Posted by StealthGrey (323 posts) 1 month, 2 days ago

Poll: How many Full Power Stormbreaker Swing from Prime Thor to decapitate Post-Nukes Doomsday? (190 votes)

Just 1 is more than enough, Thor one-shots Doomsday 57%
2 9%
4 3%
8 1%
A Few Dozens 3%
600 hundred times 2%
All of them 4%
Not enough, i doubt that Ax could penetrate Doomsday's tough skin 7%
Thor is too slow he'll die even before landing a Hit. 12%
Results 1%
No Caption Provided

Thor charged/move forward like a Badass..

Shouting: "BRING ME DOOMSDAY..!!!"..

No Caption Provided

#1 Posted by BOC (1765 posts) - - Show Bio

Assuming he can pierce DD, and assuming DD will allow him, one.

#3 Posted by KingFrieza (1516 posts) - - Show Bio

The best piercing feat dd has is tanking high caliber bullets. He failed to tanked diana's featless sword, which failed to do significant damage to sw.

And no, I don't think diana's sword is weak, it suffers from a lack of showings though. Also, since she cut him, you can't use her sword in dd's favor.

In piercing durability, thanos has better showings regarding piercing damage. Most of which should be below diana's sword, but since it went through dd easily, the power of her sword can only be used as a ceiling for him.

One hit will do fine, he'll go for the head this time, and dd didn't show that he could regen a head. Argue that dd can, then you would have to give hela the same benefit of the doubt... which nobody here does...

#4 Posted by miekskywalker (2483 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanos is very close to impenetrable

Sb made him look like he was made out of butter

#5 Edited by Crunch5481 (1362 posts) - - Show Bio

The best piercing feat dd has is tanking high caliber bullets. He failed to tanked diana's featless sword, which failed to do significant damage to sw.

And no, I don't think diana's sword is weak, it suffers from a lack of showings though. Also, since she cut him, you can't use her sword in dd's favor.

In piercing durability, thanos has better showings regarding piercing damage. Most of which should be below diana's sword, but since it went through dd easily, the power of her sword can only be used as a ceiling for him.

One hit will do fine, he'll go for the head this time, and dd didn't show that he could regen a head. Argue that dd can, then you would have to give hela the same benefit of the doubt... which nobody here does...

I'm going to break this down as much as I can.

Piercing ability is determined by the durability of the materials, and the force over a given area. Bladed objects excel at piercing because they are sharp, sharpness implies a very small surface area of which the force is applied. This means that a Sword will exert more pressure when swung than a baseball bat and therefore it will pierce much better. Sharp objects are unnecessary for piercing, but they do help. For example, UFC fighters routinely are cut by just being punched too hard. In the Marvel movies, we see characters bloodied and cut by just blunt force all the time, especially Thor. This is due to the amount of force they are hit with, it is strong enough to produce enough pressure on the skin to cut it. You talk about Piercing feats; piercing durability of a character is determined by the integrity, and toughness of one's skin. One does not need to be faced with a sharp object such as a sword, bullet, or knife to demonstrate exceptional skin durability, which is directly applicable to piercing durability.

Got that? Piercing durability IS skin durability. Skin durability does NOT need to be shown through resistance to sharp objects BECAUSE from basic physics we know that it is a matter of pressure.

THEREFORE: You are incorrect in stating that DD's best piercing feat is tanking high caliber bullets. Piercing resistance is skin durability, so anything that applies an exceptional force to DD's skin is counted as skin durability. Doomsday, not only tanked those bullets, but he also tanked being blitzed into space. None of Superman's punches on him damaged DD's skin despite the incredible force that was applied through the surface area of Superman's fist. Not only does Doomsday not receive any damage to his skin from Superman's punches, but he also tanks a nuke. And not just a nuke! Doomsday tanks being propelled downward from the Nuke and falling down to Earth. He receives 0 damage from that as well. Let me repeat myself. Doomsday's skin was not damaged AT ALL by the Nuke, nor the subsequent fall from space where he was forced down by the Nuke's force, meaning he hit the ground harder than he would just from falling.

And you want to tell people and believe that Thanos, the one who Iron Man made bleed with a punch (one of Iron Man's strongest punches, but still a punch from Iron Man), has better piercing durability than Doomsday. Ridiculous. Look at the feats, Thanos would not survive the pressure wave of a Nuke, let alone come out of it unscathed. Nor would Thanos survive the subsequent re-entry impact, let alone come out of it without a scratch.

Diana's sword cutting Doomsday was obviously meant to show the might of her sword and not that Doomsday could be sliced by any powerful being wielding sharp metal. Cutting DD was meant to be a feat for the sword's capability. This is clearly supported by the fact that NOTHING else was hurting Doomsday up to that point. They even went out of their way to NUKE HIM & have him fall from space and be fine just to prove his insane durability. Wonder Woman's sword failed to do any significant damage to Steppenwolf's ARMOR. She never hit Steppenwolf straight on, she only ever slashed at his armor. It took a full force CHOP to cut off Doomsday's hand. Her block of his fist with the sword only cut him, and her slash at his heel also only cut him. Doomsday isn't covered in metal alien armor like Steppenwolf, and WW NEVER got a clean hit on Steppenwolf unlike she did with Doomsday. The most plausible explanation for her sword doing well against DD is that it is some level of magic and DD has some susceptibility to magic, since that is what has always tended to be true in other media with regard to these characters.

#6 Edited by Mr_Shazam0920 (5218 posts) - - Show Bio

@crunch5481:

I still think Stormbreaker can pierce Doomsday. It was forged in the heart of a dying star, and was said to be the most powerful weapon in Asgard. Think about it, the most powerful weapon of the most advanced civilization of the 9 Realms.

While I do understand that Thanos is not as durable as Doomsday (this could be also that Doomsday absorbs energy), I don’t understand how SB cutting his head and arm clean off is somehow treated as an anti-feat for the axe.

OT assuming Thor gets a clean swipe, all he needs is one especially if charged.

#7 Posted by ElSebbe (372 posts) - - Show Bio

#8 Edited by incursion2 (2246 posts) - - Show Bio

One

#9 Edited by BOC (1765 posts) - - Show Bio

@kingfrieza:

Regenerating an amputated hand > healing a piercing. A human can heal a knife wound in time, but a human can not regenerate a hand. Though, this is kind of off-topic as it isn't a battle.

#10 Posted by KingFrieza (1516 posts) - - Show Bio

@crunch5481: I get that point... however, it is constantly ignored within comics and anime. Wonder Woman in particular could tank continental attacks, yet die to a bullet in comics.

Thor in the movies was cut by Loki, yet gets up from being punched by Hulk without a bruise in avengers. Supes felt bullets, yet went through a bank vault without a broken bone...

Also some materials in real life are easier to cut then crush, and vice versa. Ever heard of kevlar armor? Does kevlar armor has the same blunt force, stabbing, and slashing resistance?

#11 Posted by Namebk (843 posts) - - Show Bio

Thinking 1.

#12 Posted by Crunch5481 (1362 posts) - - Show Bio

@crunch5481: I get that point... however, it is constantly ignored within comics and anime. Wonder Woman in particular could tank continental attacks, yet die to a bullet in comics.

Thor in the movies was cut by Loki, yet gets up from being punched by Hulk without a bruise in avengers. Supes felt bullets, yet went through a bank vault without a broken bone...

Also some materials in real life are easier to cut then crush, and vice versa. Ever heard of kevlar armor? Does kevlar armor has the same blunt force, stabbing, and slashing resistance?

He was stabbed by asgardian metal which is especially strong and by relatively strong character. Also Hulk's fists have a much much greater surface area than a regular fist let alone a knife, additionally a fist is not has 'hard' as metal thats why the Hulk used the car and broke it in half in The Incredible Hulk too punch Abomination with.

Also, Thor was bruised actually. You can see all the bruises in the scene in the tower they were being kept in.

I really do not see the relevance of superman 'feeling' bullets. Its obvious they don't hurt him, and he still recovered very fast after being thrown into the bank vault.

Kevlar is a fiber based material. Knives cut the fibres easily because they are sharp, and they can go through them because the knife is sharp and thin. I never suggested anything had the same piercing and blunt force resistance. That's obviously not true, and I actually said that. I explicitly said that a sharp object is better for piercing.

To your assertion that the point is ignored in comics: That's the comics. It doesn't seem to be the same here, things are consistent enough in the movies. The movies also try to follow real life logic and possibility closer than comics. That should be obvious. The movies are more 'realistic' than the comics. I'm applying a basic principle of physics, nothing more.

#13 Posted by Matthew660 (1685 posts) - - Show Bio

One

#14 Posted by Skrskr (3693 posts) - - Show Bio

One good one

#15 Posted by LuminousHydra (947 posts) - - Show Bio

A lot

#16 Edited by JefferydeDucke (514 posts) - - Show Bio

Just one

#17 Edited by Six-Deuce (1417 posts) - - Show Bio

@crunch5481: eh, you are overthinking this. It seems far fetched to assume Diana's sword is far more damaging than the nuke DD tanked. It is more plausible to assume DD's evolutionary ability helped mitigate the damage of the bomb...absorbed some...or just believe he is particularly weak to magic or slicing damage. It isnt perfect but is much more likely than your scenario of continent busting sword swings from diana.

#18 Posted by GoldKing (1207 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor in 1, because whatever that thing was wasn't Doomsday.

#19 Posted by Crunch5481 (1362 posts) - - Show Bio

@crunch5481: eh, you are overthinking this. It seems far fetched to assume Diana's sword is far more damaging than the nuke DD tanked. It is more plausible to assume DD's evolutionary ability helped mitigate the damage of the bomb...absorbed some...or just believe he is particularly weak to magic or slicing damage. It isnt perfect but is much more likely than your scenario of continent busting sword swings from diana.

Well her sword clearly was more damaging to Doomsday than the Nuke or anything else besides kryptonite for that matter. That should be obvious. The nuke didn't damage him at all, while the sword severed his hand. And as I said before the most plausible explanation is that he is susceptible to magic. He also obviously did absorb some of the nuke's energy however he also obviously didn't absorb most of it, since we can still see the explosion in the large fireball in the sky, and if DD were 100% efficient at absorbing energy then he wouldn't be sent flying by Superman's punches in space, he would instead absorb the kinetic energy.

You literally pulled continent busting sword swings out of your 'you know what'. That Nuke was likely in the hundreds of kiloton range, that is nowhere near continent level, not even close, it's not even close to country level. I never suggested her sword was that strong, I explicitly said that Doomsday is most likely susceptible to magic and therefore the sword was able to pierce him while nothing else could (besides kryptonite). That does not mean the sword is continent busting Lol.

#20 Posted by Bearderby (475 posts) - - Show Bio

1 hardest swing

#21 Edited by NWgzsjUwhM96Y2 (4391 posts) - - Show Bio

@crunch5481: Finally. Someone who knows what he is talking about. Note: I remember calculating DD's pressure resistance to be 8.000.000.000.000+ Newtons/m^2. Nothing Stormbreaker did comes close.

#22 Posted by Six-Deuce (1417 posts) - - Show Bio

@nwgzsjuwhm96y2: he just said the most plausible explanation was a susceptibility to magic as to why the "non-nuke+" level sword swing from diana was effective. SB is magic.

Avatar image for theoneabovelife
#23 Posted by TheOneAboveLife (1189 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

#24 Edited by Six-Deuce (1417 posts) - - Show Bio

@crunch5481: I didnt pull continent busting from my behind bro....the nuke didnt significantly damage DD, the sword did FAR more damage...obviously by your rationale it would have to scale up from the nuke. If you are agreeing magic susceptibility as a likelyhood then I concur....and SB would have the same effect+ as Diana's sword. 1 swing decap.

#25 Posted by TakenStew22 (2392 posts) - - Show Bio

One if he actually goes for the head.

#26 Posted by phillip33 (4461 posts) - - Show Bio

The over thinking here is astounding. Wonderwoman in the comics could survive a nuke and a full powered punch from Superman wouldn’t punch right through her body, yet a bullet could pierce her. It’s common knowledge in comics that, on the surface, piercing and blunt force durability are two completely different things. Wonder woman’s unimpressive sword sliced through doomsday like butter, a sword that failed to pierce steppenwolfs armor, the same dude who cried out in pain from parademon teeth. Stormbreaker cleaves doomsday’s year off. The biggest problem for Thor is actually landing that blow.

#27 Posted by NWgzsjUwhM96Y2 (4391 posts) - - Show Bio

@phillip33: And get hurt by sub building level punches too. Comics are written by dozens of different wroters with different takes on the characters you can't expect them to be consistent.

#28 Posted by NWgzsjUwhM96Y2 (4391 posts) - - Show Bio

@six-deuce: Thats not how that works. Less surface area requires less energy. The sword can cut Doomsday if its sharp and hard enough even if it has building level energy.

#29 Posted by phillip33 (4461 posts) - - Show Bio

@nwgzsjuwhm96y2: wonderwoman consistently has low piercing durability and consistently tanks punches far above building level though so argument falls flat.

#30 Posted by BOC (1765 posts) - - Show Bio

WW is practically the only example of blunt force durability not being relevant to piercing. Practically every other character doesn't follow that illogical concept. I'm just curious as to why people are using that to support an argument (not just in this thread) when it's clear she's an outlier. Either way, what makes Stormbreaker magical (assuming DD has a vulnerability to magic)? We saw on screen how it was created, unless it was enchanted uru or something it shouldn't be magical.

OT: If we go based on feats alone, Stormbreaker would not be able to cut DD.

#31 Posted by Cyogre (165 posts) - - Show Bio

The over thinking here is astounding. Wonderwoman in the comics could survive a nuke and a full powered punch from Superman wouldn’t punch right through her body, yet a bullet could pierce her. It’s common knowledge in comics that, on the surface, piercing and blunt force durability are two completely different things. Wonder woman’s unimpressive sword sliced through doomsday like butter, a sword that failed to pierce steppenwolfs armor, the same dude who cried out in pain from parademon teeth. Stormbreaker cleaves doomsday’s year off. The biggest problem for Thor is actually landing that blow.

#32 Posted by NWgzsjUwhM96Y2 (4391 posts) - - Show Bio

@phillip33: How many times did she get cut by quantifiable things like human made bullets, regular steel blades etc ? Not more that sub building level punches i would guess.

#33 Posted by phillip33 (4461 posts) - - Show Bio

@nwgzsjuwhm96y2: she’s only been actually been cut by bullets around 5-10 times iirc, but that’s mostly because her reflexes are generally fast enough to intercept the bullets with her bracelets. However, that is in and of its self indicative of her piercing durability. If she needs to waste her time at all to block bullets, then it stands to reason that she would be injured if she allowed the bullet to impact her skin, as it’s done in the past. Now that’s happened far far more times than wonderwoman has been hurt by sub building level punches.

#34 Edited by phillip33 (4461 posts) - - Show Bio

@boc: that’s not true. World war hulk had poor piercing durability, but phenomenal blunt force durability. Piercing thanos is a better feat than anything ww’s sword has.

Thanos no sold every piercing weapon up until that point.

#35 Edited by BOC (1765 posts) - - Show Bio

@phillip33:

World war hulk had poor piercing durability, but phenomenal blunt force durability

I'm not familiar enough with the character to comment on that. But you get the point. Out of the hundreds of characters, very few follow that concept. It's not frequent enough to make a compelling argument based on those outliers alone.

Piercing thanos is a better feat than anything ww’s sword has.

How so? Doomsday is a genetically amped kryptonian. With that in mind, he has just as good if not better piercing durability than every other DCEU Kryptonian. To my knowledge, Thanos has not encountered nearly as many, nor as great weapons that Kryptonians have no sold. Piercing DD is a feat for WW's sword.

Avatar image for darthvaderrocks
#36 Posted by darthvaderrocks (1751 posts) - - Show Bio

@boc: Lol how aren't you familiar with World War Hulk?

#37 Posted by Redshift_Bacon (883 posts) - - Show Bio

lmao 1 assuming that Thor actually goes for the head and lands his shot.

#38 Posted by BOC (1765 posts) - - Show Bio
#39 Edited by phillip33 (4461 posts) - - Show Bio

@boc: that’s not true again there are lots of characters like that. Spider-Man, wolverine, Thor, other hulk incarnations, etc. all have better blunt force durability given their susceptibility to piercing attacks.

Not every kryptonian = every kryptonian, and it’s not exactly clear how zods body was changed to make doomsday, so just because he was altered from a kryptonian, doesn’t necessarily mean he has all the same abilities/ stats as another kryptonian. His inability to fly is one example of this. Wonder woman’s sword is not particularly impressive, and it’s shown inability to cut through certain things. Normal kryptonians haven’t even shown to no sell the range of piercing weapons that thanos has no sold. To my knowledge, the best that the kryptonians have is high powered gun fire.

I don’t think any kryptonian outside of doomsday has even encountered any notable bladed weapons. And we saw what that did to doomsday. Thanos no sold energy blades weapons, gun fire, normal bladed weapons, combined energy and normal blades weapons, tony’s Missiles.

#40 Edited by NWgzsjUwhM96Y2 (4391 posts) - - Show Bio

@phillip33: Maybe she blocksthem just to be safe incase of magic bullets. But this seems like a big maybe. Still tanking a city level punch and getting pierced by a bullet is equally stupid as tanking a nuke but getting burned by a flamethrower. There is literally no excuse for it. If it is consistent in a series that series is too low on the intellectual/logical side to be taken seriously in a www battle just like toon characters.

#41 Edited by phillip33 (4461 posts) - - Show Bio

@nwgzsjuwhm96y2: no because magical bullets have pierced her bracers before. I agree it’s stupid, but comics notoriously don’t explicitly follow the laws of physicals, and by their nature commonly defy them. This is also attributable to comic book movies.

If that’s the case then nearly none of that battles on comicvine are anymore than pointless toon force fights. That’s just a cop out.

#42 Edited by NWgzsjUwhM96Y2 (4391 posts) - - Show Bio

@phillip33: There is a point where it become waay too stupid. I can understand ignoring momentum and relativity but this is on another level. If that really is the case for WW in comics (i only read rebirth ww and seems consistent in pressure durabilit so fary) i really see no point in debating fights about her.

Then they are. If characters don't follow any type of logic there can not be logical debates about them.

#43 Posted by Blueshoecant (1204 posts) - - Show Bio

Just one

#44 Posted by phillip33 (4461 posts) - - Show Bio

@nwgzsjuwhm96y2: you can, you just need to make the distinction between piercing and blunt force durability, which might not be true for real life but is a common trend in comics.

#45 Edited by NWgzsjUwhM96Y2 (4391 posts) - - Show Bio

@phillip33: How small of a surface area gives comic magic piercing boost ? If the magic size is larger than a cm^2 then bullets shouldn't work but since they do and a pinky finger is equally thick as a round edge bullet so all the enemies of WW can kill her by pushing their little finger through her skull. Even a super quick bullet allergie makes more sense.

#46 Posted by phillip33 (4461 posts) - - Show Bio

@nwgzsjuwhm96y2: not sure what you’re asking here. As for the second part of your post, yes logically that would work but going by comic logic it doesn’t. You can’t apply real world physics to comic book characters. Real world physics don’t even apply to 90% of comic book characters power sets.

#47 Posted by macleen (3654 posts) - - Show Bio

All of them. It doesn't have the feats.

#48 Posted by Marvelx13 (359 posts) - - Show Bio

The move straight from the gif?

All of them. Thor used the blunt end of Stormbreaker there. Even then I doubt the sharp end is piercing a Kryptonian

#49 Posted by Crunch5481 (1362 posts) - - Show Bio

@crunch5481: I didnt pull continent busting from my behind bro....the nuke didnt significantly damage DD, the sword did FAR more damage...obviously by your rationale it would have to scale up from the nuke. If you are agreeing magic susceptibility as a likelyhood then I concur....and SB would have the same effect+ as Diana's sword. 1 swing decap.

No it would not have to scale up to the nuke since the most plausible explanation is that the sword is magic and DD is susceptible to magic.

Therefore you did pull that out of nowhere.

IF Stormbreaker is magical, AND magical in a similar enough way to WW's sword then yes Stormbreaker should be able to pierce Doomsday. I disagree that it would decap in one swing because SB isn't big enough to do that. Also, Thor is never getting the chance to.

#50 Posted by NWgzsjUwhM96Y2 (4391 posts) - - Show Bio

@phillip33: Im asking how sharp is sharp enough to be considered piercing attack by “comic logic”. A 9x19 mm bullet is not sharper than a pinky finger.