No Caption Provided

Fight to the death.

DeathHero61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Uh doesn't Constantine eat people like Danny for breakfast?

Vertigo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

ew...new52 John

Avatar image for heirtothekingdom
HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathhero61 said:

He relies on prep pretty heavily as is my understanding. I believe Vertigo Constantine has been beaten by thugs in random encounters (or so I've been told). I haven't heard anything about new 52.

Vertigo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: John's level of h2h fighting in Vertigo varies between writers, but he's not a overly skilled h2h fighter and generally uses dirty tactics. But then again, that's not really his forte. As for new52, he's not bad figuring things out by the skin of his teeth. He fought a fellow mage in China, where she was strongest (she had her place of power at the time) and IIRC, he managed to cut her off from it mid-combat adn defeat her. I dropped post-flashpoint John though, so I don't know where he stands

HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: John's level of h2h fighting in Vertigo varies between writers, but he's not a overly skilled h2h fighter and generally uses dirty tactics. But then again, that's not really his forte. As for new52, he's not bad figuring things out by the skin of his teeth. He fought a fellow mage in China, where she was strongest (she had her place of power at the time) and IIRC, he managed to cut her off from it mid-combat adn defeat her. I dropped post-flashpoint John though, so I don't know where he stands

John was also doing some impressive things during Justice League Dark and Forever Evil.

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Danny easy, John doesn't operate how people think he does.

Also

ew...new52 John

Vertigo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Vertigo-

@heirtothekingdom: he was, but for the life of me, I can't recall very much of what he did outside of stealing Shazam's powers temporarily in a Trinity War tie in (I dropped new52 John months ago). I liked JLD initially, but it just got worse as it went on imo. As for his Forever Evil stuff, that was decent. He also made Wotan cut himself in half during his first solo series, which was badass, on top of casting a universal level spell in order to fool Darkseid (but it took a massive amount of power for John to do that)

HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heirtothekingdom: he was, but for the life of me, I can't recall very much of what he did outside of stealing Shazam's powers temporarily in a Trinity War tie in (I dropped new52 John months ago). I liked JLD initially, but it just got worse as it went on imo. As for his Forever Evil stuff, that was decent. He also made Wotan cut himself in half during his first solo series, which was badass, on top of casting a universal level spell in order to fool Darkseid (but it took a massive amount of power for John to do that)

I liked Justice League Dark, it was my favourite title during the New 52 alongside Wonder Woman, however, I can see why someone wouldn't like it. The story-line did get quite confusing and such as things went on. I do remember those three feats you mentioned, and one another one he accomplished in Swamp-Thing #23, where he was able to cut off Swamp-Thing from the Green. Only reason Swam-Thing got his connection back is because he knocked John out using a poppy to spray a knockout gas, and even doing so took everything he had.

I did happen to stumble across a respect thread for him, here's the link. Plenty of great feats here, I would say enough to say he can defeat someone like Danny soundly. New 52 Constantine Respect Thread - John Constantine - Comic Vine

Vertigo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heirtothekingdom: Eh, certain arcs in Justice League Dark were better then others to me (intro arc was better then the books of magic arc as an example), and the series took a nosedive for me once John left the team. That feat against Swamp Thing is great though.

HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heirtothekingdom: Eh, certain arcs in Justice League Dark were better then others to me (intro arc was better then the books of magic arc as an example), and the series took a nosedive for me once John left the team. That feat against Swamp Thing is great though.

Fair enough, John was always the focus point of the team, though Swamp-Thing was always my favourite among them.

Vertigo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackestnight93 said:

Fair enough, John was always the focus point of the team, though Swamp-Thing was always my favourite among them.

yeah, they pushed Zatanna too soon for my tastes, although how John went out was odd, given how his character is. Just felt weird, especially once I got a better understanding of his character through his vertigo series. Made me realize how much DC shit the bed when they moved him into their verse. Swamp Thing has always interested me, mostly due to his concept. It's so darn interesting

HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heirtothekingdom said:
@blackestnight93 said:

yeah, they pushed Zatanna too soon for my tastes, although how John went out was odd, given how his character is. Just felt weird, especially once I got a better understanding of his character through his vertigo series. Made me realize how much DC shit the bed when they moved him into their verse. Swamp Thing has always interested me, mostly due to his concept. It's so darn interesting

Agreed, they could've introduced her a little later on in the story as she wasn't necessarily needed in the beginning, not to mention they were forcing her and John's relationship a little too hard. DC could have done a better job with John, I can see the differences from his Vertigo days to the DC ones. As for Swamp-Thing, his new 52 series is a must read, it was amazing alongside Animal Man's.

Vertigo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackestnight93 said:
@heirtothekingdom said:
@blackestnight93 said:

Agreed, they could've introduced her a little later on in the story as she wasn't necessarily needed in the beginning, not to mention they were forcing her and John's relationship a little too hard. DC could have done a better job with John, I can see the differences from his Vertigo days to the DC ones. As for Swamp-Thing, his new 52 series is a must read, it was amazing alongside Animal Man's.

I've been meaning to check out Swamp Thing (both Vertigo and mainstream DC). I haven't read much with Animal Man, but reading through an old CaV of yours as well as Beatboks1 repping the classic AM makes me think of him as an interesting character and could possibly put him on my list.

HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heirtothekingdom said:
@blackestnight93 said:
@heirtothekingdom said:
@blackestnight93 said:

I've been meaning to check out Swamp Thing (both Vertigo and mainstream DC). I haven't read much with Animal Man, but reading through an old CaV of yours as well as Beatboks1 repping the classic AM makes me think of him as an interesting character and could possibly put him on my list.

To be honest, I haven't read Vertigo Swamp-Thing, but given that I like the DC version, I think I'll like the other as well. As for Animal Man, it's a mus read if you like family books similar to Rebirth: Superman. I have to say, Animal Man is probably my favourite DC character alongside Orion.

Vertigo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be honest, I haven't read Vertigo Swamp-Thing, but given that I like the DC version, I think I'll like the other as well. As for Animal Man, it's a mus read if you like family books similar to Rebirth: Superman. I have to say, Animal Man is probably my favourite DC character alongside Orion.

I didn't like Rebirth Superman lol. Superman just isn't the type of character I can get invested in despite multiple tries at reading post crisis, post flashpoint and rebirth Superman. Makes me kinda worried if I wanna get into PF Animal Man

HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't like Rebirth Superman lol. Superman just isn't the type of character I can get invested in despite multiple tries at reading post crisis, post flashpoint and rebirth Superman. Makes me kinda worried if I wanna get into PF Animal Man

Damn, lol. To be fair, he's not like Superman, I only referred to family man because he's written with his family, but that's pretty much as far as the similarities go. Baker isn't like Kal, he'll literally kill for his family unlike the boy scout, and the story is much more interesting than Superman's, so there is that as well.

Vertigo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackestnight93 said:

Damn, lol. To be fair, he's not like Superman, I only referred to family man because he's written with his family, but that's pretty much as far as the similarities go. Baker isn't like Kal, he'll literally kill for his family unlike the boy scout, and the story is much more interesting than Superman's, so there is that as well.

As long as the storytelling is up to par. My recent readings have upped my standards a bit lol

HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heirtothekingdom said:
@blackestnight93 said:

As long as the storytelling is up to par. My recent readings have upped my standards a bit lol

For sure it is, lol!