#6  Edited By Dawn_of_Ages

Maul in a decent fight.

Jooosh1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Maul wins round 1, round 2 Kylo and round 3 Maul again. It wouldn't be a thrashing like everyone else thinks though.

KingCrimson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@trust_this_786: Speed feats for Maul from Episode I only that suggest he blitzes?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4
deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for proteusxmanrxis
ProteusXManRxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

zill0678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1: Spite in mauls favor

2: good win for Kylo

3: Maul wins handedly

KingCrimson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trust_this_786: I agree that he definitely beats Kylo in a saber fight no question. Just don't know where you got the idea that he's fast enough to blitz.

Laurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kylo wins round 2, round 1 and 3 are stomps for Maul.

phillip33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The new trilogy dueling is incredibly lackluster

RKelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RKelly

@phillip33 said:

The choreography in TLJ was at least a lot better than in TFA but yes I agree, for all of the prequel's faults they absolutely excelled in lightsaber fights

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phillip33: Which is a fresh breath of air. Do you really want the absurd fights from the prequels?

ParagonNate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phillip33: Which is a fresh breath of air. Do you really want the absurd fights from the prequels?

Yes., I'll take absurd, acrobatic, and entertaining over lackluster and pointless any day.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Wolfrazer  Online

Well there hasn't been really any proper duel sequences.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paragonnate: How are they pointless ? They're just more realistic instead of over the top

bigsambino87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I back Maul, all rounds. Kylo is not breaking through his Force barrier, and he's not defeating him in saber combat. Kylo may have more potential in the Force than Maul, but he is not nearly as well trained as Maul was. Kylo gives him a good fight, but Maul wins in the end.

Richard96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maul wins all rounds. Can have some issues in round 2, but he still wins 9/10

AlexTheBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1.Raund Lightsaber abilities

Maul easily

2.Raund Force abilities

Kylo has more feats so he wins. CW and Rebels Maul win.

3.Raund All out

Maul solidly

phillip33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

phillip33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725: lol it's star wars, I'm not looking for realism in a lightsaber duel, and I'm not looking for a lightsaber battle that looks like two normal dudes swinging light sticks at each other, I'm looking for an intense battle between two greatly enhanced, swift, and acrobatic, unrealistic characters.

phillip33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolfrazer: @wolfrazer: even their performance against the praetorian guards was incredibly underwhelming.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The new trilogy is to realistic when it comes to dueling in the Prequels they were just ridiculous and way to over the top for the newbees to compete with

I don't think Kylo or Rey could take ESB Luke

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Wolfrazer  Online

@phillip33: I thought it was fine, but I feel it's overblown and I don't see how people can gauge Rey and Kylo to other characters just from that alone.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I see from some posters that they can take on some very established characters just because of that scene...meanwhile I'm just sitting here like

"??? How are you gauging this exactly?"

phillip33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolfrazer: seriously... Anyone around maul level would cut through those guards with utter ease.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By kgb725

@phillip33: That's only happened in 2 out of 9 movies

phillip33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Maul all rounds if we’re taking Canon. Strictly movies, Kylo wins the Force round.

Waking_Dreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Waking_Dreamer

@paragonnate said:

@rabumalal said:

Yes., I'll take absurd, acrobatic, and entertaining over lackluster and pointless any day.

@kgb725 said:

@paragonnate: How are they pointless ? They're just more realistic instead of over the top

I guess it's different lightsabers strokes for different folks. But I would be one of the ones who like it. Just because it's more realistic doesnt mean the techniques/choreo/feats you're seeing are from a group of random guys who are fighting with sticks. OBVIOUSLY, the fight you're seeing is from "trained/competent combatants", otherwise say two of your random friends could never win against 8 other guys determined to beat them up.

Rey's high-guard against 3 Praetorian Guards:

No Caption Provided

Kylo 3v1:

No Caption Provided

Rey 2v1:

No Caption Provided

Kylo's overpowers 3 Praetorian Guards:

No Caption Provided

Kylo dual-wielding:

No Caption Provided

Kylo's Crossguard used to full effect:

No Caption Provided

Rey's 3rd kill:

No Caption Provided

Rey in a grapple:

No Caption Provided

Rey out of grapple:

No Caption Provided

Along with the added realism, also comes with the grittiness and savagery of killing people in close quarters.

Think of realistic fighting scenes from Gladiator / Kingdom of Heaven - but with lightsabers!

phillip33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waking_dreamer: oh yeah obviously they're still skilled, I was speaking from a purely visual standpoint.

EugenSavoyen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By EugenSavoyen

Maul in a blink of eye.

Aka_aka_aka_ak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Round 1: Maul in a close fight

Round 2: Kylo quite easily

Round 3: Depends on, say, how far apart they start, surroundings, etc. Unless Kylo can somehow take advantge of his strength in the force, Maul gets in close and wins, although it's even close than round 1.

nerdchore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Round 1. Maul wins in a good fight

Round 2 kylo wins

Round 3 could go either way

triplelindy39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By triplelindy39

Don’t know if this thread has died already or not, but from what I understand a lot of the conclusions here may be a little misled. It’s important to remain objective in this kind of debate and remember that any case you make has to be on a grounded basis. As someone who highly appreciates the fighting styles from both trilogies and both characters, here’s my take—

People misperceive the lackluster element of the sequels’ saber scenes (even as of TLJ) as unimpressive and incomparable to the prequels. You have to bear in mind that, in modern Star Wars cinema, there are more realistic revisions at work than ever before. If the prequels were reshot with the current aesthetic, a lot of its theatrics (which largely come from the Kung Fu elements clearly mixed in, particularly with TPM) would be reduced in favor of a more tangible impact. Lightsabers have always been a work-in-progress, changing from fencing utilities (ANH) to heavier energy swords (ESB-ROTJ) to essentially weightless lasers with ignition handles (prequels). A lot of this is because the writers—primarily George—have always had a thing for making tweaks wherever they can and using Star Wars to test new waters. As of the sequels, their designs have been done the most justice in terms of realistic presentation. The actors are basically holding advanced SaberForge weapons rather than sticks that would at best sting if they hit you. With any luck we’ll see Maul’s skills with a more realistic portrayal in Solo II.

Now, to evaluate the characters themselves—

MARTIAL ABILITY

(For TPM Maul, I don’t plan on using any references from the novel seeing as a lot of its background has been retconned and it’s sheer madness whenever I find an excerpt in which a combatant can strike, say, eighteen times in a single second.) It goes without saying that he’s a refined practitioner of martial arts and probably an even more proficient swordsman. Then again—in TPM he’s going against a tiring old man and a hotheaded novice, both of which aren’t making enough use of conventional swings and haven’t engaged anyone in an actual serious life-or-death lightsaber duel ever. All three of them are fixated on wearing their opponent down through sheer, almost mindless aggression. They also kick each other around in ways that are ridiculously simple. To be specific—

•One of Obi-Wan’s first swings after jumping over Maul’s head in the hangar was a complete miss.

•Maul kicks down Qui-Gon in the middle of a two-sided barrage near the generator room’s doors. Maybe Jinn wasn’t really paying attention but he definitely could’ve lobbed his foot off right then. Right after that happens, Obi-Wan goes for an aggressive spin-swing from the opposite direction that gives Maul perfect time to leap away.

•When the doors open, Kenobi’s too busy twirling his saber around to stop himself from getting kicked in the head.

•Maul gets backhanded twice in the face by Jinn even though he’s in a perfect position to run him through with his saber right then, seeing as the Jedi made no effort to properly defend his midsection in close-quarters.

•etc

He was against a team whose coordination was so lacking that it might as well have not been practiced at all. Up until Kenobi’s rage-amp, Maul wasn’t in too much trouble seeing as their styles mainly consisted of spamming up close ineffectually against a reasonably well-executed series of parries and defensive maneuvers, getting tired down, and then being backed up—all until defeat. And even in light of this strategy, Maul’s reactions to their hand-to-hand strikes were unexpectedly poor, considering how much more learned he seemed to be.

His stamina, regardless of the brief rest break all three combatants took, is impeccable—he had fought at a steadily increasing pace for about three to four minutes total. His footwork and body motion are also very well executed, and compensate for the fact that a saberstaff is a much harder weapon to use than a regular saber.

Lastly, he doesn’t act mindfully enough during combat—he gets high off the thrill of doing battle with Jedi and doesn’t seem to know how to temper his eagerness, which probably causes him to strike just for the sake of aggressive contact even if it’s without purchase. Against the likes of rage-focus Kenobi this has shown to result in dire consequences, such as his weapon getting cut in two.

Ren is a distinctive fighter in that he’s highly unorthodox and effective. The circumstances in the TFA duel did him no favors and he fared much better than many people gave him credit for. The misconception of his dueling ability being outright amateurish doesn’t seem to have cleared up all that much even after TLJ, a movie in which he’s shown to possess a more wise and resilient fighting form.

Ren was sturdily finessing a team (consistently three at a time) whose coordination was more formidable and whose training was more diverse, given their use of pikes and lightwhips. They made use of real tactics such as circling their enemy, timing their hits, striking from different angles simultaneously, sacrificing themselves so their comrade would have an opening, etc. Their heavy armor was also resistant to glancing hits from sabers. The best response against this kind of force lies in resilience and ingenuity.

Ren maintains an imposing, lethal posture throughout the fight. Despite the fact that he is mainly flat-footed, he does well at maintaining his balance and accomplishing a multitude of different things such as:

•Staggering an aggressor away with his sheer muscle

•Dodging and blocking in different directions simultaneously

•Using a saberlock to force open an interval in an enemy’s defenses in which he can concuss them with a solid backhand (even if their face is covered by heavy armor)

•etc

His weapon choice is impressive as well, as he has the freeform advantages of a single saber and the extra defense offered by the crossguard, which actually prevented two praetorian guards from stabbing into his midsection and also helped him stagger opponents away in the middle of a lock.

Kylo’s primary weakness in dueling is his lack of larger technique—he is likely unable to execute moves of such complexities as Anakin’s dual-wielding in AOTC. However, he compensates for this by carefully calculating his use of heavy strikes and unprecedented motions. He’s also rarely the first to attack in a duel, usually waiting his opponent out so he can turn their offensive back on them and take advantage of their disruption.

Contrary to popular opinion, Kylo isn’t a flailing novice. He manages to be both crude and unexpected, and has trained against a much more diverse assortment of weaponry. Against Maul, it’d probably play out a bit like Bane and Sirak’s second battle in that the heavier fighter will wait out his more aggressive and acrobatic opponent—except that Maul is less likely to tire so easily and Ren would be quicker to take advantage of any opening he finds.

Maul may outwit and overwhelm his opponent with his technique alone if Ren is pressured for too long. Then again, Ren is more tactical and would likely maintain a reasonable enough distance to keep his composure and make Maul overstep. I’d like to see what happens when Ren backhands Maul the same way he did the one armored guard.

Avatar image for xmangog__beastx
xMangog__Beastx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By xMangog__Beastx

Maul stomps.

fairtrade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By fairtrade

Pretending for a moment that the Sequel Trilogy is indeed Star Wars...

Maul is the better duelist, but Kylo should essentially be able to ragdoll him.

Richard96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kylo gets schooled again.

SAMB94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SAMB94

People are crazy here! Must just not like the new trilogy or something. Kylo in the last Jedi was a very skilled lightsaber duelist and also powerful in the force. Neither qui gon or obi wan are as physically strong as kylo. Kylo also becomes bloodlusted quite easily, I don’t think he ever fights not bloodlusted to be totally honest. Either way, Kylo’s physical strength and force abilities are far beyond what mall offers in ep. 1.

Round 1- Maul

Round 2- Kylo

Round 3- Kylo

NeloAngelo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The prequels swordplay and choreography wasn't over the top just to be flashy, the goal behind it being that fast paced was to as convincingly as possible on film display the Jedi were skilled and powerful enough to actually make carrying around swords essentially viable in a technologically advanced fantasy. As for acrobatics Jedi ofc aren't restricted to a normal human's agility so I see little reason to try and bash them utilizing it, especially when it's cool as hell. Duel of the Fates anyone?

And don't try to attack a prequel scene for its fight choreography....that scene where Rey and Kylo take on Darth Gollum's Winkie Guard is so bad the guards are literally fighting each other, no I'm serious.

I honestly can't take anyone seriously who tries to put those hilarious Disney fights on equal or superior footing to the Prequel masterpieces. The OT fights as well are miles better and I'm decidedly with George on how they compare to 1, 2, and 3.

Jedi in their prime>Solo's adopted child vs a non force sensitive janitor and some girl who both pick up a lightsaber for 1st time and go at it.

Loading Video...

Maul slaughters in his sleep, or can he not replicate Rey tagging Ren like what 4 times the first time she ever picks up a lightsaber? Oh and the janitor also nailed him if irc, Maul slaughters.

WarlordEternal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

1. Maul
  2. Kylo
  3. Maul

Being trained by one of the most powerful Sith Lords in the history of the Galaxy and besting two Jedi simultaneously, puts Maul leagues ahead of Kylo.

Avatar image for madscientist224
Madscientist224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maul all rounds

Mr_Shazam0920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maul

Kylo

Maul

NeloAngelo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Maul
  2. Kylo
  3. Maul

Being trained by one of the most powerful Sith Lords in the history of the Galaxy and besting two Jedi simultaneously, puts Maul leagues ahead of Kylo.

Maul all rounds

No Caption Provided

SincereAgape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Maul.

Kylo

Kylo

Maul is one dimensional, being only a light saber specialist. Maul is also very very squishy. Kylo wins two out of three. But all out is the only important one.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maul

Kylo

Maul

hulkbuster94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maul wins all 3 defeating qui gon jinn, and losing to obi wan through plot is better than anything ren has done. Hell ren gets stomped by rey who has no training.

AlexTheBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Round 1 and 3 go to Maul due to being a way better duelist. Round 2 goes to Kylo due to ep 1 Maul’s lack of feats.