

#68 Posted by Leo-343 (30909 posts) - - Show Bio

Aragorn.

#69 Posted by fuzzy_narwhal (23 posts) - - Show Bio

This is relatively close, if movie aragorn before he got Anduril. Originally made as Narsil by the dwarf Telchar, no armor could stop it. Its mate, Angrist, cut the silmaril from morgoth's crown. If Aragorn has Anduril, the shield Leonides has does not matter. Otherwise, it is relatively even.

#70 Posted by ElderSkaar (5319 posts) - - Show Bio

Leonidas

#71 Posted by InnerSeoul (101 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry to necrobump but fun conversation! Sucks to say as a lifelong grecophile, but going to have to go with Aragorn. Having a two handed sword against a shield isn’t the insurmountable obstacle it’s being made out to be.

Avatar image for classypurgatory
#72 Posted by ClassyPurgatory (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Aragorn obviously, being a Dúnedain, Aragorn has a longer lifespans and increased physical abilities, making him stronger and faster than a normal man.

Avatar image for xmangog__beastx
#73 Posted by xMangog__Beastx (4279 posts) - - Show Bio

Aaragorn.

#74 Edited by foxerdes (9864 posts) - - Show Bio

That Aragorn wank though. I'm not saying he is not good, but people literally took two movie shots out of context.

#75 Edited by Nucleon (2576 posts) - - Show Bio

@classypurgatory said:

Aragorn obviously, being a Dúnedain, Aragorn has a longer lifespans and increased physical abilities, making him stronger and faster than a normal man.

The Spartan in "300" are also heavily fantasied.

In theory, you are right, but in "practice" movie Aragorn didn't dominate the battlefield like movie Leonidas did; He had the best moves (his shield technique was impeccable) and he was also a lot meaner. He wins 6/10 here IMO.