#2 Posted by Raizex (378 posts) - - Show Bio

Guess no one watched the movies before.

#3 Edited by ShadowPro (2988 posts) - - Show Bio

wot r they?

Avatar image for rudebomberboy01
#4 Edited by RudeBomberBoy01 (4558 posts) - - Show Bio

@Raizex said:

Guess no one watched the movies before.

I've seen the Ip Man movies.. Not sure if I've seen Huo Yuanjia.. Probably have but can't remember.

Edit: Yeah, I haven't seen the Jet Li movie (Fearless)

Watching it now so I'm probably gonna comment later on :P

#5 Posted by TotalBalance (749 posts) - - Show Bio

Hou Younjia would win all three in my opinion. The movie version of him has better strength feats and he is about equal in speed to Ip Man. I would say Round 1 is very close with Hou Younjia winning 6/10. Round 2 is when Hou Younjia has the opportunity to really shine as he would not need to limit himself to non-lethal strikes, so 7/10 for Round 2. Ip Man does not have anywhere the same weapon feats as Hou Younjia and so most likely loses Round 3, 9/10 times. By the way Fearless is one of my top ten favorite movies of all time.

#6 Posted by God_Spawn (43495 posts) - - Show Bio

@ShadowPro: Watch the language, please.

#7 Posted by RudeBomberBoy01 (4558 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok, I'm 30 minutes into the movie now and so far, based on what I've seen... Ip Man would destroy him in H2H morals on/off.

(This is an early judgement, my opinion could change after I finish watching the movie. Just bumping this thread up)

#8 Posted by TotalBalance (749 posts) - - Show Bio

Not sure which version you are watching but if I may include a deleted scene from the directors cut showcasing the durability of Hou Younjia.

Loading Video...
#9 Posted by CalebHara (2421 posts) - - Show Bio

Ip Man

#10 Posted by RudeBomberBoy01 (4558 posts) - - Show Bio

@TotalBalance said:

Not sure which version you are watching but if I may include a deleted scene from the directors cut showcasing the durability of Hou Younjia.

Loading Video...

Lol yeah, watched 7 more minutes of it, I think Ip Man is generally stronger but Huo has better striking power.

And I'm watching the Director's Cut version.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
#11 Edited by TotalBalance (749 posts) - - Show Bio

Surely you have seen the scene where Hou smashes the 30cm thick wooden column in his school with one puch, and the scene where he punches a guy so hard that his fist practically goes through him? I hope I did not spoil anything. If you would care to remind me since I have not seen Ip Man in a while, what feats does he have to equal that level of strength?

it is 37 minutes into the first video, the column smashing that is.

#12 Posted by RudeBomberBoy01 (4558 posts) - - Show Bio

@TotalBalance: Yeah I know what you're talking about, and as much as I want Ip Man to win(because I prefer Donnie Yen to Jet Li), The Yuanja from the movie was way too unrealistic. He takes this.

Their speed is on par but Ip Man fights faster (I don't know how to put it, hope you understood what I meant by that) seems to me Ip Man is better at predicting and counter-reacting.

That said, Fearless makes Ip Man look like a soap opera with how unrealistic it is :D

#13 Posted by TotalBalance (749 posts) - - Show Bio

@RudeBomberBoy01: It said Movie versions so based on what I knew of them I just gave Hou the win due to the vastly superior strength feats. Also as someone who has studied Kung-Fu for numerous years I am always critical of how Wing-Chun is so highly portrayed. It looks flashy and fast but most of it's stances lack mobility and can't be used to deliver as powerful strikes, however machine gun punching looks good so it gets to the screens.

#14 Edited by RudeBomberBoy01 (4558 posts) - - Show Bio

@TotalBalance: Yeah, I know it says movie versions, I was merely pointing out how unrealistic Fearless was compared to Ip Man though both movies were unrealistic The stunts performed in the Ip Man movies looked more believable. Fearless on the other hand was a tiny bit over the top.

And I understand what you meant by Wing-Chun lacking mobility. They don't move around much, they predict and counter as opposed to aggressive Wushu.

Anyways movie Huo takes this quite handily because he was moving like an anime character :D

The movie's awesome btw!! highly recommended for those who haven't seen it yet.

#15 Posted by Joygirl (21036 posts) - - Show Bio

Seen both -- Ip Man wrecks. Ip Man beat everyone, usually easily. Whereas Huo died.

#16 Posted by TotalBalance (749 posts) - - Show Bio

@RudeBomberBoy01: The movie is great. The fencing scene between Hou and the Spaniard at the end though is pure art. The swordplay is simply magnificently beautiful. I wish that scene would have been at least 10 minutes but alas one can only dream.

Every style of Kung-Fu attempts to predict and counter your opponent, however Wing-Chun is designed more to counter quickly than to counter powerfully. One must remember that it was invented by a woman so it places a much lower emphasis on power than some other styles. Other things I don't like about Wing-Chun is a lot of the time they seem to carry their center of gravity too high as well as move in too linear a fashion, though this may just be a problem with the practitioners I have seen as opposed to the art as a whole. Personally I think Wing-Chun is like a less effective method of western boxing whose only saving grace is that it also incorporates kicks (albeit tends to under utilize them). That is just my personal opinion though.

#17 Edited by RudeBomberBoy01 (4558 posts) - - Show Bio

@TotalBalance:

Hey, I'm still watching the movie, I'm at least 55% through it now. I'm at the bit where the little boy (Gui) steals a bull and Huo had to go save him lol

Wing-Chun isn't about power, I think it's heavily focused on reaction; how fast you can think and react to your opponents strikes, though their mobility is piss poor! I'm not an expert on this but judging from the Ip Man movies, most of the fights Donnie got into were of him waiting and countering his opponents, instead of screaming like a super saiyan and flying around like Huo seems to be doing :D

#18 Posted by RudeBomberBoy01 (4558 posts) - - Show Bio

That movie was beautiful!

And ya, Huo should be able to beat Ip Man in all the rounds.

#19 Posted by Raizex (378 posts) - - Show Bio

@Joygirl said:

Seen both -- Ip Man wrecks. Ip Man beat everyone, usually easily. Whereas Huo died.

Huo died due to him being poisoned.

#20 Posted by Bane_of_sith (2923 posts) - - Show Bio

I taking ip man first 2rounds Huo the third..ip man 2 showcased what he can do to vastly stronger opponents,,targeted strikes to his nerve points on his arms eliminate Huo's weapons and handicap him big time....wing Chun was developed by a women to quickly debilitate and disable male attackers,,,when applied correctly it is very dangerous and quickly stops enemies

Avatar image for saiyan_earthling
#21 Edited by saiyan_earthling (5902 posts) - - Show Bio
  1. Ip Man
  2. Ip Man (a pissed off Ip Man was able to beat up 10 karatekas)
  3. Huo Yuan Jia (Ip Man doesn't fight with swords)
#22 Posted by OmgOmgWtfWtf (7513 posts) - - Show Bio

Ip Man all rounds. He took on multiple Japanese martial artists in the first movie and managed to nearly kill each of them.

@saiyan_earthling said:

1. Ip Man
  2. Ip Man
  3. Huo Yuan Jia (Ip Man doesn't fight with swords)

Ip Man is a master of wing chun. By default, sword play is among the things they master. They use the same principle applied in their hand forms and wrist movements when they fight with weapons. It treat as an extension of their arms. Not to mention, the butterfly sword is a standard weapon in wing chun and as is the long pole. You learn it as part of the training.

#23 Posted by terry2012 (9862 posts) - - Show Bio

Hou Younjia.

#24 Posted by DrEgonSpengler (623 posts) - - Show Bio

Ip Man should win!

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
#25 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (21616 posts) - - Show Bio

Fearless is on Netflix, and I haven't gone around to watching it yet.

In fact I'll probably watch it right now to send some feedback.

Avatar image for regal_rumble_man
#26 Posted by Regal_Rumble_Man (885 posts) - - Show Bio

Ip man's heart would explode

#27 Posted by Raizex (378 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump

#28 Posted by Pharoh_Atem (44360 posts) - - Show Bio

Ip man for being so damn awesome.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8c48323d2d9
#29 Posted by deactivated-5c8c48323d2d9 (2599 posts) - - Show Bio

Round 1. Ipman. He's shown himself to be able to toy grandmasters.

Round 2. Ip Man. Wing Chung used with bloodlust is something that Hou's style cannot defend against.

Particularly because the fighting styles of the two don't match. Though excellent Hou is, Wing Chung will be most effective against Hou's style.

Round 3. Hou's skill with weaponry is just nothing short of beautiful.

#30 Posted by hyiena (5389 posts) - - Show Bio

IP man could barely beat a British boxer wearing boxing gloves in the second film that realy hurts his street cred.

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
#31 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (21616 posts) - - Show Bio

Alright now that I've seen Fearless I've seen that these two are extremely similar.

• Defeated swordsman in combat with sticks.
  • Defeated boxer
  • Overpowered numerous foes at the same time

They are roughly comparable, and Huo has more striking power (especially when he's mad and killed that other master), but Ip Man is a lot more quick with his ferocious blows. However, Ip Man has displayed slightly more durability by tanking Twister's tough shots, who was more impressive than the boxer Huo defeated.

I say Ip Man takes it 6/10

#32 Posted by ComocYahweh (667 posts) - - Show Bio

Hard one, but Ip Man trained Bruce Lee, so he should in because of that fact.

#33 Posted by Cbrowser (31 posts) - - Show Bio

Leonardo Davinchi told that the simplicity was the greates sophistication. And... by having a fightstyle with almost no set movements, based in a reflex action. Ip Man have a great advantage.