• 165 results
#151 Edited by Thelastwarrior (210 posts) - - Show Bio

@totu said:

@the_red_viper: I am only saying that the way all those fights where presented, they presented an Egyptian dominating everyone right from the begining, like a sort of an unstopable killing machine.

The only exception was his encounter with Spartacus, when he was quickly wounded and thrown to the ground with Spartacus having the upper hand and the Egyptian apparently being saved by the Roman soldiers closing in.

It was a clear difference between the representations of his fights with all the others and that one vs Spartacus

The Egyptian face 4 champion of capua Only one was able to dominate him in 1vs1 spartacus :)

I Totaly Agree with you.

#152 Posted by Six-Deuce (173 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_red_viper:

@thelastwarrior said:
@the_red_viper said:

You know you're done with a debate once you can copy/paste your previous post and have it fit perfectly as a counter.

It's true. But its certainly does not work in this situation :)
I prove to you spartacus was the only one able Able to surpass the Egyptian in 1vs1
YES it does not kill him But it's just because of the Roman reinforcements surprise him
(You can see spartacus prepare to finish the egyptian with his sword But he stops his move when he see the renforcement )
No Caption Provided
@totu said:

@the_red_viper: I am only saying that the way all those fights where presented, they presented an Egyptian dominating everyone right from the begining, like a sort of an unstopable killing machine.

The only exception was his encounter with Spartacus, when he was quickly wounded and thrown to the ground with Spartacus having the upper hand and the Egyptian apparently being saved by the Roman soldiers closing in.

It was a clear difference between the representations of his fights with all the others and that one vs Spartacus

Well you're talking about a general impression you got from the scenes. Regardless of that though, the Egyptian only took one wound that wasn't even very severe and was already halfway getting up with weapon in hand by the time Spartacus noticed that he has to run away. Oenomaus, who is undoubtedly on the same ballpark as Spartacus, was able to inflict a far more serious injury on the Egyptian (whether it was only because the Egyptian was focused on Gannicus or not is hardly relevant), but the Egyptian still recovered quickly and killed him, so it's totally plausible that it would have ended the same way against Spartacus if the fight continued.

It is plausible that the Egyptian could have changed circumstances with some feat of skill. It is also obvious that he was being dominated at the time. As long as we are playing with hypotheticals, it is possible Jaime and Bronn win this match by way of Maester Qyburn shenanigans.

#153 Posted by The_Red_Viper (9985 posts) - - Show Bio

@six-deuce: The thing is, that he already did it against someone whose skill is comparable to Spartacus's own and despite a far worse injury. The fight was far from over.

#154 Posted by Six-Deuce (173 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_red_viper: This is evidence that you are again lowballing Spartacus' skill level. Also, luck plays a part in fights...could be Spartacus was lucky in this exchange from the onset.....it is pure speculation to say that the Egyptian was just about to get up and lay a beatdown on Spartacus given the disadvantageous position he was in when the principes arrived as reinforcement.

#155 Posted by The_Red_Viper (9985 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_red_viper: This is evidence that you are again lowballing Spartacus' skill level. Also, luck plays a part in fights...could be Spartacus was lucky in this exchange from the onset.....it is pure speculation to say that the Egyptian was just about to get up and lay a beatdown on Spartacus given the disadvantageous position he was in when the principes arrived as reinforcement.

It's not lowballing, the fact remains that the Egyptian has a feat of doing exactly what I'm suggesting he could have done against Spartacus. Are you suggesting Oenomaus is so far below Spartacus that it makes the feat I'm talking about moot? Oenomaus might be not as skilled (and maybe he is), but he's definitely in the same tier as Spartacus, it wouldn't surprise me to see either of them beating the other in a fight.

Look again, the Egyptian was starting to get up and had his weapon in a protective position by the time Spartacus saw the reinforcements coming. There's literally nothing that would have prevente him from doing the exact same thing he did against Oenomaus.

Loading Video...

#156 Posted by Six-Deuce (173 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_red_viper: It is lowballing sir. Yes, the Egyptian has a feat against oenomaus who is (all things being equal) in the ballpark of Spartacus. Oenomaus did not strike the Egyptian in the stomach with his blade when the Egyptian pulled that exact same move however. Either Spartacus outskilled the Egyptian in the sequence we observed or he was much faster as compared to Oenomaus. I believe Oenomaus was not fighting at his best from what I remember of that season but I could be wrong.

I agree that the Egyptian could have pulled some hack spin move and somehow recovered, but it is indisputable that the writers/choreagraphers planned to portray the Spartacus character getting the upper hand there. Furthermore.....weapon in a defensive position or not....the Egyptian did not choose to be in the prone position with a sword wielding opponent hovering over him.

#157 Posted by The_Red_Viper (9985 posts) - - Show Bio

@six-deuce: Not only did Oenomaus was fighting at his best, it was actually his second encounter with the Egyptian. The Egyptian nearly killed him in the first so Oenomaus knew exactly how dangerous he is. And he not only injured the Egyptian in the stomach, he inflicted a deeper cut than Spartacus did and he punched him there to draw even more blood as well. And the Egyptian still killed him. Of course the Egyptian didn't choose to be on the ground but he didn't choose to be severely injured by Oenomaus either. All Spartacus did was put him at a momentary disadvantage in a fight that lasted about 10 seconds and then ran away. Choosing to use it as a feat of skill and saying that "Spartacus is the only one who beat the Egyptian" is flat out wrong and ignoring the fact that the Egyptian was ready to fight back and that he recovered from far worse in the past. Guessing what the producers intended to convey is mighty fine but it's still just guesswork, unlike on-screen feats which are indisputable. And it isn't lowballing. Despite what you seem to think, your precious Spartacus is not some immortal and unbeatable god and saying that he didn't win a fight which was factually far from over is not "lowballing", it's stating a fact.

#158 Posted by Six-Deuce (173 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_red_viper: I did not say Spartacus is the only one to beat the Egyptian, you are quoting someone else. I would say Spartacus got the upper hand in their exchange, and that is indisputable. Spartacus is not "precious" to me....I do not even like him. I vastly prefer even Hot Pie to Spartacus as GoT is a better show/story by every conceivable metric in my opinion. I am however fair, and do not grasp at straws desperately due to my status as a fan. You are doing/have done exactly that. I have already conceded that the Egyptian could have recovered....but we can only judge based off what we see, and we saw Spartacus blocking, slicing, and knocking the Egyptian to the ground....it is likely (not certain) Spartacus would have finished him if not interrupted.

You should make a conscience effort to remain fair in your analysis when GoT characters are involved. I will do the same if we ever discuss early novel Conan of which I am a big fan.

#159 Posted by The_Red_Viper (9985 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_red_viper: I did not say Spartacus is the only one to beat the Egyptian, you are quoting someone else. I would say Spartacus got the upper hand in their exchange, and that is indisputable. Spartacus is not "precious" to me....I do not even like him. I vastly prefer even Hot Pie to Spartacus as GoT is a better show/story by every conceivable metric in my opinion. I am however fair, and do not grasp at straws desperately due to my status as a fan. You are doing/have done exactly that. I have already conceded that the Egyptian could have recovered....but we can only judge based off what we see, and we saw Spartacus blocking, slicing, and knocking the Egyptian to the ground....it is likely (not certain) Spartacus would have finished him if not interrupted.

You should make a conscience effort to remain fair in your analysis when GoT characters are involved. I will do the same if we ever discuss early novel Conan of which I am a big fan.

I never said Spartacus didn't get an upper hand against Egyptian, he obviously did. All I'm saying is that it can't be used to say that Spartacus "beat" him, because the fight was far from over, as you agree. That was my original response regarding the issue:

Regarding the Egyptian, Spartacus never beat him. He drew first blood and ran away. Oenomaus drew first blood when he fought the Egyptian as well, but the Egyptian still killed him. If Spartacus would not have fled, the Egyptian could have beaten him.

I'm perfectly fair here. I take a feat of confirmed skill performed by the Egyptian which is 100% applicable in this situation and drawing the appropriate conclusions. It's pretty evident that you are the one with strong bias in here. I have backed up each and every one of my claims with at least one feat, some of those feats you literally just ignored. You can ask anyone of the veteran users here, I never let bias cloud my judgement in a debate.

#160 Edited by totu (267 posts) - - Show Bio

Man, by the way those fights where presented its obvious they wanted to show Spartacus as the superior fighter, both to the others and to Egyptian.

Spartacus dominated him right away, was in control of the fight, had the upper hand, the Egyptian was wounded, thrown down, in a difficult position and armed with a short dagger while Spartacus was above him, with a gladius.

Its not impossible for him to parry some blows, get up etc, but chances were Spartacus wouldn't missed him and will took advantage of his position and his superior skills (not by much, but still superior by how their short fight had shown) to finish him off

The Egyptian had fought a weakened Oenomaus anyway, and in their last fight he sort of fought Gannicus and Oenomaus almost in the same time.

#161 Posted by zr0c00l (2967 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_red_viper: havent been on much so figured starting a CaV would be pointless but wanted the jaime match up but yeah i can see this is getting tiresome for you so ill withdraw my challenge but maybe we can do it down the road. Hopefully someone uploads more spartacus clips on youtube by then

#162 Posted by The_Red_Viper (9985 posts) - - Show Bio

@zr0c00l: Yeah finding clips on youtube is impossible, so annoying. I'm mostly creating GIFs with the VLC media player.

#163 Posted by zr0c00l (2967 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_red_viper: is that with the record function? thatd be so handy rather than hunting down YT clips for spartacus and a lot of other series

#164 Edited by The_Red_Viper (9985 posts) - - Show Bio

@zr0c00l: Yeah. It saves it on your desktop and then you can upload it to GIF generators like Giphy (the one I use mostly).

#165 Posted by zr0c00l (2967 posts) - - Show Bio
#166 Posted by The_Red_Viper (9985 posts) - - Show Bio