IS this feat vastly underrated?

• 94 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

organic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll IS this feat vastly underrated? (52 votes)

yes, beacuse modern bank vaults are built to withstand nuclear explosions 46%
no 54%

Although the latest bank vaults are built to be disassembled more easily (while still being ultra-secure), historically, bank vaults were built to last. Forever. As a result, some of them will survive almost anything. Even a nuclear blast. In fact, it was two Mosler bank vaults at the Teikoku Bank — and only those two bank vaults — that were left standing after Hiroshima was hit by an atomic bomb in 1945. In 1957, the U.S. also blasted a bank vault during nuclear testing in Nevada. The 37-kiloton nuke merely loosened the vault's trim.

No Caption Provided

• 
RajjarsAlt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#51  Edited By RajjarsAlt

@chimeroid said:
@rajjarsalt said:
@chimeroid said:

That's concrete. Not applicable. But hey, trolls gonna be trollingi guess

Not the point. They drilled through the vault too. Also, the irony.

I mean, i read the news, the vault is concrete. so...

I understand ;D. Pretty sure bank vaults are made of steel reinforced concrete, but whatevs.

The Teikoku Bank opened in 1925 as the Mitsui Bank with the same vaults that eventually survived the Hiroshima blast. The two-story structure was 360 meters from the hypocenter of the bomb and all that was left was its facade—and the Mosler vaults. At the time of the attack (8:15 a.m.), the bank had six night duty staff and twelve or thirteen female employees working there. None survived.[2]

After receiving the missive from the lieutenant, Mosler commissioned an official report to better document (and exploit) the durability of the vaults. The report stated, in part:

Those buildings constructed of steel and concrete in Hiroshima were best able to stand the explosion and hence protected their contents to some degree. …The explosions cracked the exteriors, tore the cement floors into pieces and the fire which followed gutted the buildings of all else. Those buildings constructed of reinforced concrete only, such as the Teikou [sic] Bank, were damaged to a larger degree. Those built of wood or brick were completely demolished.
Two Mosler bank vaults, one being located at the Teikou [sic] Bank in Hiroshima and the other located in the Geibi Bank in Kure, were in excellent condition and were in operation.

Regardless, being nearly a kilometer away from the blast is not good, as the blast yield on the vault decreases significantly. Mid tiers could punch through that (aka 1 MJ per square meter with NW's calc in the pg before). Like, a person's chances of surviving nuke increase significantly with distance away from the center. The distance makes the "nuke-tier" aspect of it irrelevant.

http://conelrad.blogspot.com/2010/08/unbreakable-hiroshima-and-mosler-safe.html

https://vintagejacksonville.net/2018/09/11/mosler-vault-door-at-the-federal-reserve-bank/

So the Teikoku/Mosler vaults still apply under my trolling. Which by some fundamental irony remains more legitimate than whatever implications organic is trying to wank. If you want to see the implications, just convert the joule value (as in for every m^2 of the safe) into tons of tnt.

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
Ready_4_Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If an MCU character done this we wouldn’t hear the end of it.

RajjarsAlt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mattyboi said:
@karkus said:

Spiderman > Shocker > Nuke

Loading Video...

I mean, this is technically true, given the reality of the feat.

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@rajjarsalt:

I understand ;D. Pretty sure bank vaults are made of steel reinforced concrete, but whatevs.

Do you know what reinforced concrete is?

It's concrete with rebar. AKA metal bars that go through metal and are usually quite spaced out. So basically, you have a half-inch bar every 5 inches or so, depending on the concrete ofc. It's not a solid piece.

ALSO ALSO - Time helps you increse the work that somethign can handle. For example, you can use a spoon and dig through concrete if you give yourself enough time.

NWName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@organic said:

@nwname:

please calculate this

In 1957, the U.S. also blasted a bank vault during nuclear testing in Nevada. The 37-kiloton nuke merely loosened the vault's trim.

Apperently it was 1/2 miles away or 805 meters. 19 MJ/m^2 and about 9.5 MJ/m^2 in the form of a shockwave.

organic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nwname:

Thank you

In your estimate/calculation

How much force was in her throw?

Through 2 blocks of.buildings and then the damage of the bank vault

thebuckaronatr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do not think that Faora has nuke punches that would be a heavy outlier.

Hulk_Like_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still think people don't care about that feat.

Avatar image for asgardianweapon
asgardianweapon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

i mean, it kinda iss underrated and overrated at the same time

RajjarsAlt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By RajjarsAlt

@chimeroid said:

@rajjarsalt:

It's concrete with rebar. AKA metal bars that go through metal and are usually quite spaced out. So basically, you have a half-inch bar every 5 inches or so, depending on the concrete ofc. It's not a solid piece.

ALSO ALSO - Time helps you increse the work that somethign can handle. For example, you can use a spoon and dig through concrete if you give yourself enough time.

Yeah, ofc. My point is that the vaults appear to be made of the same thing. So they're definitely not anywhere close to small nuke tier to any battle relevant setting.

Ccbm2208

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Ccbm2208

People need to know that when an object is out side the epicenter of an explosion it's not taking all of the energy of that explosion . The second bank vault in the OP was not even caught in the fire ball and take the shock wave instead . So yeah , Faora doesn't have nuke - level striking power in close combat form . Heck , no characters that are roughly the same as her in terms of strength and durabillity in the DCEU has demonstrated that level of striking power with their pure strength alone , they might have nuke level durabillity but they'd have to rely on some different power sets such as flight and energy attacks to even replicate the shere power of a Nuke . Save for maybe Zeus who can apparently lift an island .

RajjarsAlt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By RajjarsAlt

In other words, you'd have to punch with 43 kilojoules to match the load on Teikoku nuke proof bank, assuming 1MJ/m^2. What a nuke level throw.

organic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hulk_Like_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@organic: Dude, I don't care about that feat. Just let me be and stop tagging me back into this crappy thread.

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@chimeroid said:

@rajjarsalt:

Yeah, ofc. My point is that the vaults appear to be made of the same thing. So they're definitely not anywhere close to small nuke tier to any battle relevant setting.

Oh, no way it's a nuke level feat. I just hated the news that you posted and the way that you posted it in. The feat itself is much below nuke level.

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Generally its treated appropriately except when people try to argue that its legit nuke level and forget that bank vaults are made of steel and concrete.

RajjarsAlt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amcu said:

No. Generally its treated appropriately except when people try to argue that its legit nuke level and forget that bank vaults are made of steel and concrete.

But it is nuke level though. Steel and concrete are more durable than the casing of a nuke.

Redshift_Bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hahaha the wank is real.

EmoPeter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By EmoPeter

What I've come to realise is that MCU wankers love to call DCEU feats overrated and dismiss them instead of intelligently discussing them.

"The DCEU is full of overrated bullshit and inconsistencies that don't make sense. But Thor took the full force of a star in a beam that was a fraction of the size of the star, that had none of the properties of a neutron star, whilst also getting his face bloodied by a couple of Thanos punches but....but...but ...it still counts. He can also lift multimillion tons because he moved the Nidavellir rings even though it was in space."

Avatar image for deactivated-5ede7a8106dc9
deactivated-5ede7a8106dc9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So you mean to tell me a 100 million degree explosion with the force to level Cities can destroy a STEEL vault if it made direct contact with it?

RajjarsAlt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By RajjarsAlt

@emopeter: 5 stars for you, m8. Decrying MCU star level hypocrisy in a nuke level Faora throw thread. Standing ovation.

DivineVisitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By DivineVisitor

@emopeter:

"What I've come to realise is that MCU wankers love to call DCEU feats overrated and dismiss them instead of intelligently discussing them.

"The DCEU is full of overrated bullshit and inconsistencies that don't make sense. But Thor took the full force of a star in a beam that was a fraction of the size of the star, that had none of the properties of a neutron star, whilst also getting his face bloodied by a couple of Thanos punches but....but...but ...it still counts. He can also lift multimillion tons because he moved the Nidavellir rings even though it was in space."

Personally i think both sides are as bad as each other in that regard.

And while i don't agree with the whole multimillion tons Nidavellir feat being legitimate it is not due to having been done in space as that doesn't really make a difference. Mass is mass no matter where you go.

EmoPeter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emopeter: 5 stars for you, m8. Decrying MCU star level hypocrisy in a nuke level Faora throw thread. Standing ovation.

Hey, I never said I agree completely with this feat. I just wanted to point out that MCU wankers love to dismiss feats like this when they themselves love to over-inflate MCU feats.

EmoPeter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By EmoPeter
@divinevisitor said:

@emopeter:

"What I've come to realise is that MCU wankers love to call DCEU feats overrated and dismiss them instead of intelligently discussing them.

Personally i think both sides are as bad as each other in that regard.

And while i don't agree with the whole multimillion tons Nidavellir feat being legitimate it is not due to having been done in space as that doesn't really make a difference. Mass is mass no matter where you go.

Not exactly. Something on the moon will feel a lot lighter than something on Earth. It matters a lot. No one can accurately quantify that feat.

Wank is bad on both sides, but you have to admit that MCU fanboys bring a whole new level on bullshit scaling and nonsensical feats to the table.

"Captain Marvel is FTL and Thanos reacted to her, so he has FTL reflexes." I've rarely heard this sorta bull with DCEU fans. I guess it comes down to the DCEU being so much less popular, so you have less room for absolute fanatics.

Rijehu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rijehu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And no, Faora doesn’t strike with nuke level force lol.

DivineVisitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By DivineVisitor

@emopeter:

"Not exactly. Something on the moon will feel a lot lighter than something on Earth. It matter a lot. No one can accurately quantify that feat."

That's Weight. It's not the easiest thing to explain but Weight is different from Mass and in space Mass does not change.

Force = Mass X Acceleration

The more Mass something has the more Force I need to apply to Accelerate that object, that Force is measured in Newton's from which using various calculations you could determine how much someone would be capable of lifting in terms of Weight.

Just because I'm in a 0g environment doesn't mean I can throw a spaceship.

Eri_Joni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bruh.

RajjarsAlt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By RajjarsAlt
@divinevisitor said:

@emopeter:

"Not exactly. Something on the moon will feel a lot lighter than something on Earth. It matter a lot. No one can accurately quantify that feat."

That's Weight. It's not the easiest thing to explain but Weight is different from Mass and in space Mass does not change.

The more Mass something has the more Force I need to apply to Accelerate that object, that Force is measured in Newton's from which using various calculations you could determine how much someone would be capable of lifting in terms of Weight.

Nidavellir's solar panels are 0G but the dyson sphere's iris could be 0-1G...

And even if we presume 0G, inertia is still a thing. Pushing a mass in a direction where gravity doesn't accelerate it should be comparable to 0G conditions, it's why pushing a mass is easier than lifting it, too.

Avatar image for deactivated-5eadbe7fcf64f
deactivated-5eadbe7fcf64f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The feats great but if it was as good as some are suggesting im pretty sure Clark would have looked like this

No Caption Provided

EmoPeter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emopeter:

I get what you mean.

I guess the point I was trying to make was that the feat isn't comparable to moving the same sized object within Earth's atmosphere. There is an unknown amount of gravity to work against and an unknown atmospheric density providing air resistance.

The fact is, you can't compare a strength feat in outer space to one on Earth, especially considering that it is such a massive outlier compared to all of Thor's feats on Earth.

EmoPeter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The feats great but if it was as good as some are suggesting im pretty sure Clark would have looked like this

No Caption Provided

Not agreeing with the idea that Faora can throw harder than a nuke, but Clark was incapacitated due to solar radiation being displaced out of his cells, not blunt force.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emopeter: yep thats one of the theories for it, I think they just copied TDKR nuke scene where nuclear blast messes him up Snyder has said before they were never sure if he could survive.

EmoPeter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emopeter: yep thats one of the theories for it, I think they just copied TDKR nuke scene where nuclear blast messes him up Snyder has said before they were never sure if he could survive.

Snyder doesn't know shit about these characters.

We ended up with a Batman who kills casually and a Superman who probably smiled once in the three movies he was in.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The_Hajduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seriously shaking my head at this new nuke proof vaults shit that is going around.

Ezra_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The_Hajduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezra_: Bro PS4 Spider-Man stomps with his nuclear level strength. That chunk of iron and metal was more durable than an entire city! Including all the other chunks of metal that aren’t in the shape of a vault!

Avatar image for blackpantherisb
blackpantherisb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Relatively small Bank Vault in low-population rural town in Kansas>>>The most powerful piece of destructive technology even invented. Yep, this checks out.

EcoBlitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emopeter: calling Thor’s feat an outlier is such a lowball when he’s literally had 0 struggle with any other strength feats till that point.

DivineVisitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By DivineVisitor

@ecoblitz: @emopeter:

emopeter:

"The fact is, you can't compare a strength feat in outer space to one on Earth, especially considering that it is such a massive outlier compared to all of Thor's feats on Earth."

You can, you just need to take the 9.8m/s² that Earth exerts into account.

The reason I disagree with the Multimillion ton aspect of it is that Thor is pulling against no more Force than can be exerted by the thrusters of Rocket's Ship and Rocket knew his thrusters could not move the rings.

What is happening in the scene is largely misunderstood in my opinion.

The Rings have the ability to move themselves and therefore if hypothetically they are already exerting 100,000 tons of Force on the Ice but they are being held in place by Ice than can withstand say 110,000 tons of force, then all Rocket's Ship needs to do is add 10,000tons of additional Force to that already being exerted by the Rings in order to start to break down the Ice.

However we don't know how much Force Rockets Ships engines can output and we don't know how much extra Force the Rings needed to break the Ice and as such we don't know how much Force Thor had to resist, thus the feat is unquantifiable. There are too many unknown variables.

ecoblitz:

"calling Thor’s feat an outlier is such a lowball when he’s literally had 0 struggle with any other strength feats till that point."

Perhaps not but that's not really how I certainly judge outliers. I consider if the character has performed feats of a similar level consistently or if the feat in question is astronomicaly more than what has been previously shown.

Reeve Superman for example lifted a Tectonic Plate and pushed the Moon aswell as lifting an island of Kryptonite and throwing it into outer space (Routh version). He has several feats of a similar level to his best feat to say with a degree of certainty that his best aren't outliers.

And while we may not have seen Thor struggle we have seen characters in the same strength category need to put a good amount of effort into their own best calculatable strength feats. Captain Marvel's missile feat for example took her 14seconds to grab and throw. That feat is in the 100,000metric tons range as far as I could calculate and her strength is in the same region as Thanos and Thor.

EmoPeter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ecoblitz said:

@emopeter: calling Thor’s feat an outlier is such a lowball when he’s literally had 0 struggle with any other strength feats till that point.

He struggled plenty of times. He struggled to hold back against a single Hulk arm. When he wasn't lightning amped, he took 10 hits to break the Bifrost (that was being cracked by every step Fenris took). He struggled to flip a table in Thor 1.

There is so much uncertainty surrounding the rings feat on top of the fact that he has struggled with much easier strength feats before (even though he doesn't really have many strength feats anyway). We therefore can't conclude that Thor can shift multimillion tons like MCU wankers like to suggest.

EmoPeter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@divinevisitor: I never really thought of the thrusters thing. Nice one.

Noone1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Lmao no.