No Caption Provided

• TV versions
  • Jaime Lannister has both hands (as he was in season 1), a sword and armor
  • Current Brienne
  • No head protection
  • Fight to incap or death

Who wins?

#2 Posted by Atomickitten15 (120 posts) - - Show Bio

Given that this is a relatively realistic fight, equipment is pretty vital. It may be worth mentioning how each side is equipped.

e.g If Brienne is in full plate, then Jaime can't even get through her defence and would be slaughtered.

#3 Posted by BladeOfFury (3285 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Posted by KingCrimson (5797 posts) - - Show Bio

By feats Brienne beats him, by statements Jamie wins.

#5 Posted by Atomickitten15 (120 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think that even show Brienne would be able to take Jaime.

Jaime is an insane prodigy and barely anyone stands a chance against him in a fair fight.

#6 Posted by Chubbs (940 posts) - - Show Bio

Jaime 10/10

#7 Posted by BladeOfFury (3285 posts) - - Show Bio
@chubbs said:

Jaime 10/10

What makes you say it's so one-sided? What did Jaime do to put him so far above her?

#8 Posted by Aka_aka_aka_ak (3211 posts) - - Show Bio

By reputation it should be Jaime hands down, but given that he said three fighters might stand a chance against him, one of which was presumably The Hound (I guess the three were Barristan and the Cleganes) and in the show Brienne is about The Hound level, this suggests Brienne would stand a chance. I'll still go Jaime but it'll be a much harder fight than Ned gave him and Jaime wasn't able to finish that quickly

#9 Posted by Namebk (813 posts) - - Show Bio

Jaime in a good fight.

#10 Posted by the_red_viper (12863 posts) - - Show Bio

Jaime.

#11 Edited by IAmTheLaw (856 posts) - - Show Bio

By reputation it should be Jaime hands down, but given that he said three fighters might stand a chance against him, one of which was presumably The Hound (I guess the three were Barristan and the Cleganes) and in the show Brienne is about The Hound level, this suggests Brienne would stand a chance. I'll still go Jaime but it'll be a much harder fight than Ned gave him and Jaime wasn't able to finish that quickly

This. Jaime is the third best fighter in Game of Thrones lore behind Arthur Dayne and Barristan Selmy. Brienne has a chance because of her physical ability but she's firmy entrenched behind people like them and I'd argue The Hound / Mountain.

Also SPOILER FOR THE LAST EPISODE

I thought it was hilarious that Brienne "survived the fight with the Hound" when she also survived fighting Jaime. He didn't take offense though

#12 Posted by FaradaySloth (10608 posts) - - Show Bio

Good fight, but logically Jaime should win.

#13 Posted by Jotun (239 posts) - - Show Bio

Brienne does wield a Valaryian Steel sword, an advantage not to be underestimated. I think Jaime would win though, but it’s entirely possible for Brienne to break his sword and win that way.

#14 Edited by dark_globe (682 posts) - - Show Bio

jaime is more naturally skilled , but in tv show he is all hype and no feats :
he didn´t even beat ned 1v1 : we can speculate he would probably win should the fight continue but he was never dominating ned on screen .

jaime would beat season 1 brienne but i´m not that sure he would beat more experienced and battle hardened season 8 brienne wielding valyrian steel sword .
if i have to choose i would still give him the slight majority based on reputation surrounding him like 6-6.5/10 .

#15 Edited by Paytience (5146 posts) - - Show Bio

@jotun: Widow's wail is Valyrian steel as well. They were both made from Ice...

By show performances it's close, but Jamie has WoG on his side.

#16 Edited by dark_globe (682 posts) - - Show Bio

@paytience said:

@jotun: Widow's wail is Valyrian steel as well. They were both made from Ice...

By show performances it's close, but Jamie has WoG on his side.

season 1 jaime didn´t have valyrian steel sword yet .
and Ice was still in tact by that time .

remember this is s1 jaime vs s8 brienne .

#17 Posted by Paytience (5146 posts) - - Show Bio

@dark_globe: Op says Jaime is like season 1, not his equipment.

#18 Edited by dark_globe (682 posts) - - Show Bio

@paytience said:

@dark_globe: Op says Jaime is like season 1, not his equipment.

i think that implies his s1 gear as well (hence the picture: OP even states he has a"sword" not valyrian sword just sword) .

but it is open to interpretation i guess .

#19 Posted by shirso (4636 posts) - - Show Bio

He was pressuring her even with his hands tied and exhausted from being Robb's prisoner.

Jaime stomps.

#20 Posted by WollfMyth209 (17017 posts) - - Show Bio

Brienne, honestly.

#21 Edited by Redshift_Bacon (876 posts) - - Show Bio

If they both have Full-Plate (Jamie gets his KingsGuard armor) then Jamie wins in a stomp/spite. He pressed her when Malnourished and Rusty from being a war prisoner for almost 2 years, and his hands were shackled, and Brienne was in full plate while he had ragged robes, plus he didn't have to worry about defending himself because Brienne even said that she swore an oath to not kill him. Soooo, that about sums it up.

Brienne is good but she is still below fighters like Barriston and 2-Handed Jamie. She defeated the Hound yes, but the Hound was suffering from an infection that made him Weaker and Slower as stated by himself and Arya, and even then she struggled and only won because it was the Hounds back to the cliff and not hers.

Brienne >/= Weakened Hound

2-Handed Jamie > Full-Strength Hound.

#22 Posted by Buckstop (115 posts) - - Show Bio

Jaime.

#23 Posted by Aristeaus (1225 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably Brienne. She also trounced Knight of Flowers, who himself is incredibly skillful, and he didn't take it easy on her because he didn't know she was even a woman.

Its close though. Neither one of them is leaving untouched.

#24 Posted by MetalJimmor (6579 posts) - - Show Bio

Brienne was being pressed hard by an unarmored Jaime who was malnourished, unpracticed, and who had his hands shackled together.

Jaime would defeat her fairly soundly at full condition just based on that. Once you add his accolades and off-screen feats it is no match.

#25 Posted by Paytience (5146 posts) - - Show Bio

@Aristeaus: The same knight of flowers who never advanced far enough to actually face Jamie, iirc.

#26 Edited by Aristeaus (1225 posts) - - Show Bio

@Aristeaus: The same knight of flowers who never advanced far enough to actually face Jamie, iirc.

He actually defeated Jaime in joust. That was the whole betting of the catspaw dagger in season 1. Baelish explains it.

#27 Edited by Bearderby (475 posts) - - Show Bio

2 handed prime Jaime wins, the battle won't even last a minute

Avatar image for consciouskeeper
#28 Posted by Consciouskeeper (2580 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

#29 Posted by WhatamIseeing (1695 posts) - - Show Bio

Jaime. Plot is the only reason Brienne beat the hound

#30 Posted by The_Titan_Lord (9480 posts) - - Show Bio

😂

#31 Posted by Tony_Shark (2121 posts) - - Show Bio

Id say Jaime in a good fight.

Brienne is still a really good fighter and her physical edge gives her an advantage.

however, primea Jaime is very skilled and superior.

Oberyn vs Mountain is proof that a physical edge isn't always an advantage

#32 Posted by KingogKings777 (2264 posts) - - Show Bio
#33 Posted by Paytience (5146 posts) - - Show Bio

@Aristeaus: I stand corrected.

Did Brienne beat him in jousting? Also, are Jamie and Brienne jousting?

#34 Posted by Aristeaus (1225 posts) - - Show Bio

@Aristeaus: I stand corrected.

Did Brienne beat him in jousting? Also, are Jamie and Brienne jousting?

Brienne beat Loras in front of Renly in ground combat. Thats when she asked to be a member of his kingsguard.

Jousting is the on horse lance thing. The goal being to unseat your opponent from their horse. Loras also beat the Mountain at jousting, but he used a trick ( horse in heat ).

While it is not at all the same thing as ground combat, it does show applicable skill and training to be able to best Jaime at it. In Baelish's explanation of the Catspaw Dagger, he explains he "bet on Ser Jaime as any sane man would".

#35 Edited by Paytience (5146 posts) - - Show Bio

@Aristeaus: I know what jousting is and I know what Brienne beat Renley in. Point being a victory against Renley with a sword isn't at all comparable to Jamie, and Renley's jousting victory is irrelevant since no one here is jousting.

It's also relevant to point out that Baelish was lying about Cat's Paw.

#36 Posted by BladeOfFury (3285 posts) - - Show Bio

@redshift_bacon: Just some corrections.

Brienne having plate armour was irrelevant, considering Jaimie never tagged her. Jaimie’s hands being cuffed wasn’t really a handicap either, considering that it is actually better to hold a sword with both hands (greater control and power). We have seen prime Jaimie in only one fight, against Ned, and he held his sword with both hands throughout it. Plus, Brienne’s unwillingness to kill or hurt Jaimie speaks to her combat prowess, not his.

And something to note about her fight with the Hound, she actually defeated him earlier in the fight, less than a minute in. She had her sword up to his face, but was not willing to kill him. This gave him the chance to disarm her, and the fight ensued hand to hand.

#37 Posted by KingLouie (3567 posts) - - Show Bio

Feats vs Statements

#38 Posted by GateOfBabylon (4561 posts) - - Show Bio

Since it's TV show versions, it's kind of a 50/50 to me. Brienne beating a tired and injured Hound is still a pretty good feat. But still willing to back Jaime since Brienne still hasn't beaten anyone noteworthy that wasn't handicapped in some way.

If it's book versions then it's Jaime without a doubt.

#39 Posted by AsianAntics (740 posts) - - Show Bio

Jaime easily.

#40 Posted by Aristeaus (1225 posts) - - Show Bio

@Aristeaus: I know what jousting is and I know what Brienne beat Renley in. Point being a victory against Renley with a sword isn't at all comparable to Jamie, and Renley's jousting victory is irrelevant since no one here is jousting.

It's also relevant to point out that Baelish was lying about Cat's Paw.

You say that... but you just used Renly's name 3 times when it was Loras.

#41 Edited by rogueshadow (29416 posts) - - Show Bio

Show Jaime is at least rivalled by Ned as per D&D. An (albeit highly skilled) individual who had not seen live combat for close to a decade and is past his prime. GoT Jaime is not the peerless fighter he was in the books in my opinion, just exceptionally good.

Weakened/cuffed/malnourised Jaime didn't pressure Brienne a great deal on the show, whereas in the books it was an absolute slog despite his physical state that still relied on his arrogance and a fluke, with it taking everything Brienne had to survive.

#42 Posted by the_red_viper (12863 posts) - - Show Bio

@Aristeaus: I will just mention that Jorah Mormont also beat Jaime in a joust prior to the show's events (he actually stalemated him for 17 rounds and was given the win but oh well). You wouldn't give Jorah a win over Jaime in a swordfight now would you?

Avatar image for swordofdamocles
#43 Edited by SwordofDamocles (327 posts) - - Show Bio

Going by book/unseen in the show feats, Jaime.

Going by show feats only,without assumption/statement That would be very close.

Avatar image for swordofdamocles
#44 Posted by SwordofDamocles (327 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_red_viper: Yeah, even the Slave traidor stated joust could not be compare with actual fighting.

I think ppl underestimate Jaime in the show because Jaime VS Ned.

#45 Posted by azrael1973 (2970 posts) - - Show Bio
#46 Posted by AzureAmaterasu (503 posts) - - Show Bio

Can Jaime beat the mountain ? I feel like he wouldn't, can Brienne ? Yes yes she can...Does this mean Jaime loses ? Probably not necessarily this is a kind of ABC logic but still Brienne has shown a kind of hardiness that even Jaime will have a hard time with but since he is faster and probably more skilled he should win. 6-7/10

#47 Edited by Richard96 (5824 posts) - - Show Bio

Jaime, with trouble.

#49 Posted by thatduderox (1031 posts) - - Show Bio

Show Jaime doesn't really have a lot of feats to go on. It's all statements for the most part. So going by that, I'll have to give it to Brienne based off of what the show has visually showed us. By reputation, Jaime is a beast, we just never visually saw it in the show.

#50 Posted by lubub55 (12979 posts) - - Show Bio

Jaime and I don't think it's really debatable.