ROUND 3 -Korra has Airbending only

No Caption Provided

Aystarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@chloros: @vengefulshot: @rijehu: @byondeon: @masma94: @bigdreamer48:@aystarr: @anthp2000: @emmafrostxmen: @quinlan58: @crater_maker: @indomitableregal: @captain_narlowe: @king-ragnar: @stefano: @mialthefencer: @incursion2:@psi-bite234:@freestyler1999::@co-boss:@cpt_nice: @marvelfan1992: @viking1205: @thekeys: @mrgetmebodied: @thebuckaronatr: @shepardoakenprime: @arcus1: @darthfallax:

dratini1331@joewell@strictlyanime@nighthunder@rbt

@rogueshadow@norrinboltagonprime21@pr0metheus@sophia89@princearagorn1@ssj_god@lvenger

@princearagorn1@homicidalmaniac@ssj_god

@redbird3rdboywonder@pierpat@knightofzero

@dccomicsrule2011@lunacyde@sophia89@@geekryan @emmafrostxmen @norrinboltagonprime21@pr0metheus@sophia89@princearagorn1@lvenger

@funsiized@ssj_god@jmarshmallow

@dccomicsrule2011@lunacyde@etheral_dreams

@killerwasp@kidphillip@aressword@wbr17@korraspirit@jr_avatarexpert@dextersinister@thunderbolt30@nighthunder@metaljimmor@spartankobe@jacthripper@primebonnick@gizmorino@rijehu@myerlanski@koays@useyourname@stormdriven@hypnosis@pirateking@mitcheii@deranged_midget@abyssdarkfire@hatemalingsia@arv993@dreadpool10@batking200@sirneko@loklegends@kingvenus@marvelfan1992@martinceld@therapist1

@thenewbluebeetle007@darkdefender@hulkage@linark@just_banter@soduh2@justicethorpsylocke

@lukehero@xxxcarzellxxx@pierpat@zukolicious@jrazor@theavatarguruu@pooty@joewell

@major_hellstorm@viren809@shepardoakenprime@blacklegraph@anthp2000

@amendment50: @king22@gothamciti:@tarutaru@kigretheviking @thebuckaronatr @crimson-feather @shepardoakenprime @jdogg @gunchar1@deathhero61@gothamciti@justicethorpsylocke itachus17@major_hellstrom@captain_narlowe

geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3 geekryan  Online

Kya.

Korra's earthbending is not that great, other than her metalbending and AS feats. Her only chance is environmental bending, but Kya can do the same, and Kya is decently agile, being able to keep up with both Zaheer and Ming Hua.

Viking1205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kya. Southpole is a huge advantage. Kya is more than competent enough to put Korra down in such a location.

byondeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Korra, fairly easily too. Location changes nothing.

Kya have done nothing that would put her even close to Korra in Earthbending.. Location changes nothing except the amount of water Kya have to bend. What we have seen from her isn't enough to bridge the gap based on location.

BrunoAraujo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BrunoAraujo

My vote goes to Korra. She is so cute:)) I think this would serve as a good essay hook!

ANTHP2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ANTHP2000  Online

Kya, and quite handily, I don't see how Korra has any real advantage outside of raw physicality, which is rather secondary in all bending fights, much less a challenge from a waterbender in one of the Poles. The setting could be neutral and she still wouldn't touch Katara's daughter without air or waterbending.

byondeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By byondeon

@anthp2000 said:

Kya, and quite handily, I don't see how Korra has any real advantage outside of raw physicality, which is rather secondary in all bending fights, much less a challenge from a waterbender in one of the Poles. The setting could be neutral and she still wouldn't touch Katara's daughter without air or waterbending.

Korra have equally as much Earth as Kya have Water. This is a borderline stomp in Korra's favor..

Korra would most non-Avatar bender with Earthbending.

The only ones she would lose to is:

• Toph
  • Bumi
  • Katara
  • Iroh
  • Ozai
  • Azula
vengefulshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kya because of the location, I would side with kora in a more neutral setting.

psi-bite234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kya

Avatar image for deactivated-5eeb201d11f2c
deactivated-5eeb201d11f2c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kya because of the location, I would side with kora in a more neutral setting.

byondeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mialthefencer: @psi-bite234: @vengefulshot: Location doesn't change the outcome. Korra have about as much Earth to bend than Kya have water. And Kya is far from as skilled in water than Korra is Earth..

geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 geekryan  Online

@byondeon said:

@mialthefencer: @psi-bite234: @vengefulshot: Location doesn't change the outcome. Korra have about as much Earth to bend than Kya have water. And Kya is far from as skilled in water than Korra is Earth..

You're wrong.

Look at everyone saying Kya, versus only you saying "Korra borderline stomps"

Biased much?

marvelfan1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 marvelfan1992  Online

Kya for a slight majority

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@byondeon: The location definitely does change the outcome. It's true that there's infinite water and earth, but the default for most settings is limited water and unlimited earth, meaning that the South Pole is effectively an amp over her regular levels for Kya. That's why I supported Tonraq over Korra in a similar thread a few weeks ago (although IMO Tonraq > Kya in the South Pole).

Although thinking about it twice, I do think that the case for Korra winning is probably stronger then the case for Kya winning. She's physically superior and significantly more powerful. Kya doesn't really have the feats to take advantage of the setting because she hasn't fought in it, although I expect that if she were to have the opportunity to fight there she'd get those feats.

So I suppose I'm changing my answer.

BigDreamer48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BigDreamer48  Online

@mialthefencer said:

@byondeon: The location definitely does change the outcome. It's true that there's infinite water and earth, but the default for most settings is limited water and unlimited earth, meaning that the South Pole is effectively an amp over her regular levels for Kya. That's why I supported Tonraq over Korra in a similar thread a few weeks ago (although IMO Tonraq > Kya in the South Pole).

Although thinking about it twice, I do think that the case for Korra winning is probably stronger then the case for Kya winning. She's physically superior and significantly more powerful. Kya doesn't really have the feats to take advantage of the setting because she hasn't fought in it, although I expect that if she were to have the opportunity to fight there she'd get those feats.

Yeah. I'm actually backing Korra too. Her earth feats are actually pretty good and she's more of a fighter. Although I admit Kya is very underrated, I'm thinking Korra can take this despite Kya's environmental advantage.

Edit: Just rewatched Kya's fight with Zaheer. I can see her taking this now, but I'd like to see a comparison of feats first.

geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 geekryan  Online

I'd love for someone to present any good earthbending feats for Korra.

Stormdriven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyone acts like bender fights turn into fist fights, as if durability and agility aren't the only ones that matter. Even still Korra doesn't have the unassisted agility feats to suggest it'll make any sort of difference considering the entire environment can be controlled by her opponent. So it's really only durability, which waterbending can circumvent.

geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 geekryan  Online

Everyone acts like bender fights turn into fist fights, as if durability and agility aren't the only ones that matter. Even still Korra doesn't have the unassisted agility feats to suggest it'll make any sort of difference considering the entire environment can be controlled by her opponent. So it's really only durability, which waterbending can circumvent.

This. The difference in speed is negligible. Kya kept up with both Zaheer and Ming Hua.

Korra's durability can only do so much for her, especially since waterbending can be used to incapacitate an opponent

MattyBoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kya.

ANTHP2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ANTHP2000  Online

@geekryan:

Her supposed most impressive showings I've seen often brought up originate from battles where she fluctuated between going in and out of the Avatar State, like against Unalaq or Kuvira's Colossus.

Clearly unassisted by the Avatar State, I would say we've seen her perform her best earthbending feats in Book 1, with the exception of metalbending. She showed decent enough power in all her scenes with Tarrlok, when she threatened him and the Police who were arresting non bending civilians, in their actual fight, and her escaping his hideout from Amon. Her fight with the Bandits alongside Asami in Book 3 was also decent enough, in my opinion, but it does not really compare to Kya's performance against the Red Lotus.

I've not seen her do anything Kya couldn't do better, restricted to earthbending.

geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 geekryan  Online

@geekryan:

Her supposed most impressive showings I've seen often brought up originate from battles where she fluctuated between going in and out of the Avatar State, like against Unalaq or Kuvira's Colossus.

Clearly unassisted by the Avatar State, I would say we've seen her perform her best earthbending feats in Book 1, with the exception of metalbending. She showed decent enough power in all her scenes with Tarrlok, when she threatened him and the Police who were arresting non bending civilians, in their actual fight, and her escaping his hideout from Amon. Her fight with the Bandits alongside Asami in Book 3 was also decent enough, in my opinion, but it does not really compare to Kya's performance against the Red Lotus.

I've not seen her do anything Kya couldn't do better, restricted to earthbending.

Definitely!

Most of Korra's earthbending attacks are quite telegraphed and/or require time to execute and reach the target. Like I said, her only chance is an environmental attack, but that isn't likely.

ANTHP2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ANTHP2000  Online

@geekryan: Yes, the setting practically nullifies the one advantage earthbending provides her with in this fight. We've seen nameless waterbenders are good enough to use environmental flash freezes in the Poles.

byondeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The location doesn't change the outcome at all. Kya's waterbending is not close to any of Korra's elements. Kya is underrated but she is also very overrated. She have access to more water, however her bending is still not going to affect it as she could still not bend more water than she can any other way with sufficient water. She has slightly more versatility I would say in other places honestly also, as there are mostly straight up flatland in the Pole...

I can't honestly see Kya winning this. She has less options in defending herself. The only real reason I can see her holding her own for a little bit longer in the fight is the amount of water she can use.

She also doesn't have the power to overwhelm Korra's defense and offense. Earthbending is the strongest element when it comes to defense.

Kya could possibly take 1/10 or 2/10. I don't think she takes more as Korra's power and skill is too much for Kya.

byondeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know that Korra have the exact amount of Earth to bend as Kya have water right?

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 juiceboks  Moderator

Backing Korra overall. I haven't been convinced that Kya's performances against the Red Lotus are enough to give her the advantage over Korra's superior showcased offensive and defensive bending power. The environment helps her more than it did in her previous fights but she hasn't really shown to utilize the water she's been given well enough to make much of a difference.

chloros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By chloros

I would take Kya for the majority in a great fight. Her durability is not the best (which she will have to watch out for), but I think her speed is better than what we typically give her credit for. Her two notable fights have been up against Zaheer and Ming-Hua (who is considered one of the fastest and most agile characters in both series). She's demonstrated waterarms, powerful water blasts, *rapid fire of ice shards, and an ice wall that has been able to block a boulder from Ghazan - it was broken after the second ones, but she also had no water left, which isn't the case here. She can also use ground based freezing moves, she nearly had Zaheer frozen before he jumped out of it. I think she has enough tools and power to win over an earthbending Korra.

*The ice shards attack reminded me of what Tarrlok used against Korra, she got hurt by some of them, but they were also coming out faster and in a larger quantity (he also had more water). Korra managed to put up a stone wall to block them, and then cut Tarrlok off from his water supply. That is not possible here since the water is endless and they are in an open space and not a confined room.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Korra takes it. She's more agile and durable, and I'm just more impressed with her as an earth bender than Kya as a water bender tbh. And I don't think the environment favors Kya much more than Korra either.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tagging @bigdreamer48 because you wanted to see some feats.

@geekryan said:

I'd love for someone to present any good earthbending feats for Korra.

Sure.

No Caption Provided

Here's the famous Colossus feat; lifting five car sized boulders up a building and launching them across a city block. Kya's not agile enough to dodge these sorts of attacks or powerful enough to block them.

No Caption Provided

Korra regularly uses these sorts of large, rolling earth waves, and as we saw against Tarrlok, mid-level waterbending doesn't have a great counter for them.

No Caption Provided

This. The difference in speed is negligible. Kya kept up with both Zaheer and Ming Hua.

And the difference in speed definitely isn't negligible. Kya was much slower then Zaheer (which is why he beat her easily once he started fighting back) and Ming Hua (which is why she got smacked around like a ragdoll once Ming got serious). Korra dodged the same number of attacks against Zaheer as Kya blocked (2)... while chained up:

No Caption Provided

I don't think speed is the end all be all in bending fights, which is why I sided with Kya initially (she's more versatile and probably has better environmental control in the South Pole), but it's a definite advantage for Korra, not a negligible one.

@stormdriven:

Everyone acts like bender fights turn into fist fights, as if durability and agility aren't the only ones that matter.

Hand to hand combat is reasonably common in smaller-scale bending fights like this one. Look at Suyin or Korra vs Kuvira, or Azula vs Zuko in Smoke and Shadow, or Unalaq vs Tonraq. Strength and hand to hand skill are less relevant then durability and agility, but they do matter. I'd also say that speed matters quite a bit, especially in LOK, and Korra is considerably faster.

Even still Korra doesn't have the unassisted agility feats to suggest it'll make any sort of difference considering the entire environment can be controlled by her opponent.

Korra was able to use her agility effectively against post-fusion Unalaq, a far better waterbender in every way then Kya, in this same environment:

No Caption Provided

Dodge out a casual pre-fusion Unalaq (also significantly above Kya) without bending in the Spirit World:

No Caption Provided

And dodge an attack with a far higher rate of fire and volume then anything Kya's shown from Tarrlok:

No Caption Provided

Kya might be able to tag her via environmental manipulation, but she doesn't have a lot of those sorts of feats because she lacks fights in the poles. Strictly by feats, Korra is a better environmental manipulator then Kya, although I give Kya the benefit of the doubt and am operating under the assumption that she'd be better then Korra in the poles.

geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 geekryan  Online

@mialthefencer:

No Caption Provided

Here's the famous Colossus feat; lifting five car sized boulders up a building and launching them across a city block. Kya's not agile enough to dodge these sorts of attacks or powerful enough to block them.

Korra has never used this kind of attack against another bender before. She did this against the Colossus to try and stagger it. It would also take a few second to even do this, which would leave her a sitting duck in the meantime.

This is by far her best earthbending feat, but it won't be useful in a 1v1 fight against another bender, especially one who is significantly smaller and more mobile than the Colossus lol.

Kya is fast enough to dodge multiple close-quarter attacks from Ming Hua, and she can slide around via water wave. Korra will have a very hard time tagging her with any sort of large earth projectile attack.

No Caption Provided

Korra regularly uses these sorts of large, rolling earth waves, and as we saw against Tarrlok, mid-level waterbending doesn't have a great counter for them.

These attacks are pretty telegraphed and involve a clearly visible wave of earth which can be leaped over or dodged with a water wave.

No Caption Provided

Since this fights takes place on a mostly horizontal battlefield, most of this is not applicable unless Kya is close to a vertical surface.

And the difference in speed definitely isn't negligible. Kya was much slower then Zaheer (which is why he beat her easily once he started fighting back) and Ming Hua (which is why she got smacked around like a ragdoll once Ming got serious). Korra dodged the same number of attacks against Zaheer as Kya blocked (2)... while chained up:

No Caption Provided

It is though. Korra isn't a speedster. Kya kept up with Zaheer for almost 30 seconds, dodging/blocking some of his attacks and tagging him more than once. Zaheer did take her out for a few seconds after tagging her once, but she recovered moments later and continued the fight. With Zaheer's second attack, the only reason he downed Kya was because she struck the foundation of a building face-first. His actual attack wasn't what downed her either.

Kya lasted several minutes against Ming Hua, who blitzed Desna & Eska and has owned Mako and Bolin. Kya dodged/blocked several of Ming Hua's attacks, tanked one of her projectiles, and kept fighting. She also stonewalled one earth boulder by Ghazan with a small ice wall, before it was destroyed by a second boulder. Korra's attack speed with earthbending is much, much slower than Zaheer and Ming Hua's attack speeds.

Zaheer completely embarrassed Tonraq while also having to deal with Korra's attacks, despite her being chained up. If you're going to try and downplay Zaheer, at least show what happened next:

No Caption Provided

Zaheer dodges a surprise attack by Korra FROM BEHIND, dodges her two subsequent fire attacks, and then downs her with an air blast. Before that, he had also dodged several of Zaheer's attacks:

No Caption Provided

Zaheer with flight also did pretty well against an enraged albeit poisoned AS-amped Korra. And kept up with Tenzin for several minutes.

I don't think speed is the end all be all in bending fights, which is why I sided with Kya initially (she's more versatile and probably has better environmental control in the South Pole), but it's a definite advantage for Korra, not a negligible one.

I fail to see how Korra, restricted to earthbending, has any speed advantage over Kya.

All of Korra's earthbending feats are either 1) not applicable in this circumstance, 2) telegraphed and/or slow and can therefore be blocked or dodged, or 3) require a few seconds to pull off and reach the target.

If Korra initiates the fight with an environmental attack, then she has a chance at winning. But that isn't a likely scenario.

Stormdriven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Stormdriven

@byondeon said:
@stormdriven said:

You know that Korra have the exact amount of Earth to bend as Kya have water right?

Korra has less avenues of manipulation for it, versus Kya having shown more omnidirecitonal usage as well as the nature of waterbending being more fluid anyway.

@stormdriven:

Everyone acts like bender fights turn into fist fights, as if durability and agility aren't the only ones that matter.

Hand to hand combat is reasonably common in smaller-scale bending fights like this one. Look at Suyin or Korra vs Kuvira, or Azula vs Zuko in Smoke and Shadow, or Unalaq vs Tonraq. Strength and hand to hand skill are less relevant then durability and agility, but they do matter. I'd also say that speed matters quite a bit, especially in LOK, and Korra is considerably faster.

Even still Korra doesn't have the unassisted agility feats to suggest it'll make any sort of difference considering the entire environment can be controlled by her opponent.

Korra was able to use her agility effectively against post-fusion Unalaq, a far better waterbender in every way then Kya, in this same environment:

No Caption Provided

Dodge out a casual pre-fusion Unalaq (also significantly above Kya) without bending in the Spirit World:

No Caption Provided

And dodge an attack with a far higher rate of fire and volume then anything Kya's shown from Tarrlok:

No Caption Provided

Kya might be able to tag her via environmental manipulation, but she doesn't have a lot of those sorts of feats because she lacks fights in the poles. Strictly by feats, Korra is a better environmental manipulator then Kya, although I give Kya the benefit of the doubt and am operating under the assumption that she'd be better then Korra in the poles.

There are a ton that don't go that way, look at Korra and Tarlokk, Azula and Katara, basically all of Zuko's and Aang's fights, all of Toph vs anyone, Tenzin vs the Red Lotus. What would you consider smaller scale, exactly? A one on one fight? Because she didn't do that against Zaheer either, and that was when she was in the Avatar state snapping chains and flipping boulders around. One tackle was their only physical contact.

Unalaq didn't take advantage of the environment, using only water whips and throwing water blasts. Hardly the same as Kya, who used a lot of freezing, waves, ice bolts, giant water rings, and whatever that water corkscrew attack was against Zaheer (larger scale type attack). She did those with much less water than she has available to her here. She's also got water slides at the very least to maneuver around better than Korra can.

Speed doesn't really mean as much as people think it does in Avatar, or else Katara would be a terrible bender. She's slow as a slug, yet she's one of the most dangerous benders in Avatar. Even going to LoK, Mako beat a bender much faster than him in Ming Hua. Speed helps, but the two I mentioned before are much more important. Without fire or airbending, Korra is going to have a tougher time dealing with what Kya puts out.

ANTHP2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ANTHP2000  Online

I simply cannot view Korra performing attacks of this scale above without looking at the context. There was discussion about it in this thread from @chloros, and I have yet to see good reasoning as to why Korra's greatest feats of power always happen to be in scenes of her entering the Avatar State, even though people tent to use them as unamplified feats. This showing, and another boulder launch shown in her fight with Unalaq just so happen to occur in the two major action sequences where she's making use of the Avatar State constantly, and the range and power she showed in both those times, is quite frankly absurd compared any her clear-cut unenhanced earthbending.

Even though it is not a sustained flash, we know that the effects do last for seconds, and we also know that the animators do not take the time and effort to highlight every single use of the Avatar State, because otherwise, everyone would have noticed she entered the Avatar State in this moment, without having to pinpoint a tiny, momentary frame, with half her face covered, to find out. I don't think it's fair to use every feat from her in such scenes that way; I'd rather rely on the moments when she is very clearly not using the Avatar State.

vengefulshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stormdriven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anthp2000: I know wikis aren’t always reliable, and I’m not sure what the source for their info was, but supposedly when the eyes flash and stop means an Avatar is using mastered Avatar state and is simply calling on the knowledge and power necessary to perform whatever feat they’re trying to accomplish without leaving them vulnerable to dying in the AS. So whatever feats Korra is doing would be considered the AS after the eyes flash.

I think it makes sense, but I have nothing credible to back it up with, so make of that what you will.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stormdriven:

There are a ton that don't go that way, look at Korra and Tarlokk, Azula and Katara, basically all of Zuko's and Aang's fights, all of Toph vs anyone, Tenzin vs the Red Lotus. What would you consider smaller scale, exactly? A one on one fight? Because she didn't do that against Zaheer either, and that was when she was in the Avatar state snapping chains and flipping boulders around. One tackle was their only physical contact.

None of this changes the fact that sometimes bending fights do involve hand to hand combat.

Unalaq didn't take advantage of the environment, using only water whips and throwing water blasts. Hardly the same as Kya, who used a lot of freezing, waves, ice bolts, giant water rings, and whatever that water corkscrew attack was against Zaheer (larger scale type attack).

None of these are environmental attacks except the freezing, which was slow with a visible projectile.

She did those with much less water than she has available to her here.

More water doesn't make Kya more powerful. She never used all of the water available to her in her fights, and she visibly needed effort to move her water rings against Zaheer, suggesting that was near her power ceiling.

She's also got water slides at the very least to maneuver around better than Korra can.

Korra's got earth jumps to compensate on top of her superior agility.

Speed doesn't really mean as much as people think it does in Avatar,

I tend to agree with this...

or else Katara would be a terrible bender. She's slow as a slug, yet she's one of the most dangerous benders in Avatar.

...but not this. Katara's repeatedly dodged and blocked lightning after it was fired, she's not slow in the slightest.

Even going to LoK, Mako beat a bender much faster than him in Ming Hua. Speed helps, but the two I mentioned before are much more important.

Kya lost against Zaheer because she wasn't fast enough. Not saying she'll lose against Korra for the same reason, but it's possible.

Without fire or airbending, Korra is going to have a tougher time dealing with what Kya puts out.

She will. But Kya's not powerful enough to destroy thick earth walls, fast enough to tag Korra with what she's shown (again, allowing for the possibility that she'd do better in the poles), and hasn't shown much in the way of environmental attacks.

@geekryan

Korra has never used this kind of attack against another bender before. She did this against the Colossus to try and stagger it. It would also take a few second to even do this, which would leave her a sitting duck in the meantime.

This is by far her best earthbending feat, but it won't be useful in a 1v1 fight against another bender, especially one who is significantly smaller and more mobile than the Colossus lol.

I agree. I don't think this fight will end with Korra crushing Kya with a car sized boulder.

Kya is fast enough to dodge multiple close-quarter attacks from Ming Hua, and she can slide around via water wave. Korra will have a very hard time tagging her with any sort of large earth projectile attack.

Why not? Ming Hua tagged her fine with ice projectile attacks:

No Caption Provided

Those are straightforward and not particularly fast or quickly spammed. Kya's agile for an old lady, but she's not that hard to tag.

These attacks are pretty telegraphed and involve a clearly visible wave of earth which can be leaped over or dodged with a water wave.

Agreed.

Since this fights takes place on a mostly horizontal battlefield, most of this is not applicable unless Kya is close to a vertical surface.

Sorry, that was a combined gif of a bunch of feats from her fight with Tarrlok. I was just showing that those sorts of attacks are difficult to block with waterbending, but you're right that they can be dodged.

It is though. Korra isn't a speedster.

I've never said that she is. But she's more or less comparable to Zaheer and Ming Hua in terms of speed, not Kya, and there's a serious (not necessarily insurmountable) gap between the two.

Kya kept up with Zaheer for almost 30 seconds, dodging/blocking some of his attacks and tagging him more than once.

This is true, but misleading. Here's the fight for reference:

Loading Video...

Kya "kept up with him" when he was running away, not fighting back, between 0:00 and 0:22. She lands all of her tags because she got him from behind while he flying away. As soon as he starts fighting back, he takes her down at 0:33, only 11 seconds after her initial slam when he was running away. She only lasted 11 seconds in the actual fight. She only blocked one attack at the very beginning of the fight (when Zaheer was focused on escape) and didn't dodge a single one.

Zaheer did take her out for a few seconds after tagging her once, but she recovered moments later and continued the fight.

Because the White Lotus sentries were there to stall Zaheer. If they hadn't been, he'd have been long gone by the time she got back up. In a 1v1 scenario, that would've been the end of it.

With Zaheer's second attack, the only reason he downed Kya was because she struck the foundation of a building face-first. His actual attack wasn't what downed her either.

You can't say that for sure, although it seems likely given her durability feats from her fight with Ming Hua. But that has less to do with speed and more to do with durability.

Kya lasted several minutes against Ming Hua, who blitzed Desna & Eska

No, Ming didn't. It was so fast I didn't realize it earlier, but Tektonic showed that E&D actually reacted to her after she left the ice spike field:

No Caption Provided

The main difference between her fight with E&D and her fight with Kya is that she immediately one shotted E&D with a flash freeze whereas she smacked around Kya with blunt force.

and has owned Mako and Bolin.

Ming never beat Bolin or the two of them at the same time. Korra evaded pre-fusion Unalaq, someone who actually has owned Mako and Bolin together, long enough for him to call in the spirits without her bending:

No Caption Provided

Kya dodged/blocked several of Ming Hua's attacks, tanked one of her projectiles, and kept fighting.

Korra's dodged, blocked, and tanked attacks from even stronger benders like Unalaq and Kuvira, and kept fighting.

She also stonewalled one earth boulder by Ghazan with a small ice wall, before it was destroyed by a second boulder.

This is a good feat, but Korra can of course launch much larger boulders.

Korra's attack speed with earthbending is much, much slower than Zaheer and Ming Hua's attack speeds.

So is Kya's attack speed with waterbending.

Zaheer completely embarrassed Tonraq while also having to deal with Korra's attacks, despite her being chained up. If you're going to try and downplay Zaheer, at least show what happened next:

Zaheer dodges a surprise attack by Korra FROM BEHIND, dodges her two subsequent fire attacks, and then downs her with an air blast. Before that, he had also dodged several of Zaheer's attacks:

Zaheer with flight also did pretty well against an enraged albeit poisoned AS-amped Korra. And kept up with Tenzin for several minutes.

I'm well aware of all of this, and I'm probably the last person on the site to downplay Zaheer. I'm obviously not claiming that chained Korra is a peer to Zaheer in speed, I was comparing her to Kya in terms of how they dealt with Zaheer's attacks.

I fail to see how Korra, restricted to earthbending, has any speed advantage over Kya.

Korra has much better reflexes and agility then Kya does. And she can pretty easily attack with fast boulders from below:

I'm confident can't react to that the way Kuvira could.
I'm confident can't react to that the way Kuvira could.

All of Korra's earthbending feats are either 1) not applicable in this circumstance, 2) telegraphed and/or slow and can therefore be blocked or dodged, or 3) require a few seconds to pull off and reach the target.

Look at the above boulder and tell me that's telegraphed or slow.

If Korra initiates the fight with an environmental attack, then she has a chance at winning. But that isn't a likely scenario.

Kya can't beat her immediately. Korra's got plenty of time to bust out earth walls, attacks from the side, environmental boulders like I just posted, and similar moves, and I do think she'd be able to tag Kya even if she did nothing more then spam boulders.

ANTHP2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ANTHP2000  Online

@stormdriven: Actually, scroll down in the thread I linked. Chloros posted a statement from the writers confirming what you just described upon discussing the topic.

geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 geekryan  Online

@mialthefencer: Rather than reply to your arguments, I have a better idea. Want to CaV it?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geekryan said:

@mialthefencer: Rather than reply to your arguments, I have a better idea. Want to CaV it?

I'm willing, but only if we finish CM vs Kuvira first.

geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 geekryan  Online

@mialthefencer: I’m not interested in completing that one at the moment. I’d be very interested in this one though. But if you aren’t confident in Korra beating Kya when restricted to earthbending only, we don’t need to do it :)

Aystarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geekryan said:

@mialthefencer: I’m not interested in completing that one at the moment. I’d be very interested in this one though. But if you aren’t confident in Korra beating Kya when restricted to earthbending only, we don’t need to do it :)

If you end up doing it, tag me

Aystarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stormdriven: Katara is not slow at all, yeah she's not the fastest, but based purely on feats alone, she's up there in speed and coupled with her having one of the best in-verse reaction time, she can keep up with almost anyone.

no one has ever won a fight with katara because of their speed before. as I've been asking since the beginning of time(which I still haven't gotten an answer for), what gives y'all the notion that katara is slow ?.

Cuz none of her battles has ever reflected that.

Aystarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mialthefencer: @anthp2000: as for the AS powerup issue

this was why I didn't put post unalaq as a seperate character in the rankings, a master avatar doesn't use the glow all through when powered up, As seen from korra multiple times and aang, although after the glow, unalaq did fight for quite a while making it hard to know if it was under the influence of the AS or his own capabilities (as seen when he later needed to glow again to match korra's waterarm), I always find myself switching opinions on this. So I decided that in order to avoid that argument, his prefusion form should be used. I think the answer remains inconclusive (as long as the attack or feat isn't immediately done after the glow).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geekryan said:

I'm not that confident lol. My first instinct was to back Kya.

geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 geekryan  Online

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aystarr said:

as for the AS powerup issue

this was why I didn't put post unalaq as a seperate character in the rankings, a master avatar doesn't use the glow all through when powered up, As seen from korra multiple times and aang, although after the glow, unalaq did fight for quite a while making it hard to know if it was under the influence of the AS or his own capabilities (as seen when he later needed to glow again to match korra's waterarm), I always find myself switching opinions on this. So I decided that in order to avoid that argument, his prefusion form should be used. I think the answer remains inconclusive (as long as the attack or feat isn't immediately done after the glow).

I don't think it's an issue with Unalaq because I don't believe his eyes ever glow between the very beginning of the fight (where he was flying lol) and the tug of war (if someone finds an instance, I'd change my stance). With Korra, she was flashing in and out, which makes it harder. There are some feats from the fight that I think are legit because of corroboration from clearly unamped feats, like her airspout and her firebending, but her two big earthbending feats from that fight were both amped by the glow.

IMO, telling whether things were amped or unamped is mainly a problem for that fight and for little else, just because the house doing the animation for S2 was different (and sloppier) then the house doing the animation for the other seasons of Avatar (both AtLA and LOK), which tended to make things more obvious.

Aystarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ROUND 2 ADDED- KORRA HAS FIREBENDING ONLY

@chloros: @vengefulshot: @rijehu: @byondeon: @masma94: @bigdreamer48:@aystarr: @anthp2000: @emmafrostxmen: @quinlan58: @crater_maker: @indomitableregal: @captain_narlowe: @king-ragnar: @stefano: @mialthefencer: @incursion2:@psi-bite234:@freestyler1999::@co-boss:@cpt_nice: @marvelfan1992: @viking1205: @thekeys: @mrgetmebodied: @thebuckaronatr: @shepardoakenprime: @arcus1: @darthfallax:

dratini1331@joewell@strictlyanime@nighthunder@rbt

@rogueshadow@norrinboltagonprime21@pr0metheus@sophia89@princearagorn1@ssj_god@lvenger

@princearagorn1@homicidalmaniac@ssj_god

@redbird3rdboywonder@pierpat@knightofzero

@dccomicsrule2011@lunacyde@sophia89@@geekryan @emmafrostxmen @norrinboltagonprime21@pr0metheus@sophia89@princearagorn1@lvenger

@funsiized@ssj_god@jmarshmallow

@dccomicsrule2011@lunacyde@etheral_dreams

@killerwasp@kidphillip@aressword@wbr17@korraspirit@jr_avatarexpert@dextersinister@thunderbolt30@nighthunder@metaljimmor@spartankobe@jacthripper@primebonnick@gizmorino@rijehu@myerlanski@koays@useyourname@stormdriven@hypnosis@pirateking@mitcheii@deranged_midget@abyssdarkfire@hatemalingsia@arv993@dreadpool10@batking200@sirneko@loklegends@kingvenus@marvelfan1992@martinceld@therapist1

@thenewbluebeetle007@darkdefender@hulkage@linark@just_banter@soduh2@justicethorpsylocke

@lukehero@xxxcarzellxxx@pierpat@zukolicious@jrazor@theavatarguruu@pooty@joewell

@major_hellstorm@viren809@shepardoakenprime@blacklegraph@anthp2000

@amendment50: @king22@gothamciti:@tarutaru@kigretheviking @thebuckaronatr @crimson-feather @shepardoakenprime @jdogg @gunchar1@deathhero61@gothamciti@justicethorpsylocke itachus17@major_hellstrom@captain_narlowe

ANTHP2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ANTHP2000  Online

While Korra would be better off with firebending, I'm still overall more impressed by Kya, to be honest. I could see Korra winning in a neutral setting, but importantly enough, this setting favors waterbenders and weakens firebenders.

byondeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By byondeon

Korra stomp.. AGAIN..

She does with any one element

BigDreamer48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By BigDreamer48  Online

I think that makes the setting even more in Kya's favor. Firebenders in the North Pole versus a decent, or even pretty skilled waterbender are not going to do well. Korra would beat her with air, water, maybe even earth, or in a neutral setting, but honestly, fire might make it worse since waterbenders generally do well against firebenders, especially in an arena like this.

Korra has a better defense with earth, and although her offense with fire is pretty impressive, Kya is pretty skilled too. Curious to see what people think.

geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 geekryan  Online

Kya still takes both rounds. The only single element Korra could beat Kya with is water, or maybe any 2 elements from air, fire, and earth.