In a Fight to the Death, Do You Choose Bat or Knife?

• 180 results
Void-Viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll In a Fight to the Death, Do You Choose Bat or Knife? (104 votes)

Bat 54%
Knife 44%

In a fight to the death with an equally matched opponent, would you choose a bat or a knife?

Here are the rules:

• Your opponent will be randomly selected from your peer group (age, gender, weight, basic background) etc.
  • The bat is a wood standard Louisville Slugger.
  • The knife is 12-14″ bowie knife. The blade length is roughly 60% of that.
  • You will start 14 ft. away from each other.
  • The fight will take place on a dry, grassy field.
  • The fight is to the death.
No Caption Provided

vs.

No Caption Provided

Bat or knife?

• 
Hemehero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bat. I'm not skilled enough to use a knife and the extra reach of the bat would be a huge advantage

ginman333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bat

Avatar image for deactivated-5a39421825b35
deactivated-5a39421825b35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bat. Anyone that says knife better be good at throwing it.

Avatar image for sainguinexshadow
SainguineXshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a Knife expert so i choose knife.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Bat, it's actually difficult to properly wield a knife in a fight and not cut yourself. Also when knife fighting you have to stab, not cut. Also it's easier to give someone a concussion than to stab a vital organ(unless your like a pro with human anatomy). It's going to be a lot easier to simple beat someone in the head.

QuakeBlood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd be scared shitless of a person well-versed in knives and the best ways to kill people with them.

theredhood44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Knife...if you miss me once with the bat your done for, so Knife

Cypher0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll choose range and ease of use. So... bat.

Bat also provides a good chance of disarming from a safer distance.

BobLeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Knife easily

Wut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bat.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd be scared shitless of a person well-versed in knives and the best ways to kill people with them.

Not uncommon. People find knives more terrifying then guns because it is more 'intimate'.

Paytience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Knife. Most people should choose the bat, most experienced aggressors would probably choose the knife.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a5a76120d2ba
deactivated-5a5a76120d2ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I choose the knife.

Not my favorite style but I can work with it.

I am a knife nut, I love knives. I used to train with them every day. Now I train when I get the chance but even empty handed I train the motions to keep my muscle memory on que.

The only real down side is that the hit with the knife could leave them with just enough adrenaline and juice left to get one last swing with the bat.

If someone has a background in any kind of weapon training a bat is not a great choice, I would take many other weapons first.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HeroUp2112

A blade all day, every day, and twice on Sunday. Most people can get close enough to reduce the power of the first swing of a bat and get in close enough to start cutting. Not ALWAYS the case, but VERY usually the case. Also, once the distance is closed you can keep cutting and cutting and the utility of the bat goes down by quite a bit.

Knife. Period.

EDIT: After reading this there are a few things that I should address. You don't need to be a knife expert to cut and stab someone to end a fight. All you need are as many deepish wounds as you can get and the ability to keep distance from the bat wielder. The bat person will keep losing blood, tire, slow down, and fade out. It's BETTER to stay in, keep cutting until they go down of course, but again, you don't have to be an expert, just patient.

TheWatcherKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

knife

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That is one huge knife. And the bat is wooden.

I choose knife.

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

Bowie

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17 Zetsu-San  Online

Knives are great. Easy to carry. Easy to conceal... But no, a bat is a better weapon for a straight forward confrontation. They take no skill to use and are even better if you are skilled.

You can't block a baseball bat swing with a knife, but you can easily counter a knife swing with a bat. Closing the gap is easier said than done and just because you are using a baseball bat does not mean you have to swing it base ball style. You can jab, use the mid section to block or bind, and even strike with the pummel.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Zetsu-San  Online

A blade all day, every day, and twice on Sunday. Most people can get close enough to reduce the power of the first swing of a bat and get in close enough to start cutting. Not ALWAYS the case, but VERY usually the case. Also, once the distance is closed you can keep cutting and cutting and the utility of the bat goes down by quite a bit.

Knife. Period.

EDIT: After reading this there are a few things that I should address. You don't need to be a knife expert to cut and stab someone to end a fight. All you need are as many deepish wounds as you can get and the ability to keep distance from the bat wielder. The bat person will keep losing blood, tire, slow down, and fade out. It's BETTER to stay in, keep cutting until they go down of course, but again, you don't have to be an expert, just patient.

I am sorry, but any decently trained fighter would knock that knife out of your hands with a simple jab or parry. Range kills.

This is practically a rehash of that spear vs sword thread.

Vertigo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Vertigo-

Bat. Range advantage and you can block a knife stab with a bat

destinyman75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on the foe I face really. A big brute may well catch AMD take a bat from You, but will be taken out if you stab him just right. And smaller guys the reach and damage of a bat will come in handy while the knife may, it as well can be taken by the right for.

Chronicplane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd pick the Knife, and here are my reasons why

• Offers far greater mobility and agility in combat
  • The weapon is much lighter, making it easier to hold and use
  • Knife can do far more damage than a wooden bat, one good stab and that said person will be bleeding on the ground unlike a bat even if you do get a hit of what's not to say that said person can tank it and counter by simply grabbing your bat and beating you with it
  • The Blade grants you more ways to take down your opponent, while as for the bat is basically just brute force
  • The Knife you can hide and pull out at the last second, essentially catching your opponent of guard "Element of surprise" and go for the free strike, while a bat will be visually clear to see
  • Knife offers more unpredictability than the bat, increasing your chances against the competition

Problems with the bat is due to it's size, many people would think that's a good thing (On paper yes, In reality not really) The bat would cause drag and slow down your mobility, also making you predictable to your opponent and finally being made out of wood wouldn't do no where near as much damage as lets say an aluminum bat.

Skrskr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Knife every day of the week, if you can avoid a solid swing of a bat you can get in and just violently stab the same way people grab in street fights.

Rinse and repeat

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A bat swing is easy to avoid or block a knife can one shot and kill if you no where to put it

BobLeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BobLeGod

@zetsumoto:

Please never become a martial arts instructor. You've been reading too much anime and comics. Jab at a knife? That's an easy way to get your fit split open. And I highly doubt that someone who is fighting to the death is going to drop their knife just like that from a simple parry or jab. If that's happening you need some serious grip strength. And how much skill does it take to stab someone?

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 anthp2000  Moderator  Online

Knife for the sane reasons a sword us > a bat.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112 said:

Knife. Period.

I am sorry, but any decently trained fighter would knock that knife out of your hands with a simple jab or parry. Range kills.

This is practically a rehash of that spear vs sword thread.

Well, I can't say I've ever ACTUALLY fought anyone with a knife but I've done a TON of sparring and training with them and seen many inmates fight with them and I've NEVER seen anyone knock one out of anyone's hand. Sometimes people are able to do a trap or lock and immobilize the knife (though they'd still likely get cut) but at that range it's difficult to bring the bat (or baton as the case may be) effectively.

For my money practice beats theory.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb6c77c8d900
deactivated-5fb6c77c8d900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@boblegod: How much skill does it take to stab someone who is actively wielding a bat in your direction with the intention to maim you? A whole hell of alot.

2 untrained individuals with a bat vs knife, I'd feel safer with a bat.

2 trained individuals, I'd most certainly put my money on the bat.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Zetsu-San  Online

@heroup2112:

Sometimes people are able to do a trap or lock and immobilize the knife

Are they actually up against a lengthy stick based weapon? (and against someone who doesn't actually give a crap how much they bruise or damage your arm)

That's the biggest flaw with a lot of knife defense simulations. The guy with the rubber knife can go all out. Someone trying to disarm that knife however, is handicapped by safety measures.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Zetsu-San  Online

@boblegod said:

@zetsumoto:

Please never become a martial arts instructor. You've been reading too much anime and comics. Jab at a knife? That's an easy way to get your fit split open. And I highly doubt that someone who is fighting to the death is going to drop their knife just like that from a simple parry or jab. If that's happening you need some serious grip strength. And how much skill does it take to stab someone?

You don't jab at the knife, you jab at their arm or shoulder when they go in for a strike. I don't think you realize how much it hurts to get struck on the fingers, hand, or wrist; with a solid object.

It doesn't take much skill to stab someone, but it takes quite a bit of skill to get past a longer weapon to do it.

SupeRSamoaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The bat is like 34 inches, right? I'd like to think i'm a pretty buff guy so hitting with that would hurt. I'd take a bat

Trndo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The knife is a one shot. Ive seen both in action.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skrskr said:

Knife every day of the week, if you can avoid a solid swing of a bat you can get in and just violently stab the same way people grab in street fights.

Rinse and repeat

A bat swing is easy to avoid or block a knife can one shot and kill if you no where to put it

You don't need to swing the bat to do damage, just hold it on the thick end bash a dude as if you were palming a rock

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Zetsu-San  Online

@handyjayjr: It's a baseball bat, so obviously you HAVE to use it like you are playing baseball. Duh!

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Zetsu-San  Online

@anthp2000 said:

Knife for the sane reasons a sword us > a bat.

That's a poor comparison. A sword is likely going to be at least as long as the bat is. Probably significantly longer.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 anthp2000  Moderator  Online

@zetsumoto: I don't know why I said that, but I meant a sword is > a spear referring to that other thread.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Zetsu-San  Online

@zetsumoto: I don't know why I said that, but I meant a sword is > a spear referring to that other thread.

But a sword is not > a spear.

BobLeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neither of you seem to be taking into account your friends skills and attributes. If you're talking so much skill(which honestly isn't needed here) are you the one that's trained or are they? Are most of your friends bigger or smaller? Are most of them trained enough to be handing people with knives - more specially you? What are the chances you get a counter picked? If they're a wrestler or good at BJJ you're better off with a knife than a bat.

@morleericks:

It doesn't say that they have the bat if you take a knife. And even if you do you better hope you put me down with one swing cause you getting trademarks. You bruise an arm I touch an organ and now I have free reign with that gap closed while your bat is basically useless.

@zetsumoto

This is real life man. It's not working like that. I know it hurts but I'm sure it hurts more to get gutted. Jabbing at their arm or shoulder? Come on now. Are you Floyd? Rigodeaux? Russel? Manny? McGregor? Lomachenko? Khan? Do you think you have the speed and timing to counter like that? Not happening bro.

And what you're saying doesn't add up. Do you have a bat or not because how are you punching them with the bat in your hand?

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By anthp2000  Moderator  Online

@zetsumoto: let us not do that right now. It is imo. And I've stated my reasons on that other thread.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@handyjayjr: It's a baseball bat, so obviously you HAVE to use it like you are playing baseball. Duh!

lol .Of course, I don't know what I was thinking.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Zetsu-San  Online

@boblegod said:

Neither of you seem to be taking into account your friends skills and attributes. If you're talking so much skill(which honestly isn't needed here) are you the one that's trained or are they? Are most of your friends bigger or smaller? Are most of them trained enough to be handing people with knives - more specially you? What are the chances you get a counter picked? If they're a wrestler or good at BJJ you're better off with a knife than a bat.

@morleericks:

It doesn't say that they have the bat if you take a knife. And even if you do you better hope you put me down with one swing cause you getting trademarks. You bruise an arm I touch an organ and now I have free reign with that gap closed while your bat is basically useless.

@zetsumoto

This is real life man. It's not working like that. I know it hurts but I'm sure it hurts more to get gutted. Jabbing at their arm or shoulder? Come on now. Are you Floyd? Rigodeaux? Russel? Manny? McGregor? Lomachenko? Khan? Do you think you have the speed and timing to counter like that? Not happening bro.

And what you're saying doesn't add up. Do you have a bat or not because how are you punching them with the bat in your hand?

I don't need to have speed and timing when I have the longer weapon. They need the speed and timing to close that distance.

*facepalm* Jab means to poke, or stab. You use the end of the bat. I am not talking about punching, that would be absurd. -_-

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Zetsu-San  Online

@zetsumoto: et us not do that right now. It is imo. And I've stated my reasons on that other thread.

Your reasons were extremely flawed...

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By anthp2000  Moderator  Online
BobLeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsumoto:

That makes more sense but now you're taking away you being able to swing. And you're going to need skill when you're talking like that against a knife. This is life and death. All it takes is one swing.

And where does it say that the other person has the opposite weapon?

And if my friends have a bat and decide to poke instead of swing best believe that bat is getting grabbed and they're eating a right. Your main objective is defense from how you're talking. I have the deadliest offense and from the way you're attacking I need no real defense. If we are friends and jabbing me what's stopping me from just charging in and stabbing you up?

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#45  Edited By APEX_pretador

Bat all day all night.

Easy to use, big range advantage, versatile

Edit: give me a cricket bat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@apex_pretador said:

Bat all day all night.

Easy to use, big range advantage, versatile

Edit: give me a cricket bat

Yes! That thinner edge + a wide flat surface.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Zetsu-San  Online

@boblegod said:

@zetsumoto:

That makes more sense but now you're taking away you being able to swing. And you're going to need skill when you're talking like that against a knife. This is life and death. All it takes is one swing.

And where does it say that the other person has the opposite weapon?

And if my friends have a bat and decide to poke instead of swing best believe that bat is getting grabbed and they're eating a right. Your main objective is defense from how you're talking. I have the deadliest offense and from the way you're attacking I need no real defense. If we are friends and jabbing me what's stopping me from just charging in and stabbing you up?

Actually there are tons of cases of people getting stabbed or cut numerous times throughout a fight, and not even realizing a knife was involved until long after it was over. The knife is the shorter weapon. It takes more skill to get past a baseball bat in order to stab someone with a knife, than it does to use a baseball bat to simply hit someone who is coming at you. Also... What are you talking about? How does jabbing with it mean you can't also swing with it?

If both people have the same weapon, than the superiority of one over the other doesn't really matter. I'd pick a baseball bat against a baseball bat than a knife vs knife; because while it's easy enough to stab someone with a knife, stabbing someone with a knife without getting stabbed yourself is next to impossible.

That's ridiculous, you'd get your hand smashed. You're not grabbing the baseball bat unless the person you are fighting is really friggen slow. Need no defense? It's a friggen baseball bat. You are getting hit with a friggen baseball bat. You need defense. What's stopping you from charging? Gee, I don't know... Getting jabbed or struck in the face, throat, or body with a goddamn baseball bat.

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@handyjayjr: more importantly, it is longer and heavier, giving each swing far greater strength and improved chances of tagging

Avatar image for deactivated-5b59f8ae5ebaf
deactivated-5b59f8ae5ebaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

knife

u can block a baseball bat's hit cant do the same to a knife

knife will cut u no matter what (unless u got like a thick coat on)

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Zetsu-San  Online

@stoneyalex said:

knife

u can block a baseball bat's hit cant do the same to a knife

knife will cut u no matter what (unless u got like a thick coat on)

You can block a knife by blocking at the grip, wrist, or arm. Works even better if you have a big long baseball bat to do it with...

And while it's true you can block a baseball bat, you need to do it in a very specific way, in which a skilled fighter would know to account for; and it will still hurt. Plus, they can always just hit you again.